Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
j/c:

As a Browns fan, the length of the suspension is depressing, but I'm glad the actual decision has been made. I also think Watson should shut his mouth and just say things like he is going to do all he can to improve as a player and a human being or something like that.

Lost for word. Is his advisers and the Browns top dogs also a bunch of idiots too?

All of you who defended him to the hilt has once again been let down and have to swallow another stupid. who was it that gave him permission to open his mouth in front of a camera in a Cleveland Browns uniform? Haven’t they learned anything since this started? Say hello to dumb and dumber!

All I can say with certainty is that this isn’t over yet, mark my words. Stupid people will always find a way to continue to be stupid.

Last edited by Referee 3; 08/18/22 02:37 PM.
B
Legend
Legend
B
No matter the feelings, I am glad things are set and the team can plan accordingly.

Go Browns!

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
The FBI must have something to do with it!

Impossible, this is far too organized and makes sense.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

2 members like this: FATE, PitDAWG
V
Legend
Legend
V
There is a distinct possibility Watson thinks he is innocent and he might very well be. However, it won't do him any good to continue to talk about it and instead, only draw the wrath of people who already have convicted him and want him punished. He should zip it and only talk about how he is going to be a better player and person moving forward.

With that said, it is my hope that a lot of people can talk about their feelings on Watson and league today and that the Refs move all the talk involving Watson--The Person to the Tailgate forum and the Pure Football forum can return to a forum that is about football.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
j/c:

The fact the NFL was ok with 11 and he debuts playing Houston, where this all started, looks really bad and very much story-line fishing as Watson comes back to play.

10 games would look better for the NFL, IMO.

Unless the outcome of all of this was determined prior to schedule release in April, or unless the schedule was created with a forward eye to this as a possibility/probability, I'd say that it is just a coincidence.

Why not 10 games or 12 games? What real difference would that have made in all of this?

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
There is a distinct possibility Watson thinks he is innocent and he might very well be.

You said you would accept Robinson's ruling. I guess not.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: mgh888
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Lolz.

Wait until JW takes over. We'll be clamoring for Jimmuh.

Tackles are tackles.
2 members like this: oobernoober, mgh888
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Rishuz
Just say no comment!

I'll take "What's the absolute dumbest thing DW could say immediately after the settlement is reached" for 400, Alex. Seriously, didn't anyone talk to him?

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Well at least it’s over. It’s not ideal for our franchise but what else is new.

As I said other places, this is a tricky spot for us because it’s tantamount to a wasted season. I thought 6-8 games was the max that Brissett could keep us afloat, but looking at that stretch of games from week 7-12 is BRUTAL

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by FATE
Originally Posted by bonefish
Funny because before it was announced I was wondering why all talk centered on even numbers

I remember checking and could only find suspensions with even numbers... at least the high profile cases. Do you know of any? Thought I found the reason when I saw "player can return to practice after half the suspension is served".

That is what I heard and saw, as well. The return to facility date and being practicing date sure don't match-up w/that proclamation.

Can anyone explain the discrepancy?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by jfanent
Just say no comment!

I'll take "What's the absolute dumbest thing DW could say immediately after the settlement is reached" for 400, Alex. Seriously, didn't anyone talk to him?

That was one of my first thoughts. Why the hell didn't anyone coach him on what to say and how to present himself? SMH

Legend
Legend
10 games isn't maximizing the suspension while still ensuring he accrues a season.
12 games prevents him from accruing a season and his contract would not advance. The Browns would get his services for the season at the bargain rate he is at AND still get him at that rate next year... the NFL wasn't going to reward us like that.

Browns is the Browns

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
JMHO, he sure hasn't paid for any PR help. Why he is innocent- had no father around him as he grew up, he learned about sex from the hood. I'm glad he's in counseling and real glad he's about to start the end of this situation.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Legend
Legend
j/c:

Suspended 11 games with a 5 million dollar fine and mandatory mental heath counseling.... Okay.

Since I'm a big Browns fan I would have suspended him 8 games, plus the 5 million dollar fine and without a doubt much needed counseling. If I wasn't a Browns fan? He would be suspended all season with a 5 to 10 million dollar fine and tons and tons of counseling. Personally, I think Mr. Happy Endings got off easy (no pun intended).

I'm glad the waiting is finally over. Now let's play some football!

M
Legend
Legend
M
I highly doubt that anybody involved cared about what Watson wants.

It's far more likely that the NFL just wanted to ensure that Watson accrued a season and the Browns didn't reap the benefit of having him for part of the year while still getting him all of next year on that first-year contract number.

Regards 11 games - regards the first game back being vs Houston .... This, 100% imo.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by hitt
Why he is innocent- had no father around him as he grew up, he learned about sex from the hood.

That's doesn't make anyone innocent or excuse behavior/choices. It may explain things, but it doesn't excuse anything.

Browns is the Browns

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Just say no comment!

That was one of my first thoughts. Why the hell didn't anyone coach him on what to say and how to present himself? SMH

After all this..why should anyone have to coach Watson about what to say or how to conduct himself?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by 3rd_and_20
I'm glad the waiting is finally over.

That's my favorite part of all of this. All of the important parts are answered and resolved and all of this can just die off now. I am SO SICK of hearing/seeing/reading about it and all of the inane back and forth.

Browns is the Browns

1 member likes this: 3rd_and_20
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by mac
After all this..why should anyone have to coach Watson about what to say or how to conduct himself?

He's had legal counsel surrounding him all along trying to coach him on what to say. It's very hard to do get someone to listen to you when they can't see their disgraceful behavior as wrong. It may also make it nearly impossible for anyone to help change that behavior.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Just say no comment!

Legend
Legend
My advice would be for him to no comment his way into retirement lol. Just say no comment I’m trying to help the team succeed

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
So it's still not over. Lovely.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
I'd counter that it is merely unique, not strange. It makes perfect sense completely aside from the opponent being Houston.

Browns is the Browns

A
Legend
Legend
A
So, after Robinson gave the 6 game suspension, it was over. Until it wasn't. Now, it's an 11 game suspension, a fine, and counseling. So, NOW it's over, right?

Oh, snap, nope, not over yet folks.

At least we got our qb of the future.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted by 3rd_and_20
I'm glad the waiting is finally over.

That's my favorite part of all of this. All of the important parts are answered and resolved and all of this can just die off now. I am SO SICK of hearing/seeing/reading about it and all of the inane back and forth.

Absolutely.

In these last few months, it got to the point where I would've settled for the slightly-more-athletic reincarnation of Caligula as long as he could process defenses quickly, not turn the ball over and play his best ball in the 4th quarter.

No more dark thoughts.

I know about our running game, hopes for Njoku and an improved defense - but we are in the hands of Brissett, Rosen and Dobbs.

Who knows what will happen. I'll be watching every game to find out.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I accepted the 6 games, so naturally, I accept this too. But there are a couple of points I'd like to know more about. Are the in-house browns-approved massages only bit still in place? How long is the mandatory shrink help? And honestly, I can't believe they settled for less than indefinite if he is still denying any wrongdoing. He seriously needs to shut up now, put his head down, and redeem himself with actions because him still denying any wrongdoing just makes him STILL RAPEY IMHO.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Well he made it "sound like" he accepted wrong doing right up until the final decision was rendered. Then he didn't. And some people actually believe this is over.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
10 games isn't maximizing the suspension while still ensuring he accrues a season.
12 games prevents him from accruing a season and his contract would not advance. The Browns would get his services for the season at the bargain rate he is at AND still get him at that rate next year... the NFL wasn't going to reward us like that.

I thought the punishment was for Watson. Not the browns.

Joe Thomas #73
P
Legend
Legend
P
Just because it turns out you aren't rewarded for your screw ups doesn't mean you were punished for them. Or maybe it does? Maybe a message is being sent not to reward a sexual predator with 24 sexual violations hanging over his head with a record setting contract. Hell if I know.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Did the Haynesworth suspension have game implications? like if it was six games he would have missed a rival game or something?

Joe Thomas #73
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
In Watson's defense, he can't openly accept responsibility or admit to any wrongdoing because the statute of limitations is open for 10-years for criminal acts and 5-years for civil. Remember, he still has one outstanding civil case and being he had encounters with 66 women, he's wide open for civil cases from Buzbee and the additional women while the DA can take him to the grand jury as many times as he/she wants if evidence points to criminal activity - like admitting he assaulted the women. There's no such thing a double jeopardy for GJ hearings.

That doesn't excuse him from the stupid azz remarks of standing up there claiming total innocence. Why doesn't he just give Buzbee and the remainder of the 66 women a reason to file more civil suits - dumb azz!

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by BADdog
Did the Haynesworth suspension have game implications? like if it was six games he would have missed a rival game or something?
No, nothing like that. To that point, there had only been two game suspensions for anything that took place on the field.

The 6-foot-6, 320-pound Haynesworth stomped on Dallas Cowboys
center Andre Gurode's head Sunday, knocking off his helmet, then
kicked and stomped his face. Gurode needed 30 stitches to repair
the cuts left by the tackle's cleats.

The egregiousness of the act had many expecting a four game suspension. Rog did them one better and handed out the unprecedented suspension. Why? Because he's Rog and suspensions are largely based on public outrage.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
Legend
Legend
P
But if he had a brain he could STFU.

#gmstrong
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Originally Posted by LexDawg
Could be that Watson wanted a shot the Houston and the NFL shortened it 1 game to give it to him. Maybe that is their punishment to the Texans.

It's far more likely that the NFL just wanted to ensure that Watson accrued a season and the Browns didn't reap the benefit of having him for part of the year while still getting him all of next year on that first-year contract number.
I'd wager that they were locked in on either 11 games or a full season and nothing else was an option.

Sorry if I wasn't as clear on my suggestion. The NFL wanted 12 games, Watson wouldn't agree. It's possible Watson told them if it was 11 games they would have an agreement. He wanted to play Houston, the NFL got really close to their 12 games. So they had a settlement. I didn't mean the NFL wanted him to play Houston.

L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
My advice would be for him to no comment his way into retirement lol. Just say no comment I’m trying to help the team succeed

I 'like' the statement from Dee & Jimmy, owning there is an issue and trying to turn positives out of it. Investing in programs in NEO to grow education, awareness and understanding of sexual misconduct and the underlying causes.

I 'like' the statement from Watson, taking accountability for the decisions he made and apologizing for the pain that was caused.

But the interview screams "The Browns put out a statement in his name."

Last edited by LexDawg; 08/18/22 04:05 PM.
2nd String
2nd String
Could be that Watson wanted a shot the Houston and the NFL shortened it 1 game to give it to him. Maybe that is their punishment to the Texans.

I'd wager that they were locked in on either 11 games or a full season and nothing else was an option.

Sorry if I wasn't as clear on my suggestion. The NFL wanted 12 games, Watson wouldn't agree. It's possible Watson told them if it was 11 games they would have an agreement. He wanted to play Houston, the NFL got really close to their 12 games. So they had a settlement. I didn't mean the NFL wanted him to play Houston.

He doesn't give a second thought about playing Houston, he didn't want his contract to toll.

1 member likes this: Jester
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Originally Posted by IrishDawg42

He doesn't give a second thought about playing Houston, he didn't want his contract to toll.

Valid point as well, but we don't really know he doesn't want a chance to beat them. I'd lean more to your point as the reason he would settle at 11 games.

Edit: I also think the settlement speaks to how much "leverage the NFLPA" truly had, it was discussed they had a ton but it's probably closer to none.

Last edited by LexDawg; 08/18/22 04:36 PM.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
[quote=MemphisBrownie][/quote]

This sure sounds like Buzbee is on the warpath and this isn't done yet by any stretch of the imagination.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum DeShaun Watson in perpetuum et unum diem

Link Copied to Clipboard