Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

NFLPA’s defense of Deshaun Watson will take aim at NFL’s treatment of multiple owners

Eventually and inevitably, the NFL will take action in the Deshaun Watson case. If that action includes an unpaid suspension imposed under the Personal Conduct Policy, the NFL Players Association will mobilize with an aggressive defense on Watson’s behalf.

Per a source with knowledge of the intended strategy, the NFLPA currently is bracing for a recommendation by the league of “unprecedented” punishment of Watson. Whatever the specific penalty, the union will mobilize to defend Watson, as it is required to do by the federal duty of fair representation.

The source explains that the NFLPA would defend Watson in part by making an aggressive argument premised on the consequences, or lack thereof, imposed on a trio of owners who recently have found themselves embroiled in off-field controversy. The argument will be that the punishment of Watson is not proportional to the punishment of those owners, especially in light of this key line from the Personal Conduct Policy: “Ownership and club or league management have traditionally been held to a higher standard and will be subject to more significant discipline when violations of the Personal Conduct Policy occur.”

According to the source, the union’s defense of Deshaun Watson will take specific aim at the league’s handling of Commanders owner Daniel Snyder, Patriots owner Robert Kraft, and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones.

As to Snyder, the union will argue that his punishment in light of the findings and potential recommendations of attorney Beth Wilkinson was weak and not fully enforced. As to Kraft, the union will argue that Kraft received no punishment despite allegedly receiving a massage became a sexual encounter. (Although Kraft was charged with solicitation, the case was dismissed based on the fact that the video surveillance utilized by law enforcement violated the rights of the various persons who were secretly recorded.) As to Jones, the union will argue that the league failed to investigate the voyeurism scandal involving former Cowboys P.R. chief Rich Dalrymple, including but not limited to the key questions of what Jones knew, when he knew it, and whether he knew that Dalrymple was secretly recording multiple cheerleaders while they changed their clothes.

The union believes that these arguments will be more likely to find traction than in the past, given the adoption in 2020 of a new, independent process for assessing potential Personal Conduct Policy violations committed by players. With Commissioner Roger Goodell or his designee no longer presiding over the effort to evaluate the evidence and reach a decision, the Disciplinary Officer ( retired federal judge Sue L. Robinson) could decide to allow the union to fully explore the manner in which the league handled Snyder, Kraft, and Jones.

The union, for example, could get access to evidence from Wilkinson’s investigation, the league’s handling of the information, and the key question of what Wilkinson would have recommended, if the league had bothered to ask her for a recommendation. (As previously reported, she would have recommended that Snyder be forced to sell.) The union also could get access to internal communications regarding whether Kraft should be disciplined, and whether Jones and the Cowboys should be investigated.

This approach would be separate from defending Watson against any claim of wrongdoing. It would be based on whether, even if he violated the policy with a habit of arranging private massages and trying to make those massages become sexual encounters, any punishment of Watson must be justified by the punishment imposed on Snyder, the non-punishment imposed on Kraft, and the lack of even an investigation of Jones.

Whether and to what extent this defense will hold any real water — and will gather any real evidence — will depend on Judge Robinson, who was jointly hired by the league and the union. But if the league means what it says when it says that owners are held to a higher standard and will be subject to more significant discipline for violations of the Personal Conduct Policy, the manner in which Snyder, Kraft, and Jones were handled by the league becomes directly relevant to the manner in which Watson is handled, too.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...im-at-nfls-treatment-of-multiple-owners/

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
I don't see many females posting all day about the guy.

You must have different definition of "all day" than most of us do.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Not if there are any females on the jury.

Not just them. Read the board. I don't see many females posting all day about the guy.

Absolutely he can. Most, if not all, of the people that would get called won't be Browns fans that are ingesting this story day in and day out.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by LexDawg
[quote=GMdawg]
How many women did he ejaculate on Pit? How many women did he expose himself to? Why would any woman in her right mind keep massaging him while he was exposing himself? Why would they keep massaging him while he played with himself? Why wouldn't they leave?

Some of the women have mentioned being a single parent and being afraid he would impact their livelihood because they did not do as he wanted. There is a term for it that escapes me right now, but it has to do with coercing someone into sex due to being in a position of power over them. This was one of my concerns as Watson maintains his innocence, he could possibly have no clue how his behaviors impacted these women.

And some of the stories include leaving at the moment the incidents happened. But sometimes things get ignored because people do not wish to see things as they are. It makes them feel better about their decisions.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Now all the union has to do is show when it comes to the owners that it was not consensual. That there were multiple cases over a long period of time. That's where they'll fall short. Does it make the incidents with the owners right? No, it doesn't. But trying to make a comparison isn't going to fly. I'm not sure what part of consensual people are missing.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Dave
Not if there are any females on the jury.

Not just them. Read the board. I don't see many females posting all day about the guy.

Other than Eve and Sk8termom, I'm not aware of any current female posters. (There may be some that I didn't know were females.) The board used to have a small but vocal group of females, but since Watson I haven't seen them. I'd be interested to hear from Jules, or especially Dawg Michelle, who I believe is a massage therapist. Others like Iambrown, Dawgylama, Nursedawg, Couchgirl, ONB, and a few more, all dropped out a while ago. I wish they were still here, I liked reading them.

I know. I have met every one of them several times....not sure of ONB...not even sure who you are mentioning...none of them have posted much in years. Jules several times a year she shows up a few times a year. I saw Michelle post maybe a year or two ago. The others, maybe not much since the board switched over.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Frenchy
So the cop Baker said a woman just gave Watson a bj, because he was DW. She said he didn’t ask for it, didn’t ask for anything, he just took it. Very long read, but that is at the bottom.

https://sports.yahoo.com/tense-depo...cence-coercion-vs-consent-010619990.html

It's this exact reason why I have the remaining skepticism that I do related to the Watson saga. Presenting a much larger portion of the deposition of that investigator paints a MUCH different picture than what the earlier Buzbee leaks do.

If I'm convinced of anything, it's that Buzbee is a master in working the court of public opinion, and Hardin doesn't hold a candle to him there.

add: I just finished reading the part about the investigator's take on coercion and consent. I cannot wrap my brain around someone articulating that a women can't legally give Watson sexual consent because of who he is... and that person having such an influential position in the legal proceedings (both as an investigator and as an influential witness in pending civil cases). She said women can't give consent to someone who is famous and a big strong dude, and that during the investigation, the burden of proof is on Watson to prove his innocence.

Last edited by oobernoober; 06/16/22 12:52 PM.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
V
Legend
Legend
V
Glad Watson's defense is implementing this as one of their strategies to their arsenal. The NFL has a long and poor history when they have played judge, jury, and sometimes executioner. This needs to be highlighted and used as a weapon by Watson's defense team. In fact, I have been calling for that in multiple threads. Although, I did leave out Jones and put some others in there. I would not limit it to just the owners, though. The NFL clearly screwed Ezekiel Elliot. The NFL's sorry history of how they treat the rich, white owners vs the black paid help is terrible and needs to be exposed.

P
Legend
Legend
P
consensual

relating to or involving consent or consensus.

"consensual sexual activity"

#gmstrong
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Glad Watson's defense is implementing this as one of their strategies to their arsenal. The NFL has a long and poor history when they have played judge, jury, and sometimes executioner. This needs to be highlighted and used as a weapon by Watson's defense team. In fact, I have been calling for that in multiple threads. Although, I did leave out Jones and put some others in there. I would not limit it to just the owners, though. The NFL clearly screwed Ezekiel Elliot. The NFL's sorry history of how they treat the rich, white owners vs the black paid help is terrible and needs to be exposed.

While agree with you about the overall perspective that rich people (read white NFL owners) is treated differently then people with less power and wealth I don’t think it’s purely based on what color you have on your skin. I can see Michael Jordan and several other rich and famous celebrities who’s not white having similar protection as Kraft and Jones. Money and having influential powerful friends is always a good insurance against stupid mistakes.

Having a half hearted union as NFLPA, Cleveland Browns and their supporters as your allies isn’t enough protection when Roger Goodell represent all owners and has to defend whatever decision he makes to the national media. Most members of the NFLPA is also in many way financially depending on these NFL owners so there is a limitation how much they are willing to fight. Remember that 26 female witnesses telling the same thing is a high mountain to climb even for a union.

Regarding Deshaun Watson I just hope he starts to understand what “consensual sexual activities” means. Just because he pays a women for a “service” doesn’t mean he can do whatever he want. This is what these civil law cases is all about and if he don’t have any intentions to make a economical settlement with all the plaintiffs then it will probably cost him (and the Browns) several years of wasted time.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah watson is poor not rich. I mean if you consider a quarter of a billion dollars as being poor. I mean that makes you "the paid help" like maids from the late 1800's though, right? Standing up for women now seems to be a tool to use in claiming the NFL is anti black.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
The tape was destroyed. How do you know what happened?

Part of the original charge was sex trafficking.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/10/the-disturbing-saga-of-robert-kraft

Legend
Legend
just my opinion, but the NFLPA argument is sound when you think about how they're going about this.

the NFL isn't a government entity, so the union have huge credibility to bring up the lack of punishment against the owners as it relates to the players, which speaks toward the wild inconsistency in which they handle punishments within the league.

we have to remember that Zeke got 6 games, even though the NFL investigator lied and was fired, and other investigators didn't deem the accusations credible. so Zeke got 6 games for nothing.

so that isn't a defense of DW's behavior, but from the union's perspective, you have 2 grand juries who didn't even bother to indict, and a bunch of lawsuits that will lead to no criminal charges regardless of outcome. so if the owners won't be held responsible for reprehensible behavior, then the NFL has no business holding some imaginary standard on the players that are paid by said owners.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
Legend
Legend
You are absolutely correct, but that won't stop it from happening. The NFLPA will put up a fight, and the league - Goodell - will have a prepared excuse as to why this is different.

It comes down to the fact that Goodell works for the league owners, so Goodell will do what the collective owners tell him to do, and they aren't going to eat their own unless they're ready to destroy their own or run them out. The players are the employees, and the ownership and employees always play to a different set of rules... and, literally, this is the difference here. The CBA. Under the CBA, the league can and should suspend and punish for personal conduct. There is no such agreement between the league and the owners, or none that I know of... thus, ANY action against the owners is PURELY discretionary.

Browns is the Browns

2 members like this: Swish, FATE
Legend
Legend
Except that this is now in the court of public opinion.

In the end when it comes to the NFL that is what this is about - the NFL Brand.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Agreed, and I have been saying that for awhile. I have even taken it a step further. If the NFL wants to come down hard on Watson, his defense team should launch a full-go onslaught against them. I'm talking about another major lawsuit levied against the NFL and their inconsistent and unfair decisions in regards to players [especially black players] and the white owners. I'd be bringing in all the info from the Flores lawsuit, the Snyder case, the Zeke case, etc, etc.

While the NFL can render their own decisions right now as we have been reminded about many times, that doesn't mean it's right that they get to play judge and jury and unfair labor practices could be a real issue here.

2 members like this: jfanent, Swish
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by bonefish

This and a lot of the owners are pissed about the contract. I could see them handing down a brutal suspension just to teach Jimmy a lesson. Between this whole thing making the NFL look bad, Jimmy handing out that contract, and the fact that the Browns get treated like the league's unwanted relative at the cookout... It could be damn near anything coming. Fair or not. I expect paid leave until the cases are resolved. The NFLPA can argue that all day, but the league will site protecting the brand, and DW will be getting paid. The browns will get punished by that, so the owners will back it. It's all speculation until it happens, but they are under pressure to do something. Then when it's all resolved, the suspension will happen, and probably a fine. Also, because of the number of women, if DW starts losing these cases, I think they'll make an example out of him to silence the anti-women vibes of this case and the past cases that they were too light on. But he may not get anything at all... rolleyes

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 06/16/22 09:13 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
L
All Pro
All Pro
L

This and a lot of the owners are pissed about the contract. I could see them handing down a brutal suspension just to teach Jimmy a lesson. Between this whole thing making the NFL look bad, Jimmy handing out that contract, and the fact that the Browns get treated like the league's unwanted relative at the cookout... It could be damn near anything coming. Fair or not. I expect paid leave until the cases are resolved. The NFLPA can argue that all day, but the league will site protecting the brand, and DW will be getting paid. The browns will get punished by that, so the owners will back it. It's all speculation until it happens, but they are under pressure to do something. Then when it's all resolved, the suspension will happen, and probably a fine. Also, because of the number of women, if DW starts losing these cases, I think they'll make an example out of him to silence the anti-women vibes of this case and the past cases that they were too light on. But he may not get anything at all... rolleyes

Agreed, as much as their is Watson backlash for the situation the Browns tossed fuel on the fire and will be paying for it too.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Let's be real just for a minute. The owner who is really upset is Baltimore's owner because he was in the process of having to negotiate Lamar's new contract and now everyone who knows the situation is talking about how Baltimore is going to have to pay Lamar more than we did Watson or risk him sitting out. That is actually a good thing. Not a bad thing for the Browns.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Owners can be upset all they want but someone was going to get the first fully guaranteed contract sooner or later. I think it was inevitable. And it was inevitable to be a QB. Next will likely be some EDGE if I had to guess.

O
Legend
Legend
O
You and FrankZ could be 100% right about the owners, but all I know is the talking heads made a very big deal out of it like it was egg on the Brown's face. All I'm saying is be prepared for anything, we're the Browns.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
You and FrankZ could be 100% right about the owners, but all I know is the talking heads made a very big deal out of it like it was egg on the Brown's face. All I'm saying is be prepared for anything, we're the Browns.

Report: Browns Owners Unpopular at League Meetings MAR 29, 2022

Cleveland Browns owners Jimmy and Dee Haslam recently attended the NFL owner’s meetings last Sunday. The meetings actually interfered with their biggest acquisition, maybe ever. That exact transaction was a reason that other owners were not fond of the Cleveland owners at the meeting.

Peter King described Jimmy and Dee Haslam as “not the most popular people at the league meetings on Sunday” in King’s most recent Football Morning in America piece. King said he heard “lots of grumbling” from people around the league.

Browns gave Deshaun Watson a fully guaranteed contract over the length of five years. The contract was worth a total of $230 million dollars. With Cleveland signing Watson to such deal, other quarterbacks in the league will want something similar.

Essentially the deal reset the market in a way, with how deals actually work. Players will now want a fully guaranteed contract just like Watson got. It is going to the the new standard likely.

This means there will be less money going into the owners pockets. Owners can’t cut players and owe them no money anymore. Players will have contracts that are fully guaranteed across, when it gets to that point.

At the end of the day the Haslams were willing to risk that with the acquisition of Watson. The team believes this is the best path for them to get to where they want to go. Andrew Berry has said they believe you must have top-10 quarterback play. Cleveland believes they have that.

Last edited by LexDawg; 06/17/22 12:31 PM.
Legend
Legend
Yeah, but it's not just him; he's just the first big one coming up. Haslam reset the bar for ALL QB DEALS going forward with this.... and, like Frank pointed out, this will soon cascade to other premier position groups like Edge and Cornerback. It's the whole "the Genie is out of the bottle" aspect, not the myopic short-term view.

Browns is the Browns

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FrankZ
Owners can be upset all they want but someone was going to get the first fully guaranteed contract sooner or later. I think it was inevitable. And it was inevitable to be a QB. Next will likely be some EDGE if I had to guess.

I get what you are saying - and maybe you are right. Maybe this was inevitable.

But - just like the flack the Browns are facing over Watson ... it does no good to say "Someone was going to get him" - or "Someone was going to pay a guaranteed contract" .... In both cases it was the Browns. The Browns will bear the brunt of the scrutiny - not the other's that 'nearly' signed him, not the next team to offer a fully guaranteed contract .... those arguments to me seem more about deflection than dealing with what the Browns chose to do and the scrutiny they are now receiving.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
And I firmly believe it was inevitable.

Owners can be mad, but someone was going to be the first. We'll see how bad it is for them the next time the CBA is renegotiated.

L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
Yeah, but it's not just him; he's just the first big one coming up. Haslam reset the bar for ALL QB DEALS going forward with this.... and, like Frank pointed out, this will soon cascade to other premier position groups like Edge and Cornerback. It's the whole "the Genie is out of the bottle" aspect, not the myopic short-term view.

It's not Watson at all, it is purely on the shoulders of the Browns to be the ones to push this envelope.

The fact that they did it with a guy that had 22 unresolved lawsuits for SA and it's an unknown when he will see the game field is just the cherry on the turd sundae.

Last edited by LexDawg; 06/17/22 12:43 PM.
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

There is a narrative going around that the other 31 NFL owners are mad at the Browns for giving Watson the contract they did, and in turn, that’s the reason a team hasn’t traded for Mayfield. According to Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com, that narrative simply isn’t true and is “off base.”

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2022/05/08/deshaun-watson-contract/

Now, let's see who is really upset w/the Browns and why.

RAVENS OWNER BLASTS BROWNS FOR DESHAUN WATSON CONTRACT

by ANTHONY FARRIS
3 months ago
6Comments
Videos by OutKick
There’s no love lost between AFC North rivals Baltimore and Cleveland. And that feeling apparently extends beyond the field and up to the luxury suites. On Tuesday, Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti blasted divisional foe Cleveland for handing Deshaun Watson a “groundbreaking” contract.

Watson, of course, received the most fully guaranteed money in NFL history – $230 million – from the Browns in a trade.

“It’s like, ‘Damn, I wish they hadn’t guaranteed the whole contract.’ I don’t know that he should’ve been the first guy to get a fully guaranteed contract,” Bisciotti said Tuesday while speaking at the NFL’s annual league meetings.

Jeez, Steve. Don’t hold back, tell us how you really feel.

Bisciotti’s comments are likely tied to the fact that his franchise QB, Lamar Jackson, a former league MVP, is slated to play the 2022 season on an expiring contract. Baltimore would undoubtedly love to extend Jackson’s deal for the foreseeable future, but his price tag has now gone up since Cleveland decided to give Watson a vault full of money.

“To me, (Watson’s contract is) something that is groundbreaking, and it’ll make negotiations harder with others,” said Bisciotti, no doubt alluding to Jackson.

The Baltimore owner must not be paying very close attention to the NFL’s current financials. League contracts, especially for quarterbacks, have reached a “next man up” level. Any starting quarterback with a pulse and some promise, who’s nearing the end of his contract, generally scores the latest and greatest deal. Unfortunately for the Ravens, Jackson’s next in line.

“But (Watson’s deal) doesn’t necessarily mean that we have to play that game, you know? We shall see,” Bisciotti added.

Cleveland and Baltimore play one another twice a year, and based on all these contract talks, those games should be rich.

https://www.outkick.com/ravens-owner-blasts-browns-for-deshaun-watson-contract/

Folks can look at all of this how they want, but personally, I am happy that the Rats owner is mad and it's hurting his negotiations w/Lamar.

Btw----I have not personally seen quotes from other owners saying they are mad at the Browns and want to make things difficult for them. I may have missed it.

M
Legend
Legend
M
So are you suggesting the Ravens are the only team now or in the future that will have a QB or other Star on their team that will demand a fully guaranteed contract? And if so, then that's why the rest of the NFL doesn't care - it's only the Ravens? And that's a good thing?

You probably aren't saying that ... and because that's not what you are saying the idea the other teams int he NFL aren't pissed at the Haslam's doesn't seem to hold water. Any team with a franchise / difference maker is going to face this same issue at some point.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

NFL teams have no right to be mad at the Browns regarding Deshaun Watson's contract

Steven Kubitza

The Cleveland Browns made a controversial decision to not only trade for Deshaun Watson, but to also immediately sign him to a fully-guaranteed $230 million deal. It is no secret that the 22 pending civil lawsuits against him now hang over the franchise as well.

This stirred up plenty of controversy among fans over the decision to add someone like Watson, given the allegations against him. It also created controversy among NFL owners, but for very different reasons.

00:01
02:00
Baltimore Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti had a quote, shared by ESPN's Jamison Hensley, that summed up how the owners are feeling.

"I don't know that he should've been the first guy to get a fully guaranteed contract. To me, that's something that is groundbreaking, and it'll make negotiations harder with others."
Jamison Hensley
Jamison Hensley
@jamisonhensley

Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti on Deshaun Watson's $230 million guaranteed contract: "I don't know that he should've been the first guy to get a fully guaranteed contract. To me, that's something that is groundbreaking, and it'll make negotiations harder with others."
Bisciotti is blatantly saying that this Watson deal is going to make negotiations harder with others. The quarterback was given a record amount of guaranteed money. This has changed the way top stars will view appropriate deals. But are the Browns in the wrong here?

NFL owners have no logical right to get mad at the Browns over Deshaun Watson

The NFL owners have always given off the sense of being a tight-knit group. Yet it's not like large contracts are rare. Just a few years ago, Patrick Mahomes was given a decade-long deal worth nearly half-a-billion dollars. Sure, it was not fully guaranteed, but it set a new standard.

Just recently, Aaron Rodgers got $150 million guaranteed from the Green Bay Packers and set the market at $50 million annually. Were other owners mad at these two teams?

The beauty of the NFL for the owners is the salary cap. So there eventually becomes a cap to how high they can go, at least, on a yearly basis. Yet as the cap rises, so do the salaries.

The cap also means each team can act however it wants. If the Browns want to fully guarantee a deal, they have the right to do that.

For example, let's say Lamar Jackson wants the exact same deal as Watson got in Cleveland but Baltimore will not give it to him. If another team will do such a thing, then that is just the nature of the business. The only way to stop this process is for every single owner to refuse to offer such a deal.

This is just the way professional sports work. If one team doesn't want to pay a star, there is usually another out there ready to do just that. The salary cap, at least, ensures a system where one team can't spend significantly more than others to buy up all the stars.

So even if the quarterback market rises, it is an even playing field for every single NFL owner out there. Blaming the Browns here is just recency bias after years and years of innovation when it comes to contracts.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/nfl...browns-regarding-deshaun-watson-contract

Legend
Legend
j/c...

I'm not sure how big the impact of Haslam's deal will be, it's easy to see that it can't possibly be a positive though. Anyone else notice our only trades in the first five rounds were with Houston and Minny? Not a real indicator, but I bet there were a few teams simply not answering the phone, or answering to laugh in our face. Bottom line, all that cash has to go in an escrow account, and there a more than a few owners who are way too cash poor to even entertain the idea. That "un-levels" the playing field... and rich men don't like that.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: mgh888
P
Legend
Legend
P
The tape was destroyed. How do you know what happened?

Part of the original charge was sex trafficking.

Let me ask you two questions. Now in the first place don't think what I'm asking you means that I think it's right. I don't. But the facts don't always line up with what's right.

Here is a fact people seem to be avoiding....

The NFL owners have no conduct policy nor are they under a contractual obligation to answer to a conduct policy. The players on the other do and are.

So the players union can say anything they like. They can claim, and it is a double standard. The problem comes when you get to the legal issue here.

They voted, signed and voluntarily agreed to a contract that holds them responsible for their conduct. It is a part of the collective agreement contract.

The owners did not.

So first are the players obligated to the standards they agreed to in their contracts? Are the owners to be held to a standard that they did not contractually agree to and sign? As much as it's a terrible fact, it is a fact none the less.

#gmstrong
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
I saw some info and decided I wanted to verify by checking out the Draft Report on Watson.

Some of his Strengths:
Big, strong hands to pump fake and manipulate
Keeps ball tucked near his chest when scanning
Has traits to operate out of boot-action attack

Seriously though, here is the full version:
Overview
Teams will have to weigh the inconsistent field vision and decision-making against his size, athleticism, leadership and production. While not perfect, teams can add checks to both arm and accuracy boxes for Watson. However, discussions about whether or not his areas of improvement can be corrected will likely determine whether a team will view him as a high-upside prospect or a franchise quarterback. Watson's transition from Clemson's offense to a pro-style attack will obviously take time, but his combination of intangibles and athletic ability make him worth a first-round selection.

Strengths
Tremendous leader and winner
Good pocket posture with quiet upper body
Good pocket mobility and doesn't show much panic when pocket gets noisy
Sacked just 32 times over his last 1,181 drop-backs
Willing to stand in and deliver the ball against rib-wreckers on a clear path for him
Has history of clutch play in big games and big moments
Averaged 472 yards of total offense with eight total touchdowns and one interception in his two championship appearances against Alabama
Throws with anticipation and touch
Fires hips through throws for improved drive velocity into tight windows
Arm strength currently limited by mechanical issues that are correctable
Big, strong hands to pump fake and manipulate
Keeps ball tucked near his chest when scanning
Has compact, over-the-top release that uncorks a tight, pretty spiral
Throws with adequate accuracy on the move
Has traits to operate out of boot-action attack
Tremendous athlete who has ability to pick up chunks of yardage on ground
Has called running plays could ignite a stagnant offense
Has instant juice out of pocket to make defense pay if rush lanes are vacated
Does a good job of sliding or eluding square collisions in space as a runner
Dual-threat weapon near end zone who will create additional preparation time for coaching staffs looking to limit his effectiveness in the red area
Every meaningful passing stat improved in close-and-late situations in 2016.

Weaknesses
Frame is a little more slender than teams typically like
Accuracy runs hot and cold
Tends to over-stride on drive throws, causing release point to drop and balls to sail
Ball placement on crossing routes and slants needs to improve
Will leave throws behind intended targets
Deep-ball accuracy has been scatter-shot over his last two seasons at Clemson, with throws sailing well beyond his target
Design of offense limited his need to make full-field reads
Has to become adept at working through progressions and playing chess against safeties
Needs to let routes develop rather than rushing anticipatory throws
Too many interceptions due to lack of vision, placement or decision-making
Threw interception vs
Troy against bracketed coverage he didn't see
Baited into bad-decision interceptions twice by Florida State cornerbacks
Has issues improvising away from initial, pre-snap plan even when pathway to target becomes muddy
Shotgun quarterback who, like Jared Goff, could take time getting used to huddling, pace of play-calling and drop-backs from under center

Prospect Info

O
Legend
Legend
O
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...subject-to-nfls-personal-conduct-policy/

add: I should highlight that this article was from back when Kraft was in the news with the happy ending massages. IIRC, the latest CBA was signed after this. I'd be surprised if they struck something like this out of the latest agreement, but I supposed that's a possibility.

Last edited by oobernoober; 06/17/22 02:12 PM.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
L
All Pro
All Pro
L

Good read, thanks alot!

O
Legend
Legend
O
I edited that post to make sure you notice the date on that article.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
Thanks for the info.

#gmstrong
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D

Per a source in Watson's defense team, the NFL will push for a full season suspension, with additional suspension possible pending any new information.

Legend
Legend
"Everyone"

Again none of it is good.

So, in the language Kraft or Jerry Jones is no different than DW.

"Personal Conduct Policy"

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
JMO, but I fail to see the equivalence between what Robert Kraft did, and the charges alleged by Watson's 26 (and counting) accusers. The issue is consent.

1 member likes this: OldColdDawg
Legend
Legend
When you have cases like this getting to the truth is difficult.

This is an article:

I don't know what Kraft did? The tape was destroyed. However, sex trafficking is about as low as it can go.

It is slavery.

Proof. That went away.

There is no proof or evidence. There was proof in the Kraft case. Ridley got caught. There was proof.

Josh Gordon there was proof. He failed the drug test.

So without proof the NFL can suspend and deny DW his right to work. The NFL "personal conduct policy" applies to everyone employed in the NFL owners included.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Deshaun Watson Legal Issues

Link Copied to Clipboard