Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Appears with the interception that led to Baker's injury and his concussion , there was some under utilization of play.

DeisleDawg #1936455 03/30/22 08:52 PM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
My problem with Schwartz...he seems to have an issue hanging onto the ball, more concerned with getting hit, looking for defenders before securing the ball...leading to drops.

He is very raw and somewhat of a 'project' who needs a lot of work.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Pro-football-reference shows 52 special team snaps (15%). 15 kick returns averaging 21.5 yards per return with a long of 35. Not sure if the other snaps were touchbacks or what. He's credited with 2 tackles, but they may have been after turnovers. He did miss 3 games in the middle of the season and was only on the field for 33% of the team's offensive snaps.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Bull_Dawg #1936463 03/30/22 09:28 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
Pro-football-reference shows 52 special team snaps (15%). 15 kick returns averaging 21.5 yards per return with a long of 35. Not sure if the other snaps were touchbacks or what. He's credited with 2 tackles, but they may have been after turnovers. He did miss 3 games in the middle of the season and was only on the field for 33% of the team's offensive snaps.

I think part of his lack of reps as a kickoff returner is because of the concussion. He didn't start the season as a returner but he took over for Felton I believe.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
He ran back a few kickoffs as Bull Dawg indicated.

His speed hasn't really translated yet. His hands are a bit suspect. He doesn't have much jiggle... picture Forest Gump. I think it was a wasted pick.

I also think Berry got played a bit trading up for JOK. Can't complain, but we traded the higher of our 3rd round picks to Carolina (89) along with 59. Our other 3rd was only two slots lower, at 91, we should have dealt that. As it turns out, Houston lead-frogged us (traded with Carolina for our original pick lol) to snag Nico Collins.

I love Nico and had him on my wish list last year, I knew we would be close and thought we may have to move a few picks to grab him. He didn't have a great season, but improved a lot over the year. I'm sincerely hoping he was our target and we just got played... if the FO had Schwartz ranked higher, you can color me disappointed (and confused).

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Swish #1936498 03/31/22 07:05 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
One of the reasons sited in drafting Schwartz was his intelligence.

Schwartz was injured during the season at different points. The offense was stuck in low gear. Baker was limited. Play calling was limited.

We became dependent upon 12/13 sets using the run game. Teams stacked the box and dared us to throw. The offense was bad.

As a speed player who was a receiver project Schwartz got lost in the shuffle.

This off season is important for Schwartz. He has a "to do" list to work on. Jarvis has been a mentor to him. If he is to make it in the NFL this year is key.

He will come to camp in a different place with a year behind him. He will be in offense that will go to more 11 personnel. He will have a much different quarterback. All of the changes should be a benefit to his game.

DPJ is a different player in a different place. He has the potential to be a solid #2 playing both X and Z. He is a good route runner. He has developed and should play a large role with DW as quarterback.

Schwartz has potential but he must seize the moment this year.

Bull_Dawg #1936572 03/31/22 12:56 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg

Thank you.

mac #1937054 04/03/22 09:02 AM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
With Deshaun Watson aboard, Kevin Stefanski doesn't rule out wholesale changes to offense

Nate Ulrich
Akron Beacon Journal
link

PALM BEACH, Fla. — Browns coach Kevin Stefanski realizes he must strike a balance this offseason between tailoring his offense to Deshaun Watson and preparing for life without the controversial quarterback.

When the Browns acquired Watson on March 18 in a blockbuster trade with the Houston Texans, Cleveland's brass knew bracing for the NFL to suspend Watson would come with the territory.

The Browns not only shook up the top of their quarterback depth chart by securing Watson to replace Baker Mayfield, but they also traded backup QB Case Keenum to the Buffalo Bills on March 19 and signed Jacoby Brissett to fill the role.

Two dozen women have accused Watson of sexual misconduct or sexual assault during massage appointments. He faces 22 active lawsuits stemming from the allegations, but two grand juries in Texas decided March 11 and Thursday that he wouldn't be criminally charged. Watson continued to deny all wrongdoing Friday during his introductory news conference with the Browns.

The franchise will use its 33rd starting quarterback since its rebirth in 1999 when it opens the 2022 season in September.

And that starting QB might be Brissett instead of Watson, who will likely be suspended for at least part of next season.

“It's something we've spoken about,” Stefanski said Monday morning during the NFL owners meetings at The Breakers Palm Beach resort. “Until we know that final answer, I'm speaking in hypotheticals right now.

“But we have to be ready for whatever decision is made potentially go to Jacoby for a portion of it or not. We'll wait and see what the league has, and we'll plan accordingly when it comes to practice and those type of things.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Deshaun Watson expected to report to Browns headquarters April 19 for start of offseason workout program

Stefanski said he hasn't received clarification from the NFL about when it'll render a decision on a suspension.

In the meantime, the Browns are eyeing the start of their voluntary offseason workout program April 19 at CrossCountry Mortgage Campus in Berea, and Stefanski said he expects Watson to be in attendance from the onset.

There will be plenty to sort out, particularly what Stefanski's offense will look like with Watson at the controls instead of Mayfield. The Browns are expected to trade Mayfield, but they're in a holding pattern right now as they seek another team to take on the former No. 1 overall draft pick's guaranteed salary of $18.858 million for the next season.

"I think everybody understands the situation," Stefanski said, "and we’re hoping that there’s closure to it at some point."

Broken relationship with Baker Mayfield:Browns' Jimmy Haslam denies 'adult' at quarterback comment came from ownership

Browns legend Bernie Kosar:'Baker Mayfield at 100% is absolutely going to be a winning QB again'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How much will Cleveland Browns change their offense for Deshaun Watson?

When the Browns hired Stefanski as head coach in January 2020, he brought a system to Cleveland he learned from Gary Kubiak while they worked together in 2019 for the Minnesota Vikings. Its staples are play-action passing and a running game powered by outside zone blocking.

“As your roster evolves, you better evolve,” Stefanski said. “... When you're talking about the quarterback position, you better do what that player does best, and that's what we want to do, ultimately. I had a lot of really good conversations with Deshaun from a football perspective, with the coaches, and I think we have a good plan moving forward. But that'll be an evolution. I mean, that that'll be an evolution over the weeks, months.”

Will Stefanski go as far as essentially tossing his Kubiak-inspired scheme out the window?

“Ultimately, we want to run the 2022 Cleveland Browns offense, and whatever elements that has in it, we hope that we have enough in our offense where we can pivot week to week to certain elements,” Stefanski said. “But to say that we're going to wholesale change everything? We’ll see.”

Stefanski said the coaching staff has already begun a deep dive into what Watson did with the Texans, who had him operating mostly out of shotgun.

“There's some things that Deshaun has done in his career that we have done last couple years,” Stefanski said, “and there's a few other things that maybe we haven't featured that we want to do more of now that Deshaun is our quarterback and really match what we're doing to his skill set.

“[We'll be] putting together [on film] all the things he’s comfortable with, then sit down with him, with our coaches, and let him talk through why he’s comfortable because what we need to do is we need to understand the plays he has 500 reps on and he has rote memory about what to do on each one of those plays that maybe aren’t a huge part of our offense. If he’s comfortable with it, we want to make sure we transition that into our offense.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Deshaun Watson allegations discussed in meeting with Cleveland Browns

The Browns talked football when they met with Watson on March 15 in Houston during the sweepstakes for the three-time Pro Bowl selection's services.

“It was really showing him who was on our roster, who we have,” Stefanski said, “and then certain schematics that we featured previously and then really going through the tape of what he had and showing him some of the things that he's done that work.”

Deshaun Watson allegations discussed in meeting with Cleveland Browns
The Browns talked football when they met with Watson on March 15 in Houston during the sweepstakes for the three-time Pro Bowl selection's services.

“It was really showing him who was on our roster, who we have,” Stefanski said, “and then certain schematics that we featured previously and then really going through the tape of what he had and showing him some of the things that he's done that work.”

But Stefanski insisted he also spent time asking Watson tough questions about the allegations he faces.

“I won't get into all the specifics, but I will tell you that's an important meeting to get face to face for the first time and ask those questions and understand the person,” Stefanski said. “So I think it's an important step in that process was getting is front of him and finding out what he was about.”

Despite Watson's off-field baggage, the Browns traded six picks for him, including a first-round choice in each of the next three drafts, and signed him to a five-year contract worth an NFL-record $230 million fully guaranteed.

Marla Ridenour column:Browns' Deshaun Watson trade triggers past for sexual assault victims. I am one of them

Stefanski declined to provide details, but he discussed the decision with people inside and outside of the Browns organization. He consulted his father and longtime NBA executive Ed Stefanski. He indicated he also spoke with chief of staff/assistant wide receivers coach Callie Brownson and other women who work for the Browns.

“We want people to be involved, and I wanted to do way more listening than talking in those discussions and understand where everybody was,” Stefanski said. “It's hard and complicated and not easy, but I think it was my job and our job to listen. It's my job to continue to listen and continue to have that dialogue with all of our staff, particularly our women.

“I've tried, we've tried to be so understanding of everybody's viewpoint on this because it's really, really, really important. I want to just make sure that I'm available in our building to everyone to talk through because it's not something that was taken lightly. It's just too important. I wanted to make sure that everybody understood that this is something that took weeks, months, weeks of gathering information, of discussions and conversations. It's not something we could take lightly.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kevin Stefanski knows his relationship with Deshaun Watson will be crucial

On Friday, General Manager Andrew Berry described the research the Browns conducted on Watson in the buildup to the trade as “a five-month odyssey.” The comments indicate the early stages of the front office's due diligence on Watson began in October. Stefanski said he didn't become a major part of the agenda until after the Jan. 9 season finale.

“Until we're out of the season, I don't really get involved in those type of things,” said Stefanski, who announced earlier this month he will continue to call the offense's plays in 2022. “Obviously, once the season's unfolded, then we start talking about our plan moving forward. That's when I get looped in. But I was trying to get a first down back then [in the fall].”

Moving the chains became more difficult than it should have been for the Browns because their passing game fell apart last season. Mayfield suffered a completely torn labrum in his left, non-throwing shoulder in Week 2, struggled throughout the vast majority of the year and had surgery Jan. 19. His relationship with Stefanski also soured, with Mayfield publicly criticizing the coach's play calling twice last season.

It's worth noting Watson wasn't happy in Houston, even before the first lawsuit had been filed against him in March 2021. He asked for a trade in January 2021 after signing a four-year, $156 million extension with the Texans in September 2020. He also informed the Browns on March 17 he would not waive his no-trade clause for them, only to reverse course the next day and choose Cleveland over the Atlanta Falcons, New Orleans Saints and Carolina Panthers.

“I don't have a concern about that,” Stefanski said. “We talked about a lot of things. Not to get into the specifics of everything that happened with him in Houston, but we talked about a lot of things.”

Stefanski is confident he and his assistants can maximize Watson's talent, even though the partnership with Mayfield imploded.

“I think so much of that is the relationship between the play caller and the quarterback and making sure that you are aligned and seeing the game similarly, and that's where we just have to get to work,” Stefanski said, speaking about Watson. “When the guys are back in in April, we have a lot of ground to cover. And I know that he will put in the work to do that.”

At the same time, Brissett needs to gear up to start the season opener in case a suspension sidelines Watson.

“We just wanted to add a good player at the backup quarterback position,” Stefanski said. “[Brissett has] been through it, has started a lot of football games. He’s really a smart young man. Just getting to know him when they brought him in throughout the process, and I think we got a really good one there.”

Nate Ulrich can be reached at nulrich@thebeaconjournal.com.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #1937058 04/03/22 09:21 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Many of Stefanski's comments in regards to the evolution of the offense are simply coach-speak. I'm sure that some wrinkles will be adopted to highlight Watson's amazing physical abilities, but I think the scheme that is from the Shanahan/Kubiak tree is a great fit for Watson. In fact, I think he is going to thrive in this offense and the scheme that some have criticized on this board, is going to flourish w/a qb who has such an outstanding skill set.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Many of Stefanski's comments in regards to the evolution of the offense are simply coach-speak. I'm sure that some wrinkles will be adopted to highlight Watson's amazing physical abilities, but I think the scheme that is from the Shanahan/Kubiak tree is a great fit for Watson. In fact, I think he is going to thrive in this offense and the scheme that some have criticized on this board, is going to flourish w/a qb who has such an outstanding skill set.

Having everything fall in place, this will be exciting football !

mac #1937060 04/03/22 09:41 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
"On Friday, General Manager Andrew Berry described the research the Browns conducted on Watson in the buildup to the trade as “a five-month odyssey.” The comments indicate the early stages of the front office's due diligence on Watson began in October. Stefanski said he didn't become a major part of the agenda until after the Jan. 9 season finale."

So...when/while the FO publicly stated the Baker was their starter for '22...they were (3+) months into courting DW?

“Until we're out of the season, I don't really get involved in those type of things,” said Stefanski...

yeah....riiiiight.

“We just wanted to add a good player at the backup quarterback position,” Stefanski said. “[Brissett has] been through it, has started a lot of football games. He’s really a smart young man. Just getting to know him when they brought him in throughout the process, and I think we got a really good one there.”

So...neither Baker nor Keenum were what Ski needs at QB. Interesting.

WSU Willie #1937086 04/03/22 11:20 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
It's odd how posters want us to consider everything the FO says is a lie until they want us to believe what they're saying is the truth. It seems to fluctuate depending on the topic.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
WSU Willie #1937190 04/04/22 10:54 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
I might be splitting hairs here, but researching Watson is NOT the same as courting Watson. I think they've been relatively honest about the fact that there are no sacred cows on this team. Pretty much EVERYONE is upgradeable.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
T
Legend
Legend
T
I think when this offense falls apart, Haslam will not be able to control himself enough to keep Stefanski, and then it is back to square one, but without even salary cap room. When the running game stops working because Trettor is not the center...
aw, what do I know, it's all going to be Rainbows and Cereal Brand characters, it's April afterall. thumbsup Go Team!

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
THROW LONG #1937345 04/05/22 09:55 AM
Legend
Legend
Of note:
"We are undefeated." Felt good saying that out loud. (Wanna get those in early.)

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
bonefish #1943750 05/08/22 12:33 PM
Legend
Legend

i said the other thread i think this dude could make a case for ROY. if we don't resign landry, i think Bell would make an immediate impact on O. if we resign landry, there's absolutely no way i'm fine with letting felton take any snaps on O over Bell. anything we do on offense that's exotic better have Bell on the field and not felton.

this dude really can be a game changer, especially with Amari, Njoku, and possibly DPJ taking most of the attention.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1943762 05/08/22 01:57 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Bell doesn't have the measurables that teams look for, especially the Browns. However, the guy can ball. I watched him multiple times and all he does is catch the ball and make big plays in crunch time. I'd love to have learn the finer points of the game from Landry because he could be a very similar type player.

Legend
Legend
i would love to have landry on this team, and bell learning from him. i can imagine plays where both of them are on the field together as well.

if that doesn't happen, i do wonder about Schwartz. man, Bell's route running is already at a good level for a rookie, i wonder if Bell will be taking snaps away from Schwartz early in into the season.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1943791 05/08/22 07:50 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think I agree about Schwartz. I didn't like the pick at the time. I hope he proves me wrong, but he does not seem like a natural catcher of the football. I haven't seen enough of him to be sure. Again, I hope I am wrong.

Swish #1943839 05/09/22 10:23 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Bell has excellent hands and is very similar to what Landry brings to the table. Bell should become our possession WR as teams double Cooper and Bell has the ability to create separation. With our running game and the usage of play action the middle should be open and Bell should take advantage of that. He could give us some pleasant results. Good call Swish!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #1944005 05/10/22 12:31 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by eotab
Bell has excellent hands and is very similar to what Landry brings to the table. Bell should become our possession WR as teams double Cooper and Bell has the ability to create separation. With our running game and the usage of play action the middle should be open and Bell should take advantage of that. He could give us some pleasant results. Good call Swish!

he's a mix of landry and...remember this guy? Davone Bess. i can see Bell breaking ankles regular basis by year 2.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1944008 05/10/22 12:46 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
That's a name from the past right there! Dang.

My favorite pick in the draft was Winfrey by a mile. But I do love the Bell pick and I do see Bell working his way to WR3 very soon. There is a lot to like. My memory of bess is someone smaller and maybe more of an ankle breaker than Bell, but we’ll see. Can't wait.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
mgh888 #1944034 05/10/22 03:36 PM
Legend
Legend
I'm wondering how quickly he'll be a major contributor in Stefanski's offense. DPJ is penciled in as #2, but especially with his scheme combined with the current rules, I wouldn't be shocked if Bell ends up with more targets and catches than DPJ at the end of the season.

but primarily i think he gets involved early is because other than Cooper, there really is no other WR on the roster that is clear cut better than Bell. will any of us be surprised if Bell takes snaps away from Schwartz come preseason? DPJ has flashed the most, but still needs a lot of work and is a question mark.

i think its likely that the top 3 targets on our offense at the end of the year will be Cooper, Njoku, Bell in that order. it won't be that many targets because of our run game, but i'm just hoping both him and DPJ do well this season.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1944046 05/10/22 05:07 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Agree with all that. Schwartz was taken as a 3rd round pick needing time to develop but with elite speed and twitch. Bell is the opposite and more NFL ready right now. Being bigger, having better route running and better hands I don't doubt Bell will push Schwartz from the get go.

I think DPJ will lead the team in YPC. And definitely per target. He's going to be the chuck it up 1 on 1 guy on the outside and his rookie season he seemed to excel at that.
Cooper + Njoku/Bell should definitely get the most work under and across the middle. Hoping the light bulb has REALLY come on for Njoku but he'll still split targets with Bryant and I cos see Bell and him being v close to same numbers.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Swish #1944049 05/10/22 05:14 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
IMO DW is the new offense.

He does many things really well. Opposing defenses looking at the 2022 Browns offense have a lot to prepare for.

DW adds a dimension with his legs. So, defenses must prepare for RPO's. In shotgun or under center with Chubb or Hunt in the backfield linebackers have to cheat to the run or get gashed. They have to honor that DW can run. So, in 11 personnel. Cooper, DPJ, (Bell or Schwartz) Njoku is the single TE. There will have to be space down the middle for Njoku or in the flat. Njoku should get many more catches than he has had as a Brown. Njoku will be a nightmare assignment for a linebacker because of what DW brings as a threat both as a runner and making plays outside of structure.

Because of what DW can do. Hunt may have more total yards than Chubb. Not more than Chubb as a rusher but combined as a runner and receiver. DW will have check down options that can add mucho YAC.

Cooper specifically and the other receivers as a whole will get lots of yards. Cooper, DPJ and Bell are excellent route runners. DW is accurate and has great ball placement. That is a compliment to this receiver group. We will have more passing yards than we have ever had.

The Browns 2022 offense will put a lot of pressure on defenses. The mobility of DW and his ability outside of structure will be hard to defend.

Teams know what Chubb and Hunt bring to the party. The OL is top level. Before the first snap of a game defenses will know what they face.

This is not a bunch of hopeful draft prospects. The Browns are loaded with proven NFL talent.

eotab #1944052 05/10/22 05:52 PM
Legend
Legend
I have yearned for a return to Brennan - type days. Fingers crossed that Bell might give us that. I will miss Landry.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
bonefish #1944053 05/10/22 05:59 PM
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
Sorry disagree I see team starting 2000 yards at wr plus tight end
Cooper will get doubled all day and Deshaun will face 8 man blitzes continously.

What games are you watching in the Kc playoff game he put 19 points where was the Rpo that game.
How about the Indy playoff game How many points did his Rpo put up against Indianapolis?
That team was trotting out Jj Watt from 5 years ago
This the playoffs qb you are spending 55,000,000 million for plus 3 number 1s

bonefish #1944054 05/10/22 06:04 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mgh888
Agree with all that. Schwartz was taken as a 3rd round pick needing time to develop but with elite speed and twitch. Bell is the opposite and more NFL ready right now. Being bigger, having better route running and better hands I don't doubt Bell will push Schwartz from the get go.

I think DPJ will lead the team in YPC. And definitely per target. He's going to be the chuck it up 1 on 1 guy on the outside and his rookie season he seemed to excel at that.
Cooper + Njoku/Bell should definitely get the most work under and across the middle. Hoping the light bulb has REALLY come on for Njoku but he'll still split targets with Bryant and I cos see Bell and him being v close to same numbers.

think Bryant takes a leap this year? dude is talented.

Originally Posted by bonefish
IMO DW is the new offense.

He does many things really well. Opposing defenses looking at the 2022 Browns offense have a lot to prepare for.

DW adds a dimension with his legs. So, defenses must prepare for RPO's. In shotgun or under center with Chubb or Hunt in the backfield linebackers have to cheat to the run or get gashed. They have to honor that DW can run. So, in 11 personnel. Cooper, DPJ, (Bell or Schwartz) Njoku is the single TE. There will have to be space down the middle for Njoku or in the flat. Njoku should get many more catches than he has had as a Brown. Njoku will be a nightmare assignment for a linebacker because of what DW brings as a threat both as a runner and making plays outside of structure.

Because of what DW can do. Hunt may have more total yards than Chubb. Not more than Chubb as a rusher but combined as a runner and receiver. DW will have check down options that can add mucho YAC.

Cooper specifically and the other receivers as a whole will get lots of yards. Cooper, DPJ and Bell are excellent route runners. DW is accurate and has great ball placement. That is a compliment to this receiver group. We will have more passing yards than we have ever had.

The Browns 2022 offense will put a lot of pressure on defenses. The mobility of DW and his ability outside of structure will be hard to defend.

Teams know what Chubb and Hunt bring to the party. The OL is top level. Before the first snap of a game defenses will know what they face.

This is not a bunch of hopeful draft prospects. The Browns are loaded with proven NFL talent.

do you think Stefanski calls less plays with 2 TE's on the field? He might think it's better keep bryant on the field, at least until the receivers gel with Watson. i agree with hunt getting more yards, and i also think he gets Felton's snaps *if* he can stay healthy.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1944055 05/10/22 06:04 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Swish
Originally Posted by eotab

he's a mix of landry and...remember this guy? Davone Bess. i can see Bell breaking ankles regular basis by year 2.

I don't think he is that...and devon Bess? isn't he the guy Miami traded to us who turned out to be a psycho?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #1944056 05/10/22 06:11 PM
Legend
Legend
yea i was talking about on-the-field similarities though....

- Theodore Roosevelt
bonefish #1944057 05/10/22 06:16 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Nice post. I agree w/most of that. Also, keep in mind that Watson will be a huge improvement over Baker in regards to throwing from the pocket and being able to go through his progressions. I'm not sure about our WRs other than Cooper. I think we need another savvy vet who understands how NFL defenses work.

Swish #1944058 05/10/22 06:19 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
do you think Stefanski calls less plays with 2 TE's on the field? He might think it's better keep bryant on the field, at least until the receivers gel with Watson.

I think we now have more flexibility and can run 11 Personnel if we want to. I don't want that to be our base offense, though. I like the Shannahan/Kubiak scheme and I hope we continue to run 12 and 13 personnel and also add in 11 personnel. We should be a lot less predictable w/Watson at the controls.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
What he did with the Texans is only slightly relevant to what he will do with this team.

I hope he does face 8 man blitzes although I doubt he will.

You are entitled to your opinion. I just disagree. What the Texans did against Indy is not 2022 Browns offense.

I believe you have to look at the offense as an entire unit.

bonefish #1944074 05/10/22 07:18 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
What's an 8-man blitz? LOL

I know that is not your phrase. I just thought it was funny.

bonefish #1944088 05/10/22 10:02 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
What coach has the final responsibility for the offense?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Swish #1944100 05/11/22 06:54 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
IMO KS will use more 11 than before.

However, his goal remains the same. In every package he wants options and to remain unpredictable.

We will continue to ZBC. We will run. But the passing game will look different.

DW can play from the pocket. He can read defenses. There really is no limit to what the offensive playbook will look like.

They will use two TE's at times. Both Njoku and Bryant are good receiving options. I expect the offense to be prolific. In addition the defense will give them more opportunities.

bonefish #1944102 05/11/22 07:31 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
I'm curious why you think that.

IMO, the strength of our offense is our runningbacks, and then probably our TEs (?). I know we have Amari, but beyond him our WR corps is relatively weak. I'm a DPJ fan, but he hasn't (yet) proven to be that dynamite 2nd guy.

I don't think that lends itself to running more 11 than before. You try to have your best guys out there as much as possible.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
V
Legend
Legend
V
Just to butt in for a moment, I think the best unit on our team is the offensive line.

Legend
Legend
Agreed, Vers. They have also been compromised by play mix IMO. They could shine brighter with better run attack from Ski. Should get more credit with more success.

bonefish #1944113 05/11/22 08:44 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
We still lack a "proven" deep threat that the D has to worry about...that crowds the field and makes life difficult for any receiving options.

I never really liked the RPO as I think Chubb is much more dangerous when he is making the decision with space to decide where to go. Maybe DW's running ability/threat makes the RPO more effective...but I still prefer Chubb in the more traditional role. JMO

1 member likes this: Clemdawg
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum The Offense

Link Copied to Clipboard