Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
E
Legend
Legend
E
How soon you forget the media all had us being a contender and then we fell down right now nobody is saying it cause the media won't say it until it happens then when we win and who knows how far we get in the post season then and only then will they say we are a contender. So stripper that just isn't so. but I watch the Browns I watch our QB and I saw what he was doing prior to the injury - he was being a Franchise QB but all wishes to point at Some stats or the results of a year that he played hurt and we aren't talking about a bad ankle or thumb. But I like that QB with 80% completions along with a running attack un matched. We go and build this Defense we got the DBs now lets get that DL built to TOP of the NFL and we will win that championship.
Lets get our Aaron Donald in Jordan Davis we got Garrett the best DE around and complete the build with another DE von Miller?? How is Takk McKinley doing with his achilles recovery??? Will he be back?

All of a sudden Baker is not good enough for this team. You can pull whatever stats you wish out of your butt...He is the best QB we have had since Kosar He is ready to blow teams away and all of a sudden he is not good enough? Ski's O system is one of precision. Not freelance running around and creating time and freelance pass catching. Baker showed he could do that in the first couple years as he got away from defenders and would hit the freelance connections. But Ski wants discipline in his system so Baker is giving him that but he needs discipline WR and that is what we got in Amari Cooper. This isn't an O that is being built on what Baker does best but in Ski's system which Baker has shown he can play the system just not too well with a torn Labrum in the shoulder left or right the body could not do the things Baker wanted it to do.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #1930273 03/14/22 09:48 AM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
After four years what do the stats show that Baker does best? Play action, bootlegs, and throwing to tight ends.

cfrs15 #1930274 03/14/22 10:01 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by cfrs15
After four years what do the stats show that Baker does best? Play action, bootlegs, and throwing to tight ends.

it shows he wins more games than Watson

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted by superbowldogg

QB wins are a team stat.

cfrs15 #1930278 03/14/22 10:05 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
I agree, but it's worth pointing out that you'll get a very different opinion in the Baker threads on this.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
i looked up the stats.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/comeback.cgi?player=MayfBa00
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/comeback.cgi?player=WatsDe00

Watson is 28-26. Baker is 30-30.

game winning drives: Watson has 10. Baker has 7.

4th comebacks: Watson has 8, baker has 6.

then you add the individual stats, and its not even close.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
PitDAWG #1930283 03/14/22 10:18 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Originally Posted by Dawg Duty
If he can take us to the Super Bowl then I think he's innocent.

Thanks for proving my point that some people would sell their soul for a SB ring. Even if they aren't sure getting a scum bag QB would do that. It explains a lot about you.

If you're waiting on Mother Teresa to come and play QB for us it might be awhile. Explains a lot about you.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted by oobernoober
I agree, but it's worth pointing out that you'll get a very different opinion in the Baker threads on this.

Those people are wrong also.

Swish #1930288 03/14/22 10:24 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Swish
i looked up the stats.

Are we playing fantasy football or football? Football is a team sport.

Playoff Wins
Watson 1
Mayfield 1

Number of civil court cases
Watson 22
Mayfield 0

Cap hit
Mayfiled 18.5 mill
Watson 40 mill

It sounds like they also want Kareem Hunt and Denzel Ward and 2 other picks...

Where do we throw their stats in?

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
i looked up the stats.

Are we playing fantasy football or football? Football is a team sport.

Playoff Wins
Watson 1
Mayfield 1

Number of civil court cases
Watson 22
Mayfield 0

Cap hit
Mayfiled 18.5 mill
Watson 40 mill

It sounds like they also want Kareem Hunt and Denzel Ward and 2 other picks...

Where do we throw their stats in?

?? i dont understand why you considered it fantasy.

number of division titles

Watson 2
Mayfield 0

number of times being #1 in passing

Watson 1
Baker 0

better TD-int ratio

Watson

last time i checked, those are facts, not fantasy.

i dont mind hunt walking because we have D'ernest. Ward might be tough, but we're talking about a proven franchise QB. that cost money and assets.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
cfrs15 #1930295 03/14/22 10:33 AM
Legend
Legend

QB wins are a team stat.

So are Yards and Completions.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

if its about wins, we can get Jimmy G for a lot less than what Watson will bring.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater

QB wins are a team stat.

So are Yards and Completions.

Agreed.

cfrs15 #1930299 03/14/22 10:37 AM
Legend
Legend
This whole thread reads like a "Anyone but Baker, at any cost" manifesto.

The level of absurdity it would take for the Browns to give up what people have been proposing AND for that to be considered a good move is just absolutely astounding..... and, like a lot of stuff at this time of every NFL year, totally disconnected from anything that makes any sense, whatsoever.

Browns is the Browns

2 members like this: PitDAWG, FATE
Legend
Legend
how?

the most likely scenario is still Baker starting the season.

besides, if it came down to Baker or Mariota/Trubisky/Carr, i'd just roll with Baker.

that doesnt mean there isn't a clear upgrade available.

- Theodore Roosevelt
1 member likes this: CapCity Dawg
Swish #1930307 03/14/22 10:53 AM
Legend
Legend
how?

the most likely scenario is still Baker starting the season.

besides, if it came down to Baker or Mariota/Trubisky/Carr, i'd just roll with Baker.

For starters, your second and third sentence are the only things that are sensible (to me) in this thread.

As for the How?, I assume you are asking how I see this as an "anyone but Baker at any cost" thread, and I see it like that when I see people giving apparently serious thought to the idea of giving up the insane amount of capital/players that has been bandied about in here. Even IF that nets us an upgrade at the QB position, and I'm still firmly in the camp of that being an IF, the constraints such moves puts on the team in both the short and long term - and the negative impact that would have on the ability to hold this roster together over time - tells me that people have developed an almost frantic tunnel-vision over the notion of replacing Baker, or getting Watson, whichever.

I'd much rather we just give Baker a DeAndre Hopkins/Brandin Cooks with Will Fuller combo every year and see how much better we look.
Just my $0.02

Browns is the Browns

5 members like this: PitDAWG, FATE, WSU Willie
cfrs15 #1930311 03/14/22 11:03 AM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

Legend
Legend
I understand.

I just don’t believe mayfield can lead us deep into the playoffs. I look around the AFC, and baker isn’t even 2nd best in his own division.

For me it’s going for a known vs 4 years of unknown. The lack of consistency in mayfield as play is troubling.

And then I’m in the opinion that deshaun wouldn’t have had a problem getting OBJ the ball. And the games that baker mayfield couldn’t win are the games Watson will.

The QB is the most important position. So all the weapons in the world won’t matter if the QB can’t get right. Jimmy G is a perfect example of that.

And I’m also basing this on the fact that AB is clearly seeing what else is out there. We’re talking about compensation, but the world is roasting the cowboys for letting amari go for useless draft picks.

I’m talking about Watson from a pure football perspective. All the cap/trade/compensation is something none of us knows what it’ll end up being.

- Theodore Roosevelt
cfrs15 #1930313 03/14/22 11:05 AM
Legend
Legend
Always the “other teams” in the sources. It’s certainly likely the saints or panthers land him, but it makes me wonder if they’re the front runners simply because they’re NFC teams.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1930314 03/14/22 11:06 AM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Always the “other teams” in the sources. It’s certainly likely the saints or panthers land him, but it makes me wonder if they’re the front runners simply because they’re NFC teams.

In the end Watson gets to pick his team.

Swish #1930316 03/14/22 11:14 AM
Legend
Legend
I just don’t believe mayfield can lead us deep into the playoffs.

I don't understand how you come to that conclusion when we were literally one horrible no-call from being DEEP in the playoffs. You toss out the word "deep" like it's significant, but you gotta remember a little perspective here.. "DEEP" is two wins. Even if you're a Wild Card, three wins puts you in the Super Bowl. The use of "deep" is pure hyperbole.

Baker CAN do all of that, and when I look at the QBs in this past Super Bowl, there was absolutely NOTHING in that game that Baker isn't capable of on an everyday level.

Beyond all of that, if you took away DeAndre Hopkins/Brandin Cooks and made Will Fuller be the #1, but hobbled him, and then trotted that out with just a bunch of guys to fill the rest of the spots, Deshaun Watson would look an awful lot like Baker did this year.

I feel that this past year of disappointment was long enough that over the last few months folks have built up an idea in their heads of what is and what isn't that doesn't really align with reality.

Edit: Oh, yeah.... and roll DeShaun's ankle, wreck a toe, and break his shoulder.

Last edited by PrplPplEater; 03/14/22 11:16 AM.

Browns is the Browns

3 members like this: PitDAWG, Jester, WSU Willie
cfrs15 #1930320 03/14/22 11:22 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Ditto!

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Legend
Legend
deep is the conference title game.

and he had 2 cracks at getting the GW and sending us to the title match, but he didnt pull it out.

a healthy Watson is better than a healthy Baker. and our O line and running backs by itself is world betters than what he had in houston.

so i understand why you want to roll with baker. but i rather have a franchise QB that measures up to the completely ridiculous amount of QB's in the AFC.

so you might not understand my position. and while i do understand yours, i disagree with it.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
This is a difficult and complicated topic that has multiple components.

Watson and the whole ethical question. Watson and future rulings regarding a league suspension and civil cases.

Contract and cap space. Trade of draft asssets and players. The future with Baker or Watson.

The goal is to win the Super Bowl. Which player gives you the best chance? Could you win with either guy?

You have to begin though with the upgrade from Baker to Watson. IMO you look at ceiling and floor. In Bakers case we have seen both. The problem with Baker hurt or not is consistency. His floor is bad play that you can not win with. His ceiling is good play "you can win with."

Watson has been for the most part consistent. His floor has been above average play. His ceiling has been elite play. You can win "because of him" and you can win with him.

Baker today is the starter. After this year his future is not clear. He either plays good enough to keep or it is time to move on.

You trade for Watson you are committed till at least 2026 and beyond if all goes well.

Now the hard part what is given up in trade? We can speculate. We kind of now the parameters. But we don't really know till a deal is done.

Then we have to see what our roster looks like after free agency and the draft so we can see the team Watson plays with.

Watson is an upgrade but will the cost equal the risk and will it determine if we can reach the goal?

cfrs15 #1930330 03/14/22 11:45 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Something not really being discussed is we did say we are going with baker this year.

Why is that not the word and exactly what we are going to do?

Here is another thought. It is always talked about that the best window to be a real SB contender is when your QB is on his rookie deal. That way you can pay for all the other positions. It makes sense.

What if the plan is to always be on a rookie deal? We know that if you are good enough in other areas, you don't have to have the best QB. Green Bay seems to have the best QB most of the time, but they seem to fall short.

No doubt if your QB turns out great you are going to extend past the rookie deal, but if not just draft another guy, have him 5 years behind a team that is really good in the other areas. That makes sense to me.

If a team was to do that, maybe us drafting a QB this year is the way to go.

Last edited by Ballpeen; 03/14/22 11:47 AM.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Here is another thought. It is always talked about that the best window to be a real SB contender is when your QB is on his rookie deal. That way you can pay for all the other positions. It makes sense.

I mean - I believe that since 2008, there have only been 2 Super Bowl Winners with QBs on their rookie deals (Mahomes and Wilson). This despite the fact that about a quarter of teams have a starting QB on a rookie deal. Obviously their are other "contenders" (Burrow this year) -- but I don't think we see a strong correlation where rookie QBs really help your team.

~Lyuokdea
cfrs15 #1930340 03/14/22 12:02 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

and he had 2 cracks at getting the GW and sending us to the title match, but he didnt pull it out.

a healthy Watson is better than a healthy Baker. and our O line and running backs by itself is world betters than what he had in houston.

so i understand why you want to roll with baker. but i rather have a franchise QB that measures up to the completely ridiculous amount of QB's in the AFC.

so you might not understand my position. and while i do understand yours, i disagree with it.

Our OL is better when healthy. It just so happens we were banged up enough to be trotting out "some guy named Blake" that hadn't been on the team long enough for Baker to learn his full name in the playoffs. We've not been very fortunate on the injury front. Watson had Hopkins. OBJ never lasted to the playoffs and Landry was always slowed down. Baker himself has been hurt.

A QB can't throw to and block for himself.

In the playoffs: Baker was a questionable fumble into the end zone away from beating the Chiefs. DeShaun Watson lost by 20 to the Chiefs.

DeShaun Watson lost to the Colts and only managed to put up 7 points against them.

The only team DeShaun Watson has beat in the playoffs was a Buffalo Bills team whose top receivers were John Brown and Cole Beasley. They were still trotting out an end of the line Frank Gore at RB.

DeShaun Watson doesn't exactly have a great record in the playoffs.

He'd be on a worse team than Baker because we'd have to give up assets and his higher cap hit. He wouldn't have Hopkins to bail him out on low percentage hail Marys.

There's also karma and our track record with mobile QBs to worry about. Our luck and we'd sell the farm only for him to blow out an Achilles and break his throwing arm in four places in a non contact freak accident at training çamp.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
A QB can't throw to and block for himself.

We had one of the highest pass block win rates in the league.

In the playoffs: Baker was a questionable fumble into the end zone away from beating the Chiefs. DeShaun Watson lost by 20 to the Chiefs.

Are you talking about the game when the Texans had something like a 24 point league and then Mahomes went nuclear? That was Watson's fault?

The only team DeShaun Watson has beat in the playoffs was a Buffalo Bills team whose top receivers were John Brown and Cole Beasley. They were still trotting out an end of the line Frank Gore at RB.

The only team Baker beat in the playoffs was the Steelers with an old broken down QB and he still needed five turnovers.

He'd be on a worse team than Baker because we'd have to give up assets and his higher cap hit.

As long as we are giving up players off our roster then this makes no sense.

He wouldn't have Hopkins to bail him out on low percentage hail Marys.

Watson had his best statistical season in 2020. . . when Hopkins was on the Cardinals.

There's also karma and our track record with mobile QBs to worry about. Our luck and we'd sell the farm only for him to blow out an Achilles and break his throwing arm in four places in a non contact freak accident at training çamp.

Is this real?

Swish #1930348 03/14/22 12:13 PM
Legend
Legend

I do understand your position, I just don't come to the same conclusions you do on the things that support your position, which is kinda why I have the position I have.
You feel he solves a problem. I think he's a "grass is always greener on the other side" kinda thing... kinda like the way everyone was swooning over the prospect of trying to land Garroppolo (or several years back..... or, Orlando Pace, or Bill Cowher, lol... but, now everyone has finally come back to Earth on Garoppolo.

I think the term and idea of "franchise QB" is overblown in a lot of people's minds these days, too. In the playoffs, we saw what Mahommes was without his best targets. Is he not a franchise QB fit for the AFC race? We saw just how much Chase makes Burrow, and Burrow without Chase looks a lot like Weeden (without being as much of a statue). We saw several QBs get praised for dumb throws that Baker got roasted for (just heaving the ball out to a receiver that's doubled or tripled by defenders)... with the only difference being the result on the part of that receiver, and two of them were in the Superb Owl. Aaron Rodgers is the definition of "franchise QB", and he definitely elevates his players, but even he only has one Super Bowl appearance and gets held back by lack of talent and investment at WR. Brady is widely heralded as the GOAT, but even Belichick didn't hesitate to get him Randy Moss and other receiving talents. Your QB has to have viable talent for each WR role for things to run well. When you don't have that, you are limited before you even begin, and no QB can run routes for their receivers. It's the Higgins conundrum: All he does is catch balls from Baker for big plays and first downs.... except for the 97% of the time he can't get open.

In the end, - and to mix metaphors - in a world where you only need a 300HP QB to win it all, we have a 400HP QB (that was misfiring all year because he needed repairs) and folks are wanting to give up the farm for the promise and hope of 450HP without accounting for us only having a drivetrain rated for 200HP.... and doing that upgrade will very quickly cause us to not only be unable to get new parts in the long run, but we'll likely have to sell off other parts just to keep things kinda chugging along.

Browns is the Browns

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Something not really being discussed is we did say we are going with baker this year.

Why is that not the word and exactly what we are going to do?

Might be that many don't believe the information that comes from the Browns franchise...that the Browns are 'going with baker this year'.

So much comment about Watson replacing Mayfield, yet the front office says nothing to knock down those claims. To me, the lack of support in the face of the Watson rumors is a clear sign that the Browns front office would like to make Baker the fall guy for last years failures.

Can't have it both ways then claim you always supported Baker...jmo

Last edited by mac; 03/14/22 12:15 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
When people wanted Garoppolo it was based on their projection for what they thought he might become. We know that Watson is top five QB, the only questions are off the field (they are a huge red flag).

cfrs15 #1930371 03/14/22 12:28 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It was more my attempt to apply Baker Hater logic to DeShaun Watson.

While 2020 may have been his best statistical season, his team went 4-12. Playing from behind tends to "pad" QB stats. They lost by 30 points to the Bears.

Our surrounding team with Watson would be worse than the surrounding team with Baker. If we traded, we'd be giving up additional players and picks, and we'd have to work around a bigger QB contract.

What was our pass block win rate in the playoffs? When our OL was missing basically everyone.

Baker's playoff record isn't amazing, but neither is Watson's.

I'll admit Watson may be the better player. But how much better?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
1 member likes this: dawg66
Legend
Legend
yea i disagree, especially the last part. Mobile QB's are everywhere.

as far as assets, yall are so confusing on this board. one year, the QB is the most important position and there should be no cost too high to get the guy. then the next, we're all of a sudden worried about draft picks.

do you guys actually want this team to win a title, or are we all good with just being below average as long as we can HOPE to make the playoffs.

im glad AB is at least trying. he might not land watson, but atleast we know the FO tried to upgrade to keep us from falling too behind in the arms race.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1930376 03/14/22 12:30 PM
Legend
Legend
as far as assets, yall are so confusing on this board. one year, the QB is the most important position and there should be no cost too high to get the guy. then the next, we're all of a sudden worried about draft picks.

The problem here is you're taking things other people may have said and thinking it should somehow apply to me and what I'm saying.

Browns is the Browns

cfrs15 #1930378 03/14/22 12:32 PM
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
When people wanted Garoppolo it was based on their projection for what they thought he might become. We know that Watson is top five QB, the only questions are off the field (they are a huge red flag).

I don't get this either. He was 13th in QBR in 2018, 7th in 2019, 12th in 2020 (two spots behind Mayfield), and then didn't play in 2021....

He's better than Mahomes? Rodgers? Brady? Herbert? Burrows? Wilson? Murray? Josh Allen?

~Lyuokdea
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

A lot better. Like a ton. Watson is a legit top five QB. Baker, coming off his best season, was ranked 11th NFL front offices before the 2021 season.

Our surrounding team with Watson would be worse than the surrounding team with Baker. If we traded, we'd be giving up additional players and picks, and we'd have to work around a bigger QB contract.

My assumption is that we'd just be giving up picks. It wouldn't make sense to tear apart our offensive foundation to get Watson. We would trade for Watson because of the players we have on offense.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by bonefish
So where is the truth?

Who to believe?

I do not think we know or will know.

Where is the confusion? Are you saying that it somehow makes a difference that he didn't have sexual misconduct with all of his message therapists?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
It was more my attempt to apply Baker Hater logic to DeShaun Watson.

While 2020 may have been his best statistical season, his team went 4-12. Playing from behind tends to "pad" QB stats. They lost by 30 points to the Bears.

What was our pass block win rate in the playoffs? When our OL was missing basically everyone.

Baker's playoff record isn't amazing, but neither is Watson's.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WatsDe00.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MayfBa00.htm

i dunno how many times imma post these links because i swear yall ask questions that already have answers. compare Watson's best year to Baker's best year. oh, you're gonna have to pick which season for watson because he has two seasons of great numbers with back to back playoff appearances. Bakers best season was 2020, and he still had a lower completion % than Watson. for their careers, Baker never had anything higher than 63.8%, which was his rookie year btw, followed by 59, 62, and 60.while watson's lowest was his rookie year at 61.8%, followed by 68, 67, and 70.

watson averages more yards per att, more yards per game, a much higher TD-int ratio, 3 pro bowls compared to none for Baker, and i didnt even post Watson's rushing numbers. adding that element make the gap wider than it already was.

- Theodore Roosevelt
cfrs15 #1930390 03/14/22 12:42 PM
Legend
Legend
j/c...

Just looking at the facts that matter most.

New Orleans seems to have waaay better massage parlors than Charlotte.

That is all.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
2 members like this: oobernoober, Swish
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater

The problem here is you're taking things other people may have said and thinking it should somehow apply to me and what I'm saying.

well i responded to bull, but since you responded, you're also worried about assets, right?

you know what.....lets do this:

Who do you think is the better QB?

who does GM's around the league think is the better QB?

who do the players think is the better QB?

who does AB think is the better QB?

which QB would stefanski rather have?

and which QB do you think our own players would rather have if given a choice?

- Theodore Roosevelt
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum DeShaun Watson

Link Copied to Clipboard