Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
2 members like this: PitDAWG, mgh888
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Jester
It is a Baker vs:

Watson, and
$20 million higher cap hit and
The players we need to cut/not sign because of that cap hit and
3 1st round picks and
Perhaps some other picks and
Perhaps a couple young talented established players and
t

Jack Duffin
@JackDuffin
Replying to
@perrydawg57
You can get Watson down to $9.875m for 2022 so would be okay

https://twitter.com/JackDuffin/status/1503764920734826500

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

2 members like this: PitDAWG, Spiritbro77
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The cap hit is the one thing you guys are focusing on from my post?

Swish, I am not worried about it but it is a factor.
Who does the hit keep us from signing?
Obviously we won't know specifics but it will be somebody.

Milk - That is for 2022. Fine but it really just kicks the can down the road.

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Swish
can you guys explain to me why you're worried about the cap hit? i get everything else, but this is a guy who is already signed for 4 years. if we had to sign baker, he'd cost a lot more than Watson. just doesnt make any sense. any QB worth the contract is gonna cost at least that.

I don't think it is the $$$$ he is concerned about - that line you are looking at is directly tied to the next line which is what players need to be cut to make room for Watson. Without making the assumption you can restructure the contract - it's a fair consideration.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
1 member likes this: Jester
All Pro
All Pro
Let me be clear. A fully focused and healthy DeShaun Watson is huge upgrade compared to Mayfield. A top 5 QB probably talented enough to take any decent team to a SB. I’m 100% sure he will make our offense much much better then we saw last season, probably on par with the Bills and close to the Chiefs if we can give him two good WR. But If it only where that simple.

It’s one thing to give away a couple of random draft picks but two maybe three first and second round picks in consecutive means we have no chance to refill our roster with young upcoming talent and that will sooner or later cost us. Trade Baker is one thing but together with two maybe three other quality players we lose a lose a lot of talent. That together with our cap space can make this deal costly.

Secondly maybe Mayfield isn’t a top ten QB but he’s not alone. There are huge question marks regarding Kevin Stefanski. His award in first season means nada. There is nothing so far that indicates that he’s a elite play caller and HC. We can argue to death with each other but the results doesn’t lie. If Baker isn’t elite then the same must said about Ski. If we don’t have excuses for Bakers injury then the same applies to Stefanski.

Then we have the 22 lawsuits. 22 women. 22 independent story’s about potential sexual misbehavior. Legally guilty or not in todays liberal climate it’s not a good sign and any new case or wrong doing will probably end his career in a heart beat. It’s huge risk to invest a couple of years of this organizations future with knowing you’re potentially dealing with dynamite.

Morally I don’t like what Andrew Berry is doing.He don’t seems honest and straight forward when dealing with players. One mistake is nothing but maybe we’re starting to see seeing a pattern with his dealing with OBJ, Landry and Baker.

O
Legend
Legend
O
This will work out bad for whoever signs him IMHO. The civil courts and NFL will have their way with him at some point. With so many accusers, I don't see how he won't catch a suspension at minimum. Unless there is some kind of proof he was 100% innocent across the board on these allegations, he will be suspended. And I'm getting strong DIVA vibes from this DW lottery.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
we dont know yet. have you seen all these teams around the league magically make the money work? so i dont know why we couldnt do the same. the cap seems to be the most harped on thing here, thats why i responded to that first.

also, the picks in exchange for a top 5 QB is something any team that needs a QB would give up if given the opportunity, which is why there were multiple teams trying to trade for him. there's very few guys who are untouchable on our roster when it comes to trades. i could see Berry sacrificing some defensive talent, for example.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
What did he do with Landry and OBJ? Am I missing something?

O
Legend
Legend
O
I'm well aware of the timeline as I'm aware of Watson not wanting to play for Houston before the allegations came out.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/19/sports/football/deshaun-watson-tony-buzbee-sexual-assault.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/04/14/tony-buzbee-interview-deshaun-watson/

The lawyer has a rep. If you're saying the way he went about this makes his case immune to people looking to score a payday from an athlete, then you're being willfully ignorant. Also, same lawyer initially wanted to settle it all quietly. This is nowhere near the 'good vs evil' situation that you're trying to portray. Far more reasonable to wait for more (real) information.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
i get it but we have to try.

look at the AFC, specifically the West. even with our talent as is, Baker puts us at a disadvantage. Watson has shown he can elevate the players around him. Baker really hasn't. at the end, we need a QB we can trust, especially in the 4th. i just dont have any confidence its baker. and because of that, there's not a team we could put around baker that will take us to the top, because baker hasn't shown he can carry a team.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by superbowldogg

That's a very good read and a balanced / realistic perspective.

1 member likes this: FATE
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Swish
i get it but we have to try.

look at the AFC, specifically the West. even with our talent as is, Baker puts us at a disadvantage. Watson has shown he can elevate the players around him. Baker really hasn't. at the end, we need a QB we can trust, especially in the 4th. i just dont have any confidence its baker. and because of that, there's not a team we could put around baker that will take us to the top, because baker hasn't shown he can carry a team.

I disagree - I think Baker in his rookie year elevated below average WRs who are either out of the NFL or on the cusp of no longer being in the NFL. I think in 2020 - the last 9 games of the year, Baker was excellent and ran KS offense to a high level of execution. But that's me and what I see. I choose to disregard the crapola we saw under Kitchens and in early 2020 facotrs I consider are there was [1] a lot of change with scheme, mechanics [2] 3 really really bad weather games. Again - jmo

L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Apparently the push for Anybody But Baker is going to pressure the Browns more than anything else.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I wonder if part of the pitch to Watson is that Stefanski will stop calling plays?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
This is sickening. This didn't start out as 22 women with a lawyer. Why in the hell can't you figure out that criminal courts do not prosecute he said. she said cases because there's no way to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt? That has nothing to do with guilt or innocence.

Your response is sickening and degrading to women.

Your tendency to always think the worst of people can be sickening.

If he's the monster you make him out to be, why were there only "he said, she said" cases and no actual evidence if this was so widespread and egregious?

Something doesn't add up.

This happened to more than 22 women and not a single one filed a police report at the time or has any evidence?

The fact that people believe that without question seems more degrading to women than considering the possibility that someone's being loose with the truth.

Yes, I understand that there are reasons a woman wouldn't report an assault to the police, and I feel awful that such things can and do happen.

For me, though, the size of the story without any evidence works against it. 22 women and over a year and you couldn't gather enough corroborating evidence to even go to trial? It's a huge story, all the major networks and newspapers are digging into it, law enforcement as well, and nothing legally incriminating comes to light?

It angers and sickens me that people that have been victims of sexual assault see what's happening and see that as evidence that they wouldn't be believed, either.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The only way KS gives up play calling is if he is fired !

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
I wonder if part of the pitch to Watson is that Stefanski will stop calling plays?

How does this make any sense at all?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by waterdawg

i could see KS trying to sabotage the entire roster just to keep calling plays.

- Theodore Roosevelt
All Pro
All Pro

If I where Watson I would refuse to have Stefanski as a play caller. If we have any ambitions we should move on from our HC.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Milk - That is for 2022. Fine but it really just kicks the can down the road.

Salary cap explodes in 2023 when new TV deals kick in. I trust Berry and the FO to manage the cap.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted by Floquinho

If I where Watson I would refuse to have Stefanski as a play caller. If we have any ambitions we should move on from our HC.

🤣

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted by cfrs15

How does this make any sense at all?

“Hello, I am here to tell you to choose my team. I am also here to tell you I am terrible at a large component of my job.”

Legend
Legend

lol damn this one was a zinger

- Theodore Roosevelt
4 members like this: oobernoober, PrplPplEater, Dave
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

They probably already had an investigator do that.

Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think you missed the point of that tweet.

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Putting "victims" in the same room with the person that "victimized" them (if you believe that version of events) sounded like an especially bad idea.

Fiercely Independent.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg

Putting "victims" in the same room with the person that "victimized" them (if you believe that version of events) sounded like an especially bad idea.

[1] I absolutely doubt 100% that anyone from the Browns or represents the Browns has spoken to any (alleged) victim.
[2] You can't be that dense to think the suggestion was to put them in the same room. Virtual or otherwise.

Ho hum

Legend
Legend

- Theodore Roosevelt
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
At the end of the day it only matters what he does on the field, everybody will forget about anything else.

Big Ben raped people.
Ray Lewis murdered someone.

Not that I'm okay with any of it, just stating the facts. Nobody cares as long as he produces on the football field. It will be overlooked.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
D
Legend
Legend
D
Speak for yourself.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted by tastybrownies
At the end of the day it only matters what he does on the field, everybody will forget about anything else.

Big Ben raped people.

Not that I'm okay with any of it, just stating the facts. Nobody cares as long as he produces on the football field. It will be overlooked.

The entire league is a dirty business.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-ex-pla...ent-in-concussions-suit-0ap1000000235494

The Browns wheel out Jim Brown whenever possible and he threw a lady off a balcony (among a litany of other assault allegations).

Jimmy Haslam defrauded truck drivers and basically got away with it.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Big Ben raped people.

Nope. You and obviously others will do that.

I never ever heard Ben's name without thinking of him as a rapist. I never heard Lewis's name without thinking of him as probably having killed someone. If the Browns end up with Watson everything he does as a Brown will forever be marked with an Asterix in my mind. Tarnished and mean less. There's probably others that might feel that way too..

L
All Pro
All Pro
L

Big Ben raped people.

Just going to point out this will not be true.

Dave #1931084 03/15/22 05:51 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Amen !

Legend
Legend
Just clicking.. Let me understand..

Watson was accused by around 22 woman of bad conduct.

Grand Jury refuses to indict him

No Criminal Charges will be filed

The league may still impose some restrictions or fines or suspension on him

He faces numerous women

If all that weren't enough, his contract is huge... Or course it could always be redone...

But as is, it's frickin HUGE..

If I read the chart I saw right, it's 15 million this year alone..

How do they fit him in?

Landry gone, Beckham gone, JC Tretter gone. Add in Coopers money and geez,, More moves would have to be make right?

I don't see us fitting him in moneywise.. But then again, I'm not even close to a CAP guru.....

Still, money aside, I think he'd be more trouble....

Last edited by Damanshot; 03/15/22 06:08 PM.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Originally Posted by jfanent
Yeah, him publicly badmouthing the FO and refusing to play had nothing to do with why he's available.
smile

You don't pay someone over 10 mil. who refuses to play. This isn't hard to figure out.

You agreed that the accusations were the only reason Deshaun Watson is available (which is what I responded to). It's not, no matter how you decide to pick another argument out of what I posted. LWL the goal post mover, lol. Anyhow, per PFT in Feb of 21, Watson did refuse to play for the texans.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: archbolddawg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by mgh888
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg

[1] I absolutely doubt 100% that anyone from the Browns or represents the Browns has spoken to any (alleged) victim.
[2] You can't be that dense to think the suggestion was to put them in the same room. Virtual or otherwise.

Ho hum

1. Perhaps not directly, but I'm sure they've gotten a hold of the accusers' claims and associated info somehow. I'm confident that the Browns have done a ton of homework on the situation.

2. The literal interpretation of the tweet sounded like a bad idea. That's why I didn't interpret it that way.

I remember why I don't spend as much time on this board as I used to. People can't get past there own opinions long enough to try to understand what other people are trying to say. That or people expect to be understood without actually spelling things out.

Fiercely Independent.
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum DeShaun Watson II

Link Copied to Clipboard