Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Legend
Legend
PFF is a respected analysis.

However, I would sign McDowell no question. He was a rookie and he played very well at times. He will get better.

He has size, strength, and quickness. As he learns better technique he will improve greatly.

I respect Berry. He brings a blend of scounting background and analytics. As a GM you will never bat 1000 so expectations have to be realistic.

Looking at the Browns roster today if I were Berry I would continue to improve the defense. Of course that does not mean ignore an offense that came apart last year.

I believe the defense has a chance to be really good. We must always look to improve the pass rush. As you watch the playoff games and see the better quarterbacks pressure is a must. You can not allow good quarterbacks time.

We have a large investment in analytics and scouting this is the time when it must pay off.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by cfrs15
I love that your argument is that we should be passing more. It is the only real criticism of Stefanski that makes sense.

And there is also the argument that we should run more. So, we should pass more and run more. If that is the case, then WTF have we been doing? Sacks, interceptions, 3-and-outs, 4-and-outs I guess?

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by CapCity Dawg
I love that your argument is that we should be passing more. It is the only real criticism of Stefanski that makes sense.

And there is also the argument that we should run more. So, we should pass more and run more. If that is the case, then WTF have we been doing? Sacks, interceptions, 3-and-outs, 4-and-outs I guess?

My thought is that we should adjust more - my main gripe with the offense when things were not working in games, we got predictable, we were too conservative, or we went 100% the opposite direction and we tried to be too cute. I think there is a balance that is more aggressive play calling to win and close out games, that doesn't mean gadget plays. Sean Payton, Sean McVay and Andy Reid would be guys I think of that do that well - McVay even with Jared Goff was plenty aggressive when he was closing out games.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
This now becomes the time of Andrew Berry.

He is the focus. His decisions this off season will shape the roster for 2022.

First comes free agency. Who do we want to remain on the team? Who do we let walk?

When that decided it is all about who do we go after? And will they sign with us?

Clowney will get an offer from us. I am not sure if he will sign. IMO we will sign Ward to a large extension.

I think we will sign Njoku, MJ Stewart, Walker, McKinley if he is cleared medically.

I don't think we will sign Colquitt, Malcolm Smith, Higgins, Malik Jackson, Hubbard, or Harrison.

RFA:
Yes to d'earnest Johnson, Stephan Carlson, and Odenigbo. No to McLLaughlin.

ERFA:
All yes to McDowell, Dunn, Hance is borderline.
================================================================================

What free agents or trades that we may pursue?

Calvin Ridley stepped away from football to deal with mental health. The Browns have supported and gave opportunities to McKinley and McDowell.
Ridley is really good. I am sure Berry will contact the Falcons.

I believe we will make offers to Allen Robinson, and Christian Kirk (if Jarvis leaves), Chris Godwin. Can not say who will sign.

We may go after Terron Armstead depending upon the prognosis for Conklin.

Clowney signing with another team would force Berry to go after another pass rusher. Berry may have to come with the best offer. I think he will do it.

M
Legend
Legend
M
That's a really solid list and very realistic for the internal dealings and contract negotiations. I think Malcom Smith might be worth retaining for the right price. Harrison too - he's likely as good as the depth we replace him.

The WR you list are all interesting - Ridley is tier 1 across the whole NFL, that's an interesting angle you put out there and if we could embrace Ridley and he came here, that would be enormous.

As you said - Conklin is the single biggest unknown and area of uncertainty. Hoping he returns 100% - but that injury used to be a career ender.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by bonefish

However, I would sign McDowell no question. He was a rookie and he played very well at times. He will get better.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Well, that was fun while it lasted....

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
These decisions are very important.

Then comes the draft.

Obviously how free agency goes impacts the draft.

The draft is almost three months away. So, I have barely looked at it.

Because of all the controversy surrounding Baker I have peeked at the quarterback class.

I have no idea if Berry will even consider a quarterback in the first round. But he will have to look because it is part of his job to be aware of BPA.

Malik Willis played for Roswell high school which is ten minutes from my home. I watched his highlight tape which I take with a grain of salt.

His physical abilities are off the charts. That is all I can say at this point. I know little else other than he played at Liberty which is way down the food chain.

He is 6' 1" 225 lbs. with 4.4 speed and a cannon arm.

In many ways he looks like part of the new wave quarterbacks Lamar, Lance, Fields, Murray, Tua, Allen. Quarterbacks who are a running threat. They make teams have to plan for their ability to run.

More than likely Berry will not darft a qb with pick 13. However, if you scout a player just to be aware and you are blown away? Then he is there when you pick. You do not want to be a GM and years later think "I should have."

Legend
Legend
Wow!

He just threw away a life.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
My wish is that the Browns go all out to try and win the SB next season. Get Rodgers from GB. Get game breaking WR and play making LB in the draft or FA.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Sure A-a-ron is just dying to come to Cleveland.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I'd argue it wouldn't be the most questionable move he's made this year.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No qb will want to come to cle after the way we acted towards baker

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
1 member likes this: EveDawg
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by superbowldogg

This is laughable. If we trade for Carr or Cousins or Garoppolo or whoever and sign them to an extension worth $35 million a year they’ll come.

1 member likes this: oobernoober
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted by Hammer
Sure A-a-ron is just dying to come to Cleveland.
That's why it's a wish list. Seriously, why are you selling Cleveland short? If the Browns ever want to play in and win a SB it's going to take a dramatic move like getting Rodgers. Like Tampa Bay did when they got Brady!

E
Legend
Legend
E
Why would any elite qb want to come here with the toxic fanbase and hateful dramatic media?

No Craps Given
1 member likes this: THROW LONG
T
Legend
Legend
T
Today the wish is, someone would fix the mechanics, posture, throwing motion, and in pocket decision making of Baker Mayfield, and throwing off a correct foot, and looking off safeties, pump fakes, all that stuff.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

This is laughable. If we trade for Carr or Cousins or Garoppolo or whoever and sign them to an extension worth $35 million a year they’ll come.

You would trade for an average qb with a 35 million dollar salary? I'm guessing, in your opinion, we would need to trade draft picks too?

But Baker at 18 million is too much?

Smh

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by EveDawg
Why would any elite qb want to come here with the toxic fanbase and hateful dramatic media?

Cleveland is not unique in this regard.

C
Legend
Legend
C

You would trade for an average qb with a 35 million dollar salary? I'm guessing, in your opinion, we would need to trade draft picks too?

Smh

Average is a huge upgrade over what we had in 2021. Depending on the cost I would definitely try to upgrade to average. My guess is that the cost would be too much for me.

Any starting level QB is a bargain at $18 million.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Average is a huge upgrade over what we had in 2021. Depending on the cost I would definitely try to upgrade to average. My guess is that the cost would be too much for me.

So you really are Dee Haslam??

M
Legend
Legend
M
Average is a huge upgrade over what we had in 2021.

You continue to harp on along this accurate but short sighted perspective. A perspective that you yourself have suggested Berry is not going to use. It is not about what Baker did in 2021 - injured shoulder, ankle, foot .... it's about his reasonable expectations for how he can perform Stefanski's offense next year when healthy. It's either you or Pit that constantly remind anyone who questions Stefanski's offense how well Baker performed in Stefanski's offense last year. And while you both embrace a single article by PFF showing the Browns had 3 WR open the second most in the NFL this year - neither of you have embraced PFF grading Baker the 5th best QB in the NFL last year over the final 9 games of the season. . . . ey ey ey.

B
Legend
Legend
B

Cleveland is not unique in this regard.

I agree. I was going to say much the same.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Do you guys listen to yourselves? You don't want to pay Baker because he had a bad year (while injured) but you're ok trading for a guy that some other team wants to move on from because he doesn't meet their (the teams) expectations and/or needs and give him 35 million per year extension without playing a down for Cleveland after being rejected by their previous team. Wilson, Rodgers, and Watson all have no-trade clauses and I guarantee you the Browns are nowhere near any of their lists with the Browns WR group and Stefanski's offensive scheme. Carr (age 31) is due 19.8 million in 2022 then a FA, Jimmy G (age 31) is due 27 million in 2022 then a FA, and Cousins (age 34) is due 45 million in 2022 then a FA who all expect to be moved into the top tiers of pay most likely at 40-50 million per year level after next year. You're willing to dump all your eggs into a 1-year drive to a SB with an unknown at QB that will either cost you big bucks prior to stepping on the field or after a year you don't pay and have no QB. If it doesn't work - the Browns don't even have the draft picks to start over with - good plan guys.

Getting rid of Baker brings even bigger cap issues during the off season of 2023 due to the new TV contract. In your minds, bouncing a guy that grew in years 1 and 2 - met expectations in year 3 and played injured in year 4 must happen and you're willing to pay a huge extension to guys that have never played a down in Cleveland and were just rejected by their previous team. F__ing A, let me be the GM of Las Vegas, MIN or SFO. I'll take Baker, your 1st round pick for this year and next for Carr, Cousins or Jimmy G because you're needy. Then I'll extend Baker for 3-4 years for about 28 million backend loaded or use a franchise tag on him and set my offense to his skill set and have 2 first round picks the next 2 years to use on a QB if needed.

Unfortunately, I don't believe that Berry is that stupid and it would be certain career suicide.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
O
Legend
Legend
O

Smh

Any starting level QB is a bargain at $18 million.

Carr and Garrapolo are pretty average and would cost a pretty penny to get here, but I can understand the angle for those 2 given they've had some success in a similar system, and have shown they can do the things required of the QB in this offense.

The Carr thing makes absolutely no sense to me (other than his potentially being available). Correct me if I'm wrong, but Carr is more of a gunslinger-style throwing the ball (in a mediocre fashion) all over the yard. Granted, I haven't watched much of him the past couple years, but back when he was red-hot, that's the offense he was operating.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
My biggest off season wish is for Baker to come back and torch the league.

I mean have a MVP season. That would suit me just fine.

There are a bunch of people I would love to see eating a large dish of crow.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I think the Browns will keep Baker next year and bring in some competition to light a fire in him. I could see the Browns signing Mitchell Trubiski to a 1 year deal as a back up and an experienced interim replacement if Baker's struggles continue. Then maybe draft a Sam Howell in the 2nd round if he is available to develop as a possible replacement.

If Baker works out he is extended and Howell develops as his back up. Trubiski is not resigned.

If Baker struggles the Browns insert Trubiski. Kick the tires on him. Then if that does not work later in the season see what you have in Howell. Let Baker and Trubiski's contracts expire either move forward with Howell or then make a play for the Browns next QB.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
O
Legend
Legend
O
I don't think my psyche could take wasting the careers of both Joe Thomas AND Chubb. I'm done kicking tires, and I suspect that that approach doesn't line up with the analytics (correct me if I'm wrong, but "kicking the tires" is akin to a guess based on nothing but hope... which is how I would characterize bringing in someone like Trubisky).

If he's not on the roster, get someone you know that will work for the offense (ex. Cousins). If not, go for broke on a bonafide star that ends up being available (even someone like Watson, assuming his stuff is sorted out). I cheered for Hunt when he got here, so I should be able to cheer for Watson. Not sure the Texans will get those 3 firsts, but the cost will be steep.

-PrplPplEater
E
Legend
Legend
E
There is a feel for the game there is a time to throw and a time to run. Some of it is determined via tendencies of the D. Please note I'm typing on feel as eye had my monthly eyeball procedure as I received shots in the eyeball it slowly will cleare up. Anyways when you are running the ball at 7 yds per clip that is a good time to RUN more than pass but also usually it is because teams are over playing the pass. What I hate is when you need 8 yds for a 1st and you throw a 2 yard pass by design...I alsways go WHY? WHY? do we do that you modify the play to the line to gain! make that 2 yard pass into a 7 yd pass and let him fall forward for that 1st down!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Legend
Legend
P

While it's not just you, this is an example of what laughable looks like. You obviously haven't seen or followed sports media in places like New York, Chicago, Philly and other major NFL markets. If you had of you would know that the fan base and media here is a cake walk compared to many NFL cities.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by steve0255
Do you guys listen to yourselves?

I think what you're doing is refusing to listen to the Browns FO. It was they who chose to pick up Baker's fifth year option rather than sign him to a contract extension. And that was back in April before this season even began. Can you think of a single thing during the 2021 season that would change their minds? The fact that some of us understand why seems more upsetting to you than the actual people who made the decision. Because it wasn't us. It sounds as if you should be contacting the Browns FO with your concerns.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I don't disagree with you, but there's a portion of Browns fans that are unable to get over the OSU flag-plant. Overall, though, I agree with you.

-PrplPplEater
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
I’d like to see the team add an impactful DT, since McDowell is gone. An addition of a high-level WR would be nice. Mostly, I would like to see all the wounded players get back to their best levels in health and ability. I try to be as realistic in my dreams as possible. I think all three are possible with the cap space soon to be available.

I’d like to see KS call plays to the teams strengths, and adjust better to the other teams.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think we agree here. Sure, there's a few in every crowd. It's just not the ground swell some try to make it out be in order to blame the fan base for questioning Baker.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: oobernoober
O
Legend
Legend
O
I've mentioned a few times that I think Cleveland has the worst sports media in the US, but I don't think it's the toughest. So with those two things together, I think if Baker Mayfield can't handle media/fanbase here, he's probably not cut out to be a pro QB. I don't think this is the case, despite some of his outbursts in the media. I think he's fiery, but not thin-skinned (just my take/opinion).

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
When he was first drafted I saw signs of immaturity I thought were obvious. But from my perspective he has matured a lot since then. And if by "worst sports media" you mean the most uninformed and speculative I might agree with you. But then that's something I haven't looked into deeply on a national level..

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Yes and yes.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
And if by "worst sports media" you mean the most uninformed and speculative I might agree with you.

Muckrakers.
It's literally a significant segment of Cleveland media in general. It's not just limited to sports, but sports certainly isn't skipped over.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Is there something I am not aware of that is preventing us from franchising Clowney?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Cost? $17.5M projected cost. Is that going to be too much? I don't know.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Off-season wish list.

Link Copied to Clipboard