Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
The other thread is 10 pages long and will be locked soon.

I was looking at the remaining free agents who might fit in w/the Browns. I am referencing Gregg Rosenthal's list, which can be found at
https://www.nfl.com/news/top-101-nfl-free-agents-of-2022-who-are-the-best-nfl-players-available

I will use his order of the rankings of guys we could be bring aboard.

James Bradberry is a 29 year old corner who was just released by the Giants for monetary reasons. I don't think we would go after him because we have good corners and he will be expensive. However, Berry values that position.

Jadeveon Clowney. He's 29 years old. Obviously, there is a good chance we will bring him back. I hope we do.

Melvin Ingram is a 33 year old Edge rusher. He played well for the Chiefs after they got him from the Steelers. I kinda doubt we go after him.

Jarvis Landry is 29. I'd like to see us bring him back. I think we need a veteran presence in the WR room. And I believe he can still play.

Jerry Hughes is a 34 year old Edge guy. I think we could get him on the cheap if Clowney doesn't return. It would be a one-year rental.

Akiem Hicks is a 32 year old DT. He has been injured, but he is disruptive and would give us the size our interior line needs. He too, would be a one-year rental.

Trey Flowers is 29 and is a DE. He has been hurt the last two years, but had 3 excellent years before that. Not sure if he fits our scheme?

Will Fuller is 28. He's fast. He misses a lot of time for various reasons, including a suspension and a personal issue. Nah.

Justin Houston is 33, but he can be a situational Edge rusher for us. He played well for the Ravens last year.

Sheldon Richardson is 31. I still don't agree w/us getting rid of him. He could help.

Ndamukong Suh is 35. He still can play well due to his super human strength. Another one-year rental guy.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
100 percent bullcrap.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
2 members like this: jfanent, AZBrown
M
Legend
Legend
M
Could be. The league source could be anyone really, like Landry's agent making the Browns look bad in the eyes of fans on his way out.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It was reported by Z on Browns daily that Jerry Hughes is signing with the Texans.

[Linked Image]

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Thanks. Do you like any of the guys on the list at DT? Who would you like if we can't sign Clowney as our Edge guy? Anyone? I see all of them as short-term fixes. We've lost guys at DT, Edge, and WR. Gotta get some bodies to help.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
Could be. The league source could be anyone really, like Landry's agent making the Browns look bad in the eyes of fans on his way out.

Not bashing you personally bro. You only reported what you saw or heard. I just know better. We offer Him between 6 to 8 million per year for two years., and slightly more for one year.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Thanks. Do you like any of the guys on the list at DT? Who would you like if we can't sign Clowney as our Edge guy? Anyone? I see all of them as short-term fixes. We've lost guys at DT, Edge, and WR. Gotta get some bodies to help.

There really is not a lot available fot the DT market ... I would think that we might roll with the guys we have and perhaps pickup a Veteran DT off of waivers/cuts after the rookies have come in and have replaced their roster spot ... last season we kept 5 DTs' and 4 DEs' ... I could see those numbers being flipped this season ... because I think that Isaiah Thomas (why we will probably keep 5) and Wright can both reduce down on passing defenses ... Winovich can be our (value) DPR.

On a side note: Has anyone else noticed that Tommy Togiai Looks about 20 lbs ligher in his off-season workout pictures? It doesn't appear to me like he plans to play the NT position.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by GMdawg

Not bashing you personally bro. You only reported what you saw or heard. I just know better. We offer Him between 6 to 8 million per year for two years., and slightly more for one year.

Is the door closed?

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
"Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network described the options for Landry as very limited after turning down a “nice sum” offer from Cleveland on a one year deal."

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Report: Jarvis Landry turned down deal from Cleveland Browns

It sounds like the Browns tried to bring back free agent Jarvis Landry, but were turned down.

BRANDON LITTLE3 HOURS AGO
link

It looks like the door is completely shut on Jarvis Landry returning to the Cleveland Browns. According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, the free-agent wide receiver turned down a deal from the team. Rapoport appeared on the Pat McAfee Show today.

The deal was said to be a one-year deal, which makes sense from the Browns' standpoint, and the receivers they currently have on the roster. From the time that the Browns cut Landry, there was rumored to be a reunion between the two. It was a realistic option that never came to fruition. There are two reasons, money and usage.

Landry likely wants at least a two-year deal, since he is at the back end of his career. Maximizing your value is something that everyone is entitled to due, it makes the most sense. Browns drafted David Bell out of Purdue, and also have Anthony Schwartz, another young player.

Landry’s role would have been limited due to the wide receiver room’s constitution. Cleveland hopes Schwartz takes a step in year two, and that Bell will hit the ground running. This minimizes the role that Landry could have had on this team.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by mac
Report: Jarvis Landry turned down deal from Cleveland Browns

It sounds like the Browns tried to bring back free agent Jarvis Landry, but were turned down.

it's probably because Baker is still on the team

The more things change the more they stay the same.
1 member likes this: jfanent
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
He should have taken it so he could play with Deshaun after all is not Deshaun a top
5 qb able to attract pro bowl talent.

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
Is this the same wide receiver that thought he should get payed as much.as Michael Williams wr San Diego?
He is such a genius.
At this stage he is worth about a 65 to 70 level wr.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
It's amazing how fast threads can disintegrate. Damn, it took some time to put that list together.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Returning to the topic:

Of course, it starts with Clowney he's proven to impact this defense. If not, I like Ingram. I was impressed with how he played in KC. The latest bit of news I read says the team intends to pursue Hughes if Clowney doesn't sign. Anyone other than Clowney gets the AB special, 1-year deal.

Akiem Hicks would be my choice at DT. I think you have to be careful with his reps so retaining one of the UDFA D-linemen perhaps to the practice squad would make sense.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Thanks guard. I hope Clowney returns, too. Not sure which Edge guy I prefer if Clowney doesn't return. Wanted to hear what you guys had to say. I don't think FL Dawg likes any of them and I understand that. I'm just not sure rolling w/a rookie or that long-haired dude we got from NE as the main guy. I would like to see rotational guys if we don't re-sign JC.

DT, I always thought Hicks was a beast in Chicago. I agree w/you that we would have to limit his reps. I think Suh would be a good fit. While the 4-2-5 relies on faster, lighter, more agile guys on D, most guys who run it have some beef in the middle of the d-line. Not sure how much money Suh would want? That could be a hang-up.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
It's amazing how fast threads can disintegrate. Damn, it took some time to put that list together.

There is an active thread right now talking about DTs & DEs.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Interesting question if we don't get Clowney...I think Hughes, as the rumors state, may be the best option. But I would actually love to get Richardson in here either way. Not because I think he is great and amazing....but rather I think the bro fest of Richardson, Garrett, and Clowney would be so much fun to watch...LOL And I think he would be a very good influence on the Young DT's while giving us very solid play.

Would love to bring back Landry, but it doesn't appear that is going to happen...I think the Browns are content to leave the WR Room be at this point unless a surprise comes with a June cut. I am ok with that. I think Watson can lift them a little which could go a long way.

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Hammer

Who all do the Texans have under contract now? I feel like they've signed about 100 random players already this off-season. Rasheem Green had been a guy that I thought might fit us as a "big" end, and the Texans signed him, too.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
NT Eddie Goldman ... cut from the Bears (and still a FA) saving them around $6M is who I would inquire about ... he is still only 28 and has started 73 games in the League ... his best year was in 2018, and he was amoung those who opted out in the 2020 season ... signed a 4 yr(s) / $42,040,000 w/the Bears (in 2018) who drafted him in the 2nd (#39) round back in 2015.

[Linked Image]

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
It's probably tough to grade interior defensive tackles due to them having different roles, but Goldman's PFF grades from last year were dreadful. He had an Overall grade of 39.8, a Pass Rush grade of 59.7, and a Run grade of 37.4.

His teammate, Akiem Hicks, had grades of 72.3, 71.9, and 66.0 for comparison sake.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It's probably tough to grade interior defensive tackles due to them having different roles, but Goldman's PFF grades from last year were dreadful. He had an Overall grade of 39.8, a Pass Rush grade of 59.7, and a Run grade of 37.4.

His teammate, Akiem Hicks, had grades of 72.3, 71.9, and 66.0 for comparison sake.

Yeah he did have a subpar season last year, this after opting out the year before (he is a big man, which probably caused him to get out of shape.). Hicks is more of 3/5 tech tho and is on the wrong side of 30, which hasn't worked out too well for us bringing in older Veterans who don't seem to have anything much left too offer a team and are looking for a paycheck.

[Linked Image]

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
JC...

if we are looking to spend cheaply at WR I wouldn't mind the team looking at Devin Funchess (has the big frame at 6'4 235 that we don't have, high Sparq scores, still only 27, also has the draft pedigree that AB tends to like, will probably sign right near veteran minimum as well) Now I know he broke his collarbone a few years ago, then opted out the covid year, (seems a lot of players that opted out that year, fell into bouncing around since then) But i wouldn't mind him coming in to push the young guys....If something would happen to Njoku, I think Funchess could play Njokus outside reps (though I wouldn't trust Funchess to play inline) Similar build and speed sets, obviously Funchess isn't versed as a TE.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c....

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c....

The Browns part.....

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Please be true.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/202...n-clowney-predicted-to-sign-with-browns/

I would just have to laugh. Clowney - Suh - Perrion - Myles.

So much fun to watch. Suh is not the player he once was. Ok. However, he is still Suh. If he played 50% I would take that and be happy. Keep the big guy fresh.

No day at the beach for a quarterback. We might give up some first downs with roughing calls. That's ok. I would love to strike fear in quarterbacks.

"hello Mason, calling Mason where are you"?

What a riot it would be watching that front.

M
Legend
Legend
M
The Browns part.....

Lol. Well played.

Legend
Legend
j/c....

The Browns part.....

ok, we need more of THIS level of announcement. Well done, Chargers!

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

All Pro
All Pro
I like the Browns being dog chow flavor.

Minicrisps for Kuler Murray is just brutal.
As is the Falcons being frosted Pomegranate...cold blooded.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Browns part.....

Lol. Well played.

As was the Jaguars

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

C
Legend
Legend
C
Fare thee well

M
Legend
Legend
M
1 year deal.

M
Legend
Legend
M
We'll see Jarvis back in town on Christmas Eve!

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Good for him, but I sure wish we could have kept him. We desperately need a second receiver to compliment Cooper. I was hoping for a smart guy who was good at reading zone coverages, making sight adjustments and hot reads.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I will say I'm glad he didn't go to Baltimore. There were rumors out there about that connection.

1 member likes this: CapCity Dawg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
1 year deal.

I'm fine with Bell.

Legend
Legend
Best of luck to you Jarvis.

I will never fault effort and Jarvis brought that. He helped the Browns get out of darkness and I appreciate his work.

I wish we could have kept him. But that is how it goes sometimes.

I hope what we have is good enough.

1 member likes this: mgh888
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum 2022 Browns/NFL Free Agency Signings/News Continued

Link Copied to Clipboard