Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
The first 4 games will be a barometer on the season for us IMO. I don't think we'll do any better than 2-2 but if we can somehow win at least 3 or all 4 (hard to fathom) we may end up having a better year than most of us think.

2nd String
2nd String
Originally Posted by bonefish
I guess it is just me but I can not just pack it in before a single game has been played.

Rosters in the NFL are ever changing and by a lot. New players enter the league. Free agents move to other teams. Some players improve by big margins. Others decline. Injuries hit all teams and we don't know where they will hit.

Yes there is history for Jacoby Brissett and he is a backup. But we have not seen him play with this team.

There is a lot of talent on the Browns. Myles, Chubb, Hunt, Ward, Newsome, Bitonio, Teller, Cooper, Jok, Clowney, Delpit.

We have depth especially in the secondary and at running back. Places other teams do not have and positions often hit by injury.

We do not need miracles from JB. All we need is efficient play.

I can not in fairness sit here today and say "oh the Browns ceiling is 8 games. Sorry, no can do.

ThanK you. This fan base screams and cries way too much. Not one game has been played and as low as 2 wins?!? I predict we will win some and lose some. It’s not like my life is any different either way. It’s a game I’m not gambling on.

Who let the Dawgs out???
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Ok. Off the cliff I go.

Hell nobody is going to take my home when I am wrong.

I am going to start on defense because right now I feel that is the strength of the team.

We are going into the third year and I think we have for the most part the players to execute what Woods wants to do.

We are not going to play a standard FS and SS. We will mix and match on down and distance. Harrison will play more in run support as a nickle.
Delpit and JJ will be primary. Delpit will be a surprise. IMO he is a very good player who had to recover from a achilles. He will help in getting critical turnovers.

We are really deep at corner. Ward will be our key boundary corner against number ones. Newsome has the potential to be one of the best corners in football. The Browns will move him into to the slot to play hard press physical man. Emerson has shown he can play and he will. Green is another guy that will play in packages. I think we may trade Greedy.

I like the linebackers because I believe JOK will be one of the best defensive players in football and be an all pro for years. Phillips has speed and shows burst. He is ready to have a good year. Taki is a damn good run defender. Walker is a smart player not great but savvy. As a unit I like them because they fit the scheme the requires coverage by the backers.

My primary concern is DT. I think Bryan and Elliott will good enough. I am hoping Elliott is a new and and improved version. Togiai and Winfrey scare me.

Winovich will play the Tak role. I know what Myles and Clowney can do. I am hoping Wright will develop over the season.

We are going to get more turnovers and it will help.
==============================================================================

We improved on Special Teams. It is sad we lost Jakeem. But we will at least be much improved kicking field goals. That really hurt us and now I am hoping it will really help us.
++++++++++++=+++++++++=+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

We have depth on the OL that we have not had. So if we get injuries on the OL we are better prepared to handle them. The OL is a force in the run game.

IMO we have the best running backs bar none. We will use them heavily especially with JB at qb.

Cooper is a big add and will be a security blanket for JB. He will get a lot of targets. DPJ is a solid number two. Bell is going to play and play well. He IMO will be reliable. I have no idea what Schwartz will do. But I do believe that Njoku and Bryant will play key roles especially on third downs. Felton and Hunt are going to get receptions and figure into a wide passing attack. I can see both used in the slot. We will use screens and motion to stop defenses from jamming the box.

I expect Jacoby to be efficient and not turn it over. He is not the guy to take over games and win alone. But he is good enough to win with.
When Watson returns I don't expect miracles but he is a really good quarterback. It will not take long for him to knock the rust off. Dobbs is fine as a backup and there maybe some packages for him when he comes in situations.

I see the Browns winning 10 or 11 games.
For the past 4 years, the Browns have been penciled
In as a playoff team. But as the case, this franchise has failed
To be a contender more often than not.
Every year we read the same "this is our year, it has too much
Talent to finish with only 6 wins" etc etc
Has this team really improved enough to be a playoff team?
Alot of teams on the Browns schedule has made upgrades

Is Brissett a upgrade over Mayfield?
The WR room may be better than last years
But I have seen nothing from DPJ or Schwartz so far that
Screams TD makers or playmakers.
I don't see any difference makers at the DTs
The LBers are meh other than JOK.

I just don't see enough that makes this a playoff roster
Yeah the Browns can run the ball
How did that work for the Titans last year?

T
Legend
Legend
T
It takes more than not turning the ball over to win a game with a @uarterback. If Jacoby Brissett stands well in the pocket,
doesn't turn the ball over, and distributes the ball to the eligible receivers effectively,
and the Browns still have no better than a 3 and out, or a single first down followed by a punt, on 4 out of 5 drives.
Then that is almost as bad as a bunch of turnovers, and the Browns will lose on game day(s). (Analytics)

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
if we don’t go 2-2 or better in the first 4 we’re in for a LONG year

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed. But except for 3 or 4 aren't we used to LONG years?

Legend
Legend
The Browns won eight games last year with a injured quarterback who played poorly.

They lost 2 games that they flat gave away.

I think they can do better with Jacoby and Watson. They have a better defense and kicking game.

History and "oh the Browns this and that" means nothing.

Every year is different. This is 2022.

Someone who predicts winning six can be just as wrong as someone predicting eleven.

I would rather see the glass half full before a game is played than half empty.

1 member likes this: mac
V
Legend
Legend
V
Don't let them get you down. The thread is supposed to be fun. None of us know the future. Hell, I would have never believed you if you told me we were going to have a losing record last year. In the end, our predictions mean nothing. This should just be fun.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
The Browns won eight games last year with a injured quarterback who played poorly.

They lost 2 games that they flat gave away.

I think they can do better with Jacoby and Watson. They have a better defense and kicking game.

History and "oh the Browns this and that" means nothing.

Every year is different. This is 2022.

Someone who predicts winning six can be just as wrong as someone predicting eleven.

I would rather see the glass half full before a game is played than half empty.
The Browns of course can reach the playoffs.
But alot has to go in their favor. I just don't see alot of room
For error.
I think Stefanski is going to have to do the best coaching
Job of his life.he is going to have to figure out how
To get at least 25 points per game out of the offense
Woods needs to create schemes to force more turnovers
Return game needs to give Brissett short fields
And Brissett will have to play above his head in order
To really give this team a chance

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Bone, I agree with your reasoning and the explanation you posted...

I will add a bit more...it's time for the this Browns organization to backup their beliefs and plans concerning how they have operated over the last 6 years.

Ownership, management, coaching and support staffs are about to be tested in this 2022 season...and if the folks I named are "as advertised"...it should transfer to the field and this franchise should be able to win 10 games and challenge for a playoff spot.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
@Carolina - LOSS
NY Jets - WIN
Pittsburgh - LOSS
@Atlanta - WIN
LA Chargers - LOSS
NE Patriots - LOSS
@Baltimore - LOSS
Cincinnati - LOSS
@Miami - WIN
@Buffalo - LOSS
Tampa - LOSS (3-8 w/ Briskett)
@Houston - WIN
@Cincinnati - LOSS
Baltimore - LOSS
NO Saints - WIN
@Washington - WIN
@Pittsburgh - LOSS (3-3 w/ Watson)

6-11 overall.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
Legend
Legend
11-5

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Bravo Swish.

I love optimism.

Legend
Legend
Bravo Swish.

I love optimism.

we got a squad i dunno why people are this down on the team. i get the watson nonsense is a drain but let's not act like this is a roster full of bums just because we have a backup QB the first 11 games.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Swish
11-5

It's a 17 game season Swish

smile

1 member likes this: Swish
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by DeisleDawg
11-5

smile

12-5

- Theodore Roosevelt
1 member likes this: DeisleDawg
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
11-5

smile

12-5

The optimist adds 1 to the W, the pessimist adds 1 to the L.

Love it.

2 members like this: DeisleDawg, Swish
O
Legend
Legend
O
Swish, what kind of odds can I get on the under 12 games? I'd take a big chunk of that action. Seriously, I just want to see how optimistic you really are. wink I agree it's possible, but not probable with a backup QB for eleven games. And if winning football games was based solely on the talent a team has, we should have been killing in the last 3-4 years like clockwork, but some how reality keeps getting in our way.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 09/04/22 10:12 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I don't think he's foolish enough to put odds on an unlikely dream.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
It's nice to be optimistic. I hate to be negative although I am at times. I'd like to think of myself as a realist and what I see right now with my beloved Browns does not equate to a 10–11-win season. I could be wrong and hope I am. We'll start to see how things are in 6 days.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I certainly understand optimism. And I certainly don't object to people looking at things that way. Often times it gets labeled as being a "Homer" and people often see that phrase in a negative light. I actually don't. There's nothing wrong with people searching for every possible positive thing about their team while blissfully ignoring the obvious questions and negatives. At one point in time I looked at it much the same way. But over the decades, at least from my experience, all it seemed to do was set me up for disappointment.

Brissett has started in the NFL before. For me there's nothing there that would lead me to conclude he can lead a team in the AFC North to 10 wins or more. Sure I know people are saying "Yeah but he was starting for different teams". That's true. But that isn't going to change his skill set or arm strength. And the Browns opponents know that. For all of the things the Browns can use with Brissett, every team they will be playing is fully aware of what Brissett can and can not do. It's not some great secret they won't be ready for.

Being a realist isn't always a bed of roses. But I look at it this way. If I look at things from a realistic standpoint I'm never disappointed if the results play out as expected. While if I'm wrong I'm always pleasantly surprised. It just seems to work better for me than the other way around. But to each their own.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: Homewood Dog
Legend
Legend
I certainly understand optimism.

We can tell by your posts. thumbsup

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Great comeback response. Where do you ever come up with such witty banter?

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The bad ju-ju the Browns seem to be soaking in this off season could either lead to a team in a funk all season or a team that quietly puts together a decent season while no one is looking. Much rides on the defense. Also, Brissett could game-manage himself into a pretty good spot by the time Watson comes back. I could see them being 6-5 on defense and possession football alone. I wouldn’t be surprised if Watson also ends up near .500. He’s bound to be rusty and every defensive player wants Watson for his trophy wall. Everyone besides browns fans wants him to fail spectacularly and lots of players are going to be extra juiced to knock the tar out of him. It would not surprise me one bit if he actually looks worse than Brissett and people are questioning.

All that aside, we have what looks to me to be one of the easiest schedules in recent years. One reason I like Stefanski is he’s super steady, super professional and just not terribly emotional. I think that helps a team when they’ve had as much self induced chaos as we’ve had this year. If the team settles down quickly and stays focused, the bad ju-ju can dissipate and if they can get to 2-1 in the first 3 games, I could see this team in the wildcard conversation at the end. I’m still very ambivalent about this team right now and I’m not going out of my way to watch them but I know there’s a lot of good players besides Watson. It just depends on how they show up.

9-8

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by FrankZ
11-5

smile

12-5

The optimist adds 1 to the W, the pessimist adds 1 to the L.

Love it.

I feel 11-12 wins.

I don't like being a fan of a team and think negative thoughts about them. Especially by not judging by watching a preseason !

I want to be a fan and believe the team I root for can be good to very good !

I don't look back at the past, only now.

And right now I hope for 11-12 wins.

As of now the Browns are 0-0. Nothing to be negative about.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

You do realize you're a fan of the Cleveland Browns, right?? One of, if not the, worst run professional sports franchises ever.

Right??

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
C
Legend
Legend
C

2 members like this: mgh888, Milk Man
Legend
Legend
If that is your true belief why bother?

No offense really. But if you dislike everything about the team and feel they will suck. Why trouble yourself?

Lots of things out there to spend time on. If the hot iron burns don't touch it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by GraffZ06

You do realize you're a fan of the Cleveland Browns, right?? One of, if not the, worst run professional sports franchises ever.

Right??

Don't come at me like I'm an idiot !

That [censored] doesn't fly with me !

I go to games and support this team and most importantly don't attack another Browns fan !

As I see your posting that you're not happy with a worse franchise ever.

your posting on this board why ?

Because you realize what ? and like what ?

You have an opinion on the team and organization and that's all cool...

asking me if I realize if I'm a fan is NOT !!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Being a realist isn't always a bed of roses. But I look at it this way. If I look at things from a realistic standpoint I'm never disappointed if the results play out as expected. While if I'm wrong I'm always pleasantly surprised. It just seems to work better for me than the other way around. But to each their own.

A bed of roses.. OUCH !!!

Roses have way too many thorns for my butt to be laying on ! LOL !

Nice thread by the way !

Legend
Legend
CBS has us at 6-11 for this coming season. ESPN has the under on 8.5 wins.

I am sad to say that I think this will be the case.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by YTownBrownsFan
CBS has us at 6-11 for this coming season. ESPN has the under on 8.5 wins.

I am sad to say that I think this will be the case.

The same idiots who said the Browns were winning the SB in 2021

The media is a joke ...Don't fall for BS !!!

They know more or less than you or I.

Just making a lil money of their nonsense !!

The Media is the devil ! Why do you let the devil in ?

Maybe change your sig.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Some of us will be right with our predictions and some will be wrong. We start to get an idea next Sunday.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Maybe I'm outta line saying this, but I kinda got the feeling that we're putting predictions out there based on an incomplete or poor understanding of what Brissett is going to bring to the table. I'm going to try to look into it and see what I can see.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BrisJa00.htm
JB was a backup in NE in 2016. 2017, he was the starter for Indy. IIRC, this was because Luck retired like 5 minutes before week1 that season. His stats for that year are
276 completions for a hair over 3k yards @ just under 60% comp%
13TD : 7int and took 52 sacks (!) for a 81.7 rating

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
Does that jive with the idea that JB has maybe less arm talent but takes less sacks and has less turnovers than BM? I'm not sure if you are thinking JB is better or worse than people imagine?

With the running game as good as it is - I don't think JB will have the game on his shoulders, very much game management and executing a deep throw once the D has been set up to bite on play action.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Sonnofa biscuit!

Cursor got itchy and I hit submit too early. Went to edit and it timed out, so I lost a long post. I'll try again.

JB was a backup in NE in 2016. 2017, he was the starter for Indy. IIRC, this was because Luck retired like 5 minutes before week1 that season. His stats for that year are

IMO, this points to his line. It was rated 25th in the league, and the story was that Luck (who again, had just retired) was banged up from having nobody blocking for him and nobody catching for him. His RB was Frank Gore, who was 12th in the NFL for total yards.

He apparently lost the starting gig in 2018, but got it back in 2019, which seems odd.

In 2019, his total attempts went down, as did his total yards (just under 3k). His completion percentage did bump up just above 60%, though. He threw 5 more TDs and 1 less pick, but took almost half the amount of sacks. His Oline was ranked 3rd that year, and his RB was Marlon Mack who was 11th in the league in total yards.

So what does that mean?
IMO...

JB will take care of the ball. So long as the Oline does its thing, he won't take a ton of sacks. He does a good job of not throwing picks regardless if he's running for his life or not. He's not going to be slinging the ball around throwing a ton of TDs, though.
His stats are an easy comparison to injured-Baker. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MayfBa00.htm

Similar enough yardage, similar TDs. Less picks and should have way less sacks. He's credited with 2 comebacks and 3 GW drives. Baker is 6 and 7, accordingly.

JB isn't going to win us games, but he's not going to lose them either. We should be ok with him in there, unless we start chucking the ball all over the field, for whatever reason.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted by oobernoober
He apparently lost the starting gig in 2018, but got it back in 2019, which seems odd.

Luck was injured for all of 2017 (Shoulder), and return for 2018 before retiring

Last edited by FloridaFan; 09/06/22 12:05 PM.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
1 member likes this: oobernoober
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Sonnofa biscuit!

Cursor got itchy and I hit submit too early. Went to edit and it timed out, so I lost a long post. I'll try again.

IMO, this points to his line. It was rated 25th in the league, and the story was that Luck (who again, had just retired) was banged up from having nobody blocking for him and nobody catching for him. His RB was Frank Gore, who was 12th in the NFL for total yards.

In 2019, his total attempts went down, as did his total yards (just under 3k). His completion percentage did bump up just above 60%, though. He threw 5 more TDs and 1 less pick, but took almost half the amount of sacks. His Oline was ranked 3rd that year, and his RB was Marlon Mack who was 11th in the league in total yards.

So what does that mean?
IMO...

JB will take care of the ball. So long as the Oline does its thing, he won't take a ton of sacks. He does a good job of not throwing picks regardless if he's running for his life or not. He's not going to be slinging the ball around throwing a ton of TDs, though.
His stats are an easy comparison to injured-Baker. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MayfBa00.htm

Similar enough yardage, similar TDs. Less picks and should have way less sacks. He's credited with 2 comebacks and 3 GW drives. Baker is 6 and 7, accordingly.

JB isn't going to win us games, but he's not going to lose them either. We should be ok with him in there, unless we start chucking the ball all over the field, for whatever reason.

Informative post.

Just a couple corrections:

On September 2, 2017, Brissett was traded to the Indianapolis Colts for wide receiver Phillip Dorsett; the Colts had needed another quarterback after Andrew Luck suffered an injury. On September 10, 2017, Brissett made his debut with the Colts, relieving starting quarterback Scott Tolzien in the fourth quarter, and completed 2-of-3 passes for 51 yards as the Colts lost to the Los Angeles Rams 46–9. The following week, he earned his first start with the Colts and threw for 216 yards against the Arizona Cardinals. After a 13–13 tie in regulation, Brissett threw an interception to Tyrann Mathieu in the first play of overtime, leading to an Arizona Cardinals 16–13 victory.

Brissett was set to be the Colts' backup quarterback heading into the 2019 season. However, on August 24, 2019, two weeks before the start of the 2019 regular season, Andrew Luck abruptly announced his retirement. Colts general manager Chris Ballard confirmed in a subsequent press conference that Brissett would be the full-time starting quarterback going into the season. On September 2, 2019, Brissett signed a two-year, $30 million contract with the Colts, with $20 million guaranteed, a contract he again negotiated himself because he doesn't "like people to BS on his behalf." He was previously in the final year of his rookie contract and was set to make $2 million for the season.

Quoting oober: In 2019, his total attempts went down, as did his total yards (just under 3k). His completion percentage did bump up just above 60%, though. He threw 5 more TDs and 1 less pick, but took almost half the amount of sacks. His Oline was ranked 3rd that year, and his RB was Marlon Mack who was 11th in the league in total yards.

In 2017, Brissett took over a 2016 Colts team that was 8-8 and led them to a 4-12 record in 2017.

In 2019, Brissett took over a 2018 Colts team that was 10-6 and fresh off a 1-1 playoff record and led them to a 7-9 record in 2019.

To be looking at the correct numbers for Brissett:

2016 (2 starts)_______34/55__61.8% ____0 TD's 0 INT's___3 Fumbles__ 1 lost ____ 6 sacks__46 yards lost
2017 (15 Starts)____276/469_ 58.8%____13 TD's 7 INT's___8 Fumbles___3 lost____52 sacks_305 yards lost
2018 ( 0 Starts)
2019 (15 Starts)____272/447_60.8%____18 TD's 6 INT's___7 Fumbles___5 lost_____27 sacks_159 yards lost
2020 ( 0 starts)
2021 ( 5 starts)____141/225_ 62.7%_____5 TD's 4 INT's___6 Fumbles___3 lost_____19 sacks__32 yards lost

Just to correct some false statements being thrown about on this forum:

Brissett for his career (37 starts) has been sacked 106 times for 657 yards lost which is an 8.1% sack rate.
Mayfield for his career (59 starts) has been sacked 134 times for 889 yards lost which is an 6.5% sack rate.
Brissett taking less sacks than Mayfield is a lie.

Brissett for his career (37 starts) has thrown 36 TD's on 1208 attempts for a TD rate of 3.0%.
Mayfield for his career (59 starts) has thrown 92 TD's on 1924 attempts for a TD rate of 4.8%.
Similarity in passing TD's is a lie.

Brissett for his career (37 starts) has fumbled the ball 24 times losing 12. When based on pass attempts (1208), that's a 2.0% fumble rate with a 1.0% lost rate.
Mayfield for his career (59 starts) has fumbled the ball 27 times losing 12. When based on pass attempts (1924), that's a 1.4% fumble rate with a .6 lost rate.
Brissett taking care of the ball in regards to fumbles is a lie.

Brissett has thrown 17 INT's in his career starts. That's an INT rate based on attempts of 1.4%.
Mayfield has thrown 56 INT's in his career starts. That's an INT rate based on attempts of 2.9%.
This statement is true that Brissett will take better care of the ball when throwing. History shows there would be 1.5% less INT's for 1.8% less passing TD's with Brissett at the helm.

Other areas of note:
Brissett completion pct.: 727/1208 60.2%
Mayfield completion pct.: 1185/1924 61.6%

Starting Record Regular season:
Brissett 14-23 .378
Mayfield 29-30 .492

Career QB Rating:
Brissett 83.0
Mayfield 87.8

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
O
Legend
Legend
O
Easy there, Turbo.

This is a 2022 prediction thread. I'm trying to figure out what we should expect from JB this year. My comparison to BM was simply because he was the QB last year. I specifically said I was comparing to "injured-Baker" (as in last year). I'm doing that to try to sorta highlight differences to estimate what we're going to get from him. To be transparent, my overall expectation is that we do at least as well as we did last year... and to be clear, I think that will have more to do with the health of the Oline and how our WR room shakes out vs how Jacoby does. I'm not comparing Baker the QB to Jacoby the QB. Baker is much much better and his career #s, as you pointed out, can prove that.

That said, I do think JB should be fine operating this offense so long as he doesn't have to shoulder too much of the load. If he can make easy completions and hit on just enough shots downfield to keep defenses honest, then our offense should be fine.

Similarly, comparing a season with Luck starting vs a season with Jacoby starting is silly. Luck is/was (obviously) the better QB.

I also got my Luck timeline mixed up, so thank you for pointing that out.

-PrplPplEater
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Easy there, Turbo.

This is a 2022 prediction thread. I'm trying to figure out what we should expect from JB this year. My comparison to BM was simply because he was the QB last year. I specifically said I was comparing to "injured-Baker" (as in last year). I'm doing that to try to sorta highlight differences to estimate what we're going to get from him. To be transparent, my overall expectation is that we do at least as well as we did last year... and to be clear, I think that will have more to do with the health of the Oline and how our WR room shakes out vs how Jacoby does. I'm not comparing Baker the QB to Jacoby the QB. Baker is much much better and his career #s, as you pointed out, can prove that.

That said, I do think JB should be fine operating this offense so long as he doesn't have to shoulder too much of the load. If he can make easy completions and hit on just enough shots downfield to keep defenses honest, then our offense should be fine.

Similarly, comparing a season with Luck starting vs a season with Jacoby starting is silly. Luck is/was (obviously) the better QB.

I also got my Luck timeline mixed up, so thank you for pointing that out.

Sorry if there was a misunderstanding. I didn't want it to be a focus on Mayfield either. However, when post after post dictates that Brissett won't take the sacks or that he takes care of the ball better, that is simply not the truth. Unfortunately, if the comparison is going to be made then you have to take off the rose-colored glasses and look at what Brissett is bringing to the table based on the only thing we can and that's his past history. Example, to say that he's in better shape due to our o-line when he played 2 seasons behind the #3 Indy line is a stretch at best. I too have a question about our o-line because we are at a 3rd level center after last year, Conklin is a freaking huge question and Wills PFF rating and performance (according to Vers chart) has been at the replace or backup level since entering the league. That is not the top o-line in the NFL even with the best guard tandem in the NFL. So, the questions I have are much like yours. If our o-line slips with the questions at WR, can Brissett carry this team? If everything is perfect, maybe. With the questions that need to be answered, very questionable.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season Browns 2022 Win Loss Record Prediction Thread

Link Copied to Clipboard