Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Legend
Legend
bro miss me with all of that. im tired of you bringing my daughters into this. i got nothing else to say to you right now.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
And let me make a prediction about that. The Browns structured his contract in a way that will only cost Watson over 55k per game. Circumventing the monetary portion that the NFL considers a big part of a suspension. As such the NFL will most likely make his suspension even longer. Browns fans will whine and complain that they're picking on the browns rather than admit it was the Browns that caused it. The Browns in this case put a target on their own back and it will be themselves to blame.

If Watson is suspended, the length will not have anything to do with the perceived ethics of the way the Browns structured his contract. Berry has a track record of structuring contracts this way (as do many others around the NFL).

P
Legend
Legend
P
So you think the fact that the Browns structured Watson's contract in a way that takes away almost all of the financial ramifications of a suspension wasn't a part of the plan? Watson didn't see that as circumventing paying any major financial penalty? Or that the NFL won't see it that way too? I think you're fooling yourself.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Jason Lloyd of The Athletic is on the radio for the next 5 hours talking about the Browns months long research into Watson and Mayfield. It's extremely interesting, FYI, for people who might want to listen.

https://www.audacy.com/923thefan

Tackles are tackles.
3 members like this: DeisleDawg, LexDawg, mgh888
O
All Pro
All Pro
O
It's taken me awhile to try to wrap my head around this, but I'll try to put my thoughts out here now.

I wasn't happy when I saw the Browns had made the trade. I knew at that time, at a minimum, that DW was a creep, based the fact the he had reached out to numerous women for massages and ended up having sex with some of them, consensual or not. That fact alone doesn't line up with my moral standards; however, I'm sure many players today don't agree with my moral standards, and that's ok.

I don't have all the facts on what happened. Like many other situations in our country recently, I like to wait until all the facts come out. I am surprised that AB and KS went this route, as it seems contrary to everything they have preached so far. My sliver of hope is that they have more information on this situation than what I do, and that is why they brought DW in, because if he is guilty of what he is accused of, I would not want him associated with my team. One mistake I can forgive, but 22 or more mistakes reveal a lack of character and morals.

My other sliver of hope is my memory of when this all started: the timing of it just seemed off, with DW requesting a trade, then like a week later, this hits the news. Seemed like a weird coincidence at the time, and it still is weird to me. Couple that with the plaintiffs' lawyer, his reputation as an ambulance chaser, and his ties to the Texans owner, and it just paints a really murky picture. I don't know what to think of it.

Maybe it's all just wishful thinking on my part. But I'm going to wait until the whole story comes out. I'm just going to have a hard time rooting for DW if this cannot be proven to be false, or we get more info.

1 member likes this: oobernoober
M
Legend
Legend
M
So you think the fact that the Browns structured Watson's contract in a way that takes away almost all of the financial ramifications of a suspension wasn't a part of the plan? Watson didn't see that as circumventing paying any major financial penalty? Or that the NFL won't see it that way too? I think you're fooling yourself.

I have no way to verify that information but if nearly all Berry's big signings followed the same pattern then it absolutely shouldn't be regarded as a special play for DW and an impending suspension ... to think anything else would be wrong.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yes, that doesn't play into Watson's favor at all. At this point let's see what the NFL suspension ends up being. How many games would it take on the part of the NFL for this to hold any validity? Even if this wasn't "on purpose" you don't think the lack of the monetary punishment it hands watson will play into the length of his suspension?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
Jason Lloyd of The Athletic is on the radio for the next 5 hours talking about the Browns months long research into Watson and Mayfield. It's extremely interesting, FYI, for people who might want to listen.

https://www.audacy.com/923thefan

I agree. This has been a very good listen. His article that came out this morning was an excellent read.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Yes, that doesn't play into Watson's favor at all. At this point let's see what the NFL suspension ends up being. How many games would it take on the part of the NFL for this to hold any validity? Even if this wasn't "on purpose" you don't think the lack of the monetary punishment it hands watson will play into the length of his suspension?

I expect a 10-17 game suspension. I think with another team it might have been 6 games ... but because it's Browns I think 10 games minimum.

1 member likes this: OrangeCrush
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

So you think since Berry has a pattern of structuring contracts this way it was just he could lay the ground work to do Watson's contract like this to help him avoid penalty if suspended?

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Really good interview with Sean Payne of KILT 610am in Houston. Speaking with Jason Lloyd and Dustin Fox on 92.3

https://www.audacy.com/923thefan/sp...tefanski-could-take-watson-to-next-level

1 member likes this: GratefulDawg
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
listening to it now, thank you !

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
R
Legend
Legend
R
You see, when the rumors first started about the predator coming here I started looking into it.

Lmao...Ace Ventura baby!

1 member likes this: jfanent
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
2 members like this: OldColdDawg, mgh888
M
Legend
Legend
M
That's awesome.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

One thing Jason Lloyd said today on 92.3 that really stood out was that he has more information than he is allowed to share at this time and if the public knew what he knew and the Browns know, he can see why the Browns were comfortable making this trade.

This was on the heels of the article he reported on in The Athletic today.

I'm sure more will continue to come out.

It was also interesting hearing both Lloyd and guest Seth Payne from KTIL 610 am in HOU discussing that the NFL doesn't punish or necessarily care about civil cases as there is no precedent for the NFL handing out a punishment for a civil case, but only criminal. Both expect Watson to get some sort of suspension regardless of not being indicted on charges. Seth Payne mentioned it order for Watson to have been indicted, at least 9 of the 12 members of the grand jury would have had to determine there was enough evidence to move forward with criminal charges.

Both Lloyd and Payne said the NFL could very well issue a ruling on a Watson before the civil cases have even been finalized/resolved.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Thanks for posting that Milk/Grate.

I read it this afternoon on the Athletic. Very interesting article and confirmed a lot of my initial view points. The great thing is it showed they did their research and how organized the leadership works. I liked that Step took about an hour to break down our film and Watson's film with him. Also, the best part was hearing that the Browns were his first choice , but was so hung up on location.

Now interested in hearing what everyone thinks about the articles instead of pages of law arguments.

O
Legend
Legend
O

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 03/22/22 02:04 AM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Has anyone noticed, it seems No One wants Mayfield. The Colts .. No, The Falcons .. No. The Saints .. No. The Seahawks say .. No atm. The Panthers also say No atm. What do they know that we do not? Is it they prefer an "Adult" at Quarterback as well ?

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Halfback32
Has anyone noticed, it seems No One wants Mayfield. The Colts .. No, The Falcons .. No. The Saints .. No. The Seahawks say .. No atm. The Panthers also say No atm. What do they know that we do not? Is it they prefer an "Adult" at Quarterback as well ?

I wonder if he will announce that he refuses to play for anyone in the NFL?

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: Rishuz
F
Legend
Legend
F

I think it may be the 18 mil and a draft pick to get him, when they know he will get released and only 2 teams left to via for his services. At that point you might as well take the 50/50 shot acquiring him on the open market.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
1 member likes this: mgh888
Legend
Legend
At this point I’d wait for camp/preseason injury bug. You hate to wait for injuries, but they’re going to happen

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
I thought the Rich Eisen clip was very good. Non judgmental - but clearly feels that there has been zero accountability from Watson. About to watch the other clip.

Second clip was better than expected. But not much of a conclusion.

Last edited by mgh888; 03/22/22 09:02 AM.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
It goes back to marketing and Browns have been horrible about it. If you are going to take a ridiculous stance and demand a 1st round pick for Mayfield after allowing the blatant negative leaks from the team while showing your noncommittal to a player that turned your franchise around from being a laughing stock, you have failed the player and your marketing ability to get the best possible return. Considering that Wentz was moved for two 3rd rounders and Ryan for one 3rd round pick, demanding a 1st round pick for a player the team has had a major role in demeaning is disgusting in it's own right. Now, today, the Browns continue their personal destruction of that player by holding firm on their demand adding insult to injury. I'm not going to get into the bs that's going back in forth on the forum about the moral issues or not surrounding the acquisition of Watson. The move has been made and that's just that. Berry, Stefanski, and Haslam don't really give a crap about what I think anyway. However, to either just hurt or destroy the future of a player that gave his all 100% of the time that he was here and try to call it football business - is a scummy move by the team. SFO is demanding two 2nd rounders for Jimmy G - the Browns are demanding a 1st for Mayfield - neither team has had any suitors. I'm not even going to get into what player is better or not, but I know there has to be at least a 100 posts on this forum stating Jimmy G would have been an upgrade over Baker. I will say that those posters have to be some kind of stupid to think that Mayfield is now worthy of a 1st round pick over their choice replacement of Jimmy G who's price is two second round picks.

Maybe this has something to do with why as of today, none of the 2022 top 75 free agents have considered Cleveland as a landing spot - just saying.....................

B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree. With the recent signings, any trade market for Baker is pretty dry. To get a 5th round pick for him, we might have to cover half the salary. Maybe not even a pick that high.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by steve0255
It goes back to marketing and Browns have been horrible about it. If you are going to take a ridiculous stance and demand a 1st round pick for Mayfield after allowing the blatant negative leaks from the team while showing your noncommittal to a player that turned your franchise around from being a laughing stock, you have failed the player and your marketing ability to get the best possible return. Considering that Wentz was moved for two 3rd rounders and Ryan for one 3rd round pick, demanding a 1st round pick for a player the team has had a major role in demeaning is disgusting in it's own right. Now, today, the Browns continue their personal destruction of that player by holding firm on their demand adding insult to injury. I'm not going to get into the bs that's going back in forth on the forum about the moral issues or not surrounding the acquisition of Watson. The move has been made and that's just that. Berry, Stefanski, and Haslam don't really give a crap about what I think anyway. However, to either just hurt or destroy the future of a player that gave his all 100% of the time that he was here and try to call it football business - is a scummy move by the team. SFO is demanding two 2nd rounders for Jimmy G - the Browns are demanding a 1st for Mayfield - neither team has had any suitors. I'm not even going to get into what player is better or not, but I know there has to be at least a 100 posts on this forum stating Jimmy G would have been an upgrade over Baker. I will say that those posters have to be some kind of stupid to think that Mayfield is now worthy of a 1st round pick over their choice replacement of Jimmy G who's price is two second round picks.

Maybe this has something to do with why as of today, none of the 2022 top 75 free agents have considered Cleveland as a landing spot - just saying.....................

Baker did a lot of that to himself. If he wouldn't have gotten so butt hurt about us kicking the tires on Watson, and then let his ego superinflate his perception of his actual value to other teams, he'd be our starting qb going into the 2022 season with no competition. By demanding a trade and saying he wouldn't play for the Browns, he left our FO with a choice of rolling with a backup caliber qb or going back after Watson.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FloridaFan

I think it may be the 18 mil and a draft pick to get him, when they know he will get released and only 2 teams left to via for his services. At that point you might as well take the 50/50 shot acquiring him on the open market.

There is zero chance he is released. His contract is fully guranteed and the Browns would have to eat the $18M. The Browns may have to throw in a pick or eat a portion of his salary to make a trade work.

Right now, it looks like no team wants to pay $18M for a mediocre QB with attitude issues who in all likelihood will be brought to a team where he will be offered a chance to compete for the starting job, but not handed to him. Not sure how Baker would handle being a backup at this point in his career if he doesn’t win the job. Something else for teams to consider.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by jfanent
Baker did a lot of that to himself. If he wouldn't have gotten so butt hurt about us kicking the tires on Watson, and then let his ego superinflate his perception of his actual value to other teams, he'd be our starting qb going into the 2022 season with no competition. By demanding a trade and saying he wouldn't play for the Browns, he left our FO with a choice of rolling with a backup caliber qb or going back after Watson.

I agree 100%. And that tweet was funny as hell, even for someone that has supported Baker and still believe he will do well somewhere.

Legend
Legend
and thats what sucks. i thought he statement during the chaos was perfectly fine to post on social media. i think everything that was reported after that was the issue. i won't even kill him for demanding a trade because i get it.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
Legend
Legend
M
Pure speculation on my part - but I believe that there was a complete breakdown in trust and relationship between KS and Baker by the end of last year. I think that might have driven this as much as anything else. Just my two cents - but KS should have been strong enough to shut Baker down when the humerus got broke and the injury worsened. Instead everyone compromised - and in doing that didn't give 100% support to Baker, Baker started to sulk and his maturity issues that had improved, nose dived. I honestly think that's the root cause of where we are today. . . . From pure football perspective - the Browns might well be in a better place. Watson might be a top 5 QB and KS might utilize him fully and this team is good enough with that addition to challenge and beat anyone.

I might not entirely blame Baker for thinking he wanted a trade based on QB shopping with Watson ... but I blame him for going public and airing any feelings on anything to do with the Browns and his career on Social Media. I also think if he was smart - the right play was to say nothing, work harder, play smarter and take $18M and plan on being on a different team next year.

Last edited by mgh888; 03/22/22 09:37 AM.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
LOL, the Colts are paying Ryan more average per year, 54M, than Watson at 46M. Now I wonder how long it'll take Watson to demand a new deal. I give it two years at most.

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted by mgh888
Pure speculation on my part - but I believe that there was a complete breakdown in trust and relationship between KS and Baker by the end of last year. I think that might have driven this as much as anything else. Just my two cents - but KS should have been strong enough to shut Baker down when the humerus got broke and the injury worsened. Instead everyone compromised - and in doing that didn't give 100% support to Baker, Baker started to sulk and his maturity issues that had improved, nose dived. I honestly think that's the root cause of where we are today. . . . From pure football perspective - the Browns might well be in a better place. Watson might be a top 5 QB and KS might utilize him fully and this team is good enough with that addition to challenge and beat anyone.

I might not entirely blame Baker for thinking he wanted a trade based on QB shopping with Watson ... but I blame him for going public and airing any feelings on anything to do with the Browns and his career on Social Media. I also think if he was smart - the right play was to say nothing, work harder, play smarter and take $18M and plan on being on a different team next year.

I think you’re almost spot on with your observation.

From my perspective Baker handled his part poorly, very poorly. Going public on social media was idiotic and highly immature but at the same time this is who he is. Take the good like passion and a bag of positive energy with his sometimes childish reactions when someone criticize him and you get BakerMayfield. I don’t blame him for feeling offended with the way the Browns FO handled the situation but his using of social media against his employer is a death sin.

I can only comment of what I see but when Stefanski throw Baker under the bus against the Steelers he lost a little bit of my respect. I didn’t saw a mature and experienced leader who cared for a young QB instead my view is that Ski deliberately in a weird why tried to humiliate Baker.

Stefanski and Berry needs to take a deep look in the mirror and change the culture inside their organization because right now it sucks. Good leaders don’t fight with their players. A healthy organization don’t treat a player they way the handled Baker, you just don’t do that. Even if most of the Browns players share views with their employer and agree that Baker is immature they are not blind. Next time it’s their time on the chopping board. I’m glad that the Browns got a elite QB even if I’m highly uncomfortable with his baggage but they way our FO and ourHC handled Baker is nothing other then shameful.

E
Legend
Legend
E

Its not hard to understand. He had a pretty bad injury to the shoulder which is almost more important than the arm regarding QB play. Combine that with the most ultimate height of his contract and the uncertainty of not suspension due to misconduct but INJURY on if he can play. He is just a bad investment right now. This isn't a debate. Football wise I'm all for this, I think we can survive 3 years without a 1st round pick. Watson is a dang good QB I know I was one of the few that wanted us to draft him. But I don't see the need for anyone to rub salt in the wound so to say. As if one is more intelligent than the other cause nobody is clamoring for Baker...just like Brees was injured there wasn't a line of teams once a team sees how he can play then they will be attracted to him. But frankly I don't care except for the draft picks we can get for him....he no longer is a Brown. I still have a problem getting behind Watson cause of 20+ Civil suits and the character issues. What if this is a sickness? I do thank Baker cause as a fan we were sorry asses and he uplifted us from the day he stepped on the field. Thank you Baker...good luck just not against us. Best case scenario. He plays for us while Watson serves his suspension before the trade deadline he impresses teams and we get a decent pick or two for him! That is the best thing for the Browns.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by steve0255
LOL, the Colts are paying Ryan more average per year, 54M, than Watson at 46M. Now I wonder how long it'll take Watson to demand a new deal. I give it two years at most.

Incorrect.

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Trade for Watson 2

Link Copied to Clipboard