Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
Legend
Legend
V
JB has not played a game yet. The last thing this team needs is more controversy. The media creates many stories after listening to grumbling fans. Having the media asking the coaches and other players about which QB should be playing would be yet one more distraction. If you want the team to win, it's probably best for you guys to not add fuel to the fire of the backup playing ahead of the designated starter.

Legend
Legend
The question about how will DW play when he comes back is interesting.

I go back and forth on that myself. He was in the facility since spring. He has to be highly motivated. He will be as healthy as he has ever been. He can workout on his own. He can study film and watch games. He can prepare himself to face the teams he will play. He can come back to the facility and practice with plenty of time to be ready for his first game.

How much is missed from no live games? I don't know. Will rust be a factor? I am not sure. I was wondering if the Browns will use VR in training? I have no idea how extensive they can go in VR. If you could simulate a particular defense?

I believe DW is dedicated player who will do all he can to be ready to play.

But the rust question is a valid question.

M
mgh888 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by bonefish
The question about how will DW play when he comes back is interesting.

If the Browns are in contention to make or squeak into the playoffs this year when DW returns - then obviously his play on the field this year might matter a lot. I'm not sure how likely that scenario is. For me - I'm going to judge DW on his performance next year and moving forward - and to justify 3 first round picks and a (possibly) lost season of players in their prime - DW needs to be at worst a top 5 maybe top 6 QB in the NFL. Based on his performance on the field before he quit on Houston, that's very possible. Clearly the drama, the length of time away from a meaningful appearance in a game are risks ... but I think most people would back him to regain his form/ability.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
JB has not played a game yet. The last thing this team needs is more controversy. The media creates many stories after listening to grumbling fans. Having the media asking the coaches and other players about which QB should be playing would be yet one more distraction. If you want the team to win, it's probably best for you guys to not add fuel to the fire of the backup playing ahead of the designated starter.

I don't think I am adding fuel to the fire. I am just expressing how I think things will go. I might be right, I might be wrong.

The media doesn't need to listen to me, all they have to do is watch the games. I also don't see the QB controversy. Watson is the QB. If there is going to be any controversy it will be between which back-up is better. I don't think long term it is going to hurt anything. I think the main goal is to win as many as we can headed towards week 11. If that means one or the other back-up, fine, if it means a combination of the two, fine.

This isn't the same as going with your new starting QB and sticking with it because you at least hope he is the long term solution. Brissett and Dobbs are stop gap measures, and as such don't get the same leeway as your "starter".

At least IMO.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
York for OROY

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Swish
York for OROY

MVP dude.. MVP.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
VR should be used, it can sure replicate the speed of the game....I hope he gets the currently one case settled while gone. Hope he gets his treatment done correctly. He has GUARANTEED money- hope he comes back hungry....time will tell.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Legend
Legend
I’d like to add York to my list

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
O
Legend
Legend
O
Jacoby is a bust. I can't imagine anyone honestly equating him to Baker. He's more like a hybrid Colt McCoy mixed with a bit of Tyrod Taylor. Anybody saying he's better than the last guy or good enough to win with consistently is a HOMER.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
L
Legend
Legend
L
That seems rather extreme.

He did QB us to a win today, which means something.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
2 members like this: Versatile Dog, jfanent
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I don't think he is bust, he is a career backup and the guy taking snaps right now. He played safe, he had some good, some bad but nothing exceptional or horrible.

I think Baker is a better QB but he's not with us anymore.

I'm a homer and I am proud of it. laugh

L
Legend
Legend
L
No one is saying he’s a franchise quarterback

gmstrong

-----------------

T
Legend
Legend
T
After game number Uno is in the books.
Booms:
Demetric Felton
James Hudson
and as always... the Underappreciated
David Njoku.
Boom.
( I'm still not rooting for Brissett, no matter how well he plays. ) ( With my luck the Browns will win 59 straight, and 3 Super Bowls all with Brissett, and I"M STILL not rooting for Brissett.) And if I did, they'd start losing again.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Njoku as a boom?

Didn't he only get 1 target?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by lampdogg
That seems rather extreme.

He did QB us to a win today, which means something.

We all know this game should have never been close and I would be happy to give Baker credit for that, but the truth is we were almost beat by Baker and a couple of good players on his team, while the rest played like rookies and scrubs. And Ski is wreckless with his 4th down calls, a good team is going to teach him that this year. But you are right, we got the win with him under center, so props for that today. Still would rather see Dobbs.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 09/11/22 10:05 PM.

L
Legend
Legend
L
JD is an intriguing option should Brissett get hurt, but until then we must hope Jacoby gets us enough wins until DW comes back

gmstrong

-----------------

O
Legend
Legend
O
I don't say who plays on Sundays, I just express my opinions. And right now my opinion of JB isn't that he's a bad guy, but I think his play will cost us games this season. Rather anyone wants to actually admit it or not, he almost did today. You can't tell me you weren't on the anxiety express when Baker threw a one-play TD, then drove for the go-ahead FG... I was on the edge of my seat thinking how many times will we do this, losing late in the opener.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 09/11/22 10:30 PM.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Translation: When the Browns win w/JB, it is because of everyone else despite how terrible JB is. And when the Browns lose when Baker throws four picks and takes dumb sacks, it is the fault of everyone else. LMAO.............go root for Carolina.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I think he was talking about Dobbs

gmstrong

-----------------

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think you might want to re-read it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I wasn't expecting a ton, but Brissett still underwhelmed me. Everything outbreaking seemed off and he had some questionable decisions. There was the lead boots factor as well. I'm not entirely counting him out, but I am also wondering how fast we can get Mond up to speed. I'm all for saying screw it, and going all in on read-option/RPO with Dobbs and Mond until Watson is eligible to return. If they get dinged up, Vince Young might still be more mobile than Brissett (I would probably call up RG3 first, though.)

Hopefully he looks better next week.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
We all know this game should have never been close and I would be happy to give Baker credit for that, but the truth is we were almost beat by Baker and a couple of good players on his team, while the rest played like rookies and scrubs.

OCD,

I'm just quoting the part I am responding to in your post.

While on paper the game shouldn't of been close, it's just not how it works.

Just look at this past weekend:

Detroit came back in the fourth to lose by 3 to the Eagles

The freaking Texans tied the Colts.....the Texans were winning the whole game

Niners / Bears.....did you expect the Bears to win?

Steelers / Cincy - i might be reaching saying did you expect Pitt to win

Saints / Falcons - did you expect the Falcons to be winning the whole game only to lose on a last second field goal?

Giants / Titans - did you expect Giants would win this?

------------------------

The season will play out and we will find out who the real contenders are, but sticking to my point.....a couple good players is all it takes to win any given Sunday.

A win is a win, no matter how it is won. Today's win is one less "if we just would've won...." scenario we do not have to talk about towards the end of the season.

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
Legend
Legend
I’m going to carefully say this, but James Hudson looked serviceable yesterday. Given where he was 2 years ago that’s a miracle. Bill Callahan at work

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
I’m going to carefully say this, but James Hudson looked serviceable yesterday. Given where he was 2 years ago that’s a miracle. Bill Callahan at work

2 years ago he was playing for the UC Bearcats.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: oobernoober
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by jfanent
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life

2 years ago he was playing for the UC Bearcats.
Do you remember him in preseason? (Maybe it was LAST year … and if that’s the case, that’s even more incredible). He was horrendous. Like unplayable, even in the preseason lol

R
Legend
Legend
R
On the flip side, Wills had a few really bad plays. Burns is a pretty decent player but still. I remember a complete whiff on Burns which resulted in a TFL on Hunt. And on the roughing call on Brissett at the end he just got walked back by Burns. No base, no resistance to the bull rush.

Legend
Legend
Good point about Burns. He disrupted a few key plays (I think the TFL was a key 3rd down and short that could have helped us secure a win earlier).

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by oobernoober
Njoku as a boom?

Didn't he only get 1 target?

He mostly stayed in to block to help the run game, and did a really good job with it. His PFF rating for the game was high.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
2 members like this: jfanent, oobernoober
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, he did a great job of blocking.

1 member likes this: oobernoober
Legend
Legend
IMO he is a backup quarterback.

In the fourth quarter JB was 7 for 10. He got the team in a position to win the game.

He did not turn the ball over. He made some critical third down throws.

He left some big plays on the field.

A bust? Sorry I do think so.

I am a homer and proud of it.

3 members like this: oobernoober, FrankZ, Versatile Dog
R
Legend
Legend
R
Brissett had two really good throws on the last drive. A game saving throw to DPJ of about 12-15 yards after Hunt got tackled for a loss and then the final pass to Cooper to get into field goal range. Clutch plays.

1 member likes this: jfanent
Legend
Legend
JB played kinda of the way he was expected to play.

Nothing special but solid. His limitations are obvious.

However, I do believe he can be efficient. We only need him to play like he did.

We have to rely on the team to win games.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I just posted the OL grades in the other forum. They weren't that great. Safe to say that Jacoby did a nice job of not taking sacks. I am not saying he had a great game. He made a couple of horrible throws. Not sure why he leaves his feet at times? However, he avoided sacks and never once crumbled in the pocket which would create a needless sack. He also did not turn the ball over.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I am really hoping that him and Cooper can get a connection going. It was fun to see Cooper's route running on display, especially against their highly touted corner, Horn. With Brissett being able to stay in and climb up the pocket, he just needs to find the right time to release the ball to get Cooper some big gains.

Brissett doesn't even need to be very good for this. Just get some timing down with Cooper.

Legend
Legend
I agree. We desperately need Cooper to have a good run for us here

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Corey Bojorquez was a Boom

placed the ball nicely on his punts.

Didn't miss the Hammer a bit.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by DeisleDawg
Corey Bojorquez was a Boom

placed the ball nicely on his punts.

Didn't miss the Hammer a bit.

Bro, you brought up Special teams in my thread about Keys to the Game. Damn man, how right you turned out to be!
thumbsup

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by bonefish
JB played kinda of the way he was expected to play.

Nothing special but solid. His limitations are obvious.

However, I do believe he can be efficient. We only need him to play like he did.

We have to rely on the team to win games.

I'll add that I hope part of yesterday is a chemistry issue that can be worked on/improved. He's going to have to start hitting on those looks he missed early in the game if we're going to hang with the likes of Chargers, Chiefs, etc.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Translation: When the Browns win w/JB, it is because of everyone else despite how terrible JB is.

He threw for 147 yards man. All you have to do is substitute JB with BM and that's the same thing you've been saying for years. Now suddenly there's something wrong with it? When your QB goes 18-34 for 147 yards, are you seriously trying to give him credit for the win?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Just to chime in w/this. I definitely think Baker is better than Brissett and had they exchanged places yesterday we would have won the game still … but I also understand the caveat: we also have Watson in the fold, so eventually Brissett will be the backup to Watson. That’s a good QB room.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Players - Booms and Busts.

Link Copied to Clipboard