Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
What's concerning is that the WR room lacks explosive playmakers. I just don't see a WR on this team
That can take a shallow quick slant and just outrun the secondary
Gosh,
I hope that isn't the end all be all hope for an NFL offense.
I don't think that should be the goal of a group of Wr's to take a shallow quick slant and outrun the secondary. That! Won't! Work! I thinks.
dang, because I hear this from the podcasts, the same ones that end up being 6 months ahead of cutting Mayfield,
so maybe those podcasts have some info into the brains of the decisions the team makes. frown frown Frown.

A group of WR's in the NFL isn't supposed to live it's whole bread and butter on catching shallow quick slants.
shallow quick slants? Shallow Quick slants are a necessary evil, they are not even what the forward pass is for.
One should be trying to beat the safety deep, and get behind the whole defense and catch a deep dropping bomb for a touchdown, (at least sometimes!!!) 3-4-5 attempts per game.

Shallow quick slants and outrun the entirety of the NFL defense? In the NFL? really? what do they think this is the USFL?
The NFL has spent hundreds of hundreds of people, giving their whole careers, to preventing that, and they are the best in the world at making sure shallow quick slants don't end up outrunning the whole defense.
(OK, not the whole defense, just the secondary. ) But the LB's and DL's are never behind shallow quick slants?
The Browns often throw shallow quick slants so shallow that they are still behind the line of scrimmage when caught.
I don't get the thinking.
That should not be the goal, that should not be the goal. The Forward pass, travels through the air for a reason, it's not a glorified pitch or handoff.
No wonder this team hasn't been to a Super Bowl since they became super bowls.
Super Bowl teams, can pass the ball deep, they don't make the staple of their diet shallow anything.
Not even the Peyton Manning Broncos, who worked mid level stuff. Not even the Thurman Thomas Bills, I mean, sure they beat the dolphins in a playoff game on screen passes alone, but, they still had Andre ? as a deep threat they used.
Shallow quick slants are not the goal
Shallow quick slants can not be the goal. A team will not be great if it cannot pass the ball downfield at least sometimes.
I just presented a example of a very basic route that is the simplest
In the route tree to execute. It's a bang bang play . When was the last time
You saw a Browns WR take a,simple slant and out run the secondary
For 40 plus yards ? Or take a pass, secure it and get massive yds after catch.?
The Browns WRs simply at the moment lack a target That is dangerous
After the catch

V
Legend
Legend
V
FYI: It was the Baker fan club that introduced Baker into this thread.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Lol, wasn’t I. It’s just ridiculous that people use threads to throw in their piece about Baker OR DW when they have nothing to do with the discussion.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
E
Legend
Legend
E
Wont go into detail cause the kid is no longer a Brown. But he was a better QB than most of you think. I also still think the trade was one of the worst in NFL history. Jordan Davis, Garrett, Clowney...you win championships with DEFENSE.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by eotab
Wont go into detail cause the kid is no longer a Brown. But he was a better QB than most of you think. I also still think the trade was one of the worst in NFL history. Jordan Davis, Garrett, Clowney...you win championships with DEFENSE.

jmho
The trading of Paul Warfield to the Dolphins in 1969
Was a far worse trade.

The 2011 trade of the 6th pick of the draft to the Falcons
For 27,59,124 and 1st RD pick in 2011
Was much much worse

I think if you look at the worst trades in NFL history
The Watson trade doesn't make.the top 5

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
FYI: It was the Baker fan club that introduced Baker into this thread.

Does jfanet know he's in the Baker fan club? Or did you just tell another un-truth?

2 members like this: FATE, PitDAWG
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Receiver Position

Link Copied to Clipboard