Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PETE314
Thanks...hmm interesting tho...and not trying to stick up for Watson but a thing I see in many scouting reports where they mention positives and negatives that are essentially the same thing or sometime ARE the same thing...

In this case he adjusts easily to balls outside his frame but has bad ball tracking...how do you do one without the other?

Does it mention when those drops were....Early in his time there. consistently...all last year???? LOL But I agree that ball tracking and hands are a concern for me. I don't care how fast you are...if you can get open and catch the ball, I like you for my team (which is why I was always a Brian Brennan Fan...)

Adjusting to balls has to do with body control, which is a physical trait ... tracking has to do with locating the ball with anticipation of the balls flight path, which is more of an instinctive gift.

And I am not suggesting that Watson is undraftable ... just not with our 44th selection.

[Linked Image]

B
Legend
Legend
B
Some of the talk had gone beyond #44. I agree. I don't want him at #44.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Per pff (final) big board:

75. WR CHRISTIAN WATSON, NORTH DAKOTA STATE

"The NFL Scouting Combine king is more than just a high-level testing athlete. He's a super flexible 6-foot-4, 208-pound receiver who can adjust to balls easily outside his frame. The drop issues and ball tracking are a tad concerning, however, as Watson dropped 16 passes on 120 career catchable targets."

That is a 13% drop rate.
I saw where the top receivers in the draft as far as drop % goes are under 5%
I didn't see anyone under 4%

Last edited by Jester; 04/21/22 05:59 PM.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
When you have a guy with his height and speed. You bring him in and take a closer look.

I can not speak to his true ability because I have not studied him.

He played against weak competition. He should have dominated. I don't if he did.

He is worth a close look.

George Pickens was a five star recruit. He played against the best. His Relative Athletic Score is very high. He has first round talent written all over him. I would be willing to move some to get him. IMO he could be the best receiver in this class. The only reason he might be there is because he was injured.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I've been beating the drum for serious attention to the interior DL for the last 3 drafts. If Perrion Winfrey is available at 44 that's my pick. The WR position is deep. Deeper in quality depth than DL. So...

1 member likes this: FATE
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by bonefish
When you have a guy with his height and speed. You bring him in and take a closer look.

I can not speak to his true ability because I have not studied him.

He played against weak competition. He should have dominated. I don't if he did.

He is worth a close look.

George Pickens was a five star recruit. He played against the best. His Relative Athletic Score is very high. He has first round talent written all over him. I would be willing to move some to get him. IMO he could be the best receiver in this class. The only reason he might be there is because he was injured.

I agree, there is nothing to lose by bring in a physical specimen like Watson and Pickens is one of my favorite player's in this years Draft.

[Linked Image]

C
Legend
Legend
C

V
Legend
Legend
V
I was listening to Louis Riddick today and he was talking about Alec Pierce from Cincinnati. Said he has around 6'3", ran fast at the Combine, great in the red zone and on contested catches. Riddick is a really smart guy and I value his opinions. He has a good shot of being the next Steelers' GM.

Here is a player profile on Pierce.

Alec Pierce NFL Draft 2022: Scouting Report for Cincinnati WR
BR NFL SCOUTING DEPARTMENT

Ian Johnson/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
HEIGHT: 6'3 1/8"

WEIGHT: 211

HAND: 9"

ARM: 33"

WINGSPAN: 6'6 1/2"

40-YARD DASH: 4.33

3-CONE: 7.13

SHUTTLE: 4.28

VERTICAL: 40.5"

BROAD: 10'9"

POSITIVES

— Good height, size and length as an outside receiver.

— Very good overall athlete with body control and explosive jumping ability.

— Legit weapon in the red zone. Has very good catching range and can consistently high-point throws and adjust for back-shoulder throws.

— Aligned outside and in the slot for Cincinnati.

— Consistently wins versus press because of his good foot quickness, balance and play strength.

— Good hands. Comfortable extending for throws away from his body.

— Above-average overall route-runner who showed improvement as the season went along.

— Has experience and production as a special teamer.

— Willing blocker with good play strength and effort.

Videos you might like
NEGATIVES

— Average with the ball in his hands. Doesn’t consistently make defenders miss with the ball in tight spaces.

— Still has room for improvement with his route running—namely on comebacks and other tight out-breakers.

2021 STATISTICS

13 G, 52 REC, 884 YDS (17.0 AVG), 8 TD

NOTES

— 2021 second-team All-AAC

OVERALL

Pierce is a very athletic, explosive receiver who aligned in the slot and outside in college. He has good height and size and can win consistently versus press coverage because of his good foot quickness and balance. He can sink enough to keep his chest from being exposed to more physical cornerbacks and maintain his path because of his good core strength and body control.

He is a true ball-winning receiver who high-points throws in the red zone and can consistently adjust his body on back-shoulder throws when running go routes. He has good length, and his natural hands as a receiver on throws to and away from his body allow him to maximize his catching range.

Pierce has more nuance to his game than just ball-winning on contested catches. He improved as a route-runner as the season went along and showed attention to detail with his depth and breaking points. But he does need to continue to refine his route tree and polish. He will need to keep improving on shorter routes to be a true option from the slot. He can also be inconsistent when coming out of his breaks and get “stuck” on the top of his outbreaking routes, such as comebacks. And while Pierce has above-average long speed, he is average with the ball in his hands after the catch. He has flashes of burst and the balance to bounce off defenders but isn’t overly shifty in open space.

Overall, Pierce will be an immediate contributor for any NFL offense thanks to his true ball-winning ability that will make him a target in the red zone. He is a good blocker who plays with good effort on every snap in both the run game and on any route he’s asked to execute, which also gives him potential to be utilized as a "power slot" on snaps.

His improvement as a route-runner last season combined with his overall athleticism shows there can be even more room for growth. His package of explosiveness, hands and improvement as a true receiver gives Pierce the upside of a very good starting Z wide receiver for any NFL offense. He can also bump inside for more than a handful of snaps per game and rack up touchdowns for designer plays in the red zone.

GRADE: 7.7 (Potential Impact Player - 2nd Round)

OVERALL RANK: 45

POSITION RANK: WR10

PRO COMPARISON: Eric Decker

Written by B/R NFL Scout Nate Tice

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...t-2022-scouting-report-for-cincinnati-wr

All Pro
All Pro
As far as limiting it to possible picks, my order of preference at 44 would be:

1) George Pickens, WR, Georgia
2) Travis Jones, DT, Uconn
3) Daxton Hill, S, Michigan (he is an absolute missile, I can't help it)

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
Legend
Legend
If Jarvis signs that changes the formula.

We should then go BPA DL.

After that strictly BPA. Pierce would be a great third. He has every measureable. 40.5" verticle is wild.

If Jarvis signes it provides flexibility in the draft. Get Travis Jones maybe come back and grab Winfrey.

I like those two in combination. Winfrey can get upfield. Jones can stay in gap.

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
I heard jarvis was going to wait till after the draft before making a decision on where he would want to go

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Tab. Yesterday a report came out saying he would decide between the Saints and the Browns.

It might be before the draft but that has not been made clear yet.

Legend
Legend
As the draft nears and pick 44 looms.

Who falls?

Grant Delpit was drafted with pick 44. He had some injury history but ran a 4.4 at the combine. Many considered him a first round talent.

JOK fell to the Browns in the second round pick 52.
========================================================================================

Who could fall to the Browns in the second round?

Treylon Burks. When the draft process started there lots of talk of Burks at 13. He ran a disappointing 40. People started dropping him in mocks. Mocks are not GM's. The Browns have brought him in to Berea. So, there is interest.

George Pickens. He is no longer a sleeper pick. People have gotten on his wagon. I am one of those. He was brought to my attention early in the process by Greg Cosell. Someone I hold in high respect. When I watched his tape. It was a big Wow. I saw nothing but first round talent.

Devonte Wyatt. I doubt he will fall. I read about an incident that someone posted about a domestic dispute. All I found was he kicked a door. There was nothing mentioned about violence or anyone in fear of assult?
On tape I see talent. Power, speed, quickness. He played on a great defense. He was productive. He looks like a really disruptive player.

David Ojabo tore his achillies at his pro day. I doubt that works for the Browns. He will fall. I was not crazy for him.

Jahan Dotson. Very productive player. He is all over the place from pick 20 to pick 45.

Perrion Winfrey actually rose up the Board with a strong senior bowl week. Nobody could handle him during the week. Then he was the player of the game. He was lost at Oklahoma. Played out of position. This guy gets after people. He can get upfield. Very good interior pass rush. He is a favoite of my man Quincy Carrier.

Arnold Ebikitie. I believe in this guy. Some have as a high. Like bottom of the first. I would love to get him at 44. IMO he could be damn good pass rusher.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Seeing some mock drafts that have Tyler Linderbaum C Iowa falling out of the 1st round. He usually goes high 2nd, but while unlikely, what if he falls to #44?
Do we take him?
If he makes it to day 2, is there a point that you would trade up to get him?

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by Jester
Seeing some mock drafts that have Tyler Linderbaum C Iowa falling out of the 1st round. He usually goes high 2nd, but while unlikely, what if he falls to #44?
Do we take him?
If he makes it to day 2, is there a point that you would trade up to get him?

If he’s there at 44 you throw a party. If he starts falling toward the back third of the first round you start making calls to trade up and get him.

2 members like this: mgh888, bugs
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
It all depends how confident we are in Harris as our Center if we are we won't double down a year that we would have two 2nd round picks maybe but not this year.

Last minute change for me in who I want us to take and who I think we would take at #44. Sam Williams is a pass rushing stud I don't know why none of the experts are talking about him.

6'4" 261 4.46 40 had 12.5 sacks in 13 games played in the SEC Ole Miss. 4 forced fumbles 10th in the nation. No reason he is considered so low I don't get it. I think he would prosper on the other side of Garrett and will give a blow to Clowney and Garrett.
I've read he is dropping because of sex assault charges that were dropped but he's been clean ever since the suspension in 2020 I think he came back that year and played 8 games??? but no problems since. Heck we just gave 200++million to much worse that that. I don't see why we would go for it. One offense and dropped even if not dropped its one offense not repeated.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

C
Rookie
Rookie
C
I wonder how many giving their picks here are assuming Clowney will re-sign with us. There's mention of him wanting a two yr deal but here we are heading into the draft and all is quiet.

Last year he committed to us two weeks ahead of the draft. If we fail to re-sign Clowney by tomorrow the fo might be changing their draft board.

Legend
Legend
Well, Clowney hasn't signed with anyone else, either... so, it isn't exactly a strike against us or him.

There could be a bunch of reasons why he isn't onboard, yet, but I've been of the mind that we won't actually sign him until after June 1st, when the Hooper cap space gets freed up.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Sam Williams is 17th on Dane Bruglers Edge Rusher list.

SUMMARY: A three-year starter at Ole Miss, Williams was a hybrid boundary end (two and three point) in defensive coordinator Chris Partridge’s 3-3-5 base scheme,
lining primarily in the 4i-technique. He turned his flashes into more consistent production as a senior, breaking the single-season school record with 12.5 sacks, which
ranked top-five in the FBS in 2021. Although he needs better setup and countering skills mid-rush, Williams creates a surge with his hard-charging athleticism and
violent hands. In the run game, he has a reliable motor but struggles to control the point because of a faulty anchor and tall pads. Overall, Williams must improve his
discipline to be a more consistent edge-setter and rusher, but he has the upfield acceleration and attacking mentality to affect the game as a quarterback hunter.
He is an exciting pass rush prospect in subpackages with potential to be more.

Regards Harris as our Center vs Linderbaum .... I think it's a total no brainer. Linderbaum to me is a top 15 player in this draft. He doesn't play a high profile position - but he is dominant. An Ex-wrestler who is always in the right position and with the right leverage. Put him next to Bitonio and Teller and our OL is better than anything in the NFL. If he fell to about 22 - 26 .... whoa, I'd love to get him.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
C
Rookie
Rookie
C
Maybe I should have not have used "re-sign''. How about ''commit''. Are players allowed to commit before cap space is freed up?

Legend
Legend
They and their agents can agree to anything they want with a team, and even promise they'll do it, and so can a team for that part, but nothing is set in stone until papers are signed on a contract. So, even if we have an agreement, it's only an agreement in good faith and either side could back out at any time.

I think we're in no hurry because Clowney is in no hurry. I'm thinking that he's just enjoying his offseason in Miami or wherever and waiting to see what comes to him. The market has been dry for a month, now, and nothing is going to move until after tonight, at least. Teams that are desperate for a DE and don't get one tonight may be giving his agent a call before midnight.... or, maybe he does want to be here and is just waiting for us to be ready to sign him. Or, maybe we're waiting to see if a particular player or two falls to us, and if no, then he's our man?

I still think he ends up back here one way or another. If we get him back and grab a decent DT, this defense is loads better.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

C
Legend
Legend
C
We have plenty of cap space to sign basically anybody at this point. There is no reason to wait. My guess is that Clowney wants a multi year deal but there is no market for that. I don’t think Clowney is affecting the draft planning one way or another.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by cfrs15
We have plenty of cap space to sign basically anybody at this point. There is no reason to wait. My guess is that Clowney wants a multi year deal but there is no market for that. I don’t think Clowney is affecting the draft planning one way or another.

I don't think so either ... he was/is a stop gap.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: Hammer
V
Legend
Legend
V
Hmmmm........

Legend
Legend
I take it you saw Skyy’s name. lol never mind. I just read the prediction thread. I hope you are right.

Last edited by Pdawg; 04/28/22 04:17 PM.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
I like both of those guys a lot. I kinda doubt either will be available at 44.

Legend
Legend
Love the options for the Browns.

Berry can go a lot of different ways.

That is a good thing.

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Thank you mgh888
You are the first to give me any kind of feedback on Sam Williams although it was some other's list and opinion. Anyone see tape on this kid with their own evaluation???

I was impressed and he was on a team with not much help so that he was double teamed a lot.

Vers as it turned out I might be related to this kid (that you don't like) Karlaftis. I have relatives that have been in Athens since well a long time. Spell the last name differently in ancient Greek it means ship corker...lol I'm not use to seeing a fellow American of Greek descent playing sports. We are great chefs though...lol laugh

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season 2022 NFL Draft Who to take at #44

Link Copied to Clipboard