Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Originally Posted by jaybird
I think Watson gets suspended for a year... appeals... and it gets knocked down to 8-10 games... he has a couple games to get back into it before returning to Houston...

My guess was 8-10 games, as I understand it costs the Browns a contract year as well.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I’m still saying we could be rolling with Baker in 2022.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
It's the unions job to protect the individual. That said, it's also their job to protect the member's image for which they represent. When you have peers openly question the high number of women involved (66 by last count by the NYTimes), it makes the NFL Players group as a whole look bad. Though I expect and believe that the NFLPA will "vigorously" defend Watson, I would be surprised if it went to the level of trying to compare it to other previous cases. To do that is to downplay the sheer number of civil claims which if they go south would be a very bad image for the union.

Though some may question an "unprecedented suspension" as to what is important when in reality, 24 civil suits and counting has entered an area of "unprecedented" that the league has ever seen. Does the NFL or the NFLPA really want to set the precedent that 24 plus civil claims is no more serious than single instance that had no criminal charges or civil suits?

The continued drip, drip, drip of more civil suits and still the possibility of criminal charges puts the NFL and the NFLPA in a situation neither wants to be in. Playing this wrong by either side will be a media nightmare the NFL and NFLPA has never seen before.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
2 members like this: IrishDawg42, Floquinho
All Pro
All Pro
Spot on steve0255!

The moment when the media and the public opinion started to get involved in the length of the suspension was when the Browns rewarded Watson with a $230m contract, before then any punishment was mostly a internal question for the NFL.

It’s probably the case that the Browns made their own bed by structuring the contract the way they did with guaranteed money and only $1m in salary the first season. On top of that dynamite you have the comment from Watson’s lawyer that sexual activities after a massage session isn’t illegal and Watson’s square press conference where he sounded more or less unfazed of the severity of the allegations and why the media and the public opinion is upset. All this together make it difficult for the NFLPA to fairly argue why he shouldn’t have a lengthy suspension.

The numbers 26, 66 and 230 will probably be the decisive factors.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Originally Posted by FrankZ
Some guys defend DW so methodically hard that you have to ask yourself if maybe they had many massage therapists too. Hmm?

Like FrankZ said, "we aren't allowed to speculate?" (the way it read, not verbatim) Well, I say yes, speculate away! Why is one poster taking all others to task in defense of a guy now accused of sexual misconduct in 26 different cases? What part of off-field Watson motivates this poster to stand so hard against so many? Speculate away.

This is how your hate and lies affect me, and I'm compelled to call them out. Of course, you will call me names and have a fit, but you won't answer honestly in public; exactly why is defending DW this important to you?

Ummm, no. I never told anyone they could not speculate. I speak for my view. I do think Watson should not be punished until it is proven he actually did things that were wrong, sorry but I would expect that for anyone. People's lives get ruined over accusations that turn out to be false. Personally I will wait for this to play out before I start calling Watson a "predator" or anything else.

I have no issue with paid leave. But he shouldn't see the field until this is resolved. That would be rewarding him while he is under the self-inflicted cloud. NOPE. But he shouldn't have his livelihood taken until we know what's what. And every day it gets harder and harder to believe he is innocent.

Thats goofy. If you are good enough to be paid, you are good enough to work. Why should a business be penalized by having to pay a person while they sit at home trying to sort out some infraction they may have committed? I don't care if it is a football player or Joe the pipefitter down at the plant. I can see maybe a few days, but anything over a week is bogus. I can see if a business elects to do so.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Just another thought.

If Watson wasn't on our team, the attitudes would be different. It would almost be to the point of not caring.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: jfanent
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Deshaun Watson's Camp Reportedly Bracing for One Year Suspension

SEAN PENDERGAST JUNE 20, 2022 4:00AM
link

After what's felt like an interminable 15 months of legal tussles, social media fireworks, and various strategic steps and missteps from attorneys and Deshaun Watson himself, we are getting indicators that this Watson's legal saga, from an NFL punishment perspective, may be reaching a conclusion.

According to Mark Maske of the Washington Post, the NFL, upon conclusion of its investigation, is going to argue that Watson receive a "significant" suspension for the lewd acts that he is accused of by 24 civil lawsuit plaintiffs in what was supposed to be a professional massage setting. In fact, one source from Watson's side said they are expecting the NFL to recommend a full season suspension.

Make no mistake, this determination by the league, if it does turn into a full season suspension for 2022, puts this trade firmly into "disaster" territory for the Browns, and makes Nick Caserio's entire process in moving Watson one of the most shining examples of patience and shrewdness in NFL GM history. More on this a minute.

For those who don't know how punishment is doled out in the NFL, there is a fairly new process that was agreed to between players and owners in the latest collective bargaining agreement in March 2020. Whereas prior to the latest CBA, commissioner Roger Goodell was judge, jury, and executioner, now it's a more neutral process.

The NFL, led by investigator Lisa Friel, does its investigative work. In this case, it literally took months and months because of the sheer volume of accusers. From there, once the investigation has concluded, Friel and her team turn over their findings and recommendation for punishment to a third party mediator by the name of Sue L. Robinson, a former U.S. district judge who is jointly appointed by the league and the NFL Players Association under the conduct policy.

Once Robinson issues her decision, that's where Goodell could come into play. If there is no punishment for Watson, then there can be no appeal from either side. The case is closed. However, if there is a punishment — and in Watson's case, it would be the shock of the century if there weren't — then either side can appeal, and Goodell can add to or subtract from the punishment as he sees fit. So Goodell still matters, but it is a more neutral process.

So let's peek ahead here, and play this thing out. If it IS a one year suspension for Watson, why is that and what does it all mean?
Why does a one year suspension make sense?
Well, I am going to preface this by saying that, regardless of the punishment, the one thing we will all never know is exactly how compelling the NFL's interviews were with the accusers and with Watson himself. If the suspension is for a full season, though, I think it's a pretty good indicator that alleged victims like Ashley Solis were just as convincing in private NFL interviews as Solis was on HBO's Real Sports. Beyond that, if Watson does get hit with a full season, it will be interesting to see if there is any reaction that a one year suspension is too LIGHT, given the fact that MLB hit Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer, accused of some pretty nasty stuff by multiple women, with a TWO season suspension, which for all intents and purposes, is a career ender for him. That's actually a good segue into this next question...

What does a one year suspension mean for Watson and the Browns?
In a purely 2022 window, it means the obvious — the Browns are going to be a much worse football team in 2022 than they thought they would be when they consummated this deal for Watson. They go from being a likely double digit win team to maybe a 5 or 6 win team with Jacoby Brissett at quarterback. Beyond this season, though, a one season suspension would be disastrous in the big picture for the Browns in two ways. First, they've already paid most of Watson's 2022 income, $45 million to be exact, in the form of a signing bonus. That money is now mostly spread out over the next four seasons on their salary cap, and Watson's cap hit is an astronomical $55 million from 2023 through 2026. Furthermore, the last time Watson played in a real NFL game was January 3, 2021. If he comes back to start in Week 1 of the 2023 season, that will be 980 days in between starts. 980 DAYS! That is not optimal, especially when I think there are major questions as to how he recovers psychologically from being so despised around the league. More on that in a moment.

What does a one year suspension mean for the Houston Texans?
OK, now for the good news, and that news is for YOU, Texan fans! If Watson is suspended for a full season as those close to him believe could happen, then the 2023 first round pick that the team received in the deal has a really good chance of being a top 10 pick. If we believe that the Browns, with Brissett as their starter, are a six win team, then know this — the Bears were 6-11 in 2021 and received the seventh pick in the draft. (Actually, they traded that pick to the Giants, but you get my point.) So that pick, along with the Texans' pick of their own, which should be a top five pick, has them sitting pretty to do whatever they want in the 2023 draft. Again, Nick Caserio crushed this whole transaction. Kudos, Nick!

Does Deshaun Watson ever recover, from an image standpoint, from this?
After watching Michael Vick emerge from two years in prison for some of the horrific stuff he did, I won't rule out any NFL comeback anymore. NFL fans (including me) are fickle people, who are heavily swayed by good play on the field. I guess the difference between Vick and Watson is that Vick never said he didn't do the things he was convicted for. Watson is essentially calling 24 accusers (and likely more coming) liars. If the NFL rules that he's done for a full season, then that's pretty damning. The NFL's investigative process is not a court of law, but it does sway public opinion. Watson seems to be trying like crazy to mitigate damage, mentioning "community" every chance he gets on the rare occasions he's spoken publicly, but it's not working. Not outside Cleveland, at least.

Listen to Sean Pendergast on SportsRadio 610 from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. weekdays. Also, follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/SeanTPendergast and like him on Facebook at facebook.com/SeanTPendergast.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
V
Legend
Legend
V
No, I wasn't stalking you. I check the Who's Online from time to time to see if anyone is responding to a certain thread. I saw the Kraft thread after your name and I wasn't familiar w/it. So, I clicked on it. That's not "whack." But, name calling is fun when it's not you.

And no, posting what you just did does not hurt my feelings. I have been consistent in that I don't think having sex is a bad thing.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Thats some extreme Confession through Projection. Shine on you Crazy Diamond.

Your third mental health reference used as a weapon.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FATE
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I think he wanted to get laid and to that...I say big deal.

Kraft having sex with to women who were not human contraband, has nothing to do with sex trafficking -- and even less to do with Watson being a freaking pervert. And even waaay less to do with blacks, whites and racism.

he did it from a position of power, behind closed doors, under the guise of "massage". He saw them throw him out, he watched them cry, he heard others tell him he better calm down before sh*t gets out of hand... he kept it up.

Funny - the response is "I don't think having sex is a bad thing" .... No mention of the fake equivalence and deflection (some would call it a lie) of trying to frame the Kraft Case about sex trafficking.

No mention of the fake debate that a pro athlete who has spent his entire life entitled and pampered from H.S to Clemson to the NFL and who has just been handed the largest guarantee in NFL history and trying to make this a race issue.

No mention of the non-consensual evidence and testimony.

But more shilling for Watson.

Last edited by mgh888; 06/20/22 08:11 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Thirty-three players have been suspended by the NFL over the last 15 years, including Sheldon Richardson for speeding. I wonder how many owners have been suspended? Looking at the NFL Personal Conduct Policy, it includes: "Everyone who is part of the league must refrain from “conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in” the NFL. This includes owners, coaches, players, other team employees, game officials, and employees of the league office, NFL Films, NFL Network, or any other NFL business."

I don't trust the NFL to handle these situations fairly. I, and others, especially in the black community believe that there is a lack of equity in how the NFL doles out punishment. Some of us believe that the NFL should not be in a position to act in legal matters. We believe this because while the NFL has included the above statement into their Personal Conduct Policy, their decisions have been grossly one-sided in how they treat personal conduct issues for owners vs players.

Once again, Watson's defense teams should push for full disclosure in all these cases. Insist that all the details of these cases, including Snyder's, be made public knowledge and allow the public to decide how much "confidence" we have in the NFL's decision makers.

Legend
Legend
Vague and subjective that is the policy.

If a sports league writes a policy like "personal conduct code."

It needs to be fair and consistent. That has not been the case.

Ben was "accused" of rape. A violent crime. He was accused.

DW is accused.

How do you determine time of suspension on accusations? It is not about proof. The NFL investigates and makes a decision.

I am not falling into comparisons and who is guilty or not. The NFL gets to decide whatever they want.

Fair, unfair, guilty, not guilty. They have the power and we are left to accept what they decide.

1 member likes this: PETE314
V
Legend
Legend
V
Here are some comments from Stephen A Smith that I agree with:

“It's not just about embarrassment. Molly, it is very dangerous for a professional sports league to act as if the law enforcement, to act as if they're the judicial system. It's very dangerous. Because now, whatever decision you make, you're implying, you know, stuff we don't know. And that's not to say that that's false, because obviously you have people investigating the matter. And you may know stuff that we don't know. But the point is that people will want to know what you know. And that's not the job of the National Football League."

"The job of the National Football League is to say this, this is our league, you impugn the integrity, and the shield, we have a right to act. And our decision is based on that alone, to do anything else resembles actions of law enforcement, which they are not qualified, nor do they have a right to do."

"Because at the end of the day, if you're the show, if you are Deshaun Watson or these women, and you and the NFL does anything against one side or the other, you have a right to zero in on the NFL and say who the hell do you think you are?”

Excerpts copied from this article: https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/news-stephen-a-smith-slams-nfl-deshaun-watson-investigation

L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Thats some extreme Confession through Projection. Shine on you Crazy Diamond.

Your third mental health reference used as a weapon.

Imagine how high that would be if I pointed out in every post where the duck quacks like one. If you can't control your own behavior and you decided to use my name than that issue is yours to cope with. Enjoy!

P
Legend
Legend
P
Being open minded is frowned upon by those who want Watson suspended.

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it."

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Good News, Bad news:

Bad News, on the moral high ground it looks like DW is going to get away with this with minimal repercussions.

Good News, looks like DW is going to come away with a minimal suspension if any.

NFLPA is going to fight hard for him...no pun intended. DW has not committed a crime so the NFLPA is going to come at the NFL on any penalties levied on him.

Jmho from reading some stuff...lol laugh

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Originally Posted by eotab
Good News, Bad news:

Bad News, on the moral high ground it looks like DW is going to get away with this with minimal repercussions.

Good News, looks like DW is going to come away with a minimal suspension if any.

NFLPA is going to fight hard for him...no pun intended. DW has not committed a crime so the NFLPA is going to come at the NFL on any penalties levied on him.

If Watson and the Browns walk away unscathed they will have both been very lucky. The FO did a horrible job with this whole thing and there should be some repercussions, however it looks like they got lucky!

1 member likes this: eotab
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Lamp someone here once posted that the one thing pro athletes will not tolerate is messin with his money. Think about this. If our management gives baker away for basically nothing and we start a qb this entire season who is significantly inferior to baker what does that do to our chances of making the playoffs and making a postseason run? I think most of our roster would be fine with baker at qb. If coach did not like baker asking why our rookie rt was left on an island with a great pass rusher opposite him, resulting in multiple sacks, oh well he needs to get over it.

What if you are a more experienced player toward the end of your career. do you want to throw away a potential playoff chance because someone does not like something baker said in the past? Not likely.

If deshaun was playing baker would have to go. If he is suspended we are a better team with baker at qb than with jacoby. That is not in question. Our leadership and baker’s agent need to pull this together and give us a chance at making this a good season. Remember Baker, you will get a super bowl ring too!!

All Pro
All Pro
So Team Watson (and supposedly NFLPA’s) new defense strategy is to attack wealthy white NFL owners to show injustice in the legal system between a black $230m NFL player and a white billionaire owning a NFL team.

The poor black man will only be rewarded with a $44m compensation by doing absolutely nothing compared to the old retired billionaire who also probably earn a [censored] load of money doing almost nothing. I’m 100% sure that every ordinary American NFL viewer can relate to that injustice.

1 member likes this: s003apr
P
Legend
Legend
P
They somehow think it's better to make it a black thing than a woman thing. Over half of our nations population are women. Yet somehow they think this is a sound strategy. The women are the victims here but they are trying their best to take all of the focus in another direction. Are you really surprised by that?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: mgh888
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Again...I don't think the NFLPA's actions are about "getting Watson off" (oooooooh...bad choice of words....) lets add the words "the hook"....that's better.....I think they are just going to use this as a springboard for attacking their real agenda......which is the double standard and inequalities of the enforcement of the Conduct Policy. Watson is just the match....the policy enforcement is the fire...JMO

But the strength of this for the NFLPA is how guarded the NFL is concerning the details of any investigations or workings of these decisions. They do these things to jump ahead of the issues to try and control the information. And they are fanatical about not letting any of this information out. But if this becomes a legal matter...which the NFLPA wants to force...all of this information is going to come out.

Now I don't agree that we let the public decide how the NFL is handling these cases as information coms out...(Well that isn't 100% correct....outside of deciding with their money by buying tickets and merchandise....Same with Watson...no one forcing you to cheer for him or buy his Jersey) But rather let the legal processes take their courses...

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
1 member likes this: IrishDawg42
P
Legend
Legend
P
It's the obligation and duty of every union to stand behind the people they represent. They'll go to any length to do so. I'm not saying that as if it's a bad thing. Just pointing out that's the very reason people have unions. To fight for them from both a financial standpoint and against any type of punishment from their employers.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-nfl-probably-seek-one-200153006.html

Interesting article and I believe Maske may be on to something.

"Although Maske’s story doesn’t mention paid leave, that remains a viable alternative. First, that process doesn’t involve Judge Robinson. Second, it defers a final decision until all litigation ends. Third, it gives Watson a clear incentive to settle the cases pending against him."

1) Trying to determine an appropriate suspension without knowing the totality of the number of suits and/or convictions in the civil trials or still potential criminal charges to be levied is a crap shoot at best. Making a determination later to add suspension time or worst yet discovering that too much suspension was levied would be very bad for all concerned.

2) It takes the decision-making process out of the hands of Judge Robinson who more than likely does not have all the information available since it's an on-going investigation.

3) It takes Watson off the field but doesn't penalize him financially. It also gives Watson paid time off to prepare for his cases.

4) Delaying a final decision on an appropriate suspension until all the litigation ends eliminates the gray area that is hovering over this situation. In addition, it would make the penalty for any Watson convictions to be something of substance. Since Watson's legal team requested to delay the litigation until 2023, allowing Watson to play is rewarding his refusal to address the issues confronting him in a timely fashion. The Browns and Watson agreed to a contract that was clearly structured to protect his earnings from a 2022 suspension. The NFL putting Watson on paid leave where he gets paid the measly amount that Watson and the Browns clearly used to avoid financial penalties in 2022 and use the ultimate findings to suspend Watson in 2023 and beyond where he is held financially accountable for his actions would be more appropriate. I think the Browns FO intentionally tried to bamboozle the NFL with the contract structure and the NFL knows it.

5) 26 or more settlements may be an incentive for Watson but there will still be some type of penalty phase. What that will be is yet to be determined.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Floquinho
So Team Watson (and supposedly NFLPA’s) new defense strategy is to attack wealthy white NFL owners to show injustice in the legal system between a black $230m NFL player and a white billionaire owning a NFL team.

The poor black man will only be rewarded with a $44m compensation by doing absolutely nothing compared to the old retired billionaire who also probably earn a [censored] load of money doing almost nothing. I’m 100% sure that every ordinary American NFL viewer can relate to that injustice.

That is an incorrect assessment of what the defense strategy is all about. It's not about the "legal system." The legal system has not convicted Watson of anything.

The strategy is to reveal that the NFL has not treated the owners and players on equal footing when doling out punishments in Personal Conduct cases. Perhaps you and others are so desperate to see Watson punished that you are blind to the fact that there is a wildly disturbing disparity on how personal conduct issues are handled by the NFL depending upon whether the accused is a player or an owner.

P
Legend
Legend
P
The strategy is to reveal that the NFL has not treated the owners and players on equal footing when doling out punishments in Personal Conduct cases.

Yeah, the infractions are all the same. lol

Perhaps you and others are so desperate to see Watson punished

At least you used the qualifier "perhaps" on it this time rather than state is a fact which up until now has been telling a lie

that you are blind to the fact that there is a wildly disturbing disparity on how personal conduct issues are handled by the NFL depending upon whether the accused is a player or an owner.

Or perhaps you can't seem to see this is different with far more accusers and a pattern we haven't seen in these other cases. Or maybe you are making the argument that since the NFL recognizes they haven't been nearly as harsh as they should be when it comes to the abuse of women, they can't possibly correct that now because it involves a player.

I mean if we're making up "perhaps" scenarios we may as well cover all the bases here.

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I mentioned how I feel about the situation on a previous post. That being said, if I were the FO, coaches, etc. I would plan for the worst; a 2022 season without DW playing. Start giving JB as much coaching and reps as possible. We'll need him to learn as much as he can and play as well as he can.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by LexDawg
Good News, Bad news:

If Watson and the Browns walk away unscathed they will have both been very lucky. The FO did a horrible job with this whole thing and there should be some repercussions, however it looks like they got lucky!

Did I miss a decision by the NFL?

V
Legend
Legend
V
No. At least not that I am aware of.

V
Legend
Legend
V
The following article is from an attorney. What he is saying is possible good news in regards to Watson playing this season, especially given the latest news that the NFLPA has provided in behalf of Watson's defense. The NFL better be careful.

Deshaun Watson, the Grand Jury System, and why the NFL should let him play football until there is an indictment, a trial verdict, a civil settlement, or he admits he did something wrong

The Deshaun Watson case continues to circulate through the news in and outside of the sports world. Watson, the former Houston, Texan quarterback, is now the assumed starting quarterback for the Cleveland Browns. The Browns, despite twenty-two (22) civil lawsuits against Watson, agreed to pay him a record breaking $230 million guarantee contract. The original twenty-two (22) lawsuits have grown to twenty-six (26) lawsuits, all alleging that Watson contacted massage therapist for their services, and at some point in time, coerced them to engage in inappropriate sexual conduct. The incidents allegedly occurred between March 2020 and March 2021.

Tony Buzbee, who is employed on a contingency fee, is representing all the women against Watson. At this point Watson has declined to settle any of the matters and two Texas Grand Juries declined to indict Watson on criminal charges related to these incidents. The NFL, correctly, hasn’t taken any action against him because, at this point, the only proof that something occurred is the victim’s statements and video interviewed, where Buzbee, who has contingent financial interest, likely prepared them for hours.

What to know about the Grand Jury System – What system does Pennsylvania and New Jersey use in criminal cases?

This case has raised many questions regarding Texas’ Grand Jury system, the burden of proof before a grand jury, and its procedures. Texas, like New Jersey, maintains a grand jury system. The role of a Grand Jury is to listen to the facts of the case and determine if probably cause exists for the charges alleged against the Defendant. Pennsylvania, unlike New Jersey and Texas, doesn’t employ this type of system. Criminal charges in the Commonwealth are initially brought before a District Magistrate or Municipal Court Judge (Philadelphia) to make a similar finding at the preliminary hearing.

What is the grand jury’s procedure and what is the prosecutor’s role before a grand jury?

In Texas, a Grand Jury is composed of twelve (12) persons who must be citizens of the county where the grand jury sits. In addition, grand jurors must satisfy the ability to write, read and have no disqualifying criminal convictions. The Texas grand jury must have at least nine (9) grand jurors to indict a case. Failure to achieve non-votes will result in a “No Bill”, which is what occurred in the Watson case.

During grand jury proceeding, prosecutors are permitted to recite the relevant facts to the grand jury so that they can decide if probable cause exists to indict. Prosecutors however may also present documents with testimony from witnesses, including the accused. Defense lawyers along with Judges are not present in the Grand Jury room. In Texas, only the following are permitted, grand jurors, the Prosecutor, witness, a stenographer, and bailiff.

While the accused may be called as a witness before the grand jury, he or she can invoke his/her right against self-incrimination (5th Amendment). All grand jury proceedings are secret, and Prosecutors are only permitted to share information obtained from a grand jury with another grand jury, law enforcement agency or another Prosecutor when they need their assistance with the case.

Grand jurors are allowed to ask questions of the Prosecutor and can request production of other evidence if they think they need it. Grand juries are not trials and Prosecutors are under no obligation to present any evidence which would be exculpate the accused or in some way prove innocence.

Watson faced two (2) grand juries and neither found that sufficient probable cause existed for the charges against him despite reviewing police reports and hearing testimony from witnesses. Watson, apparently invoked his 5th Amendment right during civil depositions, which occurred on the same day as the first grand jury convened. He allegedly answered questions, however, under oath, after the second grand jury declined to indict him.

Why can’t the NFL make a decision on this case?

At this point, the NFL has not any taken action against Watson despite an alleged detailed investigation. Further, Watson is not on paid leave (Commissioner’s Exempt List) despite the allegations.

The NFL’s personal conduct policy states that players, coaches, and team administration must refrain “from conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in the NFL”. The policy goes on to say that conduct by anyone in the league that is illegal, violent, dangerous, or irresponsible, damages the reputation of others in the game and undercuts public respect and support for the NFL.

Players convicted of a crime or subject to a disposition of a criminal proceeding (alternative to conviction program) are subject to discipline. Even if conduct however doesn’t result in a criminal conviction, a player found to have engaged in any conduct which undermines the integrity of the NFL is subject to discipline.

Why should the NFL let Deshaun Watson play?

With that said, the NFL is in a very tough position as the grand Juries in Texas failed to find that probable cause existed to indict Watson. The evidence standard at a grand jury is much lower than what Prosecutors would need to convict him at trial. It is very similar to a civil standard and at this point Watson has yet to settle any of the cases against him. He and his attorney, Rusty Hardin, appear ready to take all matters to trial and only reportedly offered settlements to the alleged victims.

While the NFL policy seems clear that Watson’s alleged behavior, if true, violated league policy, there is no evidence other than the victims’ statements. Unlike other NFL players, such as Ray Rice (2014-suspended indefinitely for domestic violence caught on video); Adrian Peterson (2014-six (6) games-reckless assault of a minor); Greg Hardy (2015-four (4) games – assault and terroristic threats); Ezekiel Elliott (six (6) games – no criminal charges).

The Watson case may actually go to trial. There are no admissions from him, no physical evidence, but only alleged victim’s statements. It may be difficult for the NFL to take any action against him. If the NFL were to act, purely based on allegations and police reports, with as far as we know no real corroborating evidence (videos, recording, an indictment, civil verdict), the league is setting an extremely bad precedent! While I have not reviewed the NFL’s personal conduct policy at length, it would seem extremely unfair if a player could be discipline without some type of admission or finding of guilt. This would open the doors to possible player extortion in the future. Alleged victims could make allegation and players would face discipline even if the only proof was their statements and interview for which they were no doubt prepared for by attorneys who have a financial contingency interest.

Despite critics, the NFL should hold off taking any action against Watson until this matter is resolved. Waiting respects the victims and Watson’s rights. Premature punishment could not accurately reflect what actually occurred through an admission or what a judge or jury found occurred.

https://gambonelaw.com/deshaun-wats...ent-or-he-admits-he-did-something-wrong/

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 06/20/22 07:51 PM.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Why root or for a team that's about to spend 249 million dollars on 2 quarterbacks, that's real close to
a Quarter of a Billion Dollars on 2 quarterbacks who won't take a snap in September or October of the NFL season,
IF EVERYONE IS HEALTHY!
AND WE HAVE TO WATCH JACOBY FREAKING BRISSETT?

Oh my Gosh they have their Act together in a way, SO unprecedented.
" Loyd?? A Tad!!! A Tad!!, You drove almost a 6th of the way, across the country, in the Wrong Direction! "

" Well Excuse me Mr. PERFECT!!"
You have an NFL Franchise, and you don't even have a quarterback.
*****!!! Dishone Kizer????? Again??? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh my gosh. No!
They'd have a better chance with Josh Cribbs, or 2012 Josh Cribbs starting the whole game at QB, than any team is going to be afraid of Jacoby Brissett.
If We have to watch 1 game of Jacoby Brissett, and everyone is healthy, NO!
Tune me OUT, air packer games, Air freaking packer games in Columbus Ohio, just to protest,
I'm sick of this 30 years of being DUMPED ON!
edit: gimme a minute!

Last edited by THROW LONG; 06/20/22 07:50 PM. Reason: I wasn't finished the dumb enter key posts the reply? seriously?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
2nd String
2nd String
jc
Haven't seen this on here, but if so sorry about the repeat.

DA on Watson Case

Texas DA who faced Deshaun Watson: ‘Wait and see’ whether justice is served
By Ryan Dunleavy
June 19, 2022 12:46pm

Deshaun Watson was not indicted. He also was not exonerated.

That’s what Harris County (Texas) District Attorney Kim Ogg wants everyone to remember about the gray area surrounding Watson as civil lawsuits accusing the Cleveland Browns quarterback of sexual misconduct continue to mount. A Harris County grand jury did not indict Watson — the former Houston Texans star — on nine criminal complaints in March, and that verdict cleared a path for his trade to the Browns.

In a legal context, failing to meet the burden of proof is not the same as declaring innocence, however. Appearing on “The Mike Meltser Podcast” dedicated to sports law, Ogg wrapped up the interview by saying, “We respect our justice process. I love the law. It’s designed to get to the truth. That’s really what people want. I don’t think as a culture we can live with injustice. Remember, a grand jury no bill is not an exoneration. People, even when they clear the criminal justice system, often face accountability and repercussions in other parts of our legal system.”
Watson still faces 24 civil lawsuits from his former massage therapists and likely punishment from the NFL.

“I think to determine whether justice was done in this case you’re going to have to wait and see how it all comes out on the civil side of things and then through the NFL on the administrative side of things,” Ogg said. “And then people will determine whether that’s justice.

I don't envy the people that have to make decisions on a person's guilt or innocence. I am sure the GJ made a wise decision to not indict based on the evidence presented. The thing that some are overlooking is he could still be indicted if additional evidence surfaces. Being a Browns fan is not for the weak

The Constitution shall never be construe to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. – Samuel Adams
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted by LexDawg
Good News, Bad news:

Did I miss a decision by the NFL?

No just ASSumptions

We are in the dead zone - I claim that writer's right of ASSuming what is going to happen. After all hasn't that we have been doing all along. One year? 6 games? we can of course ASSume there will be a suspension of some degree now the game is calling the correct number. Care to play?

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
The first bit of good news Browns fans have gotten since this entire mess showed up in Cleveland. Maybe, just maybe Watson might see the field for the Browns...we can hope..!

Tony Buzbee: 20 of the 24 cases against Deshaun Watson have settled

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 21, 2022, 11:59 AM EDT
link

Most of the women suing Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson have agreed to a settlement.

Tony Buzbee, the attorney representing 24 female massage therapists who say Watson engaged in inappropriate sexual conduct during their sessions, announced today that 20 of his clients have settled.

“Today I announce that all cases against Deshaun Watson, with the exception of four, have settled,” Buzbee said in a statement. “We are working through the paperwork related to those settlements. Once we have done so, those particular cases will be dismissed. The terms and amounts of the settlements are confidential. We won’t comment further on the settlements or those cases.”

Settling the cases is a significant step for Watson as he attempts to resume his NFL career, but it in no way means he won’t be suspended by the NFL. What’s beneficial for Watson is that the terms of the settlements will be confidential, making it more likely that Watson can stem the flow of negative information that has done significant damage to his reputation.

But until all 24 cases are settled, Watson remains in jeopardy. And Buzbee indicated that the first plaintiff, Ashley Solis, and three other plaintiffs are continuing to move forward.

“Ashley Solis is one of the heroes of this story. Her case has not settled and thus her story and that of the other three brave women will continue. I look forward to trying these cases in due course, consistent with other docket obligations and the court’s schedule,” Buzbee said.

The NFL’s investigation of potential violations of the league’s personal conduct policy is ongoing.

Last edited by mac; 06/21/22 12:24 PM.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Sounds consistent with a report I talked about earlier about a offer was made and all but 4 wanted to settle, but the Watson camp made it a all or nothing deal.

Looks like the Watson camp decided getting the window dressing out of the way was the way to go to concentrate on the meat and potato's.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
peen...the fact that Goodell is scheduled to answer questions before the House Committee on Oversight and Reform 'tomorrow' might have helped to push the matter a bit. Goodell can excuse any questions concerning Watson's situation by simply stating the present situation won't allow him to comment on the matter.

Now maybe we can stop charade and move on in a positive direction...I hope.!

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
It is human nature to forgive as long as those involved simply admit that they need to do some soul searching in an effort to become a better person. It does not have to be an admission of guilt..just the acknowledgement of the desire to be a better man.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Freakin’ finally! I guarantee the settlements are WAY more expensive than they would have been a few months ago but at least someone is Watson’s camp got thru to him that this was inevitable and the price was only going up. That they’re confidential tells me that they are probably obscene numbers. As it probably should be. Just eat it and move on.

It doesn’t sound like the main plaintiff is one of the settlers but she’ll probably come around at some point. The same reality for Deshaun is true for her, a trial is a dice roll.

This was literally the only thing he could do to positively effect the potential length of the suspension. This takes a lot of pressure off the league. Good chance it’s not “open ended” now.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
V
Legend
Legend
V
If I were on Watson's defense team or one of the attorneys for the NFLPA, I would be pushing hard for ZERO games, but I might be willing to accept 4 games just to appease the masses. Anything more, I'd go all in on suing the NFL for unfair practices in regards to how they handle the Personal Conduct Policy that is actually quite clear and specific.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Well of course you would...

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The league has to consider public sentiment. This not being an actual criminal legal issue meant the court of public opinion is the biggest factor by far. I think if they come back with 4 games it’s going to look very bad, like the league is very out of step with wider world and not pro woman. I think they still have to placate that. I would still not be surprised by a year. But I feel like there’s a possibility of less. Less than 8 would really surprise me.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Will Watson be the Browns Starting QB...continued

Link Copied to Clipboard