Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
O
Legend
Legend
O
What to do with Baker? Root for him in the Superbowl when DW goes to jail?

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Browns excuse Baker Mayfield from mandatory minicamp

Posted by Josh Alper on June 8, 2022, 12:28 PM EDT

When Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski spoke to reporters on Monday, he had no comment on whether the team would excuse quarterback Baker Mayfield from next week’s mandatory minicamp.

According to multiple reports, the Browns have now revealed their decision. Mayfield has been excused from taking part in the sessions in what the team called a mutual decision and he will not be fined for missing any sessions.

Mayfield has not taken part in any work with the Browns since they completed a trade for Deshaun Watson in March. Attempts to move Mayfield to another team have thus far been unsuccessful, which leaves his $18.858 million salary for the 2022 season on Cleveland’s books and leaves the first overall pick in the 2018 draft in limbo until a development arises that pushes him to another team.

That impasse and Mayfield’s ongoing recovery from left shoulder surgery made his excusal the likeliest course of action for the Browns to take. The 49ers made the same call this week with Jimmy Garoppolo, who had surgery on his throwing shoulder as the team pivoted to Trey Lance as their starting quarterback.

Both quarterbacks could wind up moving on at some point before the start of the 2022 season, but they’ll have to settle for being non-participating members of their current teams for at least a little while longer.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-baker-mayfield-from-mandatory-minicamp/

The Jacoby Brissett era begins.

P
Legend
Legend
P
No surprise to many of us.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

That familiar sound you here? Of a season that ends before it gets even close to starting? It's back. Like that comfy sweatshirt that you wear with shorts in the fall...it comes out every year. Might as well tank for the draf...wait...hmmm...no...that's...I'd rather we accumulate draft picks - that WE get to use...and still suck...than spend draft picks that someone else gets to use... and still suck.

Who didn't see this coming?

P
Legend
Legend
P
And that sweatshirt has stains all over it that just won't wash out. Yet despite just how disgusting that sweatshirt becomes, you still wear it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
"bring out yer dead!"

[Linked Image from dailysnark.com]

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

2 members like this: oobernoober, OldColdDawg
Legend
Legend
And the latest QB has more charges than names on the back of the jersey! 😳

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
I am going to guess we will soon learn that if Baker wasn't good enough neither of the two available QAs will get us over the hump either. I can see us possibly selling off some big names within a year to recoup picks from the Watson deal.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
The Browns have gone through more QBS than Watson has message therapists
Hahaha.

L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
The Browns have gone through more QBS than Watson has message therapists
Hahaha.

Sadly maybe half as many QBs and Watson's had massage therapist.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I bet Clowney is wishing he would have held off just a bit longer...

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
What to do with Baker? Fly to his house...grovel at his feet...apologize for all over him...offer him a bonus for coming back...beg him to come to TC...mow his lawn...wash his car and feet...that should do it...oh...and force him to use only team-vetted massage personnel.

Last edited by Referee 3; 06/09/22 08:16 AM.
1 member likes this: OldColdDawg
Legend
Legend
Berry going over to Baker's house ...

Browns is the Browns

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Berry to Baker:

[Linked Image from static6.depositphotos.com]

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
What to do with Baker? Fly to his house...grovel at his feet...apologize for all over him...offer him a bonus for coming back...beg him to come to TC...mow his lawn...wash his car and feet...that should do it...oh...and force him to use only team-vetted massage personnel.

If DW gets banned for 12 or more games (at this point I expect the season) - Baker would be the best option. I just wonder if Berry and KS would consider it. I'm glad Baker has been out of the news, off social media, maybe there is a chance.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Legend
Legend
M
I just wonder if Berry and KS would consider it

Do we really need to wonder if they'd consider it? I think we all know where this situation stands.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Most probably .... but if we accept Watson is better than Baker but Baker is better than Brissett. . . . And as an organization the goal is to win.... Don't you have to consider if the bridge can be built? Baker couldn't p[lay for a team more ready to win than the Browns. He could have a good year and establish his market value for next contract off a good year instead of an injury plagued season.

* Again - this is assuming no DW all year.

Last edited by mgh888; 06/09/22 01:05 PM.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I've never seen anyone pay a tenant 18.8 million dollars to evict them. Better luck next time.

#gmstrong
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Originally Posted by mgh888
Originally Posted by WSU Willie

If DW gets banned for 12 or more games (at this point I expect the season) - Baker would be the best option. I just wonder if Berry and KS would consider it. I'm glad Baker has been out of the news, off social media, maybe there is a chance.

As bad as that relationship has been fractured think about how we bought DW after being the first one refused. I could see Haslam dropping bank on Baker at this point because we are just a huge Clown Show now.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
I just wonder if Berry and KS would consider it

Do we really need to wonder if they'd consider it? I think we all know where this situation stands.

There's actually nearly no chance at all that they do it. They may briefly consider it, but they wouldn't actually do it.
They will roll with Brisset to open the season, and should he get injured, they will let the season wash out with Dobbs before they "stoop" to asking Baker.
Baker isn't seeing the field for CLE barring a catastrophic implosion to the roster at that position.

Browns is the Browns

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
IMO, even though it's a given that Baker won't play another down for us, I feel we should utilize him as a consultant. His knowledge of the O could be a huge help to our new QB's, Stadium maintenance and others who want to buy insurance from Progressive. Let's not be too quick to cut the ties!!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by mgh888
Most probably .... but if we accept Watson is better than Baker but Baker is better than Brissett. . . . And as an organization the goal is to win.... Don't you have to consider if the bridge can be built? Baker couldn't p[lay for a team more ready to win than the Browns. He could have a good year and establish his market value for next contract off a good year instead of an injury plagued season.

* Again - this is assuming no DW all year.

If Baker is a locker room cancer, then I don't believe he will have a good year because his teammates may quit on him.

It's a possibility that's how the organization thinks also.

Excusing Baker from mini camp may have more to do with his rehabbing, it could also mean the FO doesn't want him in the locker room.

just my thoughts on it.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I just expanded on this in the other active thread - honestly the probability is tiny - maybe it's zero. But if the purpose is to win and Baker is better than Bassett then it has to at least be looked at. As you mentioned - it absolutely could not happen unless Baker was on board, and any hard feelings were put to bed. If I am Baker - I don't have a better chance to play on a better team and showcase myself before signing a contract next year ... but yeah - chances are slim and none, one of those left town.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I think you are being extremely fair. So, please do not take this the wrong way. Allow me to ask a question and I'll give you time to think about it. If the Browns were just giving Baker time to rehab, why would they want him to do so away from the team facilities? One more question..........what seems more likely.......allowing him to rehab away from our medical staff or that he is no longer wanted by the organization?

T
Legend
Legend
T
Baker Mayfield has been a Team Player for the Browns.
The Haslams have cut the entire Quarterback Room 3 or more times since they purchased the team, won't appear to allow for development.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It's a tough situation, If Baker could forgive and start off like he did the first two games of last year the team could rally around him and it could be a win win for all involved.

Trying to make sense of all of this and staying positive is kind of exhausting !

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Baker Mayfield has been a Team Player for the Browns

Saying your teammates don't care about winning and worry more about their retirement fund is a team player? Saying that the organization disrespected you is a team player? Asking for a trade is a team player? Blaming the turnover of coaches, some of which you were directly responsible for, is a team player?

LOL

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c:

The team should totally give Baker some massage vouchers to patch things up. Watson probably knows some good spots.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
As fair as I can answer, I cannot say if they want him to rehab away from the facility or if that is his choice. When it comes to rehab from an injury I believe the player has a choice of the place to rehab. I would say it's Bakers choice not to rehab with the team DR's more than them not wanting him to.

What seems more likely, I would have to say rehab away from the facility because that's fact.

As far as not being wanted by the organization, it sure feels that way. Trying to trade him and by signing DW the feeling would be yes they no longer want him.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I disagree w/your take about the rehab part, but that doesn't mean I am right and I do respect your take. Thanks for taking the time to answer, bro.

By the way..........any contact w/the old guard? Click? Prestier? Etc?

Oh crap.........just use initials if you heard anything. This is a public forum. My bad.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 06/09/22 10:33 PM.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
LOL!!!! We have to maintain a sense of humor!!

1 member likes this: mgh888
E
Legend
Legend
E
What to do with Baker is do whatever it takes to have him back. But I doubt that will happen. Right now Baker is workout at his leisure, playing golf and getting paid 18 mil no matter what. He loves the game of football and is at his best playing with a chip on his shoulder so who knows. Question is DO THE BROWNS want to win this season 2022 or just bag it in to get that High pick next year...oh wait we threw our future away with this stoopid trade.

Jordan Davis could have been ours...smh
I will probably not be on this earth for a 2023 season so this means more to me than you can imagine. I hate these idiots who made this trade and did this to ME and all us loyal Browns fan. My son is asking me to become a Cowboy fan...sorry I'm a Cleveland Browns fan or NOTHING.

I didn't see this anywhere. btw Simms has said that Baker is a top 10 QB in the NFL...although he only ranked him #17 in his ranking of QBs but he has stated that the Browns and MEDIA has treated Baker terribly. Well just some of his opinions.

https://thecomeback.com/nfl/chris-simms-cleveland-browns-baker-mayfield.html

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
It really doesnt matter and I would not worry about distractions, I mean seriously is BM a bigger distraction then the DW circus. We are not winning anything this year except a handfull of games against teams that are .500 as long as Jb or JD are forced into playing. Watson will likely not sniff the field this year....wasted year with an otgerwise stacked team.

Juju was right..the browns is the browns

P
Legend
Legend
P
DW is a much bigger distraction. That doesn't mean that if you put another log on the fire it won't increase the heat and the brightness of the flame the fire creates.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
We might have to humble ourselves (The Browns) and have a bury the hatchet meeting with Baker, especially if DW is suspended for the season, it would help Baker show he can still play for a future trade and it would give the Browns a QB that can win with this roster ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PastorMarc
for a future trade

I think that any trade is HIGHLY unlikely. I don't think anyone is going to want to give up picks on a 1-year rental.
A team would have to come to terms on a new deal with Baker as part of it before they'd give up any real compensation, which means that, in a sense, Baker gets to decide if he is traded or not, and to where. BUT, what team is going to give up picks to get him during the season when they'd just have to sit and wait a few more weeks and they can just sign him in free agency?

Before any of this goes down... is Baker even healthy and cleared for everything, yet?

Browns is the Browns

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PastorMarc
We might have to humble ourselves (The Browns) and have a bury the hatchet meeting with Baker, especially if DW is suspended for the season, it would help Baker show he can still play for a future trade and it would give the Browns a QB that can win with this roster ...

There is a better chance of a pterodactyl swooping down and tearing me apart limb by limb than there is of Baker ever playing another down for the Browns.

A more plausible scenario, in the even Watson is suspended for the year, would be to trade for Garoppolo (depending on cost of draft picks) and sign him to a one year deal and let him be the starter for a season. I think this is quite unlikely.

Most likely scenario, Brissett is the starting QB.

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
If a team thinks they can make a playoff run in '22 but has their starter go down...picking up Baker... even in mid-season...would be smart not only for the present...but then Baker's chip as far as a potential comp pick transfers to that new team. But as you said...we don't even know if he's throwing right now. What a mess.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Let me dig ... saw something about him throwing to Cole Beasley and another WR ...

Yep - this is from the end of March which is encouraging.

https://nypost.com/2022/03/30/baker-mayfield-working-out-away-from-browns-with-cole-beasley/

While I think the fact that his injury was to his non throwing arm really impacted his ability to throw in the season - I think for recovery purposes it has to be better/easier.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
DW is a much bigger distraction. That doesn't mean that if you put another log on the fire it won't increase the heat and the brightness of the flame the fire creates.

Off the field, sure, DW is the bigger distraction. On the field, it's Baker.

It's a lot harder to ignore on the field distractions when trying to practice. Players are used to having to compartmentalize and tone down outside noise.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum What to do with Baker

Link Copied to Clipboard