Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
FATE #1960860 08/05/22 12:46 PM
Legend
Legend
jc

yo whats going on with this new surge in covid? not liking the numbers rising back up.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1960887 08/05/22 01:42 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
This variant is incredibly highly transmissible. People are easily getting it at outdoor gatherings… summer concerts, festivals, family BBQs, amusement parks, public pools…
Most people are just having sore throats and sinus congestion, but the fatigue and ‘foggy brain’ post sickness is still very prevalent.

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
I had it a month or so ago, and it was the weirdest sickness I've had. "Foggy brain" is a good a description as any, I guess. It was just really weird.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
I have it now (tested positive on Tuesday, again yesterday) but most symptoms are gone. First time I've tested positive since this all began. Nothing too extreme, felt like I had strep.

Sore throat.
Congested.
Regular, deep coughing.
Full body aching (at the beginning).

I probably had a fever, but I didn't check. But you kinda know if you have a fever....it's a feeling we've all had and can pinpoint immediately.

Tackles are tackles.
FATE #1960927 08/05/22 05:18 PM
Legend
Legend
My wife's cousin and his girlfriend both picked it up on an extended Pacific Northwest/Alaska cruise. I found it interesting that both have lost their sense of taste. I thought that particular symptom was only present in the earlier strains, but a couple other people responding to his fb post have also lost it. He lives in California.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Swish #1960961 08/05/22 08:38 PM
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
The only good news is people mostly are not dying....Daughter and son-in-law, Vegas HS reunion- lots got covid- they stayed 5 extra days in Vegas/ then flew home....followed CDC....they had shots....five guys at retirement community golf course- whole 4some got covid- not dying, but ugly sick. Another problem- less than 50% population has had booster...some only one shot....this could get UGLY again.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
FATE #1961144 08/06/22 10:39 PM
FATE Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Get your booster!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #1961149 08/06/22 11:11 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Take your Vitamin D!!

No Craps Given
FATE #1961150 08/06/22 11:12 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Semi correct. Yes get your booster (2nd booster - but in September.

The current vaccine and prior covid infection are poorly protective against current predominate circulating strain.
There is an updated vaccine that will available in September (perhaps early October) that should be protective.

As for the numbers shown, 67% of deaths are vaccinated suggests that the majority of people now dying from covid are vaccinated implying that you are more likely to die from covid if you are vaccinated. But 67% of the population is vaccinated and/or boosted so essentially, no difference. However if you do a deeper dive into the numbers presented vaccinated and boosted are less likely to die from covid. Unvaccinated is essentially exactly the percentage. And vaccinated but not boosted are more likely to die.

This can be explained as follows:
1st - vaccinated and boosted is not broken down to vaccinated and boosted once vs vaccinated and doubly boosted.
I would bet if you looked at those numbers the doubly boosted would have even fewer deaths and the vaccinated and boosted would be equivalent ot the vaccinated not boosted.

2nd - Almost everyone vaccinated shortly after the vaccine came out and not boosted will not still have protective levels of antibodies. Depending on when someone got boosted, they may or may not have good levels. However, many of them are going to presume that they still have protective antibodies at adequate levels so will act as if they are protected and actually increasing their risk of getting covid.

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
2 members like this: mgh888, PortlandDawg
Jester #1961157 08/07/22 03:51 AM
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Originally Posted by Jester
Semi correct. Yes get your booster (2nd booster - but in September.

The current vaccine and prior covid infection are poorly protective against current predominate circulating strain.
There is an updated vaccine that will available in September (perhaps early October) that should be protective.

As for the numbers shown, 67% of deaths are vaccinated suggests that the majority of people now dying from covid are vaccinated implying that you are more likely to die from covid if you are vaccinated. But 67% of the population is vaccinated and/or boosted so essentially, no difference. However if you do a deeper dive into the numbers presented vaccinated and boosted are less likely to die from covid. Unvaccinated is essentially exactly the percentage. And vaccinated but not boosted are more likely to die.

This can be explained as follows:
1st - vaccinated and boosted is not broken down to vaccinated and boosted once vs vaccinated and doubly boosted.
I would bet if you looked at those numbers the doubly boosted would have even fewer deaths and the vaccinated and boosted would be equivalent ot the vaccinated not boosted.

2nd - Almost everyone vaccinated shortly after the vaccine came out and not boosted will not still have protective levels of antibodies. Depending on when someone got boosted, they may or may not have good levels. However, many of them are going to presume that they still have protective antibodies at adequate levels so will act as if they are protected and actually increasing their risk of getting covid.

Even more importantly - old people are more likely to be both vaccinated and boosted and are more likely to die of Covid (regardless of vaccination status). If you don't break down the answer for people of different ages, you will get the wrong answer.

To make up illustrative numbers:

Pretend that 50% of the population is "old" and 50% is "young", and that 90% of the old population is vaccinated and 10% of the young percentage is vaccinated. If old people had a 1% chance of dying of Covid if they are unvaccinated and a 0.1% chance of dying of covid if they are vaccinated -- and young people have a 0.1% chance of dying of Covid if they are unvaccinated and 0.01% chance of dying of Covid if they are vaccinated, then if everybody got Covid, the number of unvaccinated deaths and vaccinated deaths would be essentially equal - even though the vaccine decreases the chance that you die by 90% in both age groups.

This Scientific American article also explains: https://www.scientificamerican.com/...-for-vaccinated-and-unvaccinated-people/

~Lyuokdea
3 members like this: mgh888, Clemdawg, PortlandDawg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Good addition to my post.

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
FATE #1963465 08/18/22 10:22 AM
FATE Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
MIDTERMS!! lololol

CDC announces sweeping reorganization, aimed at changing the agency's culture and restoring public trust

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/17/health/cdc-announces-sweeping-changes/index.html

1 member likes this: MemphisBrownie
FATE #1963506 08/18/22 12:27 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I have no idea how overhauling and fixing a broken system is a bad thing in terms of an election?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
FATE Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
It's broken? Last I checked it was all science. If you questioned anything you were ignoring science. Six feet? Science. Change six feet to three feet so kids can go back to school? They came right out and said "science prevails" lmfao.

Now the CDC is a voluntary scapegoat for everything that went wrong ahead of the midterms??

Don't need a weathervane, bro.

FATE #1963547 08/18/22 01:29 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Of course it seems it wasn't the guidelines that were the problem. It was the lack of speed they were announced and the execution itself in the response. But you do you.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Of course it seems it wasn't the guidelines that were the problem. It was the lack of speed they were announced and the execution itself in the response. But you do you.

Oh, and a brand new virus that no one knew anything about as well. Remember "2 weeks to curb the rise"? No vaccine, etc. No help from anyone - ANYWHERE, no answers, etc. It takes science a bit of time. And then they change their mind. Remember all of that?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Oh I remember. You know, it used to be considered an attribute to admit your mistakes and move forward by trying to fix them. Now? Not so much obviously.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
Hindsight tells us mistakes were made. Science didn't know any better then. NOT politics. Science.

FATE #1963636 08/18/22 04:15 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by FATE
It's broken? Last I checked it was all science. If you questioned anything you were ignoring science. Six feet? Science. Change six feet to three feet so kids can go back to school? They came right out and said "science prevails" lmfao.

Now the CDC is a voluntary scapegoat for everything that went wrong ahead of the midterms??

I'm not sure it's broken so much as beat down after Trump's meddling and the misinformation campaign against them to detract from Trump's abysmal failure of handling the pandemic in the earlier stages. GOPers made science political with disinformation, period. So several of our most important institutions need makeovers and PR campaigns due to relentless political attacks from the fascist right who seem deadset on destroying democracy in America. You can thank the idiots who buy the BS on your side of the aisle.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 08/18/22 04:17 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
Hindsight tells us mistakes were made. Science didn't know any better then. NOT politics. Science.

In addition to countless mistakes made, a lot of repeated apologies are necessary too. Especially the displays made from people on this board.

Tackles are tackles.
FATE Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg

I'm not sure it's broken so much as beat down after Trump's meddling and the misinformation campaign against them to detract from Trump's abysmal failure of handling the pandemic in the earlier stages. GOPers made science political with disinformation, period. So several of our most important institutions need makeovers and PR campaigns due to relentless political attacks from the fascist right who seem deadset on destroying democracy in America. You can thank the idiots who buy the BS on your side of the aisle.

Ahhh... they were so "beat down" by Trump that they continued to screw the pooch for another two years. Got it.

I guess I should have known that this was Trump's fault. rofl

FATE Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

In addition to countless mistakes made, a lot of repeated apologies are necessary too. Especially the displays made from people on this board.

Nah, that will never happen.

Isn't it crazy that when "science", as if professed from a crystal ball, turns out to be wrong... and much of the "disinformation" turns out to be right... it's still the fault of those who dared to ask any questions?

FATE #1963654 08/18/22 04:51 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
I'm a proponent of science... this wasn't science. This was politics and greed, knowing there was a ton of money to be made.

But you are right (apologies and such).....none of that will ever happen. Especially here.

Tackles are tackles.
FATE #1963668 08/18/22 06:04 PM
Legend
Legend
j/c:

I work at Amazon and they had plexiglass barriers everywhere, since right after Covid hit hard. This week they took down all the ones that were in the lunchrooms. I hope this is a good sign even though I don't think Covid is going to go away anytime soon... Besides now we have something new to worry about - Monkeypox. (Ugh!!!)

A
Legend
Legend
A
How would YOU handle a brand new virus, that no one knows anything about?

Jester #1963699 08/18/22 08:02 PM
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Jester could you direct me to your source for the natural immunity from previous infection is not effective against this new strain. I have not read anything like that. It took the cdc 3 years to acknowledge that natural immunity was as effective, or more, and as long lasting, or longer, than the vaccine. I will be interested if that new info is from the cdc.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Oh I remember. You know, it used to be considered an attribute to admit your mistakes and move forward by trying to fix them. Now? Not so much obviously.

Like Watsons apology, it is too little too late.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
FATE #1963735 08/18/22 11:31 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg

Ahhh... they were so "beat down" by Trump that they continued to screw the pooch for another two years. Got it.

I guess I should have known that this was Trump's fault. rofl

Yes, if your head had a better view than the inside of your butt, you should have known. Laugh at that, I did.

O
Legend
Legend
O
How would YOU handle a brand new virus, that no one knows anything about?

I would recognize that I had no idea how to handle it and would call in every scientist in the field for their advice. But you have to have a sense of humility and not be a flipping idiot to do that. This is exactly why Trump failed so miserably. That and his ridiculous mental issue with ever admitting he was wrong or made a mistake. I damn sure wouldn't ask an expert if we should shove UV lights up our asses or ingest disinfectant. smfh.

FATE #1963748 08/19/22 05:39 AM
Legend
Legend
J/c

My parents both had covid recently and felt exactly what was described above: not very serious symptoms but just felt off. It lingered a few days but they feel fine now.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
FATE #1963772 08/19/22 08:56 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Isn't it crazy that when "science", as if professed from a crystal ball, turns out to be wrong... and much of the "disinformation" turns out to be right...

I haven't been paying attention - but read the last few posts.... this caught my eye. What disinformation was right? The disinformation I remember hearing from the last government still seems like disinformation: That it was going to disappear with the warm weather, that bleach or UV might be a solution, that Bill Gates was going to put microchips in you with the vaccine (that one was Trump supporter, not Trump himself), Ivermectin, Hydroxychloroquine ..... I mean I know the WHO and the CDC didn't get it all right - hell maybe they didn't get much right? But what was the disinformation that proved to be correct ? And by comparison a country like Sweden went in the opposite direction to the rest of the world with their response - and after a catastrophic rise in Covid cases and deaths they reversed their direction .... Countries like South Korea and New Zealand who were strictest seem to have been regarded as the most successful.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
P
Legend
Legend
P

So you are shocked that an entire new disease nobody had ever heard of took time to figure out and that it was a learn as you go process? I'm shocked you are shocked.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Squires

Like Watsons apology, it is too little too late.

You must have missed the press conference right after the public statements yesterday. His apology was because the women were "triggered" and he still claims he did nothing wrong. In case you missed it, that isn't an apology for anything he did wrong.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A

So you are shocked that an entire new disease nobody had ever heard of took time to figure out and that it was a learn as you go process? I'm shocked you are shocked.

Read your post ^^^ again. Go slowly. Try to understand.

See, people are bashing trump for it.

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Of course President trump failed miserably! That goes without saying. I know that because candidate biden pointed to the number of Covid deaths and said the President had failed miserably because of all these deaths. Seems like north of 400,000. So losing all those lives clearly demonstrates failure. But, but…….. wait a minute. We have had more Covid deaths since trump left office than we had while he was in office. So I guess if trump was a failure biden must be a mega failure!

The most interesting part of that is that trump encountered a virus never seen before. We had no treatment regimens, we had novaccines . We were flying blind. And we were flying without instruments. Biden on the other hand, benefited from all that had been learned in the previous year. Treatments, a vaccine ready to go , everything that we did not have one year earlier. And yet more deaths. Hmmm.

Trump deserves a lot of credit but people like you, dominated by a visceral hatred and an uncontrolled anger will never see it. Blinded by the light.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Blinded by light for being right? I think Trump's body count was closer to a million. And yes, there are still deaths. But most of the deaths under Trump were avoidable because he could have supported the science and chose not to for purely political reasons and greed. We never had to have the great "masks" debates, the "alternative meds" debates, or the "lockdown (can't work can't eat) starvation" idiocy. Masks were a no-brainer until Trump took a dump on the notion of making them mandatory. His idiotic inability to be wrong or look stupid (he's good at stupid) caused people to die drinking bleach ffs. And Trump initiated the lockdowns THEN goes to war with his own policy and science staff to end them because he was criticized for handouts and bitched at "financial losses" by the elite who faced little fear of being exposed in their ivory towers. They convinced working-class right-wingers that the richest country in the world was too poor to keep people safe with supplemental income while we figured this out! And yes, I know some industries like agriculture and grocery stores were vital and had to keep producing, but everybody could have lived without things like carpet cleaning. No offense to arch, but had he had the basics covered and not feared losing everything or being able to provide for his family, he would never have had to risk exposure and or death to survive. I mean Canada gave every adult $2K a month for well over a year and they aren't doing any worse than us economy-wise right now. How is that possible? Because we were all being lied to so the rich could stuff their pockets. But I get how a trump simp would think this was all 'visceral hatred and uncontrolled anger'... rolleyes

P
Legend
Legend
P
What? Trump said you didn't need to wear a mask. Trump made up crazy BS about alternative forms of medicine. Asking stupid ass questions about injecting disinfectants in front of the entire nation. What trump took so much grief for, at least from many, was his refusal to go along with many of the sensible guidelines the CDC set forth and promoting quack medication with no basis of evidence they even worked. If you wish to somehow equate those two in your mind go ahead.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
I'll just quote you again. You said "So you are shocked that an entire new disease nobody had ever heard of took time to figure out and that it was a learn as you go process?" No, I'm not shocked by that.

It seems you literally cannot understand, or are unable to reason.

Read this, from Keith: "The most interesting part of that is that trump encountered a virus never seen before. We had no treatment regimens, we had novaccines . We were flying blind. And we were flying without instruments. Biden on the other hand, benefited from all that had been learned in the previous year. Treatments, a vaccine ready to go , everything that we did not have one year earlier. And yet more deaths. Hmmm."

Add to those FACTS that it wasn't just the U.S. It was basically the WORLD. But, you hate trump, so you attempt to make a big deal out of it, completely missing the facts of what you stated - an attempt to belittle trump.

1 member likes this: EveDawg
B
Legend
Legend
B
You are wasting your time Arch.. some people think what they want to think and read what they want to read.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
You are wasting your time Arch.. some people think what they want to think and read what they want to read.

And those people are morons and sheep who regurgitated the most recent politicized headlines at the time and felt warm and fuzzy inside telling people they were bad human beings for asking questions. In the last two years, I've seen the worst of humanity and it was not the anti-vaccine side. Most of that virtual signaling vitriol was displayed by the routinely identified clowns on this board.

Tackles are tackles.
2 members like this: FATE, EveDawg
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Covid ~ Part 10

Link Copied to Clipboard