Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg
Originally Posted by Dawg Citizen
As some have posted already. They must think, or already know, Watson is going to get a long suspension. Which means it will be even longer since Watson has played. This is looking like a bad trade more and more every day. I think Berry and whoever else decided to do this, made a huge mistake!

Getting Watson was not a move for this year alone. See the bigger picture if you can.

I think this trade might go down as the best trade the Browns ever made.

I agree, because we weren't going anywhere without a true field general.

[Linked Image]

E
Legend
Legend
E
I did want Rosen in the draft. Evaluating college qbs is almost impossible, even the NFL guys get it wrong all the time.

In the NFL, Rosen has been a bust. I admit it when I am wrong. I was wrong about Rosen.

Wasn't picking on you...at the time you want Rosen I know you changed that over the years. Don't take it so personal. Although you did take a big hit with that...lol laugh hey I know I had some mistakes...stupid me I liked Watson coming out of college...lol laugh

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
All Pro
All Pro
Forget about a lengthy suspension for Watson or not when the Browns FO gives Josh Rosen a contract in the end of July then it looks bad no matter how they spin it.

1 member likes this: THROW LONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
notallthere

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I don't think Rosen's signing has much of anything to do with DW's pending-or-not suspension. However, I understand why others may disagree because Rosen is nowhere near the same type QB as DW, JB or Dobbs. I don't think his signing is consistent with what the FO has said - or maybe implied - about the attributes they want in their QB.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
I don't think Rosen's signing has much of anything to do with DW's pending-or-not suspension. However, I understand why others may disagree because Rosen is nowhere near the same type QB as DW, JB or Dobbs. I don't think his signing is consistent with what the FO has said - or maybe implied - about the attributes they want in their QB.

I think in a back-up, they want a game manager who isn't asked to do a whole lot. Brissett fits that mold, I think Rosen can as well. Rosen has the experience that he may be ready to do that.

Maybe not. We signed him to find out. He brings what Dobbs does not....experience.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Jeremy Fowler reported that the Browns like his "live arm." He does have that and can make some great intermediate throws. His problem is that he takes too many chances on those throws and that results in stupid interceptions. He is also lacking mobility. He's nothing more than a backup plan in case Watson is suspended for a short period of time. I doubt he'll be on the team long-term. And if Watson is suspended for a long time, the Browns might bring in someone who has had more success, such as Gardner Minshew. I think they didn't bring in Minshew now because he probably would lead to a distraction where folks would be talking about him starting vs Brissett should Watson be suspended for a short time.

All Pro
All Pro
notallthere

Just so I understand for future discussions. You think I’m not as smart as you or just stupid en general?

V
Legend
Legend
V
No, I think you are so butt-hurt that Baker is gone that you are reaching to criticize the FO every chance you get. Signing a 3rd or 4th string qb to come into camp isn't a big deal and doesn't make the Browns look good or bad. Furthermore, they didn't spin a damn thing. I haven't seen any huge press releases from the Browns. Have you?

1 member likes this: jfanent
Legend
Legend
J/C

My initial take was that this had no bearing on the Watson situation and was just a camp arm.

After much thought, my opinion hasn’t changed … but I will add this: Dobbs must be very very bad.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
O
Legend
Legend
O
We should all recognize the browns made a bad move, simply by the fact that this thread exists and we are having this conversation the week camp starts. But in the infamous words of a non-poet, the Browns is the Browns.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 07/24/22 11:10 AM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
We should all recognize the browns made a bad move, simply by the fact that this thread exists and we are having this conversation the week camp starts. But in the infamous words of a non-poet, the Browns is the Browns.

If you're referring to the Rosen signing, why is it a bad move? It's the gm's job to improve the bottom of the roster just as much as the top.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
2 members like this: Versatile Dog, AZBrown
T
Legend
Legend
T
No, I think you are so butt-hurt that Baker is gone that you are reaching to criticize the FO every chance you get. Signing a 3rd or 4th string qb to come into camp isn't a big deal and doesn't make the Browns look good or bad. Furthermore, they didn't spin a damn thing. I haven't seen any huge press releases from the Browns. Have you?

Then why didn't they sign Rosen in May or an earlier time. Signing any Quarterback in July, especially after all the news from February to July has been about your starting Quarterback (Projected starting if not suspended), not only looks bad, it looks desperate.
But, to spin it that since Rose is SO bad that his signing isn't even of any note whatsoever, doesn't help how bad or desperate it looks.

The bottom line is they signed a Qb in July, and that doesn't look good. What kind of an offseason plan that starts in January or Februrary, and includes free agency, and the draft and mini camp in June
What kind of an off-season plan includes signing a Quarterback in July after all of those. It! the timing, REEKS of "oops we didn't know what we were doing". or Oops we didn't have a plan, or a plan that was consistent for more than a couple weeks. and <that! looks bad.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
I'd like to hear how Josh Rosen is nowhere near the same type of Qb as Jacoby Brissett or Joshua Dobbs,
because as far as I see it, they are all 3 backup caliber quarterbacks who can't be relied on to win consistently in the NFL and that is a same type.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Dawg Citizen
As some have posted already. They must think, or already know, Watson is going to get a long suspension. Which means it will be even longer since Watson has played. This is looking like a bad trade more and more every day. I think Berry and whoever else decided to do this, made a huge mistake!

Getting Watson was not a move for this year alone. See the bigger picture if you can.

I think this trade might go down as the best trade the Browns ever made.

I agree, because we weren't going anywhere without a true field general.

Yeah, the last year he was healthy which was his first year in Stefanski's system he helped lead us to the playoffs and were only four points away for beating the Chiefs to play in the AFC Championship game. Then last year on this very board going into the season when he was healthy, the vast majority of posters were claiming we would win 11 or 12 games. Then he played a season marred by injuries and most of those same people now claims he sucks. You couldn't get any more "Browns fans" than that!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P

You know as well as everyone else they signed him to be the backup QB to Brisset. Your "3rd or 4th string QB" comment is BS. And of course so is your "you are so butt-hurt that Baker is gone" BS.

Then you have the gall to play the victim. You're hilarious.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
It's certainly their job to make sure during watson's suspension they have a better backup QB on the roster than Dobbs. I think they accomplished that.

#gmstrong
All Pro
All Pro

Baker belongs to the Panthers and is history in my books. I wish him well but this topic is about the Browns, you know our favorite team.

Making panic moves late in July can’t be labeled as anything then bad planning. Why Josh Rosen, a 2018 first round pick that hasn’t made any positive impact whatsoever in any of his former teams. Why wait until July?

I could understand Garoppolo or similar but this move creates more questions then answers.

Legend
Legend
it's possible that he's just a camp arm, but if that were the case, we could have signed absolutely anyone. An UDFA would have fit that bill.
Meanwhile, we have two QBs that need all the reps they can get... and we've now brought a guy in to take some of them.

Those things do no coexist well, so there's little chance that he is being looked at as *just* a camp arm. He's here to replace someone, which means, most likely, Dobbs is getting knocked down, which means this definitely IS all about a looming suspension. There's no other reason to bother doing it, period.

Also, hopefully, we're not about to have something stupid drop like one of our other QBs failing a drug test or something. That would be SOOO Cleveland.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

V
Legend
Legend
V
How is signing a former top 10 pick to compete for the 3rd string or 4th string job such a bad move. Jesus!

Legend
Legend
Why are you asking me that? Where did I ever say whether it was good or bad?
Hint: I did neither. I made no assertion one way or the other.

Jeeesz. crazy

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
That said, if you want reasons why it can be bad, unless it is a minimum deal, it's stupid because he sucks.
It screams "desperation move", actually. And, it isn't 3rd string, it's Backup, at the least. Watson won't be on the 53 when the season opens. He'll be on another list, so this hack and Whatshisname will be battling it out to be our starter. Anyone that thinks he is just a camp arm is deluding themselves. He isn't that.

The fact that he's a formerly over-drafted Top 10 pick simply means that we don't learn from the mistakes of others.

Browns is the Browns

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
V
Legend
Legend
V
Great. The Browns are doomed because we signed Josh Rosen to compete for a roster spot.

Legend
Legend
Perhaps... but, it would be because the Browns put themselves in a position where Rosen is their starter.

Browns is the Browns

T
Legend
Legend
T
I love the use of the word meanwhile. It takes me back to days of watching the "Dukes of Hazard" where the commentator would use it to describe what Daisy or C''r, or even Uncle Jesse were up to after Boss and Roscoe had gotten the Duke Boys into and unsuspecting predicament. a goo goo goo! It's not every day you hear the word meanwhile.
Or, "in the meantime"
which is the correct usage of how I heard it incorrectly used on a show by a commentator called "too cute" which diagrams videos of puppy litters and kitten litters in their first 6-8 weeks.
They said "meantime" but they should have said " in the meantime" I think it would have been more correct.
I think the previous response was just responding in general.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Why do you care? I read your posts after the Watson signing. You said you would no longer root for the team. So why do you care if they suck or not?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
I love the use of the word meanwhile. It takes me back to days of watching the "Dukes of Hazard" where the commentator would use it to describe what Daisy or C''r, or even Uncle Jesse were up to after Boss and Roscoe had gotten the Duke Boys into and unsuspecting predicament. a goo goo goo! It's not every day you hear the word meanwhile.
Or, "in the meantime"
which is the correct usage of how I heard it incorrectly used on a show by a commentator called "too cute" which diagrams videos of puppy litters and kitten litters in their first 6-8 weeks.
They said "meantime" but they should have said " in the meantime" I think it would have been more correct.
I think the previous response was just responding in general.

Meanwhile, back at the asylum.......

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by jfanent

If you're referring to the Rosen signing, why is it a bad move? It's the gm's job to improve the bottom of the roster just as much as the top.

From a roster standpoint, this type of signing is literally never a bad move. Guy could (probably will) be off the roster just as fast as he came into the picture. He's definitely not all that, and I don't begrudge poking fun regarding the 2 guys from that draft class that we happened to have, but we're looking for a temp backup. Perspective.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by oobernoober
Originally Posted by jfanent

From a roster standpoint, this type of signing is literally never a bad move. Guy could (probably will) be off the roster just as fast as he came into the picture. He's definitely not all that, and I don't begrudge poking fun regarding the 2 guys from that draft class that we happened to have, but we're looking for a temp backup. Perspective.

Yep...looking at this list: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/ I'd say that about whomever we signed at this/that point.

Fun fact: Kevin Hogan is still in the NFL...he will make almost $ 1MM. Crazy.

Legend
Legend
why are yall acting like this over Rosen? dude has turned into camp fodder/career backup mode. even if Watson is suspended for the year, none of these other guys are gonna have a chance to be anything more than a backup. we paid way too much money for Watson for somebody like Rosen or anyone else to even entertain the thought of any of these QB's to be the future, so it shouldn't be a controversial move.

you know what's controversial? how no one traded for Jimmy G yet.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
While
Jeremy Fowler reported that the Browns like his "live arm." He does have that and can make some great intermediate throws. His problem is that he takes too many chances on those throws and that results in stupid interceptions. He is also lacking mobility. He's nothing more than a backup plan in case Watson is suspended for a short period of time. I doubt he'll be on the team long-term. And if Watson is suspended for a long time, the Browns might bring in someone who has had more success, such as Gardner Minshew. I think they didn't bring in Minshew now because he probably would lead to a distraction where folks would be talking about him starting vs Brissett should Watson be suspended for a short time.

Those 2-4 sentences are the reasons I believed why we signed him from my earlier posts. It isn't anything major. He has some arm talent and they are covering their bases.

Taking away waiting for the verdict on DW. This is a generalization, once DW gets back on the field this reminds me of: we have Andrew Luck and we are signing Jim Sorgi or Curtis Painter to back him up.

Edit: what I am getting at is this signing isn't notable in a good or negative way.

Last edited by ScottPlayersFacemask; 07/25/22 07:11 PM.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Please, all of you, stop quoting throw long

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
rofl

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Good luck Josh. You’re a Browns QB now. Don’t read the above posts with malice in your mind. We are Brown’s fans. We’re bitter with every signing in some way. Get use to it. We’ll still be your fans, even if we cringe out-loud and break into cold sweats…. if….or when you take your first snap as a Browns QB in a live game.

Some day, following the example of the United States of America, there will be a United States of Europe.

George Washington
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns sign Josh Rosen

Link Copied to Clipboard