Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
B
Legend
Legend
B
If the Browns met with him; they are coming with an offer.

I agree. Watson may be able to void a trade on the back end, but Texas can void a trade on the front end. If the Browns offer wasn't good enough by the Texans standards, we wouldn't even be allowed in the building.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Swish
Wow we still have a chance?

I guess this means that Watson did not say no to the Browns?

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
All Pro
All Pro
One thing is for sure that team building, creating a healthy and player friendly culture isn’t Andrew Berry’s strongest asset. Talk about lose and lose situation.

Either give up the next couple of years by trading two maybe three well established players and a multiple of first and second rounds picks or just end up with a total clusterfck. Take your pick.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Floquinho
One thing is for sure that team building, creating a healthy and player friendly culture isn’t Andrew Berry’s strongest asset. Talk about lose and lose situation.

Either give up the next couple of years by trading two maybe three well established players and a multiple of first and second rounds picks or just end up with a total clusterfck. Take your pick.

Those aren't the only possible picks.

I worry more about the loss of picks. Until we know what we might lose if all of this goes down, there is no sense in taking a deep dive in to what that might mean to this team

How set are we at various positions for the next several years would be one of the issues to discuss.
I like picks as much as anyone, but if the roster is fairly stable, picks don't have to be used on college players.

We also have to take in to account Baker. How much would we want to pay v how much would he want? Or with all that has happened, would he even want to sign? He may decide to move on or be happy to play under a expensive franchise tag. Baker has moved on from college programs. I don't think it beyond his personality type to hold a grudge. He may have already told Berry that he won't sign with us unless it is the top dollar offer. He may have already said he is going to give a discount to some other team if our offer isn't far and above the best offer.

I like Baker, but I wouldn't put that past him.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

man screw those picks. im tired of winning the draft every year. that hasnt done crap for this team since 99. if you have the opportunity to go get a certified franchise QB, you do it.

also, player friendly? you dont think browns players are gonna welcome Watson with open arms if he gets traded here? stop it.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
All Pro
All Pro
Jarvis Landry 2020 (injury free) vs. Amari Cooper 2022. = I’m not so sure…

Baker Mayfield 2020 (injury free) vs. DeShaun Watson 2022 (22 lawsuits distraction, not playing for 21 months, not used to windy and cold weather) = Watson is a better QB but when we factor all the circumstances….

Kareem Hunt 2020 vs. D’Ernes J 2022 = Hunt hands down.

2022 and 2023 without multiple draft picks. I’m not so sure the Browns is taking such a a huge step forward with trading Watson and losing a couple of established players.

2nd String
2nd String
Originally Posted by Southwestdawg
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
Lebron Watson
At lease DeShaun didn't make a circus out of his decision after all the decent free agents were taken leaving the team in a mess like LePunk did.

?? Lebron was a FA. Watson just signed his contract extension and decided to hold out the following season. then came the accusations, oddly right after he decided to hold out. He might not have intended to be a circus, but that's exactly what ended up happening.
LeBron waited to make his "Decision" in that circus well after all the other free agents were signed. If he cared one bit about the fans he would have let Cleveland know he wasn't going to resign earlier so they could have tried to get someone to replace him. I see your point about Watson creating a circus, but his wasn't a planned event. Watson is a POS and I don't want him in Cleveland regardless of his talent. He and Lebron are birds of a feather, talented but despicable human beings IMHO. Yes, I'm still bitter about the "Decision".

The Constitution shall never be construe to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. – Samuel Adams
1 member likes this: mgh888
M
Legend
Legend
M
Anyone got anything solid on a Cleveland meeting ? I am not seeing or hearing that. It's all Panthers, Saints.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by cfrs15

More confirmation.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I wonder if the Browns and Watson's team had this planned days ago but just not confirmed by reporters or if this came about as a result of yesterday's meetings w/ the Saints and Panthers.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M

I think this is def. a possibility.

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O
If Mayfield is so affected by this, then he's not the guy some think he is.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: FATE
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by oobernoober

Maybe. But Baker is human just like the rest of us. The Browns said they were committed to him and that he would start the year at QB (which clearly was PR speak and they are looking to replace him) and they would need to sell the farm to get Watson, which they are willing to do.

I think that would affect most people in any industry. I don't think we should assume Baker, just because he is a QB in the NFL, means he has to have this emotional kevlar vest on at all times. I think it would be a perfectly natural reaction.

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Jarvis Landry 2020 (injury free) vs. Amari Cooper 2022. = I’m not so sure…

Baker Mayfield 2020 (injury free) vs. DeShaun Watson 2022 (22 lawsuits distraction, not playing for 21 months, not used to windy and cold weather) = Watson is a better QB but when we factor all the circumstances….

Kareem Hunt 2020 vs. D’Ernes J 2022 = Hunt hands down.

2022 and 2023 without multiple draft picks. I’m not so sure the Browns is taking such a a huge step forward with trading Watson and losing a couple of established players.

Forget the Hunt Dernest deal. DJ is more long term. Hunt is gone after this season. I am perfectly good with Chubb and DJ as the top 2 backs. It will still be one of the best tandems in the league.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
IMO the Browns have been on the whole Watson thing for a long time.

Long before the recent ruling on the criminal indictment.

They are smack dab in the middle of this deal.

Take the weather out of this. We offer a better chance to win than the Panthers and Saints.

The Panthers offer a softer landing because he played at Clemson and was hero there. So the community will be more friendly. But the Panthers are far from a good team.

Both the Texans and Watson have to agree. The Texans could say I don't like the Panthers deal. So this is a mutual agreement deal.

The Texans may like Baker as a local guy and a quarterback.

I truly believe the Browns will have the best offer overall. If Watson approves this deal will happen. Today they get to meet. It is a two way meeting.

Questions from both parties. This is where the deal will happen or not.

B
Legend
Legend
B

I brought it up a little earlier this morning. Baker seems to me to be the type to hold a grudge. I think we better go all in on Watson because I have a feeling that if we don't just use the expensive franchise tag on the guy, he isn't going to sign with us unless the offer is way above anything else he receives. He may even sign somewhere for much less.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
Do you really think we offered all that? Come on man...Just how is that building a team...lol laugh

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by eotab
Do you really think we offered all that? Come on man...Just how is that building a team...lol laugh

We seem fairly set at critical positions. We must feel that getting the QB is more important than anything a rookie can contibute the next few years.

With the cap going up, we can rely more on free agency for a year or two. I like picks as well, but sometimes using picks for established players is the move to make.

How would it work out? Who knows?(shrug) Just like you never know how it is going to work out with drafted players.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
JC...I also wonder if the Browns are looking at the market for contracts, and realizing even if Baker has another soso year, that it is still going to cost a ton to retain a QB whom isn't elite...And they can obtain a QB whom is considered elite (Watson) for near the same salary. And I think Watson is under contract for 3 or 4 more years. (As Watson's huge contract, now seems more feasible in what we've seen with 2022's contracts)

Legend
Legend

i disagree a bit. i think its natural to feel some type of way if your franchise is actively searching for an upgrade at the position you start at. i think what you say is true IF he decided to throw a hissy fit and sit out or something, but its a natural feeling to be ticked off about an organization trying to replace you.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
O
Legend
Legend
O
Maybe I should rephrase....

One of the narratives on Mayfield is that he's a winner and has the mentality of a winner and can handle adversity per the path he took through college (he had to walk on two different teams or something?). He took that adversity in stride and just did his thing and 'won'.

This should be no different.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: Swish
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Berry is really starting to irritate me and is acting desperate and starting to make really questionable decisions.

Watson doesn't want to be here.

Most Browns fans don't want Watson here.

Watson will likely be suspended by the NFL (6+ games is expected) and we will be sacrificing 2022's season before it begins.

We will be in cap hell

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
how do you know he doesn't want to be here?

something tells me the dawgpound will be sold out cheering for watson week 1, if he's traded here.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

something tells me the dawgpound will be sold out cheering for watson week 1, if he's traded here.

1. it's been reported in every way possible that he was choosing between Saints and Panthers and he didn't want to waive his trade rights

2. IDK there are a lot of pissed-off women in Cleveland that we are enraged that we are even considering trading for him.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Berry is really starting to irritate me and is acting desperate and starting to make really questionable decisions.

Acting desperate? Why, because people actually believed their comments that it was set in stone Baker was the starter next year? It's his job to try and upgrade every position on the roster and he has always said as much

Why has agreed to meet with the Browns?

Until he wins games. The same was said about Kareem Hunt.

Legend
Legend

1. it's been reported in every way possible that he was choosing between Saints and Panthers and he didn't want to waive his trade rights

2. IDK there are a lot of pissed-off women in Cleveland that we are enraged that we are even considering trading for him.

1. clearly the reports are wrong, because he's meeting with the team today. he doesn't have to meet with us, and the texans didn't have to grant us a meeting with him.

2. there were ticked off women when we signed hunt too. seems like the stadium didn't lack women in the stands whatsoever.

- Theodore Roosevelt
O
Legend
Legend
O
There has been a LOT of "reporting" regarding Watson. None of what I've read would I call 'solid'. Rumor at best, IMO. Jumping to conclusions doesn't really help until we know we actually have something to get bent outta shape about.

So along those lines, knowing full well that Watson still has a long road to go to get out from under his legal issues (not even talking about morality here, just his legal cases), I don't think Berry and KS would suddenly swing for the fences for a guy that's going to cost a ton AND might not be available for a while.

If nothing else, KS and AB are way too pragmatic to sell the farm for Watson (at this point).

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
If the Browns met with him; they are coming with an offer.

I agree. Watson may be able to void a trade on the back end, but Texas can void a trade on the front end. If the Browns offer wasn't good enough by the Texans standards, we wouldn't even be allowed in the building.

Not necessarily... the more teams that actually meet with Watson the higher the Texans can drive the price...

<><

#gmstrong
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Yeah bring that piece of trash rapist in here. Cant wait, go browns. Disgusting

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
Legend
Legend
I'd be sending Nick Chubb, Haslam, and Cooper as well...

<><

#gmstrong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
If the trade does indeed go down, I'm hoping the Texans throw Brandin Cooks into the deal.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Watching the back on forth on this, talking about the cost of getting Watson. It basically comes down to a single point, if you don't have the QB on the team, nothing else matters. Thats why they are willing to part with whatever to get him. It's also why getting your QB in the draft is always the best move long term because of the cost to acquire later. As far as Watson himself, noone on this board knows what they actual situation is. All that really matters is that a grand jury didn't even find enough to charge him, which usually doesn't take much probably cause to atleast level a charge at him. They couldn't even do that. As far as the accusations of the women, well I'm not sure how much is true and how much is a money grab. Also the fact that the timing of this coming out when he asked for a trade is a bit suspicious. But only those close to it know for sure. I also don't think a suspension is a sure thing. Not being charged criminally def puts the brakes on the civil stuff and gives Watson a leg to stand on he didn't have before. From a player perspective, its easy to see why the browns are looking at him.. Baker hasn't had the growth they expected and can't make plays consistently. They obviously don't see a fit with he and stefanski. If i'm be honest, I don't think Stefanski's system will work long term if he don't adjust to the rest of the NFL, Giving Njoku the franchise tag was a bad move imo. But I think Baker can still be successful in the right system, its just not here. So no sense in prolonging it and at the end of the day, Berry and Co's job is directly tied to the moves they make and the success they bring. But Watson is a CLEAR upgrade. He would make cleveland instant contenders. But one thing is for sure, there isn't any chance Baker is here next year, even if the browns want him

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
IMO Baker was told all about this meeting.

Berry is not going to let Baker hear this on social media. He is does not want to alienate Baker if he remains with the Browns. It is the professional thing to do. Baker will roll with the punches.

He has moved before. For all we know he may like the idea of being in Texas.

I would rather roll with Baker. But in the end players come and go. I am about the Browns and have no input on decisions made.

I think this thing is way further along than what people think.

IMO the civil cases will be settled. Haslam may already know if the NFL will suspend him.

Plans will be in place from a PR standpoint to begin to reframe Watson's image. He will be visible with his wife with charities and community involvement.

There are full throttle plans in place.

The decision is Texans, Watson, Haslam and Berry.

I don't like it but that is what I think is going down.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Exactly, I think the Browns already know exactly what the NFL plans on doing with Watson and have a plan in place for it. Berry doesn't seem like a guy to leave a stone unturned and when he makes a move he has all the info.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
All Pro
All Pro

Watson will likely be suspended by the NFL (6+ games is expected) and we will be sacrificing 2022's season before it begins.

We will be in cap hell

Couldn’t agree more. Building a successful organization in a city who’s already crippled with disadvantages like colder climate and offering a relative small market must include intangibles like being player friendly and having a welcoming culture. Andrew Berry is acting like he’s the new sheriff in town swinging his guns all over the place. It’s a dangerous road.

Being over aggressive when it comes to trading players often creates tension and uncertainties. Who’s safe, who’s next out of the door? After decades of underachieving results the FO in Cleveland is acting like they are a top dog, that’s not the case. Most successful teams are built with patience and a long term plan. Not like this with key players who’s flying in and out all the time.

OBJ was never committed to Cleveland. What happened? The sign was there from the first minute. DeShaun Watson gives me the same vibes. Time will tell but this last 24h seems like a organization who’s nowhere and everywhere at the same time. If the Browns isn’t successful with trading Watson to the Browns then Berry has a lot to answer.

L
Legend
Legend
L

We will be in cap hell

Couldn’t agree more. Building a successful organization in a city who’s already crippled with disadvantages like colder climate and offering a relative small market must include intangibles like being player friendly and having a welcoming culture. Andrew Berry is acting like he’s the new sheriff in town swinging his guns all over the place. It’s a dangerous road.

Being over aggressive when it comes to trading players often creates tension and uncertainties. Who’s safe, who’s next out of the door? After decades of underachieving results the FO in Cleveland is acting like they are a top dog, that’s not the case. Most successful teams are built with patience and a long term plan. Not like this with key players who’s flying in and out all the time.

OBJ was never committed to Cleveland. What happened? The sign was there from the first minute. DeShaun Watson gives me the same vibes. Time will tell but this last 24h seems like a organization who’s nowhere and everywhere at the same time. If the Browns isn’t successful with trading Watson to the Browns then Berry has a lot to answer.

what does he have to answer for if the trade doesn't happen...that doesn't even make sense. Its pretty obvious, they aren't behind Baker long term. His job is to get players his coaching staff feel good about running their system. Its obvious they don't feel thats baker, nothing to answer for.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by tru_dawgs
If the trade does indeed go down, I'm hoping the Texans throw Brandin Cooks into the deal.

if AB pulls something like that off, go ahead and hand him exec of the year.

- Theodore Roosevelt
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I think AB and KS are very intelligent and they have had to plan this all along.

Initial Plan - Pursue Watson once he was acquitted of criminal charges and trading Baker as partial compensation.

Contingency Plan - Watson not attained, Baker alienated, trade for Garropolo, trade Baker, draft Willis/Ridder.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Hmmm. We'll see.

Tackles are tackles.
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum DeShaun Watson II

Link Copied to Clipboard