Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I agree it was better than it was before. If I'm the NFLPA, though, I'd hammer on Goodell and the NFL in the next round of negotiations for their illusory commitment to improving the process.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Agreed. I would shoot for where the Disciplinary Officer makes the final decision, rather than an appointed designee of Goodell or Goodell himself.

1 member likes this: dawglover05
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by dawglover05
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Originally Posted by dawglover05
..... the new CBA will be confirmed to be a lopsided horrible deal (more so than it already has).....

Amy Trask had some food for thought on this yesterday...

I get what you're saying, but it's not just Watson-centric, and does not necessarily conform to good vs bad, but a matter of due process and fairness (before people jump on me, I'm again not gearing this toward Watson).

By your citation, it can be understood how this may not have been the priority it was before, albeit a stupid move in retrospect when you logically think it through, especially given the issues they've had with Goodell's punishments going all willy nilly in the past. I think you can be certain this will be more of a priority in the next CBA negotiations.

If I was leading negotiations with the NFLPA, I'd make a stronger attempt to negotiate a set parameter for "sentencing guidelines" the next time around and/or making the arbitration and appeal process less lopsided.

No doubt some parameters will be a big talking point. At least to me, the idea of indefinite suspension is absurd. Even if the end date is 3 years out, there has to be some sort of end. At that point you can discuss conditions which would reduce the length.

There's always been an end date suggested. Even now, asking for an indefinite suspension was followed by a minimum of a year - that's an end date. That means Watson can apply for reinstatement at that time - 1 year. The stipulation would be if he met the requirements attached to it.

IMHO, I would be surprised in there wasn't big stipulations on any suspension whether agreed to or not. Just on the immediate surface, there's still one civil suit not settled. If that goes to court, then is there going to be a stipulation based on the outcome? Another issue is the balance of the 66 women Watson is connected too. What does the NFL do if more civil suits start coming in against Watson? Finally, what about the statues of limitations where criminally it is open for 10-years from the date of the occurrence and civil, 5-years form the date. What will be the suspension, penalty, or response if criminal charges surface or a bucket full of more civil suits? Surely the NFL will put conditions in place to address these things if they happen since they are possibilities of occurring. There just seems to be more on the table than just how many games Watson might be suspended for, not to mention fines, counseling, and Judge Robinson's guidance on future massages.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Legend
Legend
This where I am, MilkMan. Despite participation in and cooperation with this process, we still are being handicapped by the foot-dragging which has to make the FO and coaching duties more challenging and placing us at a disadvantage, kind of a "phantom punishment' beyond whatever parameters emplaced by the outcomes/appeals.

I guess the "done in a day" is attractive to exhausted fans like me. That is a disconnect. How many people does it take working alongside the most recent Goodell designated lackey to finalize the "expedited" debacle. Hate to see where we would be if they decided to slow walk it to punish everybody moreover. SMH

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
2 members like this: Milk Man, Versatile Dog
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c,

Someone needs to tweet to Amy Trask that there is no such thing as "very good men" (or women).

rofl

[Linked Image]

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg
j/c,

Someone needs to tweet to Amy Trask that there is no such thing as "very good men" (or women).

rofl

wink
Amy Trask
@AmyTrask
Okay this has been bugging me - in my tweet about the
@NFLPA
and @NFL
(below), I wanted to write "the overwhelming majority of players are tremendous men," but ran outta room so used vast instead of overwhelming and good instead of tremendous - okay now I feel better - and hi.

https://twitter.com/AmyTrask/status/1559540722109337600

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
[Linked Image from c.tenor.com]

3 members like this: jfanent, oobernoober, MemphisBrownie
M
Legend
Legend
M
rofl

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M

M
Legend
Legend
M
Coming back for the first game against Houston, lol.

Also, accrues a full season.

M
Legend
Legend
M
11 games seems interesting. If it were 12, the Browns could roll over the contract until next year since Watson wouldn't accrue a full/real season.....do I have that right?

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Finally!??

So, his second game will be against the Texans, then, right?
Should be interesting.

He still gets enough games to accrue a season.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
11 games seems interesting. If it were 12, the Browns could roll over the contract until next year since Watson wouldn't accrue a full/real season.....do I have that right?

Correct.

Legend
Legend
If it's not real - I don't know - we should get the ruling soon:

A Deshaun Watson ruling is expected TODAY | Will the Cleveland Browns FINALLY get clarity on QB1?

https://www.wkyc.com/video/news/a-d.../95-b255cc7a-ee85-4df8-a759-1361f2d70818

P.S. Unless that article I posted is just wishful thinking. lol

M
Legend
Legend
M
I think the number of suspended games might spell the end of the Jimmy G rumors. Now that Watson will accrue a fullseason, rolling over that $40M in available cap space will help go towards paying Watson in 2023. If it were 12+ games, that cap might not be as important to carry over considering Jimmy G's contract would be expiring at the end of the year anyways and you be paying Watson his Year 1 salary breakdown.

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: FATE
M
Legend
Legend
M
First game back will be against the Texans. It's an 11 game suspension. If it were 11 weeks, the Texans would be his second game back.

O
Legend
Legend
O

I'm bummed he barely accrues a whole season. I'd be much more fine with the Browns getting "punished" if the Texans were going to get any sort of grief.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
11 Games and 5M fine

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by oobernoober

I'm bummed he barely accrues a whole season. I'd be much more fine with the Browns getting "punished" if the Texans were going to get any sort of grief.

Browns would have been better off if the suspension was actually 12 games instead of 11 so a full season was not accrued.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Hilarious that a guy with 12 followers on Twitter broke this story.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Watson against....

Texans
Bengals
Ravens
Saints
Commanders
Steelers

Then whoever in the playoffs. smile

Tackles are tackles.
R
Legend
Legend
R
Well that sucks.

Legend
Legend
It is on espn now.

DW has not signed it yet but the agreement is in place. The only reason it is not signed is because he is at practice.

So thankfully maybe we can get back to football.

He is suspended and fined. It is my hope the women and fans can move on.

1 member likes this: jfanent
Legend
Legend
Ahhh... eleven games.

Big middle finger in the face of Jimmy as Deshaun accrues a full season.

5M fine means that this has now cost Watson between 12 -15M (my estimate). Hopefully he has learned some valuable lessons.

Seems a bit early, but...

There's always next year!!

Last edited by FATE; 08/18/22 12:17 PM.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Some people are saying the 11-game suspension and fine is still too light. They are saying it should've been for the whole season.

Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Milk Man

Browns would have been better off if the suspension was actually 12 games instead of 11 so a full season was not accrued.

Debatable, but yeah. Given the NFL seemed to REALLY want year+, the 11 game suspension with the Houston game still in play (not sure how much stock I put in that report that they didn't want him playing vs Houston this year) kinda seems to me like they didn't want Cleveland to benefit from the contract not tolling. If that's even the thought process, I'd be much more on board with that if Houston was also going to face some consequences.

I'm also surprised that the fine was as light as it was. I never really had a # of games in mind in terms of where they would settle (much less what is actually fair), so if both sides agree to 11, then I guess that's cool.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by FATE

5M fine means that this has now cost Watson between 12 -15M (my estimate). Hopefully he has learned some valuable lessons.
And Jimmy deserves a big middle finger for AGAIN thinking he knows something about football. The league and his fellow owners know he screwed EVERYONE with that joke of a contract. For Watson, I doubt he's learned anything. Can't wait to see how "all world" he is when the weather gets ugly on the lakefront. If the Browns don't win the Super Bowl with Watson, this will THE biggest joke of all time in Cleveland sports history. Haslam and friends better pray they hoist the Lombardi. Or else. SMH

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
1 member likes this: Dawg Citizen
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by Dawg Citizen
Some people are saying the 11-game suspension and fine is still too light. They are saying it should've been for the whole season.

Does the mob surprise you?

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

The fact the NFL was ok with 11 and he debuts playing Houston, where this all started, looks really bad and very much story-line fishing as Watson comes back to play.

10 games would look better for the NFL, IMO.

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Watson against....

Texans
Bengals
Ravens
Saints
Commanders
Steelers

Then whoever in the playoffs. smile
He'll go 2-4 if he's lucky. There will be no playoffs. LOL

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by The Beast

And Jimmy deserves a big middle finger for AGAIN thinking he knows something about football. The league and his fellow owners know he screwed EVERYONE with that joke of a contract. For Watson, I doubt he's learned anything. Can't wait to see how "all world" he is when the weather gets ugly on the lakefront. If the Browns don't win the Super Bowl with Watson, this will THE biggest joke of all time in Cleveland sports history. Haslam and friends better pray they hoist the Lombardi. Or else. SMH

Houston reportedly enabled his behavior. If any owner/team deserves a middle finger from the league, it'd be them first and foremost.

-PrplPplEater
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
You can't please everyone. Hopefully Watson stays away from the game while he is suspended. He'll be nothing but a distraction if he is on the sidelines during games.

R
Legend
Legend
R
The league and his fellow owners know he screwed EVERYONE with that joke of a contract.

How did they screw everyone?

And as Browns fans why would you care if they did?

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted by Rishuz

Does the mob surprise you?

They think Watson should never play football again so no, they don't surprise me.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Houston reportedly enabled his behavior. If any owner/team deserves a middle finger from the league, it'd be them first and foremost.
You might be right but Haslam just increased the cost of doing business in the NFL. The owners CANNOT be happy about that. He really screwed every one of them over and good. SMH

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Rishuz
The league and his fellow owners know he screwed EVERYONE with that joke of a contract.

How did they screw everyone?

And as Browns fans why would you care if they did?
Come on man - the cost of doing business is already skyrocketing. The owners cannot be happy about the price of signing players going forward. That's my view.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum DeShaun Watson in perpetuum et unum diem

Link Copied to Clipboard