Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Legend
Legend
I’m seeing some mock drafts with us taking a QB in the 1st round and also retaining Baker. I actually can see that happening.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think the top ten picks would have to REALLY fall a certain way for us to do that. I don't think Baker's body of work is such that the FO would ignore a slam dunk move to improve the position, I just think it's highly unlikely one of those will present itself.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
There was this Buckeye loss about (5) years ago to a Baker team...an attempted flag plant...and fans with grudges, allegiance to the grail of Buckeye and memories like elephants. I'd peg that as THE reason why half the fan base hates the guy.

rofl

And everyone hated Braylon because he played for Michigan. Good God.

Yeah, I know a few people that can't separate the entertainment of football from it's effect on their life.
I get being down after a loss or bad season, but I know a couple guys who just become miserable. You'd rather talk politics with them than football, it can be that bad.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
I’m seeing some mock drafts with us taking a QB in the 1st round and also retaining Baker. I actually can see that happening.

I was thinking that maybe Corral could drop because he just had that leg injury and Qb's are pretty sketchy this year anyways. Taking any of these qb's top 10 would be risky, so we actually might be able to take a flyer on a guy like Corral. Not sure the extent of the injury, might be just a sprain but I'd be surprised to see a QB go top 10, but I guess if one did it would probably be Corral

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Damanshot
Just Clicking

All the hate for Mayfield is baffling. We went 11/5 last year with a healthy Mayfield. If Baker is Healthy he is our best chance..

There was this Buckeye loss about (5) years ago to a Baker team...an attempted flag plant...and fans with grudges, allegiance to the grail of Buckeye and memories like elephants. I'd peg that as THE reason why half the fan base hates the guy.

yet, he led the Browns to 11-5 and that's not good enough? Yikes, people can be dumb if that's the reason

Last edited by Damanshot; 01/12/22 02:01 PM.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

rofl

But somehow we all loved Steve Everitt.

2 members like this: CapCity Dawg, PitDAWG
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c...

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

rofl

Hey genius...how many Buckeye fans do you run into in Smyrna TN?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quite a few actually. As well as Browns fans. The job opportunities here are fantastic and there's more people where I live, which is close to Nashville, that are from out of state than there are from here.

People said the same thing about Braylon because he was from Michigan. But you see, you are using the old and tired excuse. Because as much as I want Baker to be the answer, he was stinking up the joint. Fans had high expectations for this season. Just read the season prediction thread. Those people were OSU fans when they made those predictions too. The frustration of Browns fans because of their own expetarions are at least partly their own fault. Those are the reasons you were and are hearing so many people bag on Baker. Because the vast majority of those same people were singing his praises at the end of last season. And they were OSU fans then too.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
I will say this, as I thought it earlier when reading WSU's question: OSU fans are everywhere, as are Browns fans, and ESPECIALLY in areas like Nashville, Phoenix - those 2 come to mind as they are 'newer' major cities. They also have, due to so many move ins over the years, fans of every nfl team, and most major college teams.

As for Baker, Braylon - personally I don't care WHERE they went to college. I care that they do/did play for the Browns.

Legend
Legend
I mentioned this in the draft thread.

It is possible.

IMO they would have to love the guy and see great value at 13. All in the eyes of the beholder.

I still believe they will take a pass rusher if a good one is there.

At the same time I don't think the Browns will remain pat with the currrent quarterbacks on the roster.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Thom Darden was one of my fave Browns way back when. 3 time All Pro Safety who happened to come from UM.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
are we really rolling 11 million over to next year on top of the expanded cap? that will give us around 39 million in space?

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
are we really rolling 11 million over to next year on top of the expanded cap? that will give us around 39 million in space?

Damn you, Analytics!!

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: oobernoober
Legend
Legend
rofl

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
Originally Posted by superbowldogg

Damn you, Analytics!!

I am all for analytics. But this is more about being smart, understanding business, and knowing the NFL rules...oh, not having to pay for a franchise QB.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
As for Baker, Braylon - personally I don't care WHERE they went to college. I care that they do/did play for the Browns.

Most Browns fans are the same way. I know I am as well.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
jc - wasn't sure which thread thisfit into best so putting it here

3 Browns moves could save team $30 million in cap space in 2022
Jared Mueller
Mon, January 17, 2022, 6:11 PM·3 min read

Earlier, we noted that the Cleveland Browns rolled over $10 million in salary-cap space from 2021 to 2022. That rollover boosted the team’s available cap space to $37 million but gave them only the 13th most cap space going into the 2022 season. The Miami Dolphins are currently set to lead the lead in space with a whopping $73 million.

The Browns have work to do on their roster for next year. They have stated they expect Baker Mayfield to have a bounce-back year but will need talent around him to do it. Given the struggles in 2021, it is possible that the team also shakes up the roster some.

There are three moves Cleveland could make to quickly add about $30 million in cap space. All three of the moves would come on the offensive side of the ball but Andrew Berry and company still could decide to make.

- ADVERTISEMENT -

The biggest move, both in terms of cap space and name value, is cutting WR Jarvis Landry. Landry has one year left on his contract and is coming off the worst performance, and health, of his career. While the Browns need help at receiver, it is possible that Landry and the team decide it is best for them to part ways.

Releasing Landry frees up $15.1 million in cap space while only counting $1.5 million in dead cap.

Continuing on with older veterans with some health issues, OL J.C. Tretter could also be cut by the team. Nick Harris looked good in his place late in the season and Tretter’s departure would save the team over $8 million in cap space while only counting $1.625 million against the cap. Tretter has been an important leader for the offensive line but his knee has limited him for a few seasons.

Tretter’s role as NFLPA president has also placed extra attention on his role as a player in Cleveland.

Finally, the third release is backup QB Case Keenum. While many are calling for more competition for Mayfield, not less, the team played their injured quarterback over their backup most of the year. They showed how they feel about Keenum and can save $6.5 million in releasing him while only counting $1.33 against the salary cap.

Combined, those three moves would save the team $29.85 million in salary-cap space. That would jump their available space up to $67 million and slot them at third in the league, based on current expectations from Over the Cap.

TE Austin Hooper could be released post-June 1st to save the team $9.5 million but cost them $3.75 million in dead cap space.

OL Jack Conklin is another name that could save the team cap space in the last year of his deal but his dead cap hit is higher than the team’s savings ($9 million to $6 million). The only other player whose departure could save Cleveland significant cap space is RB Kareem Hunt, $6.25 million, but that seems highly unlikely.

https://sports.yahoo.com/3-browns-moves-could-save-231144241.html

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
T
Legend
Legend
T
What do they call the Trophy for the most cap space?

The Browns treat offense, and the passing game like a Basketball team that refuses by rule to use a 3 point shot.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
DePodesta through the Browns front office has a large analytics budget.

That means their analysis will carry weight.

Contracts, free agency and the draft are analytic pressure points.

All that you posted will be under serious evaluation.

Something else will be as well. PFF and QBR are measures that fall under analytics.

The Browns under Berry and DePodesta will evaluate quarterback performance under an analytics scope.

I have to believe that something will happen to the current quarterback room.

Case in point the 49'ers. Jimmy G was their quarterback. They decided he was ok but not good enough.
The San Francisco 49ers paid a hefty price to leap from No. 12 overall to No. 3 to snag Trey Lance in the first round of the 2021 NFL Draft.

The Niners essentially placed their future in Lance's hands, sending three first-round picks to Miami for the right to select the dynamic, dual-threat quarterback. San Francisco doesn't have a first-round pick until 2024 and is also out a third-rounder in 2022.

It is sure within reason that the Browns will be looking a quarterback in this years draft.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
It won't matter who the Browns get if Stefanski is hell bent on finding a system QB. He might find that QB but what will they sacrifice to get him? Obviously, the first sacrifice is explosiveness and a lack luster passing game. The second could and very well would be future high draft picks. Finally, revamping the WR group outside of the draft - not a viable drawing card for FA's to a QB managed team rather than a chemistry driven explosive team.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
C
Legend
Legend
C
I don’t think you understand how free agency works.

2 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, PitDAWG
Legend
Legend
When the GM says "coach here is your roster go win games."

The head coach plays the hand he is delt.

The Browns have a dynamic runners. They invested in their OL.

You don't throw that away. You play the hand.

The offense we run is not much different than the 49'ers or the Titans. Both teams are in the playoffs and the Titans have the number one seed.
==========================================================================================

During the season when I heard AVP say basically we are not a good passing offense right now. He was honest.

Clearly passing was not the strength of the team. You can look at that from many angles. Personnel, injury, etc.

Now the off season is here. Everything shifts to the GM and his immediate staff. You evaluate the roster and formulate the best path to improve.

The roster will change. New players will be added and others will leave. Berry will make changes at receiver that is a given. I also believe that the quarterback room will change. I doubt that both Baker and Keenum will be there. One maybe gone. Maybe both.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Baker Mayfield says his torn labrum surgery was a complete success: ‘This is not the end of my story; let’s go get it’

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...and-this-is-not-the-end-of-my-story.html

1 member likes this: EveDawg
Legend
Legend
Go get 'em Baker.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
1 member likes this: PastorMarc
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by bonefish

Something else will be as well. PFF and QBR are measures that fall under analytics.

The Browns under Berry and DePodesta will evaluate quarterback performance under an analytics scope.

Case in point the 49'ers. Jimmy G was their quarterback. They decided he was ok but not good enough.
The San Francisco 49ers paid a hefty price to leap from No. 12 overall to No. 3 to snag Trey Lance in the first round of the 2021 NFL Draft.

The Niners essentially placed their future in Lance's hands, sending three first-round picks to Miami for the right to select the dynamic, dual-threat quarterback. San Francisco doesn't have a first-round pick until 2024 and is also out a third-rounder in 2022.

It is sure within reason that the Browns will be looking a quarterback in this years draft.

Could be.

Next year is the good QB draft. We may go for one this year, but my feeling is we stick with Baker. My guess is we trade down some to build picks and draft a QB next year if Baker flops again or has a asking price beyond his worth.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
I do hope this FO is hoping Baker pans out while planning that he doesn't.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I think going with a healthy Baker next season is the most prudent thing to do for both sides. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be looking for a better QB backup or even a QB that could step in and start if need be. If we see more of the same from Baker next year than it's time to look for a replacement. JMO

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by oobernoober

Same... and I agree with baleen... would like to see us stick with Baker this year to see if he works out but try our best to build draft capital for next year just in case.

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by oobernoober

It's the only sensible way to proceed.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

Could be.

Next year is the good QB draft. We may go for one this year, but my feeling is we stick with Baker. My guess is we trade down some to build picks and draft a QB next year if Baker flops again or has a asking price beyond his worth.

This is what I’ve said a couple times.

Keep options open through FA/trades. Expect Baker to be back on his cheap contract and by not losing a bunch of draft picks through trade. Use the saved money by keeping his cheap contract to fill holes in FA.

Hopefully find a trade partner during the draft to pick up a second 1st rounder for next years draft (this is one of the reasons I was hoping to lose that last game = better value draft position). If Baker balls out, great re-sign him.

If not, should be a very strong QB draft class next year. Pick your QB or trade up for one with the original pick and the extra 1st rounder.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We could always get Famous Jameis Interception Winston...LOL

Legend
Legend
Drafting a quarterback is never a sure thing.

The history of the draft makes that clear.

One year or another makes no difference. Unless you have an elite young qb like Mahomes; you should always look to improve the position.

Matt Corral, Ole Miss (6-0, 220 pounds) ...
Kenny Pickett, Pittsburgh (6-3, 220 pounds) ...
Malik Willis, Liberty (6-1, 225 pounds) ...
Sam Howell, North Carolina (6-1, 220 pounds) ...
Desmond Ridder, Cincinnati (6-4, 215 pounds) ...
Carson Strong, Nevada (6-4, 215 pounds)

These are the guys considered to be the best prospects in this draft.

The Browns pick at 13. None of these guys are expected to go early. Kiper has Washington at 11 taking the first qb.

The Browns should evaluate these guys like any prospects. If one grades out as the BPA when they pick at 13. He must be a consideration.

Forget all else. If they really like one of these players and that player is there forget the year.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Drafting a quarterback is never a sure thing.

The history of the draft makes that clear.

One year or another makes no difference. Unless you have an elite young qb like Mahomes; you should always look to improve the position.

Matt Corral, Ole Miss (6-0, 220 pounds) ...
Kenny Pickett, Pittsburgh (6-3, 220 pounds) ...
Malik Willis, Liberty (6-1, 225 pounds) ...
Sam Howell, North Carolina (6-1, 220 pounds) ...
Desmond Ridder, Cincinnati (6-4, 215 pounds) ...
Carson Strong, Nevada (6-4, 215 pounds)

These are the guys considered to be the best prospects in this draft.

The Browns pick at 13. None of these guys are expected to go early. Kiper has Washington at 11 taking the first qb.

The Browns should evaluate these guys like any prospects. If one grades out as the BPA when they pick at 13. He must be a consideration.

Forget all else. If they really like one of these players and that player is there forget the year.

I thought Wentz would be a sure HOFer...how is that working out...lol you can never tell again it would be one of the biggest mistakes by the Browns if we got rid of Baker...the best !B on our roster in a long ong time

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Thats the thing. The bar for QBs was.set very low when Baker
Was drafted. Baker is clearly better than the last 22 failures
Before him. But the question is, can Baker ever get to the upper
Tier of NFL?
Being better than the past doesnt make you the long term
Answer for the present and future.
Right now he is the 3rd best QB in the North.
I dont think Berry and Stefanski are totally sold on him
I.think of the organization.was totally on board he would
Have got a 2nd deal like Allen

Legend
Legend
I am 100% behind Baker getting this year to prove what he can do.

Nothing would please me more than to see him play great. Then sign him.

However, you hope for the best and plan for the worst.

The Browns must be prepared to move on if Baker gets hurt or plays bad football.

You don't want to be Berry with pick 13 and five years from now be saying "I wish I would have."

Yes we have other holes to fill. But if the BPA in 2022 at pick 13 is a quarterback and you love the guy. Draft him.

Look at the 49 'ers, and GB both drafted quarterbacks.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I agree. Roll with Baker in '22 and hope he does well but prepare in case he doesn't. Prudent thinking. We have some weak spots on the roster; WR, D-line and LB, that need attention. Let's strengthen those positions up.

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 01/20/22 08:02 PM.
B
Legend
Legend
B

The Browns must be prepared to move on if Baker gets hurt or plays bad football.

You don't want to be Berry with pick 13 and five years from now be saying "I wish I would have."

Yes we have other holes to fill. But if the BPA in 2022 at pick 13 is a quarterback and you love the guy. Draft him.

I agree....it's just that next years QB class looks much stronger. I doubt any available at 13 would be BPA, and I sure wouldn't want to trade up. But....you never know how some might be ranked.

One advantage in drafting a guy this year is it might light a fire under Bakers butt, and we would already have a guy in pocket if Baker feels he is worth way more than we feel. If we wait until next year we might be a bit over the barrel and need to trade up. Other teams price in trade would go up, knowing we want to move on from Baker.

Last edited by Ballpeen; 01/20/22 08:29 PM.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

I agree....it's just that next years QB class looks much stronger. I doubt any available at 13 would be BPA, and I sure wouldn't want to trade up. But....you never know how some might be ranked.

One advantage in drafting a guy this year is it might light a fire under Bakers butt, and we would already have a guy in pocket if Baker feels he is worth way more than we feel. If we wait until next year we might be a bit over the barrel and need to trade up. Other teams price in trade would go up, knowing we want to move on from Baker.

I am just not a fan of this years QBs. I would take one in the third round, if they are in the value chart. I just think the best course of action is to keep Baker for another year, draft a mid rounder or bring in a capable backup. If Baker fails, then the capable backup could be the bridge for next years drafted QB. Or you could just pick one up off the FA scrap pile next year to start the season (i.e. not these specific players but a former starter like Dalton/Fitzpatrick/Trubisky etc. ) and have the draft pick sit and learn.

Sure the draft isn't a definite, but picking up a scrap pile FA QB isn't either.

As Peen and I said, next years QB possibles look stronger with a lot more talent. Just to name two from the class: the growth of Stroud and Young from the beginning of the season to the end was amazing to watch.

But we definitely both agree that I would LOVE if Baker balls out next year. I don't believe in his vision/seeing the field, my opinion is it's one of the reasons that Step used the empty backfield a decent amount. But i really hope my opinion is bs on that and he is awarded another contract b/c of his play next year.

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Someone recently ripped Carson Wentz, and I understand it to a point. He can be inconsistent. But he threw 27 TDS and 7 picks this year. Where would we be if we had a QB who did that? We could be a No. 1 seed, maybe.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News & Notes (Continued)

Link Copied to Clipboard