Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 68,327
Likes: 1369
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 68,327
Likes: 1369
Every year this is an annual thread. I'm not usually the poster who originates the thread but it's only one week away until the Bills and Rams kick off the 2022 season. I don't know if this thread is normally posted by anyone specific anyway. In years past posters sometimes explain the reasoning behind their predictions while others just post the numbers alone. There's no one size fits all to how it gets addressed. I'm one who at least tries to explain my reasoning so I will do so in this post. For me it's pure conjecture. As has been pointed out, preseason means very little in regards to the regular season. We have seen very little of the starters. We can't predict injuries or how many of the questions that we have will be answered. All any of us can do is predicate our opinions of the season record with the factors we can account for now and how that may impact the season record. And all of that is once again an opinion based on how we feel things will or might play out. So here goes....

I predict 7-10. I know, I know. That's certainly not what anyone wants to hear or believe. That's not really what I want to believe either but I have reasons why I do. Just last year my prediction was 10-7 and people acted like I was the one who crucified Christ because I didn't predict even more wins. But I digress. So I will list the points that made me arrive at that conclusion whether that conclusion is right or wrong.

The WR room.

I see it as being very weak. Cooper's numbers declined in both of his last two seasons in Dallas. He went from 1189 yards in 2019, to 1114 in 2020 all the way down to 865 last year. The thing that stands out most to me is that last year he was relegated to Dallas #2 WR. So that means he had a lot more single coverage than he had in the prior two years as Dallas #1 target. I don't see that as a positive sign. Behind Cooper we have DPJ who has shown potential and ability, has not stepped up to being someone the Browns can count on for heavy production. Can it happen now that he is the #2 WR? Yes, it can. Yet I think people should remember that their talk about DPJ stepping up this season was predicated on having a QB who could elevate the players around him. That's not the current situation the Browns are in. Behind these there's pretty much nothing but JAG's. And that's being kind.

The OL.

The Browns have a great OL with one exception. The C position. What they have there is a complete mystery in terms of a starting caliber NFL C. And I've seen people say that with Botonio one one side ad Tretter on the the side, that will be able to help compensate to soften the blow if there's a problem. And that's certainly true for helping to disguise the C problem. But how can Botonio and Tretter play the G position up to their normal level if they're busy compensating to help the C? In real time they can't be doing both at the same time. So if they're compensating for the C it will certainly impact their G play to some extent. I mean you can't be getting to the second level if you're inside helping your C block. So while there is a question in my mind how all of this is going to work out, if they get sold C play it should be a non issue. We'll see.

DT

While if the Browns get solid play from the C position they should be able to run the ball, will they be able to stop their opposition from running the ball? As of now I have no idea. I think JOK is certainly a valuable tool in making that a reality, but once again he can't be in two places at the same time. He can't step inside and help in run protection while being in the flat in pass protection. What I haven't seen anyone talk about is how going all in to help prevent the opposition from running the ball on the inside can open up the short passing game to Browns opponents. I look for the Browns opponents to use a heavy dose of play action to exploit this.

PR

I think all the ground has already been covered in how weak they are in talent as it pertains to having a top tier punt returner. It does make a difference in field position.

TE

They gave Njoku a huge contract. Once again based more on potential than than being a top ten TE. This will be his sixth NFL season. Sure from an age perspective he's still young for a sixth year NFL TE, I still have trouble recalling NFL TE's who have suddenly broken into being a top 10 TE in year six of their NFL career. As far as depth at the TE position goes, I think they're worse off than they were last season.

QB

This is the area I think is the most critical. While at this time watson is scheduled to be back in week 12. As I said to begin with preseason isn't a guide to the regular season but I do believe seeing the rust with watson was very real. So when he comes back in week 12, how many weeks will it be until we see the normal watson? I for one don't think it's realistic to expect a watson that's playing up to his regular form straight out of the gate though I have no idea how many weeks/games it will take until he does.

The vast majority of posters on this board stated that we couldn't win the division or compete anymore because we had three great or strong QB's within the division. That without a big upgrade we were screwed. It's not my intention to debate that point here. But what it does is bring into question why anyone would now think differently when we won't have that until week 12 and even then watson will certainly be rusty. So when will the browns have that huge upgrade at QB? Week 14, 15 or later?

I fully understand that Brissett hasn't played a single down with the Browns. He was a turnover machine in one stint as a starter and a steady minimal games manager another time as starter. No team has ever considered him an NFL starter other than in the backup role. There is nothing there that indicates he will be an upgrade over what we saw last year even with Brissett being healthy. Once again, there's hope and there's wishing. But I don't base these predictions on hope and wishes. I base them on past performance, current circumstances and trying to be realistic.

Last year they won 8 games. I think we're worse at the WR position, most likely the C position, the QB position, TE depth beyond Njoku. I believe that will account for one less win this season than last season.

As an overall I can see the Browns winning anywhere between 6-8 games. But you know, we have to make a prediction so I settled on the middle of what I saw as a realistic possibility. It would make me happy to be wrong about it.


Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 50,003
Likes: 370
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 50,003
Likes: 370
6-8 wins. I just can't see much more than that.


Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,882
Likes: 185
H
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
H
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,882
Likes: 185
I've been saying that right along. 6-8 wins and last place in our division and I'd love to be dead wrong. Well, at least we'll get a high 2nd round pick!

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,882
Likes: 185
H
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
H
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,882
Likes: 185
Like to add one thing. A healthy Jacoby Brisset may be a little better than a hurt Baker. JB does have some experience and has started before. Again, we'll have to wait to see what happens.

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 12,638
Likes: 591
M
Legend
Offline
Legend
M
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 12,638
Likes: 591
10-7 .... No idea how we get there, but that's what it needs to be. Way too much talent on the team to squander a season and flush it down the drain.


The more things change the more they stay the same.
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,631
Likes: 1048
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,631
Likes: 1048
I have to see a game.

I just don't know JB with this team. I have not seen him play much at all.

I know the rest of the team. I believe our defense can be very good.

I know we can run the ball and have a much better kicker.

But I have to see Jacoby operate the offense.

I just looked at the schedule. I just don't know how we will play some of the teams on the schedule. There looks to be games that could go either way. How do we play the Steelers, Bengals, and Ravens? I don't know.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,635
Likes: 240
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,635
Likes: 240
Depends how the games go but i could easily see 5-12 to 7-10


Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,810
Likes: 51
I
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
I
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,810
Likes: 51
The Browns are a talented team.but it takes more than talent
To win. The coaching staff returns intact. So there is continuity on
The teaching end of things.

The defense is ahead of the offense as far playmakers go.
However though, it's a offensive driven league,fueled by passing.
And that's where the questions come Into play.

Yeah the Browns can run the ball. It's the best attack in the league
But you can't rely on a running game to advance to the SB.
Brisset is under the gun to have a above .500 record.
He can play game manager,but he can't outduel the Jacksons,the Burrows
And the Allen's up ahead.
To make matters worse,he lacks the vertical killers to open up defenses
Berry has failed to bring elite talented WRs to the team.

I see a talented defense that could be burned out cause of ineffective
Passing game.

Cade York equals how many possible wins ?? 2 3?
Browns 6 11.not enough firepower on offense to be a playoff team

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 32,702
Likes: 676
O
Legend
Offline
Legend
O
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 32,702
Likes: 676
You're going to be in trouble with Big V the way this is going. lmao

Seriously though, I think we could go as low as 3-4 wins or as high as 10. My expectation is 6-8. And not because I like Baker.

And I say the 3-4 if subpar QB play or lousy play calling gets in their heads early, we're toast. I don't think this team looks remotely ready for the season, IMHO.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 09/01/22 07:16 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,858
Likes: 276
L
Legend
Offline
Legend
L
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,858
Likes: 276
15-5, parade in mid-Feb


[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 70,654
Likes: 510
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 70,654
Likes: 510
At Carolina - LOSS - they have a better offense, at home, and we never win openers
NY Jets - WIN - Flacco will probably be starting. We should win this.
Pittsburgh - LOSS - I have a sneaking feeling again that Pittsburgh will be better than people think. Great defense.
At Atlanta - WIN - 50/50 game because I think Atlanta has some scary guys to catch passes.
LA Chargers - LOSS - They are a super bowl talented roster. Might be an ugly game.
New England - WIN - I think this will be low scoring and we can inch one out.
At Baltimore - LOSS - Lamar runs wild and Tucker wins it for them again.
Cincinnati - LOSS - simply because you’re going to have to outscore them.
At Miami - LOSS - on the road and a 50/50 game. They have scary offensive weapons.
At Buffalo - LOSS - same as the Charger game. This could be a route.
Tampa Bay - LOSS - assuming Brady stays healthy.
At Houston - WIN - desperate win for us with Watson in the fold.
At Cincinnati - LOSS - again, they have a great offense and Watson won’t be all there yet.
Baltimore - WIN - we split with them.
New Orleans - WIN - 50/50 game, but I’ll give it to us at home in the cold.
At Washington - WIN - they won’t have much to play for at this point, and neither will we.
At Pittsburgh - LOSS - they still have an outside shot at the playoffs at this point and we don’t.


7-9. I think this is pretty realistic.


"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 15,979
Likes: 83
T
Legend
Offline
Legend
T
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 15,979
Likes: 83
When I look at that schedule, Ok, you say
Carolina loss,
Jets win
Pittsburg loss
Atlanta Win, ok, ok,
2-2 I can take your word that that is a plausible, somewhat plausible scenario.

but I don't see any more wins, (looking for the wins?)
Chargers loss (If the NFL stole it last year, they'll steal it again.
New England LOSS, you had win, (Bellichic schooled the Browns last year, it may happen again.
At Baltimore Thatl'll be a loss because well, yaknow? hmm. (Maybe theres' a chance it comes down to a kick? I'm saying there's a chance.

Cincinnati, WIN, another time where Myles Garrett and the defense just wills it to happen.
At Miami loss
At Buffalo WIN, (5 or 4 years ago, the Browns beat them because Myles Garrett had a big play, and I think it happens again.)
Tampa Bay Loss.
Then you have supposedly Deshaun Watson joins the team. ... able to suit up and play.

What do I say the record is so far? ... (Counting 4-7, , 5-6 if they beat balt, they'll either split with the Ravens and Bengals or lose to the other one. so 4-7.

Watson comes back, Houston game?
Houston win
at Cincinnati Loss, 5-8, at this point they'll be almost eliminated
Baltimore Baltimore at home, WIN, (the NFL will want to point out that a league manufactured Watson win is something Baker rarely could do
New Orleans
At Washington
At Pittsburgh
So 6-8 with 3 games to play is the best case scenario if everything goes right, the best somewhat plausible scenario.

If the Browns are 5-9 and then lose to New Orleans, then I think they'll give up on the last two. (well not give up, but, ya, everyone knows)
So, 5-I2 is easily possible.
and then haslam does what he does and ...


Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,574
Likes: 124
D
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,574
Likes: 124
This team went 8-9 last season with an injured Baker Mayfield. I do believe Brissett is better than an injured Baker Mayfield. I think the roster is better especially on defense. I see a 2 win improvement on last season.


Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 38,620
Likes: 823
B
Legend
Offline
Legend
B
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 38,620
Likes: 823
Originally Posted by Day of the Dawg
This team went 8-9 last season with an injured Baker Mayfield. I do believe Brissett is better than an injured Baker Mayfield. I think the roster is better especially on defense. I see a 2 win improvement on last season.

Having woken up at 2:30, I have just watched the 1st half of the Bears game for the first time, I don't agree with that. At least on the Jacoby front. I have a feeling people will be calling for Dobbs early and often.

That said, I don't really disagree with the win totals you project.


If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong




[Linked Image]
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 16,775
Likes: 404
R
Legend
Offline
Legend
R
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 16,775
Likes: 404
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
At Carolina - LOSS - they have a better offense, at home, and we never win openers
NY Jets - WIN - Flacco will probably be starting. We should win this.
Pittsburgh - LOSS - I have a sneaking feeling again that Pittsburgh will be better than people think. Great defense.
At Atlanta - WIN - 50/50 game because I think Atlanta has some scary guys to catch passes.
LA Chargers - LOSS - They are a super bowl talented roster. Might be an ugly game.
New England - WIN - I think this will be low scoring and we can inch one out.
At Baltimore - LOSS - Lamar runs wild and Tucker wins it for them again.
Cincinnati - LOSS - simply because you’re going to have to outscore them.
At Miami - LOSS - on the road and a 50/50 game. They have scary offensive weapons.
At Buffalo - LOSS - same as the Charger game. This could be a route.
Tampa Bay - LOSS - assuming Brady stays healthy.
At Houston - WIN - desperate win for us with Watson in the fold.
At Cincinnati - LOSS - again, they have a great offense and Watson won’t be all there yet.
Baltimore - WIN - we split with them.
New Orleans - WIN - 50/50 game, but I’ll give it to us at home in the cold.
At Washington - WIN - they won’t have much to play for at this point, and neither will we.
At Pittsburgh - LOSS - they still have an outside shot at the playoffs at this point and we don’t.


7-9. I think this is pretty realistic.

I agree with this. I think 7 is probably the ceiling.

It's a wasted season again unless the defense becomes top 5 level. If there are one or two significant injuries on defense, say to Garrett and Ward, it's going to be really bad.

I keep saying this but people should set the appropriate expectations so not to be let down. It's going to be a long, unenjoyable season.

Enjoy the fall, family, holidays ...don't expect the Browns to be a source of enjoyment.


LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,882
Likes: 185
H
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
H
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,882
Likes: 185
The worst thing Jimmy Haslam can do is blow this up if we only win 6-7 games. We have talent, a good coach and a good GM in AB. Stay the course we have set. We'll have our QB back full-time next season. In the meantime, you do the best you can with what you have this year. JMO

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,631
Likes: 1048
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,631
Likes: 1048
I guess it is just me but I can not just pack it in before a single game has been played.

Rosters in the NFL are ever changing and by a lot. New players enter the league. Free agents move to other teams. Some players improve by big margins. Others decline. Injuries hit all teams and we don't know where they will hit.

Yes there is history for Jacoby Brissett and he is a backup. But we have not seen him play with this team.

There is a lot of talent on the Browns. Myles, Chubb, Hunt, Ward, Newsome, Bitonio, Teller, Cooper, Jok, Clowney, Delpit.

We have depth especially in the secondary and at running back. Places other teams do not have and positions often hit by injury.

We do not need miracles from JB. All we need is efficient play.

I can not in fairness sit here today and say "oh the Browns ceiling is 8 games. Sorry, no can do.

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 55,499
Likes: 906
V
Legend
Offline
Legend
V
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 55,499
Likes: 906
j/c:

It's hard for me to make this prediction w/out seeing JB in this offense, but what the heck. The schedule starts off favorably, but the middle of it is brutal. There are a few winnable games towards the end, but I wonder if Watson will be rusty when he returns?

We have a very good OL if Conklin can stay healthy. I worry about our center in regards to pass blocking. He is a good run blocker, but his PFF pass blocking grade is awful. That could really hurt JB.

Obviously, we have great RBs.

I expect a big year from Njoku.

Cooper is a good WR, but I'm disappointed that Berry didn't get another WR. Not keeping Landry was a mistake. To not replace him w/another guy is borderline criminal.

I like our Edge guys and secondary, especially our corners. I don't think our LBers are very good other than JOK. I don't think any of them are very good in stopping the run and that is an issue because I don't like our DTs. That's a weak unit.

We are going to be weak at QB for at least the first 11 games. JB is a quality backup, but I think he has shown to be a poor starter. I think our OL and scheme can help him, but he isn't going to win us games. I don't think he will be worse than our 3 QBs were last year, but I doubt he will be better.

I think a realistic win total is between 8 and 10 games, w/8 and 9 being more likely than 10. I don't think we will be as awful as some are claiming, but it's disappointing because I think we would have been a legitimate Super Bowl contender w/Watson playing the full season. Now, I see no chance of that happening.

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 12,280
Likes: 604
O
Legend
Offline
Legend
O
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 12,280
Likes: 604
Assuming our injury situation is better than last year, I still think we should do better. We can argue healthy JB vs hurt Baker until the cows come home, but the Oline is so much more important than either of those guys, and we should be healthier this year than we were last year. Getting Conklin fully healthy sooner rather than later is key, and then continued health of the Oline should help this offense much more than the difference between 2 underperforming QBs.

Defense should come out of the gate hot (vs getting torched like last year), and key contributors aren't rookies anymore. Defense has no excuse.

You could make the argument that, at this point last year, the beginning of our season was tougher than it is this year. Chicago and Texans games were predictably easy opponents, but Minnesota started last season really strong, and we also had Chargers and Chiefs.

So long as our injury situation doesn't go like it did last year, I think we should win more games than last year.


There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 11,522
Likes: 1869
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 11,522
Likes: 1869
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
At Carolina - LOSS - they have a better offense, at home, and we never win openers
NY Jets - WIN - Flacco will probably be starting. We should win this.
Pittsburgh - LOSS - I have a sneaking feeling again that Pittsburgh will be better than people think. Great defense.
At Atlanta - WIN - 50/50 game because I think Atlanta has some scary guys to catch passes.
LA Chargers - LOSS - They are a super bowl talented roster. Might be an ugly game.
New England - WIN - I think this will be low scoring and we can inch one out.
At Baltimore - LOSS - Lamar runs wild and Tucker wins it for them again.
Cincinnati - LOSS - simply because you’re going to have to outscore them.
At Miami - LOSS - on the road and a 50/50 game. They have scary offensive weapons.
At Buffalo - LOSS - same as the Charger game. This could be a route.
Tampa Bay - LOSS - assuming Brady stays healthy.
At Houston - WIN - desperate win for us with Watson in the fold.
At Cincinnati - LOSS - again, they have a great offense and Watson won’t be all there yet.
Baltimore - WIN - we split with them.
New Orleans - WIN - 50/50 game, but I’ll give it to us at home in the cold.
At Washington - WIN - they won’t have much to play for at this point, and neither will we.
At Pittsburgh - LOSS - they still have an outside shot at the playoffs at this point and we don’t.


7-9. I think this is pretty realistic.

That's actually 7-10, not that either gets us to the playoffs.

I'm thinking "what can 'brown' do for me... In other words, how would we "brown it up" in typical fashion.

How 'bout Brissett and Dobbs lead us to 7-4. Browns fans would be through the moon! Then Watson comes back rusty, we loose a couple in terrible fashion, loose a couple close ones, he finishes 1-5 to give us a 8-9 record. That seems about how it would work out with the most insult to injury... and that's our specialty.


HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 14,520
Likes: 1286
M
Legend
Offline
Legend
M
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 14,520
Likes: 1286
I tend to agree.

7-10 seems about right.

4-7 with Brissett and 3-3 to close out the season with Watson. I could see a 3-1 start, followed by 1-6 over the next 7 games.

It's a bummer that it's quite likely another season wasted with some of the best players in their prime. Additionally, Hunt and Johnson are likely gone next year. Clowney and Conklin will be a free agents.

Hope I'm wrong and it turns out to be a fun season.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 68,327
Likes: 1369
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 68,327
Likes: 1369
Bone, I understand how difficult trying to make a prediction before the season ever starts is. That's why it's more in fun than serious. I mean I'm sure some people actually think they know, but let's face it, there will be things that are unknown and out of our control no matter what. None of us have seen Brissett play with all of our starters against all of another teams starters. So you're in the same position as the rest of us. I'm certainly not trying to push you into making a prediction. It's just been an annual exercise we've all pretty much participated in since I can recall here on the board. As you can see by my initial post, it's all about perception. I have no idea how the season will play out. I just posted the things that are going through my mind, questions I have and what I think the most likely scenario might be. But hey man, suit yourself. I was really interested in your thought process going into the season and what you hoped you would see.


Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015
Likes: 147
F
Legend
Offline
Legend
F
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015
Likes: 147
Brisset will go 3-4
Dobbs will go 1-3
Watson will go 3-3
for a 7-10 season


We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 70,654
Likes: 510
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 70,654
Likes: 510
My bad 7-10


"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,190
Likes: 89
A
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
A
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,190
Likes: 89
Originally Posted by FloridaFan
Brisset will go 3-4
Dobbs will go 1-3
Watson will go 3-3
for a 7-10 season

Sounds reasonable.

Though if you switch the records of Brissett and Dobbs, that wouldn't be hard to fathom either (Brissett 1-3 / Dobbs 3-4).

And I realize Dobbs would have the tougher schedule.

Nothing ever seems to go "as planned" with the Browns.

Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 8,277
Likes: 362
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 8,277
Likes: 362
10-7, in Chubb I trust.


[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,771
Likes: 265
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,771
Likes: 265
If the Browns should go 5-12 or 6-11, that would give Stefanski a .500 record in 3-years or worst. People can make up all the excuses they want but the Browns have had playoff contender personal every year Stefanski has been the coach. Unlike the general team movement of keeping players based on possible potential, coaches are not normally given the option of having potential. If Stefanski's career record at Cleveland drops below .500 and concludes with 2 of 3 years posting a losing record - JMO, he will be in big trouble. I just don't believe that Stefanski will be the Browns Head Coach going into 2023 if he posts a losing record after 3 years.

I don't believe the Browns win a single game in the AFC North unless one of the teams suffer significant injuries. After the first 4 games, I suspect the Browns will lose the next 10 games. This includes Houston because Watson's timing will be so off after sitting so long that he will be totally ineffective. I think they can beat NOS and WAS in games 15 and 16 but finish with a loss to PIT. That would mean the Browns would have to go 4-0 to start the season which is possible but not probable. I expect wins against the NYJ and ATL with a possibility of beating CAR leaving them with 5 wins for the year if they can beat the Panthers. I think the weak WR group will be exposed as will the ineffective DT's early and often. People will want to blame it all on Brissett, but a QB is only as good as his supporting cast which in this case is a very poor WR group and a way over valued TE that forces the Browns to attempt to run the ball against 8 in the box - a week by week look the Browns will be facing, JMO. Opposing teams will run at will against the Browns due to their weak DT group.


Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,518
Likes: 147
M
mac Offline
Legend
Offline
Legend
M
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,518
Likes: 147
10-7 for 2022 and contend for a wild card spot.




Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,345
Likes: 255
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,345
Likes: 255
I choose to be optimistic about my team. 10-7. Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt will bully their way through the schedule


#gmstrong
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,262
Likes: 207
F
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
F
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,262
Likes: 207
10-7

JB plays just good enough to get us to 6-5 before Watson comes back. DW goes 4-2.

Chubb, Hunt, DJ, and even Ford carry this team all season.

Cooper, Njoku just move the chains enough.

OL stays healthy proves how good they.

MG, Clowney get 30 sacks combined

York has quite a few game winners

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 14,520
Likes: 1286
M
Legend
Offline
Legend
M
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 14,520
Likes: 1286
Originally Posted by Pdawg
Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt will bully their way through the schedule

This made me think back to something Jason Lloyd wrote in his article the other day...

Finally, I keep going back to this stat I dug up late last season after the loss at Green Bay: Over the last four years, teams that run the ball for at least 8 yards per carry are 12-12. Teams that average at least 12 yards per pass over that same time are 32-1. So no matter how incredible Chubb might be, dominating a game by running the ball assures you nothing anymore. Teams have to throw it effectively to win.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 12,280
Likes: 604
O
Legend
Offline
Legend
O
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 12,280
Likes: 604
I'm confused.

A quick google search is showing me that no NFL quarterback has gone over 9 yard/attempt in the past couple years. Tops last year was Joe Burrow, which is kinda funny within the context of this conversation because he has yet to beat the Browns.


There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,631
Likes: 1048
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,631
Likes: 1048
Ok. Off the cliff I go.

Hell nobody is going to take my home when I am wrong.

I am going to start on defense because right now I feel that is the strength of the team.

We are going into the third year and I think we have for the most part the players to execute what Woods wants to do.

We are not going to play a standard FS and SS. We will mix and match on down and distance. Harrison will play more in run support as a nickle.
Delpit and JJ will be primary. Delpit will be a surprise. IMO he is a very good player who had to recover from a achilles. He will help in getting critical turnovers.

We are really deep at corner. Ward will be our key boundary corner against number ones. Newsome has the potential to be one of the best corners in football. The Browns will move him into to the slot to play hard press physical man. Emerson has shown he can play and he will. Green is another guy that will play in packages. I think we may trade Greedy.

I like the linebackers because I believe JOK will be one of the best defensive players in football and be an all pro for years. Phillips has speed and shows burst. He is ready to have a good year. Taki is a damn good run defender. Walker is a smart player not great but savvy. As a unit I like them because they fit the scheme the requires coverage by the backers.

My primary concern is DT. I think Bryan and Elliott will good enough. I am hoping Elliott is a new and and improved version. Togiai and Winfrey scare me.

Winovich will play the Tak role. I know what Myles and Clowney can do. I am hoping Wright will develop over the season.

We are going to get more turnovers and it will help.
==============================================================================

We improved on Special Teams. It is sad we lost Jakeem. But we will at least be much improved kicking field goals. That really hurt us and now I am hoping it will really help us.
++++++++++++=+++++++++=+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

We have depth on the OL that we have not had. So if we get injuries on the OL we are better prepared to handle them. The OL is a force in the run game.

IMO we have the best running backs bar none. We will use them heavily especially with JB at qb.

Cooper is a big add and will be a security blanket for JB. He will get a lot of targets. DPJ is a solid number two. Bell is going to play and play well. He IMO will be reliable. I have no idea what Schwartz will do. But I do believe that Njoku and Bryant will play key roles especially on third downs. Felton and Hunt are going to get receptions and figure into a wide passing attack. I can see both used in the slot. We will use screens and motion to stop defenses from jamming the box.

I expect Jacoby to be efficient and not turn it over. He is not the guy to take over games and win alone. But he is good enough to win with.
When Watson returns I don't expect miracles but he is a really good quarterback. It will not take long for him to knock the rust off. Dobbs is fine as a backup and there maybe some packages for him when he comes in situations.

I see the Browns winning 10 or 11 games.

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 14,520
Likes: 1286
M
Legend
Offline
Legend
M
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 14,520
Likes: 1286
I assume it is yards per completion not per attempt.

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 12,280
Likes: 604
O
Legend
Offline
Legend
O
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 12,280
Likes: 604
So I went and looked up yard/completion. This stat makes a little more sense in that there are QBs who have achieved 12+.

But the list is hardly a who's who of QBs. Tops last year was Garrapolo. Burrow is up there. It's difficult because the top of the list is mostly backups who came in for a game or 2 and lit it up. 2021 Hoyer the Destroyer messed up the scale of the graph I was looking at. You know who else is up there? 2021 Baker Mayfield with 11.9. Mahomes, Rodgers, and Herbert were in the low 11's.

Point being, I don't know if Lloyd's little stat factoid holds up.


There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 68,327
Likes: 1369
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 68,327
Likes: 1369
Thanks Bone. The object of this thread has never been for everyone to agree. It's been about how they see it from their perspective. You expressed yourself well.


Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,850
Likes: 108
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,850
Likes: 108
I like yours! I will go a shade further and say 11-6. We possibly won't have as many injuries/COVID. We should be able to run it.
I think we can win on a FG now. Our edgies are tough. If we can avoid throwing to Schwartzzz, we can win. I believe this D can also score and put up some sacks and picks. Playoff slot, even if a WC.


"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,631
Likes: 1048
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,631
Likes: 1048
The thing is I have seen next to nothing on Jacoby.

I can read his stats but they are from a different time and place.

If he can be average and not turn it over we should be ok. A slight advantage is the first four games are not murderers row.

Perhaps he can get comfortable and settle into his role.

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 13,723
Likes: 174
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 13,723
Likes: 174
7 & 10 but of course I hope we do much better than that.

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 11,522
Likes: 1869
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 11,522
Likes: 1869
Originally Posted by oobernoober
So I went and looked up yard/completion. This stat makes a little more sense in that there are QBs who have achieved 12+.

But the list is hardly a who's who of QBs. Tops last year was Garrapolo. Burrow is up there. It's difficult because the top of the list is mostly backups who came in for a game or 2 and lit it up. 2021 Hoyer the Destroyer messed up the scale of the graph I was looking at. You know who else is up there? 2021 Baker Mayfield with 11.9. Mahomes, Rodgers, and Herbert were in the low 11's.

Point being, I don't know if Lloyd's little stat factoid holds up.
The reference is to single games. It doesn't seem unfathomable to me that we could find eight times per season (32-1 over four years) that a QB averaged over 12 per attempt. I still think it's a silly way to compare things with arbitrary numbers. More often than not, numbers like that for a QB would indicate at least a couple back-breaking plays. It would also usually indicate something like 12-17 for about 200... meaning they probably had a balanced attack and a formidable run game in the contest as well.

More of a "fun with numbers" exercise than anything else...


HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season Browns 2022 Win Loss Record Prediction Thread

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5