Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by The Beast
You might be right but Haslam just increased the cost of doing business in the NFL. The owners CANNOT be happy about that. He really screwed every one of them over and good. SMH

Again, it's a big leap to connect the # of games to the NFL trying to "punish" the Browns. As for punishing us for the contract... I again point to a report that went out when the contract thing went down about a team that wanted to match. A monster, fully-guaranteed contract was a matter of 'when' and not 'if'.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
j/c:

Damn. This was my hope. 8 games, $10m.

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
O
Legend
Legend
O
I can understand the league not wanting to let him pay his way out of it.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
11 games in meaningful and it is a shot at Browns owners. If Watson was suspended 12 games this season would not count as year 1 on a 5 year deal. With an 11 game suspension this year will be year 1.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Legend
Legend
I figured that the suspension would be 11 games; the most he could have while accruing a season, and advancing his contract. I am surprised that the fine was only $5 million. I figured almost double that.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Agreed.

Funny, I was wondering, a couple weeks ago, "why is every suspension in the history of the NFL (seems like, anyway) an even number of games". The aha moment (however insignificant) was seeing that a player is eligible to return to practice after half the suspension is served.

After Roger's appeal, I was stuck in that "will it be 10 or 12 games?" mindset. Should have known it would be "different" in order to give Jimmy the stink eye.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
M
Legend
Legend
M
Someone pull the plug on this press conference...

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Live...

R
Legend
Legend
R
Just say no comment!

1 member likes this: jfanent
Legend
Legend
Funny because before it was announced I was wondering why all talk centered on even numbers

J
Legend
Legend
J
Originally Posted by Rishuz
Just say no comment!

No kidding. Sheesh!

M
Legend
Legend
M

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by bonefish
Funny because before it was announced I was wondering why all talk centered on even numbers

I remember checking and could only find suspensions with even numbers... at least the high profile cases. Do you know of any? Thought I found the reason when I saw "player can return to practice after half the suspension is served".

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by YTownBrownsFan
I figured that the suspension would be 11 games; the most he could have while accruing a season, and advancing his contract. I am surprised that the fine was only $5 million. I figured almost double that.

Not that it matters much, but I agree 100% with this.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c...

Well now that he's received his punishment by the NFL and that part of the process is over he can go back to being who he really is. Nobody should be surprised by this. Many were buying into his supposed apology while some were trying to tell you that if you listened to it, it wasn't what he wanted to make you think it was.

Nothing has really changed with him except he can now go back to denying his behavior and acting like nothing really happened. You know, because others were just triggered.

This is what Haslam brought you. This is what an intense investigation actually looks like in the end. A catastrophe.

The punishment does at least set a new precedent in a good direction. Sexual misconduct has been treated far too mildly for far too long by the NFL and obviously blaming the women and making light of such behavior seems to be a trend that still has a long way to go in order to correct it by many men after reading this board since this thing began here.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: Floquinho
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
To me it feels as if Goodell and the NFL front office wanted to punish the Browns as well as Watson. I can only assume the other owners were upset with the fact it was fully guaranteed. Regardless of whether the other owners liked it or not, the Browns are free to offer any amount of money they want as long as they fall within the cap. If the league wanted to punish the Browns why not do something to the 4 other teams who aggressively tried to acquire him?

The reason I feel the league wanted to put some kind of pain on the Browns is the length of time it took to do anything about it. The issue came to light April of 2021, 16 months ago. Some said the NFL had to wait for the law/courts but they claim the grand jury had no impact on their decision. Judge Robinson took her time and wrote a very detailed decision showing she put a lot of thought into it. Then the league threw that aside and determined we needed another look, by a guy they announced within 48 hours. He then took 2 weeks.

This could have been settled months ago and if the league knew what they wanted the trade should have been disallowed and how does Houston stay clean when it was happening on their watch.

Now the strange 11 game amount costing the Browns a year of DWs services.

I am glad it is over and was prepared for 12 -17 games so no big deal, but it just reeks of punishing not just DW, but the Browns.

As an aside does anyone know if DW can still participate in pre-season and when can he return to the team to practice. Judge Robinson's decision had him back a cuople weeks before game 7 IIRC.

Just my 2 cents.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Haslam should not talk either. Always steps in it. Just let Dee speak.

1 member likes this: mgh888
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

As a Browns fan, the length of the suspension is depressing, but I'm glad the actual decision has been made. I also think Watson should shut his mouth and just say things like he is going to do all he can to improve as a player and a human being or something like that.

5 members like this: Floquinho, Hammer, mgh888
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Amen, I'm glad the decisions are over, now just execute the punishment and self-help phase. On to football. Go Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c,
I think that the punishment is too severe, but I'm grateful for the closure.

Go Browns!!!

[Linked Image]

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
The league and his fellow owners know he screwed EVERYONE with that joke of a contract.

How did they screw everyone?

And as Browns fans why would you care if they did?
Come on man - the cost of doing business is already skyrocketing. The owners cannot be happy about the price of signing players going forward. That's my view.

Sell the team then.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by hitt
Amen, I'm glad the decisions are over, now just execute the punishment and self-help phase. On to football. Go Browns!!!

You do understand that it's hard to "help yourself" when you keep denying you did anything wrong and claim this was all because people were triggered, right?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M

Always said the reports the NFL didn't want him playing the HOU game were total hogwash.

Like everyone - glad this is over, depressing as it is. Although Watson clearly something of an idiot to open his mouth like that. Jimmy we knew was an idiot also.

Having said this is "over" - don't be surprised if these allegations and the whole thing keeps rearing it's head every time the Browns are on national TV or make a playoff run for at least 12-24 months.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
D
Legend
Legend
D
j/c...

Clearly, he is truly contrite. The picture of penitence. Jeezus, Tony.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Is Watson just dumb?

1 member likes this: Floquinho
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg
j/c,

Someone needs to tweet to Amy Trask that there is no such thing as "very good men" (or women).

rofl

wink
Amy Trask
@AmyTrask
Okay this has been bugging me - in my tweet about the
@NFLPA
and @NFL
(below), I wanted to write "the overwhelming majority of players are tremendous men," but ran outta room so used vast instead of overwhelming and good instead of tremendous - okay now I feel better - and hi.

https://twitter.com/AmyTrask/status/1559540722109337600

Spoken like a true reprobate mind.

“Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:”

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by cfrs15
Is Watson just dumb?

NDA?

[Linked Image]

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by cfrs15
The league and his fellow owners know he screwed EVERYONE with that joke of a contract.

Come on man - the cost of doing business is already skyrocketing. The owners cannot be happy about the price of signing players going forward. That's my view.

Sell the team then.

Well, it is a well-known fact that the owners are losing a ton of money on their teams.

1 member likes this: FORTBROWNFAN
P
Legend
Legend
P
The NFL will probably move the Texans game to MNF so they can capitalize on the interest money it will bring ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by dawglover05
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by dawglover05
Interesting about the settlement talks. IMO, the league obviously has leverage because it pretty much knows how Harvey will decide. Watson isn't without leverage, though. If Harvey issues a ruling, the new CBA will be confirmed to be a lopsided horrible deal (more so than it already has) and Watson would have the option to go to federal court, as slim as the chance of success is there.

I'll be interested to see what happens to that appeals clause during the next round of negotiations.

I don't know. If they do and have had contract with Harvey, that would be totally improper on Harvey's part.

I don't think they have a contract with him in this case. That would definitely be improper. I just think they know how he would actually rule and/or have a very good indication.

My bad...I meant contact.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

The cost of signing players is already baked into every single year in a manner that guarantees each team makes money as long as the owner isn't a complete idiot.
It doesn't matter how much any one player costs, the total amount available to any team for signing ALL of their players is limited by the Salary Cap. Now, while the Cap may SEEM malleable, it really isn't. There are just techniques as far as accounting goes that allows team to move numbers around. Probably the biggest are renegotiating existing contracts and carrying over unused Cap from previous years (which we are EXCELLING at).

https://nflpa.com/posts/nfl-economics-101

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Originally Posted by Dawg Citizen
Some people are saying the 11-game suspension and fine is still too light. They are saying it should've been for the whole season.

I am sure there are people that wished he never played again, the suspension length should be enough to satisfy most reasonable concerns and send a message that similar behavior is not tolerated. Hopefully it is time to start moving forward.

1 member likes this: mgh888
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Originally Posted by mgh888

Always said the reports the NFL didn't want him playing the HOU game were total hogwash.

Like everyone - glad this is over, depressing as it is. Although Watson clearly something of an idiot to open his mouth like that. Jimmy we knew was an idiot also.

Having said this is "over" - don't be surprised if these allegations and the whole thing keeps rearing it's head every time the Browns are on national TV or make a playoff run for at least 12-24 months.

Could be that Watson wanted a shot the Houston and the NFL shortened it 1 game to give it to him. Maybe that is their punishment to the Texans.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by bonefish
I think that is just normal. People don't think in odd numbers or speak in odds numbers all that much.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

The fact the NFL was ok with 11 and he debuts playing Houston, where this all started, looks really bad and very much story-line fishing as Watson comes back to play.

10 games would look better for the NFL, IMO.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by LexDawg
Could be that Watson wanted a shot the Houston and the NFL shortened it 1 game to give it to him. Maybe that is their punishment to the Texans.

I highly doubt that anybody involved cared about what Watson wants.

It's far more likely that the NFL just wanted to ensure that Watson accrued a season and the Browns didn't reap the benefit of having him for part of the year while still getting him all of next year on that first-year contract number.
I'd wager that they were locked in on either 11 games or a full season and nothing else was an option.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
j/c:

The fact the NFL was ok with 11 and he debuts playing Houston, where this all started, looks really bad and very much story-line fishing as Watson comes back to play.

10 games would look better for the NFL, IMO.

Unless the outcome of all of this was determined prior to schedule release in April, or unless the schedule was created with a forward eye to this as a possibility/probability, I'd say that it is just a coincidence.

Browns is the Browns

P
Legend
Legend
P
The FBI must have something to do with it!

#gmstrong
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum DeShaun Watson in perpetuum et unum diem

Link Copied to Clipboard