Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Legend
Legend
it's not about rewarding or punishing Baker... it's about doing the best business decision... I agree with you.. Browns should hold onto him for now... no sense in cutting him if you just have to pay his salary anyway... hold him until a team gets desperate to trade something decent for him. I don't care if Browns have to pay his salary this year if they can get a decent draft pick back...

<><

#gmstrong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I didn't mean to suggest I thought you were soft. Sorry if that is how I came across. It's just that I have no problem w/people disagreeing w/me if they do so fairly and don't resort to attacks. On the other hand, I have despised bullies since I was a small boy and most found out the hard way when they tried to bully another classmate or kid the neighborhood. I'll fight those kind of guys tooth and nail. So again, I don't think you are soft at all. I was simply disagreeing w/you and being nice about it. Just like you disagree w/me in a gentlemanly manner.

Legend
Legend
Winston was there. He was their starter and was injured.

Matt Ryan is better than Baker and is a former MVP.

It is debatable to say Mariota is better than Baker.

So nobody wants Baker IMO is not accurate. Many of the quarterback decisions were made and in place before it was decided to go after DW.

If DW went to another team. He was the Browns starter.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
That's fair, jay. I probably should have omitted the "rewarding" angle. I had read something about a guy saying "free Baker," and it annoyed me. Of course, no one here knew that I was thinking about that while typing my post. I should not have put that part in there.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Okay, we disagree. That's fine. I just don't like words like garbage and BS attached to my name when I am not trying to deceive anyone. Let's move on. No big deal. you are one of the few guys who actually talk football in this forum and I don't want to lose us conversing.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c...

Deal for Baker getting close?

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: FATE
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
All the garbage about nobody wants Baker is BS.

I don't think it is either garbage or BS. Houston has who at QB? They didn't accept Baker as part of the trade. Indy chose an old Matt Ryan over Baker. ATL went w/Mariotta over Baker. The Saints chose to re-sign Winston instead of trading for Baker. Seattle, NY, and Carolina have not pulled the trigger.

Btw----I did not insult anyone w/my response, but I don't care for it when people call my opinions "garbage" and "BS."

These teams all felt they had Cleveland over a barrel and asked, why overpay? That is all this is or was. Baker will find a landing spot at some point, OR it just makes the FO look even more incompetent for invoking the fifth-year option than it already does for the DW deal. But nice try Vers. I'm beginning to think this thing with Baker is personal. Did he do something to you or your family? You are relentless, like a dog after a bone bashing him. And I also find your zealous defense of Watson a bit disturbing. I mean it's no problem you want the guy here, but damn man, he very well could be a preditor and we can ALL SEE that. Maybe just turn it down half a notch. That's all I'm saying.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 06/15/22 08:27 PM.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Report: A Baker Mayfield-for-Sam Darnold trade is “very unlikely”

Posted by Charean Williams on June 15, 2022, 7:00 PM EDT
link

A Browns’ trade of Baker Mayfield to the Panthers remains a possibility, but a report Wednesday indicates it won’t be a Mayfield-for-Sam Darnold deal.

Mary Kay Cabot of cleveland.com reports that a Mayfield-for-Darnold swap is “very unlikely” and quotes a source who said he is “confident it’s not happening.”

Such a deal makes sense for both sides given the quarterbacks both are under contract for 2022 at the fifth-year option amount of $18.86 million, which is fully guaranteed. Darnold was drafted two spots after Mayfield, at No. 3 overall by the Jets in 2018.

The Browns want to — and need to — move on from Mayfield after trading for Deshaun Watson. But, per Cabot, they are comfortable with Jacoby Brissett and Josh Dobbs as their quarterbacks in the event Watson is suspended for part or all of 2022. Brissett has started 37 career games and Dobbs none.

Darnold has started 49 career games.

Mayfield, though, still could end up as the starter in Carolina.

The Panthers want the Browns to pay the lion’s share of Mayfield’s salary to do the deal, which is why Mayfield remains a member of the Browns as the offseason programs end.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I wonder if Darnold is saying no thanks. Who’d blame him, going from presumed starter to backup to a backup in godforsaken Cleveland. Not that he’d have much say if Carolina so deemed but they probably want to keep him for the same reason we want him, experienced backup. But I wouldn’t be surprised one but if he made it known to all parties that he wants no part of the Browns.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I think Cleveland's situation is better than Carolina's. I just don't see why the Browns would want Darnold.

1 member likes this: CapCity Dawg
Legend
Legend
Rumors.

I don't see the logic in that trade.

Not losing sleep over Baker. He is not in the Browns plans. He will be gone one way or another.

Let him stay home till he is traded or cut at the end of the season.

He will get a chance to play for someone.

1 member likes this: mgh888
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

If Baker gets traded to Carolina, here is my guess on how it goes down.....

The Browns might have to pay half or more than half of this deal. However, maybe in some form of the Osweiler deal, gets draft capital back because they are taking on a bulk of the contract. I think this is a scenario many have discussed. But what, instead of capital, it is Robbie Anderson? The guy has publicly tweeted about Mayfield and that might be contentious from the start. He has been wildly considered an analytics dream (from a volume of opportunity perspective) that never lived up to expectations (probably because of Darnold). He did sign a rather large contract that runs through 2023 but not sure how much of the money the Browns would owe in terms of signing bonuses/guaranteed dollars post-trade. His base salary is $1.35MM (the Andrew Berry Special). And let's be honest, after Cooper, there are a lot of question marks/unknowns about DPJ, Schwartz, etc.

Just a thought.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I had actually considered a Baker for Anderson trade, as well. Not sure if it is realistic because I have no knowledge of how teams deal w/the financial aspects of such trades. Anderson is not a bad WR. He has a lot of talent and would be our #2 right away.

I will say that I would not pay that much of Baker's salary. I would just hold on to him if a team isn't willing to take on most of the salary.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
j/c...

If Baker gets traded to Carolina, here is my guess on how it goes down.....

The Browns might have to pay half or more than half of this deal. However, maybe in some form of the Osweiler deal, gets draft capital back because they are taking on a bulk of the contract. I think this is a scenario many have discussed. But what, instead of capital, it is Robbie Anderson? The guy has publicly tweeted about Mayfield and that might be contentious from the start. He has been wildly considered an analytics dream (from a volume of opportunity perspective) that never lived up to expectations (probably because of Darnold). He did sign a rather large contract that runs through 2023 but not sure how much of the money the Browns would owe in terms of signing bonuses/guaranteed dollars post-trade. His base salary is $1.35MM (the Andrew Berry Special). And let's be honest, after Cooper, there are a lot of question marks/unknowns about DPJ, Schwartz, etc.

Just a thought.

Robbie Anderson or Jay-Z?

You decide.

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by mgh888
j/c...

I hope it all gets resolved soon. Panthers are a Poop Sandwich ... bottom 2 or 3 teams in the NFL. Be interesting to see.

I thought the same thing when Anderson tweeted that out. Methinks he was informed of something.

Panthers might be a dumpster fire, but they're like the Dynasty Patriots compared to what Baker walked into when he was drafted here.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
On the other hand, I have despised bullies since I was a small boy and most found out the hard way when they tried to bully another classmate or kid the neighborhood. I'll fight those kind of guys tooth and nail.

rofl

You have become what you claim to despise.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Joel Bitonio statement on Wednesday June 15th, 2022....

“Baker is my guy. I still remember the Thursday night Jets game when he came in and helped lead us to victory. It was honestly one of the more special moments of my career because it had been so long since we won games,” Bitonio told reporters on Wednesday, June 15. “He’s a tough guy and he plays hard. He played his heart out for us and I’ll always respect that. He’s still a friend of mine and we text occasionally. I think, like everyone else, he’s waiting it out to see where he’s going. Baker did a lot for this franchise. He won a lot of games and was a great player for us.”

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: mgh888
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Joel Bitonio is a class act through and through
He is the best team mate anybody could ask for
But offensive linemen by in large are not as opinionated
As RBs or WRs. They quietly go about their business
Rarely do you hear any offensive linemen speak negative
About QBs they blocked for
Alot of guards, tackles , centers come up through agricultural
Backgrounds or blue collar upbringings.
They are really good people in general
No divas or me 1st attitudes with guys like Bitonio

Legend
Legend
Sadly, I don't think there's a team out there that thinks Baker can be their starting qb. What would it take for the Browns FO to say, "here, he's yours"? I think the price would be approximately us eating 8 million of his contract. I think any team in the league needing a starting qb would pony up 10 million per season pronto....to get him into minicamp and the OTA's. Nobody needing a starting qb is going wait it out to save a few million or hope that we cut him.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
It's looking that way. Our best bet is if someone gets hurt during TC or early in the season. I don't think we should trade him for peanuts and pay most of his salary. Not saying I am right. Just my opinion.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

Wyatt Teller comments on Baker Mayfield....

Now at the end of Cleveland’s minicamp, guard Wyatt Teller — who had been Mayfield’s teammate since 2019 — said he’s wishing the quarterback well.

“I want to see him have success wherever he goes,” Teller said on Thursday, via 92.3 The Fan. “There’s a business side and there’s a personal side. The business side gets a little nasty, but the personal side never changes. We’re all a brotherhood.”

Teller also mentioned that Mayfield was “great at throwing on the move” and “moving in the pocket.”

Mayfield played through an injury to his non-throwing shoulder for most of the season. He ended the year having completed 60.5 percent of his passes for 3,010 yards with 17 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. In 2020, Mayfield completed 62.8 percent of his passes for 3,563 yards with 26 touchdowns and only eight interceptions.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-mayfield-have-success-wherever-he-goes/

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Quincy Carrier just ranked Baker at 17th in the NFL yesterday, for what it's worth. He had Watson at 6th. YOu can add one to both of those because he put Brady on top before the numbers started.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 06/17/22 03:15 PM.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

E
Legend
Legend
E
Again its the dead zone. These guys make trade possibilities as in the same mode of making a Mock Draft.

As Baker heals up and football get closer to being a reality...so does his value. All this He's no good and nobody wants him. Yeah it would make our trade look better cause what if Baker is actually good and wins - He did with us in 2020 the year everyone is going gaga on DW from. He will sign somewhere and his history has him playing with a chip on his shoulder and he works hard for his comeback. I hope he does well cause I like the kid. If and when he plays the Browns I hope he loses. ??? Do we open with playing against Carolina. It would benefit the Browns to delay the trade as long as possible making the chance to prepare for that first game less and less???

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
1 member likes this: IrishDawg42
D
Legend
Legend
D

T
Legend
Legend
T
What to do with Baker?
Keep him, Franchise him next year, and play him every drive that starts after 3 minutes of the first "uarter until the end of the 2nd 'uarter of every game.
Or. Vice versa, give him the first 2 or 3 drives starting at the beginning of the 3rd 'uarter.

It's just one of those days.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
IMO I believe we will get more for Baker than most people think. QB's are always at a premium. Most teams reach for college QB's in the draft just for their potential. Many, as we know, don't pan out or should I say most. Baker is a known commodity, albeit with flaws as we all know, but there is talent. He's probably in the top 20-25 in the league. For a team that has below average QB's on their roster or older guys that will need to be replaced in a year or two Baker would be a good option. Like pitching in Baseball someone will pay more because of the position.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Dave

Good news. However, this is the concerning part of the tweet.

"I also know that the process of collecting information and insights into Mayfield is still ongoing."

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

M
Legend
Legend
M
That video is funny.

Baker highlights - a succession of incomplete throws or interceptions. JG highlights - a series of TD's and completed passes.

No matter any person's feelings and opinions on each player - watching the highlights without knowing either QB you'd be left thinking one was possibly the worst QB ever to throw a football in the NFL or the CFL and the other was a bit of a stud.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Thanks for taking one for the team... I figured as much lol.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Analysis from former players is mostly consistent when it comes to Baker and Jimmy G no matter what highlights are used. Denying that only confirms one's bias.

M
Legend
Legend
M
LOL.

I commented on the highlights.
I didn't comment on the former players opinions or comments.

Please don't lie or make false statements that are intended to misrepresent what I post. Thanks

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I am permitted to comment on what players have said about Baker and you have no authority to stop me.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Yes you are. Responding to a posters comment (but not being mature enough to actually respond to the name) with a true statement and saying "denying that only confirms one's bias" is a direct implication that another poster wrote something to deny what you stated. That's not the case.

You can try to manipulate this - but we see the board - we see your words and what you imply.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Always w/the "You" and the "We."

Bullying by posters who don't like a particular message.

I will be very direct. A huge majority of ex-players think that Baker stinks. They question his maturity. The talk about how he struggles in the pocket. I don't care if the "we" crowd likes that or not and making things personal won't change the fact that I can post examples to support my opinion and I don't need others to help me.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Excellent.

On the video you posted - the highlights on the show were exactly as I mentioned. If you didn't know the players and watched those highlights - you'd walk away with the impressions I mentioned before. That's what I commented on and that is a fact.

Legend
Legend
Nobody is bullying you. Grow a set.

Baker doesn't play here. Your endless persistence in proving that everyone who has ever thrown a football is better than him is, well, a little infantile.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Go talk to your "team." The "We" crowd. LMAO

P
Legend
Legend
P
Analysis from former players is mostly consistent when it comes to Baker and Jimmy G no matter what highlights are used. Denying that only confirms one's bias.

Showing that video confirms ones bias.

#gmstrong
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum What to do with Baker

Link Copied to Clipboard