Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
V
Legend
Legend
V
According to screenshots reviewed by CNN and an interview with the girl, whose mother gave permission for her to be interviewed, Ramos complained about his grandmother being "on the phone with AT&T abojt (sic) my phone."
"It's annoying," he texted.
Six minutes later, he texted: "I just shot my grandma in her head."
Seconds later, he said, "Ima go shoot up a(n) elementary school rn (right now)."
The 15-year-old girl, who lives in Frankfurt, Germany, said she began chatting with Ramos on a social media app on May 9.

and

The teen girl in Germany who said she and Ramos had communicated for weeks said Ramos told her he spent a lot of time alone at home.
"Every time I talked to him," she said, "he never had plans with his friends."

The left will continue to place all the blame on the right while ignoring what is right in front of their faces. Let's not try and identify these troubled souls, get them the help they need, and get them off the streets and instead just blame political parties.

Ignorant.

1 member likes this: tastybrownies
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
The left will continue to place all the blame on the right while ignoring what is right in front of their faces. Let's not try and identify these troubled souls, get them the help they need, and get them off the streets and instead just blame political parties.

Ignorant.

I do not believe either party has moral superiority.

In addition, Texas ranked last out of all 50 states and the District of Columbia for overall access to mental health care, according to the 2021 State of Mental Health in America report.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Abbott said the shooter had a 'mental health' issue. A month ago, he slashed funding to help.

Mike Hixenbaugh and Corky Siemaszko and Aria Bendix
Wed, May 25, 2022, 7:22 PM·4 min read
link

UVALDE, Texas — Gov. Greg Abbott said Wednesday that the Uvalde school shooter had a "mental health challenge" and the state needed to "do a better job with mental health" — yet in April he slashed $211 million from the department that oversees mental health programs.

In addition, Texas ranked last out of all 50 states and the District of Columbia for overall access to mental health care, according to the 2021 State of Mental Health in America report.

"We as a state, we as a society, need to do a better job with mental health," Abbot said during a news conference at Robb Elementary School, where a gunman shot and killed 19 children and two teachers on Tuesday.

His remarks came just a day after an outraged Connecticut senator called out lawmakers opposed to gun control who seek to blame mental illness for the most recent school shooting and others before it.

In rejecting suggestions that stronger gun control laws could have prevented the tragedy, Abbott conceded the slain 18-year-old suspect had no known mental health issues or criminal history but said, "Anybody who shoots somebody else has a mental health challenge.”

His assertions drew rebukes from public health experts and scholars who study mass murderers, as well as from his Democratic gubernatorial rival Beto O’Rourke, who was ejected from the news conference after storming the stage and accusing the pro-gun Republican of “doing nothing” to stop gun violence.

“There is no evidence the shooter is mentally ill, just angry and hateful,” said Lori Post, director of the Buehler Center for Health Policy and Economics at the Northwestern University School of Medicine. “While it is understandable that most people cannot fathom slaughtering small children and want to attribute it to mental health, it is very rare for a mass shooter to have a diagnosed mental health condition.”

David Riedman, founder of the Center for Homeland Defense and Security’s K-12 School Shooting Database, said, "Overall, mass shooters are rational. They have a plan. It’s something that develops over months or years, and there’s a clear pathway to violence.”

The much bigger problem, they said, is Texas and many other states are awash in weapons.

“Texas has more guns per capita than any other state,” Post said. “After the tragic 2019 mass shooting in El Paso, the governor signed several bills to curb mass shootings; unfortunately, most of those bills involved arming the public to stop mass shooters."

Post pointed out that police officers trained in active shootings were injured Tuesday. She and others said that even if mental illness were the root cause of the elementary school shooting, local officials have historically shortchanged programs to help people with psychological problems.

Last year, The Houston Chronicle published a three-part series that showed Texas leaders failed to adequately fund or manage the state’s eroding mental health system.

In addition, conservative parenting groups in Texas and elsewhere have targeted school-based mental health initiatives, including programs meant to help students manage their emotions. Critics claim the programs are a “Trojan horse” for critical race theory, a separate and rarely taught academic concept that examines how systemic racism is embedded in society.

In Uvalde County, a mostly rural area where a fifth of the 24,456 mostly Latino residents live in poverty, the money budgeted for “health and welfare” has ranged in recent years from $2.8 million to $3.8 million, records show.

“I hesitate to comment on how much a county should be spending because mental illness cannot fairly be blamed as the primary driver of mass shootings,” said Greg Hansch, who heads the Texas chapter of the National Alliance on Mental Illness. “People with mental illness are more likely to be victims of mass shootings than perpetrators of mass shootings. Less than 10 percent of shootings involved a suspect who had mental health issues."

Dr. Sadiya Khan, an assistant professor at the Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, said that while mental health programs need more funding, "it will not eliminate the need for gun control."

"All it takes is one person to get one gun to ruin hundreds of lives," she said. "Our children’s lives depend on gun control.”

Tamar Mendelson, a professor in the mental health department at Johns Hopkins University, said that while it’s difficult to put a dollar figure on what it will take to ease the nation's mental health crisis, it's clear the U.S. “doesn’t invest enough in mental health.”

“We also do not take a preventative approach,” Mendelson said. “We don’t do it enough in school settings, where we can provide critically needed care to young people. And we lack ‘culturally competent’ care, like for example, Spanish-speaking therapists.”

On Tuesday, after learning about the Texas massacre, Sen. Chris Murphy, D-Conn., pleaded with his Republican colleagues to ditch the old excuses.

“Spare me the [censored] about mental illness,” Murphy said. “We don’t have any more mental illness than any other country in the world. You cannot explain this through a prism of mental illness."

Hixenbaugh reported from Uvalde and Siemaszko from New York.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Lyuokdea
Dude - he was in a shootout with three different police officers before he entered the classroom..

But sure - the PTA will solve this.

I offer possible solutions. You offer nothing.

Carry on.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
You offer solutions? Lol …you and people who think like you are the problem.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Dude - he was in a shootout with three different police officers before he entered the classroom..

Carry on.

You offer solutions within the constraint that you still need to be able to grab your guns so that you can cosplay "hero-soldier"

~Lyuokdea
Legend
Legend
You offer solutions? Lol …you and people who think like you are the problem.
Originally Posted by Milk Man

Ignorant.

Yeah the looney RIGHT! Who has the mental health problem here? This is coming from the same guy who has proven he will let the rapists off the hook and will turn around and prosecute their victims.

Last edited by PerfectSpiral; 05/26/22 09:27 AM.

– Jackie Robinson
V
Legend
Legend
V

Ignorant.

Once again, I better clarify. I am not blaming either party. I am not blaming the Democrats and I sure as hell am not defending the Republicans. I don''t trust either party and I do not like or believe in either party. The less they have to do w/my life, the better.

What I am saying is that we keep ignoring the larger problem and focus on this political ping-pong game where the ball of blame gets paddled from one court to the other. I will say this again..............social misfits are not hard to identify. My 5th grade students were already capable of identifying them. These troubled youths are dangerous early on. Most are identified but are not properly treated and dealt with. The prevailing treatments and interventions are well-intentioned because we want to believe in our young, but it's not working and we are only furthering their isolation and how they feel victimized by the rest of society.

Are Americans ready to make hard decisions and more importantly are they willing to spend the enormous amount of money that it will take to treat and care for this ever-growing part of our population?

I doubt it. Instead, the idiots from both parties will continue to blame one another and their minions will argue w/ferocity about how their "side" is right. That is why I used the word "ignorant."

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 05/26/22 09:44 AM.
mac #1947046 05/26/22 09:59 AM
Legend
Legend
man all these good guys with a gun not doing a damn thing to stop these shooters.

well, that trash ass narrative can go out the window now.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
1 member likes this: OldColdDawg
mac #1947047 05/26/22 10:03 AM
Legend
Legend
“guns aren’t the problem” Really? Can we have a mass shooting without a gun that can kill in mass? I think not.

– Jackie Robinson
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

Carry on.

You offer solutions within the constraint that you still need to be able to grab your guns so that you can cosplay "hero-soldier"

LOL...carry on.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Swish #1947050 05/26/22 10:04 AM
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Originally Posted by Swish
man all these good guys with a gun not doing a damn thing to stop these shooters.

This is the key problem though...

Last night there were probably a million people (mainly men) who went to bed and dreamed about how "if I were only there with my gun, I would have stopped this..." - they dream of the shootout where they are the hero and this dream drives their politics.

Interestingly, they never get shot in that dream.

But that's not reality - and nobody wants to enter a room with a pistol against a suspect holding an AR-15.... Because while our politics lives in dreamworld - we do not.

~Lyuokdea
Swish #1947054 05/26/22 10:14 AM
Legend
Legend
18 year old buys two ar’s, a few hundred rounds of ammo and full body armor…passes three background checks …no red flags in Texas. Saddle up. “Guns aren’t the problem?” Pffft yes they are. It’s a huge problem.

– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend

This is the key problem though...

Last night there were probably a million people (mainly men) who went to bed and dreamed about how "if I were only there with my gun, I would have stopped this..." - they dream of the shootout where they are the hero and this dream drives their politics.

Interestingly, they never get shot in that dream.

But that's not reality - and nobody wants to enter a room with a pistol against a suspect holding an AR-15.... Because while our politics lives in dreamworld - we do not.

Unfortunately and undoubtedly some of these dreamer soldier hero’s you speak of turn into mass shooters.

– Jackie Robinson
Swish #1947065 05/26/22 11:03 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Sure just like you don't need a gun to protect yourself, that's what cops are for.

How often is there a school shooting in Utah? Staff has been able to carry there for a long time. Schools are NOT a gun free zone. Yeah, someone will likely bring up the teacher who had an ND and shot someone. But there wasn't a death and it is better than some one with mental problems having free run to shoot indiscriminately while responders figure out what is happening.

Swish #1947067 05/26/22 11:07 AM
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

I'm starting to get the impression that the good guy with a gun forgot what to do with that gun when facing a threat.

mac #1947069 05/26/22 11:11 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
If he was supposed to go in and didn't does he still qualify as a good guy?

Keep in mind that police actually do not have a duty to protect you (Warren vs DC). They only have a duty to protect special people (read politicians and judges etc.)

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PerfectSpiral
18 year old buys two ar’s, a few hundred rounds of ammo and full body armor…passes three background checks …no red flags in Texas. Saddle up. “Guns aren’t the problem?” Pffft yes they are. It’s a huge problem.

Some points that I heard being discussed since shooting...

...you want to buy a handgun in Texas..? You have to 21 years old...
...want to buy an AR-15 military style weapon in Texas..? You only have to be 18 years old to buy as many as you want.

That's messed up !

Last edited by mac; 05/26/22 11:45 AM.

1 member likes this: FATE
mac #1947075 05/26/22 11:52 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Uvalde: AR-15
Buffalo: AR-15
Boulder: AR-15
Orlando: AR-15
Parkland: AR-15
Las Vegas: AR-15
Aurora, CO: AR-15
Sandy Hook: AR-15
Waffle House: AR-15
San Bernardino: AR-15
Midland/Odessa: AR-15
Poway synagogue: AR-15
Sutherland Springs: AR-15
Tree of Life Synagogue: AR-15

There may be a pattern here...

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

mac #1947077 05/26/22 11:55 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would not argue against mental illness being a driving issue. I can even understand if someone wants to claim it is entirely responsible for the mass shootings. Let's for a second say that assertion is true. We then have 2 choices:

1, we can make it as easy as possible for them to kill a lot of people or
2, we can make it as hard as possible for them to kill a lot of people

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
mac #1947080 05/26/22 11:59 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
And yes, this country needs to do a better job addressing the mental health issues. But one of the blockades to that is many (most?) mentally ill people don't seek help. Often they don't want help because they don't think they need it. Other time they are afraid of being burdened by the stigmata that society places on those that do seek help.

mac #1947081 05/26/22 12:03 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Police narrative on Texas school shooting in question as new details emerge

Christopher Wilson·Senior Writer
Thu, May 26, 2022, 9:21 AM

The official account of what happened during a shooting at the Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, is under scrutiny following the reporting of new details.

At a press briefing Wednesday afternoon, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott praised police for their response to the massacre Tuesday that killed 19 kids and two teachers. A Border Patrol officer fatally shot the gunman, who authorities identified as 18-year-old Salvador Ramos.

“The reality is as horrible as what happened, it could have been worse," Abbott said. "The reason it was not worse is because law enforcement officials did what they do. They showed amazing courage by running towards gunfire for the singular purpose of trying to save lives. And it is a fact that because of their quick response getting on the scene, being able to respond to the gunman and eliminate the gunman, they were able to save lives. Unfortunately, not enough.”

However, the Associated Press reported late Wednesday that police waited outside the school for at least 40 minutes while parents and onlookers urged them to do something.

“Let’s just rush in because the cops aren’t doing anything like they are supposed to,” Javier Cazares, whose daughter Jacklyn was killed in the attack, told the AP. “More could have been done.”

“There were five or six of [us] fathers, hearing the gunshots, and [police officers] were telling us to move back,” Cazares told the Washington Post. “We didn’t care about us. We wanted to storm the building. We were saying, ‘Let’s go,’ because that is how worried we were, and we wanted to get our babies out.”

A nearly seven-minute video posted to social media seems to support the AP’s story, showing police restraining parents outside of the school, including holding one person on the ground. Uvalde, a small city of about 16,000 people, spends roughly 40% of its annual city budget on police.

Police said the shooter had barricaded himself inside the school, but the AP reported that he barricaded himself by locking the door. Border Patrol had difficulty breaching the locked classroom door and had to get a staff member with a key to unlock it.

“The bottom line is law enforcement was there. They did engage immediately. They did contain (Ramos) in the classroom,” Department of Public Safety Director Steve McCraw told reporters Wednesday.

Law enforcement did not provide a televised press briefing on Tuesday evening. Abbott spoke briefly about the shooting in the late afternoon before attending a campaign fundraiser. School district leadership gave brief statements without providing any details or taking questions.

Officials said Wednesday that they immediately engaged the shooter so he was pinned down and couldn’t access other areas of the school. NBC News reported early Thursday morning that, “For the second time, it appears the information initially provided by Texas law enforcement officials was wrong. The shooter was not stopped by the first officer that encountered him. And he wasn’t pinned down but rather appears to have locked himself in a classroom.”

Law enforcement had previously said the shooter was wearing body armor but also retracted that initial claim.

In an interview Wednesday evening with San Antonio outlet KENS 5, a fourth grader who said he was hiding in a classroom indicated that police officers’ actions may have caused another child who was hiding from the shooter to get shot.

“When the cops came, the cop said: ‘Yell if you need help!’ And one of the persons in my class said ‘help.’ The guy overheard and he came in and shot her,” said the boy. “The cop barged into that classroom. The guy shot at the cop. And the cops started shooting.”

The two teachers in the fourth-grade classroom, Irma Garcia and Eva Mireles, were killed. The student said they were “nice teachers” who “went in front of my classmates to help. To save them.”

Lt. Christopher Olivarez of the Texas Department of Public Safety told CNN Thursday morning that authorities were still gathering information on what had happened, including why it took officers so long to enter the building.

“I can tell you right now, as a father myself, I would want to go in too, but it’s a volatile situation,” Olivarez said when asked about Cazares’s comments. “We have an active shooter situation, we’re trying to preserve any further loss of life, and as much as they want to go into that school, we cannot have individuals go into that school, especially if they’re not armed.”

Olivarez said the school did have surveillance video that the FBI was obtaining.

“We’re trying to establish every single timeline, as far as how long the shooter was inside the classroom, how long did the shooting take place, but as of right now, we have not been able to establish that,” Olivarez said. “We want to provide factual information as opposed to just providing timelines that are preliminary. We estimate anywhere from 40 minutes to an hour.”

Olivarez also said they were still gathering the exact details of the initial confrontation between the shooter and the school resource officer. Olivarez said the initial report he had received was that gunfire was exchanged between the two but that information had yet to be corroborated.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/police-n...ion-as-new-details-emerge-132129728.html

Last edited by Jester; 05/26/22 12:04 PM.

Jester #1947084 05/26/22 12:13 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Jester
And yes, this country needs to do a better job addressing the mental health issues. But one of the blockades to that is many (most?) mentally ill people don't seek help. Often they don't want help because they don't think they need it. Other time they are afraid of being burdened by the stigmata that society places on those that do seek help.

In this case the shooter passed three background checks. 3 Background checks had to include some mental health evaluation. No red flags raised so mental health wasn’t a issue in this case. The shooter was overly upset that his grandmother was questioning his cell phone bill and usage and snapped. A sane law abiding AR owning citizen. Right up until the second he snapped and became a mass murderer.

– Jackie Robinson
Jester #1947085 05/26/22 12:14 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
No rational person would say that any one thing is "entirely responsible" for mass shootings. That would be just as ignorant as those who try to make the shootings entirely political.

I am not a mental health expert. I had a couple of years as Psyche major, but I have no qualifications to support what I am about to imply. I'm not sure if mental illness and social misfits are one and the same or if they are loosely connected. I suspect the latter. Look at some of these losers who are committing these crimes. Some are extreme racists. Who in their right mind would embrace that point of view? Others are the social misfits who can't ever find a girl and our outcasts among their peers. Remember the Asian dude w/the nice car who blamed girls for not dating him? Or, this most recent guy who reportedly did not have friends and had an internet girlfriend. I could go on and on but that would be boring to most.

Wouldn't identifying these people and providing treatment or removing them from everyday society "make it as hard as possible for them to kill a lot of people?" In the meantime, wouldn't doing studies of how we are creating so many monsters and trying to develop suggestions on how to improve our social climate help reduce the problem?

Nothing is full-proof. Again, I am not opposed to stronger gun regulations. I have no problem w/raising the age of ownership or background checks. I am not opposed to fortifying our schools so they are safer, but again, I caution you that turning a school into something that resembles a prison is not a good environment for learning.

Our biggest issue is that to properly make all of these changes, the cost is going to be astronomical. The mental health and/or dealing w/the social misfits would be an immense expense that I can't even put a reasonable number on. And that is our dilemma. Thus, the politicians continue to point fingers and exhibit fake outrage and the public falls for it.

Speaking of the public.............I wonder how much of a financial investment is the public willing to make or endure, if you prefer, to help keep our children safe?

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Our biggest issue is that to properly make all of these changes, the cost is going to be astronomical. The mental health and/or dealing w/the social misfits would be an immense expense that I can't even put a reasonable number on. And that is our dilemma. Thus, the politicians continue to point fingers and exhibit fake outrage and the public falls for it.

Speaking of the public.............I wonder how much of a financial investment is the public willing to make or endure, if you prefer, to help keep our children safe?

I'm 100% for more mental health services (and this is definitely a party line issue -- not something that "neither side is addressing")...

But, how does every other country in the world manage to solve this problem? They aren't spending 10x as much on health care as we are .... they are almost always spending less.

~Lyuokdea
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No rational person would say that any one thing is "entirely responsible" for mass shootings. That would be just as ignorant as those who try to make the shootings entirely political. But many do. I also think it is ignorant. Just like it it ignorant for someone to say this has nothing to do with guns.

I am not a mental health expert. I had a couple of years as Psyche major, but I have no qualifications to support what I am about to imply. I'm not sure if mental illness and social misfits are one and the same or if they are loosely connected. I suspect the latter. Look at some of these losers who are committing these crimes. Some are extreme racists. Who in their right mind would embrace that point of view? Others are the social misfits who can't ever find a girl and our outcasts among their peers. Remember the Asian dude w/the nice car who blamed girls for not dating him? Or, this most recent guy who reportedly did not have friends and had an internet girlfriend. I could go on and on but that would be boring to most. These are not the same but there is certainly overlap.

Wouldn't identifying these people and providing treatment or removing them from everyday society "make it as hard as possible for them to kill a lot of people?" In the meantime, wouldn't doing studies of how we are creating so many monsters and trying to develop suggestions on how to improve our social climate help reduce the problem? How do you identify them and force them into treatment if they have yet to do anything legally wrong ? How do you remove them from society if they have done nothing legally wrong? Should we remove all the Proud Boys from society? Their rhetoric is worrisome but having their beliefs (no matter how crazy I may think they are) is their right, up until the point it infringes on someone else's rights. What about flat-earthers? I believe that it is crazy for someone to believe that the earth is flat. Should we do something about them?

Nothing is full-proof. Again, I am not opposed to stronger gun regulations. I have no problem w/raising the age of ownership or background checks. I am not opposed to fortifying our schools so they are safer, but again, I caution you that turning a school into something that resembles a prison is not a good environment for learning. I would agree that turning a school into something that resemble a war zone fortification should be a last resort. And I agree that there should be stronger gun regulation. Unfortunately it seem as if we are going in the opposite direction. We seem to be doing all that we can to make it easier to get a gun

Our biggest issue is that to properly make all of these changes, the cost is going to be astronomical. The mental health and/or dealing w/the social misfits would be an immense expense that I can't even put a reasonable number on. And that is our dilemma. Thus, the politicians continue to point fingers and exhibit fake outrage and the public falls for it. I don't have any idea of what this would cost. Some politicians have fake outrage, others have true outrage , and yet others act as if this isn't a problem at all.

Speaking of the public.............I wonder how much of a financial investment is the public willing to make or endure, if you prefer, to help keep our children safe? INteresting question to which I couldn't venture to guess.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Good point about other countries. It's certainly eye-opening. That is why I briefly mentioned about allocating more money for research. I don't claim to have the answers. I just think that more needs to be done and we need a more holistic approach rather than trying to pigeon-hole things. For example, I wonder if there are differences on the effects of social media, amount of time spent on certain activities, political divides, classes, etc. Again, I am not saying guns are not a factor and I would support more legislation. I just think we are selling ourselves short if we try to make this a black and white issue. I'm using that phrase figuratively, not literally.

Legend
Legend
Many countries make it very very hard for their citizens to buy any firearms at all let alone a AR. And only after training and multiple gun safety classes. But the USA has never been known to follow a working model when it comes to Gun’s, education, healthcare, Transportation, and Law enforcement.

Last edited by PerfectSpiral; 05/26/22 12:42 PM.

– Jackie Robinson
Jester #1947094 05/26/22 12:41 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I want to be clear that I am not arguing. I'll let most of what you said simply stand on their own merits. I'm good w/that. I will just address two points. The first point we discussed and the third.

In regards to the first interaction, I will just say that I will not reduce myself to ignorant behavior and/or beliefs just because others do.

The third point is controversial. I don't think our society is prepared to deal with it. Understand that we do indeed identify troubled youths at a fairly young age. They do receive intervention and Lord knows they receive a ton of accommodations that often adversely affect the lives of their peers. The controversial part is about re-thinking how we treat those individuals. My thoughts on this seem in conflict w/one another because on one front, I would want more compassion and efforts dedicated to treating the tormented individuals. On the other hand, a majority of health professionals and do-gooders would be appalled at some of the consequences I would consider putting in place in order to keep others safe.

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
j/c

(can't quite get timestamp to work, part starts at 52 seconds)

[video:youtube]
[/video]

Last edited by Lyuokdea; 05/26/22 12:48 PM.

~Lyuokdea
mac #1947096 05/26/22 12:52 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mac

...want to buy an AR-15 military style weapon in Texas..? You only have to be 18 years old to buy as many as you want.

That's messed up !
Right? Yet the gun establishment makes a fool of itself by acting like any change is some kind of threat to democracy!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
mac #1947097 05/26/22 12:58 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by mac

That's messed up !

Approximately half the homicides in the US are done with a handgun. Long rifles of all types are a much smaller percentage.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I want to be clear that I am not arguing. I'll let most of what you said simply stand on their own merits. I'm good w/that. I will just address two points. The first point we discussed and the third. To be clear, I am not trying to argue either nor did I think you were arguing. I think we are having a fairly decent discussion.

In regards to the first interaction, I will just say that I will not reduce myself to ignorant behavior and/or beliefs just because others do.
I do feel that we need to acknowledge that there are a lot of ignorant behaviors out there. I am sure I am guilty of a few myself. We also need to realize that many of these ignorant behaviors and beliefs present significant barriers to addressing a problem - I used the phrasing "a problem" because I think it is a barrier to addressing most problems not just this one.

The third point is controversial. I don't think our society is prepared to deal with it. Understand that we do indeed identify troubled youths at a fairly young age. They do receive intervention and Lord knows they receive a ton of accommodations that often adversely affect the lives of their peers. The controversial part is about re-thinking how we treat those individuals. My thoughts on this seem in conflict w/one another because on one front, I would want more compassion and efforts dedicated to treating the tormented individuals. On the other hand, a majority of health professionals and do-gooders would be appalled at some of the consequences I would consider putting in place in order to keep others safe.

We do identify many but we miss many as well. Parents play a role too. They refuse to admit little johnny has a problem and needs help. As for how we currently address those issues, it might be interesting to know how many children get identified, and what percent of those receive intervention, and what percent of those receiving intervention had a successful intervention? Though the last question will be difficult to answer because I don't think we would get a consensus on what would be considered a successful outcome.

Good interactions, off to get some stuff done

Last edited by Jester; 05/26/22 12:59 PM.

FrankZ #1947100 05/26/22 01:05 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FrankZ
Originally Posted by mac

That's messed up !

Approximately half the homicides in the US are done with a handgun. Long rifles of all types are a much smaller percentage.

But it's the drug of choice for every snotty-nosed child killer who wants his 15 minutes. Houston, we have a problem.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FrankZ #1947102 05/26/22 01:14 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by FrankZ
Originally Posted by mac

That's messed up !

Just in case you missed it, this thread happens to be about Mass Murders, not handguns.

El Paso: AK-47

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by WooferDawg

There may be a pattern here...

QFT!

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
jc...

Like it or not, this is going to become a huge POLITICAL issue and it needs to be that way just get State Governments to respond to the wishes of the overwhelming majority of Americans who want sensible gun laws passed.

We are talking about 80 to 90% of the citizens who are Republicans, Democrats and Independent who are given lip service to their demands as those politicians who control the State Governments simply ignore the wishes of their citizens and place the wishes of special interest groups such as the NRA ahead of the wishes of the citizens.

Looks like the only way anything is going to change is if the citizens take their government back by forcing the politicians to place a higher priority on the wants and needs of citizens over the special interest "BRIBES"...the special interest money that politicians favor over the wishes of their own citizens and voters.

Last edited by mac; 05/26/22 01:31 PM.

mac #1947107 05/26/22 01:45 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Horrible.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Thats terrible. I feel so bad for those kids.

No Craps Given
EveDawg #1947115 05/26/22 02:24 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by EveDawg
Eh, you post red flag posts multiple times a week.

Very telling by who likes your post. The red flags = truth GOPers don't want to hear. So, I don't care.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 05/26/22 02:28 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Mass Shootings

Link Copied to Clipboard