Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
P
Legend
Legend
P
Which is a great way to frame it if one wishes to misrepresent the huge discrepancy between the two contracts.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: oobernoober
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Which is a great way to frame it if one wishes to misrepresent the huge discrepancy between the two contracts.

I think most people understood where he was coming from and what he was referring to but here you go for his clarification.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Watson is a far superior qb over Murray. Murray acts like a little brat on the field. Pouting, showing teammates up, gagging in big games, etc. We will have Watson for the next decade or so. Great move by Berry!

Legend
Legend

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by mac
Originally Posted by jfanent
Originally Posted by mac
jfan...how is that knee replacement doing after your bout with cellulitis..?

Very well, thank you. Going thru the grind of PT, stretching and strength training. It's painful and sucks, but the physical therapist said my progress is "remarkable".

thumbsup great news and keep grinding !

Actually, I think that may have been the problem in the first place wink

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: jfanent
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
JMHO, a truth, ANY place you hurt your body, it will come back and get you as you AGE. Be smart using your body. Go Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
O
Legend
Legend
O
JC

To the Board: Hey everyone, just wanted to apologize for apparently getting political in PF two nights ago. I took a two-day ban deservingly, but wanted you all to know it was an accident and I'm sorry for doing that because I do the best I can to keep that stuff in PP. But I was being attacked in multiple forums by the same poster and just lost track of where I was. Again, I apologize to anyone who didn't want to see it, except the recipient.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 07/21/22 08:44 PM.
4 members like this: oobernoober, jfanent, IrishDawg42
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
JC

To the Board: Hey everyone, just wanted to apologize for apparently getting political in PF two nights ago. I took a two-day ban deservingly, but wanted you all to know it was an accident and I'm sorry for doing that because I do the best I can to keep that stuff in PP. But I was being attacked in multiple forums by the same poster and just lost track of where I was. Again, I apologize to anyone who didn't want to see it, except the recipient.

No need to apologize, we know you don't mean it. LOL...just kidding. I think we all can get a little flustered, or hot under the collar from time to time.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Will Judge Robinson issue a Deshaun Watson ruling on Friday?
Posted by Mike Florio on July 21, 2022, 9:49 PM EDT

The Browns go to training camp next week. It makes plenty of sense for Judge Sue L. Robinson to issue her ruling on quarterback Deshaun Watson‘s potential discipline before then.

From the moment the hearing ended three weeks ago today and Judge Robinson set a deadline of July 12 for the submission of written materials from the parties, the week of July 25 seemed to be the ideal period of time for a decision. From a P.R. perspective, it’s even more ideal if she issues her decision on Friday afternoon.

Last Friday, the Texans’ settlement of 30 claims related to Watson’s alleged misconduct emerged in the late morning/early afternoon. By Monday morning, it was largely forgotten. Although the ruling on a Deshaun Watson suspension wouldn’t be a faded memory by morning drive-time on Monday, it will have less oomph on Monday if it’s published tomorrow afternoon.

The NFL, if it were being candid, would say it would prefer that the ruling come on Friday afternoon. The NFL Players Association likely would feel the same way. If, as some believe, Watson won’t get the kind of significant punishment that many had believed he’d experience, the league and the union have a shared interest in trying to reduce the backlash from fans and media over the perception that Watson didn’t get the kind of punishment that many believe he deserves.

The Browns, as we’ve reported, are bracing for eight games. A person with knowledge of the submissions made by the parties has suggested a range of two to eight games. By Friday afternoon, the answer finally may arrive.

Subject, of course, to an appeal by either side to Commissioner Roger Goodell — unless Judge Robinson’s decides that there should be no discipline at all.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...issue-a-deshaun-watson-ruling-on-friday/

A couple of thoughts:

--Making the decision public on a Friday makes sense because there is going to be outrage one way or the other and the weekend provides a bit of a buffer zone.

--The 2--8 game prediction that some of these guys are putting out there gives them a lot of wiggle room. This isn't baseball or basketball. Two games is two weeks. Eight games is two months if the bye isn't in that time span. That's a huge difference.

I really don't know how long Sue L. Robinson will suspend Watson, if at all. Given the information and knowing the importance of the media and public opinion, I am going to say 4 to 6 games. It might be similar to Big Ben's situation. I don't think she will go zero games like Kraft got despite video evidence.

I wonder what number will cause the NFLPA to appeal?

I wonder if the NFL throws their hands up if the suspension isn't too long and say that their hands were tied by Robinson's decision or if they ignore her decision and tack on more games?

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Wait...so Houston settled with 30 women...DW settled with 24 women...is the number now 54-and-counting or was there some overlap there? Also, why did Houston wait until NOW to settle? What a cluster.

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
JC

This thread has gotten me hot a couple times, and I'm usually pretty chill. I'm ready for the saga to be over....

... so we can start arguing over all the leaked information that comes out after.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
Wait...so Houston settled with 30 women...DW settled with 24 women...is the number now 54-and-counting or was there some overlap there? Also, why did Houston wait until NOW to settle? What a cluster.

We don't officially know, but I think the assumption is that there are 6 additional women in the Houston settlement that are not in the 24 total Watson cases. The Times article seemed to indicate that Houston had knowledge of the situation and enabled at times. Beyond what is in the Times article, I'm not aware of any specifics regarding what the Texans would've been charged with as that is now hush-hush per the settlement.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by WSU Willie

As oober pointed out, the assumption is that there is 100% overlap, and the suits against Houston were just filed this summer; like, within the last six weeks, I believe (I'm not going to bother checking the actual filing date, but it was recent).

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

Sounds like the Browns are expecting a short suspension. I mean they went out and signed Rosen when they were already paying their current back up over 4.5 million. Yeah, sounds like they're only expecting 4-6 games.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Well...we finally ended up with the guy I wanted us to take originally in the 2018 draft...although I can't say I'm as happy about it now as I would have been then.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V

3 members like this: Ballpeen, jfanent, DaveyD
V
Legend
Legend
V
Things are looking better and better.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Zero games? LOL just thinking about heads exploding.

1 member likes this: FL_Dawg
V
Legend
Legend
V

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog

So, what does this mean? As I had said earlier, the NFL has not decided discipline on the Texans as of yet. Many here are screaming that the Texans are an example of what's wrong with the PCP. The Texans settling has created a serious issue for Judge Robinson. Handy out a light suspension to Watson when she is the exact reason that the NFLPA fought for a change defeats the purpose of their fight in the first place. If the punishments were wrong before, handing out a light punishment to a player with who's had 24 civil suits against him defeats everything they have been fighting for. You can't fix wrongs by starting out doing another wrong. The Texans have basically said they enabled Watson misconduct by settling with the 30 women without actually admitting they did enable. So much to the point, the media and fans alike are screaming foul because no penalty has been handed down, yet. That may be the delay in Judge Robinson's decision. If the NFL hands out a penalty to the Texans (as they should) that is based on the merits of the issue (30 women alleging sexual misconduct), then Watson must have violated the PCP in in a manner unprecedented in the history of the NFL. The Texans cannot be guilty of a gross PCP violation unless Watson is guilty of an even grosser PCP violation.

It's thought that Watson should be given a pass on the 20 civil cases that were settled as with no harm, no foul and now only has to be concerned with the other 4 that are still active with the NFL. As many have posted that Judge Robinson should only be considering those four, period, then with that thinking the Texans should turn off the lights because they have already settled all their civil cases thus no harm, no foul and the NFL should ignore any thoughts of PCP violations by the Texans. Of course, there's the 6 other women who have not filed against Watson but did the Texans. You'd have to think if the Texans settled of enabling then civil suits against Watson be a coming soon. Unless Judge Robinson gives an indefinite suspension, this circus will not be over for the Browns and Watson for a long time because more juicy stuff is a coming and it isn't looking good.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
You really don't know what a settlement means do you??? You make a lot of assumptions.

First The Texans ARE NOT GUILTY. A settlement is NOT an admission of Guilt. And Judge Robinson cannot consider those settlements in ANY way because the settlements happened AFTER the hearing and so they are not a part of the evidence. Secondly the NFL HAS made a decision of no punishment to the Texans and announced that the same day of the settlements. The argument others are making is that Watson is being disciplined for the same thing the Texans are not being disciplined for...which is the lawsuits that could be seen as a negative with the PCP...and if the NFL isn't even going to push any further on the Texans who had MORE lawsuits against them, why is Watson still on the hook....That is the argument others are making...But that argument doesn't even matter because Judge Robinson can't consider it anyway...

Third...Watson isn't being given a pass on the 20 settlements. The 20 settlements are not a part of the presentation of evidence "that we know of". And even if it is a part of the evidence...like the Texans..it is NOT an admission of guilt and would have no real bearing on a judgement. Watson is being considered for discipline based on 4 cases that were presented by the NFL...we don't even know if any of the 4 settled. We don't know which 4 cases she heard. It is just assumed by many that it is the 4 cases that have not yet settled. But that is not fact...the only fact that has been confirmed is the number which is 4 cases that Judge Robinson is considering. Who knows maybe the NFL picked the 4 worst cases...(just saying)

I can see a situation where Watson gets no punishment...as explained by the videos above...I can see where she blazes her own trail and makes it a much larger punishment. "I don't think" she gives the NFL the whole year...it certainly is possible.....it is just my opinion to think she won't....But we have to remind ourselves what it is she is judging. She can only consider the evidence provided in the hearing (4 cases with no witness testimony and no cross examination of witness testimony )and she will consider the post hearing summations (which would not be allowed to introduce new evidence)...And it can only be judged based upon her interpretation of the PCP...So precedence will be considered...we don't how much...but it will be...

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
B
Legend
Legend
B
Unlike others, you have a pretty good understanding of how this works.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by PETE314
You really don't know what a settlement means do you??? You make a lot of assumptions.

First The Texans ARE NOT GUILTY. A settlement is NOT an admission of Guilt. And Judge Robinson cannot consider those settlements in ANY way because the settlements happened AFTER the hearing and so they are not a part of the evidence. Secondly the NFL HAS made a decision of no punishment to the Texans and announced that the same day of the settlements. The argument others are making is that Watson is being disciplined for the same thing the Texans are not being disciplined for...which is the lawsuits that could be seen as a negative with the PCP...and if the NFL isn't even going to push any further on the Texans who had MORE lawsuits against them, why is Watson still on the hook....That is the argument others are making...But that argument doesn't even matter because Judge Robinson can't consider it anyway...

Third...Watson isn't being given a pass on the 20 settlements. The 20 settlements are not a part of the presentation of evidence "that we know of". And even if it is a part of the evidence...like the Texans..it is NOT an admission of guilt and would have no real bearing on a judgement. Watson is being considered for discipline based on 4 cases that were presented by the NFL...we don't even know if any of the 4 settled. We don't know which 4 cases she heard. It is just assumed by many that it is the 4 cases that have not yet settled. But that is not fact...the only fact that has been confirmed is the number which is 4 cases that Judge Robinson is considering. Who knows maybe the NFL picked the 4 worst cases...(just saying)

I can see a situation where Watson gets no punishment...as explained by the videos above...I can see where she blazes her own trail and makes it a much larger punishment. "I don't think" she gives the NFL the whole year...it certainly is possible.....it is just my opinion to think she won't....But we have to remind ourselves what it is she is judging. She can only consider the evidence provided in the hearing (4 cases with no witness testimony and no cross examination of witness testimony )and she will consider the post hearing summations (which would not be allowed to introduce new evidence)...And it can only be judged based upon her interpretation of the PCP...So precedence will be considered...we don't how much...but it will be...

Ok, let's be candid. Where is the official statement that the NFL is not disciplining the Texans? I have read media reports that it isn't or hasn't happened but no official NFL release. Not saying there isn't one, just saying I want to know where you saw the fact. An unnamed source is not a fact-based statement. In fact, in the above video, Florio questions if the NFLPA should ask Judge Robinson if the NFL is going to investigate the Texans for violation of the PCP and the effect that might have on Watson but the double-edged sword that the request could carry. That tells me that a) The NFLPA (according to the talking heads media) believes the Texans violated the PCP and should be considered a vital part of what happens to Watson and b) the NFL has not made any public official announcement that they are not investigating the Texans. If Florio and Eisen are right (take that with a grain of salt because it's opinionated not based on fact) Judge Robinson most certainly can take under advisement anything that pertains to the labor dispute whether it was presented in the live closed hearing or not.

Second, I never said or it wasn't intended to say the Texans were guilty because of the settlements. What I did say is their statement all but admitted guilt without saying they were guilty. If the Texans are actually guilty of a PCP violation of enabling and should be punished as is the outcry by the masses, then it stands to reason that Watson too must be guilty of violating the PCP since he was the person they were enabling. You can't scream for league justice against the Texans and then think Watson should get a bye.

It's just my opinion but I think there's too much credence being put into what Judge Robinson can and can't consider. The NFL discipline process does not have guidelines posted as to what can be or cannot be considered when handing out discipline. Thus, the reason the vast majority of discipline in the NFL is solely based on PCP violations not the legal aspects of the cases. Though a former judge, she is not a member of the court, and the discipline process is not a legal trial. Basically, she is not bound by any law as to what is admissible to be considered or not since this is not a legal proceeding. This is a labor dispute not a trial. Being I worked decades in corporate labor, in a labor dispute, you do not have witness testimony or cross - it's not a trial. The NFL presents its case to the panel (in this case Judge Robinson) as to why they are seeking a suspension for the violation of the PCP and the NFLPA presents theirs as to why Watson shouldn't be disciplined. The briefs are then filed with supporting facts all-inclusive as to the evidence each side has to bolster their sought-after result. If one of the two sides dispute Judge Robinson's finding of anything more than a zero suspension (which is detailed as final), it goes to what would be known as arbitration which in this case is either Goodell or his chosen representative. NFL PCP guidelines state that the arbitrator can let stand, increase, or decrease the punishment and has final say on the discipline. The only option then would be a lawsuit which then would be a whole different bag of worms for both sides since Watson could be called as a witness.

As far as precedent goes, I'll say this: If the NFLPA fought for and then accepted the new guidelines of having an unbiased neutral person hear the PCP disputes, it stands to reason that what was previously going on was deemed unsatisfactory by the NFLPA thus the need for change. Judge Robinson is making the first ruling under the new guidelines and will set the foundation for incidents going forward. If she is going to use precedent as the ruling force, then what was the purpose of the change? It makes no sense to fight for change and then in the very first case expects or asks for a decision that evens the score for previous wrongs based on previous rulings. Again, if the Texans committed a PCP violation denoting the guilt of enabling Watson, they should be disciplined for their actions that violate the PCP. When that happens, it doesn't matter the guilty or innocence of Watson as to the legal aspects of the cases but all 24 cases plus 6 more must be looked at as violating the PCP because the Texans are to be disciplined. To be clear, since this is a labor dispute and not a legal one determining the violation of the PCP and not the guilt or innocence according to law, Judge Robinson can and should look at any and all information in considering the appropriate discipline or not against Watson or a minimum of paid leave until all the facts are exposed.

With that all said, you nor I or the talking heads of the media have a) a clue what really transpired at the hearing since it was closed, and any information circulating is from unnamed sources that most likely are distributing opinion rather than fact. Likewise, b) none of the above have a clue as to what Judge Robinson is looking at or what she considers relevant or not. Again, it's just opinionated journalism or zealous fans and not fact based because the hearings were closed meetings about a labor dispute and nothing to do with the current legal aspects of the cases at this time. I will also buy into the precedent thing when someone shows me fact-based discipline against any player previously disciplined for 24-30 alleged sexual misconduct PCP violations.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
B
Legend
Legend
B
IMO the announcement won't happen until just before the first pre-season games. The best way for the NFL to bury the news is to have real football games being played.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Legal expert point of view:

O
Legend
Legend
O
I imagine the judge knows she is not in a court of law and operating under the NFL CBA. So I'm not sure his points truly apply. But I also honestly think the NFL wants Watson on the field bringing in money more than they want him punished or they would have made a much stronger case against him. They have more money and lawyers than the NFLPA or any individual player by a long shot.

Legend
Legend
Who knows what anymore?

No matter what it will not please everyone.

Honestly, I just want a decision. Once camp begins the march to the season starts.

I just want an answer so I can set my true expectations for the season.

1 member likes this: jfanent
P
Legend
Legend
P
It is not a court of law. It never was. It was and in four cases remaining a civil court matter. With the case in front of Robinson it's an NFL personal conduct policy. But you know how people will reach to present a conclusion they wish to hear. And they claim they can't wait until our heads explode. lmao

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
FYI: we have posters in this very thread that are legal professionals, too.

Browns is the Browns

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I wonder, has any NFL team in modern time made five QB moves in one off season? So far they traded one and signed four! That must be some kind of record. If all else fails this season at least they can hang their hats on that fact.

There has to at least be a movie of the week deal in there somewhere.

#gmstrong
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
The Browns QB carousal continues. I just wish the judge would hurry up and make a decision. Training camp is starting. The Browns really need to know soon if Watson will be suspended or not, and for how long if he is.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
2 members like this: Swish, oobernoober
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
How is that statement professional???

[Linked Image]

V
Legend
Legend
V
It's a joke. She didn't make that tweet. LOL

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
It's a joke. She didn't make that tweet. LOL

Cool

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg

Like most things on social media, it's fake.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Haha 😂

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O

It's accurate and concise as can be.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: MemphisBrownie
O
Legend
Legend
O
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Fully expected a decision today since the full practice training camp starts tomorrow. I guess the judge, the NFL, and the NFLPA don't care if we know who will be our Day 1 starter. Anything to shaft browns fans.

Legend
Legend
I assume DW is aloud to participate in trading camp.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Watson News 2: Electric Boogaloo

Link Copied to Clipboard