Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
[1]I think you need to look up the definition of copious. Your statement falls far short of the definition. One of your own points is based on what one woman reports another woman said. It seems you consider that evidence when a single woman makes an accusation about another woman but not so much when 22 women make similar accusations about one man. but not what the 22 accusers are saying. Then you try to twist an offer of an out of court settlement offer as some type of blackmail. Out of court settlements are offered in most cases, often from both sides all the time. That's not blackmail. So let's not pretend the word copious applies here.

[2]And when it comes to the attorneys involved, once again you are either ignoring the point or purposefully avoiding the point. I'm guessing it's the latter of the two. You see, I have not brought Hardin's character or motives into question here. It's you who have brought Buzbee's up. Your claim is Buzbee takes on high profile cases is so seek fame, attention and money to himself. First let me explain something to you, Hardin is expensive. He isn't someone representing the poor here. So money is a motivator for both of them. And it's disingenuous to claim Buzbee is doing it for fame and attention while ignoring that Hardin has a huge list of famous clients which would garner the exact same results. The list includes Roger Clemens, Adrian Peterson, Joel Osteen, Rudy Tomjanovich, Warren Moon, Wade Boggs, Scottie Pippen, Dow Jones and Exxon Mobil. Hardin actually makes a point at the very beginning of his own web site about the high profile cases he has handled.

Giving one a free pass while attacking the other one for doing the exact same thing is what I've been pointing out. And it's true. Both being highly successful attorney's they have the luxury of selecting their clients and both choose high profile cases. Either the point you've been trying to make works the same for both attorney's or it applies to neither attorney. Make up your mind.

1. You conveniently left the statement you are referring to out of your post. Most likely because the statement I made isn't actually what you're claiming I made. Go figure.
You are ignoring everything that doesn't agree with your version of events. That's a lot, that's many things. That's a copious amount. I didn't give specific examples in the post you are responding to because I've given them in the dozens of other posts on the topic and have linked articles that give dozens more.

That's also not the extortion and blackmail I'm talking about. I'm talking about the recording that you keep claiming isn't relevant because you don't know what's on it. I'll reserve judgment but I will consider the possibility that it could have what is claimed on it. Again, successful lawyers, that have been around for decades, generally don't last by claiming to have evidence that they don't.

2. While defense attorneys can make good money, it's not the same as attorneys that go after class action lawsuits that can net them upwards of 10s of millions of dollars and their clients only get maybe 10s of thousands each. Hardin is what he is. Buzbee wants to be something else. I can't help it if you can't see the difference.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Your double standard between the two attorney's speak for itself. And yes, attorney's try to convince juries all the time that what they call a piece of evidence isn't even close to the claims they make it out to be. Casting doubt in any way they can towards the opposing side is exactly what their job is.

So it's your contention that accusations from watson's lawyers is a "copious amount" of evidence?

abundant in supply or quantity.

I think not.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
One more important point about your attorney comparison. It's pretty well established that both of the attorney's involved here can pick and choose their clients. Both are highly successful in their profession. But here is one distinct difference you see to have chosen to ignore. Buzbee only gets paid IF he wins. The decision as to which clients he chooses to represent are directly tied to him winning his cases. It's in his best interest to only select to represent clients that he has vetted and who have strong cases. It makes no sense for him to take on highly questionable lawsuits because he would lose hundreds of thousands of dollars paying his staff and tying up his time on time consuming cases without a high degree of certainty he stands a very good chance of winning.

By contrast, watson's attorney gets paid regardless of the outcome. So it's true that Buzbee has more to gain IF he wins. It's also true that he gets nothing if he loses. Hardin takes the safe bet. It's a heads I win tails you lose proposition for him.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
NFL Personal Conduct policy allows for it, and the NFLPA will go along with it. It doesn't really require anything more than the Commissioner's decree. Even if the NFLPA protested it, which would be an utterly stupid P.R. move on their part, they can only lodge a complaint/protest, it still comes down the Commish.

There is enough smoke to assume a reasonable chance of a fire here, and that's all that is needed. Had he been conducting himself better, he would not have been doing things that potentially reflect poorly on himself, the NFL, and the NFLPA. I fully expect Goodell to take a stance such as "6 games minimum, further suspensions possible based on any future information that comes out"... and, simultaneously, I expect the league and NFLPA to actively work to repair public opinion and his image while hoping this all fades away quickly, because, let's be honest, the NFL and the NFLPA don't give one little damn about what he did or didn't do. They ONLY care about how it impacts public perception, and thus revenues. It's like Michael Vick where the NFL waged a very active campaign to boost his image when his prison release date was approaching because there were already plans in the works to get him back on the field because he was a marketing dream. Watson is in much the same boat. He represents money, so the league will do whatever they need to give the appearance that "we care about #metoo and the voices of women", then they will get him back on the field selling tickets, concessions, and jerseys.
I agree its about public image, but on the same vein, NFL rarely suspends on civil, i think there's been two, Elliot (who had quite a bit of evidence against him, including a video) and Ben. Ben was suspended for 4 games for alleged rape. So what precedence is there here. Plus with all the racial minefields that come with them suspending a young black man that has been cleared of any criminal charges.. I don't think this is going to break the way some on this board do. I agree the NFL will probably have a plan to rehab his ability to sell merchandise and tickets for them. To me it just seems hard to do anything right now, with both sides agreeing to wait until after the year, (which surprised me). The narrative all season will be this mess. I think both attorneys would have a case to have this expedited rather than pushed back. I'm sure Watson and co are ready to get on with it regardless, and i think as the attorney representing the alleged victims, they would be wanting to use the public perception and fresh in mind opportunities right now. Pushing this back a year is a lifetime in a 24 hour news cycle

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Originally Posted by Floquinho
This is probably something that some of you don’t want to discuss or even think about but in a worst case scenario it’s more then possible that Watson will not being able to play with the Browns in both 2022 and 2023.

The civil law suits are scheduled to be held in Mars 2023. If things go south these law suits can easily continue another year. As it stands the probability that he lose one or even several cases is more then likely. I wouldn’t bet against it with the information we have right now.

There is zero percent chance this happens. Goodell has already stated that Watson will not be put on the Commissioner's Exempt List.

Additionally, the NFL has never suspended a player based on civil suits. See Ben Roethlisberger settling his civil suit in 2012 stemming from the alleged rape in 2008 at a Lake Tahoe hotel as precedent. He was not suspended after settling the lawsuit.

I do not expect the NFL to wait until all the civil suits are either settled or thrown out. This could be years and years from now. I suspect Watson will be suspended 4-6 games and it will be announced over the summer or before training camp.

Originally Posted by leadtheway
I don't see how you can suspend him with no criminal conviction or even charges, and a no resolution to any of the civil cases. The NFLPA would have a field day with that. It would be different if he was already found liable in a couple of them or he settled some. The only way i could see this happening is if they said we are suspending you 6 games period regardless of the outcome of the civil cases with no possible additional suspension related to this case. If that happens, I think he takes the 6 games then immediately starts settling

Both of you ignore all the media storm that comes with these 22 allegations. Whenever Watson set his foot on a football field you can be sure that the discussion will be a lot more then just TD and yards per throw.

The Cleveland Browns biggest fear should be if these women’s attorney and the national media creates so much drama that it make it impossible to let him play. Forget about MKC and all the local media midgets, they’re biased and nobody cares about their opinion enough to make them relevant. It just take one of the major sponsors or partners, to the team or NFL, to cast doubts about the situation and the Browns FO will be in a helpless spot where maybe the decision if he’s going to play or not is suddenly outside their control. Big sponsors is very sensitive when it comes to sexual allegations and if a large amount of women starts to make enough noises and complains then you can be sure there will be some sort of consequences.

Just for the record as a Brown supporter. I want Deshaun Watson to play from a sport perspective (but from a moral standpoint I’m extremely ambivalent) in our first game in 2022 or after a suspension but I’m not blind and stupid. The last couple of years have shown us several cases when large multinational companies and media has way more power to decide what’s right or wrong then the legal system

Last edited by Referee 3; 04/11/22 05:49 PM.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't disagree that there would most likely be a backlash from the BLM movement on a suspension without a conviction. But then I believe if we are to consider that, we must also consider the me too movement. I think that if you believe these social issues will play a part in any NFL decision concerning punishment that the numbers matter. 13.4% of Americans are black. 50.8% of Americans are women.

I know that sounds insensitive but in the grand scheme of things corporations do what tends to serve their own best interests.

As far as agreeing to push the cases down the road that's a two edged sword. It would seem to me that while I understand your points, it also gives watson's attorney a lot more time to investigate the accusers with which they might gather further evidence if any exists. It would also mean that the accusers attorney isn't concerned with watson's attorney finding anything of importance during that time.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by leadtheway
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
NFL Personal Conduct policy allows for it, and the NFLPA will go along with it. It doesn't really require anything more than the Commissioner's decree. Even if the NFLPA protested it, which would be an utterly stupid P.R. move on their part, they can only lodge a complaint/protest, it still comes down the Commish.

There is enough smoke to assume a reasonable chance of a fire here, and that's all that is needed. Had he been conducting himself better, he would not have been doing things that potentially reflect poorly on himself, the NFL, and the NFLPA. I fully expect Goodell to take a stance such as "6 games minimum, further suspensions possible based on any future information that comes out"... and, simultaneously, I expect the league and NFLPA to actively work to repair public opinion and his image while hoping this all fades away quickly, because, let's be honest, the NFL and the NFLPA don't give one little damn about what he did or didn't do. They ONLY care about how it impacts public perception, and thus revenues. It's like Michael Vick where the NFL waged a very active campaign to boost his image when his prison release date was approaching because there were already plans in the works to get him back on the field because he was a marketing dream. Watson is in much the same boat. He represents money, so the league will do whatever they need to give the appearance that "we care about #metoo and the voices of women", then they will get him back on the field selling tickets, concessions, and jerseys.
I agree its about public image, but on the same vein, NFL rarely suspends on civil, i think there's been two, Elliot (who had quite a bit of evidence against him, including a video) and Ben. Ben was suspended for 4 games for alleged rape. So what precedence is there here. Plus with all the racial minefields that come with them suspending a young black man that has been cleared of any criminal charges.. I don't think this is going to break the way some on this board do. I agree the NFL will probably have a plan to rehab his ability to sell merchandise and tickets for them. To me it just seems hard to do anything right now, with both sides agreeing to wait until after the year, (which surprised me). The narrative all season will be this mess. I think both attorneys would have a case to have this expedited rather than pushed back. I'm sure Watson and co are ready to get on with it regardless, and i think as the attorney representing the alleged victims, they would be wanting to use the public perception and fresh in mind opportunities right now. Pushing this back a year is a lifetime in a 24 hour news cycle

Roethlisberger was not suspended for the civil lawsuit stemming from the Lake Tahoe alleged rape in which he settled. He was suspended for the alleged sexual assault/rape at the college bar in Georgia. A civil suit was not filed in that case.

Elliot was suspended for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy on domestic violence. I only recall civil suits against Elliott for a car crash and dog biting. Neither of which he was suspended for.

I cannot find a single example of a player being suspended as a result of civil suits.

Here is the NFL personal conduct policy process:

https://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/pdf/NFL_domestic_violence_policy.pdf

O
Legend
Legend
O
This is probably something that some of you don’t want to discuss or even think about but in a worst case scenario it’s more then possible that Watson will not being able to play with the Browns in both 2022 and 2023.

The civil law suits are scheduled to be held in Mars 2023. If things go south these law suits can easily continue another year. As it stands the probability that he lose one or even several cases is more then likely. I wouldn’t bet against it with the information we have right now.

I say this again. Let these law suits go to court is the absolute worst thing he can do. The only winner in such scenario is his lawyer, everybody else has almost nothing to gain to continue.

The women will get their compensations without being publicly exposed regarding personal life a s o. That’s a win win.

Mr Happy Ending will save two years of his life’s well being by not being anxious and living in uncertainty. He can continue with his NFL career and the price for all this is maybe a few moths of his salary. That’s a slam dunk win if you ever see one.

The Cleveland Browns will have their QB ready to play form day one 2022. Win win win win win win.

The Browns supporters will see one of the best QBs in the league taking a historical underachieving organization probably to new heights. For some of you maybe pride and being right/or wrong is a better option?

The NFL don’t have to deal with sensitive questions and make a decision that will be heavily criticized whatever direction it takes.

The media will after a while drop this subject and sooner or later move on to discuss sports related topics.

It’s a win and win situation all over the place for everyone involved except his lawyer. OK, he will never be fully free from suspicions but what he has done will follow him anyway no matter what he does. If he goes to court he can easily destroy his reputation for a long long time even if he’s guilty or not. Nobody is 100% safe when a case goes to court. That’s the risk you take going to a court house proving your guilt/innocence.

So my fellow Browns supporters.

Some of you don’t agree but if it was you in this situation maybe it’s possible that some of you would think differently? Take your pick. Fight until the end and let your personal life be publicly exposed, discussed in media and maybe in the end convicted both by the court and the public opinion or ……..maybe maybe be smart and move on and accept short term public criticism and some collateral economical damage. For me the decision is easy.

There is also a possibility that he will never play a snap for the browns, but it's low probability at best, just like 90% of the 'what ifs' in the world.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
[1]Your double standard between the two attorney's speak for itself. And yes, attorney's try to convince juries all the time that what they call a piece of evidence isn't even close to the claims they make it out to be. Casting doubt in any way they can towards the opposing side is exactly what their job is.

[2]So it's your contention that accusations from watson's lawyers is a "copious amount" of evidence?

abundant in supply or quantity.

[3]I think not.

1. I judged each individual's potential motives on their own merit. The standard is the same. The actions are different. There you go trying to paint with your broad brush again. All lawyers, all accusers, all people are more complicated than whatever lazy group you try to shoehorn them into.

2. It's a part of the evidence. All the rest has been linked repeatedly and you keep trying to pretend it doesn't exist.

3.You apparently try very hard not to think. In particular, you like to pretend that things you don't agree with don't exist or are irrelevant.

Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
One more important point about your attorney comparison. It's pretty well established that both of the attorney's involved here can pick and choose their clients. Both are highly successful in their profession. But here is one distinct difference you see to have chosen to ignore. Buzbee only gets paid IF he wins. The decision as to which clients he chooses to represent are directly tied to him winning his cases. It's in his best interest to only select to represent clients that he has vetted and who have strong cases. It makes no sense for him to take on highly questionable lawsuits because he would lose hundreds of thousands of dollars paying his staff and tying up his time on time consuming cases without a high degree of certainty he stands a very good chance of winning.

By contrast, watson's attorney gets paid regardless of the outcome. So it's true that Buzbee has more to gain IF he wins. It's also true that he gets nothing if he loses. Hardin takes the safe bet. It's a heads I win tails you lose proposition for him.

I've repeatedly explained how Buzbee could win even if he loses the case. He has plenty of money. He wants political capital. He could get more of both regardless of what actually happened.

Fiercely Independent.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
We are kind of at the mercy of the players, but it's been reported that the first civil case could be heard in July. It's also been reported that each of the 22 civil cases will be heard separately. As I already stated, with the judge's ruling that a list must be provided of every encounter since 2019, I'm betting that the current 22 civil cases is just the beginning. If that total number of encounters is truly 150, how does the NFL, Browns and the fan base handle let's say 50 - 75 civil suits? Once these ladies are exposed, what might have been a desire to just stay out of it suddenly has changed. This will be especially true since the new ladies will be classified as being in one group or the other. That in itself will increase the civil suits just to protect their name and business. This is going to get a whole lot uglier and the press will have a field day with the Browns and Watson.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg

I say this again. Let these law suits go to court is the absolute worst thing he can do. The only winner in such scenario is his lawyer, everybody else has almost nothing to gain to continue.

The women will get their compensations without being publicly exposed regarding personal life a s o. That’s a win win.

Mr Happy Ending will save two years of his life’s well being by not being anxious and living in uncertainty. He can continue with his NFL career and the price for all this is maybe a few moths of his salary. That’s a slam dunk win if you ever see one.

The Cleveland Browns will have their QB ready to play form day one 2022. Win win win win win win.

The Browns supporters will see one of the best QBs in the league taking a historical underachieving organization probably to new heights. For some of you maybe pride and being right/or wrong is a better option?

The NFL don’t have to deal with sensitive questions and make a decision that will be heavily criticized whatever direction it takes.

The media will after a while drop this subject and sooner or later move on to discuss sports related topics.

It’s a win and win situation all over the place for everyone involved except his lawyer. OK, he will never be fully free from suspicions but what he has done will follow him anyway no matter what he does. If he goes to court he can easily destroy his reputation for a long long time even if he’s guilty or not. Nobody is 100% safe when a case goes to court. That’s the risk you take going to a court house proving your guilt/innocence.

So my fellow Browns supporters.

Some of you don’t agree but if it was you in this situation maybe it’s possible that some of you would think differently? Take your pick. Fight until the end and let your personal life be publicly exposed, discussed in media and maybe in the end convicted both by the court and the public opinion or ……..maybe maybe be smart and move on and accept short term public criticism and some collateral economical damage. For me the decision is easy.

There is also a possibility that he will never play a snap for the browns, but it's low probability at best, just like 90% of the 'what ifs' in the world.

Would you be 100% focused on football with 22 civil law suits hovering around your head?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Would you be 100% focused on football with 22 civil law suits hovering around your head?

Is any player ever focused 100% on football? Compartmentalization is something every player has to deal with.

Fiercely Independent.
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg

Is any player ever focused 100% on football? Compartmentalization is something every player has to deal with.

Short answer. YES.
That’s why most successful organization priorities harmony and their players well being. You know the opposite of how the Browns normally operates…

I will only talk from my own experience but I would have serious problems with sleeping, eating, socializing, going out in public places, not to mention being one of the most recognized and talked about sports personality in the country. It would totally kill my motivation and my focus on anything else then getting rid of these allegations. But that’s me, almost 60 years old without any previous serious allegations against me and my family.

When we see more of these 22 women’s side of the story, maybe more female accusers coming forward, probably more interviews with lawyers with polarizing views and not to mention more of women’s perspective where they share similar experience like these 22 women then the public opinion will probably change to the worse.

I can’t honestly see how more exposure and media coverage will favor a man being accused of sexual misbehavior. Is that what we want surrounding our new QB and what we want the Browns to be associated with?

You and Mr Happy have my full admiration if you deal with this as a walk in the park that doesn’t affect your performances the slightest.

Legend
Legend
j/c

We’ve previously gotten the sense from talking to persons with knowledge of the litigation that the cases would be tried one at a time. For 22 trials, that could take most if not all of the 2023 offseason, with one case after another after another after another.

If the part in bold actually plays out this way, it's not good news for watson. Convincing a jury you aren't guilty when you have 22 accusers all testifying at the same time would be overwhelming to a jury. His best option would be to have 22 separate trials and somehow keeping it to a single victim testifying at each trial. The chances of convincing a jury in a one on one scenario would be much easier to do if you can undermine the victims characters enough. Although actually accomplishing that 22 times isn't something rational people believe will happen.

I don't think the part in bold says what you think it says. It wouldn't have 22 accusers testifying at the same time. I agree that separate trials would benefit Watson. You lose the 22 against 1 advantage and can focus on divide and conquer.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
NOPE. I'd be like him though, fighting that ish to prove my innocence.

Legend
Legend
I think that the cases get settled out of court. And I agree, it will be a 6 or so game suspension.. same as Big Ben got.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
1 member likes this: Floquinho
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted by jfanent
j/c

We’ve previously gotten the sense from talking to persons with knowledge of the litigation that the cases would be tried one at a time. For 22 trials, that could take most if not all of the 2023 offseason, with one case after another after another after another.

If the part in bold actually plays out this way, it's not good news for watson. Convincing a jury you aren't guilty when you have 22 accusers all testifying at the same time would be overwhelming to a jury. His best option would be to have 22 separate trials and somehow keeping it to a single victim testifying at each trial. The chances of convincing a jury in a one on one scenario would be much easier to do if you can undermine the victims characters enough. Although actually accomplishing that 22 times isn't something rational people believe will happen.

I don't think the part in bold says what you think it says. It wouldn't have 22 accusers testifying at the same time. I agree that separate trials would benefit Watson. You lose the 22 against 1 advantage and can focus on divide and conquer.

There is also the chance that if the first couple cases go his way, the others may decide it isn't worth continuing. If he loses one though, he could have big trouble with the rest. The first case will be key in the process

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Legend
Legend
It's the NFL... precedent isn't required for anything. The only thing that matters is whether or not the Commish and the owners feel the public needs some form of placating to show "they care". So, for that, I think there will be a suspension.
For the lawyers pushing to next year, well, he stands to earn a LOT more next year than this year, so if any awards or settlements do come out of it and happen to be based on current earnings, next year works better for them.

I don't think the league wants to suspend. I think they're perfectly happy letting him roll from Day 1, but I think they will feel the need to make a show of concern for his conduct. Let's face it, the league and the owners are all a bunch of slimeballs; they aren't doing ANYTHING unless there is a perceived need to address public perception, and they won't see or care about that unless it starts to show up at the cash register. They peddle guys like Watson and Vick and the public goes "wow, look how fast he is, what a GREAT GUY" and everyone goes on with life. They know that this one, like Vick, is a matter of playing the long game, though.... they'll slog through whatever they need to in 2022 with him and reap the payoff in 2023 when it has all gone away.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
You know what I haven't heard or read anywhere as of yet? I haven't heard or read about a single therapist to date that has made a statement that their interaction with Watson was just a normal massage. We have 22 civil complaints saying they were Watson victims and we have 18 that say they pleasured him as expected. That's about 55% victimhood with somewhere around 110 more names to be exposed. At this rate, Watson could be looking at 80 plus civil suits if the trend holds. IMHO, once their names are exposed, the press vultures and lawyers will drag them into this case and it's going to blow up around Watson and the Browns. I also suspect that there will be more lawyers involved because a lot of the new victims will seek out different council. IMHO, the ugly is coming.........

All Pro
All Pro

You have every right and my full admiration that you want to clear your reputation no matter what, but with that being said I think I have a different perspective.

Without being too deep but the simple version is that life is too short to waste on things that don’t gives you joy and harmony. 22 years, 2 months and 9 days ago I had 2 brain hemorrhage’s in a row and nearly lost my life. 8 years of total rehabilitation, 2 years back and forth at a hospital. From one life to another.

In that process I discovered that life is too precious to throw away by doing uncomfortable things that I can avoid.

If Deshaun where my son I would advice him to use some of his money and settle these cases. He’s in the prime time of his life and why jeopardize his future when there is a big chance the odds is stacked against him. Drop pride or whatever we’re fighting to keep. We can never satisfied everyone but we can make sure we tries to live our best life possible. Take away as much pain as possible and stop being anxious.

That’s my advice. Life is worth so much more.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
O
Legend
Legend
O

To his point, this is next level stuff. Whether he's being unjustly accused or he reaping what he's sewn, this is life-altering stuff for him right now. Additionally, it's been reported that Watson is one of those guys that is COMITTED. He was on the field a day after a loss working on a throw.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O

You have every right and my full admiration that you want to clear your reputation no matter what, but with that being said I think I have a different perspective.

Without being too deep but the simple version is that life is too short to waste on things that don’t gives you joy and harmony. 22 years, 2 months and 9 days ago I had 2 brain hemorrhage’s in a row and nearly lost my life. 8 years of total rehabilitation, 2 years back and forth at a hospital. From one life to another.

In that process I discovered that life is too precious to throw away by doing uncomfortable things that I can avoid.

If Deshaun where my son I would advice him to use some of his money and settle these cases. He’s in the prime time of his life and why jeopardize his future when there is a big chance the odds is stacked against him. Drop pride or whatever we’re fighting to keep. We can never satisfied everyone but we can make sure we tries to live our best life possible. Take away as much pain as possible and stop being anxious.

That’s my advice. Life is worth so much more.

The only problem with settling to end the drama is that it will inevitably bring others out who want to cash in. But I get you on the rest.

1 member likes this: Floquinho
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Speaking purely strategically, Watson’s biggest liability in all of this is Watson. I don’t know about any of you but he was, how shall we say,.. less than confidence inspiring in his Browns introductory press conference. He said several things that on their face just really strained any and all credibility. I understand there may be some women in that group that are in a feeding frenzy and I know that he wants to defend himself against some probably dubious claims amongst others that may well not be dubious but as others have pointed out, the sheer volume of the claims and his, frankly speaking, very poor ability to advocate on his own behalf in a convincing and credible fashion makes the specter of drawn out trial(s) a nightmare for everyone excluding the press and the lawyers.

I understand that settling creates an impression of guilt but time is his and the Browns’ true enemy here. The faster he gets it behind him and everyone can change the narrative a little bit the better, period. I really can’t conceive a scenario where he comes out of this smelling ok. Even if every case goes to trial and he wins them all most educated people know that these sorts of cases are stacked against the accuser. Even if he loses some or several of them, his defenders will still rationalize. He and the At this point, baring some massive revelation, few are going to change thier minds. They’re just going to get sufficiently distracted and (he and Browns hope) just let it go.

Not speaking strategically but personally, I’m too old for this. I don’t think if the Browns win the SB next year (which it’ll have to be before the cap sacrifices start come en masse) it would mean nearly as much for me. It would have a big asterisk. The Browns, for all their ineptitude and warts, have always been solidly the good guys in my mind. It’s just very hard to come back to the team after this. I’ll always follow them (as evidenced by my still popping off here on occasion) but I don’t think I can don the jersey. I promise you it’s not virtue signaling or holier than thou stuff, it’s just that I’m too old and know too much about how this usually goes and ok, maybe I do feel a need to hold a Higher standard. There really is more than just winning.

Last edited by 10YrOvernightSuccess; 04/11/22 11:51 PM.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
4 members like this: PitDAWG, Dave, mgh888
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Deshaun Watson’s contract contains exception to “typical club protections” in event of suspension

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...club-protections-in-event-of-suspension/

The delay or pause of hearing any of these cases during the season could spell serious issues for Watson. Watson's guarantee provisions only include suspensions taking place in 2022 and 2023. Of the 22 current civil cases, they are spread across 13 different courts. That number could rise significantly once the list of every massage therapist used since 2019 is exposed. That said, it might not be considered a stretch to think that there still could be criminal charges filed either from the original 22 or any additional discovery or criminal complaints. Another item to consider is some of the other items happening in the NFL currently. The recent league meetings that focused on the NFL having huge issues regarding women working for the teams and being harassed has forced teams to accept new hiring requirements. These rules were created to address the overall treatment of women and the hiring practices. While these new rules are more focused toward the team operation, the overall treatment of women is all inclusive, and Watson has alleged to have treated at least 22 women at this point so bad, they have sued him. Will the NFL make Watson an example of the "new NFL guidelines?"

Watson could be looking at a much longer suspension than many are anticipating.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Thanks. You touched on and covered the introductory press conference more simply Than I could have.... And I was thinking of that this week but didn't know if it was worth raising on this thread . After all, 22 allegations don't prove guilt.... Neither does a weak press conference where DW came across as anything but wholly innocent of any shenanigans. But the idea of seeing more excuses and contrived contrarian explanations sort of had me reluctant to talk about it. I forget what DW responded with when asked about why so many different massage therapists, but the answer was pretty woeful and a deflection. Maybe those that choose to wholly exonerate DW based on a lack of evidence don't care... To me it is one more small pebble tilting the scales in the wrong direction and makes me feel uncomfortable. Once more, on phone. Sorry for typos.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
j/c:

This is pretty interesting. I wonder if the NFL would wait until 2023 to make any decision as well, thus, getting to Watson's base salary which is exponentially more in 2023 than 2022.

Tackles are tackles.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Again what scares me as a Browns fan is not the deal. We gave up a lot... 3 years of 1st round picks.

But if we get a Franchise QB that turns out to be one of the all time greats fine with me. Its the sexual abuses that bothers me. I believe everything I read but as I understand not yet put into evidence is over 20 people who consensually had sex with him falling for his come on. It is said by attorney repping these women with law suits that this is a big turn against DW as it shows he was a predator...sometimes it worked and sometimes he got a flat out NO...just cause he obliged with no means no and did nothing further.
The fact remains he physically put his junk in their hands for them to say no. It wasnt as if he asked and they said no. He had a game to it as if he was picking these women up. Like a friend of mine would ask anyone and everyone he met for a date...most said no but once in a while he got a yes...that is not the same as what DW did...if only he just asked and they said no. He went a step forward and showed the hard on he had and just took it a step forward...if I had a daughter I would be in jail for what I would do to him. So maybe he has to go to jail... then my Browns are in a big mess. Even if everything goes well and he plays..I'm told you still root for the Browns just not him. How in football do you root for a team but not their QB its almost impossible.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Originally Posted by eotab
\ How in football do you root for a team but not their QB its almost impossible.

Vers has been doing it for four years.

1 member likes this: SuperBrown
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted by TrooperDawg
Originally Posted by eotab
\ How in football do you root for a team but not their QB its almost impossible.

Vers has been doing it for four years.

That was his personal problem if he did so. It is not the same cause we aren't talking about a kid 21 years old who celebrated their 21st birthday drinking and ran from cops as a drunk kid would. Not the same as what DW did. So if he hated Baker for that...I doubt it if anything he hated Baker for planting the flag after beating his Ohio State team.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
Legend
Legend
M
This is pretty interesting. I wonder if the NFL would wait until 2023 to make any decision as well, thus, getting to Watson's base salary which is exponentially more in 2023 than 2022.

Doubtful. The NFL will issue their decision once they conclude their criminal investigation which I expect will be before the season starts and issue any suspension at this time. My guess is 4-6 games.

The NFL doesn't really care about civil suits as they have never suspended a player based on a civil suit.

Also, while these civil suits will not start until after the season they could take two, three, four, five years to resolve. For example, Roehtlisberger's civil suit stemming from the 2008 Lake Tahoe alleged rape did not settle until 2012. Four years later....and that was one case. These are expected to be 22 separate cases....it could be years and years before all cases are ever resolved.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Just throwing this out there...

97% of Civil cases are Settled. 97%!!!!! So out of the "roughly" 288K civil cases every year...less than 9K ever make it to the end of the trial.

That does not sound like the deck is stacked against the Accusers. In a criminal trial, yes the deck can be/is stacked against them. But not a civil case. And that doesn't sound like much risk on the side of Buzbee about getting paid "only if he wins"....Because a settlement is a "win". That is the sad state of our legal system that is supposed to be fair in both instances.

They are going to get something. In some cases that may be just and or warranted. And in some cases it won't....Either way, Buzbee is going to get a whole lot more...NOT including any political gain from the publicity which is more important and valuable to Buzbee than the money. So lets stop with the altruism being thrown at Buzbee.

Regardless of the outcome of these trials...be it settlement, in favor of the plaintiffs, or in favor of the defendant...The stigma and social ostracization will follow Watson for the rest of his life...Even if he fights this to the end and wins every case...Buzbee knows this, counts on it, and preys upon it.

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c,

I really loathe self-righteous people, who proclaim their moral superiority in their premature judgement of others.

[Linked Image]

2 members like this: Rishuz, jfanent
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted by 10YrOvernightSuccess
Speaking purely strategically, Watson’s biggest liability in all of this is Watson. I don’t know about any of you but he was, how shall we say,.. less than confidence inspiring in his Browns introductory press conference. He said several things that on their face just really strained any and all credibility. I understand there may be some women in that group that are in a feeding frenzy and I know that he wants to defend himself against some probably dubious claims amongst others that may well not be dubious but as others have pointed out, the sheer volume of the claims and his, frankly speaking, very poor ability to advocate on his own behalf in a convincing and credible fashion makes the specter of drawn out trial(s) a nightmare for everyone excluding the press and the lawyers.

I understand that settling creates an impression of guilt but time is his and the Browns’ true enemy here. The faster he gets it behind him and everyone can change the narrative a little bit the better, period. I really can’t conceive a scenario where he comes out of this smelling ok. Even if every case goes to trial and he wins them all most educated people know that these sorts of cases are stacked against the accuser. Even if he loses some or several of them, his defenders will still rationalize. He and the At this point, baring some massive revelation, few are going to change thier minds. They’re just going to get sufficiently distracted and (he and Browns hope) just let it go.

Not speaking strategically but personally, I’m too old for this. I don’t think if the Browns win the SB next year (which it’ll have to be before the cap sacrifices start come en masse) it would mean nearly as much for me. It would have a big asterisk. The Browns, for all their ineptitude and warts, have always been solidly the good guys in my mind. It’s just very hard to come back to the team after this. I’ll always follow them (as evidenced by my still popping off here on occasion) but I don’t think I can don the jersey. I promise you it’s not virtue signaling or holier than thou stuff, it’s just that I’m too old and know too much about how this usually goes and ok, maybe I do feel a need to hold a Higher standard. There really is more than just winning.

I feel very conflicted by recent events with the Browns. Like you, I'll still watch, but I doubt I'll care very much about the outcome. I even realize there's a "flaw" in my approach to my fandom. Its probably naive as hell, but I kind of need to like a player to root for them. Maybe it was willful ignorance up until now, but I can't get past this guy's alleged behavior. If people want to call that virtue signaling, or me being on my high horse, I don't care. Where is it written that we check our ethics at the door to be a Browns' fan?

1 member likes this: Clemdawg
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg
j/c,

I really loathe self-righteous people, who proclaim their moral superiority in their premature judgement of others.

Then you came to the right thread!

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O
I disagree. If he plays as well as he has, he'll get the Ray Lewis/Big Ben treatment (plus he'll be given the pedestal the QB that brought Cleveland out of the basement).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by oobernoober
I disagree. If he plays as well as he has, he'll get the Ray Lewis/Big Ben treatment (plus he'll be given the pedestal the QB that brought Cleveland out of the basement).

100%. As soon as winning starts, for the majority, all is forgotten/forgiven regardless of whether that is right or wrong. Winning in the NFL cures all.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg
j/c,

Then you came to the right thread!

It's a much better option to conclude that 22 women are all lying and must be scum. You have 22 he said/she said cases. People claiming "they're waiting to see the evidence" already have the evidence. There is no physical evidence. There are the word of 22 women against the word of watson. It seems you equate moral superiority as expecting a man not be a sexual predator. Of rubbing your penis on women. That's expecting someone to be a decent human being. It doesn't take moral superiority to expect that.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
1. I judged each individual's potential motives on their own merit. The standard is the same. The actions are different. There you go trying to paint with your broad brush again. All lawyers, all accusers, all people are more complicated than whatever lazy group you try to shoehorn them into.

The "lazy group" would be attorneys who don't try to portray those suing their client in a bad light. And no, that isn't complicated at all. It's not my fault you have no idea how any of this works. Claiming Buzbee doesn't care if he wins or loses makes no sense unless you script a very far fetched scenario that makes no sense. Which you managed to do. Yet refuse to address that the other attorney is an 80 year old man who gets paid no matter the outcome and has built his fame on famous clients that garnered him attention and headlines exactly like Buzbee has done.

2. It's a part of the evidence. All the rest has been linked repeatedly and you keep trying to pretend it doesn't exist

Reporting the exact same accusation over and over again doesn't give it any more credibility than when it was said the first time. Taking the word of what one woman said over the word of another is you doing the exact same thing you are accusing me of. Only with me it's 22 women. And as far as the context of some tape, of course an attorney will try to twist that into the most damning piece of evidence he can. The only thing being reported is what Hardin claims in the context of that tape. Nothing more.

3.You apparently try very hard not to think. In particular, you like to pretend that things you don't agree with don't exist or are irrelevant.

Coming from you that's hilarious.

#gmstrong
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Deshaun Watson Continued.....

Link Copied to Clipboard