Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
Well, his re-signing will happen outside the window that applies to signings that impact the formula, so I was thinking perhaps it may not count as a re-signing for the formula... an exploitable loophole.

I reckon I need to dig up the rest of the current CBA and read further.

It's an interesting notion even without regards to Clowney...Fuller, Hicks, etc.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
Definitely hope we're bringing Clowney back. Kid could be good, but he's got a lot to learn/get comfortable with.

Just spitballing an idea that struck me, here, but I have to wonder if he isn't going to sign relatively soon-ish... delayed so as not to affect the Compensatory Pick formulas.

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/

Appendix V of the 2020 Collective Bargaining Agreement contains the binding bylaws of the compensatory pick system. App. V, §1 explains the basics as follows:

[A] Compensatory Free Agent (“CFA”) shall be defined as an Unrestricted Free Agent (“UFA”) who: (i) signed with a new Club during the prior free agency signing period […] prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the Monday following the NFL Draft for that League Year1 […]; and (ii) ranked within the top 35%2 of all League players […]. Clubs that lose to other Clubs a greater number of CFAs than they sign or acquire from other Clubs shall be eligible to receive a Compensatory Draft Selection in the College Draft to be held in the following League Year subject to the provisions set forth below.

So, if I am reading this correctly, only Unrestricted Free Agents whose contracts expired and UFA's who are signed between the start of the league year Free Agency period and the Monday following the Draft are included in the compensatory pick formula.

So, Clowney's contract expired, so he counts as a loss. Him not signing until after yesterday basically means that getting him back doesn't count in a way that cancels out his loss.

Berry gaming the system, again???

I think Clowney tends to wait to sign. Did with us, and I believe he signed late with Tennessee. But If it's Berry, it's nothing but smart. It sounds dumb, but I could see us hanging onto Mayfield too if we just have to eat his contract either way because he would help the formula next year as well when he signs somewhere else. But we would basically eat a roster spot there too, so it may not happen.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thanks Bull Dawg, I haven't actually seen him play so I wasn't sure. It was just something I read when researching him in the many different sites and publications I looked at. Still a little concerned though that all his sacks came against the other small schools he played against and that he didn't have any against the Major colleges ( IE: Georgia, Miami (FLA), and Tennessee).

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Legend
Legend
That's a damn good point about Mayfield. That would be a rather large expiring contract at $18 million; that could probably net us a 3rd rounder and all we have to do is carry one less special teamer through the season.... and, in that light, it probably sets the minimum bar for trade compensation. Like, why would we trade him for less than a 3rd when we can almost definitely get a 3rd as compensatory? Win-Win.

As for Clowney signing late: he signed with us on April 14 last year. He didn't sign with the Titans until September 6th, 2020, but that could easily have been delayed that long because of all the Rona uncertainty at the time. Either way, it's quite a range of time as for when to think he could sign.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

All Pro
All Pro
During the FA comp signing period, Cleveland "lost" Rashard Higgins and MJ Stewart.
We signed Jacoby Brissett, Ethan Pocic, Taven Bryan and some peanuts.

We won't be getting a comp pick regardless. Well, the Mensa 3rd rounder, but not a traditional comp pick.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
Legend
Legend
Wow. I hadn't realized that we re-signed so many of the guys, and most of the ones we didn't never got signed by anyone. Higgins & Stewart combined equal Brisset's deal, so, yeah... we aren't getting anything.

Browns is the Browns

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A really detailed article about Alex Wright on the OBR.

I'm intrigued.

2 members like this: Ballpeen, WSU Willie
V
Legend
Legend
V
That was a good read, guard. Thanks.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Good read.

we might need to work with the guy, but he has the tools to be a very good player.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/new...ther-de-who-appreciates-artistic-talents

With Alex Wright, Browns have another DE who appreciates artistic talents
Wright played a variety of instruments and was into drawing before his football career ascended
May 18, 2022 at 12:26 PM

[Linked Image from static.clubs.nfl.com]

Alex Wright and Myles Garrett share more than just a football position in common.

Wright, a UAB defensive end who was the Browns' third-round pick in the 2022 draft, has a creative, non-football side to him. Similar to how Garrett has heavy interests in all things art, poetry and paleontology, Wright holds a passion for music and art as well. Creating sketches of cars and sci-fi scenes were some of his biggest hobbies in high school, and he's played a multitude of instruments since middle school, ranging from the baritone, alto and tenor saxophone and the clarinet.

"I was big on music, and it's still a part of me," Wright said Friday before a rookie minicamp practice. "Having those extracurricular activities on the side, I can mellow myself out."

Those interests should bode well for Wright as he looks forward to building chemistry with Garrett. The two haven't formally met at CrossCountry Mortgage Campus yet but will be able to soon when OTAs and mandatory minicamp begin.

Wright has been eager to strike a relationship with Garrett since he became the Browns' second selection in the draft at 78th overall. He felt goosebumps when he realized shortly after his draft call that he was going to be teammates with Garrett, a three-time Pro Bowler and two-time All-Pro, but he was also looking forward to learning from Garrett and his off-the-field interests.

"Myles Garrett is one of those rare breeds that I used to and still look up to to this day, not only as a person but on the field and how he works off the field," he said after he was drafted. "The stuff that he does behind the cameras, being able to just watch him and now have the chance to play across from him is like a dream come true. It feels surreal."

Wright will learn as much as he can from Garrett over the next several months as he prepares for his rookie year, but he knows the best way to fully prepare for it is to be himself.

That's why the Browns drafted him. Executive VP of Football Ops and GM Andrew Berry said Wright was a "favorite" across the organization not only because of what he showed on tape at UAB but because he was an intelligent person both on and off the field.

"This is a guy who when we brought him in for a 30 visit, everybody just spoke glowingly," Berry said after Wright was drafted. "He is very driven, he is very smart and a very humble individual, and we think he is a player who can really grow into the ideal big end for us and rush inside and out."

Wright certainly won't take the opportunity to play for the Browns for granted, either.

He felt as though he wasn't viewed as high as he should've in the pre-draft process because he played at a Group of Five school rather than the bigger, notorious programs of the Power 5. He also grew up in Elba, Alabama, a town with a population of less than 4,000, and ascended the high school recruiting ranks slower than some other players of his caliber.

But he still made the most of his time at UAB and created an opportunity in Cleveland. He knows he won't be unnoticed there.

"Just because I came from a small place doesn't mean I can't play football," Wright said. "I'm willing to strive and get better at it, not only on the field but off the field. Whether it's learning how to watch film or just getting knowledge and advice from the veterans. If you can play football the NFL is going to find you."

The Browns found him, and he could have a chance to come in and deliver an immediate impact as a rookie as he continues to adjust to the NFL level.

Building a relationship and learning from Garrett will be one way to accelerate that process, and with more common interests beyond football, that chemistry could build rather quickly.

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Awfully skinny looking arms for a DE. Hope he's hitting the weights.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Legend
Legend
At 6'7", 270... I hope he's skipping the salad bar and hitting the steak.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
He could use some weight training but at 6'7" those arms can knock down a lot of passes!

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
I view Alex Wright as a "project" based on his play on the field.

I have no idea what the Browns draft team saw that made them believe that Alex Wright deserved being drafted in the 3rd round.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
They probably saw potential and the fact he'll be learning from one of the best; MG

T
Legend
Legend
T
The Browns pulled the rare 2 DE's in the same draft, ( which is a good thing, almost as good as a 3 or 4 De's in the same draft could wind up) but, of the draft picks above the 104 overall line, (the Browns 4 'real' drafted picks) only Alex Wright was a Defensive end.

( It's not brainiak, it's brawn-eye-yauk) (it's bryy-nee-uK)

ABOVE THE LINE! The Browns drafted in 2022, selections Martin Emmerson CB
Alex Wright DE, and
WR David BEll,
and the Line ends with the selection closest to 104 overall, not going to far above, like not 112th, I mean,
at 108th overall the Browns selected Perrion Winfrey.

Martin Emmerson, Alex Wright, David Bell, and Perrion Winfrey!

Martin Emmerson, Alex Wright, David Bell, and Perrion Winfrey! ... I don't know what analytics they are using. frown

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted by dawg66
Awfully skinny looking arms for a DE. Hope he's hitting the weights.

From the get go I have stated if he becomes a gym rat in 2 years he could be a STUD!
jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
The next Jason Taylor, perhaps.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
They probably saw potential and the fact he'll be learning from one of the best; MG

At a certain point in the draft that's mostly what's left to base your draft pick on. I just hope that those who seem so hopeful keep it within the context of what the odds are players at their position in the draft have of being solid NFL players.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B

Lot's of guys were learning from Joe Thomas and that didn't produce a wealth of great OT's in town.

Guys can learn all they want from another player, but that only goes so far. If they can't do what the other player can do as a baseline, a few tricks of the trade won't make much of a difference.

On a personal basis, Einstein could have taught me Physics, but it wouldn't have done much good. The best mathematics teacher I ever had took the attitude that he didn't assign much homework. His attitude was if you could or couldn't work the 3 problems he gave you, you could or couldn't work the 20 problems he gave you. Either you could or you couldn't. There wasn't any in between.

I loved that guy.

Last edited by Ballpeen; 05/21/22 08:37 AM.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Ball I see your point but our FO saw something in this kid. He could turn out to be a good player for us with time to develop. I'm hoping so.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Ball I see your point but our FO saw something in this kid. He could turn out to be a good player for us with time to develop. I'm hoping so.

No disagreement there. I think he can be at the least a pretty good rotational guy if not a good starter.

My only point is over the years people talk about this guy or that guy can learn from so and so. I am just saying that only goes so far, and IMO it doesn't help a whole lot.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
Peen you are thinking about the HOW TO stuff, I agree there is only so much a veteran can aide a young guy...point blank as Diam taught me, in the NFL its about the TALENT.

My point in all this is anything would rub off of Garrett and now Clowney on a young guy like Wright is that in the Gym room. How to work hard how to push each other. This kid Wright can become a 1st round talent if he becomes a gym rat and becomes dedicated to that regimen. I that regard it is important to have that veteran leadership.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by eotab
Peen you are thinking about the HOW TO stuff, I agree there is only so much a veteran can aide a young guy...point blank as Diam taught me, in the NFL its about the TALENT.

My point in all this is anything would rub off of Garrett and now Clowney on a young guy like Wright is that in the Gym room. How to work hard how to push each other. This kid Wright can become a 1st round talent if he becomes a gym rat and becomes dedicated to that regimen. I that regard it is important to have that veteran leadership.

jmho
I don't discount veteran leadership. Even in the weight room it only goes so far. If a guy is lazy in there, I don't think Garrett or Chubb are going to make a big difference. I am not saying none. Just saying just because Garrett is all world is going to take a guy from being lazy to a workout warrior.

People say that all the time about guys who get to sit and learn behind various QB's. I haven't seen many, if any of the guys to sat behind Brady turn in to all that much. Grappolo has done OK, but I don't know that his sitting behind Brady for a few years has made him any better than he would have been otherwise.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
Most definitely Alex Wright or any of our PLAYERS have to have that desire to be the BEST which starts with being in the Best shape of their lives. Now its their job as a football player. They shouldn't have to be told but a kid like Wright did not have to work hard to be good and he skated by. But in the NFL everyone is in that category and if he wishes to get ahead he has to work hard. Some have to lose their spot and get released before it sinks in. Some get it right away and have that extra desire.
Hopefully we vetted him and other to be that kind of guy.
We agree to agree...lol laugh

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

B
Legend
Legend
B
We have been agreeing on more things than not over the last 23 years or more my friend.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
yeah but you gave up on WINE...how could you...lol laugh

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by eotab
yeah but you gave up on WINE...how could you...lol laugh

Well, I did. I am drinking a non-alcohol beer as I type. We'll just call that good.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season 2022 NFL Draft Alex Wright, defensive line, selected with the 78th pick

Link Copied to Clipboard