Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Just the DTs from Georgia make it deep. I have read many pieces that say a good DT will be available for us in the second round. Reciever is looked at the same way.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by Steubenvillian
Just the DTs from Georgia make it deep. I have read many pieces that say a good DT will be available for us in the second round. Reciever is looked at the same way.

As I said before, I hope you are correct.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Football wise I'm very happy with the deal. I have always been a Browns fan and not a Player fan. I will not hide the fact I liked Baker a lot but I won't debate this for one reason. HE IS NO LONGER A BROWN he is not my QB. I always liked Watson and thought well of him as I really didn't get into his legal problems but as a QB I thought he was excellent.

Stefanski became obvious to me that he did not like Baker as his QB, I even made a thread about that. But he made the best out of it. The 3 TE run game is Stefanski's scheme. Will he all of a sudden abandon it and go full spread? I don't think so. Actually our best draft pick available at #44 just might be Trey McBride that will be interesting. We got rid of Hooper who I didn't like much. I thought the kid Harrison was playing better, we have kept a young Njoku if we add McBride we got a pretty talented TE crew who could make up for the lack of WR talent here.

Very important was our acquisition of Jakeem Grant. I think a big part of Ski's O is the use of a Jett motion - we needed a viable threat as Landry had old legs but he knew how to run it. Grant has fresh legs and combined with our running attack of Chubb and Hunt the Jett sweep would become a threat to defenses and they would need to prepare for that - add in now the talents of Watson with play action as well as stretching the field horizontal and hopefully Vertical with DPJ, Amari or Njoku. McBride could become that beast also that I covet for the team. I hope Ski is creative and make us the greatest show in the NFL.

Sadly I fear the worst will happen with Watson and his legal matters. Its part of the Modell curse I guess.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by eotab
The 3 TE run game is Stefanski's scheme. Will he all of a sudden abandon it and go full spread? I don't think so.

Nathan Zegura said the other day on CBD to expect Stefanski to run a lot of 11 personnel packages this upcoming season and far less 13 personnel packages. That's coming straight from Cleveland Browns state run radio.

1 member likes this: eotab
Legend
Legend
Hey Vers, you've made a couple references to Watson in the locker room. I really don't know much about his "leadership" and wasn't really sure if you were just speaking to the fact that it would (by definition) be a huge upgrade over Baker.

I was gonna just ask you, as you may know, but didn't want to sound snarky.

Google is a b*%ch as I imagine that even if you searched "Deshaun Watson chicken noodle soup and crayons", the first twenty pages would still be about allegations.

Finally ran across this:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2858342-deshaun-watson-has-no-off-switch

It's a pretty long piece, so I just grabbed a few excerpts about work ethic and leadership, starting with this viral tweet after a tough loss in which he missed a couple deep passes that could have secured a win...

WORK ETHIC:

Seconds after the presser, he asked a Texans official to contact Avery to get him to the stadium. Avery has worked with Watson since his junior year of high school and typically flies into Houston every Sunday, gives Watson his notes to study, leads him through a swim workout Monday and watches film with him on Tuesday. This day, however, Watson wanted Avery here ASAP because he was consumed by a disgusted "achy feel." A "very, very ... hard feeling," he says.

So Watson rewatched every single snap of a game he had just played in, then hit the field.

Avery wasn't even sure if this was the best thing for Watson but didn't ask questions.

Watson grabbed his cleats and a couple footballs and worked on the exact post route he missed from the same yard line for an hour. The clock ticked past 8 p.m. The diagnosis? He was moving a tick too much on those throws. He could've "gotten on base" better, Avery says. The throw to Will Fuller was six inches from a touchdown, from a win.

"Time waits for no man," Watson says. "I have to correct that now."

The next game, Watson completed 28 of 33 passes for 426 yards with five touchdowns and no picks against Atlanta. His deep ball? Sublime. His cleats? Sent to Canton. The game after that, he outgunned Patrick Mahomes in Kansas City.

LEADERSHIP:

To Watson, leadership is simple. "Being able to take ownership," he says, of "not just the offense—the whole team." And Watson chucking deep balls after a loss in September was only one minor (albeit very public) look into his endless obsession with perfection, one that included sitting down with Kobe Bryant for an hourlong one-on-one when the NBA legend visited the team in August. Watson grew up idolizing LeBron James, but after this, he is unquestionably a Kobe guy now.

"His mindset, the way he thinks, it changes everything," Watson says.

They talked life, talked finances and kept coming back to that "Mamba" mentality. Those close to the QB rarely hear him curse. Kobe? Not so much. Yet the F-bombs and bombast and midgame death stares always distracted the world from Kobe's true intent through his 20-year career, an intent that's really sticking with Watson.

"Trying to achieve greatness is life or death to him," Watson says. "It was him not allowing anything or anybody to stop him achieve that greatness. He wanted to win everything. He would compete with everyone. He would have to be an assh--e to people to get the full greatness out of them. So a lot of people say he wasn't a great teammate, but in reality, he really was because he wanted the greatness out of each and every person on the team. From a guy who's never on the court. From a coach that don't say a word. He wanted everybody to be great. And if everybody can be great? You can win a lot of championships."

Watson has 52 teammates instead of 14, but he's still trying to bring this Kobe effect to the Texans locker room. His way. He's learning who prefers a one-on-one setting and who can take getting yelled at in front of everyone. Some people enjoy getting called out. That brings out the best in them.

In response, teammates universally praise Watson's willingness to approach everyone on the team, like safety Justin Reid, who says Watson recently explained to him after practice how he could've disguised a coverage better, could've created a better trap, to confuse him if he was across the line of scrimmage.

"We all believe in him immensely," Reid says. "I don't know how much people think he knows ball, but he knows ball."

Indeed, the manner in which Watson talks to anyone one-on-one is the exact opposite of so many stars in any pro sports league. So many view all relationships in life through one prism only: How does this person help me? If the answer is "very little," then that person is ignored and often cast aside entirely. That's never been Watson. Dozens who've known him swear that if Watson is speaking to you, he prioritizes you, because he wants to make a real difference in peoples' lives. From donating his first game check to three Texans cafeteria workers whose homes were demolished by Hurricane Harvey to creating his own foundation earlier this month, the stories are legendary. Twelve years after ex-pro Warrick Dunn helped give Watson's family a home, Watson wants to pay it forward. Avery outright dares anyone to find anybody with a bad word to say about Watson.

It seems like those kind of leadership qualities are solid, but reserved for those with great talent... Kobe can call teammates out because he outworks them and out-performs them. Deshaun can probably do the same.

Here's a question though as we imagine a very real possibility...

Deshaun is suspended for the first few games, offense gets off to a rocky start, Deshaun doesn't perform very well when he returns, losses are piling up.

What kind of leash do teammates and media give him when he has no "capital" in Cleveland yet as far as shining on the field?

I hope there is immediate success, but this is Cleveland lol. (BTW, check out the full article, I think you'll like it)

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
2 members like this: eotab, Versatile Dog
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by FATE
Avery outright dares anyone to find anybody with a bad word to say about Watson.

This didn't age well....

Sorry, but that one stuck out. I'll check out the article. Thanks for posting.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
V
Legend
Legend
V
Hey Fate. That is a good post w/some good questions.

It's a little of both w/the leadership in the locker room. I never thought Baker's attitude would transition well w/grown men. There are also all kinds of rumblings out there about how he lost the locker room w/his arrogance, lack of preparation, and immaturity. Also, I have lived in South Carolina for awhile now. Everything coming out of Clemson was about what a great person and what a tremendous leader Watson was. Do you remember his HC comparing him to Michael Jordan? In the pros, it was reported how much respect he garnered from his teammates and other players.

Your questions at the end are valid. I don't think the offense will get off to a rocky start once Watson plays. I have a completely different take on Stefanski and his offense than many around here. I also feel quite differently about a lot of talent that is on offense. I feel those things were said as excuses for Baker. Watson had an historic year when he last played and that team was pure garbage.

I think his teammates are going to be cool w/Watson. But, you raise a great point about the fanbase. I'll add in the local media. Baker is beloved by a large percentage of the fan base. For the most part, the local media feels the same way. I still can't believe that Jake Trotter guy came here from Oklahoma to cover the Browns. That seems dirty. I think the fans and probably a good portion of the media are going to be looking for reasons to trash Watson, Stefanski, and Berry. If Watson is suspended at the beginning of the season and team is losing......it could get really ugly. That will put an undue amount of stress and pressure on the entire organization. The coaching staff will be crucified and that kind of crap wears on players. I hope I am wrong about all of that, but......

1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
My man Quincy brought out some advanced metrics:

Clearly there will be an upgrade at the position. One stat Q didn't talk much about is in DW's three years of playing.

He has averaged 470 yards rushing per year. That is a serious number.

I have always liked quarterbacks who are mobile. Third and long defenses have to honor the pass. Defenders drop in to coverage zones etc.

Lanes open. A quarterback that run for that first down from shotgun. That eats defenses. They hate that.

I have seen DW take over games in college and the pros. That was my main gripe with Baker. Late in games with the game on the line. He did not take over games very often. DW it was habit.

DW will sacrifice his body. That will up the injury risk but he plays to win. Hopefully he will protect himself like Wilson does.

1 member likes this: mgh888
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
JMHO, DW was outstanding at Clemson, he's been outstanding in Texas ON the field. He's got to be outstanding off the field. Sadly, how many women go after single black millionaire athletes- hope his dating becomes a marriage and then maybe some of the off field stuff goes away. But, he's a target until married FOR SURE.
Go Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Pure Football the deal

Link Copied to Clipboard