Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Experienced depth. 40 career starts.

Not a bad backup if Harris craps the bed. Seattle ran our same system last year as well.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Experienced depth. 40 career starts.

Wouldn't be surprised if he's given a legit shot to start over Harris.

I think everybody gets that. I don't know much about the guy, but Harris seems to be unknown to a weak link on the line so I would expect this kid to be given a shot, and not shocked if he wins out.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
L
Legend
Legend
L
If he has versatility, as has been suggested, this deal sounds good to me. At worst, Pocic offers solid depth.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by lampdogg
If he has versatility, as has been suggested, this deal sounds good to me. At worst, Pocic offers solid depth.

The Bob Hallen of the NFL. smile

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c:

Where does jack get his information?

Spotrac has Brissett's cap hit @ $4,650,000.
And Hubbs @ $1,187,500

[Linked Image]

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
OverTheCap apparently.

I'm not sure if the site is updated yet but both OTC and Spottrac are saying the same info. Berry has a tendency to kick money down the road to another year or two even when one's contract is up, which I'm not necessarily a fan of, but it is what it is. I'm guessing he is doing this because of the assumed massive cap increase expected to happen year-to-year.

This might be one of those cases.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
OverTheCap apparently.

I'm not sure if the site is updated yet but both OTC and Spottrac are saying the same info. Berry has a tendency to kick money down the road to another year or two even when one's contract is up, which I'm not necessarily a fan of, but it is what it is. I'm guessing he is doing this because of the assumed massive cap increase expected to happen year-to-year.

This might be one of those cases.

What I posted is from Spotrac.

[Linked Image]

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O
It was reported that there was a team that was miffed that it wasn't given an opportunity to match the crazy contract the Browns threw out there. If that's true, people are getting mad at the Browns for something that at least 1 (and probably more) other teams would've gladly done.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Right. This is about the Ravens' owner pissed not getting a deal done w/ Jackson before this Watson contract. He's just mad at the timeline presuming they were trying to get something done.

Now, there is precedence for these QB deals.

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O
I get that it's unprecedented, but these people sound like there's never been an outlier contract before. I don't get the hand-wringing and the fake tears.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: WSU Willie
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by oobernoober
I get that it's unprecedented, but these people sound like there's never been an outlier contract before. I don't get the hand-wringing and the fake tears.

I see you spending your time in the political threads. You know how this game works. smile

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: oobernoober
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by oobernoober
It's because most owners can't ante up a quarter billion to an escrow account for a fully guaranteed contract.

The byproduct of this contract was a bit of a sucker-punch to a division rival... whose QB situation ticks in at "a little better" than Baker's did (my opinion). Now Jackson is looking for a check that the Raven's will not be willing to sign. Owner is low-key crying foul in advance of those contract talks.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Guaranteed contracts have been expected for awhile. Watson's unique circumstances and the resultant bidding war led to it happening. The optics stink with the cloud hanging over Watson, but fully guaranteed contracts were verging on inevitable, especially with the NFLPA somewhat getting its act together while dealing with COVID concerns. The NFL was the last major US sports league to avoid them. It was also the most profitable. Now the owners will have to spread the wealth a bit more and shoulder more of the injury risk players take on.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
M
Legend
Legend
M
I have not read anything, ever, from any source that guaranteed contracts were ever on the horizon for the NFL or inevitable. Currently bad contracts have the potential to decimate a team for a year or two while they absorb them and wash them from the books - having guaranteed contracts would potential send a team into a death spiral for 4 or 5 years. Anyone want to know who the 5th or 6th highest paid player on the Cincinnati Reds is this year?

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It was talked about a decent bit back in 2018 when Kirk Cousins signed his fully guaranteed deal. Russell Okung tweeted about it a lot. There's an article on Forbes, but it won't let me copy the link for some reason, keeps cutting off everything after forbes.com. Article was from July 5, 2018. Titled "NFL Players Call For Guaranteed Contracts As Potential Work Stoppage Looms."

It could only stick for QBs. Cousins let that genie out of the bottle. With a 2nd, longer fully guaranteed contract, it's going to be hard to put that genie back. All the QB protection rules mitigate a decent bit of the injury risk at that position.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

While researching some info on Baker, I couldn't help but notice how high JC Tretter was ranked. The guy was outstanding. Did his release have anything to do w/him being the President of the NFLPA? I do not think it is a good idea to let a guy that good just walk even if he was expensive.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
By doing this, Berry has put teams in a bad situation. If they can't pony up, someone else will. This could lead to Jackson being moved out of the division, which is in the best interest of the Browns. Also, I don't think the Rooneys have cash availability like that either. This is going to be a game changer.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
j/c:

While researching some info on Baker, I couldn't help but notice how high JC Tretter was ranked. The guy was outstanding. Did his release have anything to do w/him being the President of the NFLPA? I do not think it is a good idea to let a guy that good just walk even if he was expensive.

The optics were that is was cap-related. Who knows if there was more behind it? I am surprised he is still available though.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
j/c:

It was cap related. He was always likely to get cut this off-season (just like Landry and OBJ). I don't think he practiced at all in 2021 because his knee is pretty torn up.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks Cap.

1 member likes this: CapCity Dawg
Legend
Legend
I don't think his position in the union had anything to do with his release.

His replacement was planned for cap space, age, and health. JC could rarely practice. His knees are in bad shape.

Harris was drafted and developed to replace him. Pretty common for an aging player. He still suited up and played well despite his knees.

It was one of those things were his time as a Brown had reached the end. If he gets a deal it will not be a long deal.

Harris is smaller. His natural position is center. They just signed Pocic who will compete for the position. We should be fine.

JC was a good player and will be missed. I wish him well.

1 member likes this: GMdawg
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Browns get lowest grade in AFC North for their off season moves. All 32 teams graded:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2954659-bleacher-report-expert-consensus-free-agency-grades

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Legend
Legend
Quite an obvious opinion piece based upon the Watson signing.

From a pure football perspective the upgrade at quarterback is obvious. Not only obvious but puts the Browns in contention.
(I believe the Browns know what the suspension will be if he is suspended.)

The trade for Cooper viewed in the light of some of the receiver deals since we acquired him like the Kirk deal. Please, it was a steal. Plus Berry restructured his deal to provide cap space.
Signing Brissett is an upgrade over Keenum IMO.

The Mack Wilson deal was a good move. The Pocic deal as well. Taven Bryan may also help at DT depth.

Glad the B/R "expert" consenus means nothing. That goes right next to Dan ? Power Rankings. This is March 30.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Bone...did you not learn anything from last season...drinking the cool-aide and swallowing all the hype that was bestowed upon the Browns and their pending Super Bowl appearance..that many predicted was going to happen last season..?

We got burned by the hype last season..won't happen again this year.

To the team I say...don't tell me how good you are...show me how good you are..!

Last edited by mac; 03/30/22 12:37 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Couple different thoughts...

Regarding that offseason ranking, which doesn't matter of course, it is clear that everybody's still in their feels right now. They really agreed that adding a top5 QB = D. lol

Regarding Watson's contract and all the teeth-gnashing about needing $ in escrow, competitive balance, blah blah blah...if only the owner's could get together every year and change rules to address competitive balance. Maybe somewhere warm in March, but just spitballing here.

It's also hilarious that the media and apparently FO folks can just pretend that Cousins' guaranteed contracts (plural) never happened. I don't want to speculate why they are somehow tagging the guaranteed contract issue to Watson, but it makes you wonder the motive...these people cannot be that ignorant of their own league.

Browns fans are born with it...
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by steve0255
Browns get lowest grade in AFC North for their off season moves. All 32 teams graded:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2954659-bleacher-report-expert-consensus-free-agency-grades

Brent Sobleski was a Baker fan. Not surprised he gave the Browns a 'D'.

Legend
Legend
I don't care about last season. We had a great roster. It felt good to be excited about the season.

Things didn't work out. It happens. Lots of junk happened and the season results suffered.

It doesn't bother me. Way better than looking at 1-31.

We will have a good roster. Nobody can predict injuries. That aside watching a qb like DW play will be fun. He is very good and I think he will do well with KS.

I have no problem feeling good about playing a season. I like the idea that we have a chance and I believe we have.

Legend
Legend
His release had everything to do with the Browns saving $$$$

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

*doesn't include hooper

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks bro.

Edit: I can't say I agree w/that decision. Again, I loved Dorsey and did not like the Berry hire. However, the guy has done a very good job for the most part. Not every decision is a good one, but he has made a lot of good ones. I also like his demeanor and professionalism. He comes across as a very thoughtful and fair man. I'm glad that a minority is getting a shot in such an important position and excelling. Hopefully, that will open the door for others. I am not a fan of dumping Tretter, but I'm not going to freak out over it.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 03/30/22 06:46 PM.
1 member likes this: oobernoober
O
Legend
Legend
O
Obviously, there was a LOT of nervousness bringing in the protege of Sashi. I think the results speak for themselves. You definitely can't accuse these guys of not having a plan/being rudderless.

There's also just a overarching feeling of the Browns being in control. Maybe that's the thoughtfulness, or maybe it's the patience. It probably doesn't even mean all that much in terms of wins, but it's a breath of fresh air (as a fan) to have the united front that this FO has. Oh... and less Jimmy front and center is never a bad thing.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
2 members like this: oobernoober, AZBrown
Legend
Legend
Browns Have Expressed Interest in Brandin Cooks

CLEVELAND-- The Browns are continuing their search for another wide receiver this offseason.

The Browns have had talks with the Houston Texans regarding receiver Brandin Cooks at times this offseason, a league source tells TheOBR.

The extent of those talks is unknown, but the Browns have called on the former first-round draft pick as they continue to explore possible options.

Cooks, who was selected 20th overall in the 2014 NFL Draft by the New Orleans Saints, was traded to the Texans in 2020 after spending two seasons in Los Angeles.

Cooks also played in 16 games with the New England Patriots during the 2017 season.

The former first-round pick has 7,917 career yards and 46 career touchdowns while averaging 13.8 yards per catch in his career.

The team is also open to a reunion with Jarvis Landry at the right price, however, it is unknown the level of seriousness in those talks.

COMMENTS
The current receiver room consists of Amari Cooper, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Anthony Schwartz, Ja'Marcus Bradley, and Jakeem Grant.

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Article/Browns-Interested-in-Brandin-Cooks-185670949/

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
1 member likes this: Hammer
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I was kind of surprised we didn't get him in the Watson trade, it's been rumored for months now that Cooks was available.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by dawg66
I was kind of surprised we didn't get him in the Watson trade, it's been rumored for months now that Cooks was available.

Could a first round pick at 20th and number one trade happen ? Cooks for Baker ?

I have to lol ! Cooks / Baker. Seems a little bit like a hells kitchen episode !

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Anthony Schwartz needs to take this as a sign that his
Roster spot is not safe by any means
Not to hard to replace a WR that only had 70 total yards
Of recieving after week 1.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Browns Have Expressed Interest in Brandin Cooks

Cooks production in outdoor games, in weather is similar to what he might experience in Cleveland during Nov/Dec/Jan...I have to ask if Cooks is a fair weather WR..?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Cooper / Cooks / DPJ / Draft pick would be a very good WR corp

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
Anthony Schwartz needs to take this as a sign that his
Roster spot is not safe by any means
Not to hard to replace a WR that only had 70 total yards
Of recieving after week 1.

Supposedly, part of Schwartz draft profile was that he's a smart dude.... so I find it hard to believe he doesn't already know he's gotta show more than last year.

-PrplPplEater
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum 2022 Browns Free Agency Signings/News

Link Copied to Clipboard