Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Clemdawg
two fine posts in a row.
I could get used to this.

Here's the thing I continually go back to, when I read critiques of KS being too conservative/predictable/run-first in his play calling: The 2020 team was an unpredictable, entertaining team to watch. That's what made them the late-season darlings of the NFL, and gave Rich Eisen a feeling he hadn't experienced since high school. Same coach this year. What was different? It was the team. They wore the same uniforms, but they weren't the same group of players who finished last season (at this point, it should also be noted that CLE was one of the healthier teams down the stretch that year).

2021, we only had 1/2-2/3 the dudes from last year available at any given time. We had half a Baker for 80% of the season. And even with all the adversity and weekly patched-together personnel packages, how many games were decided by 6 points or less? To be truthful, 8-9 isn't so hard to swallow when we zoom out to see the total landscape. Of course, it's a disappointment. But snakebit seasons happen. This one just happened as spirits were climbing, which makes it hurt a little more.

I guess my point is this: two seasons are a pretty small sample size for any casual fan to think they have the book on Kevin Stefanski or the Browns O. I predict that if this team can stay healthy next year, we'll see more of the football that made Ben Roethlisberger cry in January.

This. Assuming we don't create too many more holes in the roster (let Clowney walk, move on from Landry and don't sufficiently replace him, trade away talent like Hunt), I think we're actually looking good given the QB and RT positions are set by training camp.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by jfanent
My simplified version of what went wrong. There were two things that could derail this past season.....injuries and off the field drama. We had a lot of the first and a little of the second. Both could have been managed much better by the team.

Before the season I thought it would be poor QB play and injuries. Both played out.

I don't think the drama had much to do with it.

I also think Stefsnski took a giant step backward. Between penalties and not being able to galvanize the team under adversity, I thought he was below average.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Regarding Stefanski... I don't know if I would call it 'below average' (my apologies if I'm splitting hairs). He was dealt tough hands over and over in terms of our injury list alone... and his handling was many times not optimal. Ravens (arguably) had a worse injury situation and I don't think it's hard to argue that they handled it significantly better than we did. IMO, that falls solely on the coach.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
And that's what I think people should expect to see when looking at one NFL HC who has been a HC of the same team since 2008 and a HC who was in his second season as a HC.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I agree with that, but with the 'tenuous at best' nature of NFL coaches' general job security I'm not really sure how relevant it is. Coaches are brought in to win games. That same Ravens team fired their DC (I'm assuming there wasn't some behind-the-scenes issues that prompted it). The dude from Houston got the axe this year.

It's my hope that we can look back in 10 or even 5 years and point to this past season as a precursor to a bunch of sustained winning.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't really disagree with you there. I also look at the fact Harbaugh has been there since 2008 and they still didn't have a better record this year than a second year Stefanski. It's actually their worst season record since 2016. There are a lot of factors that go into these decisions and it's certainly well above my pay grade.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: oobernoober
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
You are right jimmy, baker played well as a rookie. In fact , put his rookie season in context and he played really well. He came onto a 1-31 team, that was more of a butt of jokes than a team. The team started 0-2 and was being shut out at the end of the first half of game three. All indications were we were headed for another sucky season. And then baker came into the jets game and it was like a light switch turned on and we were a different team. From the moment he zipped that first pass into Jarvis everything seemed to change and baker played well as he helped turn the team around that rookie year.

For some reason you skipped to season three years later. Skipping the Freddie year made sense but why did you skip over the season two years later. You know the one that baker qb’d us to 11 wins and a spot in the playoffs. And a win in the playoffs over Pittsburgh. I don’t remember the last playoff win for the browns, but it was not in this century.baker played well against the teams we had to play and that is all we can ask.

Instead of that season you jumped ahead three seasons to an injury plagued year. Biggest mistake our team made was pushing thru with baker all season. After a couple of ineffective games we should have ir’d him and got him his surgery. He would be well on his way to recovery by now. I am certain the staff saw him as our best chance to make the playoffs. If they knew then we were not making them he would have been done for the year.

Baker will be our qb next year and we are gonna have a really good year. That is my story and I’m sticking to it!

1 member likes this: eotab
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would rather you compare their team's records than personal stats.

Even though Baker was in a rebuild, you know he's not a Brady.

C
Legend
Legend
C
This a graphic that shows the NFL is very different now than it was from 2000 to 2003. Kurt Warner led the league in passing, while on a team nicknamed the Greatest Show on Turf, and would have been fifth in passing in 2021.

(Also, Brady didn’t play at all in his first year.)

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Super, I do not think his point was that baker is another Brady. Shoot, there may never be another Brady. The point is that after four seasons Brady was not a finished product. He was not the qb he would become. And neither is baker. Brady got way way better, improved tremendously. I would bet in those first four seasons Brady missed some passes that every pro qb should make. I would bet he missed some wide open receivers. Misread defenses. All the things new nfl qbs struggle with. And he improved.

It is doubtful baker will be another Brady, but he can continue to improve and become a much better qb. I am looking forward to that.

P
Legend
Legend
P
You're right that Brady wasn't a finished product after four years. He didn't even play in his first year and was the 199th selection in the draft. So if you're saying that Mayfield progressed as well in his first four seasons as the 199th selection in the 2000 draft that makes sense.

It is true that Mayfield could turn out to be the next Tom Brady. He could also turn out to be the next mediocre QB that never progresses into anything special. There's simply no way of knowing. But if you look at all the QB's who started average, which is what those numbers are, and failed to how many actual Tom Bradys there are, the odds aren't good.

I'm one who wants Mayfield to get another year. I know the injury had to impact his accuracy. How much exactly I don't know. There were stretches in those games where he didn't look bad and stretches in those same games where he looked awful. His footwork was off a lot. I'm sure some of that had to do with his injury. Especially during the stretch where he had leg injuries combined with the shoulder. But that was a very limited amount of games during the shoulder injury. So once again, just how much of his shoulder injury impacted his footwork I don't know. The same applies to his lack of finding open WR's. We certainly could use a talent infusion at WR but that doesn't change the fact you have to be able to read the field to find open WR's. There may be a connection to the injury in that regard as well but that seems somewhat far fetched to me.

In short I've seen enough good Baker that I'm not ready to write him off due to an injury plagued season. Those portraying him as the second coming are no more convincing than those who are claiming he is trash. None of us have any idea how much or how little he has or has not progressed since the 2020 season because we didn't see enough of healthy Baker to find out. I want to find out.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
The other thing that has me hanging on to Baker (other than the realistic options to replace him out there) is that he's shown the ability to improve his weaknesses. Obviously, there's still a lot to fix (and re-fix, in some cases) but he has shown that he can fix things in his game in the past (while the season is going on, to boot).

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm not even sure if he has that much to fix. I just feel the injuries provide more questions than answers. It very well could be that a healthy Baker has good footwork. That would improve his accuracy. They worked on it a lot. He does have some escapability when he's healthy so that may help in him being more comfortable in going through his reads. For me there are a lot of questions and I don't know the answers to those questions.

Not strictly directed towards you but there is one thing I believe posters should keep in mind. We went 11-5 last year. Most posters wish to point that out and it's certainly a fact that can't be denied. Which opened the door for this FO to spend the entire off season to at least try and negotiate a long term contract extension with Baker. We never even heard so much as a rumor that it was even attempted. So as much as some wish to label everyone who questions Baker as being a "hater", maybe they should stop and think that if this FO was sold on Baker like they are, they woud ahve already been trying to sign him to a long term deal. All evidence to this point indicates they have questions too.

Which is why they chose to pick up their fifth year option and wait it out. To give him that fifth year to see what he becomes. That's the same thing I want. If that makes me a hater, so is our FO. Just trying to keep things in perspective.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: oobernoober
Legend
Legend
Evaluate years in isolation. However, be aware of trends.

Have patience with quarterbacks. It is a difficult position. It takes time to learn.

I want Baker to play this year.

I like Stafanski. IMO he has the makings of a good coach. Owners need patience. Some coaches make it clear that they don't have it.

Others grow each year and become really good.

Kind of a know when to hold them and know when to fold them.

All Pro
All Pro
[/b]
Originally Posted by bonefish
Evaluate years in isolation. However, be aware of trends.

Have patience with quarterbacks. It is a difficult position. It takes time to learn.

I want Baker to play this year.

I [b]like Stafanski. IMO he has the makings of a good coach
. Owners need patience. Some coaches make it clear that they don't have it.

Others grow each year and become really good.

Kind of a know when to hold them and know when to fold them.

Please elaborate “he has the makings of a good coach

I don’t like him so it’s interesting to listen to others opinions.

I have been following team sports for over 50 years and I just can’t see something special with Stefanski. I compare to other NFL head coaches. The best managers I know from Europe in soccer like Jürgen Klopp or Pep Guardiola. NHL and SHL coaches or other successful coaches I have remember over the years. I just don’t see it.

He’s not a typical intellectual coach. His speeches is rather simple, more like a diplomat then a successful coach. He often make excuses after losses and often just accept his shortcomings. I don’t like that. His leadership skills is a little bit vanilla, he’s a fair and straight forward but I don’t see that winning at all cost attitude that is a special attribute with many of the elite coaches around the world. His temper is controlled. All the best coaches I know shows temper when things go south, when they don’t you know their time is up. And finally a coach that don’t protect his players well being will never be successful in the long run. That kind of leadership is something that for me immediately send the red flag to the top.

I can go on but give me your views so we can balance my negativity a little bit.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I might be mis-remembering your take on Baker, but IIRC you gave Baker credit for coming in as a #1 overall pick to a 1-31 team and immediately being a key part of an offensive resurgence. I bring that up (and if that wasn't you, then I apologize... it's hard to keep everyone's different takes straight) because I see Stefanski in the same light. He came in and broke/breaking the cycle of hilariously bad coaching hires. Him and Berry have built this wall of boringness that, after decades of drama and weirdness, I think it's hard for Browns fans to watch our team being run by actual professional adults.

I'm not saying Stefanski doesn't have his weaknesses. I'm really hoping that their relentless pursuit of improvement leads him to shake up his gameday role (playcalling). But I think his demeanor/style is what is necessary after so many bad hires, and I think what he was able to accomplish in a very challenging first year is really commendable.

-PrplPplEater
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Baker: after looking back he probably should have shut down but he's a team kind of guy and if he can stand up then he wants to play and try to get wins for the team.

Stefanski: I didn't like his inability to adjust his playbook for a QB with a wounded wing. I thought we rolled left way way too often and I couldn't understand why Ski did so especially when we were getting most of our success running the ball to the left making a playaction of faking the run to the left and naturally bootlegging to the right...but we would fake the run right and bootleg him to the left and I didn't understand why.

Then we had that game where Baker was getting killed from the right tackle spot and Ski seemed to refuse adjusting and getting a chip blocker out there helping the RT. I didn't understand that.

Then for me I just thought we didn't run the ball enough especially in games where Chubb was averaging 7+ yards per carry. RIDE THAT HORSE instead we would run under 20 carries which just didn't make sense. Then when Baker was not in the game Ski would run the ball a lot. Why? Baker was injured and it was obviously effecting the passing game. Why not utilize a few plays in the play book that would make it easier to execute. Its all about execution. If I got the right guys and they are in sync I could be most teams with 7 plays. Its all about execution

I don't want SKI fired I think he has to learn how to adjust and execute better.

Baker has to get healthy and put this season behind him and get in the zone on executing the playbook but to get the team executing
jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
There are many coaches in the history of the NFL who were even-keeled on the sidelines, and very successful. I think sideline histrionics is a poor indicator of potential success.

O
Legend
Legend
O
It's not like he's sitting there with that sour-pus look like Mangini had... or the completely confused look that Shurmer had all the time.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: Hamfist
M
Legend
Legend
M
I think comparing Premier Managers to NFL head coaches is an apples to oranges comparison. Bill Belichick is one of he GOAT - he is as bland and non committal as any interview you can imagine. it has nothing to do with his football smarts or acumen. Same with Stefanski.... And while I agree KS has made mistakes - there is nothing that can't be improved and learned from, which is what I expect.

Just like I am unwilling to simply cast aside Baker's best performances last year - neither am I willing to do the same with Stefanski. If 2022 our offense is stale, lacks adjustments and we again (and in better health) come out in 13 personnel as much as we did this year... then I will revisit. But I think KS has shown plenty and he needs a fair shake just like Baker.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by oobernoober
It's not like he's sitting there with that sour-pus look like Mangini had... or the completely confused look that Shurmer had all the time.

I think he had that Shurmur look quite a bit as the season wound down.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Hamfist
There are many coaches in the history of the NFL who were even-keeled on the sidelines, and very successful. I think sideline histrionics is a poor indicator of potential success.

Are you serious? Belicheck does nothing but throw temper tantrums on the side lines. thumbsup

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by jfanent
Originally Posted by oobernoober

I think he had that Shurmur look quite a bit as the season wound down.
Actually I think my wife nailed it.

I quit on the Pittsburgh game shortly after Stefanski went with the "horse whisperer" approach with Clowney... after he ripped off Claypool's shoe and threw it, costing us a TD.

I asked her later what she thought of the debacle.

"I don't know, I'll be honest though, Stefanski always looks like he 100% just woke up from a long nap."

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
2 members like this: oobernoober, jfanent
All Pro
All Pro
Simple question to all of you.

How do you rank Stefanski as a play caller?

Elite (top5)
Good (top10)
Mediocre (top20)
Glorified cheerleader (top30)

How do you think he has handle the OBJ drama?

Baker?

What’s your take on letting a injured QB getting more or less brutally sacked nine times in one game?

Hand on your heart do you see Stefanski as a future Super Bowl winner?

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Well,pit,I did not consider draft position to matter much once they were established starters but since you do we can look further.

Baker. Peyton Manning

Completion %. 62%. 61%

Yds/game. 236. 256

TDS/game. 1.5. 1.79

Into/game 0.9. 1.26

Qb rating. 88. 85

So as with Brady and Baker, Peyton M was also not a finished product at four years into his career. So apparently even #1 overall draft picks have to develop their skills. As with Baker and Brady, I am sure Peyton missed some passes any pro qb should be able to make, overlooked some wide open receivers and misread some defenses. But he continued to develop and improve.

Nobody knows how much Baker will continue to get better and no one thinks he is the “second coming”. But he is our qb and these stats do show that he is not necessarily as good as he is going to get. He can get better. None of the potential replacements
I see on here have any more potential to be the Qb we need than Baker does. None of the qbs in this years draft look to have the potential Baker does .

Like you I think Baker should be our guy next year. Anyone who would decide to get rid of Baker based upon the injury plagued past season would be a bloomin idiot, and the guys running the Browns are not that.

One final thought. If Baker crashes and burns next year, we will probably spend the next decade wandering in the Qb wilderness.....without a Moses to lead us. The best thing for the Browns is for Baker to light it up and we have to come up with the dough to pay him. I think that is what is going to happen and I am staying positive waiting for next year.

F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted by keithfromxenia
One final thought. If Baker crashes and burns next year, we will probably spend the next decade wandering in the Qb wilderness.....without a Moses to lead us. The best thing for the Browns is for Baker to light it up and we have to come up with the dough to pay him. I think that is what is going to happen and I am staying positive waiting for next year.

Agreed, and it will probably take another 10 years to get the win totals we've gotten in the last 4. Even with an injured Baker we had more wins than any QB since Holcomb.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Well,pit,I did not consider draft position to matter much once they were established starters but since you do we can look further.

Baker. Peyton Manning

Completion %. 62%. 61%

Yds/game. 236. 256

TDS/game. 1.5. 1.79

Into/game 0.9. 1.26

Qb rating. 88. 85

So as with Brady and Baker, Peyton M was also not a finished product at four years into his career.

Not to mention that neither Manning nor Brady played almost an entire season with a torn labrum, broken humerous and a harness that looked like a straight jacket. I'm thinking either they or their coaches wouldn't have been stupid enough to let them play.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: mgh888
2nd String
2nd String
jc

I personally think Stefanski needs to get an Offensive Coordinator and stick to being the head coach. His play calling is awful in the Red Zone IMHO. We get to the Red Zone by running successfully and he tries running a Bootleg that loses 5 yards or we get there by passing and he runs it for a loss of 5 yards and then goes for it on 4th and 12 instead of taking the points. He didn't adjust his play calling to the teams strengths before and after Baker got hurt when it was clear that what he was doing wasn't working. I'll give put that all in his rookie learning curve bucket and hope things work better next season. I don't think he's purposely trying to hurt Baker, he seems to be a better man than that.

The Constitution shall never be construe to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. – Samuel Adams
T
Legend
Legend
T
It's like pulling teeth to get Stefanski to try something new on offense. < Is that a mostly true statement, a somewhat true statement, somewhat not true, mostly not true, or it's not possible to tell?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Stefanski is 20-15 as Browns coach included in those numbers 1-1 in the playoffs. He has been .500 in the North 3-3 each year in arguably the best division in Football or 2nd best to NFC West. I think he and Andrew Berry know what they are doing and I will trust them.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
O
Legend
Legend
O
I love the scheme Stefanski brought here. I also think it would be unfair to Van Pelt (or whoever he brought in) to have them call plays within a scheme they're not intimately familiar with. I hope that maybe Van Pelt has shown he's ingrained himself enough in the offense to start taking playcalling off of Stefanski's plate. I think we've finally landed a great "organizer/executive" coach... one that does a good job staying on top of the big picture and leading the team. It would suck (but would be totally "Browns") if we cut that guy loose because of something like he won't give up playcalling when he should.

-PrplPplEater
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
as mentioned I do not want Ski to leave the Browns he had some good and some of the execution problems certainly came from the covid environment out there.

But I just read about some posters wife and the tid bits left with her. Well mine also - I think her biggest Pet Peeve was that Stefanski not once complained to the refs. We would get our guys held on Defense and he would never complain. Our WR would get held and the announcers who were not siding much with the Browns would state that definitely was a miss call by the refs as DPJ or whoever was obviously being held and the result was a Cleveland INT no complaints by SKI that totally got my wife going of course working with a bunch of guys every day had her swearing like a sailor on port a call... lol laugh

Nobody wants a constant complainer but I'm sorry there are some obvious mistakes and it needed our HC to yell and complain at the refs. I asm tired of that supposed calm cool HC on the sideline - sometimes you just have to let the spit fly and stick up for the team!!!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
C
Legend
Legend
C
Again, the NFL in 1998-2001 was very different than it is now.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Just my opinion but:

Stefanski is a horrible play caller and giving him a rank of "glorified cheerleader" could be a stretch. 1) He fails to adjust to what the defense is doing but more importantly, he refuses to take what the defense is offering him. His plays are predictable and your QB has to be able to check out of (for example) a run up the middle when there's 8-9 in the box but if you're running 3-TE sets almost 20% of the time you're not putting your QB in a situation to be
successful. Especially when you don't have a single TE rated above 30% in being able to get a step or more separation in man coverage. Then you have a WR group where it's highest PFF ranked player was 73rd. Think about that for a minute, 32 teams X 2 WR = 64 WR's. The Browns didn't have a single WR in the top 64. Who the hell is responsible for setting the scheme and players for the team - Stefanski.

The OBJ drama is a totally failed exercise by both Stefanski and Berry. Look, OBJ requested to be traded during the off season while healing from his knee injury. He caught everyone by surprise when he wasn't ready to go at the start of the season. Now I don't care what the players said and even less what Stefanski and Berry said - OBJ was a disgruntled WR because he wasn't being used the way he thought he should be used in the Stefanski scheme. No one can tell me that they don't believe that OBJ being disgruntled didn't have an effect on not only the team but specifically the WR group. His antics on the sidelines when he didn't get the ball combined with not running the proper routes or knowing where to line up is inexcusable for a player with his tenure. This and the overall weakness of the WR group should have been addressed during the off season rather than festering 9 weeks deep into it.

I said it before and I'll say it again, the Browns drafted a gun slinger to be the franchise QB. The Browns hired a coach hell bent on using his run scheme no matter what the defense does. So now we have a gun slinger QB throwing 250 less passes per year than the top tier teams in a 2021 passing scheme league. Stefanski has absolutely blown any chance of using the skill set of Hooper because of his scheme. Highest paid contract for a TE ever at the time and Stefanski cuts his targets by almost 50%. He's successfully chased away two #1 WR's in Diggs, OBJ, and highly likely #2 Landry this off season while putting together a WR group that doesn't have a single player graded in the top 64 WR's in the league (Landry tops at 73rd). Injury aside, fans want to blame this all on Mayfield who tried his best even though the offense is not set to his skill set, horrible use of the TE position, and a WR group that needs to get better to qualify as "sucking." The inability to build a chemistry with your WR's when they are not on the field almost 50% of the time is unattainable. All of this and was required to play without a #1 WR almost 70% of his last 20 plus games. When an opposing future Hall of Fame QB comes out and states "the Browns are not putting Baker into situations where he can be successful," you have a major problem.

The sack situation doesn't even deserve comment. Hell, the commentators during the game were questioning Stefanski's poor coaching adjustment - actually no adjustment. Nuff said about that......

At this point 'No." Unless Stefanski can bring his offense into this century then I say no. To me, if Baker has a great year, I believe they will always be looking back at this injury filled year from 2021. I suspect the Browns will try to squeeze Baker into a lower contract, so he'll try to walk or if tagged be disgruntled which will show on the field. If Baker has a bad year, he'll leave for sure but someone has to take the hit for having to start over so Stefanski will take the first hit and Berry probably the second. IMHO, dragging out Mayfield's contract until next off season is going cause massive headaches for all concerned. Someone is going to pay the price for this wait-n-see move - just the question of who.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by cfrs15
Again, the NFL in 1998-2001 was very different than it is now.

Yes and no - the number of passing attempts is way up. So the number of passing yards is significantly up. But completion % and some of the other metrics are not wildly dis-similar... some metrics like yards per attempt are very close.

Interestingly 2011 the passing yards and numbers were higher than they are now. I don't know if that's an anomaly or what might have caused that.

2001 -- https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/category/passing/2001/post/all/passingyards/desc

2011 -- https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/category/passing/2011/POST/all/passingyards/desc

2020 -- https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/category/passing/2020/POST/all/passingyards/DESC

I don't think you can just dismiss any and all comparisons out of hand. It's not that simple. Peyton's and Bakers completion % would be one comparison that I don't think is something to instantly dismiss. Especially given some of the other factors like Baker being injured this year which are baked into the stats someone posted.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
C
Legend
Legend
C
2011 was the lockout year. Offense went nuts for that year and then went back to normal in subsequent years.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Well conceived post .

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think we've come to the same conclusion about Baker being our starter again next year all be it by different methods. I attribute a lot of Baker's issues this year to his injuries and I don't think he should be written off because of that. And it's true that we went 20 years without having an answer at the QB position. That doesn't mean that we will go another ten years without finding the answer if they decide to move on from Baker after next season. As a Browns fan there's no doubt that I hope Baker does well next season. I certainly don't want to see us in the position where we have to start over again at square one at the QB position.

What I probably find the most odd in all of this is we see posters who give Baker a pass due to his injuries, which I understand, but at the same time place blame on Stefanski who was also handicapped in using much of the playbook and had to try to adjust on the fly due to not only Baker's injuries but multiple injuries on the OL. It's as if one of them gets a free pass while the other one doesn't.

#gmstrong
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I think we've come to the same conclusion about Baker being our starter again next year all be it by different methods. I attribute a lot of Baker's issues this year to his injuries and I don't think he should be written off because of that. And it's true that we went 20 years without having an answer at the QB position. That doesn't mean that we will go another ten years without finding the answer if they decide to move on from Baker after next season. As a Browns fan there's no doubt that I hope Baker does well next season. I certainly don't want to see us in the position where we have to start over again at square one at the QB position.

What I probably find the most odd in all of this is we see posters who give Baker a pass due to his injuries, which I understand, but at the same time place blame on Stefanski who was also handicapped in using much of the playbook and had to try to adjust on the fly due to not only Baker's injuries but multiple injuries on the OL. It's as if one of them gets a free pass while the other one doesn't.

Stefanski and Berry should be judged the same way as Baker. Every angle should be covered and even the smallest details should be hold against them. Right?

When we had success in 2020 nobody complained. When he get injured in the second game of the season and starts to struggle almost everybody jump on his back. Even local media and so called die hard supporters find ways to criticize him for everything and nothing.

Stefanski and Berry had an golden opportunity to show the NFL what the new Browns is all about.

Every sensible leader had taken a step back and told Baker that for him the season is over. Do the operation and come back healthy and then we start all over again. Then the message both internally and externally should be “We still see you as our future franchise QB. Next season we will continue to evaluate on how we should move forward.”

How hard could it be for our so called future leaders to use their head?

Bla bla Baker is cleared by the medical team. Bla bla Baket wanted to play…

Any experienced leader, mentor or whatever you call it knows how to set their priorities right. That’s why our HC failed. Baker was playing for a new contract, his future. He’s not in a position to take the right decision in a situation like this. Berry and Stefanski had all the power and hopefully the trust to steer their QB in the right direction.

An organization that is loyal, have trust and when it matters show a little bit of love and compassion sends the right message They set the narrative and what kind of culture they want in their organization. Players and other organizations take’s notice. Media too. Do the right thing can never been criticized.

Berry and Stefanski took the easy way and let Baker walk the walk. Instead of having faith in the process they thought they where the smartest guys in the room. Now when the season failed and was a disappointment they didn’t want to take accountability or share the blame. That’s weak leadership. That’s a sign of big egos who put me before we.

Listen to Berry, He says all the right thing and still the feeling is ….? Like in a marriage. Do you still love me? Yes….. but…. but….I need a more….. time…… Ratarataraaa

Andrew Berry has all the education and knowledge in the world but his experience isn’t in tact with his education level, and maybe sometimes his way to deal with power. You know that small thing that you can’t learn at the University.

Kevin Stefanski tries so hard to be the grown up in the room. The diplomat who handle everything that comes in his way with dignity. Yet he wasn’t man enough to protect his QB when he needed it most. That’s not the kind of leadership that in the long run will build trust, loyalty and love.

They’re young so I forgive them but changing the culture inside a historical dysfunctional organization takes a little bit more then playing mind games with their players. Set your priorities the right way and success will follow your path.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Stefanski looking to rid us of Baker???

Link Copied to Clipboard