Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Our coach makes the decisions on who plays and who doesn't.

Those who believe the comment above..might have their heads so far in the sand, they may never see daylight again.

There is hope though..ostriches don't survive long in the Berea environment...time to face reality when it comes to understanding how many fingers were involved in running "all aspects" of the Browns.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mac

Those who believe the comment above..might have their heads so far in the sand, they may never see daylight again.

There is hope though..ostriches don't survive long in the Berea environment...time to face reality when it comes to understanding how many fingers were involved in running "all aspects" of the Browns.

Do you seriously think Depodesta decides who plays on Sunday?

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by jfanent
Originally Posted by mac

We already know the answer to this, don't we?

Tackles are tackles.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Analyze that:> I was just thinking again, how insulted I am, as a Browns fan, that the team I love and support,
COULDN'T Keep OBJ on the !! TEAM! Until the season ended, no matter if he wanted to or not!
You put him on the Bench! and you don't cut him until the season ends. You have some integrity as an organization.

But NO! YOU SLAP YOUR FANS IN THE FACE, you put him in ANOTHER UNIFORM, THIS SAME YEAR!!!!!!!
Is there never an end to the idiocy.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mac

Those who don't believe Peens post need to start all of their posts with "Once upon a time" I mean if your going to post Fairy Tales you might as well do it right rolleyes

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by mac

What I've had enough of is this thread, and your baseless accusations and refusal to address any of the evidenced-based arguments against your bologna.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
[quote=mgh888]https://www.beaconjournal.com/story...leveland-browns-andrew-berry/9236148002/

In his introductory press conference with the Minnesota Vikings Thursday, Kwesi Adofo-Mensah had a message for Northeast Ohio fans as he praised his mentor, Browns General Manager Andrew Berry.

“Cleveland, you have a rock star in that seat. Please appreciate him,” Adofo-Mensah said.[/quot

Imagine that..under Berry's mentoring for 1 yr and 8 months and working 1 draft with Berry and Mensah is ready to take over as Vikings GM. I wish him well except when playing the Browns.

(note)..I do wonder if there could be additional considerations concerning future dealings between the Browns and Vikings. Having good trading partners is certainly a plus.

Legend
Legend

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: oobernoober
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by mac

Don't believe I said that..that Depo decides who plays on Sunday.

Andrew Berry made it clear with his comment below, what the priorities are when it comes to how the Browns operate under Haslam, Depo and our GM....

... "Since taking over Cleveland’s General Manager job back in 2020, Andrew Berry has made a point to heavily emphasize analytics in all aspects of his football team. From coaching tactics, to player scouting, to sport science techniques, analytics are playing a huge role in multiple facets of the Browns’ organization."

P
Legend
Legend
P
You most certainly said it wasn't Stefanski who decided which players played and which ones didn't. Once again with nothing to back it up.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Let me add this...Many on this board and across the internet have commented how Stefanski's play calling did not look like it did in Stefanski's first season. Don't take my word..just read.

link

Grading Kevin Stefanski’s 2021 Season

By Pat Opperman January 16, 2022 @opperman_pat

(Photo by Jason Miller/Getty Images)

Did you ever find yourself dreading the comments and inevitable judgments sure to follow an abject failure?

Kevin Stefanski of the Cleveland Browns should feel that way about now, maybe even for the past month or so.

Someone with a history of failure might fear getting fired or having to repeat a school grade.

LATEST VIDEOS (click link to see video link)

(Tweet from 92.3 The Fan)
#Browns HC Kevin Stefanski: "Our record is 8-9. You own it. You wear it. It's, ultimately, short of your goals. Moving forward, finding ways to improve and learning from some of those lessons..."
3:33 PM · Jan 10, 2022

Fortunately for Stefanski, he has enough prior success to expect some grace from the powers that be.

But that doesn’t change the fact he did not meet expectations, thanks to some really questionable decisions.

And that is what the 2021 season comes down to for the Ivy League head coach and his assistants.

There is plenty of blame to share among his minions, but here is how we’re grading Kevin Stefanski’s 2021 season.

Preseason Preparation – C 

This is the most difficult grade to assign, since we weren’t privy to much in the preseason.

But we did see Stefanski rest almost all of his starters for almost the entire slate of games.

This brought the Browns into the season opener with a full roster of uninjured starters.

92.3 The Fan
HC Kevin Stefanski on @CLETalkingHeads: “Respectfully, I’ll never ever blame injuries for how we perform. I think we have good depth. That’s just the nature of the NFL and that’s what by it’s so important to have your depth ready to go.”
10:50 AM · Jan 13, 2022

But while the offense did well out of the gate for three quarters, the defense obviously needed time to gel.

Multiple additions to the mix might have warranted more game experience before the Kansas City affair.

Joe Woods noted his younger players were not exposed to the entire package before September.

But the team looked okay overall, and given the limits of the Covid era, we’ll say Stefanski had the team prepared.

Game Planning- C-minus

Short of a future telltale novel, we might never know if Baker Mayfield ran the offense as Stefanski expected.

For those who don’t know, each play call has at least 2 options for the quarterback to choose or change to.

More than once this season, Stefanski was caught directing sideways glances at Baker Mayfield.

And cameras caught the coach asking his quarterback, “What the h— are you doing?” during one game.

But since he did nothing to address any playcalling issues, we have to put the game plans on the head coach.

To say they were vanilla is an insult to vanilla unless you acknowledge some swirls and nuts.

Stefanski never seemed to properly adjust to his injured passer, missing linemen, or substandard receiving corps.

In-Game Playcalling: F

It might surprise fans to learn the Browns ran about the same number of run plays as they did in 2020.

If it seemed like the Browns ran far less often, it’s probably because they did not run when we most expected.

Deception is nice, but Stefanski wasn’t deceptive as much as he was illogical.

Roberto Shenanigans
@Rob_Shenanigans
On the very first drive of the game, D'Ernest Johnson ran the ball 4 times for 58 yards (14.5 YPA). The #Browns ran the ball just 3 more times in the entire rest of the 1st half.

It's time to have an uncomfortable conversation about Kevin Stefanski's play-calling.
2:37 PM · Nov 14, 2021

t’s one thing to line up like you are going to run just to sneak a tight end or wideout behind the defense.

But it raises justifiable questions to go empty backfield in running situations, removing any question of his intent.

Stefanski made some ill-reasoned adjustments to defensive schemes and went too conservative with a lead all year.

As an example, 5 linemen and 3 tight ends should handle an 8 man front as effectively as a 4-wide, empty backfield.

Off Field/Locker Room: D-minus

This is largely a judgment call since we were not in the locker room for the most part.

And we understand Stefanski tried to deal with Covid by separating the offense and defense indoors.

But the result was multiple players talking about the diminished “team” feeling and bond throughout the year.

Tom Withers
@twithersAP
During radio interview with @CLETalkingHeads, #Browns coach Kevin Stefanski reiterates he and Baker Mayfield were well together, respect each other.
10:47 AM · Jan 13, 2022

After the Odell Beckham fiasco, Myles Garrett said the defense didn’t know what was happening until it was over.

And Baker Mayfield kept telling people important decisions were his to make, or after he spoke with Emily and his agent.

Through it all, Stefanski remained even-keeled, even as he contradicted players’ takes on some issues.

But even-keeled only works if you’re above the water, and Stefanski needed to rise up and assert his authority.

Overall Grade: D

Eight wins is far short of the Cleveland Browns’ goal and expectations for the 2021 season.

But it is a far cry from the hopelessness and mockery of seasons past.

Injuries, Covid, player disruptions, and a difficult schedule presented serious challenges to the second-year head coach.

Camryn Justice
@camijustice
#Browns Greg Newsome II on how to bounce back next season:

"Forget about the season that we had but also remember it. Got to remember what it felt like to not make the playoffs. Remember what it felt like to go 8-9 after coming from a season where they won a playoff game."
1:46 PM · Jan 10, 2022

But he is a smart guy and he will undoubtedly look at it all and seek answers he can not find by himself.

Cleveland lost 6 games by less than one score, and that can be considered a positive factor.

Teams that lose a bunch of close games one season tend to over-correct in the following one.

And we trust Stefanski, Berry, and the players will be motivated by this year’s disappointment beyond 2022.

P
Legend
Legend
P
So you mean to tell me that when your QB has a torn labrum it causes his play calling to change and be limited? I had no idea. And your're using a fan who retired from his job who now writes about the browns as your proof? Sounds convincing to me.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
And an Oline with injuries throughout that went from best to mediocre (in a run-based offense). My favorite, though.....

"Off Field/Locker Room: D-minus

This is largely a judgment call since we were not in the locker room for the most part."

I'll paraphrase. 'We have nothing to back up this hot take... we're just arbitrarily assigning a low grade because reasons'.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
Legend
Legend
C
I always want to read subjective grades based on nothing written by Pat Opperman.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by cfrs15
I always want to read subjective grades based on nothing written by Pat Opperman.

And let's not ignore the authoritative takes by a one, Roberto Shenanigans!

Browns Nation - A community blog by and for disgruntled anti-analytics fans.

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
This thread hasn’t died a horrible death yet? Wow.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mac
Originally Posted by mac

Don't believe I said that..that Depo decides who plays on Sunday.

Andrew Berry made it clear with his comment below, what the priorities are when it comes to how the Browns operate under Haslam, Depo and our GM....

... "Since taking over Cleveland’s General Manager job back in 2020, Andrew Berry has made a point to heavily emphasize analytics in all aspects of his football team. From coaching tactics, to player scouting, to sport science techniques, analytics are playing a huge role in multiple facets of the Browns’ organization."

You practically did. With your constant referencing of Depo and your response to Peen, those are pretty easy dots to connect. Your unconvincing explanation says nothing about gameday roster decisions.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
T
Legend
Legend
T
If Depodesta thinks games are not won on field goals early in the game, seriously?
If Depodesta is going to say that on C.Browns.Daily. If he doesn't want to score field goals in the early parts of a game,
then He has to be replaced!
Because points matter.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
WOW...the playoffs could not have worked out worse for the Cleveland Browns..Bengals win then Beckham runs his mouth talking bad about the Cleveland Browns and after playing a good game yesterday for the Rams JR takes another jab at Cleveland... the headline this morning reads...

...Odell Beckham Jr.: Everything about this place is right

I expect JR to continue his anti Cleveland campaign, directly and indirectly.

If everything is right about LA, should the Browns be concerned about what might be wrong in Cleveland? I do believe the Browns franchise needs to ask themselves about the criticism with some honest self examination.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Everything is right about LA, until it's not. If there has been anything consistent about his time in the NFL, it's that he'll get frustrated over something and the situation will blow up and become untenable.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
After two seasons with Berry and Stefanski my opinion is they do look in the mirror.

They are objective about the organization from top to bottom.

In reference to Odell you have to consider the source. His history is easy to research.

The Bengals congratulations. They went from four wins to going to the Super Bowl. It shows what can be done if you make good decisions, play hard, and believe you can win.

Honestly, I am not down on the Browns. Looking back over this season their ending record is understandable. Disappointing no doubt.

Can they learn from 2021 sure they can. And, I believe they will.

In the end Browns fans must either trust in Berry and Stefanski or not. Because the future is in their hands.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by oobernoober
Everything is right about LA, until it's not. If there has been anything consistent about his time in the NFL, it's that he'll get frustrated over something and the situation will blow up and become untenable.

Not if you listen to this board and OBJ's comments. According to the evidence he hasn't been happy to be here from the very beginning. That flies in the face of "he'll get frustrated over something".

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
He got frustrated over being traded here (?). He was in NYC getting passes from Eli and wasn't happy.

-PrplPplEater
T
Legend
Legend
T
Whoever decided who plays on Sundays, didn't have the machismo to bench an injured Baker and keep it in place for the duration.
^
Now is that comment, mostly true, somewhat true, somewhat false, or completely false?

P
Legend
Legend
P
He got frustrated over being traded here (?). He was in NYC getting passes from Eli and wasn't happy.

The Giants went 3-12 in 2017. They went 5-11 in 2018.

OBJ was traded to the Browns in the spring of 2019.

Eli was benched after 4 starts in 2019 by Daniel Jones. It seems as though the Giants weren't very happy with Eli at that point either.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Analytics had nothing to do with the myriad of injuries we suffered this season. Everyone went down at some point. This is the same team and staff that not only got us to the playoffs the year before but actually won a playoff game and gave the Chiefs a good game the next week. This can happen sometimes. What you don't want to do is freak out and start firing everyone again. This time NEXT year we will know a lot more about where we stand. At QB as well as organizationally.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
So, who decided to play an injured Baker Mayfield while a healthy backup, Case Keenum sat on the bench?

The article below touches on that question/subject. Some who believe all decisions concerning the players need to read the partial story below. If folks want to read the entire article, click the link below.

What about Kevin Stefanski’s offense? Would a receiver want to come to the Browns? Hey, Terry!
Updated: Jan. 31, 2022, 10:13 a.m. | Published: Jan. 30, 2022, 5:56 a.m.

Hey, Terry: Who is really responsible for Baker Mayfield playing while injured? Was it ultimately Baker’s call or did Coach Stefanski make the final decision? I want to know who to be angry at. – Dean Major.

Hey, Dean: Let’s start with the medical aspect. The Browns’ medical people and Baker’s medical people had a voice in his being “cleared to play.” Baker wanted to play, but so what? Just because a player wants to play doesn’t mean the coach has to play him.

I say that as someone who sat on benches for two sports at Benedictine and then a year at Hiram College for baseball. I always “wanted to play.” I was seldom granted that request. The guys playing ahead of me were better.

For reasons I fail to understand, the Browns brass failed to see that on some Sundays, a healthy Case Keenum was a wiser option. That decision rests with the coaching staff and the front office. They fell into the trap of “our starting QB is our starter as long as he can play.”

My counter is this: He’s your starter as long as he can play like a viable starter, which Baker didn’t in his final six games.

Hey, Terry: I recall that when Mayfield was selected as the first pick, a significant part of that was due to Jimmy Haslam being enamored with him. Any inkling where he stands with the owner this season? – Tom Jump.

Dear Tom: You have Baker mixed up with Johnny Manziel, who was a favorite of Haslam. I wrote a long chapter about that 2014 draft in my book, Browns Blues. Former GM John Dorsey was enamored with Mayfield. He even scouted Mayfield in person after being fired by Kansas City and hired by the Browns as GM in 2017. Analytics sites such as Profootballfocus also gave Baker their highest QB grade in the 2018 draft.

link

O
Legend
Legend
O
The drama with OBJ in NY lasted longer than those 2 years.

-PrplPplEater
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
oobs...you totally miss the point and subject of this article as it applies to the subject of this thread...ANALYTICS and just how far the Browns management is involved in the decision making process of the Browns.

Many want to pretend that Stefanski is the sole authority when it comes to player personnel...reading this article would seem to indicate that the front office IS INVOLVED in personnel decisions, such as playing an injured Mayfield...just say'n.

For reasons I fail to understand, the Browns brass failed to see that on some Sundays, a healthy Case Keenum was a wiser option. That decision rests with the coaching staff and the front office.

P
Legend
Legend
P
The drama with OBJ in NY lasted longer than those 2 years.

Would you care to show just how long it lasted? And I'm not talking about "drama". I'm talking about your assertion. That he didn't want to play with Eli. Because I sure don't recall it being longer than that. Like many QB's do when they age, their skills sometimes drop right off the cliff. That's what happened to Eli. You brought up the fact he didn't like playing with Eli and I showed you why. If this desire to leave the Giants went back several years because he didn't want to play with Eli, I would sure like to see the evidence of it. And not "rumors". We all know if OBJ was unhappy he would be telling people.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Maybe you should write Haslam and tell him Terry Pluto should be the Browns HC. rofl How much time do you spend searching for articles with which to attack the coaching staff and FO?

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by mac
[color:#FFFFCC]oobs...you totally miss the point and subject of this article as it applies to the subject of this thread...

That is probably one of the few verifiable statements you've made in this thread.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
I am talking about 'drama' as, in this thread, that is what the original topic was about (OBJ is now happy in LA, I said he'll only be happy until he's not).

I didn't dig, but OBJ first called out his teammates (that I could find) after his 'rumble in the Carolina jungle' vs Norman.

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/201...es-didnt-have-my-back-carolina-panthers/

IIRC, that was before he even got his big contract extension. The kicking net incident happened around then as well (same season). I think that was 2016 (I'm going off memory here, so don't skewer me on dates). The kicking net incident happened because he had his man beat and Eli either missed him or didn't look his direction.

TLDR: drama follows this guy because guy is a drama queen.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't see being upset about a play here and there as not wanting to play with Eli. Thus he signed a long term contract with the Giants after the incident. I think the biggest indicator was him signing that contract to stay with the Giants. If he wanted to leave, he would have left then. People see some of these things differently. Let's take HC's for example. If they throw a fit about every mistake a player makes and every close call on the field by the officials, people often say they're competitive and have a fire in their belly. That wearing their emotions on their sleeve is a positive. When OBJ does it, for those who don't like him, they claim he's a drama queen.

Let me give you another example. We saw a poster just the other day on this very board show a video clip where OBJ said he wanted to score a TD. Another players said he just wanted to win. Now this was supposed to show OBJ being some kind of selfish player. I don't know about you but I certainly hope that every player that touches the football, every time they touch the football, wants to score a TD. As I understand it scoring points is the goal and you can't win without scoring touchdowns.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Maybe you should write Haslam and tell him Terry Pluto should be the Browns HC. rofl How much time do you spend searching for articles with which to attack the coaching staff and FO?

Pit...how bout this..

...the article I referenced for my post was really old...but you have no freaking idea because your #1 reason for posting is.. you just want to troll.

Updated: Jan. 31, 2022, 10:13 a.m. | Published: Jan. 30, 2022, 5:56 a.m.

link

I don't know how anyone can take you seriously concerning the subject matter of this thread.

Last edited by mac; 02/01/22 03:46 PM.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think your problem is that nobody takes your posts seriously in this thread. If you weren't aware of that obviously you haven't been reading the responses. You're welcome.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
oobs...you totally miss the point and subject of this article as it applies to the subject of this thread...ANALYTICS and just how far the Browns management is involved in the decision making process of the Browns.

Many want to pretend that Stefanski is the sole authority when it comes to player personnel...reading this article would seem to indicate that the front office IS INVOLVED in personnel decisions, such as playing an injured Mayfield...just say'n.

Ok enough is enough. Just admit you have no, zero,clue about what goes on with the Browns or any NFL team. You make crap up on a daily basis and try to convince others your fantasy's are real. I can only pray that most folks around here realize just how personal your posts are, and that they are directed at your own fantasy's instead of reality.
You really need to look in the mirror and take a hard look at why you post fantasy instead of facts.

Last edited by GMdawg; 02/01/22 04:34 PM.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
GN...nearly everything I post comes with a link to backup my point of view.

I do admit to having opinions that are based on "football" and my own personal experiences playing the game in HS and College.

This claim about making things up is pure bullcrap from you and a few others.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Paul DePodesta confident Browns can regain, maintain top-10 status in all 3 phases

DePodesta believes the Browns aren’t far from being a team capable of making a deep playoff run in 2022

Feb 01, 2022 at 04:42 PM
Anthony Poisal
Staff Writer

Browns Chief Strategy Officer Paul DePodesta believes the Browns aren't far from returning to a playoff-caliber level.

The expectation for 2021, of course, was to be at that level and go even farther into the playoffs than 2020, when the Browns snapped an 18-year playoff drought and advanced to the AFC Divisional Round for the first time since 1994. The Browns thought they were well-equipped for another playoff run but instead went 8-9 in 2021, leaving several questions about what Cleveland needs to prioritize this offseason to get back to the playoffs next season.

DePodesta, now in his sixth season with the Browns, will be exploring solutions alongside Executive Vice President and GM Andrew Berry and coach Kevin Stefanski in the coming months. The Browns have several areas of the roster to address, but DePodesta believes the Browns just need a few quality moves to be back on track.

"There are definitely some clear things we need to correct, and we feel like we can (do that) going into next year," DePodesta said Friday in an interview on Cleveland Browns Daily. "Ideally, we want to be a top-10 unit on both sides of the ball, special teams included, and we think that's within our grasp. We're just frustrated that we have to wait eight months before we get to play again and, hopefully, prove it."

The Browns were a top-10 team in only one of those areas in 2021: defense. Cleveland finished fifth in the league by allowing only 311.5 total yards per game and finished fifth in pass defense and 12th in run defense. The group gradually improved as the season progressed and was exceptionally good in the last seven games when it never allowed more than 30 points.

With many of the top playmakers — Myles Garrett, Denzel Ward, Greg Newsome II, John Johnson III, among others — set to return, DePodesta said the Browns feel they're in a position to repeat that success next season.

"I think we're in better shape than we were a year ago or even a year before that in terms of all the returning guys in key spots," DePodesta said. "All of those guys coming back puts us in a good spot."

Would have been more interesting if Depo had been before sports journalists who could ask their questions. I don't believe Depo is comfortable in that kind of interview with a question and answer period. Like I said, the analytics boys answer to no one and are free do what ever they want.

Last edited by mac; 02/02/22 10:53 AM.

1 member likes this: THROW LONG
Legend
Legend
This claim about making things up is pure bullcrap from you and a few others.

LMAO you post this then in your very next post you post this made up crap.

Like I said, the analytics boys answer to no one and are free do what ever they want.

Last edited by GMdawg; 02/02/22 11:09 AM.

1 member likes this: jfanent
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum ANALYTICS...had enough yet ?

Link Copied to Clipboard