Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Legend
Legend
So true. I know people stress over the cap.

I do not. Berry has planned for this job his whole life. He is a very bright guy. He can handle it.

You will miss on draft picks. Part of the business. Berry will not screw up the cap. He just wont.

The Baker mess is unfortunate. But it doesn't hurt the team from a standpoint of getting who they want.

So, I read about the money etc., but I do not stress about it.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Having a good cap number is important, but I see teams like N.O. who are buried under the cap yet find a way to get who they want and money seems not to be an issue, so I agree bonefish I don't stress over the cap either thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
T
Legend
Legend
T
The Browns should have attempted to sign QB. Nick Foles as soon as the Bears waived him.
2. I don't care if everyone thinks that is a dumb idea.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
I’m impressed with our ability thus far to manage the cap and re-sign/acquire so many top end guys. Keeping the core in place is huge, especially at key spots on the roster

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Thus far but I hope it doesn't become like juggling water with trying to keep up.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
We are in VERY good shape and we stand to carry a ton of that over to next year, which further softens the blow of some of the mega contracts we've handed out recently.
Which is why they are hesitant to pay 'most" of Bakers salary as teams are requesting...they want to have more carry over...

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
Legend
Legend
Meh. I'd say they have contingency plans for everything from us paying none of his salary to us paying all of his salary this year, and everything in between.
There's a preference to not pay anything, sure, but we will be just fine if we paid all of it, too. If anything, I'd wager that it hinges more on the draft picks... e.g. "if you want us to pay most of his salary, you need to give up a higher pick" sort of thing

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
Meh. I'd say they have contingency plans for everything from us paying none of his salary to us paying all of his salary this year, and everything in between.
There's a preference to not pay anything, sure, but we will be just fine if we paid all of it, too. If anything, I'd wager that it hinges more on the draft picks... e.g. "if you want us to pay most of his salary, you need to give up a higher pick" sort of thing

I still have a pretty strong belief in Berry and Depo... (even with the shoddy way they handled this thing) My guess is they will find a way to pay some or all of this number without seriously hamstringing the team... Look at how they handled Watsons contract... Pretty sure they'll find a way

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Oh, I'd all but guarantee that it's completely a non-issue. As-is, we can pay absolutely all of it without it hamstringing us at all. It's dead money this year, it's either a non-factor next year, or it represents money we *could* carry over as available cap space if we could unload him. We're already swimming in cap space under the "worst" scenario.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Why do people think the FO botched the Baker Mayfield deal?

Teams are wanting Cleveland to fold to get a free trial on Baker. Cleveland can pay his salary for one year and get a compensatory, likely a third or fourth, next year.

If Cleveland waves Baker, they pay Baker's full salary for this year. Baker signs with another team at the league minimum. If they can get a compensatory next year, waving Baker makes no sense.

If Berry pays a percentage of Baker's salary along with a trade and a late draft pick, what benefit is it to Cleveland?

I agree with Berry hold out and someone will pay a second or third.

C
Legend
Legend
C
People just want a resolution now because they impatient. There is no reason to do anything on anyone else’s timeline. Waiting doesn’t hurt anyone.

1 member likes this: THROW LONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
Waiting doesn't hurt.
Lining up a trade before getting Watson - or on condition the Browns got Watson - before all the QB needy teams got other options in place would have been better.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
2 members like this: WSU Willie, PrplPplEater
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think Baker hurt his own value more than the Brown's FO did. He is a dependent qb. The stories about the locker room issues were circulating. The OBJ thing w/Baker not wanting to throw him the football because he wanted the attention may have been a thing. The "adult" comment was out there. The social media stuff was out there. Differences of opinion on how much the injury was affecting Baker was out there.

I was really hoping the Texans would trade for Baker. Let him play w/that group and behind that OL. I was hoping the Texas connection might make sense. When Baker was not included in the deal for Watson, it was a giant eye-opener in regards to Baker's worth in the eyes of the league. They have Davis Mills, for crying out loud.

Then, Baker wrote the dumb farewell letter. He then told Shefty it was best for both parties to part ways. He then made the stupid pod cast where he threw teammates under the bus again and made more excuses for his poor play.

I do not blame the FO at all. In fact, I applaud them for biting the bullet and moving on. I am almost positive that Baker was not in their long-term plans even if Watson had chosen another team. I wasn't a fan of firing Dorsey, but Berry has done a very nice job. Some can change their opinions based on facts and others can not.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
jc...

The Haslam media machine is in overdrive this weekend, spreading lies about what transpired in Cleveland concerning OBJ's departure.

Beckham was asking the Browns for a trade before the 2021 season started, while still rehabbing from his knee surgery. Matter of fact, the information below is not disputed by anyone from the Browns.

link
Beckham wanted out of Cleveland almost from the time he was acquired in a 2019 blockbuster trade from the New York Giants. He asked to be traded several times, and now has his wish.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
V
Legend
Legend
V
You are correct in that OBJ wanted out of Cleveland before this season. The reason why is that he wanted to be away from Baker. OBJ's camp claims that Baker had a problem w/OBJ being a bigger star than Baker and that he continually refused to throw him the ball. OBJ's came also claims that Baker was really slow at going through his progressions.

OBJ was a star before Baker. And he was balling after leaving Baker. Those are facts.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted by mgh888
Waiting doesn't hurt.
Lining up a trade before getting Watson - or on condition the Browns got Watson - before all the QB needy teams got other options in place would have been better.

How do we know they did not try?

Don't forget Baker's injury. He won't be ready until maybe July.

I like Mayfield. I get Watson is an upgrade.

Browns FO is not afraid to spend money for draft capital. Don't forget the Osweiler trade.

Baker said he feels disrespected! Thus far, Berry is basically saying we ain't taking anything short of a first or second. Most GMs would have dumped. To me, Berry wants both Cleveland and Baker to succeed. By trading for a first or second, Berry is forcing a team to spend capital, thus, making Baker a stater. Since Baker is in the final year of his contract, it's hard for teams to justify the salary cost for a one-year deal. I think the deck is stacked against Berry to make a trade. Waiting is the best option.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Let's get our facts straight on OBJ. Between 2020 and 2021, OBJ only played in 13 of 27 games including playoffs. Considering OBJ was injured early in the game in 2020 (1st qtr) the actual number of games that OBJ was available was 12 of 27 games or 44.4% of the time over a 2-year period.

Fact: On this forum and around the NFL, analysts and sports writers alike marveled how the Browns passing game changed once OBJ went down in 2020. In fact, it elevated the play of the other receivers on the team as the Browns made their playoff march. The final 9 games of 2020, Mayfield flew up the ranks to become a top 5 QB without OBJ. The Browns went to the playoffs for 2-games without OBJ and things looked promising for 2021.

Fact: In late May 2021, OBJ demanded a trade from the Browns FO even though he was still rehabing from his injury. The Browns had just made the playoffs for the first time in decades. The team had a top 5 QB that seems to be improving with every game and a supporting staff around him that looked to be in championship form. The how and the why of OBJ's request may never be known but it would be shameful to suggest that OBJ wanted out because Mayfield wouldn't throw him the ball when he had just missed the last 11 games, Mayfield was a top 5 QB, and the team was playoff calibur.

Fast forward to 2021, OBJ is not ready for preseason. Whether OBJ was still rehabing or trying to force a Browns trade, OBJ was not a F/T participant in the 2021 preseason. In fact, this rehab or cat and mouse game continued into the 2021 season where OBJ ended up missing the first 2-games of the year due to him rehabing his injury.

Fact: The Browns started 2021 just like the finished 2020. They were good and the team had a top 5 QB through the first 2-games of the season. All of this promise and still no OBJ contribution. Things were looking up for the Browns.

Unfortunately, Mayfield was hurt during that 2nd game suffering a serious injury to his non-throwing shoulder. Some will argue that the injury shouldn't have mattered yet even to a lay man, Mayfield was not the same QB he had exhibited over the last 13 games going forward with the injury. Mayfield struggled with the injury as it effected his level of play while his head coach continued to put him out there week after week.

Fact: A disgruntled and untraded OBJ returns to the lineup in week 3 to a team that has been winning without him and a now injured QB expected to throw him the ball. OBJ had now missed 13 straight games not counting the preseason. 13 games where Mayfield had built confidence in throwing to other players. 13 games where Mayfield had elevated his game to be a top 5 QB in the league over that period. 13 games where the Browns were winning and they were winning without OBJ.

OBJ's issues with Mayfield hadn't festered over time, hell, OBJ hadn't been playing for the last 13 games and the team was winning without him and hitting on all cylinders. OBJ wanted out of Cleveland and using his injured QB as a tool to make that happen is exactly what he did. Historically, OBJ has been on the field for about 95% of the offensive snaps. Since his return, OBJ only played about 70% of the snaps in those final 6 games with the Browns. Mayfield didn't call the plays, why was OBJ off the field for 25% of the plays he normally was on the field for? Add in all the other injuries that were occurring to the team and you have a team in turmoil struggling with an injured QB with a diva WR wanting to be traded. Those are facts that cannot be denied but OBJ leaving was all Mayfield's fault - or was it?

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
6 members like this: PitDAWG, Hammer, Tackman
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by mgh888
Waiting doesn't hurt.

It might have been better had you been able to keep it quiet. I doubt that would have happened. Then we would be sitting here with a QB demanding a trade because he wouldn't want to play here as a "left over".

I just don't see any realistic way we could have pulled that off.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
When the Colts traded Wentz, they had Sam Ehlinger and James Morgan on their roster at QB. They had made the decision to move on from him and they got something in return. Maybe they "knew" they would later get Matt Ryan...maybe they threw the dice...but they decisively made a move after determining that their QB just wasn't the guy for them.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Let's not forget that Jay Glazer has verified that OBJ asked him to help him get out of Cleveland before he even arrived after the trade was announced. I didn't realize how well respected Jay Glazer is until this topic came up, but he doesn't pedal in half truths or rumors.
https://dawgpounddaily.com/2021/11/17/odell-beckham-glazer/

Let's not forget the wide spread reporting that in 2019 he was telling opposition teams to "come get me"
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ld-other-players-come-get-me-in-october/

Let's not forget that last offseason he was telling Von Miller not to come to Cleveland.
https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/01/28/odell-beckham-jr-von-miller-last-offseason-dont-come-to-cleveland

Funnily enough - while i have seen a lot of independent reporting on all of these things, I have only seen on this forum where anyone questioned the injury to Baker and whether it had much of an impact, and yet that is being claimed as something that is "out there" over and over. I even googled to see if I could find something and came up blank - in fact what I found was Case Keenum talking about how the injury was worse than anyone knew. I've also never ever ever heard Baker didn't throw OBJ the ball because he didn't want OBJ to be a bigger star than Baker - that's another thing I've only ever read here ... from the same guy making the claim about the injury. Hmmmm.

Last edited by mgh888; 05/07/22 08:47 AM.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
When the Colts traded Wentz, they had Sam Ehlinger and James Morgan on their roster at QB. They had made the decision to move on from him and they got something in return. Maybe they "knew" they would later get Matt Ryan...maybe they threw the dice...but they decisively made a move after determining that their QB just wasn't the guy for them.

Ryan is quoted the other day saying he would still probably be with Atlanta if not for the Watson talk. Not that that means a whole lot

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

People will believe what they want to believe. No harm in that.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
[/color]
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
j/c:

People will believe what they want to believe. No harm in that.

[color:#FFFFCC]vers...some deal with facts...some just make crap up because they know they can sell it those who are too damn lazy to dig for the facts.

OBJ never wanted to play for Cleveland and was willing to do anything he could to get out.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I can present my facts w/out insulting others. I will say this again. I am not a liar and I don't appreciate being called one. I am not "making" anything up. Now, you can go on and on like some others, but as w/them, I am done speaking to you.

B
Legend
Legend
B

Maybe they knew they had a trade partner?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

No doubt. As it played out they had one in WAS. But landing Ryan was not in the cards at the time they jettisoned Wentz. The Browns could have done the same thing though (trade their QB with only backups on the roster) - except their non-longer-wanted QB recently had surgery. The issue I was addressing though was in the comments about how the Browns couldn't trade Baker until they signed his replacement...which did not deter the Colts from moving on from their QB. I'm not bagging on the FO for not getting rid of Baker before landing Watson...it just adds more context to an almost-crazy string of events/non-events.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I can present my facts

No, you can present your opinion. There is only one set if facts.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C

No doubt. As it played out they had one in WAS. But landing Ryan was not in the cards at the time they jettisoned Wentz. The Browns could have done the same thing though (trade their QB with only backups on the roster) - except their non-longer-wanted QB recently had surgery. The issue I was addressing though was in the comments about how the Browns couldn't trade Baker until they signed his replacement...which did not deter the Colts from moving on from their QB. I'm not bagging on the FO for not getting rid of Baker before landing Watson...it just adds more context to an almost-crazy string of events/non-events.

The difference between the Wentz and Baker situations is that the Colts were all the way done with Wentz while we would have started Baker had we not gotten Watson.

P
Legend
Legend
P
And that's been my contention all along. I don't think the Browns were looking to make what they saw as a slight upgrade or a lateral move. Ryan is 36 years old and nearing the end of his career. That's not the type of option I think the Browns were looking for. I think they either wanted to find what they felt was a home run hitter or stand pat given the options. You can't just trade off Baker without having an upgrade available. There was no way they knew if they would win the watson sweepstakes or not. How dumb would they have looked had they traded Baker away only to end up with some band aid or a crappy draft to address the QB position? There was already proof that a healthy Baker could take the team to the playoffs. They wanted more. Some of these other options wouldn't have given them anything close to watson on the field of play. Much less a long time solution to the QB position.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
The difference between the Wentz and Baker situations is that the Colts were all the way done with Wentz while we would have started Baker had we not gotten Watson.

I'm not sure this is true. I'm pretty sure BOTH Baker and the Browns were done with one another. Whether or not we got Watson is irrelevant, IMO.

Tackles are tackles.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

I'm not sure this is true. I'm pretty sure BOTH Baker and the Browns were done with one another. Whether or not we got Watson is irrelevant, IMO.

I think the plan was to keep Baker up until the point in which we got a visit with Watson. The Colts were moving on from Wentz no matter what happened with anyone else.

V
Legend
Legend
V

I don't know the answer to this, but it's reasonable to say that both possibilities are realistic. On one hand, the Browns did say they were going to bring Baker back next year. On the other hand, it was pretty obvious that things were getting really messy between Baker and the coaching staff, Baker and the organization, and Baker and some of the players.

So again, I can see why it's possible they may have brought him back, especially since Jimmy G had a injury to his throwing shoulder. But, I can see why they may have wanted to part ways w/him because he was so divisive. I kinda lean in that direction because we are seeing how things are playing out in regards to how the NFL views Baker.

I'm hoping Seattle gives us something for him, but we might be better off just keeping him and having him sit at home and then maybe receiver a compensatory pick next year after he signs somewhere else. I do want to say I am not sure if I am correct about the compensatory pick. That part of football doesn't pique my interest, so I could very well be wrong about that.

O
Legend
Legend
O
OBJ was/is a cancer in the WR room.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by cfrs15
I think the plan was to keep Baker up until the point in which we got a visit with Watson. The Colts were moving on from Wentz no matter what happened with anyone else.

I don't know what the plan was - but I have read a LOT on this board claiming Baker was out no matter what because he is such a cancer and none of his teammates liked him. I probably lean towards thinking Baker was the plan if they failed to get Watson - but I don't know.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I mean really, think about it people - what team in their right mind would trade for a QB that is currently off injured and no guarantee that he'll be ready for the season? Now there's been a few teams that put out feelers to see if the Brown's would deal at a discount but no team is going to take on Mayfield's contract with the unknown of availability. There are those here who say the lack of activity is how the NFL views Baker. They view him as damaged goods due to injury at this point - nothing more. Name me a team that traded for a QB during the middle of his rehab from a serious injury. Not one that has been cleared to play - one that is in the freaking middle of his rehab. Even more importantly, no team would even think about making that trade unless the player could pass an entrance cleared to play physical - Mayfield cannot do that at this time. You have the same thing going on with Jimmy G except people aren't calling Jimmy G the scum QB of the NFL like they are Baker - THEY'RE BOTH REHABING FROM INJURY - thus no serious trade offers. It's as simple as that.

Teams are not seriously inquiring about Mayfield or Jimmy G because of the uncertainty of them even being available for the start of the season.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
B
Legend
Legend
B

Maybe. The fact remains is it would have been dumb to trade a QB who is at least good enough before having another locked up. That would be like quitting a pretty good paying job before you have a better paying job locked up. Doing so isn't considered a wise move.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

Maybe. The fact remains is it would have been dumb to trade a QB who is at least good enough before having another locked up. That would be like quitting a pretty good paying job before you have a better paying job locked up. Doing so isn't considered a wise move.

I am not personally interested in debating whether the move(s) was wise...but the sequence of events were played out completely opposite than with/by the Colts.

The Colts were not going to start Ehlinger or BillyBob if they couldn't trade Wentz...they went 'all-in' and got something for a QB who simply wasn't 'good-enough' for them. THEN they went on the hunt for a replacement - possibly including the hunt for Watson.

Here's the thing though...if the Browns were willing to start Baker if they didn't get Watson AND the Colts were D-O-N-E with Wentz (with no viable QB on the roster)...why was Wentz trade-able and Baker is not? The answer is timing, a healthy QB and a lack of baggage - other than Wentz' habitually awful QB play.

The Colts gambled and eventually got someone they wanted while turning the old QB into draft assets...they took a big chance with that (after pulling down their pants one year earlier to land the guy in the first place). The Browns gambled and got what they wanted while putting themselves into a no-leverage situation with their old QB.

Just another example/reason/excuse as to how we got where we are.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c,

Well at least the Baker apologist are consistent in placing the blame with the FO for Baker's piss poor trade value.

[Linked Image]

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
fl...how much trade value did OBJr have ?

What did the Harvard Boys get in return for him?

Odie even gave the Browns front office plenty of lead time to get a deal done for him, telling the Browns front office he didn't want to play in Cleveland at least months ahead of forcing his way out of Cleveland.

P
Legend
Legend
P
At least they're consistent in absolving the FO from having any responsibility in the situation they find themselves in.

#gmstrong
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum 2022 Browns/NFL Free Agency Signings/News

Link Copied to Clipboard