Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by eotab
It looks like we don't wish to part ways with Baker, instead we wish to destroy him. hmmm he cheated with Dee???

Look we are going to pay for Baker regardless and are forced to release him eventually. So why don't we get something for him and get him to go to a NFC team so we pay a large portion of his salary. Any case will have us paying a lot anyways. Eat the pride and dump him and give him his freedom. What he does with it is up to him.

We have decided that he will never play here again.

I have one question what do the Female fans feel about our new QB?

Baker is decided no matter what he will not play here. We might have Darnold as our backup too start???

The Browns ownership and front office decided at some point
In 2021 in order to compete,with the Chiefs Bills Bengals
And Chargers a change in QB was needed
The Browns have moved past Mayfield
The Packers survived Favre moving on without issues
The Niners survived Montana moving on
Why is,it so hard for fans to accept the page on Baker
Has turned. Life goes on. Franchises go on.
It's not like Mayfield took the Browns to great heights
The goal is greater than the player
The goal is to get to the SB.
Baker was never going to get them there

P
Legend
Legend
P
You forgot the "at all costs" part. Also the "no matter how slimy" part.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
TWSS

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I honestly think the best path for both sides, the FO and Baker, is the path neither wants to take, or they feel like it is impossible to take...

The best thing for both parties if for Baker to see the field...whether that be in practice or a preseason game. This does several things...

It allows Baker the chance to change the perception of his maturity and professionalism (ala Garappolo). Teams need to see how he is healing from his injury and they need to see him acting professional. It allows the FO to "double down" on not releasing him, which is what the rest of the NFL wants them to do. The biggest thing it does is buy time. Injuries happen and there will be a QB that goes down. Or if it is deemed/believed that the Browns will not release him...talks will be more likely. While Baker is MIA (injury or not) the media drives the narrative. Baker needs to be seen ( and in a positive way) to help his case. And anything that helps Baker's case will help the Browns' case. Humility, and hard work can go a long way to change a perspective.

This comes with pitfalls. This can't happen without the shared goal of both sides to create a trade. There can be no confusion here. Right now, both sides sitting back is not producing anything...It also means that both sides have to swallow a TON of pride. There is the lockeroom aspect to consider...so they have to work out whether to separate from the team and conduct workouts privately or make it look like he is joining the team and accepting a role. And then both sides need to commit/adhere to it...There is the PR aspect...because you cannot tell me that if this scenario happens, the media would just sit back...They would be swarming. (not necessarily a bad thing if you handle it right)

Don't confuse this scenario with me thinking that it can, should, or would happen. I am not saying that...I am only saying what I think may be the best path to follow in order for both sides to profit. Baker gets traded an starts somewhere, and the Browns get a return even if not much salary relief. It is a risky move, and a difficult one. But the current situation is the media driving the narrative of Baker will never set foot in Berea again much less play for them. And if I am another team...with that knowledge...There is no way that I try to trade for them and give something up...you just wait for them to release him. So the narrative has to change...if you can place ANY doubt into the current narrative, it only helps the Browns and Baker.

But, I don't know if Baker can work the humility angle, and I am not sure the Brown have enough resources to manage the situation...they have their hands full and are already dealing with Deshaun, a new(er) offense, etc....Not to mention, I don't think either party would WANT to.

The Brown's have too much invested in Baker to simply release him. And I think they have no qualms about paying some or even all of Baker's salary this year....But they expect to compensated for doing that and that has been the sticking point.

My entire thought on the situation is that in order to get a deal done, the current narrative has to change....Right now, the Browns are partially hoping that change in narrative comes in the form of an injury to someone's QB...But I think that they need to have more control over that narrative and what I proposed could do that. It isn't easy...its actually kind of ugly...but I do think the best and quickest way for them to part ways is to work together towards that end and to change the narrative.

But will never happen...

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He will end up with the panthers

Joe Thomas #73
P
Legend
Legend
P
Neither practice nor preseason accomplishes either of the things you brought up. There was nothing on the field that gave indications Baker was immature and there's nothing about a glorified practice, preseason games, that will show potential trade partners what they want to see. Any team that considers trading for Baker would interview him and hold a workout. That would be what they rely on to answer those questions.

At this point it seems it may be the Browns who will have to work at the humility angle you speak of as much or more than Baker.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
But teams are expecting the Browns to release him....So they are not going to be "looking to trade for him"...

What I do propose, changes the narrative of releasing him just to get things over with...it also makes Baker visible(in a positive light because the current narrative is immaturity). Both of those things helps move things along if anything will confuse people of what is really going on and in that scenario, if they are even partially considering having him on their team...they are forced to dig deeper which initiates talks...

Both sides need a humility angle for this to work out...But of the 2 the current media generated narrative is about Bakers immaturity...especially after the podcast...regardless, both sides would need to employ it...and both need to work to change a narrative that they haven't had control of and is currently in control of the media...So whether you believe Baker is the incarnation of Farve and Brees, or if you think he is worse than Cordell Stewart...Whether you think the Browns handled this poorly or whether you feel they did everything they could....it doesn't matter...and it doesn't matter to the level of reality of those situations. The current narrative driven by the media is that the Browns are done with Baker and will release him, and Baker is immature....for all tense and purposes...that is the reality. No team is going to trade for an immature player that is going to be released. If the Browns and Baker can change that narrative or even confuse it....things become easier to accomplish in moving on.

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't think it does. Every other team in the league knows the Browns have painted themselves into a corner here. They know the situation between Baker and the Browns is untenable for the season. A dog and pony show won't convince them otherwise.

I've made it clear that I think Baker can be a starter in the NFL when healthy, watson is certainly the better QB "on the field of play". So when a team tells you and the fan base you're the starter for next season then goes out and tries to land your replacement, getting upset about that makes you immature? You talk about changing one narrative at the same time that you've bought into a different one. lmao

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I’m not going to comb thru all the old posts but wondering if the topic has been broached of a straight swap of Mayfield for Darnold. I do NOT think (and never did) that Darnold is a starter but we need a quality backup and to have the Baker drama gone. Exact same guaranteed salary… seems like a no brainer.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I've seen the swap mentioned online and in the media some...But there hasn't been a huge handhold on it. Personally, I don't think a trade like that is made without an agreement with Darnold to restructure his Contract.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by BADdog
He will end up with the panthers

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Pete, you bring up some very good points. I don't think it will happen because I believe that Baker and his crew feel much the same way that another poster did. The feel mistreated and that is a pile of dog poop. I think it's Baker who backed himself into the corner by acting like a spoiled little brat. He has been immature on and off the field. He thinks he is better than he actually is. He alienates people and he is not a top tier QB. Poor combination when you are looking for a job.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Brissett > Darnold.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
The only way I can see that trade happening is to make it possible for Carolina to manage their salary structure. I don't know.......it sounds like a dumb trade, but that is about all I can come up with. Of course, I could be missing something.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
What did Matt Ryan do when he heard the Falcons were trying to trade for Watson..?

I did read that the Falcons had the courtesy to notify Ryan before the news went public or came out on social media...but didn't Mat Ryan demand a trade..?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted by mac
What did Matt Ryan do when he heard the Falcons were trying to trade for Watson..?

I did read that the Falcons had the courtesy to notify Ryan before the news went public or came out on social media...but didn't Mat Ryan demand a trade..?

MMQB: How the Colts and Falcons Negotiated the Matt Ryan Trade

Atlanta’s big decision was 14 months in the making. Here’s how they approached QB-needy teams and involved the longtime face of their franchise. Plus, the overtime rules may change this week, the impact of Deshaun Watson’s guaranteed contract and more.
ALBERT BREERMAR 28, 2022

You are reading 1 of 4 free premium articles. Subscribe for unlimited access for just $1. Members log in.
PALM BEACH, Fla. — It was summer in South Florida, Matt Ryan was still the Falcons’ quarterback, and after the team’s joint practice with Miami, Dolphins general manager Chris Grier went to his new Atlanta counterpart, Terry Fontenot, to give the first-year GM the proverbial pat on the back.

You guys are going to be better than people think.

Grier was right. The Falcons found a way to win seven games, and if you looked hard enough at how the season went, you might’ve come out of it convinced that Atlanta was indeed closer than people had thought six months after that conversation. They even beat that Dolphins team, one that sure looked like the more talented group in August, two months after Grier offered Fontenot that small piece of encouragement.

Fontenot wasn’t fooled, though. He knew a reckoning was coming. And the truth in the Ryan trade of last week is that a year in as Falcons GM and coach, he and Arthur Smith simply went through with a conscious decision—the time for that reckoning was now.

That didn’t make trading away a 14-year veteran and face of the franchise—one who helped dig the Falcons out of a deep ditch back in 2008—any easier. But where it might’ve appeared that Atlanta’s failed run at Deshaun Watson forced the team’s hand on Ryan, the facts were that the calls that Fontenot and Smith made last Monday, the former to Colts GM Chris Ballard and the latter to Ryan himself, were 14 months in the making.

In-depth analysis, unrivaled access. Get SPORTS ILLUSTRATED's best stories every weekday. Sign up now.

But now that it’s done, the Falcons’ rebuild is really underway.

We’re about to tell you the story of how it happened.

Matt Ryan at introductory Colts press conference; Deshaun Watson at introductory Browns press conference; Tyreek Hill as a Chief
Marc Lebryk/USA TODAY Sports (Ryan); Jeff Lange/USA TODAY Network (Watson); Denny Medley/USA TODAY Sports (Hill)

We’re at the league’s annual meeting, and the offseason’s pace hasn’t skipped a beat, so we’ve got plenty to get to in this week’s MMQB. Inside the column, you’ll find …

• A deep dive into the NFL’s looming overtime decision.

• A rundown of the top free agents available—and why they’re available.

• More on the trade prospects of Jimmy Garoppolo and Baker Mayfield.

But we’re starting, for the third straight week, with the ins and outs of a blockbuster quarterback trade. And in this case, we’ll tell you why it was bound to happen.

There’s one number that best illustrates the problem that Smith and Fontenot faced when they started working in Atlanta two Januarys ago—$105 million. That was the combined cap charge for franchise cornerstones Ryan, Julio Jones, Jake Matthews and Grady Jarrett for the 2021 league year before any decisions were made.

That was also 58% of the NFL’s 2021 cap number.

After years of restructures, mortgaging charges against the limit into the future, something was going to have to give. And it did. Smith and Fontenot decided that, at least for a year, they were going to work to field a competitive team with the Atlanta’s longtime leaders in place to try to establish the kind of foundation they’d need to lean on when the time did come to rip the Band-Aid off.

So they restructured Ryan and Matthews. They traded Jones. They decided to swallow hard and keep Jarrett’s number where it was. In doing so, they went young in a lot of areas, cheap in others and lacked depth across the roster. It was enough to give Smith and his staff a chance to coach the team into playoff contention until the new year before the wheels came off at the end of the season.

And yes, the Falcons could’ve restructured Ryan again, kicking the can down the road another time. But in the end, what would that have accomplished?

Over the last few weeks, what crystallized for everyone involved was how the team and player, in this case, were in much different places—the Falcons needing to turn the page, clean up their cap and get younger and deeper, and Ryan, at 37, being at a win-now age for a team that simply couldn’t operate that way.

Which meant that as the team started negotiating extensions for Matthews (that one’s done) and Jarrett (the team is hopeful that one will happen), it was time to do with Ryan what it did with Jones last year and consider all options on perhaps the greatest player in franchise history.

• The process started at the combine when the Falcons met with other teams, and Fontenot and Smith wanted to get a gauge on Ryan’s market value—while being careful about how his name came up in those conversations. The plan was to be communicative and above board with Ryan throughout, so Atlanta couldn’t create the appearance it was shopping Ryan because at that point the Falcons weren’t.

But the small circle involved had a way of getting the information it needed. When Ryan’s name came up, the answer would be, We’re not shopping anyone, but we’ll listen on everyone. And then, Well, if you’re looking at what the Lions and Rams did, then we can talk. That’d elicit a laugh because the Matthew Stafford price would certainly be too high. But then the Falcons would follow back up with, O.K., then what’s the value?

Based on Ryan’s age and price tag, it became clear that getting more than a fourth-round pick was going to be difficult.

• Over the course of last season, the Falcons had heard Watson would have an interest in playing in Atlanta, which is an hour away from his hometown of Gainesville, Ga., and wouldn’t be afraid of being part of a rebuild if it meant getting to play in front of his friends and family. The Falcons knew that wasn’t going to be possible last summer or before the trade deadline—but going into 2022, it’d be feasible.

So they launched an investigation into Watson’s background, and when the grand jury in Harris County, Texas, returned no charges on nine cases filed against the quarterback, they decided to throw their hat in the ring.

But first, they wanted to go to Ryan. Smith told him it was a unique opportunity to get 11 years younger at the position and promised to keep him apprised throughout—and involve him in a trade if it came to that. From there, Ryan agreed to push back the “earned” date of his roster bonus to grease the skids on a trade, if the Falcons were to land Watson. The $7.5 million roster bonus had been due on March 18. It was moved to March 21.

• At that point, Colts assistant GM Ed Dodds and Falcons vice president of player personnel Kyle Smith had started preliminary conversations on a trade, and Arthur Smith and Frank Reich had spoken, too. And around the time that Fontenot, Arthur Smith, Falcons owner Arthur Blank and president Rich McKay met with Watson over Zoom on March 16, Fontenot called Ballard for the first time, knowing that groundwork had been laid by Dodds and Kyle Smith.

“Is there really interest?” Fontenot asked.

“There is,” Ballard responded.

Ballard and Fontenot resolved to keep talking as the situation with Watson drove toward a conclusion.

• On March 18, Watson stunned the NFL by reversing course and choosing the Browns, a team he’d eliminated already, with the Falcons and Saints having been the presumed finalists at daybreak. And where some assumed that the Falcons would then try to patch things up with Ryan, Smith called his quarterback and told him that the Colts had called about him and asked if he was interested in going there.

“I’d love to look into it,” Ryan said.

Ryan’s agent, Todd France, affirmed to Fontenot that the quarterback wanted a meeting.

So on that Saturday morning, Fontenot called Ballard and gave him permission to call Ryan over Zoom—with an email communicating that the Colts would have a four-hour window, from 4 to 8 p.m. ET, to talk to him. Ballard got Reich, offensive coordinator Marcus Brady and assistant quarterback coach Parks Frazier rounded up to make the call with him.

Over a long talk, Ryan’s passion to keep playing, and start winning again, resonated with the Colts’ group.

• On Sunday morning, Ballard reached out to Fontenot and told him he’d call him around 3 p.m. When he did, Ballard’s message was simple: Yes, we want Matt, but we can’t do more than a fourth-round pick for him.

Ballard had, more or less, nailed the market price that those talks at the combine established for the Falcons, and made the argument that it was tough to find a comp for a player like Ryan in a trade. Fontenot threw out names that were a little younger, like Alex Smith’s. And eventually, the cajoling got the Colts to move their offer up to the lower of their third-round picks, 82nd overall (the Colts acquired the 73rd pick in the Carson Wentz trade).

For the Colts, Ryan represented the type of opportunity that Ballard hoped would arise if the team was just patient in filling the hole, which wasn’t an easy position to take, given that they simultaneously thought being aggressive in moving Wentz would get them ahead of the market and, thus, a better return.

• On Monday, Arthur Smith had a speaking engagement at his alma mater in Chapel Hill, N.C., in conjunction with a book tour Blank was on and was meeting with UNC prospects to try to get the most out of the trip. Fontenot was at Kenny Pickett’s pro day at Pitt. Ballard was in Indianapolis, huddled in draft meetings with his scouts.

Ballard called Fontenot from his office with just a few hours left until the roster bonus would be earned at 4 p.m. ET to push the deal over the goal line—82 for Ryan. Fontenot was on the field after the workout was over, waiting for the team’s private meeting with Pickett.

Arthur Smith called Ryan and told him. Fontenot called Ryan while that call was still going on, and Ryan called Fontenot back after he was done with the Atlanta head coach. And that was that.

Fontenot was then called upstairs and went to watch tape with Pickett.

Normally, these things can get messy. But the Falcons resolved this one wouldn’t, and the Colts made sure they wouldn’t be the reason it did, either.

So the upshot for the Falcons?

The page is officially turned. They’ve maintained a veteran presence by bringing back Matthews, working on an extension with Jarrett and signing economical pros like Casey Hayward. They’ll be young this year. They have the eighth pick in the draft, an extra two from the Jones trade and an extra three from this trade. They project, as it stands now, to be top three in the league in cap space in 2023.

Meanwhile, the Colts have their quarterback. And Ryan has a new home.

He never said to the Falcons specifically that he wanted to go to the Colts. But it was clear from the minute Indianapolis was raised as a possibility that he’d be good with it. Ryan knew it was time.

By then, everyone did.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/03/28/mmqb-inside-matt-ryan-trade-falcons-colts

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Pete, you bring up some very good points. I don't think it will happen because I believe that Baker and his crew feel much the same way that another poster did. The feel mistreated and that is a pile of dog poop. I think it's Baker who backed himself into the corner by acting like a spoiled little brat. He has been immature on and off the field. He thinks he is better than he actually is. He alienates people and he is not a top tier QB. Poor combination when you are looking for a job.

Yeah, I don't think it has a chance of happening either...LOL

Both Baker and the Team backed themselves into this corner...The Browns in their decision to go for Watson makes trading Baker precarious...unless they knew 100% they were getting Watson...they couldn't trade Baker before...and now they have no leverage to trade him later. And Baker...well we are just going to agree to disagree on the level of his immaturity...we both believe it is there...just differ on how much...I am just going to say Bad decisions were made. It added to the perception of immaturity. And I willing to consider it could have been pure immaturity. But I am also willing to consider that he has been given a TON of bad advice from his team...

Regardless of what it really is...the result is the same...he backed himself in a corner and hasn't helped himself...

Which is why I devised my scenario because nothing is going to change unless the narrative changes...

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Matt Ryan Makes Admission About Falcons, Deshaun Watson Situation

DANIELA PEREZMAY 3, 2022
link

Editor’s note: This story contains accounts of sexual assault. If you or someone you know is a survivor of sexual assault, contact the National Sexual Assault Hotline at 1-800-656-4673 or at https://www.rainn.org.

Quarterbacks Matt Ryan and Deshaun Watson both enter the 2022 season at the helm of two different organizations than years past. Even though Watson ended up at the Browns and Ryan at the Colts, Watson’s offseason dealings shook things up for the Falcons and catalyzed Ryan’s trade to the Colts.

For days, Atlanta seemed like the likely landing spot for Watson before Cleveland offered the former Texans signal-caller a monster deal. Ryan, who served as quarterback for the Falcons for his entire 14-year career to this point, said on The Ryen Russillo Podcast that had the Watson situation not happened, there would be “a really good chance” Ryan would still be with Atlanta.

“Had none of this gone down? There’s probably a chance, a really good chance,” Ryan told Russillo. “But it did, so when it does, when situations change and the circumstances change, I had always thought—like everybody—when you’re drafted there and you play there, ‘This is where I’m going to play my entire career.’ For 14 years, every day, I woke up, it was to try to help the Falcons win a championship. That had been reciprocated on the other end for me. When that changed, I had to look into it, and it has certainly been a big change, for sure, but a good one. It’s hard to say, but I think honestly it’s more than likely I would’ve probably still been there if circumstances had been different. But I’m excited with where I’m at.”

In March, Watson’s market was hot, with suitors including the Panthers, Falcons, Browns and Saints. It was first reported on March 15 that Atlanta was pursuing the Clemson product when ESPN’s Adam Schefter said the Falcons emerged as a “sleeper team.” Watson personally reached out to Atlanta and had an interest in the franchise, per ESPN’s Dianna Russini. Schefter also reported that Falcons owner Arthur Blank developed a relationship with Watson when the quarterback was the team’s ballboy while playing at Gainesville High in Georgia.

Watson met with Atlanta on March 16, and that same day, it was reported the Falcons informed veteran signal-caller Matt Ryan of their interest in the Houston quarterback. Ryan recalled on the podcast being told about the team’s intentions.

“When free agency starts to pick up and they start to look into what they want to do, I got filled into the loop that they were going to look into Deshaun Watson,” he said. “At that point, I said, ‘O.K., I understand,’ but I also need to look into what I need to look into, and if this doesn’t go down, just find out if this is still the best fit for me.”

Atlanta seemed to be the front-runner in landing the Watson sweepstakes, but eventually lost out when he waived his no-trade clause to join Cleveland on March 18. Ryan was traded to Indianapolis three days later.

Ryan wasn’t the only quarterback caught in the whiplash of the Watson dealings. The Browns’ public breakup with Baker Mayfield has caused a steady back-and-forth between both parties. On April 22, Cleveland general manager Andrew Berry said they were “transparent” with the 2018 No. 1 pick of their intentions in pursuing Watson, though Mayfield has previously said they were not.

Watson still faces 22 active civil lawsuits that accuse the quarterback of sexual assault and sexual harassment during massage therapy sessions. The lawsuits describe accounts that range from Watson refusing to cover his genitals to “touching [a plaintiff] with his penis and trying to force her to perform oral sex on him.” Civil proceedings in the 22 active lawsuits are ongoing.

Watson previously faced 10 criminal complaints. According to Jenny Vrentas of The New York Times, the criminal complaints he previously faced involved similar descriptions, including Watson ejaculating on the massage therapists and either other forms of sexual assault or attempted sexual assault. On March 11, a Harris County grand jury declined to charge Watson on nine complaints, returning nine “no” bills. Nearly two weeks later, another grand jury in Brazoria County declined to charge Watson on a 10th count.

It was reported April 16 that Tony Buzbee, the lawyer representing the 22 plaintiffs, requested records from the Texans that include any nondisclosure agreements and correspondences between the quarterback and Houston’s security staff, coaches and the head trainer. It also asked for communication between the organization and two hotels where Watson reportedly met with massage therapists.

Rusty Hardin, Watson’s attorney, requested medical records from the plaintiffs Saturday to see whether they suffered emotional distress after their encounters with his client in massage sessions.

The NFL is still investigating whether Watson violated the league’s personal conduct policy, in which he could face suspension. The NFL and NFLPA reportedly agreed for former U.S. District Court Judge Sue Robinson to act as an impartial arbitrator to lead the investigation into disciplinary cases similar to Watson’s.

In his introductory press conference with Cleveland, Watson denied assaulting, harassing or disrespecting any woman. No trial dates have been set for any of the 22 active civil cases.

Now in the main role with Indianapolis, Ryan has no ill will toward Atlanta and is looking forward to his new opportunity with the Colts. He’ll have weapons like Pro Bowl running back Jonathan Taylor and wide receiver Michael Pittman Jr. to build up Indianapolis’s offense.

“I loved every minute of it; there’s no doubt about that,” he said. “I’m not bitter about how it ended, but from the football standpoint, I do feel a sense of energy, like a rejuvenation that comes with going into a new place. Really good football team, great teammates, a lot of talent. That part is really, really exciting.”

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Guys like Ryan and Jimmy G handled their situation w/class and dignity. Baker displayed his immaturity and sense of entitlement. I had to laugh when Baker mentioned Indy as a landing spot. No way was Indy going from one emotional midget in Wentz to another in Baker. They chose Ryan. He's mature. He is classy. He is professional. The bad thing about him is that he is old and isn't as good as he used to be, but at least he won't bring all the arrogance and immaturity to the locker room like a couple of other qbs.

O
Legend
Legend
O
rolleyes

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Guys like Ryan and Jimmy G handled their situation w/class and dignity. Baker displayed his immaturity and sense of entitlement. I had to laugh when Baker mentioned Indy as a landing spot. No way was Indy going from one emotional midget in Wentz to another in Baker. They chose Ryan. He's mature. He is classy. He is professional. The bad thing about him is that he is old and isn't as good as he used to be, but at least he won't bring all the arrogance and immaturity to the locker room like a couple of other qbs.

Yet you never mention that watson demanded a trade because he didn't get to help hand pick the Texans next head coach. How convenient. So is he immature too? So you don't call that arrogance? I see......

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
You continue to beat that drum and you have to know you are inaccurate.

There's more there but you keep spinning it.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Actually no. Watson demanded a trade right after the GM was hired and right before their HC was named and it's very public that he wasn't happy about it. Sure excuses were made afterwords but all anyone has to do is look at the timing of when he demanded that trade to see the real issue. The claim is he was promised input on naming the GM and HC but it wasn't honored. You know, kind of like being named the starter then the team going out looking to replace you.

People just keep trying to apply the double standard.

Deshaun Watson officially requests trade from Texans hours after team names head coach

It appears the Deshaun Watson era is over with the Houston Texans. The relationship has taken center stage this offseason and is fueled by Watson's angst toward owner Cal McNair and Jack Easterby, the tumult reaching fever pitch with the team reneged on promises to include him in helping to identify the team's next head coach -- with further gasoline having been poured on the fire by the hiring of Nick Caserio as general manager. What had not occurred yet, however, was a formal request (read: demand) by Watson to be traded, but the Texans have now reportedly received just that.

Watson has requested to be moved out of Houston, CBS Sports insider Jason La Canfora confirms, news that comes only hours after they named David Culley as the team's new head coach and work to build a new staff around him.

It appears the actual request isn't recent and has nothing to do with Culley, and Watson has continued to shun the Texans front office in their attempts to reach him to potentially open a dialogue into resolving things. That proves Watson is indeed looking to play hardball with the Texans, and to the point he's willing to waive his no-trade clause to make sure he never takes another snap for them in the future. Rumor has it Watson is already eyeing a handful of preferred destinations, with the New York Jets and Miami Dolphins topping his list. Both have the collateral to make a serious offer for Watson, and the Dolphins are currently also owners of several of the Texans 2021 draft picks by way of the Laremy Tunsil trade, but there would be a lot of moving pieces to any sort of trade deal getting done.

For one, Watson must not only approve of the destination -- thanks to the his no-trade clause -- but so must the Texans. And considering the two sides aren't in communication as of late, that will make it that much more difficult to get on the same page regarding what would ultimately be a blockbuster trade. The Texans must also approve of the compensation package, be it Sam Darnold and more or Tua Tagovailoa and more, or a list of other possible scenarios that could also involve teams not mentioned here.

It's feels like a foregone conclusion they would not simply going to give Watson away from peanuts like they did to all-world wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins during the Bill O'Brien era, a move that could be viewed as the genesis of Watson's frustration in Houston, and it's also unclear if they'd prefer to move Watson to the NFC and out of their conference altogether. Furthermore, there's no guarantee they trade him at all -- Caserio recently proclaiming Watson as "our quarterback" -- which could set off a series of seismic football events that potentially include a holdout of some sort. Watson wants to play in 2021 though, but not for the Texans, and he indirectly made it clear via Twitter in late December that the differences are irreconcilable.

"Big Bro told me when they painted you a picture, don't let them paint you another picture."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...exans-hours-after-team-names-head-coach/

But please do go on. I'm sure that you won't be alone trying to crucify one while justifying the other for pretty much the exact same behavior. You are already the second in line.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
As usual, he is telling stories. He and 888 spin lie after lie after lie. I have provided proof that Watson did not quit on the Texans because he couldn't choose the HC.

P
Legend
Legend
P
You provided the version you want people to believe. I provided another version and the timing of his demand for a trade lines directly up with the version I posted. I guess those reports must have been lies too? As Tome Petty said, "You believe what you want to believe!". But the timeline for his demand of a trade doesn't line up with your version. But keep spinning it.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Deal for Baker getting close?

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c...

That could be good news.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Yep, I hope Baker gets out of the circus in Cleveland. One sideshow QB is more than enough.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 06/15/22 04:30 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
j/c...

Hoping it happens soon, one less distraction, albeit minor, is welcome.

M
Legend
Legend
M
As usual, he is telling stories. He and 888 spin lie after lie after lie. I have provided proof that Watson did not quit on the Texans because he couldn't choose the HC.

What a croc.

If supplying an article is what you consider "Proof" - then Pit supplied "Proof" also and you are simply ignoring his "Proof" and name calling. You spam the boards calling others "Liar" and "Evil" - you cry victim when your BS is called out.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
D
Legend
Legend
D
So you guys are okay with winning 7-8 games with Brissett under Center, instead of maybe 10-11 with a healthy Baker Mayfield? All it would take is for Stefanski and Mayfield to pretend they were real adult human beings, with goals that dovetailed. Too much to ask? Maybe, but I don't think so.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Dave, I know you like Baker a lot and you are not like the other guys who attack those who do not agree w/them......so, I want to be careful here. You are a good guy and you and I have disagreed on Baker in the past and we are always respectful. I just don't know if it is fair to project win totals for the team w/the two different QBs. We had a losing record last year despite winning 2 of the 3 games in which he did not play. Also, we lost the other game on a long FG in OT. I think the injury thing has been overstated in regards to how much it affected Baker's play. Again, there is evidence out there to suggest that Baker's issues are due to other factors. I also think Baker burned too many bridges. He crossed some lines that are not crossed.

I could be wrong and you could be correct. Again, I think you are a good guy and don't want to upset you. We just see Baker differently.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Don't worry about me, I'm not porcelain. We differ about how much Mayfield's injury affected his performance. I think you understate it. We heard Troy Aikman say during the GB Christmas game that Baker simply COULD NOT open up and throw effectively to his left. You were an athlete, you should know how hard is is to throw accurately or well with a fubar lead shoulder.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c...

Damage Control...LOL!

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

I hope it all gets resolved soon. Panthers are a Poop Sandwich ... bottom 2 or 3 teams in the NFL. Be interesting to see.

Wonder if the Browns will have to send a trade pick in order for Panthers to pick up some salary ???? Wouldn't some posters LOVE that ! LOL

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
I read where Gino Smith looks better than Drew Lock and is beating him out.
If so that puts them under a bad sign.

The Giants will fall apart with Daniel Jones and Mara is out of patience.

Tua is no lock with the Fins. They put tools around him. They wanted DW. It could go bad fast there.

Carolina is looking hard and they are not in a good place with Darnold and Corral. IMO we could pay half his note get a third or take Anderson.

The Bucs are in trouble if Brady goes down. Not hard to imagine Brady getting hurt.

Berry will not panic and rightfully so. All the garbage about nobody wants Baker is BS. It was all about timing. Baker is good enough to help a bunch of teams. If the Browns cut him. He would have a job before the sun set.

1 member likes this: Dave
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
All the garbage about nobody wants Baker is BS.

I don't think it is either garbage or BS. Houston has who at QB? They didn't accept Baker as part of the trade. Indy chose an old Matt Ryan over Baker. ATL went w/Mariotta over Baker. The Saints chose to re-sign Winston instead of trading for Baker. Seattle, NY, and Carolina have not pulled the trigger.

Btw----I did not insult anyone w/my response, but I don't care for it when people call my opinions "garbage" and "BS."

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Since this is a What to do about Baker thread, if I am the Browns, I would not trade Baker if they have to give up a pick. I would not trade him if they had to pay a significant portion of his contract. I would hold on to him and let him sit at home until a team gets desperate enough to give up something of value for him. If no one is willing, let him miss a year and then hope for a compensatory pick. No way would I reward Baker for how poorly he has handled this entire situation.

Legend
Legend
well, you're not rewarding him or punishing him in either case.... he's still getting his $18.858 million and then gets to enter free agency in March where he WILL get a fat deal, even if it is a shorter "show me" deal at first. It's Win-Win for him and no matter what, he gets to pick where he is going.
What the team does ONLY benefits or hurts the team.

Beyond that, yes... the team's smart move is absolutely to hold onto him until they can get something of value. They don't have to rush or panic; we have the cap space to carry him on the 53, and we can stand to lose a random UDFA for that roster spot.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Only difference with Baker is I believe the Browns FO told Baker that he was the starter but they would explore options if a top 5 QB was available...

I would have zero issue with Baker demanding a trade after we landed Watson... I'm a little surprised he demanded one before because he got hurt that the Browns were trying to upgrade... but, it's his business... if at that point he felt he couldn't trust the team and was unwilling to try and rebuild that trust, then good luck to him...

and yes, similar could be said with Watson... he could have stayed and tried to rebuild that trust with the new group... but at the time, and now, I understood why he wanted out... and with his star power he had the ability to force a trade... there may have been other Texans on the team that wanted out but didn't have the star power to force themselves out... I don't recall hearing anyone specifically that also wanted out... but plenty of guys were frustrated with the Hopkins trade... and plenty were pissed overall with the FO from the inmate comment to Easterby and the Casrio hire...

<><

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum What to do with Baker

Link Copied to Clipboard