Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by cfrs15
Stephen Weatherly is a super interesting guy. He was a judge on a glass blowing show on Netflix (he’s a glass blower).

OK,, Now I'm really excited LOL

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by bonefish
Sheldon Day is not a bad player.

IMO Berry is happy with adequate play at DT. I think with Woods the interior DL will be keep four guys in rotation.

Keep them fresh. Use different guys to play different gaps and look for others to provide inside pressure. Mix and match to down and distance and keep guys fresh.

Cover the backend. Use guys at linebacker that can play in space and cover. He is not looking for stack and shed 260 linebackers.

He wants guy who win to a spot. Cover, fill, and spot pass rush.

JOK will play a giant role for the Browns for years to come. He is an exceptional talent.

Adequate DT play would be a pretty large improvement from last year

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
B
Legend
Legend
B
I guess the question I have is where are we going to get adequate starting play at DT? We don't have starting DT's. We have back-up's who start. Elliott isn't a starter and I seriously doubt Togia is any better.

I question our teams strategy at the DT position. We seem to want 3 tech guys who can also plug the middle, but those guys are rare and go in the first round. You don't find them in the 3rd or 4th round.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by leadtheway
Originally Posted by bonefish
Sheldon Day is not a bad player.

IMO Berry is happy with adequate play at DT. I think with Woods the interior DL will be keep four guys in rotation.

Keep them fresh. Use different guys to play different gaps and look for others to provide inside pressure. Mix and match to down and distance and keep guys fresh.

Cover the backend. Use guys at linebacker that can play in space and cover. He is not looking for stack and shed 260 linebackers.

He wants guy who win to a spot. Cover, fill, and spot pass rush.

JOK will play a giant role for the Browns for years to come. He is an exceptional talent.

Adequate DT play would be a pretty large improvement from last year

The Browns front office has a 'dismal' record when it comes to addressing the DT position via the draft.

...Year...rnd drafted........name.....
..2016.........6.......... Caleb Brantley
..2017.........0.......... No DTs drafted
..2018.........0.......... No DTs drafted
..2019.........0.......... No DTs drafted
..2020.........3...........Jordan Elliott
..2021.........4...........Tommy Togiai

Improving the talent level at DT might go a long way toward improving the overall performance of the defensive unit, especially against the run and applying pressure on the opponents QB. When we add the Browns lack of a run stuffing ML, the weakest area of the Browns defense become "the middle".

If the Browns want better production from their DEs , building a disruptive interior DLine would be a wise investment. IMO, too many times I watched opponents QBs settle into 'the pocket', looking way too comfortable as they wait to find an open receiver.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
V
Legend
Legend
V
I am somewhere in the middle of the importance of interior defensive linemen. I know the league is now a passing league more than ever, but it's hard to win close games if your interior is soft and can't stop the run. On the other hand, the interior of the DL is nowhere near as important as the Edge or having good corners.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I am somewhere in the middle of the importance of interior defensive linemen. I know the league is now a passing league more than ever, but it's hard to win close games if your interior is soft and can't stop the run. On the other hand, the interior of the DL is nowhere near as important as the Edge or having good corners.

Generally I agree except Aaron Darnold took over the last drive of the SB. His play from the inside of the DL won the game.
But he is a rare exception, and certainly not the type of talent you find in mid rounds.

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Agreed.

Legend
Legend

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
B
Legend
Legend
B

I agree, it may not be as important, but it isn't all that far behind.

If you are calling the defense a unit, you are only as strong as your weakest link, and the scrubs we put out there at the DT position are pretty damn weak.

It seems to me that if you have a DT who pretty much needs a double team, that is going to keep one of the DE's from getting doubled.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
DT's are still crucial to a teams overall success.look at your 2021 playoff teams and SB teams

Rams..Donald
Bengals ...Reader
Bucs...Vea
Chiefs...Jones
All ranked highly by PFF.

The Browns havent had a dominant DT since MDP.
Warren sucked. Shelton was a bum who got pushed around. The list is endless

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
If you are calling the defense a unit, you are only as strong as your weakest link, and the scrubs we put out there at the DT position are pretty damn weak.

It seems to me that if you have a DT who pretty much needs a double team, that is going to keep one of the DE's from getting doubled.

I agree with you. The only place we seem to disagree with is that I don't consider the defense as a "unit". I see it as you have different units within a defense. The secondary is one unit and the DL is another unit. You could break that down even further into the interior DL and the DE's. The CB's and the safeties. All of those units have different responsibilities and when you combine those units they together make up your defense as a whole.

I also agree this is a passing league so your biggest focus should be on your secondary and the DE's. Yet at the same time we are bereft of talent at the DT position which will not serve us well if we are at the end of a tight game and the opposition can just run all over us and eat the clock.

By far the most common margin of victory in the NFL is 3 points. When looking at the chart on this site one can see that between 3 point, 6 point and 7 point margins, a lot of games are decided by a TD or less.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/nfl/nfl-key-betting-numbers-spread-margins-of-victory-line-value

So the ability to stop the run up the middle when your opponent has possession of the football late in games becomes more critical than some may think it is.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
C
Legend
Legend
C
This NFL off-season is blackout drunk at this point. At this point I expect the Jaguars to take Malik Willis to run a two QB system.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Who??

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
I expect to see quite a few "who" signings on the Dline, since we'll be throwing darts in TC again this year...

Javon? We just signed him on a Wim.

1 member likes this: WSU Willie
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Filling out the roster....

[Linked Image]

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Javon throws a mean sucker punch.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

This is interesting because Shanny is such a great offensive coach. Shefty put out a report yesterday that SF was willing to pay Deebo. I wonder what is fueling his desire to want to be traded. One possible explanation is that they use him as a RB so often and figures that could reduce his long-term worth. Right now WRs have moved into the second highest position group in the NFL and carrying the ball as much might shorten his career. The other thing I thought about was that he has see enough of Trey Lance in practice to want the hell out of there. One thing is for sure........Deebo Samuel is a dynamic and a difference maker.

Legend
Legend
Good. We need a little more "nasty" in all parts of the roster.

Maybe he'll inspire a little on the defense... we're definitely very low in the nasty department on defense.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Man, that was gutless and ignorant.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I don't know about that, our QB scores pretty high on the nasty scale.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Yeah, it was. I almost put that in purple, but didn't because I'm so dead-serious about the lack of nasty.

Wrong thread, but I'll ramble anyway... We've hitched our defense to Myles Garrett, in a sense, for his whole career. A defense predicated on creating chaos up front... through a couple different coordinators now.

"He ain't got no nasty". We need more players that play with an edge on that side of the ball, particularly the line. I had high hopes for Takk, and he looked the part before the devastating injury. Love Myles, would love him a lot more if he became Aaron Donald a few more times during crunch time.

1 member likes this: WSU Willie
V
Legend
Legend
V
Harrison showed some "nasty" by resorting to a couple of cheap shots that were pretty dumb. You should post some of your thoughts on bone's new defensive thread. I think they would be a very good addition.

1 member likes this: FATE
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Hammer
Javon throws a mean sucker punch.

Oh HIM! I remember seeing that one.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

This is interesting because Shanny is such a great offensive coach. Shefty put out a report yesterday that SF was willing to pay Deebo. I wonder what is fueling his desire to want to be traded. One possible explanation is that they use him as a RB so often and figures that could reduce his long-term worth. Right now WRs have moved into the second highest position group in the NFL and carrying the ball as much might shorten his career. The other thing I thought about was that he has see enough of Trey Lance in practice to want the hell out of there. One thing is for sure........Deebo Samuel is a dynamic and a difference maker.

We gotta get this guy!

Deebo is one of the most dynamic playmakers in the NFL and already playing in our offensive.

I wonder if we can get him for a 2nd and 3rd? If so I’d do it, assuming he wants to play for us anyways

1 member likes this: SuperBrown
Legend
Legend
I am willing to risk it. Hope Berry reads this . . . .

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

It was dumb for sure ... but there is a video on YouTube, that covers (the context) the explanations on why Wims was lead to retaliate, and also w/ details about this DB fight in practice with their star WR Michael Thomas.

[Linked Image]

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by myka

We gotta get this guy!

Deebo is one of the most dynamic playmakers in the NFL and already playing in our offensive.

I wonder if we can get him for a 2nd and 3rd? If so I’d do it, assuming he wants to play for us anyways

myka, I agree w/you that acquiring Deebo would be awesome. He is a truly great player. However, I don't think we could really afford to give up more draft capital and he is going to want to be paid in excess of $20 million. I do hope he stays in the NFC. He played at S. Carolina, so maybe he goes to the Panthers, Tampa Bay, Washington. Hell, that doesn't make sense. I doubt SF wants to trade him to a NFC team. Damn!

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg

It was dumb for sure ... but there is a video on YouTube, that covers (the context) the explanations on why Wims was lead to retaliate, and also w/ details about this DB fight in practice with their star WR Michael Thomas.

Thanks for the info. I still don't like how he came from behind, threw a sucker punch, and then backed-up like a sissy boy. But, that's just me. LOL

Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: OldColdDawg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg

Thanks for the info. I still don't like how he came from behind, threw a sucker punch, and then backed-up like a sissy boy. But, that's just me. LOL

LOL ... he certainly did not earn in style points...

[Linked Image]

V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL

V
Legend
Legend
V
Btw-----I think you are a good poster. I love reading your draft takes. Very knowledgable.

1 member likes this: FL_Dawg
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yeah exactly Vers, if he were an FA we’d probably have no chance if he really just wants to return to his hometown.

I’d be happy to pay him well. I mean we already mortgaged the future for Watson. We need to win a Supee Bowl in the next three years or everyone is getting fired. (Well I guess if we win the division 3 times they might get to hold on, but not much more than that).

I’m not usually a “get the star” kinda guy (didn’t love the OBJ trade etc) but Deebo is exactly the type of player that would complete our O. He’s like Jarvis but more athletic. If we gotta pay him 5M more a year so be it.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FATE
Javon? We just signed him on a Wim.

"He's he all week, folks. Don't blame me."

"too many notes, not enough music-"
1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
I guess the question I have is where are we going to get adequate starting play at DT? We don't have starting DT's. We have back-up's who start. Elliott isn't a starter and I seriously doubt Togia is any better.

I question our teams strategy at the DT position. We seem to want 3 tech guys who can also plug the middle, but those guys are rare and go in the first round. You don't find them in the 3rd or 4th round.
This is by far the biggest question mark for me right now. Guys like Day and Elliott are bottom of the barrel. I understand not prioritizing a position, but we were the worst in the NFL last year and have done nothing here.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
E
Legend
Legend
E
Wim...he's a Brown so I automatically like him...lol laugh Got size for Red Zone game. catches the ball with his hands and is an ex basketball player so he uses his body well and it is said that he is excellent on his back shouler plays. THE PUNCH...there is always more to it than just the punch. Full pads and helmets just mean not much thought in that affair. Only thing that might have hurt is his hands. But the kid is from Miami and probably still has that tough guy enforcer type in him. Still who knows if he will be useful or not.

Rochell is not camp material he is a decent depth guy who is here to improve the back end of our roster.

jmho we are leaving no stone unturned

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by eotab
Wim...he's a Brown so I automatically like him...lol laugh Got size for Red Zone game. catches the ball with his hands and is an ex basketball player so he uses his body well and it is said that he is excellent on his back shouler plays. THE PUNCH...there is always more to it than just the punch. Full pads and helmets just mean not much thought in that affair. Only thing that might have hurt is his hands. But the kid is from Miami and probably still has that tough guy enforcer type in him. Still who knows if he will be useful or not.

Rochell is not camp material he is a decent depth guy who is here to improve the back end of our roster.

jmho we are leaving no stone unturned

I don't see the Colts letting this guy get away if he was what you claim that he is ... DE is still a need for them today.

[Linked Image]

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum 2022 Browns/NFL Free Agency Signings/News

Link Copied to Clipboard