Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
bonefish #1932230 03/17/22 06:50 PM
Legend
Legend
This front office strategy is eerily similar to what Putin did in the Ukraine. Fail. Compare our FO to Putin. We had a plan that we thought was foolproof, and felt that we would just swoop in and take Watson. We were too arrogant and full of ourselves to consider that the population would actually see it for what it is and rail against the plan. Then we go in and fail miserably, because the plan had faults from the get go due to miscalculating and poor planning. Meanwhile, we alienate the one person that could help the team going forward to the point that he demands a trade.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
FATE #1932234 03/17/22 07:17 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Haslam is a successful business billionaire.

Berry, Depo, Stefanski highly educated intelligent guys. I don't understand how they planned this?

They hired security and had been investigating Watson for a year. They have had four years of experience with Baker. They have to know him.

When the 2021 season ended the normal procedure is to look back at what went wrong? The goals were not achieved. You review and develop plans to correct the failure.

A couple weeks after the season why did they not get out in front of this. Call Baker in and tell him they are going to look around.

They should have known that given Watson and the Texans. Their chances to have the Texans trade within the conference and Watson to agree to come to Cleveland while looking at other warm weather teams (they knew Carolina was all in) (they knew the Saints could be a player) That they were a dark horse at best.

Before they prepared an offer. They should have had Baker under control. Then someone leaks out to Chris Mortenson "they want an adult."
For crying out loud have control of your organization.

What is wrong with these people? Now they are in a twitter war with Baker? Really?

Baker needs to know. It is a privilage to be a starter in the NFL. But if your results are not at a pro bowl level. The team will look to upgrade. Life in the NFL. Hello. Baker you are not helping your value to another team by going public about how you feel.

This was poorly planned and executed worse.

1 member likes this: mac
bonefish #1932236 03/17/22 07:18 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
[Linked Image from waitingfornextyear.com]

1 member likes this: tastybrownies
eotab #1932237 03/17/22 07:18 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by eotab
He's a dumb ass!!

I don't think he is, he makes a hell of a lot more money then us. He also wants to have a winning organization ,so everyone will be happy.

The Rooneys do it, so do other high caliber franchises.

damn ya all don't know [censored] but to complain.

The Browns haven't won a SB why ?

why don't you all just chill !

LMAO.. ya don't know [censored] !

bonefish #1932247 03/17/22 07:26 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not sure what sports are more full of, overpaid athletes, owners who fans say are stupid or just the fan who thinks they are smarter then the ones who own coach and play the game !

jfanent #1932248 03/17/22 07:27 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
This front office strategy is eerily similar to what Putin did in the Ukraine.

I've seen some pretty ridiculous intro arguments in my time here but this one might be near the top.

Tackles are tackles.
2 members like this: oobernoober, jfanent
jfanent #1932259 03/17/22 07:43 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by jfanent
This front office strategy is eerily similar to what Putin did in the Ukraine. Fail. Compare our FO to Putin. We had a plan that we thought was foolproof, and felt that we would just swoop in and take Watson. We were too arrogant and full of ourselves to consider that the population would actually see it for what it is and rail against the plan. Then we go in and fail miserably, because the plan had faults from the get go due to miscalculating and poor planning. Meanwhile, we alienate the one person that could help the team going forward to the point that he demands a trade.

Not a big fan of the comparison.

There's also a case for teams figuring out Baker, and Baker being unwilling or unable to adapt. Keep Baker in the pocket with your DL's hands up and his accuracy (and ability to see wide open receivers) disappears. Throw in locker room friction and we're once again looking at QB purgatory with or without Mayfield. Watson was a Hail Mary (or whatever the unholy version is) with no other apparent option for going into the season with an above average QB.

Yes, Baker is "average," but it took the Steelers' imploding for him to win a playoff game.

We'll probably trade down for a future first and have to hope that that team is awful if we're going to find a long term QB.

Baker was better than what we were used to, but the goal is better than that. He wasn't good enough for the FO to want to put up with the Aaron Rodgers act.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
You bring up the Steelers which is the Rooney family.

They had Ben there for a full career. He retires. They are in the market for a quarterback.

What did they do? Tomlin says they are going to embrace the process of looking for a new quarterback.

They announce no interest in Watson. End of the Watson story.

They look at the draft prospects. They decide to sign Trubisky to a two year deal. A former Cleveland kid and second pick in the draft. Who was traded to the Bills. Still a young guy who never had a chance with Chicago. Bills rave about his character. Trubisky says I appreciate the chance to prove myself again with coach Tomlin and the Steeler organization.

How did Haslam and the Browns play their hand? Apparently they were ready to move on from Baker. How did they handle it?

By getting into a twitter war with Baker. Losing out on Watson with all his baggage knowing they had to be the underdog to land him.

And now what their options? Second hand quarterbacks who they don't know who they can get.

So if you like Haslam and what he has done please show me something he has done to win?

bonefish #1932266 03/17/22 07:56 PM
All Pro
All Pro
It’s about a rotten culture.

Ending up in a chaos like this isn’t because some player are immature or someone says or do the wrong thing. It’s a pattern with lack of trust and those who don’t want to see it will never understand the importance of having a healthy and player friendly culture.

It’s simple and you can even read it in the Bible, Luke 6:31. Treat others the same way you want them to treat you.

Players, you and me are humans. Being treated with respect is important if someone demand the best from us. Having and keeping our pride is a factor who’s part of respect. I think everyone understands that we can’t always get the total truth but at the same time we don’t expect lies or mind games from those close to us. A organization built on respect and trust will be rewarded of those connected to them.

Companies who treat their customers with respect gets loyalty. Government who’s it fair and act with honesty and straight forward will sooner or later be rewarded with votes. It’s not rocket science.

I don’t care how the Browns FO try to spin the media circus of this drama because the important thing isn’t who’s right or wrong, it’s how it’s end.

Right now everyone and this drama is losers and it hasn’t reflect good on this organization. The Browns reputation has reach a new low again. For that the owners, Berry and Stefanski has to take the majority of blame, They had most of the power and they misused it and didn’t care about the short or long term consequences.

bonefish #1932277 03/17/22 08:06 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by bonefish

So if you like Haslam and what he has done please show me something he has done to win?

Chubb Hunt Clowney Garret Ward

bonefish #1932281 03/17/22 08:09 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
We paid more money to players last year than any other team.

bonefish #1932329 03/17/22 09:41 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Haslam is a successful business billionaire.

Berry, Depo, Stefanski highly educated intelligent guys. I don't understand how they planned this?

They hired security and had been investigating Watson for a year. They have had four years of experience with Baker. They have to know him.

When the 2021 season ended the normal procedure is to look back at what went wrong? The goals were not achieved. You review and develop plans to correct the failure.

A couple weeks after the season why did they not get out in front of this. Call Baker in and tell him they are going to look around.

They should have known that given Watson and the Texans. Their chances to have the Texans trade within the conference and Watson to agree to come to Cleveland while looking at other warm weather teams (they knew Carolina was all in) (they knew the Saints could be a player) That they were a dark horse at best.

Before they prepared an offer. They should have had Baker under control. Then someone leaks out to Chris Mortenson "they want an adult."
For crying out loud have control of your organization.

What is wrong with these people? Now they are in a twitter war with Baker? Really?

Baker needs to know. It is a privilage to be a starter in the NFL. But if your results are not at a pro bowl level. The team will look to upgrade. Life in the NFL. Hello. Baker you are not helping your value to another team by going public about how you feel.

This was poorly planned and executed worse.

Well we all know you can be a billionaire Businessman and be a complete idiot who does everything wrong.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
" Berry, Depo, Stefanski highly educated " Not always translate into intelligent guys. And throwing money at a ton money at a situation is not always the answer.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Haslam does not make those types of decisions.

waterdawg #1932431 03/18/22 07:02 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by waterdawg
" Berry, Depo, Stefanski highly educated " Not always translate into intelligent guys. And throwing money at a ton money at a situation is not always the answer.

But as I said in another thread, we aren't happy to stand pat as other teams improve. I don't think many would question that Watson is a better QB than Baker. Any displeasure in going after Watson wasn't his ability, it was any potential baggage that might come with him.

The goal here wasn't to throw money around. It was to vastly improve the QB play. If we ever get to a point where we don't seek to improve because it might pucker the butt of some player on our team, we need a new owner and front office group.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
bonefish #1932442 03/18/22 08:12 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Looking for upgrades at any position is not the issue. How you do it is the issue. If the Browns felt like they needed to move on from Baker, then man up and tell the man. Making a major play for Watson and losing out is part of the game. Telling your current starting QB that we lost out so were settling with you until something else better comes along is not going to help build the relationship. Putting together a trade package that had to be accepted by Houston before you were allowed to speak to Watson for approval is not investigating an upgrade, the Browns were ready to replace Mayfield. The Browns and fans for that part, are not appreciative of what Baker has done or what he's endured to get to this point. I'm ok with that, but crying foul now because the guy wants out from a situation where it's quite evident he's not wanted is quite hypocritical. There was no less than 10 teams looking to upgrade at QB this season. Now that scraps are left the Browns want to commit to Mayfield - unless?

There's more at play here than just ridding themselves of the Baker Mayfield. Why didn't a Wilson want to come to Cleveland? Why didn't Watson want to come here? If Jimmy G is such a hot commodity, why hasn't there been any offers to trade for him? Why are the Browns refusing Baker's request after they've shown the entire NFL that they don't want him? Why do you think that there's no top tier free agent WR, DT, DE, or LB looking at Cleveland as a landing spot?

Out of the top 70 FA's available - the Browns have signed zero players. Seven of those players were WR and only OBJ, Patterson, Valdes-Scantling, and Smith-Schuster are left as possible upgrades for Landry. At DT, four of those guys were in the top 75 and only 32-year old Hicks remains to upgrade at the DT position that was extremely weak in 2021. DE/Edge - nine players were available in the top 70 FA's and only three are still available - Clowney, Barnett, and Ingram. 20 of the top 70 Free Agents available and the Browns get zero thus far. If the Browns are always looking to upgrade every position, when is it going to happen because with 6-7 open starting positions they have only addressed 1. The likelyhood of getting upgrades at those positions now is very slim.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
steve0255 #1932448 03/18/22 08:38 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
If the Browns felt like they needed to move on from Baker, then man up and tell the man.

They did.

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: oobernoober
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Yes it was reported that they told him at the Combine.

What is unknown is who told him and what was said?

It was apparently not done correctly. He is an employee.

You explain your intentions and why. Then you tell him how he is expected to handle it and why. The why is for his own benefit.

If that took place. Then his reaction to request a trade is all on him and refelcts his poor judgement.

Ballpeen #1932496 03/18/22 10:04 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm afraid I wasn't clear in my last post regarding money . I was referring to posters who talk about the amount of $$ that Haslam spends on player Aqisitions , IE payroll . Haslam is not cheap , just an owner meddler and a lousy Football decision maker.

bonefish #1932628 03/18/22 01:07 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

People still defending an incompetent owner and blaming the one he crapped on. People claiming you should believe one PR statement from the FO while you shouldn't believe the other one.

People blaming the player because he's a "millionaire" while making excuses for a billionaire. It appears they don't think Baker's a grown up. I'm sure that would be an endearing thing for any player to embrace.

They created this entire situation. Maybe it's time you expect the same accountability on the part of a billionaire owner as you do Baker. Nah, that will never happen.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
bonefish #1932642 03/18/22 01:30 PM
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
What a bunch of crybabies this board has become. Not a word about Haslam since Berry was hired and the team started doing good. Now they try to sign a legitimate franchise QB, and they are numbskulls. I love that nobody believes reports that they told Baker and his agents, yet Baker has never said they didn't. The situation was "created", because the QB stunk the place up. Yes he was hurt, and yes I do think it had a lot to do with it, but him being unable to read defenses had nothing to do with his injury. The fans want a super bowl, but bash the FO for trying to sign players that could make it happen. If you want a superbowl team, you got to try any means to get the players for it. I'm sure when Baker didn't get an extension, he was aware of where he stood with the organization. As it stands now, he is the starting QB still. He has two choices, play well and get either an extension, or tell the Browns to pound salt. Or play the woe is me victim who had his feelings hurt, and show no desire to use the situation to get where he wants to go. Haslam owns the team, therefore, it is HIS team, not ours. We are fans of the team, but beyond that what we say doesn't matter in the end. For all the people belittling Haslam and bashing the FO, there is no reason for you to keep following this team. If it sucks so bad, move on to one of the teams you feel are being run properly, and believes in your moral code. I'm sticking with the team I have cheered for, for close to 60 years. I could care less who got their feelings hurt, this is a business employing professional athletes. If these athletes don't know how it works by now, I ain't feeling sorry for them.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
1 member likes this: PastorMarc
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted by Steubenvillian
I could care less who got their feelings hurt, this is a business employing professional athletes. If these athletes don't know how it works by now, I ain't feeling sorry for them.

This.

P
Legend
Legend
P
You mean a QB who told his team he wanted to be traded because he didn't get to help pick his new HC? Sounds like you're the one who advocated being a crybaby on board.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
AZBrown #1932654 03/18/22 01:45 PM
F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted by AZBrown
I could care less who got their feelings hurt, this is a business employing professional athletes. If these athletes don't know how it works by now, I ain't feeling sorry for them.

This.

Yes, it is a business, one where reputation and public image mean a lot amongst potential employees(players). This looks like a a disorganized franchise, which is going to make potential FAs shy away or ask for more to put up with it, if they have other choices available.

All will be forgiven if they come out and win, but I find it hard to believe this doesn't set them back a year or more now.

Mistakes made on all sides.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Originally Posted by FloridaFan
Originally Posted by AZBrown

This.

Yes, it is a business, one where reputation and public image mean a lot amongst potential employees(players). This looks like a a disorganized franchise, which is going to make potential FAs shy away or ask for more to put up with it, if they have other choices available.

All will be forgiven if they come out and win, but I find it hard to believe this doesn't set them back a year or more now.

Mistakes made on all sides.

We will never win a SB with Haslam calling the shots like he does. He is an idiot.

pfm1963 #1933123 03/18/22 08:55 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
But he is willing to spend money, and now he has a QB.

As long as we're winning, he shouldn't feel the need to step in.

We've had worse owners.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Bull_Dawg #1933126 03/18/22 08:57 PM
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
But he is willing to spend money, and now he has a QB.

As long as we're winning, he shouldn't feel the need to step in.

We've had worse owners.

He is a Daniel Snyder wannabe.

bonefish #1933142 03/18/22 09:39 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Haslam just went all in on Watson.

Watson gives the Browns a five year shot at winning the Super Bowl.

People will question the complete price. How people view it will be up to each individual.

For the next five years we will get to know Deshaun Watson. This will be Haslam's legacy.

bonefish #1933144 03/18/22 09:58 PM
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Haslam just went all in on Watson.

People will question the complete price. How people view it will be up to each individual.

For the next five years we will get to know Deshaun Watson. This will be Haslam's legacy.

We need LOT more than Watson to win a SB. Need major upgrades on the DL, LB , Special Teams and who knows what else.

bonefish #1933147 03/18/22 10:02 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
[quote=bonefish]Haslam just went all in on Watson.

[/quote

Haslam, Berry, Stefanski, and the team had to make this move. They had be aggressive. The Browns have not won a Division Title since 1989. Not hosted a home playoff game since 1993. Never been to a Super Bowl. It is time for this team to win. Time to change who they are They have long been seen as a ugly step child to the Steelrs and Ravens, Heck, the Bengals were about to pass them by and join the normal top teams in the division. They are no longer the lovable losers. They now have a winning attitude and it starts when the FO gets aggressive and makes bold moves to vault the team to top contender.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted by SuperBrown
[Linked Image from waitingfornextyear.com]

Just had to quote this so the picture shows up in the thread again. If I could I'd have this as my signature.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
1 member likes this: SuperBrown
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Nah…. I would love to get the Baby Trump balloon to a Cleveland home game.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

pfm1963 #1933193 03/19/22 06:11 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
The Browns are a legit contender for a Super Bowl.

We have linebackers in JOK, Walker, Taki, Phillips.

We have Myles. We may still sign Clowney. We have plenty of draft picks.

They will address special teams. Interior DL is not hard to fill with players who are good enough.

We have a great secondary.

The Browns are built to win now and will be for awhile.

Watson on the field gives them the ability to compete with any team.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
bonefish #1933201 03/19/22 07:35 AM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Chief Strategy Officer? How can you have a Chief Strategy Officer, when the only thing that could be argued is a strategy, Constantly Changes.

brownie

Analytics had enough yet?? Yes!

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
bonefish #1933210 03/19/22 08:55 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
The Browns still have 5 picks in the first 118 selections. And that could increase with a Baker trade.

Tackles are tackles.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
The Browns still have 5 picks in the first 118 selections. And that could increase with a Baker trade.

For that reason I think I would push for some conditional pick to be paid next draft.. To me, Watson IS this years 1st round pick, so to me it isn't costing us anything yet. Maybe we don't even get a pick this year and just go for a higher pick/picks next year. I admit I don't know how to value the situation, so I won't speculate on what that might, could or should be.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #1933218 03/19/22 09:18 AM
T
Legend
Legend
T
First of all, I say this with Love, and a tiny bit of humor.

There were some Saturday Morning cartoons on, and here is Yosemite Sam, and he's telling the camel to whoa,
and he says whoa, whoa! and then he says, " When I say Whoa, I mean whoa and he hits the camel over the head with a riffle.

then he says, Giddyup Camel, (it doesn't) he says Giddyup!! and he says, when I say Giddyup! I mean giddyup and he hits the camel in the backside with the riffle and the camel goes away before he can climb on, and he says, Whoa! camel, whoa.

( it didn't click yet.) ... Yosemite Sam and the camel get to the castle door, that bugs bunny is inside of, and he stands in front of the door, and Screams!! Open this Door! Open this door! and then the draw bridge type door opens right down on top of his head and smashes him into the ground!!!

And a muffled Yosemite sam voice is saying "close it! close it! close it!!" .... And that's when it hit me,

I think Jimmy Haslam has a tiny bit of Yosemite Sam in him. rofl

The cartoon ends, ended, near the end of it, Bugs Bunny had put up a plethora of doors, and a pile of dynamite stacked against the last one, on the inside of the castle.

Then Bugs Bunny is outside the castle and says " I wonder if he's stubborn enough to open all those doors?"
Then theres's a huge explosion at the distant castle, and Bugs Bunny says "Yep"

Last edited by THROW LONG; 03/19/22 09:26 AM. Reason: spelling?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
bonefish #1933250 03/19/22 10:56 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

Winning at any price is not a positive thing.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1933292 03/19/22 11:59 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
It did cost in picks, but worth it IMO.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
bonefish #1933294 03/19/22 12:03 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Given Haslam's crooked history, no one should be surprised by this move.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Jimmy Haslam

Link Copied to Clipboard