Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Camp Cupcake with the starters getting another pre-season game of rest.

Legend
Legend
They are having two days of joint practices with the Eagles. The starters will be getting plenty of work.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
From oober:

"He just lost his starting center, and his WR group (already, arguably, the weakest group on the roster) is banged up. I can understand hesitancy to throw starters out there in games that don't matter."

I agree that the score of the game doesn't matter...but using the game to actually get ready for the season matters a great deal...especially with a new starting QB (who is actually a backup), a new #1 WR (who's actually a #2) and a bunch of developmental WRs AND now a new starting Center.

The leadership of the HC is fair game for criticism...he is the one making this decision...just like the FO should be criticized for not properly vetting their new QB and all-but-ignoring the glaring hole at WR that has existed for waaaaay too long now.

1 member likes this: oobernoober
P
Legend
Legend
P
The same way he would be judged if he used the starters and they suffered a lot of injuries. And those questioning his leadership now would probably be the same people that would be questioning his leadership then.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by Pdawg
They are having two days of joint practices with the Eagles. The starters will be getting plenty of work.

Will the Eagles rest their starters for the game too? Their starting QB is not suspended to start the season and their WR room is terrific...our best WR might be their 3rd WR. IMO, this is coaching arrogance at its finest (worse).

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Bad juju on the center position....

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
The same way he would be judged if he used the starters and they suffered a lot of injuries. And those questioning his leadership now would probably be the same people that would be questioning his leadership then.

No question that every HC is fair game for criticism...but being "healthy" on Opening Day while being woefully not-ready reeks of arrogance combined with incompetence. Our HC's have seemingly done this STR...and we are 1-1-1,000 on Opening Day.

P
Legend
Legend
P
It wreaks of damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
It wreaks of damned if you do and damned if you don't.

That too...but that is what that career choice entails. It's always a great play...when it actually works.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Pdawg

I did not realize we were practicing w/the Eagles this week. Thanks.

I've heard it repeated many times by former players and coaches.......the work that guys get in these joint practices is much better than the work they get in preseason games. College and high school teams don't have preseason games and they are more inexperienced and have a far greater roster upheaval than NFL teams. NFL preseason games used to be called "Exhibition games." They are in place for the owners to make even more money than they already do.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Bad news about the center.

I think some Browns fans are underestimating Cooper. Cowboy fans are lamenting losing him right now.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Milk Man

I freaking jinxed Thomas.
frown

Legend
Legend
Please do not utter a word about any OL for a few weeks. rofl

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
C
Legend
Legend
C
Reports are that Thomas is fine.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Awesome. Thanks.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Yeah thanks for the update. Good news

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
It seems like when Cooper is on the field our offense is much more effective. he’s surely the go-to guy in the air

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
I knew Brissett was not going to play, but was wondering about Watson.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Not sure if I am comfortable w/Ethan Pocic as our starting center. He was almost certainly going to be the starter even before the rookie got hurt yesterday. In case you didn't see it, it was reported yesterday that the Browns are not currently thinking about bringing Tretter back.

His PFF numbers are:

Run blocking: 76.0
Pass blocking: 43.8
Overall: 67.3

His run blocking grade is actually pretty good. Better than Tretter's last year.
His overall grade isn't bad. He was ranked 15th overall in the league. Tretter was 6th.
The pass blocking grade is among the very worst in the league. Tretter was elite.

So, I guess we could do worse, but the pass blocking grade concerns me. Brissett isn't all that mobile and having pressure in his face coming right from the middle might disrupt the short passing game.

I really wonder if Tretter is being blackballed by the NFL for his stance on player safety????

V
Legend
Legend
V
Thinking about Tretter a little bit more...

Tretter ranked 2nd overall in pass blocking last year. He was 6th overall [pass and run blocking.] Yet, he remains unemployed.

Tampa Bay lost Ryan Jenson, their excellent center to what is probably season-long knee injury. However, they have not brought Tretter in. They are turning to Robert Hainsey as their center. He has never started an NFL game. For those of you who follow the NFL, you know that Brady's kryptonite is pressure up the middle. He doesn't like to be hit and inside pressure has always bothered him. Thus, it's imperative that the pass blocking be strong up the middle. TB has already had turnover at both guard positions and now they lost their excellent center. And JC Tretter sits at home.

The NFL is a shady, shady organization.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
R
Legend
Legend
R
We don't need no stinking DTs.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I have no idea what the Browns see in Jordan Elliot. He's been terrible.

D
Legend
Legend
D
In Philly, the Eagles used a 2nd round pick (#51 overall) on C Cam Jurgens, Nebraska. 4 time All Pro C Jason Kelce is in the last year of his contract, is 34 yrs old, and recently had a "cleanout" surgery on his elbow. He should be ready to play Week 1, according to reports. Might be a good 1 year stop-gap C if Browns can work a deal. Money? Don't know, don't care. The salary cap is a myth, IMO.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog

I wouldn't go that far. Elliott had a TKL for loss and a QB hurry/knockdown which cause an incompletion, in just 11 snaps, and those are just the two plays that comes to mind.

I don't know how PFF gets their grades of the game, when I seen [Levert] Hill (playing in the slot) get toasted every time that he was targeted, yet they gave him a high grade???

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 08/16/22 10:01 AM. Reason: Addition

[Linked Image]

M
Legend
Legend
M

I didn't think it was a forgone conclusion that Harris had definitely won the spot, but it is what it is now.

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: GratefulDawg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thanks for that. That was an outstanding block.

[Linked Image]

C
Legend
Legend
C

2 members like this: GratefulDawg, FL_Dawg
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by Dave
...Money? Don't know, don't care. The salary cap is a myth, IMO.

The salary cap is extremely exploitable...but it is real. If not for the salary cap, JC would probably be our C right now.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
Originally Posted by Dave
...Money? Don't know, don't care. The salary cap is a myth, IMO.

The salary cap is extremely exploitable...but it is real. If not for the salary cap, JC would probably be our C right now.

The Browns currently have ~$49M in cap space. The most cap space in the NFL. Salary cap space is not the reason Tretter was cut, though teams use the term "cap casualty" as an excuse to get rid of players they really do not want anymore.

My opinion is that the team felt Nick Harris was ready to take over the position and they did not want Tretter organizing half the team to not show up for voluntary camps again.

C
Rookie
Rookie
C
So until we get another center on the team Pocic is our guy. I think Chris Hubbard has some experience at center but don't know how good he'd be if needed in a pinch.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Still going to see if Nick Harris can tough it out.

Tackles are tackles.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Pocic was a 2nd round pick out of LSU. He had mixed results at Seattle. I feel pretty good he can do a good job. We have a lineman friendly system. We have a pretty good line coach, and we have pretty good guards on either side of the center.

I had hopes for Deaton, but that isn't looking good. Maybe we will get some news today.

The main concern is finding a back-up center. I have no clue if anybody on the roster has ever played the position or if someone can. Not everybody can get low enough to snap the ball, execute a good snap, then seamlessly get in a blocking position.

Much has been made of Forbes over the last few years. I wonder if he can play the position and if he has shaken the injury bug?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Ethan Pocic is Browns answer at center, not J.C. Tretter

by Elliot Kennel1 day ago Follow @ebkennel

The Browns like Ethan Pocic enough that they will probably not bring back their former starter J.C. Tretter, who is still a free agent.

The Cleveland Browns were dealt a nasty blow in their first preseason game when starting center Nick Harris suffered a right knee injury that will end his season. The immediate thought flashed through every dawg’s mind that it was time to call Jared Fox of SportStars, the agent who represents J.C. Tretter, the longtime star center for the Browns who is still a free agent.

Cleveland got great play from Tretter over the years, but they felt that they would rather save $8.2 million in cap space and part ways with the 31-year-old center. This fan believes that Tretter is the individual who more than anyone else helped the NFL establish a workable Covid policy that saved the 2020 season.

However, that’s old news. History may look on Tretter kindly, but at any moment in time, the truth is nobody really likes to have the NFLPA president on their team. He is perceived to be the center of controversy who spreads discontent in the locker room.

Without Harris, the Browns still have another solid option in Ethan Pocic who is a very credible player. He was a former second-round draft pick of the Seattle Seahawks and has 40 NFL starts in five years. He ranked somewhere in the middle among NFL starting centers according to Pro Football Focus. He allowed two sacks last season and committed one penalty. The Browns can probably live with that.

Pocic is the best option, but he’s not the only option. Brock Hoffman, a rookie from Virginia Tech, was buried in the depth chart, but popped up somehow to play 27 snaps (49 percent of the offensive snaps) and performed credibly well, especially as a pass blocker. Let’s keep an eye on him this preseason.

Although Pocic and Hoffman are the only healthy true centers on the roster for the moment, everybody and his brother has at least some experience at center, including nominal guards Drew Forbes, Blake Hance, Hjalte Froholdt, Michael Dunn, and Dawson Deaton. Forbes has nearly disappeared from view after being injury-riddled the past few years, but he and Froholdt both played more than 50 percent of the offensive snaps.

Froholdt, incidentally, was a fourth-round pick of the Patriots, so he’s not just a random guy. At any rate, that makes them eight deep at center. It’s not time to panic and send out an SOS for a high-priced 31-year-old veteran center.

From the Browns point of view, Tretter and the NFLPA are the villains for granting the Commissioner way too much power to decide moral discipline in the current Collective Bargaining Agreement. If you step back and forget the Browns’ quarterback for a minute, the Commissioner has been granted unilateral power to meddle in a lawsuit in a civil court against an NFL player.

Before that lawsuit is concluded, the NFL can conduct its own investigation on behalf of the plaintiff(s) and can assess penalties and fines (giving the money to itself, rather than the plaintiffs) even though there are no specific rules that govern these penalties and fines. The intention is to show the world that the NFL is making sure that its players are a group of highly principled young men.

However, in reality, to many outside observers, it’s an illogical system and seemingly grants almost unlimited power to one person over the livelihood of the employees of the organization. Like, is it legal to establish a kangaroo court of this magnitude just because they have conceded it in the CBA?

At any rate, although the Haslams have generally been out in front in terms of labor relations, they may not be all that anxious to have Andrew Berry bring Tretter back to the Browns.

In addition, Tretter’s unique methods concerning practice (or lack of it) during the season may not sit well with the coaching staff. In recent years he has developed the unorthodox strategy of sitting out from most of the practices during the week in order to stay fresh for the games. It seems to have worked well for him personally.

He didn’t miss a snap for the Browns until Covid got him, and he played at a very high level. He has never been selected for the Pro Bowl, but he has been consistently in the top-10 according to Pro Football Focus. However, teams need to have regular practice, and not having the starting center available during the week was perhaps frustrating for the Browns.

Hence Cleveland might be right that $8.2 million might be too much to spend if other, younger players can do an adequate job at center and ultimately help them fit a $55 million per year quarterback within their salary cap starting next year. Hence Harris and Pocic, who carries a $1.1 million dollar cap hit this season, are much better values.

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2022/08/14/ethan-pocic-browns-center-not-j-c-tretter/

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog

I wouldn't go that far. Elliott had a TKL for loss and a QB hurry/knockdown which cause an incompletion, in just 11 snaps, and those are just the two plays that comes to mind.

I don't know how PFF gets their grades of the game, when I seen [Levert] Hill (playing in the slot) get toasted every time that he was targeted, yet they gave him a high grade???

I did not see the preseason game, so I can offer an opinion. I do know what I saw last year. However, I respect your opinion. You know your football. I hope you are right.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c...

Interesting.

Legend
Legend
Jurassic Quest isn't 'til November, what the heck is he doing?

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News & Notes Cont...

Link Copied to Clipboard