Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by BADdog
Eli and obj didn't have the best relationship thier last 2 years. And had trouble connecting

You'll still be fighting for Baker when he gets cut from the new USFL.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
Baker playing well while DeShaun is suspended may be best for Baker and the team. He's not in our long-term plans, but as a fill in we're unlikely to find much better. We're paying him either way. Trade him in-season before the deadline after an opportunity to re-inflate his value

Baker isn't going to play. You don't bring unhappy campers in the building. That is a little like inviting the EX to the Wedding. At best it is awkward, worst a disaster.

Right now we don't have any leverage to trade the guy. Not one thing works in our favor. As it stands the best we can get is a late round pick and we pay half or more of the money owed this season.

So that is the current choice. The other choice is to wait it out to see if something happens that will improve our leverage.

You win some and you lose some. Right now it is looking like a loss.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by cfrs15
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Not when he's told not to show up and they will pay him anyway.

That is definitely a possibility. If/when Watson is suspended Baker would also be wise to play to erase some bad memories from 2021.

You keep thinking it is Bakers decision to play.

Again, the team isn't going to allow that to happen. The divorce papers have been served. It is over.

We have changed the locks and he can't get in. As long as we pay him, there is nothing he can do about it.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by EveDawg
I think Baker will be a bargaining chip in the draft to trade up into the first round.

Maybe, but it won't be much of a chip.

Teams still have the problem of it being his 5th year. They will still want to get a long term deal in place.

As i see it, if a team really wanted him as that type of player, they would trade and take on his salary. They would do that to keep from getting in to a open market bidding war. No teams are doing that, so it looks to me like the bidding war is non-existent.

Baker is making 19 mil for this season. I would think that will be the starting point for his services on a 4 year deal. I don't think he is going to agree to a 1-2-3 year Keenum contract until he is a FA and has shopped every team.

If teams felt he was worth the money he makes today, and possibly more, the phones in Berea would be ringing on a regular basis.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: CapCity Dawg
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I don't understand all the Baker bashing. What's the point of this thread? The Browns went out and got Watson (the savior), he is their QB going forward. Mayfield did his time and it's time for him to move on. Players demand to get traded all the time. Is the bashing of Baker somehow giving the posters here justification for the acquisition of Watson and all his baggage? Personally, I don't get it. The best QB the Browns have had in over 2 decades that has dealt with the Browns stigma of being the cesspool of the NFL only to pull the team up from a 1-31 record with his play to some kind of respectability only to have the fans in this forum turn on him like a rabid dog. Except for busting his azz the entire time he has been here, the only thing thing he did directly related to the fan base was a "thank you" post for their support while he's been a member of the Cleveland Browns and the community after he had a communication issue with the team. The exact same attitude, immaturity, and brashness that fans on this forum welcomed that he finally brought to the position and Cleveland is now being used to classify him as a bust and the entire reason for the 2021 woes.

Now sooner or later, Mayfield is going to move on and the Watson era will begin in Cleveland. That's a reality that's going to happen whether you're a Baker supporter or a hater. I just find it odd that the forum kings here that are quick to bash Mayfield in any post they can about how poor a player Mayfield has been while here in Cleveland but still have the audacity to suggest that trading Mayfield should bring at a minimum a 1st round pick or more. I mean if Baker is as bad as people have posted here then the Browns should be paying his contract and giving a 2nd round pick to a team to just take him off the Browns hands. With perfect timing and as if on cue, the disrespectful bashing of another Browns player has begun from a thankless fan base. His only crime was to be an integral part of changing the "face of despair" of a multi decade losing team into a potential playoff contender. The Browns have decided to upgrade the position as the next step toward that elusive Super Bowl which is a team decision. Let's just make sure that we bash the hell out of the guy that played a major role in getting them to this point on his way out. Is it any wonder why the stigma remains that Cleveland is "The Mistake by the Lake."

As a fan, my hope that Watson is that upgrade and that maybe the team will get over that hump that's still in the way. I'm thankful for the excitement that Mayfield has brought to Cleveland and finally getting to experience that playoff run that has eluded this team for so long. I hope he's successful wherever he's ends up. Even if he never plays another down in the NFL, this fan will never forget the decades of losing and the despair of a 1-31 record that Mayfield had an integral part in turning the fortunes of the Browns.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
6 members like this: Hammer, Cleats, Tackman
2nd String
2nd String
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

Haha.....this has to be coming from someone in the Browns' FO as to not seem like the Browns feel immediate urgency to trade him, thus will take something really low in terms of value.

Like they really feel comfortable going into the season with Baker on the roster? Yeah, ok.

Why not? If Watson gets suspended the Browns need a QB that can win games during that absence and give them the opportunity to go to the post season. If Baker doesn't report he doesn't get paid and looks bad in the eyes of potential landing spots. It is in Baker's best interest to be a professional and go out and win games. Doing so makes his value go up. Pitching a hissy fit and not playing ensures he doesn't get the starting job elsewhere with a nice new shiny contract. He is one of 32 people on the entire planet that has the privilege to be a starting QB in the NFL. If the Browns make him stay home, they have to pay him and lose any leverage they may have with a trade. Suck it up and make the best of it, and that goes for both sides. This is just my opinion.

The Constitution shall never be construe to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. – Samuel Adams
F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Baker isn't going to play. You don't bring unhappy campers in the building. That is a little like inviting the EX to the Wedding. At best it is awkward, worst a disaster..

I had a friend who's ex-wife was a bridesmaid at his 2nd wedding. smile

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
M
Legend
Legend
M
I don't agree with everything in the post, but for certain KS is being provided excuses that Baker wasn't regards the injuries to other positions - and you virtually never see an acknowledgement that Baker had a torn shoulder and broken humerus even while they talk about needing average QB last year. In a position of convenience people blame Baker for playing hurt and give KS a completely free pass even though everyone saw how badly Baker was playing. Yes their are many that are gleefully piling on very criticisms. Yes it seem that many forget or don't want to acknowledge what Baker brought to the team and how he helped turn around a 1-31 team, the impact he had as rookie and his part in going to and winning a playoff game.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by FloridaFan
Baker isn't going to play. You don't bring unhappy campers in the building. That is a little like inviting the EX to the Wedding. At best it is awkward, worst a disaster..

I had a friend who's ex-wife was a bridesmaid at his 2nd wedding. smile

I suppose there is always one in the crowd.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
If they can't trade Baker, I don't see why he couldn't start the first four games for them. Sure, it might be awkward, but if healthy he is better than Brissett (I think) and it would be in his interest to play well. Also, with DeShaun's contract the way it is, they would still just have about $25M invested in QB salaries, which these days is a bargain.

T
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
T
Originally Posted by The Big G
If they can't trade Baker, I don't see why he couldn't start the first four games for them. Sure, it might be awkward, but if healthy he is better than Brissett (I think) and it would be in his interest to play well. Also, with DeShaun's contract the way it is, they would still just have about $25M invested in QB salaries, which these days is a bargain.

What if it's 4 to 6 games and they go 6 and 0 with Baker? It would look like a $230 million egg on Haslam's face. He isn't letting that chance happen.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Originally Posted by Tackman

What if it's 4 to 6 games and they go 6 and 0 with Baker? It would look like a $230 million egg on Haslam's face. He isn't letting that chance happen.

If we are 6-0 we are going to have a LOT of trade partners...And we decide to play that hand if it comes to that. I think that is a good problem to have...

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by oobernoober
There is no incentive to cut Baker. Eating salary makes the most sense at this point but there is no rush.

But there is certainly an incentive to have at home him sitting on the couch while you're paying him.

If the alternative is cutting him and eating his salary anyway, might as well hold out hope for a trade.

I don't disagree with you there. But nobody from Haslam to Barry to Stefanski wants the media crap storm, team distraction and fan reaction that would come with Baker and Deshawn both on the sideline. Or even bringing Baker in if watson gets suspended. The signing of Brisset shows what their plan B is. It seems some think the Browns are in a position of strength here. I don't think the problem is trading Baker. I think the problem is the Browns have put themselves in a situation that the entire NFL knows they screwed the pooch. As such, the Browns can trade him, but they'll never get close to what they want.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by jfanent
Are there any Browns players speaking up in defense of Baker?

Any Browns players speaking up in defense of the FO?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Any Browns players speaking up in defense of the FO?

Lol. There you go again.The FO aren't people you've shared locker rooms and gone to battle with, they're the ones trying to sign you for as little as possible and trade you if something better comes along. So I take it your answer is no?

[Linked Image from c.tenor.com]

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
So it only works for you in one direction? lmao

The FO signs their checks. But somehow to you that means nothing.

[Linked Image from c.tenor.com]

Not attempting to consider a legitimate counterpoint that the players haven't supported either side isn't a good look on you.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
You're really something, lol. I asked a simple question, you threw another entitiy into it and asked another question without answering mine. Yet another classic example of Pit moving the goal posts.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
2 members like this: archbolddawg, FATE
P
Legend
Legend
P
I threw in that there are two sides to that question. It turns out that both sides of that question have the exact same answer. It's not my problem that bothers you. All NFL players deal with their team mates and the management. It would take a moron to come out and support a player your ownership just replaced. You would be putting a target on your back. So them not saying anything one way or the other means nothing. The fact you can't see that speaks more about you than it does me.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: mac
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A

With due respect, I think this is truly a terrible, terrible, terrible idea. IMO.

Besides, Baker will be gone before the start of the regular season.

Time to see what Brissett has to offer in a slightly different offense tailored to our new quarterbacks (in case of suspension).

I was going to say, "But, stranger things have happened"........ I can't remember when, though.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
If a QB-needy team doesn't trade for him before or during the draft, it just isn't happening. At this point, if we can trade up 20 spots back into round 2 with Baker and our 3rd, that's about as good as its gonna get. And we still probably pay some of that salary, too.

Browns fans are born with it...
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Just hold see if someone gets hurt in camp to trade him. He has been such a little bitch about this whole thing, unprofessional, childish, oh well bro you over played your stroke.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by oobernoober
There is no incentive to cut Baker. Eating salary makes the most sense at this point but there is no rush.

But there is certainly an incentive to have at home him sitting on the couch while you're paying him.

If the alternative is cutting him and eating his salary anyway, might as well hold out hope for a trade.

I don't disagree with you there. But nobody from Haslam to Barry to Stefanski wants the media crap storm, team distraction and fan reaction that would come with Baker and Deshawn both on the sideline. Or even bringing Baker in if watson gets suspended. The signing of Brisset shows what their plan B is. It seems some think the Browns are in a position of strength here. I don't think the problem is trading Baker. I think the problem is the Browns have put themselves in a situation that the entire NFL knows they screwed the pooch. As such, the Browns can trade him, but they'll never get close to what they want.

I think I sorta agree with you. I'll say it this way... I reserve my right to do a 180 on this topic if we're still in the same position come training camp and the drama still hasn't dissipated.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
Its so.funny how some on here acted like if the Browns moved on from Baker
It would be another 20 years before they landed another "franchise" QB.
Well they just landed one in a Watson.
If you made a list of the most over rated Browns since the return, Baker makes
The top 5 easily.
That's not exactly true... most people felt the only way we would get a franchise QB, other than hoping we could draft one, was to overpay... and whether we overpaid for Watson is still up for debate. With no first round picks for the foreseeable future and a lot of better players going to want their first big contract soon, we may have about a 2-3 year window to win it all or we might end up in cap trouble...

And if you think the one QB who has taken us to, and won, a playoff game since our return is in the top 5 most overrated.. then you haven't been around enough...

yebat' Putin
2 members like this: Dave, mgh888
Legend
Legend
I agree. I think there are some teams out there who are going to be interested in Baker, his contract is the biggest problem. Even if you think he's a bottom 8 starting QB in the NFL, he's still a lot better than all of the back-ups, which should be enough to get him on a roster, but nobody is going to pay $18 million for a guy to start out as the back-up. Teams know they have the upper hand on the Browns now in any negotiation regarding Baker.... they will wait and see how the draft shakes out, wait and see how OTAs play out, probably even go into camp... somebody will get hurt, somebody will underperform.... and a team will take the Browns behind the woodshed on a deal. Because the Browns absolutely cannot have Watson and Mayfield trying to "peacefully coexist" going into the season. Any time Watson has a bad half or even just throws an INT and the camera cuts to Baker? Yea, that can't happen.

yebat' Putin
B
Legend
Legend
B
And he is probably better than the current draft class. At least some of those being mentioned as 1st round picks.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

One thing I have not addressed yet is the injury situation w/Baker.

I think the injury hampered him. I do not agree that it was the end-all, be-all. I sure as hell don't think his eyes were hurt. Most probably remember plays like the pick against the Steelers on MNF. Njoku is wide open running across the middle toward the sideline. Baker throws past him to a similar route by DPJ. The latter is covered and it's picked. That is not due to an injury. It's due to a bad decision or terrible vision. Holding the ball too long is not because of the injury. He's always done that. Wilting under pressure was not due to the injury. He's always done that. Not recognizing where the blitz is coming from pre-snap was not because of the injury. Terrible reading of coverages was not due to the injury. One can argue that the inaccurate throws were, but he had a ton last year, as well.

It annoys me how the Baker fans blame everyone but Baker. The WRs, the OL, the fans, the coaching. It's also annoying how they blame Stefanski for not benching Baker because he was injured. Here is some news..........that is not a coaching decision. The decision on whether to play or sit a player in regards to their injury is up to the medical staff.

I think, but do not know, that Baker wanted to keep playing because of his contract situation. He had rejected the Brown's offer during the off-season and was in search of top qb money. He then overstated the effects of his injury when he wasn't playing well. By doing so, he threw shade on the coaching staff and the organization.

As I have stated for years, Baker is an emotional midget. Compare him to a guy like Jimmy G. The latter had an injury to his throwing shoulder that required surgery and he still can't throw the ball. He also had a really bad hand injury that made it hard to grip the ball. Did Jimmy G ever use that as an excuse? SF also gave up a boat load to move up in the draft to draft his replacement. Did Jimmy complain? Did he whine? Did he demand a trade? No, he just went out and played ball while garnering the support of his teammates instead of alienating them. That is what a man does. I want to clarify something.......I did not want the Browns to go after Jimmy G as Baker's replacement because he makes some really dumb throws at times. I am simply bringing up the differences between a man and a child.

Legend
Legend
I threw in that there are two sides to that question. It turns out that both sides of that question have the exact same answer. It's not my problem that bothers you. All NFL players deal with their team mates and the management. It would take a moron to come out and support a player your ownership just replaced. You would be putting a target on your back. So them not saying anything one way or the other means nothing. The fact you can't see that speaks more about you than it does me.

You answered a question with a question.....and mac liked your post. rofl You can't make this stuff up!

You threw that in there to start crap, just like you always do. It's your modus operandi, recognized by everyone here. Have at it, LWL.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

jf...as Pit attempted to point out to you, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the guys in locker room are smart enough to know that the guy who signs their checks gave Baker the boot and it might not be good for their future employment with the Browns if they needlessly start giving out opinions concerning a deal the boss loves.

Knowing what is best for their own job security shows a degree of understanding from those in the locker room that "some fans" just don't seem to understand.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #1936464 03/30/22 09:33 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Many players voiced their support for OBJ.

mac #1936466 03/30/22 09:37 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Honestly, I don't think the FO would mind if players showed support. It couldn't hurt his trade value, and might help.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

So this tweet is likely bogus, but it got me thinking. I hadn't really considered the Giants as a possible trade partner. Baker for Daniel Jones and Saquon Barkley, who says no? It seems like Schoen has said he'd listen to offers for Barkley, and it was speculated that with his contract Saquon might only bring in a 4th round pick. Daniel Jones is a turnover machine and Baker could be an upgrade. I know our RB room is already stacked. Could Barkley play in the slot? Stefanski seems to like his jet sweeps, and Barkley does have 190 career catches.

Fiercely Independent.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg

So this tweet is likely bogus, but it got me thinking. I hadn't really considered the Giants as a possible trade partner. Baker for Daniel Jones and Saquon Barkley, who says no? It seems like Schoen has said he'd listen to offers for Barkley, and it was speculated that with his contract Saquon might only bring in a 4th round pick. Daniel Jones is a turnover machine and Baker could be an upgrade. I know our RB room is already stacked. Could Barkley play in the slot? Stefanski seems to like his jet sweeps, and Barkley does have 190 career catches.

The Giants aren’t trading Barkley for Baker. Barkley is a running back not a slot receiver. This is one of the more fantastical posts I’ve seen on here in awhile.

B
Legend
Legend
B
So lets see...Daniel Jones and Barkly for Baker?

Did you find the magic beans that Jack used to grow his beanstalk?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
2 members like this: Hammer, FATE
B
Legend
Legend
B
One other separate thought to add: Trading Baker isn't as simple as us trading him.

Being in the last year of his contract teams are going to want more than a 1 year rental with him free after the season. They are going to want a signed contract as part of the trade. If Baker isn't agreeable to the contract offer, he can say he won't sign and any deal does up in smoke.

My feeling is that team Baker expected a larger market for his services. Now that reality is starting to sink in and teams aren't lining up at the doors in Berea, his attitude on what is and isn't a good deal might change. At one time he was probably thinking in the 40mil per year range. Now it might be 35 or so mil over 3 years with some incentives.

If he and his team have their numbers adjusted, a trade might be doable. Baker might want to bet on himself for the year, but teams around the league might not want to take that bet. At least without a multi-year contract in pocket.

One year rentals are fine at some positions. Not so much at QB.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
Legend
Legend
This is interesting. I wrote this 3/27.
==================================================================================

"One team that has not been mentioned to my knowledge as a place for Baker is:

the New York Giants.

IMO Daniel Jones is not very good. Tyrod Taylor is the backup. We all know Tyrod is a backup.

If I were the Giants I would go after Baker.

I admit I have not seen a lot of Jones. But, what I have seen does not look good. I don't see a NFL starter in him. I just don't.

In four years in college at Duke he completed 59.9%. That is at Duke.

He is 12-25 as a starter with the Giants.

He is making around $8. This will be his fourth year. In fact I don't know why the Giants are not real active at looking.

In my mind Baker is for sure an upgrade over Jones."
================================================================================

I wonder if this gets real?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I can see only 4 possible scenarios:

1, Seattle blinks
2, Baker agree to restructure his contract to facilitate a trade
3, A starting Qb gets injured and that team trades for Baker
4, Baker remains on the roster and sits inactive each week as Qb3

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So lets see...Daniel Jones and Barkly for Baker?

Did you find the magic beans that Jack used to grow his beanstalk?

It was late, and I was letting my imagination go and connecting dots/rumors. Tiki Barber said the Giants should get rid of Jones and Barkley if they're going full rebuild. We had RBs line up in the slot 135 times last season according to rotowire (admittedly mostly Felton.) Barkley has caught a lot of passes. I saw that tweet. I'd seen speculation that Barkley's trade value was only a 4th round pick ( sounds like the "midround" of the late night Twitter scrolling tweet.) We're trying to trade Baker, and there aren't a ton of obvious landing spots. The Giants haven't picked up Jones 5th year option, he's played atrociously at times, and he's been injured. My brain blended all that together.

It's not likely, but would you do it?

Jet motions for Barkley, Chubb coming downhill, Watson with the ability to hand it to either or keep it and run or pass. Let a guy dream. thumbsup

Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Jester
I can see only 4 possible scenarios:

1, Seattle blinks
2, Baker agree to restructure his contract to facilitate a trade
3, A starting Qb gets injured and that team trades for Baker
4, Baker remains on the roster and sits inactive each week as Qb3

Make that 5, Baker agree to restructure his contract to facilitate his release

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Barkley being involved in a trade to come to the Browns is not likely.

Baker going to the Giants? I could see that.

I wonder if Baker and his agent wouid consider a restuctured deal to make it happen? The deal could be incentive based with bonus money attached to production.

Baker wants to start. This could be an opportunity. Berry IMO will play hardball. If he has to hold on to Baker to get a resonable deal. IMO he will do that.

Baker is worth a second. Berry IMO would take a third. But I don't see Berry taking on much of his salary.

Berry believes there will be a market for Baker. Fitz got plenty of chances. Baker is at least that good.

Patience will pay off.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
What's the upside for Mayfield to restructure his contract with the Browns? Adding years to his deal doesn't give Mayfield an advantage - it lets the Browns off the hook and his new team. At this point, no matter what the Browns do, Mayfield is due his 18.9M guaranteed. Cut Mayfield - Browns owe 18.9M. Trade Mayfield - Mayfield still gets his 18.9M whether it's from the new team or a combination of the Browns and the new team. Keep Mayfield - Browns owe 18.9M. Trade mid-season - Browns or new team owe balance of 18.9M. Mayfield is not going to refuse to show because not only will he be fined heavily, his contract would roll to 2023. Except for the fact that Mayfield would be on a new team, the above scenarios only benefits the Browns, not Mayfield. IMHO, I highly doubt that any decision Mayfield is contemplating or will take would be based on helping out the Browns after what has happened. I can certainly see Mayfield negotiating a deal with a new team but to do anything to give the Browns a break - HIGHLY UNLIKELY!

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
1 member likes this: WSU Willie
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Baker Mayfield 3.0

Link Copied to Clipboard