Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Damanshot
I really don't understand the lack of interest in Baker...

Don't be fooled. There is interest. Baker is a starting QB in this league. The seeming lack of interest is because teams know we have to trade him. Nobody is going to jump at a trade with baker being able to walk after a year. Some are willing to wait for him to be cut and take their chances at that point.

Then they have a shot at signing him for several years. If they can't get it done with Baker as a FA, at the least they saved a pick by not trading for a 1 year rental..

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by bbrowns32
Originally Posted by cfrs15
[quote=Milk Man] My guess is that he’s traded to the Panthers today or tomorrow for a conditional 2023 pick.

A long shot but with the Giants declining Daniel Jones 5th year option, could Baker be traded for their pick at #36? We would have to pick up a chunk of Baker's salary and possibly an exchange of later picks....

I don’t see it.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
His salary, and the fact that it is a one year thing have a lot to do with him not being moved, but some of it has to do with his attitude and the things he says. Making comments about players playing only for the money will rub many the wrong way. I have no proof, but it has been said that many in the locker room didn't actually like him. The fact that nobody got his back when the OBJ thing happened speaks volumes. None of his teammates are going to bat for him now either. I find that strange.

That being said, I think he is a better choice than any of the QBs coming out this year. And 19 million for a vteran starter is not a high price. Maybe teams just don't think he is as good as many Browns fans do, who knows? We should find out tonight if someone thinks he is worth the effort.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by bbrowns32
[quote=Milk Man] My guess is that he’s traded to the Panthers today or tomorrow for a conditional 2023 pick.

A long shot but with the Giants declining Daniel Jones 5th year option, could Baker be traded for their pick at #36? We would have to pick up a chunk of Baker's salary and possibly an exchange of later picks....

I thought about Baker and the Giants, but can you imagine Baker and the NY media. Also, while they did take an OT last night, their OL has been really bad for years. Their HC just had Josh Allen and his playmaking abilities were a huge part of the offense. At least Jones is athletic. Baker is not.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Baker would not play nice in the situation and would show up and make things uncomfortable. He's getting his money either way and he'll want a chance to play this year and earn another contract for his future. CBA won't let the Browns just lock him out of the facility.

I'll live stream myself pulling a Vinny van Gogh on my ear should it reach this point.

If he really wanted to play this year then he'd be willing to renegotiate his contract to facilitate a trade.

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
1 member likes this: PastorMarc
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Jester
Baker would not play nice in the situation and would show up and make things uncomfortable. He's getting his money either way and he'll want a chance to play this year and earn another contract for his future. CBA won't let the Browns just lock him out of the facility.

I'll live stream myself pulling a Vinny van Gogh on my ear should it reach this point.

If he really wanted to play this year then he'd be willing to renegotiate his contract to facilitate a trade.

Lol, why on earth would you negotiate against yourself on guaranteed money?!?

He'll be moved and get his money.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Lolz.

Tackles are tackles.
C
Legend
Legend
C

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I was referring to discussed scenario of us going into the season not having been able to trade him.
We would just make him inactive. So if he really wanted to play the nhe would renegotiate.

At present, there is no reason for him to renegotiate unless it is to facilitate a trade by negotiating a 2 year contract

V
Legend
Legend
V

Jesus. The NFL thinks less of him than I do.

C
Legend
Legend
C

Imagine the Panthers negotiating their way into Sam Darnold and a third round rookie as their QB options.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Well the Panthers just drafted a QB, so I guess that's that.

No Craps Given
V
Legend
Legend
V
Corral is talented, athletic, competitive, and tough. But dang, he is so slight of build. I would never trust him to stay healthy and he can be erratic at times.

C
Legend
Legend
C

"They have no leverage because I have Sam Darnold and Matt Corral at QB."

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
rofl

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I totally agree. Baker isn't chopped liver. There is no need to give away good talent.

Panthers can play with Darnold or Mayfield. You get what you pay for. Don't make it easy for others.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
No - that's not possible - they do however talk about him much, much, much less than you do.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
2 members like this: datguy, FATE
B
Legend
Legend
B

I agree. We might want him to do that, but for him that would be a lame brain move. Baker isn't going to do that. All that would do is be doing the Browns a favor. If it was me I'd tell the Browns to take a hike as I gave them the 1 finger salute every time I marched my $19 mil or whatever portion the Browns end up paying to the bank.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Bottom line is if a team thought Baker would make their team a playoff team or that he would be a franchise player they would make a trade ASAP and would not care obout the 18 mil. They just don't see him as either!!!

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
1 member likes this: CapCity Dawg
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F

"They have no leverage because I have Sam Darnold and Matt Corral at QB."

If David Tepper knows so much about leverage, why did he give up a 2nd, 4th and 6th for Darnold. Some people feel Darnold is worth less than Baker. Just sayin'.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Fort, he was being sarcastic.

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Fort, he was being sarcastic.

I know, but I don't know how to make the font purple.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by Day of the Dawg
Bottom line is if a team thought Baker would make their team a playoff team or that he would be a franchise player they would make a trade ASAP and would not care obout the 18 mil. They just don't see him as either!!!

Possibly...there is also the possibility that training camp is months away, Baker can't throw the ball yet after surgery and everyone knows the Browns have no leverage in the exit.

I think he either goes to SEA or he's on the 53 and inactive until someone else's QB get injured.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Baker can be a starting QB in the league . As a spot starter. His career may follow the
Same path as Charlie Batch's. Baker Just simply doesn't have the tools
To get a team to the Super Bowl

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by oobernoober
Picking up from the last thread (and my hope is that the majority of this thread is used to discussed particulars of the trade that gets him off the roster, his new team, etc).

I think the league knows that the Browns are between a rock and a hard place. I think Berry doesn't want to get taken advantage of and cave to pressure. I do think Baker is better than the QBs I mentioned in the last thread that found homes. I don't think Baker is so bad that nobody will sign him, but he's clearly not all that and a bag of chips.

Getting to the point/request above:

Worse-case scenario is that Baker sits inactive all year. The Browns are eating some/most/all of his 2022 salary anyway - so it's a sunk cost. I've read numerous opinions that such a scenario will land us a 3rd Rd comp pick next year - but doesn't that really mean for the 2024 draft...and even that is still a maybe. For the comp pick opportunity (via Baker) we'd have to sign fewer/lesser value in free agency than we would lose to free agency for the 2023-2024 league year. That's an eternity in NFL time.

Such may still be our lot here...but that makes me wonder about any free agents we are "set" to lose after THIS year and how that impacts the FO's moves (signings) in free agency (after this year) while considering the comp pick(s) angle. Perhaps the trade back THIS year - getting a couple developmental guys - is positioning to avoid free agency needs after this year?

That made my head hurt.

P
Legend
Legend
P

That's impossible.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: 3rd_and_20
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Day of the Dawg

All they have to do is watch the 2020 game film and the Browns trip to the playoffs to see it for themselves. Then they'd see it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Still recovering from shoulder surgery, owed $19 million, guaranteed, and struggled last year with multiplre injuries.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted by YTownBrownsFan
Still recovering from shoulder surgery, owed $19 million, guaranteed, and struggled last year with multiplre injuries.

Then either BM is injured to the point of being a concern, or he was not injured enough to justify his bad play..

I personally think its a mater of character or lack of. He clearly has not enough talent for teams to put up with his diva behavior and toxic personality

Legend
Legend
so... we're hoping some starting QB has an injury in training camp.... or early in the season....

<><

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
jay..........you are a very reasonable poster and that is why I am responding to you.

Think about it.............this board has been an alternative universe for a long time about Baker. Completely polar to what other football commentators have said. Then, the Browns decide to not give him a new contract after his "great" year. Then, Baker sucks. He blames his injury and maybe that is justifiable. However, the medical staff cleared him each week and even took him off the injury list at times. His wife goes to social media and trashes our WRs after the Chargers game. OBJ's dad does the same later on. Folks freak out about OBJ, but not about Baker. Teammates come to the defense of OBJ but not Baker. Baker plays some good games after his injury and makes good throws afterwards. When he doesn't, it is because of the injury according to Baker and his fans. He refuses to accept accountability and continues to throw others under the bus. Ex-players hate the dude for the most part. Guys like Robbie Anderson say "Nooooo" when asked about Baker going to Carolina. Maybe he talked to Higgens? No one has traded for him, despite claims from posters on here that they would not take any qb in the league over Baker or that Baker is the best qb since Joe Montana. Please. And how do those posters respond to criticism of Baker? Personal attacks, false quotes, and lies.

The NFL is showing all y'all what they think of Baker. It's okay to be wrong as I have been wrong many, many times. But, posters who continue to defy reality and refuse to admit they were wrong and continue to attack those who were correct is a freaking travesty. Seriously...........what has become their defense of Baker? You talk about him too much or you always hated him. Well, there are reasons why i did and do. And the NFL apparently agrees.

Legend
Legend
100% agree with you! I honestly thought we'd trade Baker this weekend... so a little surprised we didn't... however, feel its pretty telling that we haven't....

No team is bending over backwards to get Baker..... I don't think the Browns would be unreasonable with compensation or how much they want to pay for his salary... I just don't think any time really wants him...

Now... we need to hope for an injury (which I hate doing) to trade baker..... I think we hold on to him.. hope we can trade him preseason or early in season.....

<><

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
I hope we trade him, too. I am a Brown's fan rather than a fan of any single player. I want what is best for my team. I could be dead wrong, but I feel we might have to eat his contract and end up releasing him later on. I really believe I was right about him all along. Others can't admit that and resort to personal attacks, but I really don't see how the facts of the situation can be disputed. Wait.....I know this place......they will be...LOL.

I am holding out hope that just one team wants to take a chance on him and we can move on.

Legend
Legend
My daughter is almost 2 weeks old, so I am kinda in a perpetual state of cranky right now. My bad on making it sound confrontational.

"1...2...3...4, Brownsgrrl! Brownsgrrl! Brownsgrrl! Browns!

Don't be cranky, bro-
I know- she be messing with ya previous flow,
But this blessing is impressing me from head to toe:
-A new 'oober-newbie' who'll continue tha flow-"

Brownsgrrrrl!
Brownsgrrrrl!

X16

wink
thumbsup

I dunno.... Maybe it's because I'm one of those people changing their tune, but I think how Baker handled the end of the season and the off-season was the final push I needed to put everything before in a different perspective. I had a harder time with folks that turned on him earlier in the season after the injury when he started to not play well, plus all the drama that seemed to never fully die.

You're not alone.

I was never an all-in BakerBro, but I liked enough of what I saw from him to be in the camp that was ready to see him play out his rookie contract. When the DW deal went down, I forced myself to dispassionately look at #6 as a trade commodity. Browns didn't work hard enough to finesse their optics, and #6 didn't do himself any favors by way of making himself attractive to potential suitors.

So now- in typical Browns fashion- we have sow's ear of a situation, at a time when a winning QB (on draft weekend) should be a silk purse as trade leverage.

For the most part, I've been happy with Berry/DePo.
This handling of 'The 6 Situation' is the first time I've found myself questioning them-

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
Baker can be a starting QB in the league . As a spot starter. His career may follow the
Same path as Charlie Batch's. Baker Just simply doesn't have the tools
To get a team to the Super Bowl

Baker will be a top 10 QB in a few years

Joe Thomas #73
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
For who?

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Steubenvillian
For who?

I was going to name an XFL team - but then realized that according to some, he's such a locker room cancer, such a Diva and so incredibly bad, even that's aiming a little high.

Hopefully every week that goes by without Baker being traded doesn't mean another helping of posts saying the same thing about how bad Baker is because an NFL team didn't trade for him while ignoring timing and the weak position the Browns are in.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
The Browns owner and those running his front office created this entire situation and now they are paying for their mishandling of the entire QB situation.

As RG3 said: "The Browns needed to trade Baker Mayfield before the ink dried on Deshaun Watson’s contract. Instead, they trashed Baker in the media, aided in killing his trade value and are stuck with a QB they don’t want."

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Baker's biggest fans remind me of Baker in regards to maturity, blaming others, and not taking accountability. It's not surprising they love Baker.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum More Baker... the slow trek to the end

Link Copied to Clipboard