Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
V
Legend
Legend
V
I get the public sentiment thing. It's been a topic for quite some time. However, things will get beyond nasty for the NFL if the NFLPA's legal team and Watson's team take the NFL to court and demand "full disclosure" of how they have investigated and handed out punishment when it comes to the owners vs the players.

I guarantee you that the "public sentiment" will be far, far worse in the long run if the truth comes out about just how corrupt the NFL has been for decades. You are a smart guy and you are a fair poster. I have no problem w/your positions on this because you are being fair. Try this if you have time. Google "nfl and unfair treatment of players versus owners" and you will see quite the long list. There is a history of this being the case and again, the NFL isn't going to want this be at the forefront of the story lines. Once again, the Personal Conduct policy is essential to this case. It's quite clear.

All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
If I were on Watson's defense team or one of the attorneys for the NFLPA, I would be pushing hard for ZERO games, but I might be willing to accept 4 games just to appease the masses. Anything more, I'd go all in on suing the NFL for unfair practices in regards to how they handle the Personal Conduct Policy that is actually quite clear and specific.

You have been wrong almost every time you had an opinion and this time is not by any means different. When will you ever learn?

Legend
Legend
"Demanding full disclosure" and getting it would be two different things. I would suspect that a judge would reply that he/she is aware of perceived improprieties, will keep it in mind, but the case will be judged on it's own merits. jmo

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I don’t read it that way. I doubt the nflpa would ever get their hands on actual investigation materials in any case. They’ll rightfully fight on the discrepancy in judgements against owners vs everyone else. But from where I’m sitting, the potential of an unjust wrist slap verdict story playing out in USA Today and the NYTimes and the nightly news and what it says about the league’s regard for women is way worse than the “inside baseball” verdict discrepancy story playing out mostly in sports media. That story would generate a small fraction of the”NFL doesn’t care about women and sexual abuse” story imo. I guess we just wait and see. I don’t think the net result is going to be subtle or nuanced, we’ll know who’s prediction was right.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
V
Legend
Legend
V
That's fair.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I do want to clarify something. I don't believe that the case would ever reach the courts should the NFLPA's and Watson's attorneys use that as a defense strategy. I think it would be more the threat of opening up unwanted attention and the examining of just how biased and unfair the NFL has been over the decades. Again, there is a long list of issues.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
NFL on Deshaun Watson: Today’s development has no impact on disciplinary process

Posted by Mike Florio on June 21, 2022, 1:57 PM EDT
link

Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson has settled with 20 of the 24 massage therapists who had sued him. It has no affect on his status with the NFL.

While that goes without saying, the league said it anyway.

“Today’s development has no impact on the collectively bargained disciplinary process,” NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Watson’s potential punishment under the Personal Conduct Policy exists independently of the outcome of the 24 cases. The behavior itself — setting up private massages reportedly with at least 66 women through social media and having some of them become sexual encounters — could justify discipline even if he would have won every single lawsuit.

That said, slashing the pending cases from 24 to four likely prevents paid leave from returning to the NFL’s radar screen. Especially if Watson’s next step is (as it should be) to get the remaining cases settled.

The question then becomes the extent of the suspension the league will propose. PFT reported last week that the NFL Players Association anticipates an “unprecedented” punishment. The Washington Post thereafter reported it will “probably” be a full season.

Last edited by mac; 06/21/22 02:58 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Originally Posted by mac
NFL on Deshaun Watson: Today’s development has no impact on disciplinary process

Posted by Mike Florio on June 21, 2022, 1:57 PM EDT
link

Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson has settled with 20 of the 24 massage therapists who had sued him. It has no affect on his status with the NFL.

While th“Today’s development has no impact on the collectively bargained disciplinary process,” NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Watson’s potential punishment under the Personal Conduct Policy exists independently of the outcome of the 24 cases. The behavior itself — setting up private massages reportedly with at least 66 women through social media and having some of them become sexual encounters — could justify discipline even if he would have won every single lawsuit.

That said, slashing the pending cases from 24 to four likely prevents paid leave from returning to the NFL’s radar screen. Especially if Watson’s next step is (as it should be) to get the remaining cases settled.

The question then becomes the extent of the suspension the league will propose. PFT reported last week that the NFL Players Association anticipates an “unprecedented” punishment. The Washington Post thereafter reported it will “probably” be a full season.at goes without saying, the league said it anyway.

Well there went that fuzzy feeling quickly.

V
Legend
Legend
V
A more objective take:

Finally, some progress for the Browns in the Deshaun Watson case – Terry Pluto

Updated: Jun. 21, 2022, 1:33 p.m. | Published: Jun. 21, 2022, 12:44 p.m.
AWAITS NFL RULING
Cleveland Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson has settled most of the civil lawsuits against him. Joshua Gunter, cleveland.com

facebook
twitter
shares
By Terry Pluto, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio – Now, the Browns wait for the NFL to rule in the Deshaun Watson case.

And with most of the civil lawsuits by massage therapists settled by Watson and his lawyers, one big problem should no longer be a possibility.

That would have been placing the QB on paid leave for the entire 2022 season, then awaiting how the courts would rule in the 24 lawsuits facing Watson.

Yes, that could have led to a suspension for part or all of 2023.

Now it’s likely that whatever the NFL does, it will be held to the 2022 season. Then Watson should be able to play in 2023, unless the league comes up with a stunning multiyear suspension.

There are still four lawsuits pending. But now that 20 have settled, that should set up the financial parameters to work out a deal taking care of those civil suits.

For the Browns, this has to be a relief. It would appear the worst-case scenario is over. Also, the nightmarish public relations battle over Watson’s conduct should be calmed down.

It is worth mentioning that Watson’s insistence on how he wanted to “clear my name” and didn’t plan to settle the lawsuits was nothing more than posturing. He had offered to settle a number of the suits a year ago.

So none of this was really about clearing his name. It was about making a deal – for both sides.

There will be people who say, “The civil suits are settled. There are no criminal charges. Let’s play ball.”

But most of the players suspended by the NFL weren’t criminally charged. That includes Kareem Hunt (eight games for a physical altercation with a woman) and Myles Garrett (six games for hitting Mason Rudolph in the head with a helmet during a game).

Tom Brady was suspended four games for deflating footballs. Receiver Calvin Ridley is suspended for all of 2022 for betting on football games.

No criminal charges in any of these examples.

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said Watson settling 20 cases “has no impact on the collectively bargained disciplinary process.’’

It’s hard to guess what the NFL will do. There are reports about Watson facing a severe penalty. And reports of the players union fighting hard to defend him, citing the improper conduct of some owners and the light penalties they received.

The league also must look into the actions of the Houston Texans, who reportedly supplied Watson with hotel rooms and Non-Disclosure Agreements to be given to the therapists when they met with Watson.

This is an ugly case on several fronts, not just Watson’s actions.

But for now, the NFL should be able to come up with a decision regarding Watson’s possible suspension. And that should happen soon.

For the Browns, Watson and the NFL, that should be good news. All sides need clarity in terms of what comes next.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...-in-deshaun-watson-case-terry-pluto.html

P
Legend
Legend
P
Well of course that's more objective than a direct statement from the NFL.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
The Washington Post thereafter reported it will “probably” be a full season.

I never thought it would be a full season from the start. Still don't. If the NFL comes out with that, it will because they know it will be negotiated down and they need to start high.

We'll see.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Well of course that's more objective than a direct statement from the NFL.

Reading can be hard.

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said Watson settling 20 cases “has no impact on the collectively bargained disciplinary process.’’

P
Legend
Legend
P
Exactly. Which means the length of his suspension will not be impacted by the settlements either way. That's not what Pluto claimed. But you claimed that Pluto's article and opinion was more objective than a statement put out by the NFL. It's not that reading is hard. It seems to be the issue lies with comprehension.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
J/C. With this Watson issue coming to a close sooner than later, can anyone tell me if him sitting all last year factors in at all? I didn’t read all 6 pages of the thread to see if somebody else covered that. I am thinking it has to be looked at a little. For him to miss even 8 games plus last year seems quite a lot considering there have been no criminal charges. I totally understand the severity of everything but I just don’t know how the discipline will be factored in with last year also.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The nfl saying it has no impact, yea, I don’t know. The reality is settling 20 of the cases definitely takes considerable pressure off the league to go nuclear. I would venture that it maybe takes the prospect of a multi-year or truly open ended judgement off the table. Obviously there’s still 4 pending and reports of another 2 still, correct? Any any of the other 66 could enter the fray at anytime so it’s not like all pressure and risk was removed. But at least pressure is being released from the story rather than added.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Rottweiller
J/C. With this Watson issue coming to a close sooner than later, can anyone tell me if him sitting all last year factors in at all? I didn’t read all 6 pages of the thread to see if somebody else covered that. I am thinking it has to be looked at a little. For him to miss even 8 games plus last year seems quite a lot considering there have been no criminal charges. I totally understand the severity of everything but I just don’t know how the discipline will be factored in with last year also.

Do you mean in the sense of 'time served'? If so, I've thought about that too. Just not sure it will make a difference.

Personally, I think it should but I doubt it. If it did and he was still getting paid in 2021, I think any possible suspension now would come with an additional hefty fine as well. And him sitting out in 2021 is also why I don't think he will serve a one-year suspension in 2022 as well.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
One has to wonder. If they make a determination now, how will the outcome of the other cases work out? Would they then ignore future evidence and outcomes, maybe even more cases brought forth afterwords? Or would they be addressed with further punishment at a future date?

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
This is where I'm at, and that's why I think settling won't/shouldn't have an impact.

It was a crapshoot before, and when you think about it settling cases really doesn't change anything.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
B
Legend
Legend
B
One has to wonder. If they make a determination now, how will the outcome of the other cases work out? Would they then ignore future evidence and outcomes, maybe even more cases brought forth afterwords? Or would they be addressed with further punishment at a future date?

I don't know. I think the other 4 will be settled soon.

I think we are down to the 4 best cases against Watson. Now it just depends on how much money they want because that is what civil suits are all about. It's now at a realistic number where you can offer up some real "go away" money. That or stick to your guns and fight it out. There is still a real good chance Watson would win.

JMO

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
This is why I don't talk to you. I did not claim any such thing. Your lies are old. I said that Pluto's article was more objective than Florio's.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't know.....it's hard to believe that the 4 unsettled cases can be a good thing.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

If I was his lawyer I’d have to think that if someone entered the fray late, weeks or months after the thing got going, those wouldn’t likely be strong cases. It’s the initial litigants, the ones that get the whole ball rolling that usually have the juice and the evidence, the ones that went to the cops or otherwise reported it to others immediately. The ones that come later rarely have much. The biggest thing this group had was momentum. I’d bet they got (and probably rightfully so) very high payouts. You jump in now or weeks/months from now, there’s no momentum and the prospect of things dragging out after the press and cameras have left hurts the litigant more than Deshaun.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Again - just speculation - but the payment is essentially hush money to silence the noise in the media. I don't know that they will individually get different settlements based on when they signed on. jmo.

And the initial accusers might have the strongest cases and be the ones to not have settled. There is also a reasonable possibility that instead of $$$ - one or more of these women might want to see their wrong righted in public via a trial.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
The Washington Post thereafter reported it will “probably” be a full season.

I never thought it would be a full season from the start. Still don't. If the NFL comes out with that, it will because they know it will be negotiated down and they need to start high.

We'll see.

This is my opinion too. A lot of over-dramatic assumptions and speculation from the start without bottom-line facts or a conclusion.

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
M
Legend
Legend
M
Speculation yes. Assumption no. It's all anyone has been able to do. Whether you think the ban might end up being 6 - 8 - 10 games or a year. It's speculation.

Based on the other conduct bans we have seen - I have always said I expected a 10 games minimum. I won't discount a year but settling all but 4 cases is a help.

Last edited by mgh888; 06/21/22 06:13 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
There has been a lot of both. But really, both words are similar depending how you look at the thread/posts. So I can understand your response.

My thoughts have been around 6-8 through most of this scenario.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by mgh888
Speculation yes. Assumption no. It's all anyone has been able to do. Whether you think the ban might end up being 6 - 8 - 10 games or a year. It's speculation.

Based on the other conduct bans we have seen - I have always said I expected a 10 games minimum. I won't discount a year but settling all but 4 cases is a help.

In the end I am not so sure the total of number of cases plays any role in what the NFL thinks. It has to some on the board. It never really influenced what I thought or think now.

The clearing of cases simplifies Watsons defense, so in that sense it helps.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
In the end I am not so sure the total of number of cases plays any role in what the NFL thinks. It has to some on the board. It never really influenced what I thought or think now.

This has been my view/belief too.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by ScottPlayersFacemask

I'm not sure the amount of cases play no role, but part of the NFL's language is pretty clear... and that is they will follow guidelines for first offenses, and this is definitely Watson's first offense regardless of number of cases.

Also this:

Violations involving assault, battery, domestic violence or sexual assault will result in a baseline six-game suspension without pay, with more if aggravating factors are present, such as the use of a weapon or a crime against a child.

I would expect them to tack on 2-4 more games to the baseline because of the sheer number of cases. A suspension of 10 games or more will definitely (imo) result in legal action from Deshaun and the player's union.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by mac
The first bit of good news Browns fans have gotten since this entire mess showed up in Cleveland. Maybe, just maybe Watson might see the field for the Browns...we can hope..!

Tony Buzbee: 20 of the 24 cases against Deshaun Watson have settled

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 21, 2022, 11:59 AM EDT
link

Most of the women suing Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson have agreed to a settlement.

Tony Buzbee, the attorney representing 24 female massage therapists who say Watson engaged in inappropriate sexual conduct during their sessions, announced today that 20 of his clients have settled.

“Today I announce that all cases against Deshaun Watson, with the exception of four, have settled,” Buzbee said in a statement. “We are working through the paperwork related to those settlements. Once we have done so, those particular cases will be dismissed. The terms and amounts of the settlements are confidential. We won’t comment further on the settlements or those cases.”

Settling the cases is a significant step for Watson as he attempts to resume his NFL career, but it in no way means he won’t be suspended by the NFL. What’s beneficial for Watson is that the terms of the settlements will be confidential, making it more likely that Watson can stem the flow of negative information that has done significant damage to his reputation.

But until all 24 cases are settled, Watson remains in jeopardy. And Buzbee indicated that the first plaintiff, Ashley Solis, and three other plaintiffs are continuing to move forward.

“Ashley Solis is one of the heroes of this story. Her case has not settled and thus her story and that of the other three brave women will continue. I look forward to trying these cases in due course, consistent with other docket obligations and the court’s schedule,” Buzbee said.

The NFL’s investigation of potential violations of the league’s personal conduct policy is ongoing.

Well, he sure proved his innocence. If y'all want to be giddy go ahead. This is great for him potentially moving forward with his life, but it damn sure doesn't exonerate what he may or may not have done. As a matter of fact, IMO, it makes him look guilty after just publically stating all he wanted to do was clear his name. Settling damn sure didn't do that. I love this team, but to hell with Deshaen Watson.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by FATE
Originally Posted by ScottPlayersFacemask

I'm not sure the amount of cases play no role, but part of the NFL's language is pretty clear... and that is they will follow guidelines for first offenses, and this is definitely Watson's first offense regardless of number of cases.

Also this:

Violations involving assault, battery, domestic violence or sexual assault will result in a baseline six-game suspension without pay, with more if aggravating factors are present, such as the use of a weapon or a crime against a child.

I would expect them to tack on 2-4 more games to the baseline because of the sheer number of cases. A suspension of 10 games or more will definitely (imo) result in legal action from Deshaun and the player's union.

Understood. Hard to explain it through text, but hopefully this will be clear. As an organizational thinking, the number plays a baseline part, but the thought process is it's a high number. The added numbers after the starting baseline and possibly if more in the future really don't have a bearing on the course of action taken for the suspension. The exception to this would be a new case coming forward with rape or something to that extreme.

Edit: should add i think whatever the suspension amount is given to him, will be appealed by DW and his team. This is my thought process on why it will be down to 6-8 games (after an appeal).

Last edited by ScottPlayersFacemask; 06/21/22 08:40 PM.
1 member likes this: FATE
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J/c

I find it interesting that the NFL PR guy said recent events won't change the "process." That may be true. But, will it influence the result of the process?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Jacoby Brissett is to starting Ob's in the NFL, as Dontrel Hilliard is to starting Rb's in the NFL.

Dontrel Hilliard, (Titans 2nd or 3rd rb, got beat out for the spot on the Browns by D'Ernest Johnson circa 20I9+. )

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
1 member likes this: OldColdDawg
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
Jacoby Brissett is to starting Ob's in the NFL, as Dontrel Hilliard is to starting Rb's in the NFL.

Dontrel Hilliard, (Titans 2nd or 3rd rb, got beat out for the spot on the Browns by D'Ernest Johnson circa 20I9+. )

I think this might be one of the most accurate things you've ever written here.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: OldColdDawg
Legend
Legend
j/c...

This is lining up for an 8 game suspension (my opinion). If so... our division rivals each get a stab at us with a backup QB and Watson gets the bye week to work himself through some reps.

Browns will need to go 4-4 to have a chance at the playoffs. 3-5 is tough... 3-5 is probably insurmountable if we are 0-3 in the division.

1 Sept. 11 at Panthers
2 Sept. 18 vs. Jets
3 Sept. 22 vs. Steelers (Thursday)
4 Oct. 2 at Falcons
5 Oct. 9 vs. Chargers
6 Oct. 16 vs. Patriots
7 Oct. 23 at Ravens
8 Oct. 31 vs. Bengals (Monday)

We probably won't beat the the Chargers, probably won't beat the Patriots, probably not much of a prayer in Baltimore. Really need to defend our turf against the Steelers and Bengals to have a real shot.

Legend
Legend
I also think it helps, clarifies where the outcomes are when packaged together for settlements. Just a thought in a new direction on this situation, don't be surprised to see vehement reactions on either or both parties around NFL ruling and discipline. The players will make this issue, especially if severe in their eyes, because it may be one to go to the mats for IMO. They must. Regardless of the outcome and disposition of DW's cases, the most easily overlooked aspect is vital IMO. We are spectators who are watching while a noteworthy precedent is being set; precedents have influence, and it is in place to guide similar futures. The NFL has to mindfully fashion its response with an eye on precedents it will pass down going forward. Some of that will be in degree of discipline and length and numbers of suspension. I can't wait to be looking back at this whole affair.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I do not know how long the suspension will be. There are some factors that can allow me to guess. The baseline is 6 games. No weapon was involved. The alleged victims were not minors. Most of the cases have been settled. Four have not. Public opinion, led by Mike Florio, has demanded a lengthy suspension. The HBO thing was bad for Watson. The NFLPA and Watson's defense team has threatened to go after the NFL hard to protect Watson's rights. They have mentioned the punishment for other owners who have violated the terms of the Almighty Personal Conduct Policy. Add to that the race card and unfair treatment of minorities over the years.

I'm guessing 6 games. The NFLPA will appeal and it will end up at 4 games. Anything more, and the NFLPA and Watson's legal team go after the NFL hard. I suggested that long before anyone brought it up and I still believe it is Watson's trump card.

If Watson is suspended for four games, I think that the Browns can weather the storm due to a rather easy schedule at the beginning of the year. Stefanski can game plan to feature the running game and quick passing game. Jacoby won't turn it over as much as Baker. He will take fewer sacks which should help keep us from getting behind the chains, which will enable our running game to be more productive. If JB has to play more than 4 games, the season is lost because he won't be able to sustain it and we will be right back to where we were last year.

Bottom line: I feel more optimistic today than I have for weeks.

B
Legend
Legend
B

And I think you get my point. Of course the numbers play some role on the overall situation, but even then not all that much unless you are factoring public opinion..

Let's say there was 1 woman involved in all of this. I don't think many people would be saying, well, it's ONLY 1 woman. We aren't dealing with a serial killer here.

My comments are more from a legal standpoint and not from a NFL standpoint where their main concern is with the members and personal conduct policy as they pertain to protecting the NFL shield. I don't say that to indicate the NFL doesn't care about legal outcome, but they have no control over that, so they aren't concerned with that, they care about the things they can control.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree w/you, but there is a growing sentiment out there that says the NFL is on a slippery slope because they are NOT the legal system and are acting like a legal system. I'm telling you, they could be in for a world of hurt if the NFLPA and Watson's legal team take this to the courts and this is tried "legally."

B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree w/you, but there is a growing sentiment out there that says the NFL is on a slippery slope because they are NOT the legal system and are acting like a legal system. I'm telling you, they could be in for a world of hurt if the NFLPA and Watson's legal team take this to the courts and this is tried "legally."

Maybe, maybe not.

Codes of conduct are nothing new, and are legal. Many public companies are required to have a code of conduct.

I assume NFL players and employees have had to sign the code. If not, then there is a good chance to challenge. Assuming the code is a signed document of employment, then the only challenge would be on the grounds the code itself goes too far and is illegal in some way. It might be something to pursue, but the NFL has pretty good lawyers under direct employment and or contracted legal firms retained. I am not saying the code of employment couldn't be cracked, but it is probably a pretty tough nut.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: FATE
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Will Watson be the Browns Starting QB...continued

Link Copied to Clipboard