Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Of course you are welcome to your opinion.

However, there is no way Stefanski is going anywhere.

In addition it is important to stick with a young coach as they learn.

All new head coaches face a learning curve especially one who for his first two years has faced covid.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by bonefish
In trades you have to give up value to get value.

The draft is a gamble. You don't control free agents. They play where they want or play for more money.

You want to target a guy who may be available. You have to offer close to equal value.

I would give up the production of Hunt for the production of Ridley.

Kareem will be a UFA in 2023. He could walk next year and we get nothing.

I would make the trade for Ridley and never blink. If I was assured his mental health is good and you feel confortable with his commitment to play.

You have to evaluate what is the best way to improve the team?

If I am ATL, there’s no way I’m doing that deal for Hunt. A 27 year old back when the season starts that’s been out quite a few games because of injuries. If I’m a GM, I’m confident knowing he wouldn’t last the whole year as a lead back. His NFL time is almost done regarding RBs
D. Johnson is 26, I wouldn’t take him either for Ridley. I might pause a moment if a 2-3 rounder was added to the deal, just because Johnson has less wear n tear. Either way, If I’m trading for a back he better be young with possible potential.

WRs longevity can go into their 30s. If/when Ridley comes back he would be more valuable paired with Pitts. If they are that desperate, bring in a retread RB or draft one in the second where they tend to be drafted.

You’ve said the draft is a gamble a couple times. You aren’t wrong at all, but as a GM you still need to be confident in your scouts, staff, and your evaluations in picking players that fit your coaches system. While knowing there’s a high chance there not going to be playing at an All-pro level out the gate.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I do want to clarify I do like Hunt and Johnson for us. They definitely have great value for our team. I just don’t see the return value in trading them as significant value.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
It has been "rumored" that Ridley could be available.

I don't know if that is true. I would call and verify.

Then it is a matter of what would it take. Offer Hunt. If that doesn't work ask if Hooper and Hunt would work.

Find out what it would take. Then make a decision if you believe it is worth the price.

C
Legend
Legend
C
That is usually not how trades work in the NFL.

1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
L
Legend
Legend
L
Trading Hunt would be foolish. We aren’t doing that, just signed him to an extension. Hooper I’d be good with trading, but as others said, who else would want him?

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
cfrs15 #1921406 01/23/22 08:25 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by cfrs15
That is usually not how trades work in the NFL.

How do NFL trades work statboy?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
What CFRS said. Trades usually don’t work that way.

I get he’s rumored. I saw an article on that. But just going off my post, why would you do that if you are Atlanta ? You brought up Hooper, they have Kyle Pitts who had a great rookie year.

I do agree about checking if he’s available.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
"Possible Trades" damn.

You would think like I wanted to trade Jim Brown in his prime.

Hunt led the league in rushing one year. He is a trade chip. He will be a freeagent in 2023.

Chubb is the lead back. D'Earnest can do the job. Hooper still has some value.

That maybe is a possible trade. Maybe there are others? That is the topic.

We need receivers Ridley maybe available.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Offer Hunt. If that doesn't work ask if Hooper and Hunt would work.

Didn't Hooper play at Atlanta before we signed him? After two really good seasons they decided to not sign him and let him walk as a free agent. After two seasons of drops, stumbles, and 0 YAC I do not see them thinking they made a mistake in letting him move on and take him back.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Hooper was a favorite target for Ryan. He can block.

They have Pitts now. They may want to go to more two TE looks.

The Browns would be forced to pay some of his salary. It might be a good move for Atlanta.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Ah, what you said is the whole point here - "You’ve said the draft is a gamble a couple times. You aren’t wrong at all, but as a GM you still need to be confident in your scouts, staff, and your evaluations in picking players that fit your coach's system. While knowing there’s a high chance there not going to be playing at an All-pro level out the gate."

All the players that keep being mentioned in this forum are not "players that fit your coach's system" - they are players that have produced in other systems (like Hooper) that are not and will not be used to their skill set in Cleveland. I just watched Cincinnati stay the course playing to their QB's skill set even after being sacked 9 times to win at Tennessee. That entire team is built to what Burrow and his receiver set can do best. I watched Tennessee have its run scheme stopped and inability to win with adjustments. I watched a much better LARams team crawl into its cocoon after dominating for 3 quarters trying to run out the clock against a QB known for 2 decades of coming back against teams that try to run out the clock. I watched a SFO team where we have posters drooling over the fact that their QB is now in the championship game that just put up one of the worst performances by a QB in the playoffs whose team just won a playoff game because the GBP's special teams handed them 7 points on a blocked punt and a missed 3 points on a blocked field goal just before the half. In what was one of the greatest games ever played - I watched KCC and Buffalo show why you build your teams to the skill set of your players as they scored 25 points in the last 1:55 of the 4th quarter. Not in your lifetime will you ever see a Stefanski led team put up that type of production with his scheme. If the AFC Championship is going to go through Cincinnati, KCC, Buffalo, LAC or Las Vegas then you better be able to score with them - which at this point we are not even close. Don't even attempt to talk about having a defense to stop them because Buffalo was the NFL top defense this season and couldn't slow down KCC. You have to be able to adjust and score with them which at present the Browns absolutely cannot!

There are about 7-10 teams that play to their players skillsets and always seem to be winning and/or in the playoffs. The balance have players trying to play to their coach's scheme. We have a team that is based on a coach's scheme not the players skill sets and that will always give you inconsistency which is what we have in Cleveland. Getting a Ridley, Williams, or even Adams for that point does not fix the Browns offense if it's not built to enhance their skill set. As of today - not going to happen in Cleveland with a Stefanski offensive scheme.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
E
Legend
Legend
E
d'Earnest is a RFA.

We would have to sign him before we could trade him.

I disagree Hunt is a more proven player than Johnson.

His contract is not a big issue. He is valuable as a lead back or in the role he has with the Browns.

D'Earnest has been a special teams player and 3rd string back. So, no he is not more valuable.

PPlease don't cross that posting line...bone, I never once said D Johnson was more valuable. I said he would be a more tradeable commodity than Hunt.
1. no baggage
2. Put up some real good numbers and also showed that he was doing it with talent.
3. Not sure on the signing and trading rules for an RFA just that he has less wear and tear on him than Hunt.

I personally want HUNT here cause he is more valuable to us than DJ also why I would prefer to trade DJ making him a more tradeable commodity for us than Hunt.
Please don't put words in my mouth, thank you, I know that is not your posting style.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Both the Titans and the 49ers play a similar offense to the Browns.

Baker is the quarterback. Actually the offense we run is considered by many to be best suited to Baker. That maybe debatable.

However, the same offense looked pretty good at the end of 2020.

Honestly, after the first two games of 2021 the offense fell apart. We lost players to injury and covid.

Right now the team needs receivers and Baker has to be able to play like he did closing out 2020.

We did not miss the playoffs by much with a compromised roster.

The skillset of the Browns roster is the run game. We run/pass at about a 50/50 rate. When you have the best running attack in football. You run the ball.

The best way to have a passing game when you are able to run efficiently is play action. That is what we do.

Kyle Shanahan is considered one of the best offensive coaches in football. The 49ers with Jimmy G run the same scheme the Browns do.

Stefanski IMO will adapt to his players.

So bascially I disagree.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Haven't seen him adapt yet, teams are putting 8 in the box and he still tried to run the 3 TE scheme - almost 19% of all offensive plays and an additional 21% of the total plays with a 2 TE set. That is not adapting to your players - that's forcing a scheme. As far as Shanahan goes, if Jimmy G was so good in the scheme, he wouldn't be so hell bent on replacing him. The 49ers are not winning because of Jimmy G, they are winning in spite of Jimmy G with a top-rated defense. Jimmy G being available during the off season should tell you all you need to know about him running Shanahan's scheme. Jimmy G has also missed 34 of 81 games (41.9%) the last 5-years so he can officially be labeled as a fragile QB.

eotab #1921533 01/24/22 10:16 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
My apology you did say tradeable.

I probably read it and thought valuable. My bad.

eotab #1921536 01/24/22 10:20 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by eotab
d'Earnest is a RFA.

We would have to sign him before we could trade him.

I disagree Hunt is a more proven player than Johnson.

His contract is not a big issue. He is valuable as a lead back or in the role he has with the Browns.

D'Earnest has been a special teams player and 3rd string back. So, no he is not more valuable.

PPlease don't cross that posting line...bone, I never once said D Johnson was more valuable. I said he would be a more tradeable commodity than Hunt.
1. no baggage
2. Put up some real good numbers and also showed that he was doing it with talent.
3. Not sure on the signing and trading rules for an RFA just that he has less wear and tear on him than Hunt.

I personally want HUNT here cause he is more valuable to us than DJ also why I would prefer to trade DJ making him a more tradeable commodity for us than Hunt.
Please don't put words in my mouth, thank you, I know that is not your posting style.

I don't know man. I am not sure Hunt is more valuable or not. I guess it depends on which of Hunt or Johnson we can sign for another 3-4 years to spell chubb. I agree with Bone in that I think Johnson is the guy we want to sign long term. He has looked pretty darn good when we have had to lean on him.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
The Shanahan scheme goes way back and is based upon zone blocking and play action passing.

Read what I said. They are winning with Jimmy G not because of him.

Divisional game thread:
"Jimmy G is not an improvement on Baker and they are still in it. So, you can win with quarterbacks without winning because of them."

You are looking at 2021 stats with a broken offense. IMO Stefanski and Berry are all about playing to the strengths of the roster.

The multi TE's sets are based upon running different plays off the same look.

What I stated has nothing at all to do with Jimmy G and his health or play.

The topic is about trades.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Much like how parts of Baker's game this year stands on its own (namely the hesitation and not finding open receivers), I don't know how anyone can look at JimmyG's last game and say they want that guy. Yes, he is playing for a trip to the SB, but Big Ben also made the playoffs.

They've got a mostly-healthy Oline, their playmakers are getting/staying hot, and Shanny runs circles around KS in terms of playcalling. If anything, Jimmy almost gave the game away.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by oobernoober
Much like how parts of Baker's game this year stands on its own (namely the hesitation and not finding open receivers), I don't know how anyone can look at JimmyG's last game and say they want that guy. Yes, he is playing for a trip to the SB, but Big Ben also made the playoffs.

They've got a mostly-healthy Oline, their playmakers are getting/staying hot, and Shanny runs circles around KS in terms of playcalling. If anything, Jimmy almost gave the game away.

As someone who was hot on the Jimmy G train when he went to 49ers - and since - I agree with this last post. I think a healthy Baker outperforms Jimmy G at this point.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
mgh888 #1921546 01/24/22 11:24 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
It's a tough analysis. JimmyG's downward trend was started by a bunch of injuries. I can see why people would gravitate to his name when looking for upgrades to Baker (very similar system, probably available, has exhibited traits that we are probably looking for in a QB). But (imo) if you decide you have to give up assets to upgrade from Baker, and then apply those same criteria to JG, then he only seems to be a marginal (at best) upgrade to the position. Is that really all we're going for?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by oobernoober

If anything the 49ers winning shows you can succeed in the playoffs with a crappy QB and the scheme we run (and a great defensive performance).

cfrs15 #1921551 01/24/22 11:55 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Ding, ding, ding. We agree.

After the season ended on many threads i have stated that the best thing the Browns could do now given their roster is:

Build a dominate defense.

A healthy Baker is at worst as good as Jimmy G.

Concentrate on the pass rush and coverage. Watching these last four playoff games. Pass rush and coverage are the key.

If you can do that a average run based offense with some play action can win a bunch of games.

Legend
Legend
Signing free agent Hooper has nothing to do with trading for Ridley.

Read the rest of what he wrote and don't stop at the first sentence. It's valid because it speaks to how people are looking at WR's with ga-ga numbers and failing to recognize that they will NOT have those numbers here because they will NOT have those opportunities because this offense is NOT going to even try to get them the ball as often.
Then, Ridley is a head case in addition to the rest of that..... so, how and where does it ever make any sense to go after that guy?

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Ding, ding, ding. We agree.

After the season ended on many threads i have stated that the best thing the Browns could do now given their roster is:

Build a dominate defense.

A healthy Baker is at worst as good as Jimmy G.

Concentrate on the pass rush and coverage. Watching these last four playoff games. Pass rush and coverage are the key.

If you can do that a average run based offense with some play action can win a bunch of games.

Browns had the #5 defense...our QB is bottom 3 in jsut about everything.. pretty sure where the problem lies

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Because we need receivers.

There is free agency, the draft, and trades.

I made it clear that Ridley would have to be cleared medically and the Browns would have to be comfortable with that evaluation.

Because our plays calls are close to 50/50 run and pass. His numbers may drop. That does not mean we don't need receivers.

IMO unless when you pick in the first round the BPA is a receiver and you love the guy. I think you are better off picking a pass rusher, OT, or DT.

Then look for a receiver later.

Free agency is a route you could take but there is no guarantee you get the guy you want.

If they like Ridley who had 90 receptions and over 1300 yards. They should look into the guy and see what it would take to get him. As mentioned it has been rumored he may be available.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Nobody is saying we don't need receivers - that's a given. However, trying to get FA's to come here with the knowledge your numbers are going to drop because of the play calling or scheme is not the type of carrot to dangle to convince a top tier WR to come to Cleveland. You might say to yourself that if it's enough money they will come. I say do we really want a player on the team that is more focused on the immediate money today instead of what his performance may get him in the future? Unless you're signing him to a 10-year contract, most of these players have 2-3 more contract in their future so selling all out for the dollar to Cleveland is not a smart move. Diggs seen it, OBJ seen it, Hooper is surely regretting his decision, Landry is having second thoughts and Mayfield is feeling the biggest betrayal.

AVP said the Browns do not have a good passing attack - who the hell is responsible for that? When you complain about Baker's footwork and mechanics, keep in mind that Stefanski has had almost 50% of his career as an Asst QB Coach and a QB Coach. Why the hell is Mayfield's mechanics and footwork not fixed?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Because Baker refuses to train with a QB coach in the off-season like all the other QBs?

P
Legend
Legend
P
If you can't find below average open WR's how is not being able to find better open WR's really going to help?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
All of what you say does not change the fact that Berry must address the receiver unit.

That is why I would approach teams and try to trade for a receiver.

In the first round you should never reach for a receiver. If a receiver is clearly the BPA and you love the guy. Then maybe.

It is imperative that pick 13 in the first round be open for the BPA and if that is a quarterback, pass rusher, or OT then you make that pick.

We can find receivers that will work in our current offensive scheme. I trust Berry to do that.

The Browns with Berry, DePodesta, the scouts, and analytics staff will hash this out.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by steve0255
Ah, what you said is the whole point here - "You’ve said the draft is a gamble a couple times. You aren’t wrong at all, but as a GM you still need to be confident in your scouts, staff, and your evaluations in picking players that fit your coach's system. While knowing there’s a high chance there not going to be playing at an All-pro level out the gate."

I would like to point out another thing about the draft and the value placed on picks. The Browns absorbed Brock Osweiler's $16 million contract for a second-round pick in the spring of 2019. The fans in general thought that was a wonderful idea. If that's the value placed on a second round pick, I have no idea why they would try to undervalue picks now.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I don't believe it is disputable that we need receivers.

Baker or anyone we have will be responsible to find them.

You have to plan the offense and believe that execution will happen. Then correct it if it does not happen.

cfrs15 #1921615 01/24/22 03:16 PM
Legend
Legend
Because Baker refuses to train with a QB coach in the off-season like all the other QBs?
So Alex Van Pelt doesn't count? They began working on his footwork and mechanics last February.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #1921618 01/24/22 03:28 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by FATE
So Alex Van Pelt doesn't count? They began working on his footwork and mechanics last February.

And the footwork got way better in 2020. And then bad again. I wonder if Tom Brady’s QB coach has to get on him about his footwork all the time.

cfrs15 #1921619 01/24/22 03:36 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FATE

And the footwork got way better in 2020. And then bad again. I wonder if Tom Brady’s QB coach has to get on him about his footwork all the time.

Does anyone have the All-22?
Can someone look at his footwork before and after Weeks 1 & 2 and compare?
How was his footwork in the Chargers game? Though, that game was more about Sir Nicholas Chubb and 7.7 ypc, but Baker had success throwing, too.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

A
Legend
Legend
A
I read an interesting article in Sports Illustrated last month. Yes, I still get the paper magazine. It was about footwork. Basically, it's in part over valued/rated.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
I read an interesting article in Sports Illustrated last month. Yes, I still get the paper magazine. It was about footwork. Basically, it's in part over valued/rated.

well, that's inaccurate. footwork is very important when throwing a ball.

*precise footwork every single time is not important*

But, there are things within footwork that need to happen every time - for velocity and accuracy sake. the same thing is true with your hips and torso - certain things need to happen. But, not everything is perfect.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
A
Legend
Legend
A

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by archbolddawg

Was this the article by chance? This was a good read about the evolution of the QB position, being creative as a QB, throwing off-platform, etc..

Another takeaway was just how many of these QBs spend their offseason (some even during the season) training with independent QB coaches to work on their mechanics and refining body movement to make those off-platform throws. Allen, Burrow, Jackson, Mahomes, Herbert, Fields and Lawrence to name a few mentioned in the article.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/11/16/cover-story-how-the-qb-evolution-sparked-a-coaching-revolution

Last edited by Milk Man; 01/24/22 04:30 PM. Reason: Just saw Arch already answered my question.
A
Legend
Legend
A
Yes.

I just found it interesting when I read it last month.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Possible trades

Link Copied to Clipboard