Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1921669 01/24/22 08:51 PM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Let me preface the following by saying. "I highly doubt it."

Aaron Rodgers is going to make a decision about playing. He stated that he will not be part of a rebuild.

He knows the Packers are in cap hell negative $38 mil. Davonte Adams is a UFA. He will be 30 in 2022.

Rodgers also said he is still highly competitive and knows he can play at the highest level.
========================================================================

Would Berry and the Browns be willing to go all in for two years to try to win a Super Bowl?

Sign them both on two year deals.

Make no mistake Rodgers should win the MVP. He is for sure one of the greatest to play quarterback.

We have a window with some key guys Chubb, Hunt, Myles, Bitonio, Teller, Ward, Jarvis (maybe). Some of the younger guys like JOK, Newsome, Wills will be around for longer maybe.

There are no quarantees in football. However, adding those two guys automatically puts the Browns in as a SB contender.

Just trying to find out opinions. A topic of conversation for this time of year and the circumstances.
I read were the odds were 5: 2. that Rodgers could come to the Browns.

Last edited by bonefish; 01/24/22 09:21 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
People in hell want ice water.

you can wish anything you want, it is not going to come true.

Why would the Packer faithful buy into such a deal? Would you?

It is the silly season.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
The packer faithful do have a thing to say about it.

They both are free agents. Free do as they please

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by bonefish
The packer faithful do have a thing to say about it.

They both are free agents. Free do as they please

Rodgers is not a free agent.

Adams will be franchised.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Some seem to think Aron roggers would win a super bowl in a browns uniform, but just like OBJ, they wouldn't have their best years in their careers if they put on a Browns uniform. People wish it to be so, the browns could win it all if they only had some other guy who the media propped up for the last several years, but the media and the league are against Cleveland, it wouldn't be the same love fest with Rogers if rogers signed in Cleveland.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Officially he is UFA in 2023 but there is financial pressure on GB to move him in 2022.

It seems like after last year that they came to some "agreement" about options for 2022.

GB needs to shed millions to get under the cap. I don't think it is a given that Adams will be franchised.

Rodgers sure acts like it is his decision to do as he pleases.

Trying to promote a "discussion". I guess that is a problem. It seems like many don't want a discussion.

I read lots of criticism, and attacks, very little discussion. I guess that's the way it is.

Last edited by bonefish; 01/25/22 08:06 AM.
B
Legend
Legend
B
As you said, I doubt it.

You mentioned some reasons on why he might want to come here. True, but there are reasons why he won't.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
I think people are more willing to have a realistic conversation, not necessarily one solely based on, to quote the title of your thread, "fantasy" with very little value in doing so.

There is plenty of conversation going on in thread relating to the offseason.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
OP Online
Legend
I don't know all the details of the Rodgers GB saga.

Just listening to his remarks it sounds like "the decision" is his. He sounded like things at GB have smoothed out regarding his clash with the GM.

At the same time GB is in cap hell. That may prompt a rebuild because in 2023 he is a UFA. Then consider GB's position.

Rodgers is 38. The team will be unable to sign FA's. They will have to make a number of financial moves. Rodgers contract this year is heavy $27mil.
Adams will be 30.

He is a UFA. A franchise tag on him will cost them major money. They drafted Jordan Love in 2020. They must consider life after Rodgers.

Rodgers stated clearly he does not want to be a part of a rebuild.

The Browns have cap space. They have a good number of core players. They have a good defense that can improve.
The Browns have a good OL and great runners.

They can add receivers.

Adding Rodgers to the Browns puts the Browns in contention for a SB.

My real question is more about would Berry be interested?

Is he more of a long term player rather than going short term on a all in strategy?

Legend
Legend
I rank Rodgers destinations as follows (other than GB):

1. Denver
2. Pittsburgh
3. Miami

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
O
Legend
Legend
O
If we're operating in fantasy-land, my QB choice would actually be Russell Wilson, not Aaron Rodgers. I question our ability to make the most of Rodger's immense talent. He needs to be somewhere that operates a wide open passing attack. That obviously isn't what we run, and I question KS's willingness and ability to make such a drastic change to the O. Maybe if I had the feeling that Rodgers wants to go to an offense where he's not the primary driver, but I don't get that at all from him. Wilson, on the other hand (and IIRC), had his best years when he was handing the ball off (a lot) to Lynch. I know he's older, but he's due for a rebound after some injury-filled seasons. He's also the prototypical passer for this O (has more than enough arm, and can find and hit open receivers). He's a finished product, and would bring a consistency and reliability to the position that we haven't had ever (well, we have, but then we'd be going back to before I really watched any football... back when I was in middle school. Yes, he's older, but I think he'd be just fine behind our Oline. Getting him, I think, would also help our WR corps as his accuracy and consistency would allow our passcatchers to show off more of their abilities and should improve our drops metric.

In terms of fantasy FA moves, that's really it. The only other things I'd put here is the FO taking the 'L' on Hooper, moving on from him however they can and putting money into Njoku and getting a third guy (either more of a blocker or a 'Njoku-lite' that needs development... or both... we find things for our TEs to do).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
OP Online
Legend
I have no idea what will happen with Rodgers.

Denver? Same division with the Chiefs and Chargers hard path to SB.

Steelers? Great defense but the DC and GM retired. Tomlin a great coach. But the Steelers have never been a quick fix team. They have always been a team wanting to build through the draft and compete long term.

Miami? Just fired their head coach. Over taking the Bills is a tall order.

GB still owns him however, he has lots of pull. If he says I don't want to play in GB. GB has to consider trading him.

What team would offer the best deal? What would it take?

The Colts seem to be over Wentz. Their owner is a flake and would be the type to offer a load.

The Saints, Vikings, and Washington are "in the market" for a quarterback. Washington picks 11th in the draft. They may take the first qb in this years draft.
The owner is a ***. Who knows what he will do?

Teams with the most draft capital like the Jets and Giants are in rebuild mode.

Rodgers to Cleveland is a difference maker. The Bengals and Ravens are good but they don't have an iron grip on the division.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
I rank Rodgers destinations as follows (other than GB):

1. Denver
2. Pittsburgh
3. Miami

I’ll include GB in my rankings:

1: Green Bay

2: New Orleans (great defense, offensive weapons, easiest path to SB is staying in the NFC and this division, especially if Brady hangs it up).

3: Denver (Lots of rumors about the Broncos as a landing spot, not sure why he’d want to go to a division with Mahomes and Herbert in his way or if Super Bowl is the goal why he’d go to the AFC in general with Mahomes, Allen, Burrows and Herbert all in his way). Sure it’s closer to CA, but private jets can get you anywhere relatively quickly.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by cfrs15
Rodgers is not a free agent.

Adams will be franchised.

You are certainly correct with Rodgers not being a FA. But any way you slice it he holds all of the cards here. He was discussing retirement last off season and used it as huge leverage then. It's his ultimate leverage. I see no reason he wouldn't use it again now. I mean if you think of it from a strategy standpoint that's his ultimate bargaining chip. I'm not a fan of how Rodgers handles his dealings with Green Bay, but that's the way it is none the less. I mean if Rodgers said, "Trade me or I'm retiring", what would you do? Let him walk and get nothing in return? So I understand that what you're saying is correct but there's certainly no doubt Rodgers holds the ultimate say here.

When it comes to franchising Adams, that's a little more difficult if Rodgers stays. If they keep Rodgers and pay him what he's owed, along with futures contracts they will be over 48 million over the cap going into 2022 and about 52 million over after signing rookie draft picks to their contracts. Rodgers alone is a 46.8 million dollar cap hit for 2022. If he is cut or traded he will have a 26.8 million dollar cap hit.

https://overthecap.com/the-future-for-aaron-rodgers-and-the-packers/

I'm not saying it would be impossible to keep both Rodgers and Adams in Green Bay for 2022, but if it is possible, for the life of me I can't figure out how Green Bay could ever keep both without totally gutting the rest of the team. I think that's exactly why Rodgers made the comments that he did in his post game presser. He knows at the very least it will have to be a partial rebuild for Green Bay to ever get down to the cap if he stays and gets paid.

As far as the thread and the possibility of "both of them coming here" I find the odds of that being slim to none. And right now none has s substantial lead coming into the home stretch.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Rodgers walks to his beat. He knows GB is hamstrung.

Would he take less money so they could pay others to remain in GB?

My take on Rodgers is. He knows he can play at high level. However, at this stage for him it is all about winning a SB.

I don't think he is chasing individual records. He will enter the Hall of Fame.

Where can he win a SB? Then it is about who would trade for him?

He could end up looking at the GB roster and think. "We are not good enough."

Then tell GB "trade me or I retire." If GB can not trade him "to his list of teams." He may retire.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think often times as fans we don't see that to everyone from officials to coaches to players, the FO and everyone in between this is a career. I mean let's even look at this "hometown discount" thing we hear so often. While it may be true that some athletes take a little less to remain with their current teams, how much would it cost for them to relocate and how much stress does it place to pull your children out of their schools and relocate them? How much does the fact your family may wish to stay where they are play into that decision? All factors are taken into consideration.

Athletes put their families and careers ahead of all else as it should be. Their careers could end suddenly and for the most part they will never have the earnings potential they have as players.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
Correct.

On a side note, OBJ took his $750,000 salary from the Rams in Bitcoin. I was reading this morning, somewhere, that he has to pay taxes on the $750,000. Between Cal stat taxes, and Fed. taxes, that took almost 51% of his income. With the drop in bitcoin recently, the article said OBJ made about $35,000 for his time with the rams. (before playoff bonuses, etc)

Now, granted, the guy has made..........???? $50 million or more in his career, so he's not hurting for money - or shouldn't be anyway.

Just a side note.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Yeah, I believe it was from Darren Rovell

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O

If it doesn't correct, he could owe money? lmao, karma.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
OP Online
Legend
I listened to Rodgers on some show.

He sounds like he is ready to retire.

He said last year during the off season. He did not participate in any off season programs. And going forward that is what he would do again.

Also he has no retirement fear. That he had a taste this past off season and he was good with it. And in some ways he could see being happy about moving forward.

It all sounded like retirement talk.

He said Adams is not big on the franchise tag. Hard to see how GB would pay Rodgers and Adams.

He will find out what the GM plans are to handle the cap. If he sees to many key players leaving.

IMO he will retire.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I don't doubt what you're saying, it's just really hard to take anything Rodgers says at face value.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
OBJ also made a career move. Taking a less for half of a season to greatly improve his value moving forward. There's no doubt that his TD's with the Rams and how well he is doing with the team will make him much more valuable moving forward going into his next contract. And he still got paid about 4.25 million from the Browns for his time with the Rams. That was what they were still on the hook for after he was cut.

Browns converted significant amount of Odell Beckham’s remaining salary to a roster bonus, due next week

Thus, if he’s claimed on waivers, he gets the remaining salary and the roster bonus from his new team. If he becomes a free agent, the Browns are on the hook for the remaining salary but not the roster bonus.

It’s believed that the roster bonus is in the range of $3 million, which would put the salary in the range of $4.25 million.

If claimed on waivers, Beckham gets it all from his next team. If unclaimed, he gets his remaining Browns salary (but not the roster bonus) plus whatever he gets from his next team for the rest of 2021. And he breaks even if he gets the amount of the roster bonus as salary from his next team.

As the source explained it, Beckham took the deal because Cleveland could have converted the balance of his remaining salary to a signing bonus, reducing his base salary to the minimum and making it much more likely that he’d be claimed on waivers by a team for which he’d rather not play. That was, at the end of the day, the leverage the Browns had to get him to agree to a structure that will help the Browns save some money.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-salary-to-a-roster-bonus-due-next-week/

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I'm not convinced that OBJ didn't dog his way out of here.
I see all of the crazy one-hand grabs he's making for L.A., yet he inexplicably dropped what seemed like every damn ball that hit him in the hands here, and I have to think he "played" his way out of here every bit as much as he used outside voices.
He showed up, he said all the right things, he appeared to do all the right things, but he also was clearly working on getting out of here the entire time, too.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm really not trying to convince anyone one way or the other. I'm simply trying to point out there's not an obvious answer. As you stated, "I'm not convinced". I'm not surprised you see it that way. But one has to consider, why would he purposefully create a situation where he would be a worth a fraction of his value on the open market? Suggesting that he undermines his own career and value is a possibility but just doesn't make much sense.

I would be more of a mind to believe that his frustration and lack of being used effectively here had more of an impact in his play than anything else. I'm not trying to say which one of us is right. I'm just saying there's two sides to this coin and it isn't as cut and dry as some wish to make it out to be.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Online
Legend
I am glad he is gone. It did not work for whatever reason.

One thing that really put me out was the first game. All I heard, read, and seen from his workouts was how great he looked.

He did not participate in many team workouts. He was left to go at his pace.

Then the first game he decides he was not ready?? I was like "what?"

His play on the field was inconsistent. The whole saga with his father. Please. Bush league.

Legend
Legend
Because it serves multiple purposes for him with near zero downside:

It gets him out of here and to the team of his choosing all along - L.A.
It's on record that he never wanted to be here, despite the reunion with Jarvis.
It's on record that he tried to get out the moment he got here and never stopped trying.
He knew there was zero chance of him getting traded for given his contract and his high-profile and perceived value, so he needed to get released and he knew he could absolutely never get released if he did what he can do so effortlessly.
If he caught everything that came his way like he can, and is once again showing, his value would FAR exceed any little bit of outside drama his cohorts could cook up on TweetFace, thus doubling down on him not being traded for OR being released outright.
Diminishing his value on the field by just going through the motions was his ONLY play to get where he wanted, and yes, to your point, I think his "frustration and lack of being used effectively here" completely fed into that, even though his own actions fed THAT. A snake eating its tail.

Once released, taking a one year deal gets him to the open market while riding high in an Air Raid offense all while being in glitzy, glammy Los Angeles with the paparazzi crowd he covets.

I'm not saying that this is definitely how it went down, BUT, I am saying that it would be a very hard sell to 100% convince me it wasn't.

Browns is the Browns

2 members like this: jfanent, FATE
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think you're more believing the rumor mill than anything else there. Do you really think an NFL player thinks he will be traded four days after he is traded to a team? I sure don't. Some people either don't understand sarcasm or twist things for their own gain. I think Glazer is one of those two if not both. I'm rather surprised you put that much stock in his statement. But I do agree he didn't want to be here and I really don't blame him.

There's no possible way that OBJ knew if "how he acted" as you put it would end up getting him traded or cut. And there's certainly no way he knew that out of 31 other teams in the NFL that he would land with L.A. with the Rams. For all he knew the Jaguars be the only team to call his agent and the Rams would never call him. Once again you seem to think he "knew he would get released".

I understand why you believe what you do. As I said I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. One fact people that believe as yourself seem to try and avoid like the plague is that we had the second most open WR's on pass plays and Baker wasn't finding them. I never see people that believe as you do point to the possibility that may have been a very big problem as to why our WR's did poorly. Because if you care to look at it, our other WR's didn't seem to up to the task this year either. Even Bakers "go to guy" Higgins was dropping balls and having very poor outings. If it were isolated to OBJ your argument would be more convincing to me. But something had a very negative impact on all of our WR's. And none of that changed when OBJ left because we "weren't better without him" as many claimed we were.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I don't view people stating 1st-Hand information as "rumor mill" material. Go back through things, the reports that have come out have been "He asked me" and "He told me", not "a source says".

Browns is the Browns

P
Legend
Legend
P
That doesn't allow for whether Glazer twisted something being said in jest or in a sarcastic manner as being a serious inquiry. If you consider everything OBJ does as being in his own self interest, it seems rather odd that you don't think someone like Glazer does. In fact we know sportswriters and those in the sports media do it all of the time. You've just chosen to believe that it didn't happen this time.

OBJ bad..... Glazer good.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
I'd say that there's a wealth of other evidence to support OBJ never wanted to be here. You choose to ignore it. That's closer to the simplest and most obvious and most probable 'truth'...

Without all the other stuff - creating this notion that suggests OBJ said something in jest might be plausible.

You have used the seamless integration of OBJ into the LA offense as basis to validate that he's a good and talented WR who works hard and questioned how he would risk hurting his value by not giving 100% . . . yet you've never addressed how a Pro WR with a full offseason and preseason went through an entire regular season with the Browns not knowing where to line up. I've watched 3 or 4 LA games now - not once seen OBJ line up in the wrong place.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Previously I stated I didn't know if Glazer was respected as a reporter. No-one has commented to suggested he's another MKC type that reports on questionable stories or non-stories... so I did a quick google search and found these two articles. One from 2008 one from 2020. Both with the same foundation that Glazer is a quality reporter that deals in facts and not 'rumors' :

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/87023-jay-glazer-is-the-best-sports-reporter-in-america

Digging deep down to get all of the facts, he never leaves anything under reported at all.

In addition, he simply does not report on stories that dozens of other writers are working on as well.

He goes out and he finds the stories most of the time.

https://www.sportscasting.com/nfl-i...s-passions-into-an-impressive-net-worth/

Jay Glazer is considered the most connected sportswriter and broadcaster in America. Over the course of a nearly 30-year career reporting on the NFL, Glazer has developed an extensive network of connections and is responsible for being the first to report on more breaking NFL stories than the average person can count.

I'll take him at face value over someone deciding that he created a story based on something said in sarcasm/jest.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I stated I didn't know if Glazer was respected as a reporter.

He most definitely is.

Tackles are tackles.
C
Legend
Legend
C
I am not sure how a person is an NFL fan and doesn’t know who Jay Glazer is.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
That doesn't allow for whether Glazer twisted something being said in jest or in a sarcastic manner as being a serious inquiry. If you consider everything OBJ does as being in his own self interest, it seems rather odd that you don't think someone like Glazer does. In fact we know sportswriters and those in the sports media do it all of the time. You've just chosen to believe that it didn't happen this time.

OBJ bad..... Glazer good.

There's no need to account for twisting words. There's nothing to twist that you aren't yourself trying to twist.
No, you've chosen to ignore the piles of evidence and documented actions in favor of whatever hill it is you're trying to die on.
Glazer has nothing to gain by making a comment about OBJ, and actually stands to lose in that some players may think twice about saying things to him, now.

Browns is the Browns

5 members like this: jfanent, FATE, mgh888
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Harping on the PFF stat that the Browns had the "2nd Most Wide-Open Receivers" and ignoring that the PFF top-rated receiver the Browns had was Landry and he was rated 73rd in the league is looking at it with blinders on. Pointing the blame at a single person and ignoring the weakness of the WR's that were the bottom-dwellers of the league is just plain bogus. The negative impact on the passing game and the receivers is directly related to the injury of the QB that made some throws much more difficult than others - open or not, the massive amount of injuries to the offensive line, and first and foremost the scheme being played and the lack of real game experience to build a rhythm and chemistry with the WR's in the passing game. I believe the number was 8 drops this year but those drops seem to always happen in critical situation but you don't reference that as an issue. Another thing I noticed was the inability of the receivers to make the tough catch to help their QB. Tom Brady says he never reads his 1st, 2nd or 3rd option - that he knows where he's going to throw before the ball is snapped. Maybe if Mayfield had confidence in our receivers getting separation (ha, when they're on the field), Baker could be throwing to his primary route.

You really need to get off the "most open WR" kick because that's only a small part of the issue the Browns had on offense. Baker has his part but there's many other issues that need equal or greater attention.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
M
Legend
Legend
M

Who said that?

That's right. They didn't. You and Pit - joined at the hip it seems. Grats.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by mgh888

Who said that?

That's right. They didn't. You and Pit - joined at the hip it seems. Grats.

My bad. You didn’t say that.

M
Legend
Legend
M
No problem. I know who the talking heads are - and I know who I like - I just have no way to know if they are trusted/credible when it comes to a slightly controversial story/take. As the years go by I pay less and less attention to them anyway. I guess I like the NFL Network and will sometimes watch their "Good Morning Footbaall" - Nate BUrleson and Peter Schrager are good and obviously Kay and Colleen are always worth watching!

It seems that Glazer has a 30 year history of being a very trusted and credible insider .... I do not believe he would jeopardize that to create a small story that only really impacts Browns fans regards OBJ. Just me.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Keep in mind who you are replying to. He'll never stop.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by mgh888
I'd say that there's a wealth of other evidence to support OBJ never wanted to be here. You choose to ignore it. That's closer to the simplest and most obvious and most probable 'truth'...

I actually said the exact same thing in my previous post just above your response to me. I don't see how this quote from me would indicate I'm ignoring that he didn't want to be here.

But I do agree he didn't want to be here and I really don't blame him.

Without all the other stuff - creating this notion that suggests OBJ said something in jest might be plausible.

And I'm saying that anyone actually claiming OBJ thought someone like Glazer could somehow get him traded after only being here for four days are trying to connect dots that do not exist. The fact OBJ didn't want to be here does not suggest he was serious in his question to Glazer. It's far more likely that was a tongue and cheek joke than anything.

You have used the seamless integration of OBJ into the LA offense as basis to validate that he's a good and talented WR who works hard and questioned how he would risk hurting his value by not giving 100% . . . yet you've never addressed how a Pro WR with a full offseason and preseason went through an entire regular season with the Browns not knowing where to line up. I've watched 3 or 4 LA games now - not once seen OBJ line up in the wrong place.

I've addressed it but you obviously didn't care for my response. Every one of his team mates said he was a good team mate and a hard worker. As for why he had a hard time learning where to line up all of the time here when everyone said he was applying himself and working hard I really can't explain. I do however think those claiming things like "he didn't know where to line up" and "he lined up wrong all the time" are exaggerating how much it actually happened.

#gmstrong
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum free agent fantasy

Link Copied to Clipboard