Legend
O
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
He isn't under pressure to carry the offense
Now he is playing for a coach that is in a win now mode
If Carolina can have success on the ground
Then Mayfield can thrive
But Mayfield can't carry the offense

Mayfield was carrying the offense? I mean, if you mean he was the starting QB... then yes... but then he's going to be in the same position as here.

What coaches are NOT in "win now mode"? You think after negotiating the asking price for Mayfield down to peanuts that Rhule is going to sacrifice wins to try to develop Mayfield?

What makes you think Carolina is going to have more success on the ground than we did?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
I’d rather go down in flames with baker...

Have at it.

[Linked Image from thatstorygirl.files.wordpress.com]

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
3 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, CapCity Dawg, Versatile Dog
V
Legend
Legend
V
The Panthers have a message board. Those poor, poor people have no idea what is about to happen on their boards. I feel sad for them, but it's kind of funny at the same time.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by jfanent
I’d rather go down in flames with baker...

Have at it.

[Linked Image from thatstorygirl.files.wordpress.com]

I didn't say this! Don't you put that evil on me! tongue

1 member likes this: oobernoober
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
The Panthers have a message board. Those poor, poor people have no idea what is about to happen on their boards. I feel sad for them, but it's kind of funny at the same time.

I checked them out too just out of curiosity. I read quite a few of their posts and it sounds varied. About 60% appear to feel it is a low risk, possible high reward.

Several are upset that their 3rd pick Matt C won't get reps and the pick was now wasted.

Many think that Baker will do just good enough, to ruin their chance to get a prime QB in next year's draft.

Some think he was a steal and will be a very effective QB and are talking playoffs and Baker is the 2nd best QB in their division.

It made them think they paid way, way, too much for Darnold. Lots of hope they can unload Darnold for draft picks.

Whether I liked Baker or not, I am just glad this part is over. The Browns just can't afford to lose to Carolina week 1.

On a side note, I looked up Jacoby's career numbers and they are pretty similar to Baker's. I never paid that much attention to him, so they are just #s but I was surprised how similar they were. TD/Int rate & completion %age nearly the same. QB rating very close.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The company I work for is headquartered in Raleigh/Durham so there are a lot of Panther fans there. I have spoken to a few today. The response has been "meh." Happy they gave up little, not expecting much.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
Glad it’s done. Thanks for the excitement, a playoff win and good luck to you, Baker, starting in week 2.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I have been waiting for this to happen for a while. Finally getting this done, adding to next year's cap space and giving the Browns some flexibility if some other problems occur. All Positives.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by CapCity Dawg

The company I work for is headquartered in Raleigh/Durham so there are a lot of Panther fans there. I have spoken to a few today. The response has been "meh." Happy they gave up little, not expecting much.

Sounds about right.

Legend
Legend
so is baker gonna beat Darnold in camp to start week 1 coming off of shoulder surgery?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Glad that's behind us now. Good Luck in Carolina Baker!

[Linked Image]

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Next question ... Will the Browns Trade for Jimmy Garoppolo to compete with Brisset if Watson is suspended long term ?

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I

Baker just doesn't move the needle or ignite a fanbase in 2022 .It's like "ok let's hope for the best "
But nobody hurrying to Buy Mayfield Panther jerseys at the team shop

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Swish
so is baker gonna beat Darnold in camp to start week 1 coming off of shoulder surgery?
Yes. No matter your opinion of BM - Darnold is worse imo.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
1 member likes this: CapCity Dawg
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper

Baker just doesn't move the needle or ignite a fanbase in 2022 .It's like "ok let's hope for the best "
But nobody hurrying to Buy Mayfield Panther jerseys at the team shop

Vegas moved the line 3.5 points based on a tweet shared on this board. If you know anything about odds and Vegas - that's an enormous movement of the needle.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mgh888

is he? to be fair to Darnold, he has not played with a talented combination of o-line and weapons that Baker has.

That ain't the browns o-line he's being protected by.

and on the flip side, what would Darnold have looked like with stefanski for 2 years with the same talent that baker had? does he still suck? the same? ....better than? hm...

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
T
Legend
Legend
T
Jimmy Haslam is the worst owner,
and the Browns have the worst front office in all of sports.
Analytics is a curse,
And the proof will be in the wins and losses.

They shouldn't have even considered anything less than a 1st and 2nd round together.

Panthers and Dolphins Super Bowl. Meh.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
M
Legend
Legend
M
My opinion - but Darnold would never have had the same success Baker had with KS 2020. Darnold hasn't had a great opportunity to succeed - but the Browns were 1-31 when Baker started. It's not like we were a good team - they looked PUTRID with Tyrod as the starter, and the change was instant. Panthers are flat bad - on the one hand maybe Baker will have a chip on his shoulder and surprise, but the Panthers (I believe) were ranked as one of the bottom 3 teams in the NFL on more than one Power ranking, Rhule looks bad and clueless and I expect it to be a crap fest.

B
Legend
Legend
B
My opinion - but Darnold would never have had the same success Baker had with KS 2020. Darnold hasn't had a great opportunity to succeed - but the Browns were 1-31 when Baker started. It's not like we were a good team - they looked PUTRID with Tyrod as the starter, and the change was instant. Panthers are flat bad - on the one hand maybe Baker will have a chip on his shoulder and surprise, but the Panthers (I believe) were ranked as one of the bottom 3 teams in the NFL on more than one Power ranking, Rhule looks bad and clueless and I expect it to be a crap fest.

Your opinion is good. I agree, Baker is way better than Darnold.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I guess I'm not a good Browns fan cause I hope Baker kicks our ass game one, Same ol Browns. Guess this is another throw away year. I might give away my tickets and go to the massage palor with DW.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Dawg Duty
I guess I'm not a good Browns fan cause I hope Baker kicks our ass game one, Same ol Browns. Guess this is another throw away year. I might give away my tickets and go to the massage palor with DW.

have fun.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So... the Cleveland Browns basically bet $700,000 that they could still beat the Panthers with Baker.

Savage

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree w/you and Cap. However, I was referring more to just how freaking brutal Baker's fans can be. The Panthers were named "Carolina" because it was supposed to be a shared team between Charlotte, NC and Columbia, SC. The two cities are less than an hour and a half apart. The Panther fans down here [I live in Columbia] are not as rabid as Brown's fans. The fans that frequent their message board are going to be shocked and appalled once the Baker fans start tearing into the team, organization, and fan base.

B
2nd String
2nd String
B

is he? to be fair to Darnold, he has not played with a talented combination of o-line and weapons that Baker has.

and on the flip side, what would Darnold have looked like with stefanski for 2 years with the same talent that baker had? does he still suck? the same? ....better than? hm...

Yeah it’s baker that sucks, along with the 25 browns qbs that sucked before him…or maybe it’s the organization that sucks. I feel fully confident Josh Allen would be in the dumpster now if he had went to Cleveland. And be accurate as well, the oline was beat up all year and they did not have any receiver close to a pro bowl level.

Anyways, the browns at least used to be lovable losers, now they are unlovable, moral-less, sell out losers.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

Your opinion is good. I agree, Baker is way better than Darnold.

I think neither one is the long-term answer for any team and that you will be searching for a new qb w/either one at the helm, but I agree that Baker is better than Darnold.

Legend
Legend
so does carolina have a similar roster on offense that compares to what baker had here?

if we suck, then that means he's about to kill it at carolina, right? he gonna split with Brady or sweep him this season?

- Theodore Roosevelt
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Baker_Dawg

Yeah it’s baker that sucks, along with the 25 browns qbs that sucked before him…or maybe it’s the organization that sucks. I feel fully confident Josh Allen would be in the dumpster now if he had went to Cleveland. And be accurate as well, the oline was beat up all year and they did not have any receiver close to a pro bowl level.

Anyways, the browns at least used to be lovable losers, now they are unlovable, moral-less, sell out losers.

I understand you feel punked and dismayed we traded baker, but are you really surprised? Baker was gone a few months ago.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Dawg Duty

One of the guys I work with is a Browns fan and wears Browns hats and shirts on a daily basis and said the same thing.

I said to him, "do you watch the games and root for Baker, or do you watch the game and root for the Browns ?"

He said " Yeah I root for the Browns "

Everyone has their own feelings and reactions, but as many times I've seen and heard the same statements throughout the years of being a fan, most of the time the person saying this usually comes back and roots for the Team !

There seemed to have been a locker room issue and this move may have been the best thing for the team and Baker.

I feel it's a win win for Baker and the Browns, jmo

Get through your feelings and root for the Browns to start their season off winning, because as Browns fans that's what we all want.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
V
Legend
Legend
V
peen, Baker Dawg was never a Browns fan. He only came here because we drafted Baker. He is just bitter.

V
Legend
Legend
V
so does carolina have a similar roster on offense that compares to what baker had here?

if we suck, then that means he's about to kill it at carolina, right? he gonna split with Brady or sweep him this season?

The Browns have a better roster than Carolina does. All that talk about how bad our coaching and roster was is about to get thrown out w/the trash.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I just thought of something and it's bugging me. They'll be no more Progressive commercials!! Oh My!!! Well, maybe when DW starts playing they can use him. That should be a good public relations move for all parties! willynilly

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 07/06/22 06:21 PM.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
So... the Cleveland Browns basically bet $700,000 that they could still beat the Panthers with Baker.

Savage
It really is pretty messed up.
Being a Browns fan is like taking your dog to the vet every week to be put down. Whoever said that first, they were on to something. frown

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c...

B
2nd String
2nd String
B
peen, Baker Dawg was never a Browns fan. He only came here because we drafted Baker. He is just bitter.

Sure and you stopped being a browns fan and ran off when baker was qb, just your typical hypocrisy. I can start and stop being a fan whenever I like.

Oh and I’m not bitter about baker being traded, thank God he is free of this curse. I am bitter he had to pass through the hell hole that is the browns though.

Ready for week one.

1 member likes this: SuperBrown
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Baker Mayfield trade to Panthers creates awkward scenario with WR Robbie Anderson, OC Ben McAdoo over past comments: ‘Short and with small hands’

Zac Al-Khateeb
2 hours ago

4 min read

The former Browns quarterback not only accepted a roughly $3.5 million pay cut from his 2022 base salary just to get out of Cleveland, but also must engage in awkward meetings with Panthers receiver Robbie Anderson and offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo.

Both Anderson and McAdoo have made less-than-flattering comments about the No. 1 overall pick of the 2018 NFL Draft. Now, their personal success in 2022 may hinge on someone who has good reason to feel slighted by what they said about him.

Let's start with McAdoo, who made his initial comments about Mayfield ahead of the 2018 draft, when he was still head coach of the Giants. In speaking to the New York Post, McAdoo characterized Mayfield as short, small-handed and not a "great athlete."

MORE: Baker Mayfield trade grades: Browns, Panthers both deserve an 'F' for mutually unhelpful deal

"He’s got an edge to him, I like that. He’s gonna lead, they’re gonna follow him,’" McAdoo told the New York Post. "I didn’t see a lot of pro-style football in his college tape. And if you’re short you have to be able to make up for it some way, somehow, and personality doesn’t do that.

I didn’t think he was a great athlete. This guy is kinda like a pocket quarterback that is short and with small hands, that’s what I worry about.

Moreover, McAdoo considered Mayfield the sixth-best quarterback of the draft behind Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Sam Darnold — who will compete with Mayfield for the Panthers' starting QB position — Josh Rosen and Mason Rudolph.

Give credit where it's due, McAdoo was certainly right inasmuch Allen and Jackson are concerned. Darnold has not played particularly well since going No. 3 overall in the 2018 NFL Draft, either with the Jets or Panthers, though that could perhaps be attributable to poor roster situations, at large. Suggesting Rosen and Rudolph were better than Mayfield was laughable, even without the gift of hindsight.

McAdoo's not the only one due for an awkward conversation with Mayfield, though. Anderson, who in 2021 was second on the Panthers in receiving yards (514) and first in receiving touchdowns (five) had this to say to an April report connecting Mayfield to Carolina:

'Nooooo.'

Anderson doubled down, commenting "Facts" to a follow-up Instagram post saying he didn't want Mayfield in Carolina. Anderson on Wednesday responded to those comments, clarifying that he was merely supporting the quarterback currently on his roster, Darnold, who has drawn good reviews throughout spring practices.

Regardless, Mayfield, Anderson and McAdoo all have to move past any potential awkward phases well in advance of the 2022 season. Their success this year could depend on it.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...wkward-comments/o4optvy79fxcdjd2w2vh0rko

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree w/you and Cap. However, I was referring more to just how freaking brutal Baker's fans can be. The Panthers were named "Carolina" because it was supposed to be a shared team between Charlotte, NC and Columbia, SC. The two cities are less than an hour and a half apart. The Panther fans down here [I live in Columbia] are not as rabid as Brown's fans. The fans that frequent their message board are going to be shocked and appalled once the Baker fans start tearing into the team, organization, and fan base.

Oh, I knew where you were coming from. Agree completely.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The Browns have a better roster than Carolina does. All that talk about how bad our coaching and roster was is about to get thrown out w/the trash.

I was thinking the same thing. On one hand, the losses were because of some combination of offensive line, receivers, coaches, defense, and play-calling. On the other hand, the notion that he needed things just right (roster talent, play calling) to be successful has been dismissed.

Baker took this team to the playoffs, anything less in Carolina should be a disappointment, no?

#gmstrong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
A real Browns fan. Guess you are now a troll. Go Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Baker Traded to Carolina

Link Copied to Clipboard