Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#1931290 03/16/22 09:05 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I don't know Haslam. All I know is his tenure with the Browns. I never worked for him. I don't know a thing about his business and all that went on when it was busted.

It was however an indication of what he allowed to happen.

As a NFL team owner his record is a failure until Baker came to the Browns.

So, now weeks ago Stefanski and Berry are emphatic "Baker is our quarterback."

Enter Haslam. We are going to make an offer for Watson. Dee Haslam is a visible representative of the organization. They supported Kareem Hunt.
Got him back into the NFL and provided the net around him.

This is different. Hunt did something wrong toward a woman one time that we know of. He is not a repeat offender as far as we know.

I did not hear the testmony of witnesses or the presentation of evidence. I was not behind the closed doors of the Grand jury.

Nor have I sat across from Watson looked into his eyes and asked him questions.

So, I do not know the truth.

Atlanta, Carolina, New Orleans, NY Jets, or any other team who has made an offer. They also had to reach a conclusion.

However this turns out this is Haslam's move. He should be judged because he is the one who is making a statement of approval.

bonefish #1931292 03/16/22 09:11 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
He's a dumb ass!!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
3 members like this: dawglover05, tastybrownies, Spiritbro77
bonefish #1931293 03/16/22 09:11 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Supposedly, one of the 22 accusations vs Watson came AFTER the first ones came to light. It was in one of the links I put in the Watson thread. Ugh...

That said, Dee has been taking the more active role in the Browns over the past few years. Our FO and coach have established an MO of being shrewd and really smart in acquiring talent, as well as sticking to their guns.

It's really hard to keep away from the edge of the bridge, but I'll wait until more info comes out. We're losing our minds over very little actual info.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
bonefish #1931294 03/16/22 09:13 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
If people believe this is a Haslem move, then the Browns are doing their job perfectly steering the fans' mindset into believing this is a Jimmy decision as the villain who trumped the FO into trying to get Watson as opposed to this FO wanting to move on from Baker and get a proven franchise QB.

Tackles are tackles.
2 members like this: Milk Man, Ballpeen
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
If you think for a moment that Haslam did not sign off on this.

Then check who was on the flight to Houston.

With all that is involved in this Haslam has to sign off.

If Watson is signed. Who has to face the press? Who has to sell Watson to the community?

Who has to insure the season ticket holders why the organization supports the move?

So, are you saying Berry has the authority to do this on his own?

bonefish #1931314 03/16/22 09:39 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M

Has there ever been a situation where the Browns FO executed a trade and/or FA signing decision where ownership didn't sign off? That's the barrier of entry with these transactions. Of course ownership has signed off on this.

But you can already see the narrative begin to switch to this was a Haslem move and something the FO might not have wanted. If one believes this, the PR team is doing their job perfectly.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Yep. Let Haslam be the bad guy and shield Berry and Stefanski.

“No uncoordinated leaks.”

bonefish #1931322 03/16/22 09:51 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by bonefish

Then check who was on the flight to Houston.

With all that is involved in this Haslam has to sign off.

If Watson is signed. Who has to face the press? Who has to sell Watson to the community?

Who has to insure the season ticket holders why the organization supports the move?

So, are you saying Berry has the authority to do this on his own?

No, all owners have the seal of approval. It's stupid to think they don't. I don't think this was an idea birthed by the Haslams. It probably came up as general discussion by all parties.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Oh, Berry & Depo & Stefanski would deserve heat, too. Those first two, it's their job to tell Haslam he's being stupid when he's being stupid. So, no heat comes off them at all.

In either case, with the lawyer "coincidence", this thing feels VERY orchestrated going way back.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
Oh, Berry & Depo & Stefanski would deserve heat, too. Those first two, it's their job to tell Haslam he's being stupid when he's being stupid. So, no heat comes off them at all.

In either case, with the lawyer "coincidence", this thing feels VERY orchestrated going way back.

If the Browns trade for Watson, you'd have to assume a press conference would happen in short order. I'm of the belief, even if they don't pull it off, they might want to come to the podium regardless and give their explanation & side of the story in pursuing him.

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: FATE
bonefish #1931332 03/16/22 10:10 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M

I blame fan naivety for actually taking them at face value. What else were they going to say at the time?

This is not the first time a team moved on from a QB after "emphatically" saying their QB is their guy.

Milk Man #1931344 03/16/22 10:35 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
There are no mysteries here.

Baker was not signed to an extension. If it was believed that he was the franchise quarterback that would have happened.

So, everyone knew the Browns were looking for alternatives.

Baker knows this season nothing changes no matter where he plays. He has to play his best football.

Nobody will question a team looking to improve performance at quarterback. That is not in question.

What is the question is Watson? The Rooney family got out in front. Not interested.

Haslam approached by Berry, Depo and maybe Stafanski asked to investigate this opportunity. This has been in the works for a long time.

Haslam made the decision. I am not passing ethical judgement. Simply stating the process.

However, this turns out all those involved share the responsibility.

Milk Man #1931348 03/16/22 10:47 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Milk Man

I blame fan naivety for actually taking them at face value. What else were they going to say at the time?

This is not the first time a team moved on from a QB after "emphatically" saying their QB is their guy.

Wow , that hit me like a ton of bricks . So in America today you can't take a man's word ! And if you do , it's your fault . I know I just really simplified the situation , but that's the bottom line.

Last edited by waterdawg; 03/16/22 10:48 AM.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
If the Browns trade for Watson, you'd have to assume a press conference would happen in short order. I'm of the belief, even if they don't pull it off, they might want to come to the podium regardless and give their explanation & side of the story in pursuing him.

I'd pull a Costanza and just show back up to work and act like nothing happened.

1 member likes this: AZBrown
Milk Man #1931350 03/16/22 10:49 AM
Legend
Legend

I'd pull a Costanza and just show back up to work and act like nothing happened.

plot twist: Dee is the one who will answer questions at the press conference.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
1 member likes this: tastybrownies
waterdawg #1931356 03/16/22 11:02 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by waterdawg

Wow , that hit me like a ton of bricks . So in America today you can't take a man's word ! And if you do , it's your fault . I know I just really simplified the situation , but that's the bottom line.

When they were asked, Baker was the team's QB. They never promised that he would be the QB in the future.

They've always said that they are always looking to improve, everywhere.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
bonefish #1931363 03/16/22 11:20 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
As in any sport, you are the man, until you're not.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Bull_Dawg #1931365 03/16/22 11:21 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Bull I'm 74 years old , been a Browns fanatic since birth ( It seems like ). I also seem to be slow to the party . I will never believe anything coming out of Breea . Not that they give a sh-- about me or the Fan base . lol

I think this is as much to do with Stefanski as is does with slime ball Haslam's. Feel like Berry got himself caught in the Middle.

waterdawg #1931370 03/16/22 11:26 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
I can agree with it being a problem that has festered between Stefanski and Baker. Things looked strained last season. It looks like a one of the two needs to go and the decision is behind the coach.

Just the way I see it.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
2 members like this: tastybrownies, Tackman
waterdawg #1931375 03/16/22 11:31 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by waterdawg
Bull I'm 74 years old , been a Browns fanatic since birth ( It seems like ). I also seem to be slow to the party . I will never believe anything coming out of Breea . Not that they give a sh-- about me or the Fan base . lol

Interesting in that this may be generational.

The more the Browns said Baker was definitely their starter next season the more I actually felt he would not be.

It's like when an owner of a team publicly gives a coach a vote of confidence, that is usually the kiss of death for said coach.

If a team feels the need to come out multiple times to say someone if their guy, he's probably not their guy.

Milk Man #1931379 03/16/22 11:35 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O

It's not even naivety. AB has been clear they will improve any/all position if possible. There are no sacred cows on this roster... he's made that crystal clear.

Someone also made a really great point. I'm a Baker fan, but this is true. There are VERY few QBs in the league that have established themselves to the point where their teams would be in the wrong in trying to improve on the QB position. Baker is not one of those QBs.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: Milk Man
Legend
Legend
I get all that, but I can't help but look at this offseason thus far and feel that this organization has gone schizo compared to what they've done over the past few years.
The point that someone else made regarding all the talk about building and establishing a new culture, and now we seem to be reverting right back to what we were... that's exactly what it feels like to me.

Browns is the Browns

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
O
Legend
Legend
O
I'm holding out hope that an elaborate plan is merely unfolding and we have yet to find out about it. I dunno, man. Not much is making sense right now so I'm holding out for more info before I run to the edge of hte bridge.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
I'm starting to feel like the org is being ran by Sybil

Browns is the Browns

Milk Man #1931401 03/16/22 11:57 AM
All Pro
All Pro

The difference between a player friendly and honest organization and Cleveland Browns is that most successful GMs/HCs don't have to lie or even behave shady to get their message thru. You know that little detail with having honest intentions and be straight forward. Treat your players well and you will be rewarded and the opposite. I know that old fashion pre millennium stuff is not popular today but with some successful organizations it seems to work.

I had high hopes when we appointed Berry and Stefanski. Silly me. Two bought corporate guys with zero integrity.

Floquinho #1931405 03/16/22 11:59 AM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Literally every GM and coach lie. All of them. Every time they are in front of the media.

cfrs15 #1931406 03/16/22 12:02 PM
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted by cfrs15
Literally every GM and coach lie. All of them. Every time they are in front of the media.
No!

L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Originally Posted by oobernoober
I'm holding out hope that an elaborate plan is merely unfolding and we have yet to find out about it. I dunno, man. Not much is making sense right now so I'm holding out for more info before I run to the edge of hte bridge.

I want my picks back, and I want David god damn Putney, just because I feel like it.

bonefish #1931481 03/16/22 02:07 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If the Browns sign a sexual predator then they ALL are the bad guys and ALL are to blame.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
LexDawg #1931498 03/16/22 02:20 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by LexDawg
Originally Posted by oobernoober

I want my picks back, and I want David god damn Putney, just because I feel like it.

Ugh... yeah, pretty much.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
Oh, Berry & Depo & Stefanski would deserve heat, too. Those first two, it's their job to tell Haslam he's being stupid when he's being stupid.

While that's certainly true, as we have witnessed, depending on the individual he may totally ignore any advice he is given and follow the preconceived notions in his head. The man who signs the checks has the final say.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
bonefish #1931508 03/16/22 02:45 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Jimmy Haslam did NOT learn from the mistakes that Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder made. Just shut up and sign the checks Jimmy. Wealth does not equal intelligence in the NFL. The sadness continues.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
Milk Man #1931540 03/16/22 03:54 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Defiantly Generational !.. I really have a hard time understanding half the stuff that goes on , and is executable in our culture today.. It ain't easy being an old , old time American. lol

Ballpeen #1931544 03/16/22 03:57 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
On the same page with ya. Feels like we are going backwards right now.

waterdawg #1931657 03/16/22 05:45 PM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
JC....

...all I can say to some of you...WOW, LOOK AT YOU NOW..!

Last edited by mac; 03/16/22 05:47 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #1931672 03/16/22 06:19 PM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Browns are the epitome of hypocrisy with pursuit of Texans' Deshaun Watson | Opinion

Marla Ridenour Akron Beacon Journal
link

Cleveland Browns co-owners Jimmy and Dee Haslam are considering selling their souls for a Super Bowl.

In exploring a trade for the Houston Texans’ Deshaun Watson by meeting with the quarterback on Tuesday, the Browns are making the franchise the NFL epitome of hypocrisy.

Not that they are alone.

Watson is subject to a league suspension and facing 22 civil suits from massage therapists alleging sexual misconduct or sexual assault. That goes against everything the Browns have tried to build under general manager Andrew Berry and coach Kevin Stefanski.

The Browns have espoused diversity, inclusion, character and accountability. They have emphasized education.

Apparently educating men on the respectful treatment of women is not part of the curriculum.

It's possible Watson will be absolved as innocent. The civil suits may prove fruitless.

But at the moment, the Browns look prepared to make Watson a football hero like every other Cleveland quarterback and punt on what looks like his flawed character, believing like so many others in the NFL they can fix him.

They move forward in their pursuit of Watson even though since the allegations surfaced he has publicly shown no hint of accountability.

Should they like what they hear from Watson, the Browns must still persuade him to waive his no-trade clause. They then would have to mortgage their future, with the Texans’ asking price currently three first-round picks and additional assets. They would have to trade quarterback Baker Mayfield, perhaps even without assurances that the NFL will not suspend Watson for all or part of 2022.

I am on record as saying the Browns should have selected Clemson’s Watson with the No. 1 overall pick in 2017. I overlooked his 32 career interceptions because of his dedication. At his interview before Clemson’s 2016 BCS semifinal game against Ohio State, I was impressed that he graduated in three years, taking 19 hours in the fall of 2015 during the Tigers' run to the championship game. I thought that was an indication of the work ethic required at the professional level.

I believe in second chances. But I have to side with 22 women now — even if the Browns won’t.

Watson escaped criminal charges last week, but 22 women didn’t collude and come up with the same story.

In 2017, then-EVP of football operations Sashi Brown chose defensive end Myles Garrett with the first overall pick and traded the Browns’ second first-rounder, 12th overall, to the Texans for two firsts. That enabled the Texans to grab Watson.

With the picks received from the Texans, the Browns selected safety Jabrill Peppers, later traded to the New York Giants in the Odell Beckham Jr. deal, and cornerback Denzel Ward, taken fourth overall in 2018. Brown’s successor, former general manager John Dorsey, grabbed Mayfield first overall in 2018.

Perhaps there were questions about Watson in 2017. Chief Strategy Officer Paul DePodesta joined the Browns in January 2016 and was part of the pre-draft process. So, too, was Berry, then vice president of player personnel.

But the Browns find themselves stuck in the netherworld now. Good enough not to pick in the top 10, average enough that their franchise quarterback is not coming through the draft, barring another shot-in-the-dark Tom Brady-like miracle

Last season, Mayfield tried to play through a torn labrum in his left, non-throwing shoulder suffered in Week 2 and it backfired. With his poor performance, he looked nothing like the leader who took the Browns to their first playoff game in 18 years in 2020 and helped record the first postseason victory since Jan. 1, 1995.

Mayfield looked more like he was ready to join the parade of backup-at-best quarterbacks the Browns have selected over the years than a player worth a blockbuster contract extension.

That said, Watson has a 28-25 regular-season record as a starter in his four seasons. Mayfield is 29-30. Watson, only one inch taller than Mayfield, is an upgrade in terms of his arm and physical skills.

Pursuing Watson makes sense only on a football level. Until he's cleared of wrongdoing, he doesn't look like the kind of leader long-suffering Browns fans deserve, at least those who aren’t willing to look the other way.

During Super Bowl week, the Browns received the inaugural "John B. Wooten Award," given by the Fritz Pollard Alliance to NFL teams that embody workplace diversity, equity, and inclusion.

The Browns seemingly put those values above all else, pushing for opportunities for minorities and women. But in meeting with Watson with no certainty of where the civil suits will lead, the Haslams are showing what they value most — the financial windfall of a possible Super Bowl run.

Marla Ridenour can be reached at mridenour@thebeaconjournal.com. Read more about the Browns at www.beaconjournal.com/browns. Follow her on Twitter at www.twitter.com/MRidenourABJ.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #1931687 03/16/22 06:53 PM
Legend
Legend
"Tough, Smart, and Accountable" aren't guardrails... they're a load of marketing trash. Good quotables for the GM.

Browns is the Browns

O
Legend
Legend
O
They must know something about the legal stuff that the public doesn't. That's the only reason I can see for them going in like this on DW.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Milk Man #1931714 03/16/22 09:05 PM
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T

This is gold. I'm in my office!

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
bonefish #1932219 03/17/22 06:26 PM
Legend
Legend
[Linked Image from img.ifunny.co]

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Jimmy Haslam

Link Copied to Clipboard