Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
What the hell did you expect after the sheet show Trump put on? Four years of massive deficit spending and tax cuts for the rich did nothing to cause this, huh? Shutting down the country for the pandemic had nothing to do with it. The pandemic itself had nothing to do with it. Putin's war has nothing to do with it. GOPers are still clutching their pearls over crap started by them… FAKE PEOPLE.

stop blaming trump.

Biden is actually to blame on this one - they told him not to send out more stimmy Biden Bucks because they said it would cause massive inflation. He did it anyway.

He also has had 1.5 years to fix this. it's not like they didn't warn him it was coming.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
P
Legend
Legend
P
So while both of them handed out stimulus checks, both gave out federal unemployment, both spent like drunken sailors, the combined policies of both didn't contribute to the situation?

Now that's a novel idea. You see, I'm not trying to portray that either one is the good guy and the other is the bad guy in terms of the economy we are seeing today. They both bear responsibility. But trying to say that they both did the same thing in terms of reckless spending but only one is responsible as to the results of it is fools gold.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Republicans get in power and try to destroy democracy and it's all good, Dems come back in for yet another clean up in aisle dumbass, and we are to blame… typical GOPerism.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 04/12/22 02:41 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
What the hell did you expect after the sheet show Trump put on? Four years of massive deficit spending and tax cuts for the rich did nothing to cause this, huh? Shutting down the country for the pandemic had nothing to do with it. The pandemic itself had nothing to do with it. Putin's war has nothing to do with it. GOPers are still clutching their pearls over crap started by them… FAKE PEOPLE.

stop blaming trump.

Biden is actually to blame on this one - they told him not to send out more stimmy Biden Bucks because they said it would cause massive inflation. He did it anyway.

He also has had 1.5 years to fix this. it's not like they didn't warn him it was coming.

Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg has had 1.5 years to simply fix the supply chain problem and NADA.

You can't rush these people as they are slow. notallthere

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
So while both of them handed out stimulus checks, both gave out federal unemployment, both spent like drunken sailors, the combined policies of both didn't contribute to the situation?

Now that's a novel idea. You see, I'm not trying to portray that either one is the good guy and the other is the bad guy in terms of the economy we are seeing today. They both bear responsibility. But trying to say that they both did the same thing in terms of reckless spending but only one is responsible as to the results of it is fools gold.

I agree with you. the only difference is the timing of when they gave them out. Trump literally had no choice - everything closed.

It feels like Biden did it to give out more free cash and it felt like to push through a few agendas and buy ratings. Heck, he even tried to kick out a 3rd round of Biden Bucks.

Thankfully, it was shot down by both parties after they started to see the errors of their ways.

We are in for one heck of a bumpy ride.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Republicans get in power and try to destroy democracy and it's all good, Dems come back in for yet another clean up in aisle dumbass, and we are to blame… typical GOPerism.

It's clearly the other way. Dems get in office and do a lot of social spending. Conservatives get voted in to make cuts and clean up the mess - Rinse/Repeat.

Legend
Legend
Clearly.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
When did Republicans cut spending?

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O

It's clearly the other way. Dems get in office and do a lot of social spending. Conservatives get voted in to make cuts and clean up the mess - Rinse/Repeat.
Originally Posted by 40YEARSWAITING
Clearly.
Originally Posted by dawglover05

rofl

DL05, never. That's one of those alt-facts.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by dawglover05

they cut taxes and let the free market work out prices with the competition and deregulation.

As budgets grow, spending will always increase.

M
Legend
Legend
M
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/21/opinion/us-economy-inflation-europe.html

A really good read if anyone actually wants to read and learn something. It's a useful article because it examines and looks at areas of inflation that differ between EU and the USA. Those ignorant Trumpians thumping their chest that the record inflation is all Biden while ignoring the 6% inflation in Europe are simply delusional and ignoring factual data.... those that want to look at why the USA has inflation that is higher than EU would be interested in the article.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
1. So that’s the rub, right? Increase the budget and the spending and decrease the revenue. Still an increase in spending. Not exactly a great thing, IMO.

2. I’ve seen zero evidence of competition increasing and deregulation, or at least beneficial deregulation. I say that because I am actually a huge proponent of competition, and also an advocate of deregulation - with reasonable guard rails. With the Republicans reverse anti-trust stance, I’ve seen competition wane with the overwhelming amount of M&As and buyouts occurring. That’s why we only have essentially one large scale domestic commercial aircraft manufacturer, and also likely why they do such a crappy job with both their commercial and military products.

Most of the deregulation I have seen is for the mega businesses to stay mega to you increase their “mega.” That’s not just on the Republicans, but a shared culpability of both party elites, from what I can see. If you look at some of the National Defense Authorization Acts, for instance, it’s easy to see from things like changes to the Small Business Innovative Research program that the big money lobbyists have created a double edged sword to provide leverage in our laws for bigger businesses to keep their share of the pie and either buy out or push out emerging competition from the small business ranks. Like trying to plant grass seed in an area full of weeds. To me - and I don’t see either party doing this - the deregulation should be tailored to increase the competition to make it easier for small businesses to grow, and either create their own market niches or provide adequate competition to Megacorp. On the flip side, when Megacorp makes blatantly stupid financial decisions (thinking 2008 here), they shouldn’t be able to publicize their losses either, like Swish says. I think everyone needs to have skin in the game to know they have to work hard to be competitive.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I agree with you. the only difference is the timing of when they gave them out. Trump literally had no choice - everything closed.

You may wish to go back and look at the job numbers and the situation businesses, especially small businesses were in before claiming things were better when the second stimulus package came out.

It feels like Biden did it to give out more free cash and it felt like to push through a few agendas and buy ratings.

I think the parts I put in bold help explain a lot.

We are in for one heck of a bumpy ride.

Here we agree. I'm just not going to allow my feelings to dictate the facts of how we got here. I'm fully aware both presidents spent like drunken sailors and not just when it comes to stimulus packages.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P

A conservative would try to do that. Sadly you haven't been electing conservatives as president for quite some time now. What you have been electing is someone who spends just like democrats only on different things. Both parties now cater to their base in spending and there's nothing conservative about it.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Wow... so first it's Putin's problem... then it's greg abott... now we're back to blaming trump for inflation...

come on... it can't be the trillion of dollars our friggin government has printed in the last year... what is it? 40% of the US currency in circulation was printed in the last year....

I understand that we have ridiculous inflation... of course we do! We printed a [censored] load of money... I wish our politicians would just be honest about it and say... yep... we've got massive inflation because we did our best to bolster the economy during covid...

<><

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
But I don't think it had crap to do with what they gave regular people. It has to do with all the corp bailouts, stuffing the Stock Market with a few trillion over the last several years, and not holding corps accountable for price gouging. 99% of the money that went to desperate people was immediately put back into the economy, that's why it was booming. And GOPers always wail about dem spending, but they spend MORE than dems when they are in power. Cutting taxes on the rich and corps always ends up becoming a burden on the middle class. ALWAYS. And what do the big corps do after numerous bailouts, all the money pumped into the stock market to prop it up, tax cut after tax cut, and every other advantage a company could have? They price gouge. They whine that working people who could barely make it and demanded raises aren't showing up for crappy jobs. Not only that, but they don't give a damn about working people, just the bottom line AND investors.

Anybody trying to put this on ONE party or ONE politician is NUTS. This is corporate greed in a capitalist system verging on Oligarchy, plain and simple. And GOPer reps are probably up to their eyeballs helping to make sure this inflation happens with their corporate buddies, just to point the finger at Biden and dems. I 100% can see Trumpian GOPers doing ANYTHING to try to regain power.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Anybody trying to put this on ONE party or ONE politician is NUTS. .

And yet, that's exactly what you do: Blame 1 party. 2 faced is becoming of you.

B
Legend
Legend
B
It doesn't matter. The results speak for themself and the results at the polls will do the same. Voters understand failure.
Right now, the Dems own it.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: Day of the Dawg
F
Legend
Legend
F
Most voters are uneducated on the issues and candidates they are voting for, and they basically vote like the Christmas treeing of a multiple choice test

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
O
Legend
Legend
O
If there was no party designations on the ballots, 95% wouldn't know who to vote for.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 04/14/22 09:20 PM.

1 member likes this: GMdawg
B
Legend
Legend
B
If there was no party designations on the ballots, 95% wouldn't know who to vote for.

If true, and I don't totally disagree except for maybe the percentage you mention, that brings up the question of should those people even be allowed to vote?

I mean seriously, if a person has no clue about who they are voting for, or are simply voting a party line, is that being a concerned citizen? Is that helping the country?

I say not.

You are a fairly balanced guy and know I am not trying to keep segments of the country from being able to vote, but some will take it that way, so maybe a little help when that happens?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Would that also apply to the people who believe every American who doesn't think like themselves is a communist?

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Would that also apply to the people who believe every American who doesn't think like themselves is a communist?

Couldn't wait to pounce on that one, huh? lol, smh

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
P
Legend
Legend
P
As Linda Ronstadt would sing, "It's So Easy".

#gmstrong
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
But I don't think it had crap to do with what they gave regular people. It has to do with all the corp bailouts, stuffing the Stock Market with a few trillion over the last several years, and not holding corps accountable for price gouging. 99% of the money that went to desperate people was immediately put back into the economy, that's why it was booming. And GOPers always wail about dem spending, but they spend MORE than dems when they are in power. Cutting taxes on the rich and corps always ends up becoming a burden on the middle class. ALWAYS. And what do the big corps do after numerous bailouts, all the money pumped into the stock market to prop it up, tax cut after tax cut, and every other advantage a company could have? They price gouge. They whine that working people who could barely make it and demanded raises aren't showing up for crappy jobs. Not only that, but they don't give a damn about working people, just the bottom line AND investors.

The middle class spending the money that was printed off absolutely contributed to inflation. It created additional demand on an already strained supply chain. High demand, low supply leads to higher prices. It's the supply and demand concept that liberals can't seem to grasp. As long as the government wants to keep printing off money, we're going to see inflation keep going up.

Anybody trying to put this on ONE party or ONE politician is NUTS.

Yet you did that exact thing in your next sentence.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

If true, and I don't totally disagree except for maybe the percentage you mention, that brings up the question of should those people even be allowed to vote?

I mean seriously, if a person has no clue about who they are voting for, or are simply voting a party line, is that being a concerned citizen? Is that helping the country?

I say not.

You are a fairly balanced guy and know I am not trying to keep segments of the country from being able to vote, but some will take it that way, so maybe a little help when that happens?

I get what you are saying. And I bet that percentage is close. When you go vote, even if just in Presidential cycles, you pull the lever for local and state reps that you have probably never heard of. The average American can tell you who is president, but often struggle with naming the VP, Speaker of the house, or majority/minority leaders in the Senate. Some know their Governor's name, but not the LT. Gov., SOS, AG, or other state level reps. And almost NOBODY knows judges beyond the local level. SO I think 95% is right in the ball park.

Now obviously, I wouldn't want somebody blocked from voting for not knowing the names of all their reps. But if you can't form coherent sentences, then you are probably clueless on issues. And if all you do is listen to ridiculous political propaganda, day in and out, you are probably more harmful to our system than somebody who doesn't vote at all. I mean some of these Q people say crap that no adult should believe. How do you stop that and still be fair to voters? I think everyone should have the right to vote, but there should damn sure be some sort of checks and balances. I fully expect a very large number of people to support Trump in 24, and this guy planned and executed an insurrection, is in bed with Putin, tells lie after provable lie. I can't think of a more un-American candidate ever, yet he will have millions supporting and voting for him. And this is a large part of why we are so divided. People don't act like we are one country anymore. Some dumbasses think we are the Red United States and Blue United States, not just one United States. We find it hard to agree on even the most common facts, have no issue hating each other over politics (to the point of murder). Many don't seem to care how history will view us, have give up/quit on all our institutions and norms, have zero loyalty to the greater idea of America.

And these younger generations weren't here for America's wonder years from the 50s to the 90s. We now look like an empire in decay. People are losing faith in capitalism, the government, and their fellow Americans. I don't blame them, because I pretty much feel the same. Most of the youngest voters have never seen America truly 'united'. The last time I saw it was the days and weeks post 911. They don't know what it felt like watching the moon landing, civil rights marches, women's lib movement, or many of the things that made us great to begin with. Half of the country is dumb as a stump when it comes to history, even recent history. If you don't know who you are, what brought you here, where you come from, or what can happen if you make the wrong choices; well, you are going to do things the way you think they should be done. Inevitably, this uneducated approach to life (“I got this”, “hold my beer”, “Don't trust the experts or their so-called facts/then google research it”) is a recipe for disaster of epic proportions. Yet, other than the 50s-80s, when were Americans ever well educated? When did the voting populace ever have a great grip on the facts, issues, or really know their reps at all levels?

As a kid in the 60s-80s, I remember young people having a hunger to learn. Without the internet, we had the library, our elders/peers, magazines like Popular Science, Popular Mechanics, National Geographic. etc. Community college was cheap, we tinkered more because our faces were not constantly watching a screen. We just had more life experience and a more well rounded basic education in general as we entered adulthood. I think this mostly because we got out and experienced more. I'm not talking about higher education, just K-12 and the underlying desire to self educate. We also navigated more in the way of pitfalls and dangers. So much has changed to protect people from even the slightest of offenses that the younger generation wants to delete you if you don't meet their expectations of what is acceptable. WTH? We can't even accept different generational experiences.

So I don't think there is a way to fix what's going on. I don't think there is a way to regulate voting to keep the uneducated from hurting us as a country. And I certainly don't see anything or anyone 'making America great again', anytime soon. I feel sorry for our grandchildren and great grandchildren, they will have to fix all the crap we've allowed to be broken, or start over from scratch.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Naa...just clueless.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

I say not.

Geez Peen, that voting along party lines thing is EXACTLY what Trump and his minions demand... Along with total loyalty to a man that lies constantly.

You may not being trying to keep segments of the country from being able to vote... I mean not you personally... But your party sure as hell is. Those of you in the Republican party that don't feel Gerrymandering is right need to stand up and say so.

Last edited by Damanshot; 04/15/22 05:59 PM.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Damanshot

I say not.

Geez Peen, that voting along party lines thing is EXACTLY what Trump and his minions demand... Along with total loyalty to a man that lies constantly.

You may not being trying to keep segments of the country from being able to vote... I mean not you personally... But your party sure as hell is. Those of you in the Republican party that don't feel Gerrymandering is right need to stand up and say so.

So it isn't right to Gerrymander districts that have been gerrymandered against them?

My point is that has been going on for a long time. I know it was going on in England long before we were a country. They had what were called rotten boroughs. It carried over to here. Manipulating voting districts has happened every election and census cycle since elections began.
You are a smart guy. Don't make it sound like this is a phenomenon that just started during the Trump years.

Is it right or wrong? There are good reasons why it happens and bad reasons why it happens.

And no, I don't think anybody is trying to keep people from voting. People have a multitude of opportunities to vote.

You are old enough to remember when voting day was voting day. That was it. That was the day. Now it is the month, or at least the several weeks a person can vote. The only real push I see it to require a vaild ID, I agree with that.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Naa...just clueless.

I agree. People who think that way are clueless. I guess permitting the clueless to vote must be okay then?

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
I nearly posted this the other day....

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/redistricting-2022-maps/?cid=rrpromo

Nationally it looks like redistricting might net the Dems a handful of seats (4 by the estimate of this article.).

Bottom line is it needs and should stop. Whether it benefits once side or the other - whether it was started in Britain 1000 years ago or not - it is not beneficial or productive today. Set the districts and live with them.

O
Legend
Legend
O

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 04/16/22 10:53 PM.

O
Legend
Legend
O

O
Legend
Legend
O
Big dip in the markets today. Fed raising rates triggered a selloff? Or is this something else?

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
jc

i have a rule, and maybe i'm part of the fringe, i dunno. but how trash would it be for me to be out here crying about gas prices with a twin turbo V8?

i want to be clear here: i feel for every american out here hurting. the inflation is out of control, and these corporations raised prices just because they could. but for the love of god, *specifically* dudes with the lifted diesel/gas trucks really need to shut up. i can't stand them anymore. nobody told you to life the truck 3-6 inches, mod the exhaust and get those tacky ass spacers on the wheels. you did that. gas for your ride was already expensive, and you decided to live that lifestyle anyway.

just needed to vent.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
A
Legend
Legend
A
It's not JUST gas prices.

Food prices have and are rising. We're being told to prepare for those to go even higher. Even shortages.

Farmers seed prices and fertilizer prices going up.

Rent going up.

Price of new and used vehicles sky rocketing, and insurance going up as well, auto or home.

Cost of lumber? have you checked it out?

Literally, cost of EVERYTHING rising. And markets/stocks etc, shrinking.

Labor? Up. Still can't fill jobs. (I wonder what those not working do for income)

Lawn care, if, unlike me, you don't do it yourself. (most often the best part of my day)

Repair bills? Cost of appliances, IF they're even available? Unreal. We've had a refrigerator ordered since Christmas - granted, it's a special model they just aren't making.

Those people, and I know so, so many, that have 2 vehicle payments, a new pool payment, the place at the lake payment, the r.v. payment that they just bought, the whole "keep up with the Jones's people - many are going to default.

The next year, 2? will be interesting. To say the least.

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
Those people, and I know so, so many, that have 2 vehicle payments, a new pool payment, the place at the lake payment, the r.v. payment that they just bought, the whole "keep up with the Jones's people - many are going to default.

and this is the thing. there's nothing wrong with wanting nice things, but too many people overextend themselves for luxury items, and that's stupid. all those monthly payments add up.

again, i feel bad for the overall market and population, but we have a very significant % of people in this country whining about their overextended lifestyle being effected. the pandemic era has really exposed some people's budgeting skills, or lack thereof.

then if you are a single dude and no kids....bruh what are they whining about? they could have two jobs on rotation right now and be balling. we can have the argument about wage suppression while ALSO working those jobs. there's a lot of young single men doing absolutely nothing, and its the entire country regardless of demographic.

and we're not even talking about hard manual labor jobs. everything is open. but we have lower birth rates, higher suicides, can't keep the talent level filled for these medium/high skilled position, or dudes don't want to get sober for a whole 2 months to pass a drug test and be done with it.

i can't even say all americans because the women are out here doing their thing. these dudes man.....

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
There's no reason to work since Biden became President.

As soon as he declared war on oil, fracking and pipelines, I took profits in my stocks and rolled it all into Oil, Gas, and Pipeline companies.

Still riding that pony to the bank.

Go Joe go! thumbsup

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by 40YEARSWAITING
There's no reason to work since Biden became President.

As soon as he declared war on oil, fracking and pipelines, I took profits in my stocks and rolled it all into Oil, Gas, and Pipeline companies.

Still riding that pony to the bank.

Go Joe go! thumbsup

For a poster that constantly stated the Obama economy was trash - when in fact it was as good or better than the Trump economy ... I have a large slice of skepticism over your claims of beating the market at any level at any time. In fact that goes for 99% of investors.

Legend
Legend
Making money during the Obama years was not bad.

It was super easy during the Trump era. Tax cuts grew business.

With Biden it takes more thought. The guy has screwed up everything he ever touched for 40 years.

The secret to investing with him has been to sell stocks and bonds while only investing in things,
when dropped on your foot, hurt.

As to whether or not you believe me, pfft.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Sigh…the economy

Link Copied to Clipboard