Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
P
Legend
Legend
P
We all know the issue with watson's contract, which in no way compares to that of Murray's, is that it's fully guaranteed. Murry's isn't even close to that. It also fails to compare in another way. Watson is considered to be a top 10 QB. That means there is now precedent, which you seem to rely on so much, that other top NFL QB's will be demanding and using that precedent in order to get such fully guaranteed contracts in the future.

I agree with those who feel they overpaid for Murray because he hasn't shown himself to be in the range of a top NFL QB. And nobody can say for sure if the rest of the NFL is that upset with the Browns/watson deal. But there is certainly a reason why that may be true. Especially those facing upcoming negotiations with top tier QB's.

But never allow facts to get in the way.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FrankZ
Does the entire NFL hate AZ now?

Baltimore does!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I can't see Lamar signing a contract for anything lass than 5 years $250 million fully guaranteed.
He might because he doesn't have an a real agent but he shouldn't.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

I'm dry heaving.

Legend
Legend
Desperate? Why? Did Berry lose a bet?

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Jester
I can't see Lamar signing a contract for anything lass than 5 years $250 million fully guaranteed.
He might because he doesn't have an a real agent but he shouldn't.

Has Lamar hired an agent, or is his mother still negotiating for him?

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Lamar has not hired an agent. Baltimore desperately wants to sign him, but negotiations can get rough. Hard to tell a player to his face what his deficiencies are. The crazy thing is that Lamar is actually going to end up being the highest paid player because of him not having an agent and this process taking so long. LOL

O
Legend
Legend
O
Baker>Murray. Lamar is going to get paid or leave.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 07/21/22 08:49 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I put Mayfield and Murray in the same bracket. Not sure one is better than the other except on some day that one just does better.

Lamar is gonna get paid... I cannot see Ravens letting him walk, they will franchise if they have to.

Legend
Legend
I put Mayfield and Murray in the same bracket. Not sure one is better than the other except on some day that one just does better.

One got paid and the other had to pay to play.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm aware of that.

If Baker can get on the field and play without injury he'll get paid too. I don't think the money is really saying Murray is that great, he a competent QB that has stayed mostly available and won some clutch games. The price just keeps going up for that.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c...

I'm dry heaving.

As I explained in another thread, I think this is more about having a back-up in place after this season. Rosen is a classic back-up QB.

Brissett will probably win the starting job if Watson loses time, but you never know. Whichever way that works out, the guy who starts will have the tape to seek a starting gig somewhere else. Whoever sits will be primed to signing a 3 year deal with us as our back-up to Watson moving forward.

Rosen may not have the chops to be a starter, but I think he has the chops to stay in the league as a back-up for another 12 years.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by jfanent

The other will be PAID $15MM whether he makes the team or not...that's not "pay-to-play".

One had a $250 MM guaranteed-deal QB that the team just pulled down their pants for...completely destroying the market for their former starting QB with a $18.9MM guaranteed deal...the other team had nothing behind their QB other than THE Colt McCoy.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by WSU Willie

The other will be PAID $15MM whether he makes the team or not...that's not "pay-to-play".

When you have 18m in your pocket and you give away 3 million so the other team takes you, it absolutely is pay to play.

One had a $250 MM guaranteed-deal QB that the team just pulled down their pants for...completely destroying the market for their former starting QB with a $18.9MM guaranteed deal...the other team had nothing behind their QB other than THE Colt McCoy.

The Browns didn't destroy the market for Baker. If any team thought that he could be their starting qb, 18m/yr is not a lot of money. Nobody wanted him. I think the Cards made a mistake paying Murray all that cash.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Browns didn't destroy the market for Baker. If any team thought that he could be their starting qb, 18m/yr is not a lot of money. Nobody wanted him.

Correct. Had a 2nd team been interested, then he would not have been obtained so cheaply.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

When you have 18m in your pocket and you give away 3 million so the other team takes you, it absolutely is pay to play.

The Browns didn't destroy the market for Baker. If any team thought that he could be their starting qb, 18m/yr is not a lot of money. Nobody wanted him. I think the Cards made a mistake paying Murray all that cash.

Did Baker write a check to play? Yes or no is the only response that matters. The Browns left themselves with absolutely ZERO leverage in dealing Baker. They are paying him nearly $11MM to PLAY for someone else. That's what happens when you destroy the market for something you wish to sell.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
This isn't a Baker thread. You guys can start one if you wish.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
This isn't a Baker thread. You guys can start one if you wish.

Your computer should explode when you make posts like that.

1 member likes this: FATE
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Yet another insult.

Legend
Legend
Did Baker write a check to play? Yes or no is the only response that matters.

That is a ridiculous statement. He gave up an 18m contract for a 15m contract to be able to play for the Panthers. If you're arguing that's not pay to play, you're just like other folks here that have an incessant need to be right no matter how silly they look. Now if you were to argue that there are incentives in the contract where he could recoup the difference, I would listen.

The Browns left themselves with absolutely ZERO leverage in dealing Baker. They are paying him nearly $11MM to PLAY for someone else. That's what happens when you destroy the market for something you wish to sell.

That's also what happens when you've got a qb on the books for 18m and no other team thinks he's worth a starting qb salary. It's not the Browns fault, they gave him plenty of opportunity to show his skillset. There are 3+ years of game film for teams to evaluate him. There's no market because teams aren't interested in Baker Mayfield, not because the Browns priced themselves out of the market for trading a starting qb.

All that said, prior to the DW trade I was excited to see what this season would bring with a healthy Baker at qb. I think there were big mistakes made by both Baker and KS in letting him play thru that injury last year. All that did was allow this ugliness to rear it's head. If Baker would have sat out the season and recovered, I really wonder if we would have even gone thru this mess for DW. We would have had an optimistic off season with a positive outlook heading into the 2022 schedule.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Yet another insult.

Can anybody counter anything you say without it being an insult to you? Now we can't even talk about Baker, we have to keep the DW debate or references to it in DW threads only, and we all have to tiptoe around your special sensitivities... Funny I haven't seen any of this in the rules. Will you be rewriting them soon too? Is this DT or VersSpace? If I'm not mistaken, anything about Baker should fit in a thread about Browns/NFL News.

I think you should just stop being a board bully.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 07/23/22 10:03 AM.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Another example of you being "attacked?"

O
Legend
Legend
O
Not at all. But I'm sure you will twist it. Carry on.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Did Baker write a check to play? Yes or no is the only response that matters.

That is a ridiculous statement. He gave up an 18m contract for a 15m contract to be able to play for the Panthers. If you're arguing that's not pay to play, you're just like other folks here that have an incessant need to be right no matter how silly they look. Now if you were to argue that there are incentives in the contract where he could recoup the difference, I would listen.

The Browns left themselves with absolutely ZERO leverage in dealing Baker. They are paying him nearly $11MM to PLAY for someone else. That's what happens when you destroy the market for something you wish to sell.

That's also what happens when you've got a qb on the books for 18m and no other team thinks he's worth a starting qb salary. It's not the Browns fault, they gave him plenty of opportunity to show his skillset. There are 3+ years of game film for teams to evaluate him. There's no market because teams aren't interested in Baker Mayfield, not because the Browns priced themselves out of the market for trading a starting qb.

All that said, prior to the DW trade I was excited to see what this season would bring with a healthy Baker at qb. I think there were big mistakes made by both Baker and KS in letting him play thru that injury last year. All that did was allow this ugliness to rear it's head. If Baker would have sat out the season and recovered, I really wonder if we would have even gone thru this mess for DW. We would have had an optimistic off season with a positive outlook heading into the 2022 schedule.

Baker Mayfield is not writing a check to anyone to play football...he simply is not.

Legend
Legend
He had 18M to not play football, he now has 15M to play... He wrote a check!

1 member likes this: jfanent
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Not at all. But I'm sure you will twist it. Carry on.

Poor Vers, running through DT like...

[Linked Image from c.tenor.com]

2 members like this: Hoodly, OldColdDawg
Legend
Legend
Baker Mayfield is not writing a check to anyone to play football...he simply is not.

I haven't written a check to the electric company in 20 years, but I have been paying them. What's your point?

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

I haven't written a check to the electric company in 20 years, but I have been paying them. What's your point?

I'll play...does money in your bank account come out of your bank account to pay the electric company. Aka...you pay for your electric.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by FATE

He simply did NOT write a check...or have a direct debit....or send a money order...or pledge an asset...or any such thing.

I have a friend who owned a business. He used to tell when he "lost $$$ on a job"...when in reality he didn't make as much as he thought he would based on the bid. But he didn't "lose $$$ on any job". You can't lose what you never received in the first place.

Look man...I'm an Accountant, so you must acquiesce to my definition of paying. Or not. rofl (Hey...I found the purple font thing.)

1 member likes this: Jester
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
As I explained in another thread, I think this is more about having a back-up in place after this season. Rosen is a classic back-up QB.

Yet they only signed Rosen to a one year deal.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P

You mean that rest of his salary is based on incentives? Because that's actually what happened. How is that a pay cut again? I find it odd how this board has suddenly decided that somehow he has a contract that allows him to make the exact same amount as the original amount but now that's considered taking a pay cut and believing in yourself and your abilities is such a bad thing.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

You mean that rest of his salary is based on incentives? Because that's actually what happened. How is that a pay cut again? I find it odd how this board has suddenly decided that somehow he has a contract that allows him to make the exact same amount as the original amount but now that's considered taking a pay cut and believing in yourself and your abilities is such a bad thing.

Yes... if you read through the incentives, you can see, Mayfield will be rolling in cash by February 12th. I fully expect him to be in the top 5 in points scored, total offense, completion percentage, go to the Pro Bowl; and work his charm all the way to a Super Bowl win. thumbsup

$250,000: Mayfield plays 75 percent of regular season snaps + 10 wins
$500,000: Mayfield plays 75 percent of regular season snaps + Divisional Round win (with 50 percent of snaps)
$600,000: Mayfield plays 75 percent of regular season snaps + NFC Championship win (with 50 percent of snaps)
$700,000: Mayfield plays 75 percent of regular season snaps + Super Bowl win (with 50 percent of snaps)
$300,000: Mayfield plays 75 percent of regular season snaps + top 5 in NFC in total offense or top 10 in NFL in total offense
$300,000: Mayfield plays 75 percent of regular season snaps + top 5 in NFC in points scored or top 10 in NFL in points scored
$300,000: Top 5 in NFC in completion percentage or top 10 in NFL in completion percentage
$500,000: Pro Bowl selection

1 member likes this: jfanent
Legend
Legend

I'll play...does money in your bank account come out of your bank account to pay the electric company. Aka...you pay for your electric.

Which is exactly my point.....I paid without a check......as did Baker. It cost him 3M of guaranteed money. Thanks for playing!

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
So nowhere can you actually point that he took a pay cut in his contract and you've decided since that's not the case it's time to move the goal posts? BTW- you missed the "NFC" part several times.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

You sound like Amber Heard saying that pledging money is the same as actually donating money. It's a matter of possession. 3 million in guaranteed money now belongs someone else. The fact that he may be able to earn it back is irrelevant, as it is not guaranteed. Baker had to give up something to play for Carolina, hence "pay to play".

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
R
Legend
Legend
R
Baker Mayfield is a bad QB.

He had to pay someone to let him play this year.

I'm not sure I've ever seen that before.

P
Legend
Legend
P
He either wrote a check for 3 million or he negotiated changing that salary in the form of incentives. Which one was it again? Nothing you can say to twist that will change it. There is what factually happened then there's the lie that claims he wrote a check for 3 million dollars to play. I know we now live in a world where facts don't matter. That when you state facts people will try to present some form of crazy arguments to refute those facts.

There's really nothing anyone can do about that I guess. It's become accepted as your post points out.

You do realize that "somewhere else" is on his contract exactly where it was before, correct? Only that amount was converted to incentive based money.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Rishuz
He had to pay someone to let him play this year.

I'm not sure I've ever seen that before.

Only if that weren't a lie you would be onto something.

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
Baker Mayfield is a bad QB.

A team said you can play for us if you change guaranteed dollars into incentivized dollars.

Of course any player with options would do that. LOL

Baker Mayfield had to pay a team to let him play.

Baker Mayfield is a bad qb. He doesn't even deserve to have a capital Q and B.

Legend
Legend
When you have less than before, you paid. It's as simple as that.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum 2022 Browns/NFL Free Agency Signings/News Continued

Link Copied to Clipboard