Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
jc...

Only QB to lead his team, the Cleveland Browns, to a playoff victory since the Browns returned to the NFL in 1999....who was that ?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by mac
jc...

Only QB to lead his team, the Cleveland Browns, to a playoff victory since the Browns returned to the NFL in 1999....who was that ?

One might argue it was Ben... rofl

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by mac
jc...

So, when the Browns win it was Baker who led the team to victory and when they lose it was because of his supporting cast. And you dare to say I have an "agenda?"

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by FrankZ
Originally Posted by mac
jc...

Oh hell nah! saywhat Where's the puke emoji Purp?!?!?

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
I should have never mentioned Baker in this thread. He has been discussed to death.

All I said because it may influence other things like the draft and free agency is:

"What would be the narrative if he didn't play last year?" Not who he is or how he played or any thing else really.

If he didn't play. IMO the Browns still would have gone after Watson. Baker's market value would be different. Period.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
You have "no other options" when you created a problem with $18.9 million of cap space.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
You have "no other options" when you created a problem with $18.9 million of cap space.

I still don't understand why people are claiming what transpired with w/ Mayfield after the Watson deal and other NFL trades means we definitely have "no other options" and it's a problem created by the FO. But I'm happy to hear more....I just don't buy what's been said already.

The bottom line is the team seemingly upgraded on Baker, and hopefully long-term. That's not a problem. That's a good thing and the residual effect of Mayfield's contract or any sort of collateral issues from Baker resulting from getting Watson pale in comparison to a transaction to get a legit fQB. In the NFL climate these days, having a legit franchise QB is what gets you sustainable success and a chance to win it all, obviously. The days of Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Nick Foles leading your team to the Super Bowl is less and less likely in the current climate.

And no other options? How does anyone know this? Creative NFL deals (especially by the Browns in recent years) can, and do, happen. I think this might mean taking on some money or a contract a team doesn't want, but there could be a myriad of different ways this FO of Berry & DePodesta are looking at to get some value. It's funny when people here (and in the NFL space) couldn't comprehend the brilliance of the Osweiler trade a few year years back simply because it was never done before. This notion that nothing can be done seems like a crock of BS, frankly.

If Watson continues his path as a player, having Mayfield currently on the roster or his contract most likely a portion of (considering the abundance of space the team has) means next to nothing.

Tackles are tackles.
3 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, Milk Man, Rishuz
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
The team is "stuck" with Baker and his contract right now. If they trade him tonight, they "should" have more $$$ to sign other players - more money available tomorrow than the amount of money they have available this afternoon. That is simply undeniable. Whether that it is hindering them in getting guys signed? Anyone's guess.

I'm not comfortable with the lack of FAs brought in when we have starter-level needs at DT x 2, DE and #2WR and no 1st Rd pick. If we have plenty of $$$ (which reportedly we do)...what is holding up the filling of those needs? I'm not saying that such is due to lack of cap space...but the cap DOES have to be managed/manipulated...and 18.9 million is rotting on the shelf right now.

Lastly, the teams that best-manage the cap use "unused" $$$ to create space for the next year. As long as Baker is on the payroll, there is less money available to do that...also undeniable.

Getting a legit NFL franchise QB is imperative...another undeniable point. Now that we are certain that we have one, I'd like to see some FA signings and spend what we have to spend to get this roster at least 22 legit starters. We still don't have that.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Sounds like Berry is asleep at the wheel.

Legend
Legend
Rip Van Winkle.

I am sure Berry has given it no thought.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I am almost 100% positive that Rish was being facetious.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by Rishuz
Sounds like Berry is asleep at the wheel.

I'd feel better if he were...because how this has been handled has been a disaster. Very anti-Berry like actually.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't think Berry is asleep at the wheel at all. The concept of where we are, the consequences that would be created when trading for watson were clear going into the deal. Baker already had his contract guarantee before the trade was made. This FO was already fully aware that watson and Baker would not be able to coexist on the same roster or on the sideline together. This wasn't some mysterious development they weren't unaware of going into this trade. They knew that every NFL team in the league was fully aware of the precarious situation this would put the Browns in with regards to Baker.

The odds of us being the team that would end up with watson or say Wilson wasn't something the Browns could count on happening at the time the fifth year option signing deadline had arrived. As such the Browns needed to extend that option on Baker or risk having no QB going into 2022. I don't see any logical way the Browns didn't feel compelled to sign Baker to that fifth year option at that point in time. When they decided to enter into the watson bidding war sweepstakes, they were fully aware of all these factors. They knew it would put them at a disadvantage trying to move Baker. They knew the NFL understood the Browns had no choice but move Baker. They also knew that would make it difficult at best to get any type of leverage in getting good value for Baker.

No, nobody was asleep at the wheel. They made the decision that taking a bargain basement deal to move Baker was a part of what would go along with trading for watson. It was a cost that was already factored into the deal for watson when they made it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I think we already have a handshake deal for Clowney and maybe for Fuller. Berry is no dummy...he knows better than we do about the holes on his roster.

Legend
Legend
IMO we have to be patient.

See how things play out. There are lots of layers to all of this.

Check back after the draft is over. What does the roster look like then?

Free agency is still in play. There are players on the roster who could get traded during the draft.

The Murray thing will be worth keeping an eye on. If he forces is way off the roster maybe Kingsbury will have an interest in Baker.

When it comes to the roster. You either believe in Berry or you don't. Not every decision is going to work. That's the NFL. But I like the logic of Berry and how he has built the team. I believe we have a very good core of talent.

Getting Watson and taking on that contract will be a challenge. But you pay to play. The heavyweights cost big money.

Berry will have to find talent outside of round one for two more years. I believe he will.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by FrankZ
Originally Posted by mac
jc...

Well that argument would be clearly wrong because words have meanings including the above words "his team, the Cleveland Browns,".

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted by bonefish
IMO we have to be patient.

See how things play out. There are lots of layers to all of this.

Check back after the draft is over. What does the roster look like then?

Free agency is still in play. There are players on the roster who could get traded during the draft.

The Murray thing will be worth keeping an eye on. If he forces is way off the roster maybe Kingsbury will have an interest in Baker.

When it comes to the roster. You either believe in Berry or you don't. Not every decision is going to work. That's the NFL. But I like the logic of Berry and how he has built the team. I believe we have a very good core of talent.

Getting Watson and taking on that contract will be a challenge. But you pay to play. The heavyweights cost big money.

Berry will have to find talent outside of round one for two more years. I believe he will.

Nicely stated.

I want to continue emphasizing...

Browns are in a position where they dictate.

Ideal, Berry could sign Landry, Clowney, and Fuller. I wouldn't get my hope up but roster talent drives the initiative that brings other veteran talents.

Legend
Legend

They really had to do that to assure themselves of a solid QB for next year. there really wasn't any assurance that they'd be able to land Watson so to cover butts, they had to give Baker the 5th year... Of course now it's created a bit of a problem that we all can see.

Last edited by Damanshot; 04/18/22 09:16 AM.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by Damanshot

They really had to do that to assure themselves of a solid QB for next year. there really wasn't any assurance that they'd be able to land Watson so to cover butts, they had to give Baker the 5th year... Of course now it's created a bit of a problem that we all can see.

That makes sense on the surface...however, I think they were D-O-N-E with Baker by the end of the year. Had they punted Baker earlier, they still could have gone after Trubisky, Mariota, Ryan, Wentz, etc. Just my opinion.

P
Legend
Legend
P
No FO is "done" with their QB unless they have a clear upgrade to the position. From a strictly QB position, I don't think this FO would have considered any of the QB's you listed as a top tier QB. Had they have been willing to make a lateral move as you are suggesting, that would have meant they were done with Baker. Yet that is obviously not the approach they were taking. I don't think getting any of the QB's you listed would have accomplished what they were trying to do. They were trying to get an actual franchise QB that make the Browns a serious SB contender in their eyes.

So no, getting watson had nothing to do with "being done with Baker". And had they have decided that any of the QB's you named were worth pursuing that may be a valid point. But when looking at their actions that was not the case.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by bugs
Ideal, Berry could sign Landry, Clowney, and Fuller. I wouldn't get my hope up but roster talent drives the initiative that brings other veteran talents.

You'd better worry about no Defensive Tackles, because we don't have any.

C
Legend
Legend
C

C
Legend
Legend
C
Stephen Weatherly is a super interesting guy. He was a judge on a glass blowing show on Netflix (he’s a glass blower).

Last edited by cfrs15; 04/18/22 04:15 PM.
V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by cfrs15
Stephen Weatherly is a super interesting guy. He was a judge on a glass blowing show in Netflix (he’s a glass blower).

Super Bowl!

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by cfrs15
Stephen Weatherly is a super interesting guy. He was a judge on a glass blowing show on Netflix (he’s a glass blower).

https://www.espn.com/blog/carolina-...eatherly-deal-with-release-from-panthers

Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Stephen Weatherly PFF Grades:

Overall: 52.5
Pass Rush: 58.9
Run Defense: 49.0

Not very good. Oh well.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Nice. Getting Sheldon Day back into the interior d-lineman fold doesn't seem like a bad thing.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog

Not very good. Oh well.

He certainly won't stop us from resigning Clowney

[Linked Image]

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog

Not very good. Oh well.

It’s an inconsequential move. He’s probably a minimum contract on a one year deal. He might not even make the team. They also need bodies for minicamp.

B
Legend
Legend
B
All signings well and good, but Day doesn't excite me at DT. If we don't get better there, it doesn't matter how good Garrett is if teams can run all day up the middle.

We really need a anchor the middle of the line tackle who can eat up two blockers.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
If we don't get better there, it doesn't matter how good Garrett is if teams can run all day up the middle.

We really need a anchor the middle of the line tackle who can eat up two blockers.

Eh.

B
Legend
Legend
B
??

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
My guess on what he’s saying.

Running up the middle is not a main concern. It’s a passing league,

This is why this staff has been throwing out 1 year deals to D-interior lineman

1 member likes this: cfrs15
Legend
Legend
Sheldon Day is not a bad player.

IMO Berry is happy with adequate play at DT. I think with Woods the interior DL will be keep four guys in rotation.

Keep them fresh. Use different guys to play different gaps and look for others to provide inside pressure. Mix and match to down and distance and keep guys fresh.

Cover the backend. Use guys at linebacker that can play in space and cover. He is not looking for stack and shed 260 linebackers.

He wants guy who win to a spot. Cover, fill, and spot pass rush.

JOK will play a giant role for the Browns for years to come. He is an exceptional talent.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by ScottPlayersFacemask
My guess on what he’s saying.

Running up the middle is not a main concern. It’s a passing league,

This is why this staff has been throwing out 1 year deals to D-interior lineman

The list of available interior linemen is still pretty deep:

https://overthecap.com/free-agency/

1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Browns Eyeing 3-Time Free Agent Pro Bowl Pass-Rusher

By J.R. De Groote
Updated Apr 18, 2022 at 5:33am

Melvin Ingram

The Cleveland Browns are still searching for a quality pass-rusher to play opposite of Myles Garrett and Melvin Ingram is someone the team has shown some interest in.

The Browns are awaiting a decision from former top pick Jadeveon Clowney, who excelled in the starting spot last season. The Browns have offered a contract to Clowney worth $24 million over two years, per NFL insider Jordan Schultz.

However, if that falls through, the Browns have to have a backup plan for their free agency plans, with Chase Winovich, Porter Gustin, Taven Bryan and Curtis Weaver currently making up the rest of the position group behind Garrett at defensive end.

The Browns are looking at Ingram as someone who could help fill the void, per Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com.

“The Browns and Clowney still have mutual interest, but it might not happen until after the NFL Draft April 28-30. Clowney, 29, has had some contact with his former Texans teammate Watson,” Cabot reported on April 16.

“The Browns also are considering other free agent defensive ends, including former Bill Jerry Hughes, 33, and former Chief Melvin Ingram, 32. They’ve also scouted the top college prospects, and could select an end with the No. 44 pick.”

Ingram Has Visited With the Dolphins

Ingram is currently a free agent after splitting last season between the Steelers and Chiefs. Ingram recorded two sacks and four tackles for loss in 2021 between his two stops.

While his production might be down, he has a veteran track record with a reputation of being able to get to the passer and disrupt plays in the backfield. Ingram has noted 51.0 career sacks to go with 74 tackles for loss and 119 QB hits. He made a trio of Pro Bowls from 2017 to 2019.

Ingram visited with the Dolphins this week but nothing has pointed to a deal being imminent. It’s unknown what his market might be after a down year, although a low-risk, incentive-laden deal would make sense for the 32-year-old.

Clowney Expressed Interest in Return to Browns

Clowney is weighing his future and has been slow on making his free agent decisions in the past. However, unlike the past few years, Clowney has a chance to cash in on a successful, healthy season.

Clowney played in 14 games last season his most since 2018. He tallied 9 sacks and 19 quarterback hits, also registering 37 tackles, including 11 tackles for loss. He also made a big impact in the run game, holding down his side of the line. Clowney expressed an interest in returning during the season, although he didn’t get into detail due to the timing.

“I would [consider returning], but we have not talked about anything right now. Just finishing the season,” Clowney told reporters on Friday, December 31. “We have a lot of guys on this team who are on a one-year deal, and they might be heading back or do not know what is going to happen in the future. Right now, it is just all about the next game, just trying to get through the season and doing what I can do for the team as of right now.”

One of his biggest supporters in the Browns locker room is his pass-rush partner, Garrett.

“I want him here. I feel like he’s disruptive every time he’s out there, especially when we’re out there together,” Garrett told reporters on Friday, January 7. “The guy’s hitting his stride. I think he has a lot of football left and he doesn’t know that.”

https://heavy.com/sports/cleveland-...vNQsA8wGHO94z0_GfueNxD8LZwsAN7uzSqHDUeSY

Last edited by Jester; 04/18/22 06:50 PM.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum 2022 Browns/NFL Free Agency Signings/News

Link Copied to Clipboard