Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1946466 05/23/22 06:37 PM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
OTAs begin tomorrow. Maybe it will encourage more football talk? I will get the party started.

Cleveland Browns OTAs primer: Deshaun Watson's first practices, a changed offense and more
Nate Ulrich
Akron Beacon Journal

The Browns will shift their voluntary offseason workout program into a higher gear this week when organized team activity practices begin, marking the first time quarterback Deshaun Watson will participate in on-field work with the vast majority of his new teammates.

Yes, Watson and other Browns players have been on the field for drills in recent weeks, and he hosted the majority of the offense for workouts over the weekend in the Bahamas.

But the upcoming OTA sessions will be the first practices for the Browns since they traded with the Houston Texans for Watson on March 18, a move team brass believes will propel it from a disappointing 8-9 record last season to legitimate Super Bowl contention.

Latest on the legal side for the Browns quarterback:NFL reportedly wants another meeting with Deshaun Watson, whose accusers will speak on HBO

The collective bargaining agreement between the NFL and NFL Players Association stipulates players may wear helmets but not pads during OTA practices. There are other rules, but the most important one is seven-on-seven, nine-on-seven and 11-on-11 drills are permitted in OTA practices, provided no live contact occurs.

Teams may conduct a maximum of 10 OTA practices. The Browns' first one will be held Tuesday, with their first one open to the media taking place Wednesday. They'll wrap up their first week of OTAs Thursday.

The Browns have other OTA practices scheduled for May 31-June 2 and June 6-9.

Remember, OTAs are voluntary. Two years ago, there were no in-person OTAs because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Last year, almost all of the starters on offense refrained from participating because former Browns center JC Tretter led a movement as the NFL Players Association president against attending the voluntary offseason workout program, citing injury data and COVID-19 concerns.

In other words, OTAs this year are expected to have the highest attendance in the coach Kevin Stefanski era.

Players aren't contractually obligated to show up to CrossCountry Mortgage Campus in Berea until mandatory minicamp June 14-16, when quarterback Baker Mayfield plans to report to the Browns if he's still on the roster because he doesn't want to be fined or jeopardize any of the guarantees in his $18.858 million salary for 2022. The Browns can excuse Mayfield from mandatory minicamp, but they can't tell him to stay away. Training camp, which begins in late July, is required, too.

For now, though, it's spring practice time. And this is a guide for what to watch from afar because OTA practices are closed to the public, and only three of them are open to reporters (Wednesday, June 1 and June 8).

Cleveland Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson, center, takes questions from local media during his introductory press conference at the Cleveland Browns Training Facility on Friday.
Browns should balance passing game development with prep for a potential Deshaun Watson suspension
There's only one first practice of a new era, and Watson's arrival certainly makes this a new era for the Browns.

When Watson's first Browns game will be is a mystery, though, because he could be suspended under the NFL's personal conduct policy. Two dozen women have accused Watson of sexual misconduct or sexual assault during massage appointments, and 22 have active civil lawsuits filed against him. Last week in Houston, NFL officials interviewed Watson, who avoided charges on 10 criminal complaints in March and has denied all wrongdoing.

While the Browns wait to find out whether Watson will be available for their Sept. 11 regular-season opener on the road against the Carolina Panthers, they'll be preparing him to get on the same page with a receiving corps led by another offseason trade acquisition, four-time Pro Bowl selection Amari Cooper.

But because a Watson suspension appears to be more likely than not, it would also be wise for Stefanski to ensure quarterback Jacoby Brissett is developing adequate chemistry with Cooper and other projected starting pass catchers, including receivers Donovan Peoples-Jones and David Bell, a rookie third-round draft pick, and franchise-tagged tight end David Njoku.

The Browns signed Brissett this offseason to be Watson's primary backup.

Cleveland Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski watches drills during the NFL football team's rookie minicamp in Berea on Friday.
How different will the offense of Cleveland Browns coach Kevin Stefanski look out of the gate?
In late March at the NFL owners meetings, Stefanski would not rule out making wholesale changes to his offense with Watson aboard.

When Stefanski landed his first head coaching job in January 2020, he brought the scheme he learned in Minnesota from Gary Kubiak to Cleveland. Its staples are play-action passing off a running game powered by zone blocking. Stefanski has also become known for frequently using big personnel. The Browns led the NFL the past two seasons in 13 personnel (three tight ends).

With Watson, Stefanski figures to spread the offense out with more three-receiver sets and implement run-pass options.

It's hard to fathom Stefanski completely forsaking the system he has used the past two seasons, but changes will be made, some of which should be evident in OTAs.

Cleveland Browns defensive tackle Perrion Winfrey, right, celebrates after cornerback Martin Emerson Jr. knocked over a member of the coaching staff in drills during the NFL football team's rookie minicamp in Berea on Friday.
Cleveland Browns rookies will find out how they fit with veteran players
The Browns held rookie minicamp from May 13-15, but those incoming first-year players have yet to practice with their veteran teammates. They will during OTAs.

The day after General Manager Andrew Berry made Martin Emerson Jr. the Browns' first draft pick this year, taking the cornerback from Mississippi State University in the third round (No. 68 overall), the franchise traded nickelback Troy Hill to the Los Angeles Rams on April 30. The Browns view Emerson primarily as an outside corner, and although 2021 first-round selection Greg Newsome II has shown he can move from the outside to slot corner, the defense appears to be thin at nickelback with Hill gone.

Story from Horizon Therapeutics
What chronic illness can do to mental health
See More →
During the recent rookie minicamp, Stefanski downplayed the notion that the Browns were in the market for a new nickelback because of Hill's departure.

“I think we have multiple guys who can fill that role and have filled that role in there,” Stefanski said. “I think that's why we talk about versatility. If you're playing corner or if you're playing safety, you're going to be trained to play in the slot and play our nickel position. I think we have multiple guys who can do that.”

Well, OTAs ought to provide the first peek of how the Browns plan to address nickelback and to what extent they'll experiment with Emerson there.

Getting deals done:Cleveland Browns sign seven of their nine-member 2022 NFL Draft class

The slot on the other side of the ball is a position of interest, too. All signs point to Bell being the top candidate there, though he can play on the outside, where he appeared the most at Purdue University. Former Browns receiver Jarvis Landry has taken his inside-outside versatility to the New Orleans Saints, so the Browns are counting on Bell to fill a similar role.

Another rookie worth tracking is running back Jerome Ford. A fifth-round pick, Ford has conceded he didn't expect the Browns to draft him out of the University of Cincinnati. Do you know why? It's because they were already stacked at his position with Nick Chubb, Kareem Hunt, D'Ernest Johnson and Demetric Felton Jr., who played more receiver than running back last season as a sixth-round rookie.

Chubb is the only one in the group who can be safely ruled out as a trade possibility. Perhaps the Browns will find a way to keep all of the running backs on the roster for the coming season — it would make sense if fewer tight ends are factors this year — but the coaching staff getting side-by-side comparisons between Ford and his veteran counterparts could inform such decisions.

Cleveland Browns defensive end Alex Wright, left, punches the ball away from defensive end Isaiah Thomas, right, during the NFL football team's rookie minicamp in Berea on Friday.
Which players will start with Myles Garrett on the Cleveland Browns' defensive line?
Aside from All-Pro end Myles Garrett, there are question marks across the defensive line.

The Browns agreed Sunday to re-sign Jadeveon Clowney as the starting end opposite Garrett, but the competition for the rest of the pass-rushing pecking order will be notable. Trade acquisition Chase Winovich and free-agent acquisitions Stephen Weatherly and Isaac Rochell will be vying with two rookies — third-round pick Alex Wright and seventh-round selection Isaiah Thomas — and holdover Curtis Weaver for rotational roles.

Long shots living NFL dreams:Cleveland Browns announce they signed 12 undrafted free agents

At defensive tackle, rookie fourth-round choice Perrion Winfrey will have a chance to become an immediate starter at three-technique. Free-agent acquisition Taven Bryan and holdovers Tommy Togiai, Jordan Elliott and Sheldon Day are also in the mix for the two starting spots on the interior of the defensive line.

Nickelback and defensive line are likely the top areas of intrigue for defensive coordinator Joe Woods.

Cleveland Browns rookie kicker Cade York tosses around a football on the sidelines during the NFL football team's rookie minicamp in Berea on Friday.
Revamped Cleveland Browns special teams will be on display
The Browns desperately needed boosts on special teams, so they drafted kicker Cade York in the fourth round and signed punter Corey Bojorquez and Pro Bowl returner Jakeem Grant Sr. this offseason.

It's May. The wind and wintry weather later in the year at FirstEnergy Stadium will be the real tests for York and Bojorquez. Still, looking good in the spring wouldn't hurt the confidence and trust special teams coordinator Mike Priefer has in his new players.

A flag, the fans and hitting it true: Phil Dawson advises Browns rookie kicker Cade York

Which Cleveland Browns players have made changes to their bodies?
This is the time of year when certain players catch the eyes of coaches, teammates and reporters because of physical transformations they have undergone since last season ended on Jan. 9.

Most of the time, those changes are good news, but once in a while, they're not.

One player the Browns have been casting in a positive light along these lines is center Nick Harris, a fifth-round pick in 2020. Harris is positioned to succeed Tretter as the starter in the middle of the offensive line, but Harris will need to hold off free-agent acquisition Ethan Pocic.

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story...n-winfrey-cade-york-practice/9840837002/

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Breaking: Baker Mayfield Makes Decision On Browns Camp

ANDREW HOLLERANMAY 23, 2022

The Cleveland Browns are set to hold OTAs later this week. Baker Mayfield is not going to be in attendance.

The former No. 1 overall NFL Draft pick, who remains on the trading block following the blockbuster Deshaun Watson acquisition, has reportedly decided to skip OTAs.

ESPN's NFL insider, Adam Schefter, first reported the news.

"Cleveland QB Baker Mayfield will not be attending the Browns’ voluntary OTA’s that open Tuesday, as expected," he reports.

Mayfield has been linked to teams like the Carolina Panthers and Seattle Seahawks.

However, there has been little reported trade interest in the former Oklahoma Sooners star.

Perhaps a dark horse contender will eventually emerge.

https://thespun.com/nfl/breaking-baker-mayfield-makes-decision-on-browns-camp

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Can't say I am surprised.

FrankZ #1946473 05/23/22 07:02 PM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Agreed Frank. No one is surprised. Totally expected.

I do want to add this and it is coming from a Baker "hater." I don't know who is advising him, but the moves they made starting from the apology letter, the trade demand, the podcast and all the horrible comments that it involved about teammates, coaching, etc, the refusal to report to voluntary camps......I can't imagine a more damning stand to take, especially w/the talk out there of issues in the locker room.

I like redemption stories and would like to see him be the best he could be. That wold be an uplifting story. Kinda like the Chris Carter story, albeit for different demons. I just think he and/or his camp are doing a terrible job of handling this situation and I think it's hurting his stock in the eyes of other teams.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 05/23/22 07:03 PM.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
In other OTA news, I saw Kyler Murray is skipping out on the Cardinals. He's another immature guy who is hurting himself. And there are reports that Aaron Rodgers won't be participating. Guy just signed for something like $50 million per year and he isn't going to be there? I understand it is voluntary, but damn, that's a bad look. I love Rodgers ability as a qb, but his constant drama queen act the last couple of years is beyond annoying.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
That's too bad. I was looking forward to Bakers participation at the OTA's. willynilly

O
Legend
Legend
O
If I'm Baker, I'm putting in the absolute minimum to get my 18m or until I'm on a new team. But if DW can't go for whatever and I get the nod, then I'm playing for my next job, not the Browns.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
L
Legend
Legend
L
lol!!

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
L
Legend
Legend
L
I think the leadership group of any team should show up for OTAs. Especially the QB, him most of all, and other vets.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
I do want to add this and it is coming from a Baker "hater."

The Browns do not want Baker to attend these voluntary OTAs.

First Baker is still officially rehabbing his shoulder after the surgery in Jan. What could the Browns possibly expect to gain by putting a player who is "rehabbing" on the practice field?

Given the fact that the Browns officially washed their hands of Baker and they are now looking to find a trading partner, it would be one of the dumbest moves the Browns could make, expecting to see a "recovering Baker" on the field for OTAs. The risk of further injury could greatly complicate any deal the Browns might be attempting to work out. Some fluke unintended contact causing an injury and the Browns could be held responsible..it simply would be a damn stupid move if the Browns allowed Baker to attend OTAs.

There is absolutely nothing to gained by the Browns by letting Baker on the field for OTAs.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A rare football question... my uncertain recollection of Watson in the Houston offense is that he was in the shotgun a lot. Maybe more than being under center. Stefanski's offense, until now, has the QB to get under center often. Likely to sell play-action more effectively. What's the opinion among dawg-talkers? Will we see more shotgun or will DW have to adjust to more snaps under center? How might shotgun affect the wide-zone?

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
2nd String
2nd String
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Agreed Frank. No one is surprised. Totally expected.

I do want to add this and it is coming from a Baker "hater." I don't know who is advising him, but the moves they made starting from the apology letter, the trade demand, the podcast and all the horrible comments that it involved about teammates, coaching, etc, the refusal to report to voluntary camps......I can't imagine a more damning stand to take, especially w/the talk out there of issues in the locker room.

I like redemption stories and would like to see him be the best he could be. That would be an uplifting story. Kinda like the Chris Carter story, albeit for different demons. I just think he and/or his camp are doing a terrible job of handling this situation and I think it's hurting his stock in the eyes of other teams.
How much do you think his recovery from his injury is playing a part in not attending? If he isn't cleared to practice wouldn't he be nothing more than a distraction?

The Constitution shall never be construe to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. – Samuel Adams
Legend
Legend
Good question.

I am guessing. I think KS will overall end up with balance. Chubb and Hunt because of the threat they are as runners make play action work.

So we will run play action off under center. KS likes to be unpredictable. So there will be a mix of plays with options from under center.

He will do the same in shotgun. He will have run plays off shotgun. And of course pass plays.

So the playbook will be balanced. Then each game will come with a game plan. The plays for that game will be about matchup advantages.

If it determined that we can run on a team efficiently; then we will.

The goal will be that each game plan is unlimited. That a game plan can be developed without limitations.

It was obvious last year that was not the case.

The Browns want to be able to use any part of the field on any play.

We have the personnel to accomplish that.

2 members like this: guard dawg, Versatile Dog
mac #1946523 05/24/22 07:28 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Agreed - the Browns organization does not want Baker in attendance no matter what anyone might think. What is a reflection on Baker is how he handles that non-attendance either through the team, his representatives or his social media accounts ... there would be a professional way to handle this and a non-professional, churlish way. Let's hope he let's others handle it.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
How much do you think his recovery from his injury is playing a part in not attending? If he isn't cleared to practice wouldn't he be nothing more than a distraction?

I don't think the injury has anything to do w/it. I think that the disconnect between the Browns and Baker is the reason. I want to add that I was not bad-mouthing Baker in my above commentary. I have been consistent on what he should be doing in order to improve his image across the league.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted by guard dawg
A rare football question... my uncertain recollection of Watson in the Houston offense is that he was in the shotgun a lot. Maybe more than being under center. Stefanski's offense, until now, has the QB to get under center often. Likely to sell play-action more effectively. What's the opinion among dawg-talkers? Will we see more shotgun or will DW have to adjust to more snaps under center? How might shotgun affect the wide-zone?

Good observation and questions. I had to think about this for a bit and do a quick search.

I think you are definitely right about Watson being in shotgun much more than under center. I did find this however in a larger article:

...he’s been incredibly impressive throwing the ball from the pocket, too, both from under center or the shotgun. Watson has thrived in the play-action passing game in particular: On plays that include a run fake, he’s completed 67.4 percent of his passes at 8.8 yards per attempt with a league-high six touchdowns and just one pick on those plays, registering a 124.7 passer rating (fifth) per Pro Football Focus. (Compared with a respectable 87.7 passer rating, with six touchdowns and three interceptions at 6.8 yards per attempt, on non-play-action plays.) It’s no wonder, then, why the Texans run play-action the fourth most often (26.9 percent) leaguewide; Watson has done an excellent job using the threat of a handoff to move defenders and drop passes in behind the defense.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/10/13/16467512/deshaun-watson-houston-texans-offense

The Wide-Zone question is a really good one. Picture in your mind some of the teams that currently run it a lot. SF w/Shanny. Rams w/McVay. Bengals w/Taylor. GB w/LeFleur. Are they predominantly under center or in the gun? Or do they do a lot of both?

Here is a decent article about it w/videos. I am going to just post the link because the video examples are needed to fully understand the text.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allb...joe-mixon-and-the-bengals-rushing-attack

I am not sure I am right about this, but my conclusion is that we will incorporate more shotgun plays to highlight some of Watson's strengths and still run a lot of under center plays to feature our strong running game and superior blocking scheme. I do want to add one last thing. I would like to see the Browns coaching staff help Watson w/improving his ball handling skills. By this I mean........he has to do a better job w/his eyes on really looking at the potential ball carrier when we are running play action and also sell his ball fakes a bit harder.

1 member likes this: guard dawg
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Nice post, Fate. I read your post after I tried to answer guard's questions. Looks like we see it pretty much the same way.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
If I'm Baker, I'm putting in the absolute minimum to get my 18m or until I'm on a new team. But if DW can't go for whatever and I get the nod, then I'm playing for my next job, not the Browns.

All one can ask or expect. I don't expect Baker to be a happy camper, and I don't expect him to make a fuss. If asked or needed to play, I expect for him to play to the best of his ability. Not for the team, as you say, for himself and his next job.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't really care all that much if Watson plays under center or in the gun as a regular set. My only real care is that by running in one or the other it is run in a balanced manner. In other words, i don't want the gun to mean we pass 85% of the time or under center means we run 85% of the time.

I think it is a little bit too easy for the playcaller to skew plays a bit much depending on the set.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
You might not care, but it's good football conversation. Better than the bickering that ruins most threads and was on the verge of happening.

B
Legend
Legend
B
You might not care, but it's good football conversation. Better than the bickering that ruins most threads and was on the verge of happening.

I think you are reading my words wrong. If I didn't care as you seem to have taken it, i would have said "I don't care.", or "Who cares?".

My comment was more along the lines of I don't have a preference. Each has it's positives and negatives. My only real care isn't so much about the set. It is about the coach or QB getting in to a predictable pattern out of said sets.

Hope that clears it up.

I will also add that if the QB has a preference and it doesn't have major negative impact on the ability to run or pass, then run that.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Nice post, Fate. I read your post after I tried to answer guard's questions. Looks like we see it pretty much the same way.

Sorry, too late to edit it, but I meant bonefish rather than Fate. My apologies.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I agree. Formation and run/pass tendencies can't be predictable.

Vers, when I get time I'm going check out the link you posted.

Legend
Legend

The first article in this thread says exactly that.. he's planning on being there for mandatory stuff...

Either way, if he shows up, it's going to be uncomfortable for all involved.... The browns would be smart to make a deal prior to mandatory events

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
FrankZ #1946549 05/24/22 09:14 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
A good breakdown of the team prior to the actual OTA's of course no hitting only helmets so its pretty much the skilled players on Passing Offense and the DBs on defense. Ass backwards putting in the playbook first and not the conditioning and hitting needed for blocking technique and tackling. Not the formula for winning. But all teams except Patriots of course in the same boat...lol laugh

Baker not attending - well the big news on that was why was he asked...lol laugh

I think its important to get not only our starter in sync but also our backup QB time for Ski to earn his money and get this team ready for the 2022 season. I was thinking at the least before the trade we were looking at 10 wins. Hope we improve on that with the moves made.

jmho...Go Browns!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
O
Legend
Legend
O

I don't think the injury has anything to do w/it. I think that the disconnect between the Browns and Baker is the reason. I want to add that I was not bad-mouthing Baker in my above commentary. I have been consistent on what he should be doing in order to improve his image across the league.

However you put the following in order (rehabbing an injury, disconnect/drama, he's effectively like 5th on the depth chart), there is absolutely nothing gained for anyone in him attending these activities. Logically, it makes no sense for him to show up.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Legend
Legend
D
IMO, Mayfield would be the skunk at the garden party if he showed up - healthy or not - for voluntary OTAs. I also believe a good portion of his detractors would criticize him for being a distraction and deliberately trying to disrupt the proceedings. It's a can't win situation for him. Mandatory camps will be another matter that I think he should show up for, unless the Browns tell him to stay home. The only move that makes sense for the Browns at this point is to hang on to him until some team needs a QB due to injury.

1 member likes this: mgh888
Dave #1946584 05/24/22 12:19 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Good balance staying upright when his feet went out.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I have to agree with the notion that Baker's Team is not helping him. We don't know what Baker was told and when...We are not sure what went down with his Team when Deshaun first said no...But it does seem to me that Whomever is advising Baker is not doing a good job. The letter saying "Thank You Cleveland" was a mistake. It was probably meant to be proactive and supposed to just be a thank you...in case. But it ended up being perceived as done deal and goodbye. The ask for a trade...was completely too soon and made him look petty. The podcast...Lord who is talking to him...was probably supposed to help people endear him to his side of the story, but only served to make him appear unprofessional and whiney.

Look we all know Baker is an emotional player. We also know that he needs that "chip on his shoulder" that helps bring the best out of him. I mean is it crazy to think in the situation that he is traded to Carolina...and Watson is suspended...that Baker lights us up???Vers, I know your thoughts on that wink But in this case his emotional motivation is hurting his case more than it is helping him.

Right now the biggest hurdle he has is his salary...BUT a hurdle almost as big is the question mark the Browns had to deal with as they could never for one reason or another get a good read on how he can play as well as his maturity as a player. Right now the maturity level is looking pretty low. The NFL is a business...and we can't kid ourselves. If the Packers had a legitimate shot at a QB better than Rogers...They would make an attempt at him(extreme example to make a point). No one in the league is irreplaceable...Not even Brady (Mac Jones is doing decent in Patsville) Teams will always look for bigger, faster, better, cheaper players to replace you. ALWAYS. If loyalty and performance come together...It is beautiful and celebrated...It just doesn't happen often.

You know what? Baker has every right to feel disrespected. He gave his heart to this team. Its why many support him. It is understandable that he feels betrayed. Baker and or his team\agents are trying to play that card. But it is the mature person that can sort that out, get beyond the feelings and b a professional. It is certainly understandable why Baker wasn't going to the Bahamas....I can even understand him not being at OTA's(especially with the shoulder)....But imagine how he would be perceived if he accepts that he won't be here this year and yet STILL comes voluntarily and helps prepare. I mean I see it like the second string QB...you know you are not playing...but a professional still goes at his job as if that is the situation. And Bakers situation is, like it or not, he is contracted under the Cleveland Browns and he has a choice...Allow his emotions to make his decisions or be the professional he can and should be. Teams prefer professionals to lead their teams...just sayin...

If the situation is the Browns are not allowing it...then he needs to do whatever he can to mend that fence in order to change that. Because he needs to change the professional perception he has right now and the only wat to do that is on the field....practice or otherwise...and it won't be otherwise until he can get on the practice....JMO

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

All one can ask or expect. I don't expect Baker to be a happy camper, and I don't expect him to make a fuss. If asked or needed to play, I expect for him to play to the best of his ability. Not for the team, as you say, for himself and his next job.

I can't imagine the browns asking him to set foot on the field again... baker not going to OTAs is 100% expected... I wouldd expect he would not practice for the browns ever again...

<><

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Players on the fifth-year option will be fined $40,000 for each day of any late reporting or absence from training camp (increased to $45,000 in 2026) and one week of regular-season salary for each preseason game missed.

If not traded before training camp begins, Mayfield has no choice but to report to camp unless he wants to accept the fines. Assuming Mayfield intends to honor the contract language, the Browns FO, and only the FO, will control whether Baker is at camp or not. The other sleeping dog in the room is that Cleveland leaves him on the PUP list. That would keep him away from the practices without just telling him to stay away and paying him but would certainly damage their ability to trade a Mayfield that is still on the PUP list.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Teams may conduct a maximum of 10 OTA practices. The Browns' first one will be held Tuesday, with their first one open to the media taking place Wednesday. They'll wrap up their first week of OTAs Thursday.

Hopefully, we will get some news on how things look at OTAs today. I'm starved for some football news and it's only March.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 05/25/22 07:47 AM.
1 member likes this: oobernoober
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I think have this correct: The PUP list only applies if a player can & does not practice for the start of Training Camp. He can come off the PUP list at anytime during Training Camp. If the player is still on the PUP list when the rosters are cut to 53+, then he must sit out X# of games (6?) to start the season - sit meaning not practice either.

Legend
Legend
All concerns of fines go away as soon as the team grants him permission, or directs him, to stay home.
It won't be an issue.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
All concerns of fines go away as soon as the team grants him permission, or directs him, to stay home.
It won't be an issue.

Correct. Here is an excerpt from a larger article:

The Browns had hoped some team would want Mayfield, but they were also always prepared to play the long game and wait for some team to need Mayfield. Whether that need arises in mid-June, late August or into the season remains to be seen.

Internally, the Mayfield situation is not a pressing issue. Mayfield is not going to play for the Browns again, so there’s no void in the quarterback room during meetings or positional workouts. If the Browns have to excuse Mayfield from mandatory minicamp in June or the start of training camp in July, it will make for a bunch of headlines. But in reality, it will be handled in 30 seconds of phone calls and paperwork.

https://theathletic.com/3279841/2022/05/05/baker-mayfield-browns-roster-draft/

B
Legend
Legend
B

Hopefully, we will get some news on how things look at OTAs today. I'm starved for some football news and it's only March.

I agree, but it is pretty hard to get much news out of these things. I guess about the biggest thing is if guys are playing some different positions or news about who is there and who isn't.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c...