Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#1958057 07/22/22 08:07 AM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Camp opens today for rookies. Vets report on Tuesday, the 26th. I thought it would be nice to have a thread for TC news. I'll get the party started.

Most intriguing training camp storylines

The Browns are built to win now

By Barry Shuck Jul 22, 2022, 7:21am EDT 0 Comments

Despite all of the negative publicity Cleveland has received since trading for QB Deshaun Watson, the media has been realistic about what the Browns have built. On paper, they appear to be a playoff contender.

The timing is right because there are numerous contracts which will need to be dealt with after this season to which not every player will return next year. But for now, winning ways are a certainty.

Training camp begins July 22nd for rookies with the remainder of the players reporting July 26th.

The offensive line is completely healthy including key backups such as Chris Hubbard. The cornerback position will rival the O-Line as the premier unit on this squad whereas Cleveland’s running back group is a three-headed monster. TE David Njoku has a new contract and is the clear TE1 plus the special teams units have been totally revamped with the exception of the always steady Charley Hughlett at longsnapper.

Other than the quarterback position, there are quite a few storylines that will be quite interesting for the duration of training camp. Here are our favorites.

Is Amari Cooper still an elite receiver?
To some, Cooper was obtained from the Dallas Cowboys a bit too cheap when they traded the receiver for a fifth and sixth round pick. The Cowboys also sent a sixth round draft pick in the process. The question loomed? Why? Why trade away their WR1?

Cooper has gone to four Pro Bowls and posted over 1,000-yards five of his seven NFL seasons. After two consecutive years with over 1,000-yards in 2019 and 2020, last year he had just 865 with eight touchdowns. For the former SEC Offensive Player of the Year, that was his lowest production since he became a Cowboy.

Dallas was about to pay Cooper $20 million for a player whose numbers had dropped every year in Dallas. Maybe it was the scheme, or the quarterback, but regardless his stats just weren’t worth the money he was due and so the Cowboys shipped him off.

Now that he is with the Browns, can he become that elite possession receiver once again?

Jarvis Landry, the former WR1, is now gone to which Cooper has taken on that role. Cleveland is a running team, so the coaching staff is not requiring the veteran to put up staggering numbers but instead be a dependable target and gain first downs when called upon. He gained 1,189-yards in his first season with Dallas, so the talent is definitely there.

If Cooper can regain any symbolical of a WR1, then what little the Browns traded away will be worth it. He is only 28 years old. While with Dallas he had 27 receiving touchdowns. He made the Pro Bowl just two seasons ago.

Cooper also adds veteran leadership and is a very good downfield blocker with sure hands.

Can Nick Harris win the starting center spot?
Releasing veteran J.C. Tretter was not a good day in Berea. But with every decision is a plan behind it. The Browns believe that Nick Harris can compete and fill that position with confidence.

Harris is a former fifth round pick who has played quite a few positions along the offensive line when called upon once the injury bug and COVID protocols have kicked in. He has been playing center since high school. At Washington, he was named First Team All-Pac 12 both his junior and senior years as a center.

He has had some injury issues since becoming a Brown including a knee injury plus some hamstring issues. But he has versatility and a strong work ethic in his toolbox and is going into training camp with the mindset that the job is his if he works hard enough for it as his apprenticeship under Tretter is officially complete.

Over everything else, Harris is steady and consistent. He is just 23 years old and although he has been thrust into both guard and tackle positions in actual games, he has also gotten quite a few snaps at center mostly in the pre-season. He possesses a good array of timing plus is a disciplined blocker with a knack for run blocking.

He will have stiff competition from veteran Ethan Pocic so do not think this position has been gift-wrapped. And with Deshaun Watson and Jacoby Brissett working in the facilities this past few months, Harris has been able to gain some chemistry with the two.

Can he contribute? Immediately.

How will the defensive tackle position look on opening day?
Two years in a row, both starting defensive tackles were not re-signed which has meant that two years in a row both starting positions are up for grabs.

The best bet is veteran Taven Bryan, a former first round draft pick who has needed a new opportunity to show that is worthy of the praise he received at some point.

Who will win the other spot is a logjam. The most obvious is Jordan Elliott, a former third round pick of the Browns who has been waiting his turn. But last season was supposed to be Elliott’s shining moment to become the starter which went to the two Maliks instead. Each season Elliott has regressed and in fact last year was given fewer snaps as the season wore down.

Also in the mix is Tommy Togiai who could just become the starter. Unlike Elliott, Togiai’s snap count increased as the season rolled along. He is a hustler and seems to be ready to jump into Year 2 and claim that spot. His motor never stops and he doesn’t quit on plays ever. A hard worker who has a real shot of starting.

Others in the shuffle include rookie fourth rounder Perrion Winfrey (when he finally signs), veteran Sheldon Day, plus undrafted free agents Roderick Perry and Glen Logan. The recently-signed Isaac Rochell has also played defensive tackle although he is considered a rotational defensive end.

Will K Cade York come as advertised?
You don’t often see a kicker being drafted higher than the fifth, sixth or seventh rounds. So when the Browns took York with the 124th pick in Round 4, there were a lot of eye brows raised.

Not that York doesn’t deserve the high marks. He does. He was the best kicker in this year’s draft and GM Andrew Berry was tired of going through kickers who came out of the gate strong but faltered as the season rolled towards the finish.

Kickers score points. They elevate the scoreboard. And the game remains whichever club has the highest points at the final gun is proclaimed the winner.

One of Berry’s priorities this past off-season was to make sure that special teams were vastly improved.

Last season Cleveland ranked last in the NFL on conversion rates on field goals at 72.7%.

York has a very strong leg and can nail kicks outside the 50-yard line. This may eliminate some of the plays in which you can’t punt and the yardage needed on fourth down is a bit too far.

The Browns have drafted highly-touted kickers in the past who did not pan out. In 2017 Zane Gonzalez of Arizona State was the Groza Award winner, an Unanimous All-American plus broke the record for most points scored in a college career. He also kicked three field goals of 50+ in a single game which tied a record. Cleveland selected Gonzalez in the seventh round to which he lasted one year plus two games into his second season.

Two years later, the Browns picked Oklahoma kicker Austin Seibert in the fifth round. He was a First Team All-Big 12 and kicked the most career points in FBS history with 499. Yet, he was released after a Week 1 loss into his second season as well.

York has been named First Team All-SEC plus Second Team All-American. Hopefully he can replicate his college success at the next level instead of being dumped onto the highly acclaimed past kickers pile.

So far in the various camps the Browns have held York has impressed. Let’s keep that going.

Who will win WR3?
The answer to this will come after who will win WR2. Right now, that should be Donovan Peoples-Jones.

With the third receiver spot, do not for one second think this will become an easy decision. There are numerous qualified contenders.

Who sticks out the most is veteran free agent Javon Wims. He has good size (6’-2”, 221 pounds) with good hands. He needs more experience in that he has played in 33 games with just seven starts. He can be that big presence with long arms to box out defenders.

The next best option to watch is third round pick David Bell. Considered a playmaker, suddenly he was labeled as a slow playmaker with his 40 time of 4.65. But make no mistake he is a polished receiver with a ton of college starts. Bell had his best season to date with 93 receptions for 1,286 yards with six touchdowns last year. He also had 39 rushing yards on three carries and is a very good downfield blocker. In his three years at Purdue, he had 29 starts.

Bell was a well-known receiver that shined in the Big 10 Conference.

Anthony Schwartz had a year in which his rookie numbers were not impressive, but comes into camp looking to improve. There will be a lot of pressure on Schwartz to prove he is more than just a speed guy. Like Bell, he was also a third round pick. Teams expect third round selections to produce sooner than later. Schwartz is not a return man, so receiver on jet sweeps plus catches are his only ways to contribute.

Ja’Marcus Bradley is a player that has hung around and keeps getting called up. He runs a 4.48 40 and has good hands as well. He has a limited sample base but has NFL game experience.

The Browns also selected Michael Woods in the sixth round to compete. Among Woods’ attributes include his physique, work ethic, smart, arm length, a crisp route runner and able to disguise his route breaks. His weaknesses are tight hips, a one-speed route runner and not very elusive against press coverage.

Others include Mike Harley, Jr., Jakeem Grant (also a kick returner), Demetric Felton (also a kick returner), Isaiah Weston and Travell Harris.

What role will Chase Winovich have?
The Browns depth chart on April 13 listed Myles Garrett and Chase Winovich as starting defensive ends. The following day, that list was changed to Garrett and Jadeveon Clowney.

Winovich came to the Browns in a player-for-player swap with New England that sent LB Mack Wilson in exchange for the pass rusher Winovich.

Winovich the rookie did not have any starts, but played in all 16 games. He eventually was able to get in on the defensive line rotation to which he had 5.5 sacks and 26 total tackles along with 10 QB hits plus four tackles for loss. His second season he started nine games on the defense with 48 total tackles with 5.5 sacks.

Through the first nine games of his rookie campaign, he had matched his scouting report. Year 3 was supposed to be his breakout year, but he began training camp on the PUP list with an undisclosed injury. Winovich returned to action in August.

However, things did not go as planned for both Winovich and the defense. Through the first six games, he had just seven tackles, one quarterback hit and zero sacks in 78 defensive snaps. His greatest contribution was on special teams as he played snaps in the kicking game.

Winovich then suffered a hamstring injury in the second half of the Week 6 matchup against Dallas. Winovich limped to the locker room and was listed as questionable to return then ruled out. Two days later he was placed on IR.

Right now the prognosis is that Winovich will allow Clowney the opportunity to rest and be energized while at the same time bring in a high-motor guy. On the other side, rookie third rounder Alex Wright will be Garrett’s substitute. This will give the defense some fresh legs at all times.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2022/7/22/23272230/most-intriguing-training-camp-storylines

O
Legend
Legend
O
I forgot we grabbed a vet center. I doubt he was brought in for an actual competition for starter, but you never know. The article stated it well, Harris' apprenticeship is now complete.

It's definitely something that gets your blood pressure up, but I think we may end up liking the Browns' approach to the WR position (buy low, sell high). We should have the run game and the QB play to make it so those guys get their looks vs having to win on their own talent. I think I'll have to up my game in terms of knowing my team. We need to watch guys who aren't household names and really pay attention to see who's gonna be getting major time on Sundays.

My understanding was the Jordan Elliott was slowed by injuries and we're expecting an uptick in performance from him. Is that not true?

Do we have a 20 on Conklin?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
https://www.brownsnation.com/browns-nation-news-and-notes-7-22-22/

Conklin was NOT on the PUP list as of today.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Good news about Conklin.

I don't know much about Elliot, but he hasn't impressed me at all when I've watched him. Maybe there were extenuating circumstances?

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Good news about Conklin.

I don't know much about Elliot, but he hasn't impressed me at all when I've watched him. Maybe there were extenuating circumstances?

I don't know near as much about the different roles of the DT as do you and others...that said...I recollect that Elliot was initially thought of as more of a penetrator than run-stopper. (I could be mistaken about that.) But he is now reportedly up to 305-ish lbs. So...I dunno.

I fear he is neither penetrator nor run-stopper...I think Togiai may be that as well. We picked up (2) UDFA DTs - and gave one some real money - who read more like run-stoppers.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by oobernoober
https://www.brownsnation.com/browns-nation-news-and-notes-7-22-22/

Conklin was NOT on the PUP list as of today.

I'd bet that he will be before Monday though. He's a vet who won't do much in early TC anyway. I think he can workout, just not practice while on PUP. If so, that will give the coaches some time to see how he's moving. (And yes...I just won today's Captain Obvious Award.)

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I haven't studied Elliot enough to speak w/authority. I just didn't like how he struggled to get off of blocks, but again, I really haven't watched him closely.

Here are his PFF numbers:

Pass rush: 50.9
Run defense: 45.0
Overall: 41.6

All of those numbers are really poor. The overall grade is 102nd of 109 ranked D-tackles.

Damn!

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Winfrey has signed, so it will be nice to see what we've got with pads on. Watson overshadows all- NFL, get it done. Go Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Last edited by Milk Man; 07/22/22 12:12 PM. Reason: More information.
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Pdawg

I always forget all about "abundance of caution" season so these posts/tweets get me a couple times around this time each year.

-PrplPplEater
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

1 member likes this: DaveyD
Legend
Legend
lots and lots of upside, neh?

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
This does not sound like a big deal but it can be.

Schwartz was a third rounder. He missed time early. He never truly caught up. We are thin at this position. Bell is being counted on.

I do not like counting on a rookie third rounder.

We also have the uncertainty of DW. Camp reps by the quarterback may need to be spread around with 3 quarterbacks.

I hope a decision on DW is made soon. Camp is near and there is a lot of "new" things going on on offense.

1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
Good news about Conklin and Winfrey. We’ll need both as I don’t like the depth at either spot.

Hopefully Bell will be back very soon … can’t miss much time as a rook

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Legend
Legend
T
Expecting an "uptick" from Jordan Elliott is a non-starter.

That is the nicest I can be, the nicest I can be after 3 attempts. banghead

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
As long as Berry and Depo are in charge, the team will not have the solid toughness of a real team. They are too lienent and accepting of players whose upsides are guys who just aren't the toughest, and best in crunch time. And the whole game comes down to crunch times, therefore, the Browns are not built to win now. Analytics is tearing down the Browns' success and that vacuums.
Plus, the camp is treated as too easy. Abundance of rest time? how is that going to translate into wins in the crunch times of games. boo
Boo because they could do so much better.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Why should we have ANY expectation that Nick Harris would ever be a starter in the NFL, or any good as one.
He was a 5th round pick, and after all this time he is still just 23? Is that right?
23 is the age of rookies, for most of the NFL's history. And an old adage applies, 2 adages, one, Rookies aren't anything special in the NFL. and 2. You only go into battle with Old Men.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
As long as Berry and Depo are in charge, the team will not have the solid toughness of a real team. They are too lienent and accepting of players whose upsides are guys who just aren't the toughest, and best in crunch time. And the whole game comes down to crunch times, therefore, the Browns are not built to win now. Analytics is tearing down the Browns' success and that vacuums.
Plus, the camp is treated as too easy. Abundance of rest time? how is that going to translate into wins in the crunch times of games. boo
Boo because they could do so much better.

Booooo. Boo Wendy. Boo Wendy Testaburger. Boo.

Boo Wendy. Boooooo. Boo Wendy.

Boo Wendy Testaburger. Boooooo. Boo Wendy. Liar.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
L
Legend
Legend
L
I think DT, WR, and LB will be our undoing.. we didn't do much there and we needed to

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
I’m concerned with those positions as well. Not as much WR because I think Cooper will be an upgrade outside

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Legend
Legend
T
If Jacob Phillips plays and stays healthy, where is the weakness at Linebacker?
Linebacker, should be one of the teams strong points, if only they would have average DL play in front of them.

L
Legend
Legend
L
If Jacob Phillips plays and stays healthy, where is the weakness at Linebacker?
Linebacker, should be one of the teams strong points, if only they would have average DL play in front of them.

Phillips rates as one of the worst in the league and is always hurt. He's a bust at this point. He would have to take a very large step forward, and taki taki and walker are the very definition of meh.. JOK is good but I worry about his durability and size. We are still weak in the middle, both LB and DT

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
I’m concerned with those positions as well. Not as much WR because I think Cooper will be an upgrade outside
Cooper is excellent, but who else do we have ? a track guy playing WR with stone hands, DPJ who was absolute trash last year and an already hurt Bell? I have to think we don't go into the season without some upgrades at these positions. I guess it depends on Watson, if he's suspended then no sense in making moves as you aren't winning with Brissett and the ilk, but if its just a few games, you still have a chance to make some noise and push. Kind of over a barrel at this point until the fake "arbiter" makes her "ruling" so then the nfl can do what they want anyways.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Just a general comment.

I think we are beaching about not having a perfect team with all-pro's at every position.

I'll take this roster over any that we have had since 99. I remember when we took CB Leon McFadden when the next pick was the Honey Badger. I knew right then and there we sucked.

Short memories some of us have.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Why should we have ANY expectation that Nick Harris would ever be a starter in the NFL, or any good as one.
He was a 5th round pick, and after all this time he is still just 23? Is that right?
23 is the age of rookies, for most of the NFL's history. And an old adage applies, 2 adages, one, Rookies aren't anything special in the NFL. and 2. You only go into battle with Old Men.

Nick Harris was already rated highly and was praised at Washington for his technical skills, which is where rookies typically struggle. His main knock was his size, as he is on the smaller side for an NFL lineman. He is young, but he isn't a rookie, so don't even try that comparison. He has started some games, and he looked not great his first start, but he looked much better in the rest.

He may never be an All Pro, but with the rest of the guys on the line, he may not need to be. And Tretter hasn't exactly been sought after either. He plays well, but he is one of the guys that never practices.

Legend
Legend
So right you are.

We have the roster to compete at a high level. Now begins the task of making them a team.

We do have areas of concern like DL interior and receiver. However, those positions will be watched closely.

Every team has area of concern.

Until we actually see guys with pads on and find about some players. We are in the dark. We have players who are going to compete for reps.

We shall see who wins those reps.

Legend
Legend
This is a Jacoby highlight tape. Not all the tape or the lowlight tape.

However, I feel pretty good about Jocoby. He has experience. He is a big guy who can run. He throws a nice ball.

He may not be Aaron Rodgers but I have seen guys who were way worse and started in the NFL. He may not be a guy who will crazy good plays on his own.

But IMO he will make the plays that are there. We do have guys that can run the ball. We have enough talent on the Browns to remain competitive if Jacoby is in there.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Predicting Browns' Top NFL Training Camp Breakout Players
JAKE RILL
JULY 25, 2022

There should be no shortage of storylines to follow at Cleveland Browns training camp this summer. From the quarterback situation to position battles to the implementation of a new rookie class, practices will likely be interesting to track.

It all begins Tuesday, which is the mandatory report date for all Browns players. However, rookies have already shown up at CrossCountry Mortgage Campus, as the report date for first-year players was last Friday.

After Cleveland ended an 18-year playoff drought in 2020, it went 8-9 and missed the postseason last year. If the Browns are going to get back to the playoffs in 2022, they'll likely need some young players to step up and fill bigger roles while continuing their progression.

Here's a look at several players who could be the breakout performers of the Browns' training camp.

Donovan Peoples-Jones, WR
1 OF 3

Cleveland went out and traded for Amari Cooper to be its No. 1 wide receiver for the 2022 season. Beyond that, it's not clear what the order will be on the receiving depth chart, with a host of younger or less proven players set to compete for time in camp.

One wide receiver who could seize a starting role is Donovan Peoples-Jones, who showed improvement from his 2020 rookie season to his 2021 sophomore campaign. Last year, he had 34 catches for 597 yards and three touchdowns in 14 games.

There could be even better performances on the horizon from the 23-year-old. It should help that he'll likely be on the opposite side of the field from Cooper, who is sure to draw plenty of attention from opposing defenses.

Peoples-Jones needs a strong training camp to stand out in the crowded group behind Cooper. But considering how well he's fared in his first two NFL seasons, that seems likely to happen.

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB
2 OF 3

After a solid rookie season in 2021, Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah is now poised to take a big step forward. Throughout last year, he showed the type of talent he possesses, and he could be a young linebacker to watch in the NFL this year.

"I think he has had a good offseason," Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski said, per Anthony Poisal of the team's official site. "He is working very hard as he does. Like any sophomore, there is hopefully a step that just comes from a greater understanding of what we are doing schematically, greater use of technique and those type of things. He is working hard."

In 14 games last season, the 22-year-old recorded 76 tackles, 1.5 sacks and two forced fumbles. He began to play a larger percentage of snaps in the second half of the year as he became more comfortable in the defense.

It will be intriguing to see how Owusu-Koramoah continues his development at training camp. With a strong showing, he should solidify his starting spot at outside linebacker and potentially become a breakout defensive player this season.

Grant Delpit, S
3 OF 3

Grant Delpit's NFL career got off to a slow start.

The 2020 second-round draft pick suffered a torn Achilles tendon during his first training camp and missed the entire season. He then dealt with a hamstring issue in his second camp ahead of the 2021 campaign.

Delpit finally got on to the field for the Browns in Week 2 of last season, and he went on to play 15 games, showing the potential he has to be a strong defensive back at the top of Cleveland's secondary. He recorded 66 tackles, one interception, one sack and one forced fumble, and he also made seven starts.

Now that the 23-year-old is healthy, he should only get better from here. That will especially be the case if the safety can fully prepare for the upcoming season.

As long as Delpit can do that, he should impress this summer. And that will likely lead to the best season of his NFL career thus far.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...s-top-nfl-training-camp-breakout-players

B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't hold much hope for DPJ, but here to to hope!

I agree on the others. Another I think can break out is Harrison Bryant. I would expect he will be the 2nd TE and should see a substantial increase in targets. I wouldn't be surprised if he supplants Njoke as the #1 TE.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
In the Surprise Player thread I mentioned Delpit and the Chief.

DPJ and JOK are ready for prime time.

I truly believe that JOK could become one of the best defensive players in the game.

DPJ I want to see with DW. I felt DPJ was ruined last year by bad qb play. I expect him to step up this year.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Just a general comment.

I think we are beaching about not having a perfect team with all-pro's at every position.

I'll take this roster over any that we have had since 99. I remember when we took CB Leon McFadden when the next pick was the Honey Badger. I knew right then and there we sucked.

Short memories some of us have.

Very much agree with you. We have some of the top (or top 10) players at the key positions and they are either young or just entering their prime. We have never had that since 99 and very few teams currently can say that about their rosters.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by bonefish
In the Surprise Player thread I mentioned Delpit and the Chief.

DPJ and JOK are ready for prime time.

I truly believe that JOK could become one of the best defensive players in the game.

DPJ I want to see with DW. I felt DPJ was ruined last year by bad qb play. I expect him to step up this year.

Delpit is the one I am looking at (hoping) will make a big jump.

Legend
Legend

BrownsZone with Scott Petrak
NEWSFEATURESANALYSISNOTESMAILBAGON THE AIRVIDEONEWSLETTERABOUT SCOTTTHE CHRONICLETHE GAZETTE
CONNECT WITH US
Search
CONNECT WITH US
ANALYSISTraining Camp Preview: 5 storylines to watchby Scott PetrakJuly 23, 2022

The annual anticipation for Browns training camp has been accompanied — and often overshadowed — by angst over the lack of a decision regarding a potential Deshaun Watson suspension.

Full-squad practice starts Wednesday in Berea, and independent arbitrator Sue L. Robinson has yet to rule on whether Watson violated the NFL’s personal conduct policy and if he’ll be suspended after more than two dozen women accused him of sexual misconduct during massage therapy sessions. A suspension is expected — the Browns knew this when they made the controversial trade for Watson in March — but the team’s fortunes could hinge on whether he misses six games or fewer rather than the majority or all of the season.

Training Camp Preview: 5 players to watch

The Browns, and their fans, want a verdict as quickly as possible so they can prepare for the 17-game season accordingly. But Robinson is working on her own schedule and may not rule before camp despite getting the final briefs from the attorneys for the league and Watson on July 12.

ADVERTISEMENT
The importance of Watson can’t be overstated, but the season will go on regardless of his availability. Here are five other storylines to watch during camp:

A DIFFERENT LOOK

Regardless of what happens with Watson, someone new will be playing quarterback this year.

Baker Mayfield (Carolina) and Case Keenum (Buffalo) were traded and Nick Mullens (Las Vegas) was allowed to leave in free agency during a busy offseason at the position. Watson was acquired from the Texans, and Jacoby Brissett, Josh Rosen and Josh Dobbs signed as free agents. Brissett would replace Watson to start the season, with Rosen the likely backup.

The drop-off from Watson would be significant, but the Browns have had months to put together a contingency plan. It starts with their trust in Brissett.

Complicating matters is how the offense must shift depending on who’s at quarterback. Coach and play caller Kevin Stefanski had already changed his playbook to capitalize on Watson’s skill set — more three-wideout sets, run-pass options and designed runs — and he would have to adapt again with Brissett running the show.

Brissett is powerful as a runner but doesn’t have the athleticism of Watson, which is obvious in designed runs and Houdini-like escapes from the pass rush. Brissett, with a career-best 3,098 yards in 2017, also has never put up the prolific passing numbers of Watson, who led the NFL with 4,823 yards in 2020.

Stefanski and coordinator Alex Van Pelt would likely turn to the ground attack, relying on running backs Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt. Brissett fits that style, as he’s shown he can manage a game and protect the ball with a career 36-to-17 touchdown-to-interception ratio.

The game plan would open up if and when Watson returns this season and feels comfortable, another test of Stefanski’s creativity and flexibility.

David Bell placed on PUP list with foot injury

THE HEAVY LIFTING

The run game as the engine of the offense only works with a strong defense capable of winning close games.

The Browns look like they have just that.

The defense ranked 13th in scoring (21.8 points per game) and fifth in yards (311.5) last year. It took a big jump over the second half of the season — 18.6 points a game over the last seven — and returns most of the key contributors, including all the top players. So expectations are that it will take another step and carry the Browns if necessary.

Defensive end Myles Garrett has become a perennial Defensive Player of the Year candidate and is the betting favorite to break through and win the award this season. Jadeveon Clowney finally agreed to return as a free agent, giving the Browns a second season of starting ends who were No. 1 overall draft picks.

Linebacker Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah consistently showed his playmaking ability when healthy last year and will be given more responsibility by coordinator Joe Woods in Year 2. Owusu-Koramoah should play even faster as he runs sideline to sideline and blitzes from the second level.

“I definitely feel more confident this year,” Woods said in June when asked about Owusu-Koramoah.

Anthony Walker Jr. quickly established himself as a leader last year and is back on another one-year deal. He could be the starter at middle linebacker, or insurance if Jacob Phillips, who missed significant time with injuries in his first two years, wins the job.

The secondary is the strongest of the three levels.

Cornerback Denzel Ward signed a $100 million extension in the offseason and is expected to be fine after suffering a foot injury in the final practice of minicamp in June. He leads a talented corner group that includes Greg Newsome II, Greedy Williams, rookie Martin Emerson Jr. and A.J. Green.

The only question is depth in the slot. Newsome will be asked to play inside in three-receiver sets after veteran Troy Hill was traded during the draft, and there is no clear-cut Plan B.

The team got a pleasant surprise when safety Ronnie Harrison Jr. returned after not having a big market in free agency. Harrison slumped last year but joins John Johnson III and Grant Delpit to give Woods the three safeties he needs to run his preferred dime package.

RETURN TO HEALTH

The Browns are desperate for right tackle Jack Conklin to be 100 percent and back to his All-Pro form.

The pass protection last season suffered when Conklin missed time with injuries early then suffered a season-ending patellar tendon tear in November. He had surgery and spent the offseason rehabbing. He may open camp on the physically unable to perform list, but the team is optimistic he’ll be ready at or near the start of the season.

“I think he’s rehabbing extremely hard and I’m excited to see him back on the field,” line coach Bill Callhan told The Chronicle-Telegram. “And the reason I say that is because a lot of guys coming off a rehab that he’s going through actually come off better and stronger than otherwise. So if that holds true, I think we have a better Jack.

“I’m excited to see him come back. You can never have enough Jack Conklins.”

Conklin is in the last year of a three-year deal signed as a free agent in 2020. He was an All-Pro as a rookie in 2015 with the Titans and in his first year with the Browns.

The Browns like their tackle depth better this season with veteran Chris Hubbard back from a torn pectoral and James Hudson III entering Year 2, but the line isn’t the same without Conklin.

Left tackle Jedrick Wills Jr. knows he has to be better this season — and expects to be

LET’S MAKE A DEAL

The bottom of the 90-man roster always churns during camp, as players flame out and injuries require replacements. This year has the potential to include a few headline-making trades or signings.

Despite the signing of Rosen on Friday, another quarterback addition can’t be ruled out if Watson is suspended for eight games or more. If that happens and Jimmy Garoppolo is cut by the 49ers to avoid paying his $25.6 million salary, the Browns could pursue him as a starting option.

The situation is flipped at running back. The Browns have a glut of quality players, including rookie fifth-round pick Jerome Ford, and will likely trade one before the season.

D’Ernest Johnson makes the most sense. He opened eyes across the league last year when he filled in for Chubb and Hunt and could fit nicely as a No. 2 somewhere else. He’s entering the final year of his contract, as is Hunt, who remains more valuable to the Browns.

General manager Andrew Berry should be able to get a player at a position of need or a draft pick in exchange for Johnson.

The other spots to watch are receiver and defensive tackle. Berry added pieces at both spots during the offseason, yet questions remain. If second-year receiver Anthony Schwartz and third-year defensive tackle Jordan Elliott don’t meet expectations, Berry could go in search of proven veterans.

Defensive tackle is the one real concerning spot on the defense, and Berry shouldn’t let it sabotage the rest of the star-studded unit.

CHANGING COURSE

The special teams underwent an overhaul in the offseason, so coordinator Mike Priefer will use camp and the three preseason games to make sure the new pieces are ready to produce the necessary improvement.

Rookie kicker Cade York is the signature addition. The fourth-round pick won’t face competition for the job, so he’ll use the next seven weeks to prepare for the season and kicking in tricky FirstEnergy Stadium. That doesn’t mean there won’t be pressure this summer, as every kick will be scrutinized.

The Browns also signed Pro Bowler Jakeem Grant Sr. to jump-start the return game and will have a punting competition between newcomers Corey Bojorquez and Joseph Charlton.

Priefer’s units have been fundamentally sound and solid in coverage during his three-year tenure, but they’ve failed to make big plays and swing games. The additions should help change that.

And like the running game and defense, everyone must pitch in to win games if Watson isn’t on the field.