Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#1933702 03/20/22 09:01 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
The last two years what we have called the Stefanski offense is about to change.

After Baker's injury the offense changed. KS tried to adapt to Baker's injury. The roll outs to the left off play action ended. You can not throw that pass in a brace.

Watson and Cooper will change the offensive concepts. Hooper being removed and Watson as qb will change the way Njoku will be used.

The final receiving room is still to be determined. Jarvis may return. We might sign Will Fuller. The draft will be more of guys we will develop.

The OL is set. The backfield: Watson, Chubb, Hunt, D'ernest, Cooper, (veteran guy), DPJ, Schwartz, Bradley, Grant, rookie. TE Njoku, Bryant.

IMO we will not be using much two TE sets. We will see more 11 personnel.

The playbook will open up more. We will still be a running team but Watson can play from the pocket. Third and ten will no longer be death.

Defenses will have to play us way different. Watson can kill you with his legs.

As the season moves along KS will see how defenses will adjust to the new look Browns. Old Browns game plans will have to be revamped.

We will learn a lot about KS and AVP.

bonefish #1933706 03/20/22 09:08 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Bone - man I hope so. But I am certainly not sure.

But in Minnesota didn't Stefanski have better weapons than the Browns have had - and didn't they get completely under utilized? Isn't this one of the foundation blocks of Steve's narrative about Stefanski and Diggs and elite WR's choosing to come to the Browns if Stefanski is running the offense?

My gut says that Stefanski won't get the most out of a top 5 QB if that is indeed what Watson is - I'll hold judgement till I see him play for half a season - my gut says you don't need an elite QB to play Stefanski's offense and I doubt there will be that much of a change. I hope I am wrong.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
mgh888 #1933712 03/20/22 09:22 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The thing is, no matter how "good"/run heavy an offense is, there are going to be times that elite QB play comes in handy.

Look at the Ravens when they were rolling. That offense was eating teams up on the ground. There still came a point when Lamar missing throws bit them.

I think our success on third and fourth downs should improve because of the Watson scramble/create when things breakdown factor. Cutting down on 3 and outs would be great.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
bonefish #1933715 03/20/22 09:24 AM
All Pro
All Pro
From my perspective Stefanski’s play calling is our weak link. Whatever the statistics says the end result isn’t good enough. On top of that is his handling of Baker. To throw a injured QB under the bus against the Steelers is unforgivable. I would say deliberately evil, that’s not a good sign for a someone trying to become a elite HC.

I think in another year or two and our GM will search for alternatives. (“Every position will be upgraded if possible” or whatever he just said about our QB position…)

Ski has not so far showed that he’s a natural born winner and I don’t see the potential either.

Bull_Dawg #1933721 03/20/22 09:43 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Better QB always elevates a team. And by every statistical measure Watson is a significant upgrade. (Again, I'll wait for the proof in a Browns jersey watching on Sunday)

The issue is whether we maximize the return from or even need a top 5 QB in this offense. At the cost of $46M per year and three 1st round picks - a merely "Good" QB and keeping those assets might easily be a surer path to sustained success. I don't know... But it's a consideration.... Allegedly Stefanski had 3 receivers open on more plays than any other team. A stat used to crucify Baker and his harness play last year... if true, do we need a top 5 QB to hit one of the 3 receivers? Or just a much better QB than Baker was in 2021?

It's going to be an interesting ride finding out how and what KS does. Watson, Amari, Chubb/Hunt and the OL we in theory have ... should be no reason not to score a lot.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Floquinho #1933723 03/20/22 09:47 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I disagree.

IMO Stefanski is a bright young head coach.

His role wilth the Vikings is in the past. He was not the head coach there.

He is smart enough to know what all coaches are taught. Use your players.

Baker and Watson are way different. The offense with the personnel changes made will be different.

Stefanski is a pragmatist. As coaches gain experience; the good ones change and adapt.

"Natural born winner." You can not label a head coach after two years.

His first year he won a playoff game with not a great team. He was also "voted" head coach of the year.
Last year his hands were tied to a broken quarterback. Covid was no easy task to manipulate for the last years as well.

So I don't agree with your assessment.

mgh888 #1933725 03/20/22 10:16 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Stefanski in Minnesota was a different place and time.

Nothing stays the same. We can not say what real power Stefanski had with the Vikings. He was not the head coach.

No matter who you are when you do something over again; you get better at it. You can master a skill as you work it more.

We have to keep in mind we all change as we gain experience.

IMO the combination of Berry and Stefanski will be a wiining combination.

Berry has shown with Depo how you can manage cap space. He didn't cut Keenum. He traded him. A 7th rounder could get us a kicker.

The Watson deal was a steal. We didn't lose additional players. That is important. We have the talent to win now.

When the draft is over and the roster close to set. The Browns and Bills will have the best rosters in football.

This whole notion about Stefanski, his offense, play caller, etc. is IMO an oversimplification.

First play calling is over estimated. I have heard about play calling for fifty years. Everyone thinks they know what play to call. Just like baseball fans think they know what pitch to call. BS. Bruce Arians was damn near thown out the door by fans when he was the Browns OC.

If fans had a shread of the information at hand compared to a NFL playcaller. What you would see is "delay of game."

bonefish #1933731 03/20/22 10:37 AM
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted by bonefish
I disagree.

IMO Stefanski is a bright young head coach.

His role wilth the Vikings is in the past. He was not the head coach there.

He is smart enough to know what all coaches are taught. Use your players.

Baker and Watson are way different. The offense with the personnel changes made will be different.

Stefanski is a pragmatist. As coaches gain experience; the good ones change and adapt.

"Natural born winner." You can not label a head coach after two years.

His first year he won a playoff game with not a great team. He was also "voted" head coach of the year.
Last year his hands were tied to a broken quarterback. Covid was no easy task to manipulate for the last years as well.

So I don't agree with your assessment.

I don’t say you’re wrong but how do we know he’s “bright” and “smart enough”. Any evidence?
You say he’s a pragmatist and the good one change and adapt. What’s correlation between that statement and Stefanski? Something special you have seen?

Won a play off game with not a great team? I’m sorry because I read on multiple places the opposite that our team was full of talent that season.
You said “his hands were tied to a broke QB”. Ok so that mean you accept that Baker wasn’t 100% fully healthy. Good to know because if I listen t Quincy and Shannon Sharpe there is no excuses if you’re on the field but hey why hold Stefanski accountable when Baker didn’t have that luxury.
Regarding Covid all teams dealed with that, not only the Browns.

Coach of the year means nothing if you don’t win anything. Maybe the NFL wanted the Browns to have something to celebrate, just saying…

Whatever we bring up the result don’t have feelings or is biased. So going by the result the team stagnate between 2020 and 2021 with Ski in charge. Fact. Not to mention how he handled OBJ and Baker.

Floquinho #1933733 03/20/22 10:49 AM
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
"Coach of the year means nothing if you don’t win anything. Maybe the NFL wanted the Browns to have something to celebrate, just saying…"

This statement is absurd. He coached a team to the playoffs with no offseason, many players missing in multiple games, and had his team so prepared, that they won with him not even on the sidelines. Last season he struggled, but the season before he was fantastic.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted by Steubenvillian
"Coach of the year means nothing if you don’t win anything. Maybe the NFL wanted the Browns to have something to celebrate, just saying…"

This statement is absurd. He coached a team to the playoffs with no offseason, many players missing in multiple games, and had his team so prepared, that they won with him not even on the sidelines. Last season he struggled, but the season before he was fantastic.
Sorry but I think that’s not true. If you’re labeled fantastic you probably win the SB, not just one play off game. Just saying.

And btw the team that won the SB also started their season with similar preparations as the Browns.

Floquinho #1933744 03/20/22 11:39 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Floquinho
From my perspective Stefanski’s play calling is our weak link. Whatever the statistics says the end result isn’t good enough. On top of that is his handling of Baker. To throw a injured QB under the bus against the Steelers is unforgivable. I would say deliberately evil, that’s not a good sign for a someone trying to become a elite HC.

I think in another year or two and our GM will search for alternatives. (“Every position will be upgraded if possible” or whatever he just said about our QB position…)

Ski has not so far showed that he’s a natural born winner and I don’t see the potential either.

So 11-5 with a healthy Baker doesn't sound like a winner to you? Or are you trying to say almost playing .500 with a QB that has a torn labrum in his shoulder makes you think he's a loser?

One thing we will find out for sure though. If analytics actually play a part in things, the statistics of the players on the field make a difference in your approach to the offense. If you have WR's with better catch rates and a QB with a higher completion percentage, that dictates you will throw the ball more.

But what it doesn't and won't dictate is that you abandon your run game when you have one of the best RB tandems in the league and a highly ranked OL to block for them.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Floquinho #1933763 03/20/22 12:28 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Evidence of bright and smart. He was hired. Do the math of how many jobs in the NFL there are. There are 32 NFL teams.
On average maybe six head coach jobs a year open. Think about that level of competition to become a head coach in the NFL.

I don't know what you think of Berry or Haslam. Around the league Berry is considered by the people who cover the NFL a very good GM.
He did become the youngest GM (and Black). You don't get to be that without the resume and references to do so.
They hired Stefanski.

Outside of tenured head coaches who have held jobs in the NFL for any length of time quantifying smart or bright enough is to a degree subjective.
Objectively, most of those who cover the NFL describe him that way.

The 2020 Browns team was not that good. They beat a weak Steeler team that was out of gas. Nobody picked the Browns to beat the Chiefs. It was amazing that they kept it close. Mahomes was injured. KC was the better team. Do a honest comparison. KC is 50-13 with Mahomes. Please.

How many first time head coaches were faced with Covid their first two years?

Baker was medically cleared to play. He wanted to play. Keenum versus an injured Baker. Neither one was an answer.

Just saying what?

The National Football League Coach of the Year Award is presented annually by various news and sports organizations to the National Football League (NFL) head coach who has done the most outstanding job of working with the talent he has at his disposal.

The 2021 season. If you really believe injuries (which are random) have no bearing on a season? Check and see what happens to teams who lose their starting quarterback and other key starters.

OBJ and Baker. Let's begin when it began. Both players were brought in by the previous GM.
Look at the injury history of OBJ. It did not change when he came to Cleveland. He missed lots of games.

Track OBJ's career and how he left the Giants. So however you wish to believe the OBJ/father video came to being? Do you believe that was KS fault?
It was Berry's call to rid the team of OBJ.
Stefanski does not play on the field. Who was open and not thrown to? If a play is called and the play is there to be made. And the result is an incompletion is the head coach at fault?

Does Stefanski have authority over who is on the roster?

If the Baker OBJ chemistry never developed. It has to do with the players involved.

bonefish #1933774 03/20/22 12:59 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The last two years what we have called the Stefanski offense is about to change.

After Baker's injury the offense changed. KS tried to adapt to Baker's injury. The roll outs to the left off play action ended. You can not throw that pass in a brace.

Watson and Cooper will change the offensive concepts. Hooper being removed and Watson as qb will change the way Njoku will be used.

The final receiving room is still to be determined. Jarvis may return. We might sign Will Fuller. The draft will be more of guys we will develop.

The OL is set. The backfield: Watson, Chubb, Hunt, D'ernest, Cooper, (veteran guy), DPJ, Schwartz, Bradley, Grant, rookie. TE Njoku, Bryant.

IMO we will not be using much two TE sets. We will see more 11 personnel.

The playbook will open up more. We will still be a running team but Watson can play from the pocket. Third and ten will no longer be death.

Defenses will have to play us way different. Watson can kill you with his legs.

As the season moves along KS will see how defenses will adjust to the new look Browns. Old Browns game plans will have to be revamped.

We will learn a lot about KS and AVP.

Watson played from the shotgun (...option/rpo/naked [Hunt]; with vertical speed [Fuller?]/crossing [Hopkins = Cooper] route concepts in Houston) ... so something will need to give in terms of their/our offensive philosophy ... if we plan on playing to [our] players strengths.

[Linked Image]

FL_Dawg #1933781 03/20/22 01:15 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
You are right.

Watson is not scheme dependent. Baker's roll outs were put in to give him vision clarity.

In addition Baker can throw well on the run so it was effective until his shoulder injury.

Watson can work from any formation. He is capable in the pocket to find the open guy. He is mobile enough to create from broken plays.

What some were calling the "Stefanski offense" was actually created for Baker.

Watson will allow the offense to be more multiple.

bonefish #1933834 03/20/22 02:40 PM
Legend
Legend
one thing i would like to know is whether or not stefanski took the audible away from Baker. did he? and if he did, will Watson have the ability to audible out of plays?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1933856 03/20/22 03:24 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I can not say for sure.

What I would say was Baker had options off pre-snap reads.

I heard him kill at the line. My guess was: "if you see this - go to this."

Baker knew when he saw press man and single coverage. Off man can be mixed with zones but not always.

Again there are indicators where the safety's are lined up as well.

Could Baker go from run to pass? I don't know.

Watson initially will probably work off scripted plays. The first series probably not.

Once KS feels like Watson knows the offense. And, KS sees in practice the chemistry with receivers.

Then over time yes Watson will IMO have more freedom.

This is the beginning of a long term relationship. I believe KS believes in his players. He knows from practices how players play.

An example is a player like JOK. It did not take long for the coaches to learn what this guy is about. He is one guy who will grow into a captain position.

It becomes about trust. Once a coach sees how players respond to situations the more he will give them the lead.

bonefish #1933860 03/20/22 03:32 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You are right.

Watson is not scheme dependent. Baker's roll outs were put in to give him vision clarity.

What some were calling the "Stefanski offense" was actually created for Baker.

I'm guessing that Watson will need the same support since he is 1" taller than baker?

The stefasnki offense was created in Minnesota and he brought most of that over to CLE.
https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/brown...iciaries-on-offense-with-kevin-stefanski

While new Cleveland Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski wasn't willing to go into much detail on what he will do offensively, he did say the scheme he ran as an offensive coordinator this past season with the Minnesota Vikings would be a starting point. Beyond that, he wants to be multiple and aggressive. Based on what Stefanski did this past year with the Vikings, there are a number of players that stand to benefit

What that means for Mayfield is utilizing a substantial amount of playaction, where he's already experienced significant success, but more movement before the throw. Fakes off of stretches, bootlegs and naked rollouts. Not only does it change the amount of field Mayfield has to work, but it changes the angles defenses have to deal with, which makes the offense less predictable and more difficult to defend.

https://www.audacy.com/923thefan/sp...ld-be-a-great-fit-for-stefanskis-offense

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
IMO what KS did or did not do with the Viking is no longer relevant.

He will use some of the concepts in particular the zone blocking scheme.

Our OL and the run game will probably not change much if at all.

The pass game will change.

However, until more time passes and we begin to see practices and finally games.

It is to early to determine much.

Swish #1933898 03/20/22 05:31 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Swish
one thing i would like to know is whether or not stefanski took the audible away from Baker. did he? and if he did, will Watson have the ability to audible out of plays?
That was one of my biggest questions last year.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
PitDAWG #1933922 03/20/22 07:18 PM
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
The FO KNOWS what they had with BM, he got mad because they went after better QB AFTER they told him. OBJ hasn't said anything nice about Baker, somehow he was pretty good with Rams. JMHO, the FO wasn't happy with BM NOT talking to press after his crap game in Detroit....about as adult as his video running for cops when drunk. I'm glad he's history, he had ONE good season and he doesn't see the field as top QBs do.....football wise, Watson is HUGE update. And, millionaires are always hunted by women....especially single ones....Go Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Floquinho #1933979 03/21/22 06:45 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
My recollection is that criticisms of KS's playcalling always existed in the background, but really took off when his roster was SEVERLY limited by injuries. Starting 4th and 5th tackles, QB limited, WRs in and out of the lineup, etc.

Long story short, I wanted to give Baker another healthy year to make a decision on what he is (obviously can't do that anymore), but I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't give KS the same benefit of the doubt. There are arguments that can be made that his playcalling was NOT issue #1 last year (open receiver metric, overall pass rush win rate despite injuries, ypc, etc).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
i think the biggest criticism i had with KS was the rhythm of the play calling. i still believe he didn't give the QB nor the RB/O line a consistent chance to get into the rhythm of the game.

how many times did we see chubb/hunt/D'Ernest get a 4-5-6 yard gain back to back, only for KS to call 3-4 passing plays straight? i remember times where our rushing attack would get a 1st down back to back, only for KS to call 3 straight passing plays, and now we're punting.

don't get me started on the 4th down atrocities. i dont have a problem going for it on 4th down, but once we failed to convert, take the points, and then maybe go for another 4th down later on. he rarely did that.

another was the lack of emphasis on TE chips. too many times our RT was left on an island. and Njoku specifically has gotten Kizer and Baker completely destroyed due to not even chip blocking a guy before running a route.

Watson has better touch on the ball, so that alone should lower (not eliminate) the drops, and he's more accurate. however, Watson does like to hold the ball too long because of his athleticism, so Stefanski gotta drill into him to get the ball out faster. Watson isn't afraid of the check down pass, so that should also help with efficiency. if we're gonna keep running 3 TE sets (who's the 3rd? someone in the draft?) then i need more creative formations from KS.

another thing a lot of us brought up last season was the fact that we would be a run heavy team, but KS would call passing plays that didn't extend down the field. you can't be run heavy AND throw it short. and i dont think we currently have the WRs to rely on YAC, especially if we get will fuller. i really hope we can bring back landry, because talk about a security blanket for Watson.

and for the love of god, stop baby sitting nick chubb. i'm tired of seeing him on the sidelines, especially when we need him on the field at crucial junctures.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
bonefish #1934072 03/21/22 12:10 PM
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
A little more that same article:

Watson told Stefanski he wanted to be coached hard, that he’ll never get offended by coaching. He asked Stefanski if he saw anything Watson could work on, and Stefanski rattled off a list of a few items, including doing a better job of carrying out his fakes. Watson laughed and said Stefanski sounded like Watson’s 10th-grade coach, who always got on him for that kind of thing.

FATE #1934084 03/21/22 12:39 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by FATE

One would hope with a torn labrum both Baker and Stefanski had enough common sense to agree on that.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Swish #1934092 03/21/22 01:00 PM
Legend
Legend
and for the love of god, stop baby sitting nick chubb. i'm tired of seeing him on the sidelines, especially when we need him on the field at crucial junctures.
One of my criticisms.. how many times in the last couple years did players really have breakout games? Cubb had a few games in the last couple years with a lot of yards but it was because he broke long runs, not because they fed him the ball more when it was working.... Same with receivers, we have had very few 100+ yard games by receivers in the last 2 years, their targets and catches stay fairly constant...

We never seem to feed the hot hand and just go with it until they stop it. There have been times where Hunt seemed to be feeling it more than Chubb, if that's the case, let Hunt go with it... but one of them is obviously feeling it more but the sheet says it's the other ones turn, so make the change... I don't understand it.

yebat' Putin
PitDAWG #1934182 03/21/22 03:22 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

One would hope with a torn labrum both Baker and Stefanski had enough common sense to agree on that.
You would think. I don't have a per game play by play, but I remember watching stretches of games wondering why Baker never did. I also remember plenty of times he checked out of a play and the results were not good... couldn't really speak to whether that was Baker not "seeing the defense" or us being so terribly predictable.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #1934373 03/22/22 12:08 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
You would think. I don't have a per game play by play, but I remember watching stretches of games wondering why Baker never did. I also remember plenty of times he checked out of a play and the results were not good...

I think one could say that about almost any situation. Often times running plays will only go for one or two yards. When a QB passes the ball long the percentage of completions goes down by a large margin. I think in both of those cases you could describe that as "not good". But yet they are still plays used in the NFL on a regular basis. I can't think of any plays ran in the NFL where often times the results are "not good".

couldn't really speak to whether that was Baker not "seeing the defense" or us being so terribly predictable.

Or it could be none of the above. I too considered and spoke about how many open WR's we had after Baker's injury. It was my thought at the time he just couldn't see the open WR's. Yet when looking at the last half of 2020 and his first two games of 2021 while still healthy he was very productive. So while it may be right or wrong, it seems that the injury was just as much in his head as it was in his shoulder. Because I certainly didn't see that pre injury.

As far as being predictable I think there is some justification for people saying that. But you see, when you have a QB playing with a torn labrum as Baker was, the defense knows you're limited in what plays you can run. The defense doesn't have to account for designed roll outs or audibles where the QB has the option to run unless it's to scramble away from pressure. The the injury itself makes your O more predictable in and of itself.

For me the biggest question is why they were playing an injured Baker over a healthy Keenum? Maybe we have a little insight into that due to the team signing Brissett. I really don't have an answer for that one.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1934394 03/22/22 01:08 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
As far as being predictable I think there is some justification for people saying that. But you see, when you have a QB playing with a torn labrum as Baker was, the defense knows you're limited in what plays you can run. The defense doesn't have to account for designed roll outs or audibles where the QB has the option to run unless it's to scramble away from pressure. The the injury itself makes your O more predictable in and of itself.

As far as predictability goes... IMO it was more all the non-QB injuries that really hamstrung Stefanski. Our decimated Oline (in an offense where the critical part is dominance in the trenches) was really how our offense was knee-capped.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
There were certainly a lot more circumstances to consider, I agree.

#gmstrong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Sweet, I love the FACTS- Watson more mobile, he's more accurate, he's a PROVEN NFL All-Pro. We paid a hell of a price, but we now have the missing piece to a real playoff run.....IF we stay healthy....GO Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
hitt #1934497 03/22/22 05:11 PM
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted by hitt
Sweet, I love the FACTS- Watson more mobile, he's more accurate, he's a PROVEN NFL All-Pro. We paid a hell of a price, but we now have the missing piece to a real playoff run.....IF we stay healthy....GO Browns!!!

At $230 million guaranteed over 5 years, DW BETTER be good. I keep hearing how great his is. He'd better be.

I root for the Browns. But I read all this "he's such an upgrade......" stuff. Maybe so. If he tears a labrum, and isn't accurate, or if other players get injured, or if, if if.

I'm, based on DW lovers, expecting several Super Bowl appearances, and wins in the next 5 years. Is that fair?

I ask mainly because after every draft and free agency, we get the "we're unstoppable" crap. I've grown tired of hopes and expectations. Do it.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
I ask mainly because after every draft and free agency, we get the "we're unstoppable" crap. I've grown tired of hopes and expectations. Do it.

I agree. Every season we think we are going to the Superbowl and then something happens that derails us. I'm not getting on the hype train this year.

No Craps Given
EveDawg #1934516 03/22/22 05:58 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
This is March and there are tv shows and radio all over the place talking football.

What are they going to talk about? Combine, free agency, draft, trades. Silly crap like power rankings. What teams are Super Bowl contenders.

So, fans will have expectations. Player movement gives bad teams hope.

Last year the Browns were a "dark horse" to win the Bowl.

Where were the Bengals in the power rankings?

Last year I was all over chest pounding about how good the roster was. I had the highest expectations I have had since 1987.

Having a great roster does not always equal results. We found that out.

"Just do it." Sure that is what we all want. The NFL is full of talent. Lots of great players. But over a season lots of things happen.

Often bad things. Nobody can factor injuries. Because we all know they will happen. But we don't know to who.

We will have a really good roster when the draft is over. How healthy that roster remains and how well they play together will determine the final results

bonefish #1934520 03/22/22 06:06 PM
A
Legend
Legend
A
Like I said, I'll be excited if/when they DO it. Until then, not so much. I'm tired of hopes and expectations.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Agree, do it. BUT, Baker was always just scratching his VAST potential- DW is an established star, he's flat out good/great- that's before playing with good/great Oline and super backs......we don't know the injury future, but he's vastly better than Baker and we paid a HUGE price....GO Browns!!!

hitt #1934534 03/22/22 06:33 PM
A
Legend
Legend
A
Then I expect Super Bowl next year. Anything less is a failure. Right?

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
Then I expect Super Bowl next year. Anything less is a failure. Right?

I think you are going a little overboard. One thing Watson did do though, was have a great season on a very bad team. Even though they only won 4 games, he had very impressive numbers. As for our team last year, early in the season it was the defense that cost us some games, later in the season, it was the offense. Watson could come in here and ball out, but if the defense is giving up long drives quickly, as they have done many times recently, when we take the lead, is that going to be on Watson? Baker put us ahead a few times, only to have the defense give up an easy score late in the game.

I wouldn't put a lot of our losses on Baker only, yet, I definitely would put some of them on him. If Watson comes in here and throws picks on crucial drives, then, yes your expectations would be valid. But, if the guy plays as good as he has thus far in his career and is at a high level, and the defense crumbles, as it has many times in the past, I don't think it is fair to claim it was a bad move.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
A
Legend
Legend
A
My expectations are DW is going to carry the team. You know, how we were told Baker couldn't.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
If you believe that somehow you can pencil in a Super Bowl winner at this stage.

Good luck with that.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum The Offense

Link Copied to Clipboard