Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
For example, a company takes shortcuts to save and ends up creating a baby formula shortage, with babies dying.

rofl

Oh boy, that's a zinger.

So the FDA should just close a facility suspected of cause and keep it closed?
Long after every shred of evidence says they weren't responsible?
Knowing that it produces 40% of the baby formula in the US?
With no contingency plan for the impact of the shortage?
No regard for the sanctity of feeding babies and the effect on parents?
At the tail end of a PANDEMIC that has destroyed any and all supply chains with or without product shortage?
With an economy going in the tank due to consumers being crushed by inflation?
Have people burning up roads looking for formula when fuel prices are the highest in human history??

You know the funny thing? Joe brags that he knew about it all along and thinks anyone above induced coma is impressed.

This script is straight out of Hollywood, and the obvious next scene should just be Joe taking the Costanza approach.

Whenever he needs to "think something up" to approach the next problem... he should just Do The Opposite.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

https://twitter.com/philrosenn/status/1526615388196286465?s=20&t=7oZsdr2NgMxqcT-n_4TmpA

Wait, what? If the dollar is up 14% against the world's other major currencies, how can the economy be so bad? How can inflation be so bad? Hmm...

that is about ridiculous as saying... My sister and I both eat McDonald's for breakfast lunch and dinner every day. But, I don't eat quite as much as my sister. Therefore; I'm healthy.

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This new inflation, due to supply chain shortages, is a corporate facade to cover the massive theft (transfer of wealth) during the pandemic IMO.

Clearly, you have never run a business. Otherwise, you would understand how wrong you are. The vast majority of businesses need to be competitively priced or they go out of business because consumers will go to their competitors or stop purchasing that product/service. That is why companies only raise their rates when they have to.

Inflation is a huge problem because of politicians. That last round of Biden Bucks flooded the market with cash. Everyone was telling them not to give more money away because it would cause massive inflation. Now, here we are and we all have to suffer for years to come.

1 member likes this: 40YEARSWAITING
B
Legend
Legend
B
Those people don't understand that. They just want their "free" stuff.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: 40YEARSWAITING
Legend
Legend
Dow sheds 1,164 points in worst day since 2020
Target says inflation will hurt profitability for the rest of the year

#DarnThatPutin

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by 40YEARSWAITING
Dow sheds 1,164 points in worst day since 2020
Target says inflation will hurt profitability for the rest of the year

#DarnThatPutin

tomorrow could be worse. lots of earnings coming out tomorrow.

futures are already down 100 pts.

Legend
Legend
Melvin Capital says it’s winding down funds and returning money to investors during market turmoil.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

Don't you dare use "THESE PEOPLE" with me in the quote. You deserve all the choice words I can throw at you at this moment. Take that crap back to the trailer park. Freebies, smfh.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
This new inflation, due to supply chain shortages, is a corporate facade to cover the massive theft (transfer of wealth) during the pandemic IMO.

Clearly, you have never run a business. Otherwise, you would understand how wrong you are. The vast majority of businesses need to be competitively priced or they go out of business because consumers will go to their competitors or stop purchasing that product/service. That is why companies only raise their rates when they have to.

Inflation is a huge problem because of politicians. That last round of Biden Bucks flooded the market with cash. Everyone was telling them not to give more money away because it would cause massive inflation. Now, here we are and we all have to suffer for years to come.

Clearly, you don't know a damn thing about me. And you are not very intelligent and it shows. There must be competitors to be competing, Kraft and the other big food companies HAVE NO COMPETITION. If there were competition in these shortages, the competitors would step up to fill the void. But there is only ONE maker of many of these formulas, like similac. And children that NEED a specific type are screwed when that company drops the ball. But hey, act indignant toward me all you want little feller, it's who you are.

This BS started as soon as the first BIG pandemic checks went out. The government opened the faucett and the corporate hogs swarmed the trough to squeeze every penny they could from those with the least. How else do you think they made billions while the country was shut down? Prove me wrong, you can't.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 05/18/22 07:49 PM.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by 40YEARSWAITING
Melvin Capital says it’s winding down funds and returning money to investors during market turmoil.

It's a long overdue correction.

V
Legend
Legend
V

Sadly, this is true. However, it's not entirely their fault because some use the "free stuff" as an incentive to keep them from trying to achieve. It's reminds me of the old psychological phrase as the opium of the people in that you give them just enough to allow them to survive, but are effectively oppressing them by reducing their drive to achieve. And the dummies out there that support such legislation fall for it and act like it is a gift or a right of passage. rolleyes

O
Legend
Legend
O
Another point about the stock market, 401ks, and all the financial tools talked about in here... The fed has pumped so much into the stock market over the last decade that is should be listed right along with welfare on the handouts list. Those profits are only a hair away from ill-gotten gains if they are not acknowledged. Had that money gone towards the poor and working class, this would be a much different country right now.

So the whole 'Free Market' spiel is in fact a delusion when it picks winners and losers. Poor people are scum for getting food and housing assistance, but a mid management guy with a 401K that only survived due to a bailout is not? One is no better than the other IMO. And over half the country has ZERO stock, so that money only benefited the investors, who hardly need it according to folks like Peen and 40. How about those FREEBIES? BILLIONS, if not trillions.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 05/18/22 08:36 PM.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog

Sadly, this is true. However, it's not entirely their fault because some use the "free stuff" as an incentive to keep them from trying to achieve. It's reminds me of the old psychological phrase as the opium of the people in that you give them just enough to allow them to survive, but are effectively oppressing them by reducing their drive to achieve. And the dummies out there that support such legislation fall for it and act like it is a gift or a right of passage. rolleyes

Do you really think a person working full time for low wages that still needs public assistance just to get by, NOT THRIVE, is being incentivized to stay poor? That may be one of the most disconnected things I've ever read out of you. I struggle to think you truly believe that. The problem in this country is not a lack of jobs or a lack of will to work. The problem is limited opportunities to actually break the bonds of economic wage slavery and move into the middle class. But if everyone had 200K/year jobs, we can see now exactly how that would go. Corporate greed driven inflation.

I don't think I've ever heard anybody exclaim, they just want to stay poor and live the great welfare life. Who even thinks this way? Truth is, given real opportunity, most those people (if educated/skilled) would jump at it. And it's our loss as a nation, because we will never know how many great minds have been unable to realize their true potential due to being impoverished. You know, those people.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 05/18/22 08:54 PM.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Do you really think a person working full time for low wages that still needs public assistance just to get by, NOT THRIVE, is being incentivized to stay poor?

Are you really going to go "Pit" on me? Where did I say anything about a person working full time and needing assistance? That's a different animal, OCD.

You may not believe this...........but I am highly educated and have worked in the educational field for a long time. Just today, I opened up a second business in addition to our home improvement business. This one is a tutoring business and I decided to do so because I have been receiving so many requests to tutor kids since I retired. Before you bash me w/words like "disconnected," please understand that I am actually on the side of those who are poor and are getting assistance. I want to empower them rather than enable them. Enablement is a form of oppression. Empowerment is about succeeding no matter what the circumstances are. Please don't place me into some stupid ass category that know-nothings have created. I do not think you are about oppressing people. I just think you are misinformed and not cognizant of where the deepest problems lie.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Sorry Vers, the 'those people' pissed me off and I misunderstood your partial agreeing. I knew you never said that, it was a scenario I made up to test your feelings on the matter. I know, deep down, you have some compassion for poor people. But some posters talk about them like they are all trash. Some, while being part of the group they are bashing.

V
Legend
Legend
V
No worries. I grew up very poor. Not as bad as my wife's situation, but it sucked. People looking down on your all the time. Feeling inferior to those who had nice things. My parents were a bit different in that my dad did have a good job and that company went bankrupt and we faced a very tough time. He eventually got it back together, but it took awhile. The crazy thing is that they never accepted any aide. They told my brother and I not to complain. They stressed hard work and education as a means to an out. Thank God for them and their strong will. We were poor, but we were proud. It's like the Stevie Wonder song where he says:
Her clothes are old, but never are they dirty
Loved that song growing up. I could so relate even though I wasn't black. Here it is:

And the lyrics:

A boy is born in hard time Mississippi
Surrounded by four walls that ain't so pretty
His parents give him love and affection
To keep him strong, moving in the right direction
Living just enough, just enough for the city

His father works some days for fourteen hours
And you can bet, he barely makes a dollar
His mother goes to scrub the floors for many
And you'd best believe, she hardly gets a penny

His sister's black, but she is sho'nuff pretty
Her skirt is short, but Lord her legs are sturdy
To walk to school, she's got to get up early
Her clothes are old, but never are they dirty

Her brother's smart, he's got more sense than many
His patience's long, but soon he won't have any
To find a job is like a haystack needle
'Cause where he lives they don't use colored people
Living just enough, just enough for the city, yeah

Everybody, city, yeah
(Living just enough for the city, whoa) Ain't nothin' but the city
(Living just enough for the city, whoa) Everybody, city, yeah
(Living just enough for the city, whoa) Ain't nothin' but the city
(Living just enough for the city, whoa) Living for the city, yeah
(Living just enough, for the city, whoa) The funky, cryin' city
(Living just enough, for the city, whoa) Living for the city

Ain't nothin' but the city
(Living just enough, for the city, whoa) Everybody clap you hand together now
(Living just enough, for the city, whoa) For the city
(Living just enough, for the city, whoa) For the city, yeah, yeah
(Living just enough, for the city, whoa)
(Living just enough, for the city, whoa)

The bus for New York City!
Hey bus driver, I'm getting on that, hold it
Thanks a lot
Wow, New York, just like I pictured it
Skyscrapers and everything

Psst, hey, hey brother, hey come here slick
Hey you look, you look hip man
Hey, you wanna make yourself five bucks, man?
Yeah, brother
Look here, run this across the street for me right quick
Okay, run this across the street for me

What? (Up against that goddamn car!) Huh? (Let's go)
I didn't know, what?
Gimme your hands up, you punk
I'm just going across the street
Put that leg up, shut your mouth
Hell no, what did I do?
Okay, turn around, turn around

Put your hands behind your back, let's go, lets go
A jury of your peers having found you guilty, ten years
What?
Come on, come on, get in that cell, [censored]
God, Lord

His hair is long, his feet are hard and gritty
He spends the life walking the streets of New York City
He's almost dead from breathing in air pollution
He tried and fought, but to him there's no solution
Living just enough, just enough for the city (yeah, yeah, yeah)

I hope you hear inside my voice of sorrow
And that it motivates you to make a better tomorrow
This place is cruel, nowhere could be much colder
If we don't change, the world will soon be over
Living just enough, stop giving just enough for the city

That is inner city poverty poetry, y'all.

O
Legend
Legend
O
We didn't have a lot growing up, but we always had what we needed. That was average middle class in my small hometown. My cousins thought we were rich, I learned not long ago, and I laughed in disbelief until I heard them tell us why. We ordered pizza out a couple times a week. LMAO, this is why they thought we were rich. It's sad but true.

And like you, never taken a dime I didn't earn. I've had enough wrong with me for at least a decade, that I would probably get disability the first time I apply... yet I haven't and probably never will. We are far from 'rich', but my idea of rich starts at 7 figures liquid, with assets to boot. We aren't hurting and are comfortable. But sometimes things come along and put you in a bind due to no fault of your own. Your dad is just one example. The business I lost in 2008 was another. Hell, it's 2022 and we are just back to a point that I no longer resent that loss. But life can do this stuff to people and when I hear others talk trash about 'those people', rather it's wealth, race, religion, ect. in utter ignorance; I see red.

The things used to separate us into groups with varied social status, that a person can be born into instead of achieving, should never be used as a weapon against them. I don't blame trust fund babies for their wealth, but I might judge them on their actions with said wealth. I don't hold anyone's religion against them, until they use it to hurt or impose their will upon others. And race is obvious... But I do hold ignorance and stupidity against those who refuse to grow intellectually. IMO, it's okay to be naive, young and dumb, or to not 'know everything'. I stumble across new things all the time. Being willfully uneducated or stupid in today's day and age (not mentally defective or handicapped) is such a waste of life and burden on greater society, it's just something I struggle to even tolerate. And I'm far from the brightest bulb in the box, but a long way from some of the crap I'm accused of in here. I've said it many times, I have no tolerance for stupidity. I think part of being an adult is growing every day by learning new things or more about things you already know. I don't get the crowd that sits on the couch watching reality TV night after night, never cracking a book or taking a course to improve themselves, while blaming everyone else for their less than stellar lives. Those are the dumbest people alive, IMO. Probably shouldn't think this way, but that was my impression of the average Trump voter in 2016; beyond the bigots, supremacists, and those wanting a dictator of course. I'm sure I'll get flamed for that, but it's how I feel.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 05/18/22 09:59 PM.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks for the response. I agree w/a lot of it, but not all of it. That's cool. I appreciate that it was genuine.

1 member likes this: FATE
O
Legend
Legend
O
Believe it or not, I prefer this. It's just so damn hard to do in here. Like I said in another post, maybe us burying the hatchet and having dialogue can change that. I'll try. But I will always go off when I see BS. It's who I am.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 05/18/22 10:03 PM.

1 member likes this: FATE
V
Legend
Legend
V
That would be great. I actually think there are some intelligent people here. That is very unlike many message boards. It would be awesome if we could move beyond the constant one-sided rhetoric and I gotta win this argument for my side and EVOLVE into discussions that were more intellectual and reasonable in nature. I know I am in the minority on this..........but I think our nation would be better served if we try to work together rather than alienating one another by harping on the faults of one side or the other.

Look.............I truly believe the powers that be have encouraged us peons to fight among ourselves way back to feudal days and perhaps even before that. It's a means to oppression. I want to fight back. With intelligence. With resolve. With compassion. With a game plan of you aren't going to sucker us anymore. I believe in the power of the people! I believe that if we unite, they can't keep us down. I believe that most of us can work together to create a better future. There will always be hateful, ignorant souls in this world. But, why let them rule?

I truly believe that most people in this country are good folks. I'm not kidding. One of my favorite parts about our new home improvement business are my sales calls. I do it all right now including sales, advertising, hiring/firing, scheduling, etc..........but, I most enjoy the sales. I visit people and talk to them. I hate high pressure sales people and thus, I am just the opposite when I go on a call. I listen. I try and educate on what they ask. I am honest. I allow them to make the sale. People respect honesty. Most of us are really pretty damn good people. Let's work together to Unite rather than working hard to further the divide.

1 member likes this: EveDawg
O
Legend
Legend
O
That takes cooperation, and it only takes one troll to bring it down. That's the real problem in here. I'm all for honest open dialogue on all of this, we simply don't have to agree to get along. But when crazy comes to town, or irrational, or even downright offensive... I can't help myself bro, I have to fight back. That's my delima. However, I'm game for you and I trying, and whoever else joins in, as long as we keep it real. First 'pedo dems' that's dropped though, the gloves must come off. I hope you get that.

And unlike you, I think our country is broken, and I'm not sure we can ever come back together. Some things make it very hard, like January the 6th. I am resolved to see those people jailed. All of them that participated should pay a steep price IMO. The leaders, bro you don't even want to know how I feel about those ass clowns. But good people, with much effort, might just be what puts us back on the path to truly making America great. Right now, we're an S-hole country IMO, no better than CHina, Russia, or North Korea except for our wealth, which seems to be dwindling fast.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Understood.........and you are right that it will be hard.

Let me throw this out there. I actually love my little bro, Swish...........yet, I know that some of the things I say will infuriate him and some of the things he says will upset me. How do we move beyond that? That is just one small example about what you are talking about. It won't be easy. It's much easier to place blame than it is to accept responsibility and find solutions. And most of us are lazy, right? It's real easy to say: "you're wrong; I'm right."

And the divide grows.

I ask myself what can I do to make things better? I have faced near-death experiences in recent years. I contemplated death. I asked myself if I gave more or took more? i asked myself what could I do if was to survive? Spread hate that furthers the divide? Or, try to get folks to unite? You know........when it is all said and done for each of us.....how do we want to be remembered. As one who preached hate and divisiveness or one who tried to promote unity and do good works in our society?

There is power in the people. But, that power has to come from the genesis of those who wish to invoke change and empower the people! Think about it.........you know how we have these hate groups on both sides? What if we had groups of people who were zealous in their pursuit of unity? Of compassion for others? A desire to evolve rather than stagnate in the same old insult game?

What say you, people?

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 05/18/22 11:02 PM. Reason: grammar
T
Legend
Legend
T
1 Timothy chapter 6.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Just to be sure..........are you saying we should embrace slavery to our masters?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Welcome to the "Biden" Economy!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by superbowldogg

Clearly, you don't know a damn thing about me. And you are not very intelligent and it shows. There must be competitors to be competing, Kraft and the other big food companies HAVE NO COMPETITION. If there were competition in these shortages, the competitors would step up to fill the void. But there is only ONE maker of many of these formulas, like similac. And children that NEED a specific type are screwed when that company drops the ball. But hey, act indignant toward me all you want little feller, it's who you are.

This BS started as soon as the first BIG pandemic checks went out. The government opened the faucett and the corporate hogs swarmed the trough to squeeze every penny they could from those with the least. How else do you think they made billions while the country was shut down? Prove me wrong, you can't.

you right. I dumb.

It's time you take off the tinfoil hat... The shortage happened because the FDA stepped in and shut the Abbot plant down for several months. (In turn, Abot lost millions in revenue.) The shortage actually started in 2020 as consumers stockpiled due to COVID-19 lockdowns. Formula makers ramped up production but then cut back in 2021 as demand slowed.

Kraft does have competitors and there are 4 companies Mead Johnson Nutrition, Nestlé USA and Perrigo Co that produce the baby formula. Not 1.

The real reason there are only a handful of these companies.....

30+ years ago politicians passed law making states choose one manufacturer of infant formula to be covered by WIC to cut costs. 2/3 of formula purchased in the U.S. is bought through WIC... That left the companies that did exist to die on the view without government contracts. Now only three companies–Abbott, Gerber, and Mead Johnson—have WIC contracts.

The reality is that the politicians are messed up again and the root of the reason why we have a shortage.

But, you keep blaming corporate greed though.....

O
Legend
Legend
O
Beyond the obvious (one plant that produces majority of 1 critical product for US going offline)....

How did we get to the point where we looked at this situation and decided it was tenable (or possibly even a good idea)? I work in the Med Device industry, and a major sticking point (well before COVID) was confidence in your supply chain. Regular audits on your primary supplier and having a second source ready to go for critical components.

I also found the timeline regarding the plant kinda comical (at least as funny as this whole situation can get).

-Babies got sick and auditors descend on this manufacturing plant
-They find fault and shut down the plant
-but investigations into the baby infections show it wasn't directly due to the formula (IIRC)
-After the plant shutdown, the situation in the US goes straight to ish-show. The story on the plant is that previous audits failed to detect and/or address issues in the plant that may or may not lead to contamination
-FDA's response is to streamline the process for companies to sell formula in the US (lol). This is because one of the headlines is many formula makers standards overseas meet or exceed FDA's, but they are not allowed to sell here (probably because they don't dot a certain 'i' the way FDA wants them too... I'm paraphrasing here).

My interpretation of all that is when those babies got sick and the auditors showed up, they weren't going to leave until they bent Abbott over the table. I see this all the time... auditors act like they have to find something/anything whenever they visit your facility. With the situation being what it is, they couldn't go through that facility without any major findings. Many of FDAs processes (specifically ones related to initial submissions) are extremely archaic. It's not surprising to me in the least that there are equivalent/superior products available in the EU that can't gain FDA approval here in the US.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by oobernoober
Beyond the obvious (one plant that produces majority of 1 critical product for US going offline)....

How did we get to the point where we looked at this situation and decided it was tenable (or possibly even a good idea)? I work in the Med Device industry, and a major sticking point (well before COVID) was confidence in your supply chain. Regular audits on your primary supplier and having a second source ready to go for critical components.

I also found the timeline regarding the plant kinda comical (at least as funny as this whole situation can get).

-but investigations into the baby infections show it wasn't directly due to the formula (IIRC)
-After the plant shutdown, the situation in the US goes straight to ish-show. The story on the plant is that previous audits failed to detect and/or address issues in the plant that may or may not lead to contamination
-FDA's response is to streamline the process for companies to sell formula in the US (lol). This is because one of the headlines is many formula makers standards overseas meet or exceed FDA's, but they are not allowed to sell here (probably because they don't dot a certain 'i' the way FDA wants them too... I'm paraphrasing here).

My interpretation of all that is when those babies got sick and the auditors showed up, they weren't going to leave until they bent Abbott over the table. I see this all the time... auditors act like they have to find something/anything whenever they visit your facility. With the situation being what it is, they couldn't go through that facility without any major findings. Many of FDAs processes (specifically ones related to initial submissions) are extremely archaic. It's not surprising to me in the least that there are equivalent/superior products available in the EU that can't gain FDA approval here in the US.

That seems wholly fair and balanced. But I think it's much more popular just to blame Biden, to hell with reality. Much like inflation - it's all Biden's fault regardless of the ROTW experiencing the same thing. Much like Covid was a political mechanism aimed solely to oust Trump, to hell with what is happening in the ROTW.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Kind of like blaming Putin. I was driving the other day and hit one of Putin's potholes.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
You'll have to let me know who you were talking to that was blaming the conditions of your roads on Putin.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
B
Legend
Legend
B
The point is blame can be placed anywhere. What I do know is the President and party in charge are leading a train wreck. It's off the rails.

Infants in the hospital because they were starving, gas sky high, food sky high, markets way down, tens of thousands of illegals ready to rush the border.

Everything these people touch goes to crap. Even the press secretary...at least Psaki was competent even if i disagreed with her take. This new woman..Jean Pierre is a joke. Have you listened to her? She's a simpleton.

Now I see the President all puffed up talking about adding Sweden and Finland. That's surely going to take us further away from a nuclear war.

I don't have a problem with them in NATO, but now isn't the time for that sort of talk.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P

And here's the real problem. Both Trump and Biden handed out "a bunch of free stuff". It's the cumulative effect from all of it. This situation causing all of this inflation didn't just miraculously happen over the past 16 months. It would be nice if people such as yourself would step up to the plate and own that.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Everything these people touch goes to crap. Even the press secretary...at least Psaki was competent even if i disagreed with her take. This new woman..Jean Pierre is a joke. Have you listened to her? She's a simpleton.
It is very, very hard to watch, but hey -- at least she's black and gay!

This is sad... and what are the Cliff notes she keeps staring down at?? The notes aren't doing her any favors. What starts as b.s. ends as a word salad.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mgh888
Originally Posted by oobernoober

That seems wholly fair and balanced. But I think it's much more popular just to blame Biden, to hell with reality. Much like inflation - it's all Biden's fault regardless of the ROTW experiencing the same thing. Much like Covid was a political mechanism aimed solely to oust Trump, to hell with what is happening in the ROTW.
Who do we "blame"? Is this nobody's fault? Just tell the parents to pour some 2% and be happy... 'cuz $h*t happens?

This is what I don't get... Biden said he knew of this shortage early on, he tries to say things like that to impress us.

So a plant is shutdown that produces 40% of the baby formula in the country and remains closed long after it is absolved of any responsibility??

There's a shortage of one of the most vital food items in the world, on top of the rest of this crapshow, and leadership just wants to point fingers at others and say "oh well".

Pick any person working the counter at Starbucks and drop them into any of these roles from bottom to TOP -- the results would be better.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think you may wish to look at a number even you floated around and I've seen often which is totally false. The plant that was shut down by Abbott does not produce 40% of baby formula. Last year in total Abbott manufactured just over 40% of all baby formula. Abbott has five facilities that manufacture baby formula, not one. So while the plant that was closed down is the largest of the five Abbott baby manufacturing facilities, it's still only one of the five that in total manufactured just over 40% of all baby formula in the U.S.

Last year Abbott accounted for 42% of the U.S. formula market, about 95% of which is produced domestically.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/who-ma...ration-abbott-tariffs-nestle-11652480538

And our other manufacturing facilities are running at full capacity as we continue to prioritize production of infant formula to help replenish the supply in the market.

Columbus, Ohio, is the headquarters for Abbott's U.S. nutrition business and is home to one of our five manufacturing facilities that produce infant formula for the U.S. market.

https://www.abbott.com/corpnewsroom...ott-update-on-powder-formula-recall.html

I edited my post to give sources for my information. I think we can both agree that the media often looks to report things more for shock value than accuracy. This is one such example.

Last edited by PitDAWG; 05/19/22 12:53 PM.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
My bad. Sounds like you already have though.. what percentage do they produce?

I was just parroting what I've heard over and over from everywhere... including CNN. (Seems that even the lib news is starting to turn on Biden)

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm not sure of what percentage this manufacturing site produces. I do know it's the largest of their five facilities. And I certainly understand why you posted what you did. It wasn't meant to call you out. It was simply to show that what we're being told doesn't line up with the facts.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Right. I just hate when I do that. Unfortunately we live in a world where no morsel can be relied on as "fact" not matter how much it is repeated. Obviously it's not really the percentage that matters anyway, math didn't invent the real problem here.

Legend
Legend

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I'm not sure of what percentage this manufacturing site produces. I do know it's the largest of their five facilities. And I certainly understand why you posted what you did. It wasn't meant to call you out. It was simply to show that what we're being told doesn't line up with the facts.

I also said it the wrong way, so thank you for pointing that out. The closed plant makes the majority of ABBOTT'S formula (Similac) that's sold here in the States (which is ~40% of the formula sold/consumed in the US).

When that went offline, it started a domino effect (Similac bought up/pulled off shelves --> people buying up other brands --> panic buying).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Sigh…the economy

Link Copied to Clipboard