Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
bonefish #1935508 03/26/22 09:56 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree, and I also would think that we would like to find (full time) a bookend DE across from MG.

That ship in all likelihood sailed with our first round pick.

[Linked Image]

Milk Man #1935509 03/26/22 10:10 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
The pending Watson suspension should have significant influence on how the FO plays this draft. 2022 is a lost year. Brisset isn't going to carry this team through 4-6-8 games...he's just not. The same should be said about the remaining FA. We've signed a whopping (2) players in FA who weren't Browns last year - a backup DT and a punt-kick returner. I think both Clowney and Landry will come back...and if they do, that just keeps us in neutral...it doesn't improve the 53 over last year.

We might as well move around in this draft and try and get as many guys as possible in the 2nd-4th Rds. With 2022 lost anyway, that gives these guys the year they need to develop...as picks in Rds 2-4 tend to need. We have a 2nd, (2) 3rds and a 4th. The remaining 6th and 7th Rd picks should go at K and/or P. Five guys in Rds 2-4 who should all be either DLine or WR...maybe a TE. Moving down a little in Rds 2-3 to get another 2nd or 3rd could be doable. Trading draft assets to move up is only an option if we sign even-more than Landry and Clowney pre-draft. Here's the latest list of "top" available free agents...kind of depressing: https://nfltraderumors.co/top-2022-nfl-free-agents-list/

We don't have any easily-available, valuable trade pieces other than possibly Baker...and that looks like a stretch right now. With the "talk" of wanting Felton more involved in the running game, I suppose they could move Hunt for some level of decent picks...I would not like that.

I just don't see the sensible path for us to be aggressive in this draft knowing/not-knowing about Watson's pending suspension.

WSU Willie #1935525 03/26/22 11:01 AM
Legend
Legend
Last year we won eight games with overall poor play at quarterback. We had view options at receiver. Odell gone. Jarvis hurt.

Schwartz a rookie who got injured. DPJ is a developing receiver. Hooper IMO was not good and took plays from Njoku and Bryant.

We lost a pro bowl player at RT for most of the year. Defenses loaded the box and dared us to throw. The offense was ranked 23rd by PFF.

=================================================================================

Brissett is at least as good as an injured Baker and better than Keenum.

For grins let's say Brissett plays the first six games. He will have an intact OL with a new starting center and better depth at tackle.

Cooper is a proven pro. He runs great routes and is a deep threat. DPJ will have another year behind him. Schwartz will begin his second year having gained experience. We will most likely bring back Jarvis or sign a guy like Will Fuller. In addition we will probably draft at least one receiver. Hooper was released. Njoku franchised. Njoku and Bryant will be catching more passes.

We have three proven running backs.

Brissett will have protection. He will have backs to hand off to. He will have more and better receiver options.

Brissett has shown he can win games. He has close to a 500 record.

So, if he wins 3 of 6 games. We should be fine.

Over those calculated six games DW will have a chance to learn the offense.

So he would step into the starting role with 11 games to play. If he wins eight of those. We win 11 games. That should put us in the playoffs.

I would not say at this point that the 2022 season is wasted IMO.

bonefish #1935539 03/26/22 11:49 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I hope you are correct. I think Brissett is awful. I'd rather have Keenum...so would Buffalo. Let's hope the 1st half of the season has the weakest opponents on the docket...somehow...I expect the exact opposite from the league.

WSU Willie #1935549 03/26/22 12:28 PM
Legend
Legend
I know most are siting a suspension. At best the league has been inconsistent in how they have handled "personal conduct policy."

The common comparison is Big Ben got six games which was reduced to four.

DW is a much different case. It was not a rape allegation. DW was not criminally indicted.

In the press conference he has maintained innocence. He intends to fight the civil cases. If he is found innocent. I do not know how he can be charged?

We are in speculation ground. So, I have no clue how the NFL will rule.

Milk Man #1935709 03/27/22 09:58 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If we go DL with our first two picks, Erik Ezukanma, WR Texas Tech, might be a name to watch.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
Milk Man #1936214 03/29/22 03:42 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
Brissett's numbers last year (in 5 games) look alot like Baker's normal line. I think we will be fine as long as everyone is healthy, we still have an elite running game that can shorten the game and minimize the impact of Brissett needing to carry. Hopefully we know in well enough advance of any suspension so KS can game plan, because we know its going to be drastically different when watson gets back. I think you look for another WR or DT in the draft early and some OL/S depth later

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Milk Man #1936217 03/29/22 03:45 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I really hope Bucky Brooks most recent mock draft is wrong. No QBs in round 1, and several of the players we've discussed for at 44 do go early.

Fiercely Independent.
Bull_Dawg #1936374 03/30/22 01:22 PM
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c...

Milk Man #1936417 03/30/22 03:54 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
There is a good possibility that Kingsley Enagbare is there @44.

imo ... the DL takes priority over WR at this time.

[Linked Image]

Milk Man #1936418 03/30/22 04:05 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
https://www.pff.com/news/draft-ranking-strongest-position-groups-2022-nfl-draft

Strength of position groups in this draft.

1. EDGE
2. LB
3. WR
4. OT
5. CB
6. OL (interior)
7. S
8. DT

(and so on)

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Bull_Dawg #1936497 03/31/22 06:58 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
I really hope Bucky Brooks most recent mock draft is wrong. No QBs in round 1, and several of the players we've discussed for at 44 do go early.

It probably will be. I agree that maybe not as many end up going in the 1st round as is speculated. That could bode well for a Baker trade.

I keep saying we don't have much leverage, and today we probably don't have leverage. As the draft gets closer and teams start to realize that Matt Corral might not be their future, that leverage increases.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #1936956 04/02/22 01:10 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Here is our new draft Picks Available ... I Traded Pick (#44) and Pick (#78) Along With Pick (#223) and Traded Them to the Lions for Pick (#32) to get back into Round #1 to Get that 5th Year Option on the Player We Take in This Case I Couldn't Pass on Jameson Williams WR Alabama, Then I Added Under Rated TE Jeremy Ruckert out of Ohio State, Also I Added DL Help With DT Tyler Davis From Clemson and Nolan Smith DE/OLB From Georgia, and last I added OT/OG Andrew Stueber Out of Michigan, I think a 2nd 3rd and 7th is Not to High a Price for a WR of Williams Caliber ...

Round 1 Pick 32 (DET): Jameson Williams, WR, Alabama (A)
Round 3 Pick 35 (COMP): Jeremy Ruckert, TE, Ohio State (A+)
Round 4 Pick 13: Tyler Davis, DT, Clemson (A+)
Round 6 Pick 23: Nolan Smith, DE/OLB, Georgia (A+)
Round 7 Pick 25: Andrew Stueber, OT/OG, Michigan (A+)

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
bonefish #1937099 04/03/22 01:11 PM
Legend
Legend
There is a little news on Clowney. Sincere interest from both sides has been reported.

IMO it will happen and probably this week.

I am going to assume that. Now what is the impact on the draft? I also believe we will sign a vet receiver. Jarvis? Maybe.

Back to the draft. What player in this draft given the above would have the biggest impact to the team?

I have to believe it would be a run stuffing DT. The reason is the rest of the defensive roster. We have an excellent secondary.

IMO JOK will become the captain of the defense sometime soon. He will also become one of the best players in football. I believe Jocob Phillips is poised to have a good year. He has good reaction speed. Walker is savvy. I am glad he was resigned. Taki is a good role player.

Myles and Clowney worked well together last year. Clowney was disruptive and played with good effort. He benefits from having Myles on the other side.

Togiai and Elliott IMO are rotation guys. We will probably bring back Sheldon Day. He is a decent depth guy. We signed Taven Bryan. I don't know him.

IMO we need a dominant interior run stuffer who can not be moved. A guy to act as interior wall.

It brings me back to Jordan Davis. I know people question his stamina. Question his weight. Question his production at Georgia.

Me, I look at his potential as a NFL player. The Georgia defense was amazing. Many players off that defense will star in the NFL. Some of them will be playing different roles than they did at Georgia. In Davis's case his role in the NFL will be clear cut. Man the middle over 3 gaps. It will allow the DE's freedom. It will support the linebackers and allow them to play in space.

Players with Jordan Davis's potential do not come around often. I believe for the Browns he would have the biggest impact than the others being thought of.

He will be a first round pick. Where? I am uncertain. My guess is 10 to 15. So, we would have to move up to get him.

How Berry would pull it off? That is the hard part. I doubt Berry is keen on giving up draft picks or guys on the roster he built. Only two guys might be able to bring a top 15 pick. Ward or and maybe Hunt with a pick. Berry may not give in to that.

So, if we stay at 44 Travis Jones looks like the guy. He is 6'4.5" 330lbs. His profile is out there to be read. At 44 he seems like decent value. The Browns do not place a high value on interior DL. Given his profile he appears to be a schme fit. He is not Davis. But he may do.

Milk Man #1937100 04/03/22 01:50 PM
All Pro
All Pro
I generally agree on the Travis Jones and Clowney take.

Without a 1st round pick for the next few years premium positions (QB, LT, DE, CB) will not be easily upgraded so getting Clowney back becomes a bit more pressing.

Positions that are more commonly quality on day two (Interior O-line, RB, TE, WR, DT, LB, S) can still be consistently addressed in the draft.
Our interior O-line is fairly well committed as is the RB position and TE overall. That ultimately leaves just WR on offense and either DT or possibly Safety on defense.
Running a heavy 3-safety system while losing Harrison and MJ Stewart could make safety an option, but I'm still leaning either DT or WR.
Then again, if they post-June 1st cut John Johnson next year to create space for Ward's contract maybe safety would work too smile
We'll worry about that next year.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
RedBaron #1937102 04/03/22 02:12 PM
Legend
Legend
This is where Berry and his staff need to make hay.

We will need to maximize the picks outside of the first round. You brought up a point that I also posted about.

The priority positions are pretty set for a few years. The 2-7 rounds should be used to fill out the rest of the roster because that is where the value will be. The first round is QBs, Edge, T's, CB's, WR's.

We need to score some gems in rounds 2-4. After that you are kinda hoping a guy will develop enough to stay on the roster.

Interior linemen on both sides, safety, LB's, RB's, ST's.

We "must" solidify a reliable place kicker.

Milk Man #1937105 04/03/22 03:02 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Speaking only on some Edge and Interior defensive linemen who might be available.

Travis Jones from UConn is a huge man. He also can get after the passer a little bit.

Boye Mafe from Minnesota was excellent at the Senior Bowl and is explosive. He'll probably be gone, though.

Nik Bonitto from Oklahoma is strictly as situational pass rusher, but he is explosive and we all know that guys on the DL shuffle in and out.

Kingsley Enagbare from S. Carolina isn't the best athlete, but he is effective and play hard. He should be available.

Arnold Ebiketie from Penn State did very well in the Big 10 and that conference has some good OTs.

2 members like this: FATE, Ballpeen
bonefish #1937111 04/03/22 03:31 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I really can't see giving up draft assets and/or players to move up into the 1st rnd to draft a guy whose greatest attribute is that he's a good run stuffer when the game has become a Passing league. You can get run stuffers later in the draft and not give up the assets to acquire them. People were upset when we drafted Shelton in the 1st round because you don't draft DTs in the 1st unless they are Aaron Donald/JJ Watt types who can also get after the QB.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
dawg66 #1937114 04/03/22 04:28 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by dawg66
I really can't see giving up draft assets and/or players to move up into the 1st rnd to draft a guy whose greatest attribute is that he's a good run stuffer when the game has become a Passing league. You can get run stuffers later in the draft and not give up the assets to acquire them. People were upset when we drafted Shelton in the 1st round because you don't draft DTs in the 1st unless they are Aaron Donald/JJ Watt types who can also get after the QB.

But when the guy still requires 2 blockers in the passing game, somebody isn't going to get double teamed. If he doesn't get double teamed he is still going to be able to push his guy back towards the QB which takes away the QB stepping up in the pocket, ruining any angle Garrett has created.

Stepping up a few steps gets a OT back in to a blocking position he just lost to Garrett.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
dawg66 #1937119 04/03/22 06:06 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't think we should trade up either. Especially not for Davis.

Milk Man #1937128 04/03/22 07:43 PM
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I do not agree or disagree here.

Davis has the athletic capabilities of Garrett and Clowney. His numbers in college say no. Looking at the talent around him in Georgia and you ask yourself is he a product or contributor to Georgia's defense success.

Here we go again with the lessor position too. The unwritten rule DT is not valued enough over DE. But, if he becomes the next Ted Washington or Aaron Donald, we should have taken the guy!

Some NFL teams drafting in the middle to late first round will land some very good talent. I bet several players drafted in the second round will outdo first-round players. This is going to be a crazy draft class.

bugs #1937129 04/03/22 07:45 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, I'm not arguing or anything. Just giving my opinion and freely admit I haven't done much studying about this draft class, so my opinion probably doesn't amount to much.

Milk Man #1937140 04/03/22 09:56 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This is where character evaluations really come into play.

If Davis says, dang, I'm a pro now, I am going to really put the effort in, to my diet, to my training esp stamina... then he could become an all time great. But if he says, I'm drafted now, I made my millions, I'm going to skate by doing what I've been doing, then he will become at best a 2 down DT equivalent to a guy you could have gotten in round 4, at worst, out of the league in 3 years.

I think this part of player evaluations is by far the most difficult.
Either that or teams tend to overlook and dismiss the red flags.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Milk Man #1937144 04/03/22 11:13 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by bugs
I do not agree or disagree here.

Davis has the athletic capabilities of Garrett and Clowney. His numbers in college say no. Looking at the talent around him in Georgia and you ask yourself is he a product or contributor to Georgia's defense success.

Here we go again with the lessor position too. The unwritten rule DT is not valued enough over DE. But, if he becomes the next Ted Washington or Aaron Donald, we should have taken the guy!

Some NFL teams drafting in the middle to late first round will land some very good talent. I bet several players drafted in the second round will outdo first-round players. This is going to be a crazy draft class.

The thing is Davis has given no indication of being an Aaron Donald type. He had 7 sacks total in 4 years. Donald had two seasons with 11 sacks each at Pitt. Davis had 5TFLs his senior season, Donald had 28.5.

Davis plays like a more linearly athletic, but less technically refined Andrew Billings, but without the upper body strength. (As far as I can tell, Davis didn't bench press at the combine or a pro day, why?) Billings actually had over twice as many sacks as Davis ever did in a season when he came out after his JR year at Baylor, 5.5 vs 2.5. Billings had almost triple the TFLs, 14 vs 5. And Davis had extra games due to the playoffs and conference championship. (14 for Davis, 11 for Billings)

As bad as Billings was for us, I'd have a hard time using a 1st round pick on someone who was less productive coming out of college.

Watching full games, I'm coming to the conclusion he might be the 3rd best DT on his college team. (behind Soph Jalen Carter [#88] to go along with Devonte Wyatt) Davis looks the most physically imposing, but they look like more skilled football players.

For all his athleticism, how wasn't Davis more disruptively productive? No TFLs or sacks in games against UAB and/or Charleston Southern, and I'm supposed to believe he's suddenly going to do it against the pros?

He could, but I'm not betting on it.

Fiercely Independent.
1 member likes this: WSU Willie
dawg66 #1937157 04/04/22 07:31 AM
Legend
Legend
IMO there is more to it than run stuffer.

The North uses the run game.

In addition it is how the player impacts the roles of the players around him. It is about gap control.

If the draft was based upon only college production players would not be drafted where they end up going.

It is about forecasting what a player will become and the role they will be expected to play. NFL GM's look for traits the player has and how they can develop those traits.

Milk Man #1937159 04/04/22 08:04 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Davis was my guy when we were picking #13...moving up from 44 is just a dream so lets forget about Davis.

I mentioned Jones in my thread at 44. Dont count out DeMarvin Leal - He might not have had a good combine but he did well on film

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #1937167 04/04/22 08:59 AM
Legend
Legend
I started to look at this guy from Penn State Arnold Ebiketie.

He should be there or close to #44.

I like his potential as a pass rusher. He is 6'3" around 260.

This guy has a great motor. He never stops on a play. I like his lean and leg power in pass rush. He is powerful with good speed.

I like his potential as a pass rusher. He is a guy who projects well.

bonefish #1937172 04/04/22 09:30 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by bonefish
IMO there is more to it than run stuffer.

The North uses the run game.

In addition it is how the player impacts the roles of the players around him. It is about gap control.

If the draft was based upon only college production players would not be drafted where they end up going.

It is about forecasting what a player will become and the role they will be expected to play. NFL GM's look for traits the player has and how they can develop those traits.

Pittsburgh was the 2nd most pass happy team in the league behind only Tampa Bay last season. Baltimore is run heavy but many of those are Lamar which I don't think Davis would help with. Cinci runs a fair bit, but I'd rather not give them a reason to throw more.

Did Jordan Davis really impact the players around him that much, or was it as much, if not more, about those players being studs on their own?

I know they love to show the with him on the field vs the with him off the field disparity, but when a guy doesn't play on obvious passing downs what do people expect? Plays are generally more explosive when a team is passing.

The whole stop the run on early downs and it's hard for them to throw for longer distances doesn't really hold up when the more successful teams are throwing on 1st down almost 2/3 the time now. Cinci and Pit threw on first down ~63-64% of the time, and even the Ravens were over 50%. link

I don't know that his style of play necessarily translates to the modern NFL. He's a straight ahead player. He doesn't generally get horizontal movement to free up players on stunts. Fortunately for Georgia, the rest of their D swarmed ferociously enough that teams didn't have an opportunity to take advantage of the lanes he frequently left in his wake. It's all too easy for me to see Lamar exploiting those.

If we were to draft him, I'd almost want to line him up outside and have him crash down horizontally with a looper coming around outside him. He just doesn't have the wiggle or finish to really make plays on his own. When his team leaves nowhere else to go for opponents, he can steam roll. I'm not sure that'll happen as frequently (as his stats show it didn't happen that frequently in college, 1 sack every seven games) with the different hashes in the NFL and players more able to make defenders cover every blade of grass. Mashing on linemen he can do. He could likely collapse holes and free up others if his straight line is horizontal.

I'm just not sure he's the best fit for us. I haven't seen us use a lineman in a way I feel he'd be effective. Throw in the how many consecutive effective snaps can he play concern, and I just don't know if he's the choice I would make.

Though I will say the horizontal masher experiment is intriguing. Closing running lanes while keeping Myles clean for pass rush with Clowney setting the opposite edge could be lethal.

Fiercely Independent.
Milk Man #1937178 04/04/22 09:55 AM
All Pro
All Pro
I certainly wouldn't trade up for a 1-tech, so Davis is out. I'm good with Travis Jones at 44, though. There's a good bit more to it than stopping the run.
The human element of trust can compound and create situations where players end up out of position trying to cheat and cover up a weak defensive interior. Suddenly linebackers are caught peaking into the backfield too much, biting on play action, and safeties press in too far. It's a cascading effect that we have seen here before.
Even interior pass rushers generally play better when they have their weaknesses covered up by a big bad next to them (Ogunjobi certainly did smile ).
Though very little of this will ever show up in any production matrix.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
bonefish #1937266 04/04/22 05:10 PM
Legend
Legend
I like this guy.

1 member likes this: Hammer
bonefish #1937267 04/04/22 05:27 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ebiketie is currently #2 for me at the #44 pick. My hope would be that his teammate Johan Dotson would fall. But I doubt Dotson lasts to #44. Should he fall out of the 1st round I would look to trade up for him like we did with JOK - if the price is right. Presuming that doesn't happen then Ebiketie is my next choice (of guys who could reasonably be available).

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Jester #1937270 04/04/22 05:55 PM
Legend
Legend
We still have questions that need to be answered.

Clowney? If we sign him will that change who we would pick at #44?

Jarvis or some other vet receiver? If we sign a vet receiver will that change the pick?

I like Pickens and Ebiketie. Maybe it depends on what we do in free agency?

Berry is a deep planner. He likes options.

I don't know what we will end up doing but I trust Berry

Milk Man #1937281 04/04/22 07:04 PM
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Pdawg #1937288 04/04/22 08:33 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P

I know are we are going to draft a TE, I figure somewhere between Round 3-4 ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Pdawg #1937289 04/04/22 08:42 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I like him, but not until the 3rd round.

[Linked Image]

Milk Man #1937723 04/06/22 05:09 PM
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Pdawg #1937726 04/06/22 05:21 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Treylon Burks could be.

[Linked Image]

Pdawg #1937739 04/06/22 07:01 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Man, I hope we bring Landry back. If not, I hope Skye Moore falls to us.

Pdawg #1937745 04/06/22 08:03 PM
Legend
Legend
Burks was initially a top 15 guy. He was in the conversation as the top receiver.

Then he ran 4.55 at the combine and his stock fell. You do not see 4.55 game speed when you turn on the tape. Powerful guy who is a physical receiver. He catches contested throws. He is hard to handle after the catch. Strong runner. He is 6'3" 225lb.

I don't see him in the second round.

Watson is a lean, tall, real fast guy. He was thought of as a second rounder but then he ran 4.36 and is 6'4" 215. Now he is mocked in the first.

Who knows? Good players to check out.

bonefish #1937746 04/06/22 08:15 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I'm almost assuredly in the minority, but I think fit is a thing in the NFL. I keep reading about guys who are X receivers. We already have those guys in Cooper, DPJ, and Schwartz. We lost Landry. He is a Z receiver. We currently do not have an effective Z receiver on the roster. Z receivers are not as physically gifted as X receivers, thus they don't get the notoriety. However, you need at least one and probably two effective Z receivers. These are the guys that typically go in motion and help the QB read the defense pre-snap. They are also invaluable at exploiting the middle of the field because the secondary often cannot jam them at the LOS like they do w/X and Y receivers.

I think it might be important for some of you to consider fit and need when discussing WRs. I can go into much deeper detail if anyone is interested in learning the intricacies of the positions.

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season 2022 NFL Draft Draft 2.0

Link Copied to Clipboard